Argentina defeat France 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup

Croatia are a likeable team. I am glad they went to semi-final.

But, Argentina showed their superiority.

Messi's assist game is next level this tournament can he do it in the final?

Messi is simply a genius. What a player!

This is why he is better than Ronaldo. He can influence the game of football without boosting his goalscoring stats. Ronaldo can't.

Dybala has been brought in.

He is probably the next big thing from Argentina after Messi is gone.

The GOAT is on the brink of becoming the first player in history to win two Golden Balls. He also on course to winning the Golden Boot & his 8th Ballon d'Or.

He was the GOAT before this World Cup started, but after his performances in this tournament, he simply increased the gap between himself & the second best player of all time.

5 goals, 3 assists, 4 Man of the Match awards, 1 GOAT.

Job well done, Argentina. It was way too one-sided. Expected a better semi-final.

Tomorrow's game will be better hopefully.

The magic is from Messi.

The muscle and legs are there from his team-mates.

A solid combination.

Modric is a special player.

Croatia should be proud. They are a very small country. For them to reach the final and semi finals of the last two world cups is a great achievement.

Argentina's master and pupil Lionel Messi and Julian Alvarez combined to deadly effect as they reached their sixth World Cup final with victory over Croatia at Lusail Stadium.

Messi now gets one last chance to win the piece of silverware that has eluded him in his trophy-laden career but Manchester City's 22-year-old striker Alvarez claimed at least an equal share of top billing as Argentina ensured they will return here on Sunday to face either France or Morocco.

Argentina's little genius looked to be struggling with a hamstring problem early on but recovered enough to break the deadlock from the penalty spot after 34 minutes following Croatia goalkeeper Dominik Livakovic's foul on the marauding Alvarez.

Alvarez doubled Argentina's lead five minutes later when he took Messi's header just inside Croatian territory and embarked on a slaloming run, aided by fortunate bounces off Josip Juranovic and Borna Sosa, before beating Livakovic.

There was no fortune involved in a brilliant third after the break as Messi mesmerised Croatia's excellent defender Josko Gvardiol on the byeline before playing in Alvarez for the finish.

Messi will now have the opportunity to make amends for the bitter disappointment of losing the 2014 World Cup final to Germany in Rio's iconic Maracana.

This Argentina remind me of some of their teams when Maradona played.

They relied heavily on Diego for the magic, but boy did they work hard for each other and never gave the opposition an inch.

This Argentina remind me of some of their teams when Maradona played.

They relied heavily on Diego for the magic, but boy did they work hard for each other and never gave the opposition an inch.

Agreed. They have been very well set up to maximise Messi's talent and run twice as hard in the areas he no longer can. Alverez with his pace and goals is a perfect foil. Their manager has done a great job of producing a very well balanced side which is performing brilliantly as a team.

Can't believe Brazil died for this farce.

Job well done, Argentina. It was way too one-sided. Expected a better semi-final.

Tomorrow's game will be better hopefully.

Quite often at tournaments the semi finals and even more so the final are not great to watch.

Group games, round of 16, and the quarters in particular are usually much more exciting.

Usually seems to be the case tbh.

Dybala is nearly 30 bro. He isn't the future.

The future is possibly Julian Alvaraz.

:lol: I'll go with Icardi!

Argentina is underrated. If it wasn't for the robot, more noise would be made about Ala0varez. They've got Enzo, Molina and a few other really good players. Martinez in defence. This is a better team than Netherlands 2010

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

Argentina have literally stormed into the Final. What an impressive show!

It seems as if the shocking defeat against Saudi Arabia, and the reactions that it brought from the fans and the media, actually motivated them to prove what they were capable of, and they´ve done exactly that. A team which looked threatening has justified its position as one of the favourites to win the tournament, and not too many teams have justified this tag in this edition, mind you. So, well done to them!

Argentina have literally stormed into the Final. What an impressive show!

It seems as if the shocking defeat against Saudi Arabia, and the reactions that it brought from the fans and the media, actually motivated them to prove what they were capable of, and they´ve done exactly that. A team which looked threatening has justified its position as one of the favourites to win the tournament, and not too many teams have justified this tag in this edition, mind you. So, well done to them!

Apparently they have lost only one of their last 42 games that being the Saudi one, their changes have worked wonders for them, lets see if they can go all the way.

Quite often at tournaments the semi finals and even more so the final are not great to watch.

Group games, round of 16, and the quarters in particular are usually much more exciting.

Usually seems to be the case tbh.

1994, 2006,2010,2014 finals were pretty good in recent memories though.

The World Cup I enjoyed the most was the one in Mexico City 1984 I think. Also soccer in the 80s and 90/ was more free flowing. More entertaining. . Now it’s to tactical .Not as exciting ti watch.

I'm so nervous for Morocco today. I really want them to win but France seems too strong though.

Morocco Airline Cancels World Cup Fans' Flights, Cites Qatar Restrictions

Morocco's national airline said it was cancelling all flights it had scheduled for Wednesday to carry fans to Doha for the World Cup semi-final, citing what it said was a decision by Qatari authorities.

"Following the latest restrictions imposed by the Qatari authorities, Royal Air Maroc regrets to inform customers of the cancellation of their flights operated by Qatar Airways," the airline said in an emailed statement.

The Qatari government's international media office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Royal Air Maroc had previously said it would lay on 30 additional flights to help fans get to Qatar for Wednesday night's semi-final game against France but on Tuesday a source at a RAM travel agency said only 14 flights had been scheduled.

The cancellation of Wednesday's seven scheduled flights means RAM was only able to fly the seven flights on Tuesday, leaving fans who had already booked match tickets or hotel rooms unable to travel.

RAM said it would reimburse air tickets and apologised to customers.

The RAM spokesperson did not immediately respond to Reuters' request for comment. Qatar Airways did not immediately respond to Reuters' request for comment.

NDTV

The World Cup I enjoyed the most was the one in Mexico City 1984 I think. Also soccer in the 80s and 90/ was more free flowing. More entertaining. . Now it’s to tactical .Not as exciting ti watch.

Mexico was 86.

This is the best world cup, no doubt about it.

Huge day in the history of African and Moroccan football!

Keep playing the same way, give it all !

Over 1 billion fans are behind you! Come on Atlas Lions

France make two changes from the side that sent England home at the quarter-final stage.

Liverpool defender Ibrahima Konate and Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana come into the side.

Dayot Upamecano and Adrien Rabiot are the players to drop out.

Olivier Giroud leads the line once more, supported by the in-form Antoine Griezmann and the irrepressible Kylian Mbappe.

France XI: Lloris, Kounde, Varane, Konate, Fofana, Hernandez

Morocco have been boosted by the news that West Ham defender Nayef Aguerd and Bayern Munich full-back Noussair Mazraoui return to the starting XI after missing out from the quarter-final victory over Portugal.

Valladolid's Jawad El Yamiq retains his place in the side meaning Walid Regragui's side may line up with five at the back.

Yahya Attiat-Allah and Selim Amallah are the players to drop to the bench, Striker Walid Cheddira is suspended after his red card in the previous round.

Morocco XI: Bounou, Hakimi, Saiss, Aguerd, El Yamiq, Mazraoui, Amrabat, Ounahi, Ziyech, Boufal, En-Nesyri.

France make two changes from the side that sent England home at the quarter-final stage.

Liverpool defender Ibrahima Konate and Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana come into the side.

Dayot Upamecano and Adrien Rabiot are the players to drop out.

Olivier Giroud leads the line once more, supported by the in-form Antoine Griezmann and the irrepressible Kylian Mbappe.

France XI: Lloris, Kounde, Varane, Konate, Fofana, Hernandez

Not a huge loss imo but a different team at this stage isnt great.

Konate played a blinder of a champions league final v Real Madrid, he can stand up in the big games.

Morocco have everyone fit, they will be very determined.

Should be a great match!

Having watched the Morocco Portugal game in the stadium, I can tell you France will be tested by the noise of the crowd which is predominantly Moroccans.

Lets just watch the game without reading rubbish.

Good luck to both teams as LFC defender is playing but really hope Morocco arrives at the final on Sunday!

Enjoy the game :)

I fear if Morocco concedes early, they can't come back because they haven't trailed so far in the tournament.

Saiss World Cup over I think - loved his spirit but he had to come off

If France win today, final will be played between two PSG star - Messi and Mbappe.

PSG is owned by Qatar Sports Investment

#JustSaying

:kp

I think this is it for Morocco.

Argentina vs France is looking likely. 2018 WC Round of 16 rematch.

Game of the tournament as far as the atmosphere is concerned. Moroccans must be feeling like a home game.

There were parallels made between Greece 2004 and Morocco 2022, but Greece didn't concede a goal in the knockouts. Morocco conceded an early goal that has killed off their chances.

Morocco can return home with heads high even if they lose this.

I think they should defeat Croatia and become 3rd.

If France win today, final will be played between two PSG star - Messi and Mbappe.

PSG is owned by Qatar Sports Investment

#JustSaying

:kp

Or if Argentina wins since they lost to Saudi Arabia maybe can consider Saudi Arabia unofficial champs.

Plenty of things to look forward to and cheer for :amla

Morocco is an underdog team and while they are a heartwarming story they are such a boring team. Don’t look like a champion side by any means. Can see gulf in quality and style of both teams.

Gary Lineker has been brushing up on his tan during the days off I see.

Morocco is an underdog team and while they are a heartwarming story they are such a boring team. Don’t look like a champion side by any means. Can see gulf in quality and style of both teams.

This particular game morocco is playing very well offensively

Doesn’t reflect the way this game is going at all.

Morocco playing well.

Morocco dominating now.

Just that final ball has been lacking from them.

France looking rattled.

Back