Argentina defeat France 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup

Messi doesn't have the character or sheer tour de force that Maradona did. Good goal but needs to keep producing

Maradonnas 86 team was a lot worse too.

But commeth the hour.... the man stood up. The pressure on Messi huge, more than Diego as he won 86 while in his peak.

Can they hang on now is the question?

Good goal! 2-0

All over this one.

Will be an interesting last round of games in Group C as any team can go through / go out.

Seemed like Salah with the right foot!

Class finish.

Mexico have given a lot here, Saudi could capitalise and beat them imo.

The way this group is looking, imo it’s Poland and Saudi to go through.

Argentina despite a good result here are still up against it, and Mexico in this World Cup can’t score.

Good goal! 2-0

All over this one.

Will be an interesting last round of games in Group C as any team can go through / go out.

Right.

I think Argentina and Mexico may go through eventually (with Argentina topping the group).

Right.

I think Argentina and Mexico may go through eventually (with Argentina topping the group).

I think Poland v Argentina is a draw.

Saudi beat Mexico.

Saudi group winners and Poland 2nd.

I think Mexico are gone because they need to win big against Saudi. Poland have 4 points regardless

Argentina definitely improved after that Messi goal.

It seemed to give them a lift and they looked more confident.

In the end they deserved to win but that'll be a tricky match against Poland for them.

Argentina getting in rhythm now, Mexico isn’t doing any good this wc.

Messi doesn't have the character or sheer tour de force that Maradona did. Good goal but needs to keep producing

What nonsense. Messi wouldn't have been able to perform at a high level for over 15 years, if he didn't have the character or sheer force.

Lionel Messi produced a moment of trademark magic to help keep Argentina's World Cup hopes alive with victory in a tense encounter against Mexico.

In a cauldron of noise at Lusail Stadium, Messi and Argentina knew defeat would end their hopes of reaching the last 16 after only two games following the stunning loss to Saudi Arabia in their opener.

The tension was mounting as Mexico frustrated Messi in an attritional game, especially in a first half littered with fouls and stoppages that never allowed Argentina to gain any momentum.

Messi changed all that after 64 minutes when he took one touch to control a pass with his left foot before drilling an unerring finish past Mexico keeper Guillermo Ochoa into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

The masses of Argentina supporters in a crowd of 88,966 went wild in celebration and relief as their World Cup campaign got back on track.

Enzo Fernandez added a superb second with a curling shot into the top corner three minutes from time but it was Messi who made the breakthrough and the difference.

Victory in a tough final Group C game against Poland will send them into the knockout phase.

He had Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets

And? Football is a team sport. It isn't an individual sport like tennis or golf.

I guess you are a Ronaldo fan. Ronaldo had Rooney, Tevez, Scholes, Giggs, Benzema, Bale, Ozil, Kaka, Fernandes, Rashford, Dybala etc.

And? Football is a team sport. It isn't an individual sport like tennis or golf.

I guess you are a Ronaldo fan. Ronaldo had Rooney, Tevez, Scholes, Giggs, Benzema, Bale, Ozil, Kaka, Fernandes, Rashford, Dybala etc.
I'm a neither fan but the idea Messi is up there with Maradona and Pele is not right.

Ronaldo is a class above. His massive advantage over Messi in the air is forgotten. Messi is way overrated. He's like Babar a mental midget.

0% chance Argentina will win the WC.

Head coach Hansi Flick says Germany's World Cup clash with Spain is a "first final" as they try to avoid another early exit at a major tournament.

Head coach Hansi Flick says Germany's World Cup clash with Spain is a "first final" as they try to avoid another early exit at a major tournament.

I hope Spain will eliminate drama queen Germany. They can cover their mouths in Germany; no need to do it in Qatar.

Ronaldo is a class above. His massive advantage over Messi in the air is forgotten. Messi is way overrated. He's like Babar a mental midget.

0% chance Argentina will win the WC.

Messi is far better technically, better free kick taker, far better passer and just a better team player. The only thing Ronaldo has over Messi is penalties, headers (due to height) and being a more selfish player.

Messi is a mental midget yet it is Ronaldo who went to his mate Piers Morgan crying because he wasn't playing.

If anything it is Ronaldo that is overrated. GOATs don't lose their technical ability. Despite not having the pace anymore, Messi still has the touch, ball control, weight of pass. Ronaldo can't even control the ball anymore. That isn't my GOAT.

And like Portugal will win the world cup. Not with Ronaldo in the starting eleven.

Last edited:
Messi is far better technically, better free kick taker, far better passer and just a better team player. The only thing Ronaldo has over Messi is penalties, headers (due to height) and being a more selfish player.

Messi is a mental midget yet it is Ronaldo who went to his mate Piers Morgan crying because he wasn't playing.

If anything it is Ronaldo that is overrated. GOATs don't lose their technical ability. Despite not having the pace anymore, Messi still has the touch, ball control, weight of pass. Ronaldo can't even control the ball anymore. That isn't my GOAT.

And like Portugal will win the world cup. Not with Ronaldo in the starting eleven.

I also think Messi is better than Ronaldo.

Messi can cement his legacy further if he can win the World Cup this time. He already won a COPA.

I also think Messi is better than Ronaldo.

Messi can cement his legacy further if he can win the World Cup this time. He already won a COPA.

I think Argentina have to step up big time if they are to win the world cup. So far they have been less than impressive.

I think Argentina have to step up big time if they are to win the world cup. So far they have been less than impressive.

I believe they are back. This 2-0 win was great in terms of confidence and momentum.

If they top the group, they are likely to face Australia in Round of 16, Netherlands in quarter-final, and Brazil in semi-final (assuming they win all and there are no other upsets).

They beat Brazil in Copa final. Same can happen again.

Last edited:
I believe they are back. This 2-0 win was great in terms of boosting confidence and creating momentum.

If they top the group, they are likely to face Australia in Round of 16, Netherlands in quarter-final, and Brazil in semi-final (assuming they win all and there are no other upsets).

Hopefully, they will go all the way. I want Argentina to win the world cup, so that annoying Ronaldo fans can shut up about Ronaldo being better than Messi.

Hopefully, they will go all the way. I want Argentina to win the world cup, so that annoying Ronaldo fans can shut up about Ronaldo being better than Messi.

I am a big Argentina fan too. I support them since 1998 World Cup.

I hope France will get knocked out somehow before final. If that happens, Brazil or Argentina should win it.

I am a big Argentina fan too. I support them since 1998 World Cup.

I hope France will get knocked out somehow before final. If that happens, Brazil or Argentina should win it.

Brazil have always been my favourite international team. I grew up watching Ronaldinho (my favourite all time player), GOAT Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo. That was some team. I would love a Brazil vs Argentina final.

ARG won but its still work to do for them, still not convincing

Big game tonight for Germany who also look a shadow of their predecessors missing the grit of Ballack Schweinsteiger Lahm et/al

There is no comparison between Messi & Ronaldo. Both of them are genius goal scorers, but only one of them is also a genius playmaker.

This is why one of them has aged really well and still playing top football in spite of losing his explosive pace, while the other one is begging for a good team to buy him but no one is interested.

No points for guessing who is who.

Regarding Messi vs Maradona, Messi is a better individual player and he has had a better club career.

However, if he does not win the World Cup he will not be bigger player for Argentina. Maradona was also a better & more charismatic leader, he connected better with the Argentinian supporters & lifted his teammates.

If Argentina wins this World Cup, then Messi would have surpassed Maradona and it would largely be a unanimous opinion in Argentina.

What football fans in England, Pakistan and elsewhere say would not matter because you actually need to get some exposure to Argentinians and see what Messi means to them & also what Maradona meant to them.

Argentina will produce great players in the future as well but it is hard to imagine any two idols like Maradona & Messi and the impact they had on the people of Argentina.

Ronaldo helped Portugal ride a wave of emotion to win 2016 European Championship yet Messi scraped a behind-closed doors Copa at the umpteenth attempt with the second biggest country in that tournament. Alexis Sanchez achieved more.

Meanwhile during Messi's peak years Spain won two Euros and a World Cup and Argentina didn't turn up to the 2014 final.

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

Argentina stay alive thanks to one awesome goal by Messi and another absolute world class goal by Fernandez! The dream stays alive!

Mexico, barring two good chances in the first half, were quiet and rather inactive and fully paid the price in the end for playing that way. It seemed that they were perhaps looking to secure a draw - and it looked on at one stage - but then that happened what happened!

As for the Germany-Spain game. To be honest and frank with you here, fellows, I don´t see it as a contest, actually. However, this is football and anything can happen on a given day, you know.

During the matches, they flash the sponsor on the boards of the company Mengniu, and each time I end up seeing it as our guy [MENTION=93712]MenInG[/MENTION]´s username and think that his account is being promoted! :)):)))

Ronaldo helped Portugal ride a wave of emotion to win 2016 European Championship yet Messi scraped a behind-closed doors Copa at the umpteenth attempt with the second biggest country in that tournament. Alexis Sanchez achieved more.

Meanwhile during Messi's peak years Spain won two Euros and a World Cup and Argentina didn't turn up to the 2014 final.

Ronaldo wasn’t even on the pitch in the final. He left in tears. Perhaps this is why Portugal won the final - they played as a team instead of everyone trying to pass the ball to Ronaldo.

Messi has a World Cup golden ball. Ronaldo has not even come close to producing a golden ball worthy performance at a World Cup and this is his 5th attempt.

Messi was also the player of the tournament when Argentina won the Copa America in 2021.

Ronaldo was not even the standout player in his own team when he won Euro 2016, let alone win the player of the tournament award.

In addition to a World Cup golden ball, Messi has won the player of the tournament in several Copa Americas. Ronaldo has 0 player of the tournament awards in World Cups and Euros.

As far as Spain winning a World Cup and two Euros during Messi’s peak is concerned, it might be news to you but Argentina is a South American country.

South American countries do not play in Euros, so Spain winning Euro 2008 and 2012 has literally nothing to do with Messi & Argentina.

Spain did win the 2010 World Cup in Messi’s presence, but that was one of the all-time great teams at the peak of their powers. On the other hand, Argentina had one of their weakest World Cup squads & and a drug addict coach.

Ronaldo was part of the two Euros that Spain won and he could do nothing to stop them even though he was also at the peak of his powers.

Messi v Ronaldo is story of past despite the club achievements both failed to win the ultimate prize whereas Mbappe only in his second attempt is on course for another WC triumph, the one to challenge Pele & Maradona

Ronaldo wasn’t even on the pitch in the final. He left in tears. Perhaps this is why Portugal won the final - they played as a team instead of everyone trying to pass the ball to Ronaldo.

Messi has a World Cup golden ball. Ronaldo has not even come close to producing a golden ball worthy performance at a World Cup and this is his 5th attempt.

Messi was also the player of the tournament when Argentina won the Copa America in 2021.

Ronaldo was not even the standout player in his own team when he won Euro 2016, let alone win the player of the tournament award.

In addition to a World Cup golden ball, Messi has won the player of the tournament in several Copa Americas. Ronaldo has 0 player of the tournament awards in World Cups and Euros.

As far as Spain winning a World Cup and two Euros during Messi’s peak is concerned, it might be news to you but Argentina is a South American country.

South American countries do not play in Euros, so Spain winning Euro 2008 and 2012 has literally nothing to do with Messi & Argentina.

Spain did win the 2010 World Cup in Messi’s presence, but that was one of the all-time great teams at the peak of their powers. On the other hand, Argentina had one of their weakest World Cup squads & and a drug addict coach.

Ronaldo was part of the two Euros that Spain won and he could do nothing to stop them even though he was also at the peak of his powers.

Ronaldo was winning Champions League for fun and kick-started Deal's European renaissance. It was Ronaldo's emotion that carried them.

Messi won a no crowd Copa that was extremely tedious viewing

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The official Twitter account of the US national football (soccer) team (<a href="https://twitter.com/USMNT?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@USMNT</a>) has removed the Islamic Republic's "Allah" emblem and the "takbirs" from Iran's three-colored flag in a picture it has posted of their FIFA World Cup group's standings ahead of Iran-US Tuesday match. <a href="https://t.co/cQgBepEiPN">pic.twitter.com/cQgBepEiPN</a></p>— Iran International English (@IranIntl_En) <a href="https://twitter.com/IranIntl_En/status/1596652358846631937?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 26, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Costa Rica leading, lifeline for Germans in case they lose to Spain :13:
Jav have played so poorly

Lesser teams struggling to back up their wins. Also, Costa Rica are better than Spain made them look.

Hopefully Spain batter Germany and a Japan draw against Spain enough to progress

Ronaldo was winning Champions League for fun and kick-started Deal's European renaissance. It was Ronaldo's emotion that carried them.

Messi won a no crowd Copa that was extremely tedious viewing

Maybe he should have done something about Madrid’s domestic humiliation. Looks like his emotion didn’t help them dominate La Liga.

He spent 10 years in Spain and he could only help Madrid win 2 league titles.

Madrid and Barcelona faced off 30 times across all competitions during the Ronaldo-Messi era and unsurprisingly, Barcelona won 14 times compared to Madrid’s 8 wins.

The only time they faced off in the UCL (2010-11 semifinal), Messi destroyed Madrid on their turf and Ronaldo was watching helplessly with his hands on his hips.

Ronaldo’s entire success at Madrid was built on not crossing paths with Messi’s Barcelona.

FULL-TIME
Japan 0-1 Costa Rica

They've done it! Tears of joy from Costa Rica's players as Michael Oliver brings the game to an end.

Maybe he should have done something about Madrid’s domestic humiliation. Looks like his emotion didn’t help them dominate La Liga.

He spent 10 years in Spain and he could only help Madrid win 2 league titles.

Madrid and Barcelona faced off 30 times across all competitions during the Ronaldo-Messi era and unsurprisingly, Barcelona won 14 times compared to Madrid’s 8 wins.

The only time they faced off in the UCL (2010-11 semifinal), Messi destroyed Madrid on their turf and Ronaldo was watching helplessly with his hands on his hips.

Ronaldo’s entire success at Madrid was built on not crossing paths with Messi’s Barcelona.

Messi is nothing without Xavi and Iniesta as his trajectory since they left had shown and his pitiful turnout for PSG

Can we leave the Messi debate for another thread - PLEASE?!

Japan failed to take another step towards the World Cup knockout rounds as Keysher Fuller's late goal earned Costa Rica a smash-and-grab Group E victory.

Following their shock win over Germany, Japan were frustrated by a tight defensive unit, before Fuller struck with Costa Rica's first shot on target at the tournament.

The result leaves both teams on three points after two games, with Spain - who still top the group on goal difference - facing Germany later on Sunday (19:00 GMT).

Germany are absolutely the luckiest team in the competition, and they don’t at all deserve to be. Now even if they lose to Spain they have a good chance of progressing to the Last 16 in the final round of games.

A massive result in the group! What that means is that Germany can now easily afford even a draw against Spain, although I personally still think that they should play positively.

Japan played better, but Costa Rica used possibly the solitary chance that they got. That's football for you!

Belgium v Morocco is ripe for an upset. The ageing, lethargic Belgium versus a stoic Morocco

Hakim! Inside an atypical 1 minutes stoppage. Possibly offside.

Offside..!

Last edited:
Belgium have had a great team for many years. Too bad they wasted their golden generation by having an average manager like Roberto Martinez.

Morocco have the Arab Pep and could be the surprise package.

Lukaku enters the fray with ten left

Morocco dominated the game and punished the second best ranked team in the world! What a crazy tournament has this been so far! Wow! Can't believe!

Belgium never quite turned up and the pressure was visible on their faces.

Morocco looks a sleeper hit type side very organized side could be potential quarter finalists

The shocks so far

FT: Belgium 0-2 Morocco

Argentina (third) 1-2 Saudi Arabia (51)
Germany (11) 1-2 Japan (24)
Belgium (second) 0-2 Morocco (22)

The numbers in brackets indicate their current position in the Fifa world rankings.

==

Morocco caused the latest shock at a World Cup that has been full of surprises by beating Belgium thanks to late goals by Abdelhamid Sabiri and Zakaria Aboukhlal.

Belgium keeper Thibaut Courtois was at fault for the first goal, inexplicably allowing Sabiri's inswinging free-kick to beat him at his near post with 17 minutes to go.

But the whole Belgium side paid the price for a ponderous performance, with Morocco capping a magnificent second-half display when Aboukhlal fired Hakim Ziyech's cutback into the roof of the net in stoppage time.

That sparked wild celebrations in the stands of Al Thumama Stadium from thousands of Morocco fans, who had created a raucous atmosphere from the start.

The result means Morocco move above Belgium to the top of Group F on four points, with Croatia and Canada meeting later on Sunday (16:00 GMT kick-off).

Messi is nothing without Xavi and Iniesta as his trajectory since they left had shown and his pitiful turnout for PSG

:)))

Try watching football. It helps. Messi has been one of the best players in the world this season. He has been simply phenomenal for PSG.

Yes Messi is nothing with Xavi and Ronaldo, just like Ronaldo is nothing without Modric and couldn’t win the UCL with Madrid before he arrived from Spurs.

Brilliant performance from Morocco, a convincing 2-0 win and it could have easily been by 3 or even 4 goals. For me personally it wasn’t a shock result and I’m not surprised it happened. Belgium are on a steep downward trajectory as a team, whereas Morocco in contrast look a really decent and professional outfit. Potential quarter finalists.

Canada goal vs croatia is its first ever in a world cup. As i type this croatia has tied the game 🙃

Iran Fury Over Jurgen Klinsmann's FIFA World Cup Criticism

Iran and coach Carlos Queiroz called on Jurgen Klinsmann to resign from a FIFA experts panel on Sunday after the former Germany striker accused the Iranians of gamesmanship in their World Cup win over Wales. Klinsmann, a member of FIFA's seven-member technical study group that is analysing the World Cup in Qatar, took aim at Iran's antics following their 2-0 Group B win against Wales on Friday. The former USA coach said a series of niggling fouls and the conduct of the Iranian coaching staff during the game was part of a deliberate strategy to make opponents "lose their focus".

"This is not by coincidence. This is all purposely. This is part of their culture, that's how they play it," Klinsmann said while working as a studio analyst for the BBC.

"They work the referee -- you saw the bench always jumping off and working the linesman and the fourth referee on the sideline.

"Constantly in their ears, constantly in your face on the field... this is their culture.

"They make you lose their focus, make you lose your concentration and what's really important to you."

Klinsmann's remarks drew a furious response from Iran's football federation and Queiroz, who branded the German World Cup winner's remarks a "disgrace to football."

"Even not knowing me personally, you question my character with a typical prejudiced judgment of superiority," Queiroz wrote in a series of posts on Twitter.

"No matter how much I can respect what you did inside the pitch, those remarks about Iran culture, Iran national team and my players are a disgrace to football."

"Nobody can hurt our integrity if it is not at our level, of course," the veteran former Portugal coach added.

Queiroz invited Klinsmann to visit the Iranian camp at the World Cup to "listen how much they love and respect football" despite the "outrageous" criticism.

However he said Klinsmann would only be welcome if he stepped down from his FIFA role.

"We just want to follow with full attention what will be the decision of FIFA regarding your position as a member of Qatar 2022 Technical Study Group," he wrote.

"Because, obviously, we expect you to resign before you visit our camp."

Iran's federation meanwhile drew attention to Klinsmann's reputation for "famous dramatic dives" during his career, as well as Germany's involvement in the infamous 1982 World Cup clash with Austria known as the "Disgrace of Gijon", when both sides appeared to agree on a mutually beneficial result that eliminated Algeria.

"Iran Football Federation already asked for FIFA immediate clarification on this matter, demanding Mr Klinsmann apologies (sic) and resignation of his duties as FIFA Technical Study Group member," the Iran Football Federation said.

Speaking to the BBC on Sunday, Klinsmann said he planned to contact Queiroz to "calm things down", denying he had criticised the manager or his staff.

"All I described was their emotional way of doing things, which is actually admirable in a certain way," Klinsmann said.

"The whole bench lives the game. They're jumping up and down and Carlos is a very emotional coach, he's constantly on the sidelines trying to give his players all his energy and direction."

Iran face the United States in their final Group B game on Tuesday, where a win would put them through to the last 16.

NDTV

Serbia Face FIFA Probe Over Kosovo Flag At Qatar World Cup

FIFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against the Serbian football federation after the team hung a controversial flag depicting Kosovo in their changing room before their loss to Brazil at the World Cup.
The Kosovo football federation (FFK) filed a complaint with the governing body after photos showed a version of the Serbian flag with a map including Kosovo as part of the country and stamped with the slogan "there will be no surrender". Kosovo, a former Yugoslav province with an Albanian majority, declared independence from Serbia in 2008, which Belgrade refuses to recognise.

"The FIFA disciplinary committee has opened proceedings against the football association of Serbia due to a flag displayed in their dressing room on the occasion of the Brazil v Serbia FIFA World Cup match played on 24 November," FIFA said in a statement.

FIFA's disciplinary code prohibits "offensive behaviour and violation of the principles of fair play" and "using a sports event for demonstrations of a non-sporting nature".

Kosovo sports minister Hajrulla Ceku on Friday tweeted his anger at "disgraceful images from the Serbia locker room, displaying hateful, xenophobic and genocidal messages."

Ceku added: "We expect concrete actions from FIFA considering that (Kosovo) is a full FIFA and UEFA member."

Kosovo joined FIFA and European confederation UEFA in 2016.

"Such a chauvinist act has no place at sporting events and even less inside establishments where the biggest world football event is taking place," the FFK said in a statement.

"It is unacceptable that this act is passed over in silence and we insistently demand that FIFA strictly apply its rules and punish the Serbian football federation for this aggressive act contrary to the values that football transmits," it added.

NDTV

Maybe the crowd factor is also hampering European sides, Morocco massively supported against Belgium as has been the case in many games like ARG v KSA

Anyone who has followed Morocco since 2018 will not think this win was a shock
They dominated vs Spain, Portugal and Iran in 2018 being very unlucky to lose 2 of them.

Croatia on song are just insane pass pass pass and heck of a pass.....stunning probably the only Eastern European side who plays free flowing football

Canada should be very proud of their efforts at this World Cup.

Played 2 very strong opponents and in both matches they've outplayed them at times.

BREAKING: Police have sealed off parts of the Brussels city centre, deployed water cannons and have fired tier gas to disperse crowds following violence during and after Morocco's World Cup win against Belgium.

Croatia once again showing that they are not a team to be taken lightly. They can go deep into this tournamnet.

FULL-TIME
Croatia 4-1 Canada

Croatia go top of Group F and Canada's hopes of reaching the last 16 are over, despite scoring in only the second minute.

But Croatia's class then shone through. Andrej Kramaric scored twice, with Marko Livaja and substitute Lovro Majer also getting on the scoresheet.

==

Alphonso Davies scored Canada's first ever World Cup goal, but it was not enough to stop them being knocked out of the tournament following a defeat by Croatia.

Bayern Munich winger Davies' second-minute opener gave Canada hope, but they ended up second best and have suffered back-to-back defeats in their first two group matches.

In Group F's earlier game, Morocco shocked world number two side Belgium 2-0 and are second in the standings, behind 2018 finalists Croatia.

John Herdman's outsiders scored from the game's first attack after only 67 seconds courtesy of a towering header from Davies, who darted into the box and powerfully converted from Tajon Buchanan's cross.

Croatia, though, did not panic after falling behind and created numerous chances, with striker Andrej Kramaric seeing a goal ruled out for offside.

But the former Leicester striker equalised with a first-time angled shot from Ivan Perisic's pass, and Marko Livaja put them ahead with a rasping drive from the edge of the box.

Kramaric was denied by Milan Borjan's fine save in the second half and at the other end, Dominik Livakovic acrobatically tipped over Jonathan David's long-range curler.

Hoffenheim frontman Kramaric got his second of the game by coolly converting into the far corner, and substitute Lovro Majer wrapped up the match by netting in injury time.

Last edited:
Back