Alex Hartley, the spin coach of Multan, was able to rectify Usama Mir's bowling in 4 weeks, while our coaches couldnt do it for months

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Usama Mir looks like a different bowler completely under the female head coach. He is bowling at the right lengths and has control over what he is bowling.

Meanwhile, with the national team, he was bowling full tosses and all over the pitch.

Alexandra Hartley fixed him up in just 4 weeks. A shame to our national coaches. I hope we can bring this female staff to our national team in future.

This is because PCB cannot understand the difference between a successful player and a qualified coach.

Every single sport is filled with examples of successful players who didn’t the first thing about coaching and successful coaches who never had any success as players but were outstanding coaches with very strong technical understanding and ability to relay the information to the players and drive improvement.

I have no idea if Hartley is the one who fixed Mir's bowling, I still want to see how he performs under real pressure against the world's best batsmen. But I have no problem believing she might have fixed some issues, simply because coaching in first world countries is on another level. To even attain a basic badge in the UK you have to go through some pretty rigorous exams.

I have no idea what passes for coaching in Pakistan, but I did ask once before how would you assess it against respected coaching in places like England or Australia.

Yeah just wait for international standard batsmen and then Alex Hartley will also have to re-evaluate her own coaching methods

If you see Saj's interview with her. She said she basically instilled confidence in him, and helped him in his bowling follow-through.
I feel like Pakistan coaches don't have the ability to instill confidence in players. They just like to put people down and play the blame game and that creates a toxic enviroment where talent goes to die.

If you see Saj's interview with her. She said she basically instilled confidence in him, and helped him in his bowling follow-through.
I feel like Pakistan coaches don't have the ability to instill confidence in players. They just like to put people down and play the blame game and that creates a toxic enviroment where talent goes to die.
share the link plz

Her coaching methods would have been different to what Usama has encountered previously.

Pakistani coaching relies mainly on jazba, body language, don't play with fear and the best buzzword natural game.

Usama was always a good T20 bowler. His stats however suffer in the ODI and 4 day format

He took 20 wickets last season too

He knows how to bowl in PSL. That’s about it so far I guess

Her coaching methods would have been different to what Usama has encountered previously.
Well that’s not true is it?

Mir has been playing cricket in England and Australia for a long time. This isn’t the first time he’s been under good coaching

Well that’s not true is it?

Mir has been playing cricket in England and Australia for a long time. This isn’t the first time he’s been under good coaching
Yeah true. Forgot about that.

Why did he come into the world cup looking like a deer in the headlights then?

For anyone who has bowled leg spin or been coached by a spin doctor, they’d know this advice was absolutely critical to solving some of his shorter term issues, it’s nothing major major but small tweaks which Pakistani coaches would very rarely be able to account for.

Of course , international cricket brings that extra bit of pressure, it shouldn’t define the work which has been done with him in this moment which is positive for his bowling.

Yeah true. Forgot about that.

Why did he come into the world cup looking like a deer in the headlights then?

Big step up from PSL to the international stage. I think Mir has all the bowling weapons, but not convinced he has a big match temparament.

Usama Mir looks like a different bowler completely under the female head coach. He is bowling at the right lengths and has control over what he is bowling.

Meanwhile, with the national team, he was bowling full tosses and all over the pitch.

Alexandra Hartley fixed him up in just 4 weeks. A shame to our national coaches. I hope we can bring this female staff to our national team in future.
Money and education. Most of our head coaches lack that.

Amd the ones that are educated and have resources to improve, they don't understand the difference between being a good player and being a good teacher.

The analogy is simple, being a good programmer or being a good doctor doesn't qualify you to automatically be a good teacher at programming or medicine. It's because everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses and it's the teachers jobs to teach in accordance with a students strength which instilling confidence to come out of your comfort zone and improve weaknesses.

Cricket is no different. All that she did was instill confidence in him and give him tips on how to improve variation amd usama mir is a different product whereas our head coaches were mostly giving advice along the lines of

" THEEK SEI BOWLING KAR".

He always had the skills but he lacks the temperament of International cricket pressure , He needs more of a psychologist then a skill coach and may be Alex just proved that to be for him , we will wait and see the next time he plays international cricket.

This is because PCB cannot understand the difference between a successful player and a qualified coach.

Every single sport is filled with examples of successful players who didn’t the first thing about coaching and successful coaches who never had any success as players but were outstanding coaches with very strong technical understanding and ability to relay the information to the players and drive improvement.
This..the PCB are a bunch of idiots..they don't understand systems or organisation or planning..

Coaches from abroad do..

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he is good for 4 overs but not for 10, like Shadab.

Maybe she should examine Usman Tariq's action at some stage too

He was the highest wicket taker among local spinners in PSL 8 (last year). That was his comeback year as he had worked with Lahore Qalandars coaches in off time and placed FC Cricket to improve himself.

Moreover it has been two years since that and has been consistently playing in T20 leagues and having lots of success. He is continuing his good PSL form this season as well.

There's nothing to suggest he was broken before in this format. As PSL 8 is there as an evidence.

But there's a difference between ODI, T20, Test Cricket and international Cricket quality wise is different from leagues. The day our fans realize this will be the day the difference will be made.

That is not the case at all.

It seems like people have short memories. He has always done well at the PSL, particularly last year.

However, playing in PSL vs internationals - this is where Usama fails as PSL is FAR away from the quality and competitiveness of international cricket.

We keep making the same mistakes every year, try to extrapolate PSL performances to internationals and then we suffer.

Usama is PSL level.

He’s not made for international level.

That is the truth, no matter how you try to sugarcoat it, it won’t change.

Usama has shown more control, spun the ball more and also bowled at a good pace.

If he bowls like this in international cricket he will do better than what he has done in recent months.

He is clearly bowling better than he was few months back and one should be able to look past PSL v international cricket argument if they had actually watched him bowl in this tournament.

Good bowling is good bowling no matter the level of the competition so I don’t have a problem giving credit to her coach at Multan.

Alex definitely seems to know what shes doing but i am sorry to say Usama is not international material.

Usama has shown more control, spun the ball more and also bowled at a good pace.

If he bowls like this in international cricket he will do better than what he has done in recent months.

He is clearly bowling better than he was few months back and one should be able to look past PSL v international cricket argument if they had actually watched him bowl in this tournament.

Good bowling is good bowling no matter the level of the competition so I don’t have a problem giving credit to her coach at Multan.
He always had the skills that is good line and big turn , it’s the pressure of facing international level batsmen which resulted in him losing his length and so far he is yet to play any pressure game against quality spin batter to actually get analyzed on that aspect of his game , only time will tell if he has actually improved or not.

Good to see that she is having a good time in her first campaign in PSL. Usama seems to have improved his basics a few notches above, Alex hartley affect or just a random thing that will disappear as soon as he plays the international game?

I find it quite strange at every turn people will give all the credit to the coaches if a player does well. We can simply just credit the player for the player doing well.

Usama Mir has always done well in PSL anyways. The strangest thing is despite Usama Mir success in PSL, he hadn't even played International T20's until literally a couple of months ago in NZ. He's only played ODI's until the NZ series and I am not sure how many times it needs to be said, but ODI's and T20 are not the same format. Usama Mir domestic numbers in List A aren't even that impressive either to suggest he should be some sort of great ODI bowler.

If the think tank has any brains, they would rest locked WC players like Shadab and let Usama & Abrar play the entire 5 match series vs NZ to get a look at where they stand internationally in the T20 format.

I find it quite strange at every turn people will give all the credit to the coaches if a player does well. We can simply just credit the player for the player doing well.
How else would you judge the performance of a coach (good or bad) if not through the performance of the players?

How else would you judge the performance of a coach (good or bad) if not through the performance of the players?

You can judge it if there's a long track record of the coach working with their multiple players who have seen improvements because of the coach. You also have to ask what quantifiable thing has the coach done to cause an improvement? Is it a tweak in their bowling mechanics, is it the way the ball has been released? Is it the run-up?

Or is it Usama does well in domestic & PSL anyways?

Domestic cricket is a notch below intl level , and the pakistani one is one of the worst and has been in decline for yrs just like the rest of everything in pakistan has declined.

Unless its ipl , big bash and Australia shield which are touching international level of competiveness and professionalism.

I wouldn't take too much into these performances by the likes of saim , usama , azam khan etc when it comes to intl level they will be rabbits caught in headlights .

Look at that chacha ifti a domestic titan and when he gets to intl level he turns into a billi can't even win a match for Pakistan.

Usama mir has deserved a selection based of this year's psl performance but he needs to prove it during this cup and this NZ series.

This should be his last chance.

He needs to be goven confidence and continuous games without the fear of being dropped. Leg spinners particularly do take time to settle.

Last year I wrote this in another thread "he just doesn't seem to gain any momentum in his action, there is no hustle that leggies usually have and the ball comes out at a very full and loopy trajectory". This seems to have changed. Watch any clip from the WC and he used to come in much slowly, raise both his hands high above his head a couple of steps before delivering the ball and not put much in the delivery. Now he seems to be putting in a lot more shoulder in his deliveries and follow through and bowling a lot flatter and faster than he did last year.

Personally, I think Mir needs to play more FC games. He has only played 18 FC games, with a bowling average of 47. He needs to be more consistent with his line and length and only if he plays longer formats and bowls 10+ over spells more often, will he reallyy be able to achieve his potential.

Back