Argentina defeat France 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup

Its ironic their rainbow protest and their world cup ended in a match where the ref was a woman! :))

So much for Qatar being anti woman rights. Qatar world cup become the first world cup where a woman refereed a men's world cup match.

Moroccan fans and players hoisting the Palestinian flag after their 2-1 win over Canada:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/738o8x" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

The final day of the group stage:

2.jpg

And the concerned groups:

3.jpg

Moroccan fans and players hoisting the Palestinian flag after their 2-1 win over Canada:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/738o8x" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Ma sha Allah.

Great to see.

This happens when you hold on to had beens Ter Stegen definitely better than Neuer and starting with Muller takes out the mobility not to mention the Middlesbrough type defense , Japan deservedly through

That was a phenomenal call for Japan's goal. VAR deserves plaudits for that. Souness was unnecessarily apoplectic. It's the Germans, who cares?!.

Spain have definitely got the rotten draw and Morocco can easily sticks them and win it.

Will Morocco belatedly prove Pele's prediction of an African winner, right?.

I wouldn't discount it

With the way this third round of games is playing out, there are some seriously fascinating permutations that have already developed in front of our eyes.

For example, Japan on one side of the draw and Morocco on the other both look like they have an outside chance (but a genuine one) of getting to the Final! (Imagine if they both did it!)

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

That is so wonderful to see! A great scene!

North Africans brought so much love for Palestine...it's the Arabs that are rotten including the hosts

I absolutely can´t fault the team for the way it played yesterday. Tried really hard, created one chance after another, and won by 4-2 in the end. However, the mess was created in the matches before that. Spain´s huge, absolutely huge, win over Costa Rica meant that Germany were never going to qualify ahead of them. Still, though, the team was given a huge opportunity by Costa Rica´s unexpected win over Japan that they then could´ve easily gone through by winning their remaining two matches, but they never brought out their best game against Spain. They either needed to beat Spain or needed to draw against Japan, and they did neither and have only got themselves to blame. It´s team game, I know, and it´s harsh and unfair to blame individuals, but my mind goes back to Sane´s miss against Spain. Here´s what I wrote back then.....

.... What was Sane doing there?! Man, what a miss! He was probably looking to steer clear of the goal-keeper to then either kick the ball himself or to pass it over to the other guy, but both the options were poor. He should´ve tried it himself about a second earlier or so. I hope that that missed opportunity doesn´t come back to haunt Germany on the last day of their group´s matches.....

Link to the post:
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/s...amp-Tournament-Thread&p=11677591#post11677591

Again, it´s not about blaming individuals, it´s about making sure that you use every little opportunity that you´re provided with, if you happen to lose your very first match against a team like Japan. Argentina too got a huge setback against Saudi Arabia, but they made a strong comeback and literally have pummeled teams in their last two matches to make a statement of intent.

Some of the seniors in the current team must go. It´s time to look up to the future! Congratulations to Japan, of course. Most happy for them.

Ordinary Arabs support Palestine, don't go by the actions of their governments.
Mainland Arabs have lots of pride.
Gulf countries rife with jingoism.. Qatar didn't need this World Cup but wanted it as a bit of one-upmanship. This should have been a shared Arab World Cup. Imagine a North African tournament comprising Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisian, Libya even in years gone by. So much potential

Slither...lol that's out!

Crazy permutations!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Enlarge this image and decide. For me ball still in play. The patten on the ball above the arrow - shows VAR decision correct. <a href="https://t.co/fvVpIN9EUs">pic.twitter.com/fvVpIN9EUs</a></p>— Cumbriana (@Cumbriana) <a href="https://twitter.com/Cumbriana/status/1598458737303646212?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 1, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Final group games on Friday: Ghana v Uruguay & South Korea v Portugal (15:00 GMT), Cameroon v Brazil & Serbia v Switzerland (19:00 GMT)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Enlarge this image and decide. For me ball still in play. The patten on the ball above the arrow - shows VAR decision correct. <a href="https://t.co/fvVpIN9EUs">pic.twitter.com/fvVpIN9EUs</a</p>— Cumbriana (@Cumbriana) <a href="https://twitter.com/Cumbriana/status/1598458737303646212?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 1, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Incredibly good decision!

Come on Ghana!!!

Ghana vs Uruguay from neutral perspective would like to see some bad blood like rash tacking and nasty celebrations:drogba

2014 & 2018 world cups were better, but there was something magical about 2010 world cup that I just can't explain.
This would make for a really interesting thread - the world cups one remembers and which was the best.

Maybe a thread already exists?

HALF-TIME
South Korea 1-1 Portugal

South Korea are fighting to stay in the World Cup. A huge 45 coming up for them.

HALF-TIME
Ghana 0-2 Uruguay

Inaki Williams just can't quite reach a ball over the top and that should be that for the first period.

Yep, there's the whistle. What a first half!

It's been a dream for Uruguay. Ghana have a lot of work to do.

Black Stars heading home, a clash between 7 time World champions on card Brazil v Uruguay

More drama, South Korea score in injury time!

South Korea 2-1 Portugal

Uruguay need a goal now or are out.

Incredible matches again!

Argentina is a class team and that showed when they backed themselves and went through inspite of losing to Saudi(who fizzled out completely), this was the difference between them and Germany, Uruguay.

Not from Luis, hes on the bench!

Looked a close penalty.

Another chance will come for sure.

Japan and Skorea are the only two proper football Asian nations that are consistent, don't see Uruguay making it anymore, wdone to Japan and Korea

That’s a shame. I was hoping Ghana would go through. However it’s always fun seeing drama queen Suarez get knocked out.

Portugal and South Korea through.

Poor scenes from Urug players towards the ref. Its over, go home boys.

Ned v USA
Eng v Sen
Fra v Pol
Are v Aus
Mor v Spa
Cro v Jap
Por v Swi
Bra v S Kor

Most likely

POTENTIAL QFs

ARG v Ned
Eng v Fra

Spa v Bra
Por v Cro

Semifinals

Por v Bra
ARG v Fra

I wonder why Asia remains so poor at football(except two) ,man even Aus made it to the next round and its not even their top game.

Would had been nice to see Ghana go through, irrespective it is what it is.

Incredible tournament this.

So far it's been one of the best.

Last 16 matches so far:

Netherlands v USA
Argentina v Australia
France v Poland
England v Senegal
Japan v Croatia
Morocco v Spain

Hwang Hee-chan gave South Korea a sensational injury-time victory over Portugal that meant they beat Uruguay to a last-16 place on goals scored.

Hwang ran onto Son Heung-min's pass in the 91st minute to round off a rapid break and start wild celebrations from his side's fans in the stands.

South Korea had needed to win to stand any chance of joining Portugal in the knockout stage, but even following the final whistle, their progress was not secured.

On the pitch and in the stands, players and supporters watched the final moments of Uruguay's game with Ghana, knowing another goal for the South American side would send them out.

When that 2-0 win was confirmed, a huge roar went around Education City Stadium, and South Korea were able to start the party for real.

Ned v USA
Eng v Sen
Fra v Pol
Are v Aus
Mor v Spa
Cro v Jap
Por v Swi
Bra v S Kor

Most likely

POTENTIAL QFs

ARG v Ned
Eng v Fra

Spa v Bra
Por v Cro

Semifinals

Por v Bra
ARG v Fra

Theres always an upset in the last 16.

My QFs

Arg v Ned
Sen V Fra
Mor V Bra
Por V Japan

Uruguay beat Ghana but went out of the World Cup on goals scored as they finished third behind South Korea in Group H, despite Luiz Suarez's heroics.

The Uruguay striker played a major role in both of Uruguay's goals and the 35-year-old was in tears after the final whistle, following what may have been his last international.

Both goals were scored by Giorgio de Arrascaeta, the first a close-range header, the second a sublime volley.

In Group H's other game, South Korea's 2-1 victory over group winners Portugal was enough to take them through in second place.

Uruguay and South Korea both ended with a zero goal difference, but the side from Asia netted a total of four goals in their three games, with the South American team scoring just the two they managed against Ghana.

Suarez, whose handball in their previous meeting 12 years ago played a crucial role in sending his side through on that occasion, saw his shot fall into De Arrascaeta's path for the opener, before the veteran former Liverpool striker followed it up with a glorious assist for the second.

There had been early penalty drama when Ghana striker Andre Ayew saw his spot-kick saved by Sergio Rochet at 0-0. The penalty was awarded by the referee after reviewing the goalkeeper's foul on Mohammed Kudus on the pitchside monitor.

Tears at the end for Suarez.

Probably the last we will see of him in international football.

Incredible tournament this.

So far it's been one of the best.

Last 16 matches so far:

Netherlands v USA
Argentina v Australia
France v Poland
England v Senegal
Japan v Croatia
Morocco v Spain

The World deserves this excitement more often. Once in 4 years is too long.

Sports has a big aspect of mental scars, and it seemed as if that infamous match against the same team from the edition of 2010 was playing on the minds of Ghana, especially when they missed a penalty. When that Ghana player was about to run in to kick the ball, I said, "He'll miss it! He'll miss it!", and he did! Ghana were very poor today, very poor.

Uruguay go out despite a display of such a clinical performance. Feel sad for them. Seeing Suarez cry like a child there after the loss was hard to bear. Feel for him. Congratulations to South Korea! It has been an unbelievable World Cup so far with some crazy results and so many unexpected outcomes. The last round of the group stage has been absolutely nail-biting.

Sports has a big aspect of mental scars, and it seemed as if that infamous match against the same team from the edition of 2010 was playing on the minds of Ghana, especially when they missed a penalty. When that Ghana player was about to run in to kick the ball, I said, "He'll miss it! He'll miss it!", and he did! Ghana were very poor today, very poor.

Uruguay go out despite a display of such a clinical performance. Feel sad for them. Seeing Suarez cry like a child there after the loss was hard to bear. Feel for him. Congratulations to South Korea! It has been an unbelievable World Cup so far with some crazy results and so many unexpected outcomes. The last round of the group stage has been absolutely nail-biting.

Except for maybe Uruguayans I wonder if people feel sad for Suarez, I feel sad for Ghana more than him.

Serbia V Switzerland is the game to watch.

Good start by both. 1-1

As it stands Swiss through with Brazil.

Yes the Albania subplot is massive. The wee man got a goal but gave away the second goal.

Yes, some idiots even in Switzerland were moaning. It has only fired up Shaqiri again, overall he's been very impressive. Dont be surprised if he scores a blinder in the 2nd half.

2-2 at the break.

Cameroon 0 - 0 Brazil HT

Tears at the end for Suarez.

Probably the last we will see of him in international football.

Good Riddance Hes been a throughly detestable character on the pitch

Switzerland need a fourth to ease the nerves. Just be sensible and stretch the game. Yugoslavia needs two

Suarez's tears were beautiful. I love to see that.

Also, Darwin Nunez is rubbish.

I love seeing Uruguay go out.

What a World Cup for Africa:

Morocco beat Belgium
Tunisia beat France
Cameroon beat Brazil
Senegal through to the last 16
Morocco through to the last 16

Serbia couldn't score two more ,unlucky for Cameroon just like Mexico ,Germany and and Uruguay lol.

Last 16 matches:

Netherlands v USA
Argentina v Australia
France v Poland
England v Senegal
Japan v Croatia
Brazil v South Korea
Morocco v Spain
Portugal v Switzerland

Another terrible performance from Ronaldo and he got rightfully taken off again by the Portuguese manager. But according to the Egomaniac and his annoying fans, Ten Hag was disrespecting him by not playing him lol.

Ronaldo is finished and If Portugal want to win the world cup, they need to drop Ronaldo.

Serbia and Uruguay definitely the most disliked teams.

All 8 matches look tremendous. Hope for at least 2 or 3 upsets.

Another terrible performance from Ronaldo and he got rightfully taken off again by the Portuguese manager. But according to the Egomaniac and his annoying fans, Ten Hag was disrespecting him by not playing him lol.

Ronaldo is finished and If Portugal want to win the world cup, they need to drop Ronaldo.

Portugal were through. No point running out of steam in a dead game or getting injured.

They have the Swiss next, if they win Ronaldo could be key in the Quarters and later stages. He is still one of the best finishers, most experienced and a player who performs in big matches.

Lets see.

Brazil losing is not a big issue, many players got a good run out. Brazil should walk through South Korea.

Its nice to see a mix of teams in the last 16, from Europe, Africa, Asia, South and North America. A proper World Cup.

Cameroon defeated a Brazil side resting a host of regulars but still saw their World Cup campaign ended after an entertaining encounter at Lusail Stadium.

Vincent Aboubakar header the winner in stoppage time but his joy immediately turned to disappointment as he was given a second yellow card for taking his shirt off.

Cameroon had acquitted themselves well throughout as Bryan Mbuemo brought an outstanding save from Manchester City's Ederson, deputising for Liverpool keeper Alisson, but Switzerland's victory over Serbia ended the African team's chances of reaching the last 16.

With his side having already qualified after their first two games, Brazil coach Tite made 10 changes and Arsenal's Gabriel Martinelli took the chance to impress with a fine performance in which he was thwarted on several occasions by Cameroon keeper Devis Epassy.

The pre-tournament favourites finished top of Group G despite the loss and now meet South Korea in the knockout phase after their dramatic late win against Portugal saw them edge out Uruguay, who beat Ghana, on goals scored.

Switzerland sealed their place in the World Cup last 16 following an entertaining five-goal victory over Serbia to round off the group stage.

Switzerland, who knew a draw would be enough to qualify, took an early lead through former Stoke and Liverpool forward Xherdan Shaqiri.

Serbia turned it around in the first half, going 2-1 up with goals from Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic and centre-forward partner Dusan Vlahovic - and they would have gone through as things stood.

The entertainment did not stop there though, as Switzerland's Breel Embolo equalised on the stroke of half-time when he poked in from close range.

With Serbia needing to win, the second half promised further twists but it was Switzerland who struck next - Embolo coolly flicking it on for Nottingham Forest's Remo Freuler to thump a half-volley into the net and make it 3-2 in their favour.

Further chances came for both sides but Switzerland held on to set up a meeting with Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal in the next round, while Serbia are eliminated.

Portugal were through. No point running out of steam in a dead game or getting injured.

They have the Swiss next, if they win Ronaldo could be key in the Quarters and later stages. He is still one of the best finishers, most experienced and a player who performs in big matches.

Ronaldo offers nothing. He can't run. He has poor touch and control. The only thing he can been good at in the past few years is finishing, but even that aspect of his game is starting to diminish. He needs to be dropped for Leao. Ronaldo is so done as a top player and is a massive hindrance to Portugal.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The knockout stages are upon us! 🤩<br><br>Who will be the first to seal a place in the quarter-finals? 👇<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ITVFootball?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ITVFootball</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FIFAWorldCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#FIFAWorldCup</a> <a href="https://t.co/ccjaJXxqpV">pic.twitter.com/ccjaJXxqpV</a></p>— ITV Football (@itvfootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1598950665375596544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 3, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We now move into the business end of the tournament, the knock-out stage. I know we´ll have Extra Time and Penalty Shoot-out - the most exciting parts of this stage - but I´ll pinpoint the very long stoppage time as a very key part of these matches. We could see matches turning on its head in those minutes, given how FIFA have been very strict this time around in making up for every second lost - something is fair and something what I fully appreciate. Why not have the full 90 minutes? Why not?!

Except for maybe Uruguayans I wonder if people feel sad for Suarez, I feel sad for Ghana more than him.

I know that he has a tainted history, but it was still not nice seeing him crying like that. I´ll probably never see him again play football, so I´ve personally got mixed feelings. But, I can understand the opposite sentiment as well.

A sense of strong dislike for Serbia... Does it have some political reasons, or is it entirely related to the game? Can someone shed some light, please?

A superb week of drama. Fifa will ruin things if they change the format of future world cups.

I suspect we will see fewer shocks in the round of 16. I suspect if there is one that the USA will knock out the Dutch. Think it's the end of the road for Japan and Morroco.

Netherlands will progress Van Gaal has made them rough and tough a very unlike Dutch but they have the grit.

Yes Ronaldo is a shadow of player he was can hardly sprint through defenders relying more on opportunities in the box

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The greatest group stage in World Cup history comes to an end. At present It won’t be repeated at the next World Cup as the current plan is not to have simultaneous final group games. 16 groups of 3 in 2026. 🤔</p>— Gary Lineker 💙💛 (@GaryLineker) <a href="https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1598784291957313540?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The round of 16 looks more likely than not to proceed to type, but hopefully there will still be a couple of shocks and surprises.

USA, Japan, Morocco, Switzerland all got a chance.

The round of 16 looks more likely than not to proceed to type, but hopefully there will still be a couple of shocks and surprises.

USA, Japan, Morocco, Switzerland all got a chance.

I expect top-tiers teams to play knockout games more seriously. So, I expect very few upsets (maybe none).

France and Brazil didn't field their full teams in group stage, for example.

Back