Amir Khan announces Super Boxing League in Pakistan

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
https://www.dawn.com/news/1355600/amir-khan-announces-super-boxing-league-in-pakistan

British-Pakistani boxer Amir Khan announced the formation of the Super Boxing League in a press conference at the Amir Khan Boxing Academy in Islamabad on Monday.

"I have taken the idea from my partner who is from India. He formed this league in India, so I decided to bring the league here to Pakistan," Khan, who had also expressed a desire to stage the league earlier this year.

Khan said that eight teams, also including women boxers, from across Pakistan would participate in the league which will hold fights under the World Boxing Council.

The purpose of the league, expected to be held in December 2017 or January 2018, is to highlight boxing talent in Pakistan, he said.

Khan also spent time training with local boxers at the academy on the occasion.

'Mohammad Ali of Pakistan'

"Amir Khan is Pakistan's Mohammad Ali," said British High Commissioner Thomas Drew, who was also visiting the academy on Monday. "He is Pakistan's ambassador in in Britain and a British ambassador in Pakistan."

He said that he wanted international cricket to come back to Pakistan and wished that the English side visits the country soon, vowing to support revival of sports in Pakistan.

ISLAMABAD: British-Pakistani boxer Amir Khan announced the formation of the Super Boxing League at the Amir Khan Boxing Academy here on Monday.

“I have taken the idea from my partner who is from India. He formed this league in India, so I decided to bring the league here to Pakistan,”

Amir, who had also expressed a desire to stage the league earlier this year, said at a press conference. He that eight teams, also including women boxers, from across Pakistan would participate in the league which would hold fights under the World Boxing Council.

“The purpose of the league, expected to be held in December 2017 or January 2018, is to highlight boxing talent in Pakistan,” he added.

The participating teams include Multan Thunders, Faisalabad Falcons, Islamabad Kings, Peshawar Warriors, Lahore Giants, Quetta Stars, Sialkot United and Karachi Devils.

Amir, who held a similar event in India, was hopeful that the event would prove to be beneficial for country’s boxers.

“The league in India was big, big hit, we had so many celebrities who participated in the event there,” he said.

“In Pakistan, each team will have a celebrity face from any field singing, acting or others. This has never been done before. We tried this in India and it was very successful, this is my own company and I have brought this to Pakistan,” he added.

Amir also said that he would not bring international boxers in the first edition as he was aiming to promote Pakistan’s local talent.

“I don’t want it to be an international event, it is going to be mainly for Pakistani boxers as we want to promote local talent,” he said.

“I am really looking forward to showing the world the talent we have in Pakistan. This is going to be great for the future of boxing in Pakistan. This is a chance for young people to win WBC belt.”

Amir added that it would be a pro-am tournament, where boxers would fight in three rounds of three minutes each.

“It’s going to be an exciting tournament,” said Amir, while confirming that main sponsor for the tournament had also been finalised. Amir also spent time training with local boxers at the academy on the occasion.

“Amir is Pakistan’s Mohammad Ali,” said British High Commissioner Thomas Drew, who also visited the academy with Amir.

“He is Pakistan’s ambassador in Britain and a British ambassador in Pakistan.”

Drew said that he wanted international cricket to come back to Pakistan and wished that the English side visits the country soon, vowing to support revival of sports in Pakistan.

http://dailytimes.com.pk/sports/05-Sep-17/amir-khan-announces-super-boxing-league-in-pakistan

Kudos to him for investing in Pak. (I wouldn't do it tho)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos to him for investing in Pak. (I wouldn't do it tho)

It's a good decision. Pakistan is a big market and fighters in India/Pakistan are dirt cheap. IIRC around 2010 you could have prizes as low as 100K with 25k retainers. If he can sell the TV rights well, he will make a lot of money

Further proof this guys career is over and is stepping into the world of philanthropy

If you are going to fight at least play something practical like MMA or Krav Maga which can be useful in real life...

What's the point of boxing where even a champion like Ali would get demolished in a street fight by a random guy who knows real martial arts...?

Double pointless sport...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing can work in PK whilst these thugs see everything as a money making opportunity. We grew up with the mythology that these were super patriotic people, instead they were thugs with guns and the reason nothing works in PK. Every, and I mean every institution is irreparably damaged because of these thugs.

Nothing can work in PK whilst these thugs see everything as a money making opportunity. We grew up with the mythology that these were super patriotic people, instead they were thugs with guns and the reason nothing works in PK. Every, and I mean every institution is irreparably damaged because of these thugs.

What happened and is it sorted now going by Amir’s tweets. It looked like they turned his gym into a hostel of some kind.

What happened and is it sorted now going by Amir’s tweets. It looked like they turned his gym into a hostel of some kind.
desis doing what desis do best, take advantage of someone then apologise profusely after being caught, with the intention to screw em over when they leave again.

desis doing what desis do best, take advantage of someone then apologise profusely after being caught, with the intention to screw em over when they leave again.

He should look to sell all his investments there while the current regime are about

Renowned boxer Amir Khan was bestowed with the honorary rank of Pakistan Army Captain for a day, donning the army's uniform during a prestigious event organised by the Pakistan Army on Saturday

In recognition of his exceptional contributions to the sport of boxing, Pakistan Army honoured the veteran athlete in a special ceremony, acknowledging his achievements in the field.

Expressing his gratitude, Khan highlighted the abundant talent among Pakistan's youth and pledged to establish more boxing academies in the country.

He encouraged youngsters to actively participate in sports activities, expressing hope for future victories in global competitions such as the Olympics and Commonwealth Games.

"After donning the army uniform and ranks, I am immensely honoured, reminiscent of the feeling of being crowned a World Champion in Boxing," remarked Khan, expressing his gratitude towards Pakistan Army for its unwavering support in promoting sports.

"I have always held the Pakistan Army in high esteem as it symbolises the pride of our nation... Wearing this uniform fills me with immense honour and a sense of security," he added, extending his appreciation to Chief of Army Staff General Asim Munir for his presence and support.

Khan offered valuable advice to aspiring athletes, emphasising the importance of focus, confidence, and hard work in achieving success in any field.

The celebrated boxer, with a professional record of 34-6, including two super-lightweight world-title victories and five successful title defences, has recently retired from professional boxing.

At the age of 17, Aamir Khan clinched a silver medal in the lightweight boxing category at the 2004 Olympics, showcasing his remarkable talent and potential on the global stage.

Following the ceremony, Khan interacted and spent time with soldiers and officers of the Pakistan Army, fostering camaraderie and appreciation for their service.

Earlier, Gen Munir met with Mixed Martial Arts champion Shahzaib Rind and boxer Amir Khan, commending their outstanding achievements in contact sports. Expressing confidence in Pakistan's youth, the army chief lauded their remarkable potential and encouraged them to excel in their respective fields.

Back