Argentina defeat France 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup

Man that penalty save from the Polish goalkeeper was something else.

Agree, it was hit with some power too. Most occasions that hand isnt strong enough, the ball smashes through but his arm was in a perfect position , so strong to palm it away.

Poland look leggy now, I expect Argentina to step it up in the 2nd.

Saudi playing the better football towards the end of the half. They have so much more energy to come.

A historic 2nd half(both teams) coming up. :messi

Mex-KSA finely poised but short on quality

Argentina break the deadlock at start of 2nd half. VAR will intervene

Last edited:
Wow! One of the best free kicks in Word Cup history! Stunning.

Unlucky Saudi but it looks too late now.

Argentina need to hold on here.

Mexico are now 2-0.

That means Poland must draw to avoid elimination. Argentina must win to avoid elimination.

Saudi can hold their heads high they have a decent tournament.

It's also good to see Argentina getting into their stride.

Actually, just checked.

If Mexico can't score another goal, they may get eliminated due to inferior fair play. Both Poland and Mexico now have similar points and similar goal differences. So, the next tiebreaker is fair play points.

Argentina should face Australia in Round of 16 and Netherlands in quarterfinal. They can win both.

Argentina-Brazil in semi-final is a good possibility.

Actually, just checked.

If Mexico can't score another goal, they may get eliminated due to inferior fair play. Both Poland and Mexico now have similar points and similar goal differences. So, the next tiebreaker is fair play points.

Poland have a better disciplinary record. Extremely unlucky for Mexico though,

Mexico have never been eliminated from group stage since 1994 World Cup. This would be the first time in 32 years.

Argentina-Poland game is done. Argentina top the group.

Mexico-KSA is still going on. Mexico must score to go through.

Argentina looking stronger with each match.

Messi looking sharper also.

Dangerous side and they've avoided France in the last 16.

Saudi just buried Mexico with that goal.

I would rather have had Mexico go through over Poland.

Argentina looking stronger with each match.

Messi looking sharper also.

Dangerous side and they've avoided France in the last 16.

They are favorites for both Round of 16 and quarterfinal. Their next tough opponent would be Brazil in semi-final (assuming both Brazil and Argentina don't face upsets).

Last 16 matches so far:

England v Senegal
Netherlands v USA
Argentina v Australia
France v Poland

Heartbreak for Mexico, damn hate it was rooting for my my social team!

It's also clear that Messi has still got it!!

He should be eyeing up the next WC as his Final one :))

Lol Messi is like Saffers in cricket. Certified choker. Did you see his penalty?

Im sure you'd take him at Aberdeen ;)

It wasnt the best pen but a great save. Messis overall game today was very good, the longer this tournament goes on the better he will become . If England meet Argentina in the Quaters, Messi will tear their back line apart.

Lol Messi is like Saffers in cricket. Certified choker. Did you see his penalty?

He had a great game overall. Anyone can have an off day and miss a penalty.

In this instance I think the Polish goal keepers save was world class and thats what denied him.

Messi has won almost every single trophy available in football (apart from the WC), unfair to call him a choker.

Anyway I hope Argentina win the world cup so this fringe theory about him only being successful because of those around him is sent to the bin.

Im sure you'd take him at Aberdeen ;)

It wasnt the best pen but a great save. Messis overall game today was very good, the longer this tournament goes on the better he will become . If England meet Argentina in the Quaters, Messi will tear their back line apart.

Of course they would but I'm a Rangers fan most sure club in the world....

Tomorrow's fixtures:

1.jpg

And how the respective groups are looking beforehand:

2.jpg

Germany have a good chance of going through with Spain. They need to beat Costa Rica and hope Spain beat Japan (though even a draw would likely be enough).

Group F a lot harder to call.

Choker? Give credit to the goalkeeper who made a good save. Messi had a good game overall.

At least, Messi doesn't try to steal goals from his team mates.

Messi penalty saved, i remember he had some crucial penalties saved in UCL K.O. some years back,

Last 16 matches so far:

England v Senegal
Netherlands v USA
Argentina v Australia
France v Poland

Really getting on nerves, imagining the QF

possibly Eng v Fra 0-2

Arg v Ned 0-0, pen to decide it

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

The score-line doesn´t reflect how for a pounding Poland got there yesterday. Extremely lucky to go through, despite having played such an awful game. Didn´t actually deserve to go through, to be honest. Their goal-keeper was plain awesome yesterday, otherwise they could well have lost 0-4 or 0-5, I reckon. Also, it was most fair that the penalty too was saved by him because it was a bad call by the referee. The expert on the German channel ZDF was saying that the VAR didn´t show the video to the on-field referee from the correct angle because, from the other angles, the "foul" looked far less brutal and okay-ish. Clearly an unfair call in my opinion as well.

Argentina have seriously upped their game after that humiliating defeat against Saudi Arabia. They now look like serious contenders for the title, surely.

Tomorrow, the final round of group matches begins — which means the added drama of games from each section being played simultaneously.

It also means no more morning or lunchtime kick offs. :(

As an exception, we have them on Thursday one last time. Enjoy while it lasts!

Pardon the misinformation, the German TV listings had got it wrong - and they still haven´t corrected it. According to the list, the four matches to be played today were going to be played on four different timings. I too was baffled by it because that didn´t make sense, considering the tradition of football tournaments of playing the last group matches simultaneously.

This Argentina team looks better now. Alvarez has better pace than Di Maria. His better speed makes him a better striker than Higuain, Aguero. And with the talent of Fernandez in the midfield this Argentina side is better rounded than the previous one.

This Argentina team looks better now. Alvarez has better pace than Di Maria. His better speed makes him a better striker than Higuain, Aguero. And with the talent of Fernandez in the midfield this Argentina side is better rounded than the previous one.

I would agree. This Argentinian team looks far more threatening than the one from the previous two editions. Much more attacking and spirited.

There was one astonishing moment in the game yesterday. The Argentinian player tried to land a corner direct into the net from that incredibly impossible and awkward position, and he almost succeeded, mind you, had it not been for a diving save by the Polish goal-keeper. The latter was so impressed that he gave a thumbs up to the Argentinian player for such an unbelievable attempt. Never seen a moment like that before in my life. A rarity of the highest order!

Did anyone else notice it?

There was one astonishing moment in the game yesterday. The Argentinian player tried to land a corner direct into the net from that incredibly impossible and awkward position, and he almost succeeded, mind you, had it not been for a diving save by the Polish goal-keeper. The latter was so impressed that he gave a thumbs up to the Argentinian player for such an unbelievable attempt. Never seen a moment like that before in my life. A rarity of the highest order!

Plenty have scored from corners

Messi almost always tries to score like that.. and its nothing new tbh.

Plenty have scored from corners

Messi almost always tries to score like that.. and its nothing new tbh.

I don't watch League football matches. Even internationals, I only watch the editions of the Euro tournament and the World Cup, and I'm pretty sure that something such hasn't happened since 2004 (the time from when I started watching football). Sounds like a good idea to search for some of such moments on YouTube. :)

Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has refused to apologise for his handball against Ghana in the 2010 World Cup.

Suarez was sent off in the last minute of extra time in the quarter-final for denying the Black Stars a goal with a deliberate handball on the goalline.

Asamoah Gyan missed the subsequent penalty and Uruguay went through.

"The Ghana player missed the penalty, not me," said Suarez before the teams meet in a decisive Group G match on Friday in this year's World Cup finals.

Ghana play Uruguay knowing a win would send them into the knockout stage - but a defeat would see the South American side progress if South Korea fail to beat Portugal.

If Uruguay and South Korea both win, goal difference - and possibly goals scored - would decide their fate, with the Asian side holding a one-goal advantage.

It is the first time the countries have met since the game 12 years ago, and former Liverpool striker Suarez was unrepentant despite being told by a Ghanaian journalist that some in the African country view him as "the devil himself".

"I don't apologise for it," he said. "I apologise if I injure a player but I took a red card for the handball.

"It wasn't my fault because I didn't miss the penalty."

His actions in 2010 sparked outrage in Ghana, partly as a result of his exuberant celebrations on the touchline as Uruguay won on penalties. Suarez's side were then beaten in the last four by the Netherlands.

The current Ghana squad have however sought to play down talk of revenge against Suarez and Uruguay, with captain Andre Ayew - the only remaining player from the 2010 squad - saying he wants to move on.

"Everyone felt bad [in 2010] but for me I just want to get to the next stage," he said. "Revenge or not, we would go with the same determination and desire to win.

"I am not looking back, I don't want to focus on the past."

Last edited:
Morocco looking to make it third time lucky for Arabs in getting through.

Suarez I hate very since that incident

Why should Suarez apologise for a handball? He got punished for it by getting a red card and missing the semi final. It’s not Suarez’s fault that the Ghana player missed the subsequent penalty. It’s ridiculous that people blame Suarez for Ghana not reaching the semi finals lol.

Big day for Germany have liked their team ever since ref robbed them when Ballack missed the 2002 Final due to referee's incompetence.

They will get Croatia should they progress a mouth watering prospect

Back