Argentina defeat France 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup

Portugal a bit lucky in this game.

Uruguay hard done to by the 2-0 result.

Uruguay giving up a bit now.

Portugal could have easily nicked a third goal.

<b>Portugal secured their place in the last 16 of the World Cup with a 2-0 victory over Uruguay in a scrappy encounter at Lusail Stadium.</b>

A game short on real quality saw the deadlock broken in the 54th minute when a cross from Bruno Fernandes floated beyond Uruguay keeper Sergio Rochet, the goal given to Manchester United's midfield man despite Cristiano Ronaldo claiming it had glanced off his head.

Portugal made most of the running until they went ahead but Uruguay, who must now beat Ghana in their final Group H game to have a chance of qualifying, created chances of their own and could have taken a point.

Rodrigo Bentancur's brilliant first-half run was halted by Portugal keeper Diogo Costa's save, while substitute Maxi Gomez hit the post as Uruguay went in search of an equaliser.

Portugal wrapped up the win in stoppage time when Fernandes got his second from the spot after a video assistant referee intervention which adjudged Jose Gimenez had handled.

The game was interrupted in the second half by a pitch invader carrying a rainbow flag and wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the words 'Save Ukraine' on the front and 'Respect for Iranian woman' on the back.

BBC Sport

England v Wales tomorrow.
And Iran v USA.

Qualification 99% assured for England, so they will likely go through with one of Iran or USA.

That’s Group B.

Meanwhile, in Group A:

Qatar are already out.

It’s 2 out of Netherlands, Ecuador and Senegal to go through.

Tomorrow, the final round of group matches begins — which means the added drama of games from each section being played simultaneously.

It also means no more morning or lunchtime kick offs. :(

Tomorrow, the final round of group matches begins — which means the added drama of games from each section being played simultaneously.

No more 90 min toilet breaks :yk3

Great win for Portugal, Bruno was world class and Ronaldo still has some magic left. Good signs for the team ahead of Rd 16 clash with Brazil or Swiss

Uruguay looked so much better when they actually went for it instead of hoping for a 0-0 draw.

By the way how poor has Suarez been - looks finished!

Uruguay looked so much better when they actually went for it instead of hoping for a 0-0 draw.

By the way how poor has Suarez been - looks finished!

This should be his last World Cup.

End of an era (Messi, Suarez, and Ronaldo).

Today was the most interesting day of the WC.

I still can't get over that second game. It may have been one of the most exciting games ever played.

I haven't watched Football as much recently but the current scheduled works for me and the fact it is in Qatar got me interested too, and I have fallen in love with the game more than ever.

All I need now is England to get knocked out :)

United States boss Gregg Berhalter has called on his players to avoid "the mistakes of the past" when they take on Iran in their must-win final World Cup group game on Tuesday.

Suarez is too old and finished. He shouldn't have even been selected. Cavani is also old but perhaps can still offer something. Nunez is a dead baller. Uruguay looks to be on a decline.

Portugal looks real contenders and good thing is CR7 is not their besst player atm

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

Portugal were winning anyway, but that was definitely not a penalty. No way!

Barring a brief passage of play past the 75th minute or so, Uruguay never quite were in it. It looked as if they were more or less looking to sneak in with a draw.

As an exception, we have them on Thursday one last time. Enjoy while it lasts!

Team news - Valencia fit for Ecuador
Ecuador v Senegal (15:00 GMT)

The good news for Ecuador is that star man and the World Cup's current joint top scorer Enner Valencia has been declared fit despite coming off with a knee injury late on in Friday's 1-1 draw with the Netherlands.

La Tri make two changes from that game though with Alan Franco and Carlos Gruezo coming into the midfield for Jackson Porozo and the suspended Jhegson Mendez.

Ecuador XI: Galindez, Angelo Preciado, Torres, Hincapie, Estupinan, Franco, Gruezo, Caicedo, Plata, Estrada, Valencia.

Subs: Arboleda. Cifuentes, Pacho, Ayrton, Preciado, Ibarra, Ramirez, Arreaga, Mena, Sarmiento, Palacios, Dominguez, Reasco, Porozo, Rodriguez.

Who else agrees that the respective coaches of Cameroon and Senegal actually look like brothers?:))

Qatar have definitely disappointed but Dutch la k courage but plenty of conviction.

This Ecuador -Ssnegal game started helter skelter but become very much a tactical battle. Ecuador need a goal after Sarr's penalty on the stroke of half time

Have the hosts been the worst team in the tournament? They’ve been pretty average throughout.

KFC Opens First-Ever Pub In London For FIFA World Cup Enthusiasts

The 2022 FIFA World Cup is underway. Although the tournament is being hosted by Qatar, the whole world is making the most of it. From people adjusting their sleep and work time to watch the match on television to brands offering lucrative deals for football fanatics - we can it all happening around us. The global fast-food joint KFC has joined the bandwagon too. The brand has come up with its first-ever pub in London amid the ongoing 2022 FIFA World Cup. Named 'The Colonel's Arms' after the name of the KFC founder - Colonel Sanders, this place was earlier called The Old Suffolk Pub, situated in Hammersmith.

Now, this place has been given a makeover by setting up big screens to watch matches. Alongside, it is offering beer and fried chicken to enjoy while watching the game. Reportedly, 'The Colonel's Arms' is a temporary pop-up, allowing the fans to enjoy fried chicken delivered to their table as they watch matches.

Reportedly, KFC encourages people to book in advance to get their orders delivered without any hassle. However, according to the outlet, one can also get walk-in reservations on a first-come-first-served basis.

According to the Evening Standard, Jimmy Bullard, the landlord of the pub that has been renamed The Colonel's Arms, said, "It's class when the three things I love - football, fried chicken and the pub - come together."

The fast-food giant has also launched the Colonel's Arms Bar Kit, which features a limited-edition pint glass, two coasters, a bottle opener, as well as a bar mat, the report added.

NDTV

FIFA World Cup 2022: Cybercriminals Using Fake Sites to Steal Personal Information, IT Security Firm Says

From fake entry permits and betting sites to fake cryptocurrency, cybercriminals have spun all the tricks to lure football fans in the name of the FIFA World Cup, IT security intelligence firm CloudSEK warned on Monday.

While India is not part of the FIFA World Cup, the Indian community is reportedly estimated to be the largest among the expatriate population in Qatar which is hosting the biggest football tournament.

The Bengaluru-based cyber security firm said that several Telegram channels were found selling Hayya cards (FIFA entry permit) for prices ranging from $50 (roughly Rs. 4,300) to $150 (roughly Rs. Rs. 12,300).

"To create Hayya cards, the threat actors claim to require the buyer's valid IDs like passports. And payment is only accepted in Bitcoin," CloudSEK said in a report.

Cyber criminals are also sharing hacking techniques that purportedly allow one to register for a Hayya card without a valid FIFA ticket number, for free.

The technique is based on brute forcing the ticket number based on an alleged ticket number pattern that the threat actor shared.

"Since the FIFA world cup is a popular event, the demand for tickets far exceeds the supply. To exploit this gap between the supply and demand, scammers have set up websites that sell fake tickets," CloudSEK said.

The threat actors are trying to cheat netizens by selling limited edition fake cryptocurrency as crypto currency platform Crypto.com is an official FIFA sponsor and Binance has partnered with Cristiano Ronaldo to promote soccer-themed NFTs.

"Threat actors are piggy-backing on this hype to sell fake 'World Cup Coin' and 'World Cup Token' by promoting them as limited edition cryptocurrency. However, most of these purported coins don't exist," the report said.

CloudSEK researchers in the report said FIFA sponsors should bolster their security mechanisms and stay up to date on threat actors' tactics and techniques.

https://www.gadgets360.com/internet...al-personal-data-information-cloudsek-3563250

Qatar have been bad.

Gueye concedes a freekick that rules him out of next round. Ecuador equalise from it only for Senegal to go ahead from a freekick of their own with a Koulibaly volley at far stick!!

Another manic two minutes. Amazing!

Kalidou Koulibaly's nerveless volley sent Senegal into the World Cup's knockout stages for only the second time in their history as they eliminated Ecuador at a rowdy Khalifa International Stadium.

All three goals came from players based in England as Ecuador's Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo cancelled out a penalty by Watford's Ismaila Sarr before Chelsea defender Koulibaly's side-footer won it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ecuador needed just a point to progress but paid the price for a passive display as Senegal were spurred on by an almost non-stop cacophony of drumming from their supporters in Al Rayyan.

Watford winger Sarr coolly stroked home from the spot, after being clumsily upended by Ecuador defender Piero Hincapie, to put the African champions deservedly ahead.

Ecuador levelled with their first real chance as Caicedo swept home Felix Torres' flick-on but Koulibaly's composed finish immediately regained the lead for Senegal, who knew only victory would be enough to go through barring an unlikely Qatar upset against the Netherlands.

They held out amid a nervy six minutes of stoppage time to finish as runners-up in Group A behind the Dutch, who clinched top spot by handing the tournament hosts a third defeat in three games with a comfortable 2-0 win in Al Khor.

Aliou Cisse's side are potential last-16 opponents for England given the Lions of Teranga will next face the winners of Group B - a berth Gareth Southgate's team could seal later on Tuesday.

It was quite a fight, especially in the second half. Congratulations to Senegal for advancing to the next stage. It's not easy to do that when you need a win and the opposition can even do away with a draw. Deserved to go through!

The Wales team news is in, and the big news is that captain Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey start after speculation their places were under threat after their recent disappointing form.

After two poor performances in drawing with the United States and losing to Iran, manager Robert Page seems to have abandoned his three-at-the-back formation in order to switch to a 4-2-3-1.

That means midfielder Joe Allen starts – fit again after a hamstring injury – instead of Harry Wilson, while winger Daniel James comes in for full-back Connor Roberts.

There are three changes in total from Friday’s defeat by Iran, with the other seeing goalkeeper Danny Ward replacing the suspended Wayne Hennessey.

Wales: Ward; N Williams, Mepham, Rodon, B Davies; Allen, Ampadu; Bale, Ramsey, James; Moore.

Gareth Southgate makes four changes to his England starting XI from the dour draw with USA.

Phil Foden and Marcus Rashford flank Harry Kane up front, with Raheem Sterling and Bukayo Saka dropping to the bench.

Kyle Walker is fit having sat out the opening two matches and replaces Kieran Trippier at right back, while in midfield Jordan Henderson replaces Mason Mount.

England XI: Pickford; Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw; Henderson, Rice, Bellingham; Rashford, Kane, Foden.

Allen is so important for Wales and I'm amazed he has stayed in the championship. Definitely was worthy of EPL a bit longer

USA must win today to go through. If it is a draw, Iran are through (provided Wales don't beat England).

23rd minute.

Iran 0 - USA 0.

There haven't been too many fouls and no yellow card. Just great quality game.

USMNT are dominating but Iran are dangerous on the break. Can't see Iran getting a goalless draw

HT:

Wales 0-0 England
Iran 0-1 USA

England and USA going through from Group B as it stands.

Will they not do a VR review of that offside for second US goal?

The offsides are semi-automated. As soon as they restarted play, they had already finished the VAR review.

Such a shame, that would have been a brilliant goal.

Iran have to be more attacking. This is the nonsense of Queiroz that cost Egypt qualification. Have to play like against Wales and free Azmoun & Taremi

Iran aren't finishing well. They get into good positions but botch things up in the end.

Last edited:
Wow. Rashford with a Ronaldo freekick and then Foden immediately after! 2-0, game, set and match

Now that England is winning, Iran can go through with a draw.

Iran have to find a way to equalize.

This particular mindset is precisely why Indians and people of the subcontinent in general are extremely poor at sports. Attaching a monetary value to a sporting pursuit will rarely if ever produce world champions. Parents/guardians have to make sacrifices in terms of money, time and energy to get children the elite level of coaching which may produce a champion. If the coaching is a success it will pay eventually dividends but more often than not, it will not provide any tangible benefits. Conversely, this doesn't mean you don't bother. Moreover, if you research the backgrounds of champions across many disciplines, plenty highlight their disadvantaged background and how their parents/guardians and siblings gave up certain things to enable that person to achieve their goal.

I spend over £150 a week on my three boys' extracurricular activities. Frankly speaking, only my oldest one shows promise in his pursuit while the younger two seem to enjoy the social aspect more than the sports itself. I'd surmise most of the children in those sessions are in a similar boat to my younger two. But we parents persist; if it doesn’t produce a top level sportsman so be it, there are other lifelong skills which will be gained..

Last edited:
I think Senegal can knock out England.

England have a habit of losing to inferior teams. Also, Senegal are pretty good.

Senegal are good but England are a level higher.

England's class will be too hot for Senegal to handle over the course of 90 minutes + extra time if needed.

I agree i just hope it creates a football culture as well because except for Basketball other local Canadian sports are somewhat expensive for immigrants to get into esp hockey, football is the easiest to take.

This particular mindset is precisely why Indians and people of the subcontinent in general are extremely poor at sports. Attaching a monetary value to a sporting pursuit will rarely if ever produce world champions. Parents/guardians have to make sacrifices in terms of money, time and energy to get children the elite level of coaching which may produce a champion. If the coaching is a success it will pay eventually dividends but more often than not, it will not provide any tangible benefits. Conversely, this doesn't mean you don't bother. Moreover, if you research the backgrounds of champions across many disciplines, plenty highlight their disadvantaged background and how their parents/guardians and siblings gave up certain things to enable that person to achieve their goal.

I spend over £150 a week on my three boys' extracurricular activities. Frankly speaking, only my oldest one shows promise in his pursuit while the younger two seem to enjoy the social aspect more than the sports itself. I'd surmise most of the children in those sessions are in a similar boat to my younger two. But we parents persist; if it doesn’t produce a top level sportsman so be it, there are other lifelong skills which will be gained..

what led to this rant bro?

what led to this rant bro?
It certainly wasn't a rant. I merely highlighted your negative attitude and how it is invariably the prevailing sentiment amongst subcontinental parents. Without paying this point any heed, Asians then wonder why our children are underrepresented in sports other than cricket..

Back