Argentina defeat France 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup

Fully deserved the win!

Congrats to all of Morocco and all Africans and All Muslims"!

View attachment 118090

I might be in the minority, but defensively they’ve been entertaining to watch! there’s a method to their play and their defence has been, well impregnable! :afridi

Congrats bro, inshaAllah the colonisers / arguably most hateful nation (to muslims) in Europe will be humiliated next

I might be in the minority, but defensively they’ve been entertaining to watch! there’s a method to their play and their defence has been, well impregnable! :afridi

Congrats bro, inshaAllah the colonisers / arguably most hateful nation (to muslims) in Europe will be humiliated next

Agree. Their defensive organisation is like an orchestra! The way they all move in unison, go in hard when need to and put their body on the line every single time. Morocco also have great counter attacking skills.

France will not have an easy time and yes Godwilling the Atlas Lions will make us all proud!

Had a great day watching Morocco win and then witnessed some lovely celebrations.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 80%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/rro051" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Had a great day watching Morocco win and then witnessed some lovely celebrations.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 80%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/rro051" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Beautiful.

Moroccans deserve it. They have been amazing (fans and players).

FjnImdGXoAEo69J

Fifa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Argentina and the Netherlands after their bad-tempered 2022 World Cup quarter-final.

The camps of both sides clashed during a feisty encounter which saw the Dutch come from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 before Argentina won on penalties.

Spanish referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz issued 18 yellows cards - a World Cup record - in the game.

Dutch right-back Denzel Dumfries was sent off after picking up two bookings.

Fifa said its disciplinary committee had opened proceedings against Argentina "due to potential breaches of articles 12 (misconduct of players and officials) and 16 (order and security at matches)".

World football's governing body added: "Additionally, the Fifa disciplinary committee has opened proceedings against the Dutch Football Association due to potential breaches of article 12 of the Fifa disciplinary code in relation to the same match."

BBC

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Absolutely brilliant from Morocco at this World Cup:<br><br>Drew with Croatia<br>Beat Belgium<br>Beat Spain<br>Beat Portugal<br><br>Only conceded 1 goal in the tournament and that was an own goal<br><br>They become the first African team to reach the semi-finals of the World Cup<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FIFAWorldCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#FIFAWorldCup</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1601622319180697601?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 10, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

They won't win anything even without Southgate.

If you take a top 10 of the best players in the world each year for the last 15 years you will struggle to find any englishmen.

They certainty would have a better chance though, if someone more competent was the manager.

Holland has been part of some of the most violent matches in recent world cups
Vs Portugal in 2006
vs Spain in 2010
vs argentina in 2022

Something about the Dutch when they play Latin sides

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congratulations to Morocco on their victory over Portugal to reach the Football World Cup semi finals. First time an Arab, African & a Muslim team has reached a FIFA World Cup semi final. Wishing them success in the semi final & beyond.</p>— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) <a href="https://twitter.com/ImranKhanPTI/status/1601777732815585280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 11, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Speaking of Turkey anyone else feel it is very weird how they have qualified for so few world cups? Mediocre Euro sides like Poland, Ukraine, Denmark seem to qualify for every other world cup yet Turkey has never qualified apart from 1954 and 2002

Another video of some incredible scene in Doha after win by Morocco

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 80%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/j2tztr" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

History makers.

Three previous African sides had reached the quarter-finals of the competition - but could not take that step further.

This time, it was different.

Marvellous Morocco have lit up this World Cup - and their fans got their reward by witnessing their side becoming the first from their continent to reach the semi-finals.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal were sent home, and the Atlas Lions go roaring on courtesy of Youssef En-Nesyri's first-half headed winner.

"We are becoming a team everyone loves because we are showing what we can achieve," said victorious boss Walid Regragui.

"If you show the passion, heart and belief, you can succeed and my players have shown that. It is not a miracle - those in Europe might say it is, but we have beaten Portugal, Spain, Belgium and drawn against Croatia without conceding. That is the result of hard work.

"African and Arab teams work hard but we have made our people happy and proud. The whole continent is proud. When you watch Rocky Balboa, you want to support him and we are the Rocky of this World Cup."

Cameroon (1990), Senegal (2002) and Ghana (2010) had all fallen at the quarter-final hurdle but Morocco broke the glass ceiling to cause pandemonium at Al Thumama Stadium.

Having whistled each touch of the ball from the Portuguese, the watching supporters' jeers turned to a cacophony of cheers as substitutes piled on to the pitch at full-time.

"Seer, seer, (go, go)," chanted the fans. "Dima Maghrib (Forever Morocco)," screamed others.

Boss Regragui, who has masterminded this run, was hoisted into the air by his players, who then sprinted towards their supporters behind the goal with arms aloft.

Former Scotland winger Pat Nevin said on BBC Radio 5 Live: "The noise in this stadium is incredible. I am trying to think of when such a shock as this has happened in the World Cup.

"They deserve it, not only for the skill and effort but that noise just keeps on turning up."

Morocco had become not just the first African side, but also the first Arab one from a country with a Muslim majority, to reach the last four of the biggest competition in world football.

The team have displayed their Islamic beliefs, reciting passages of the Quran in their huddle before their success on penalties over Spain in the previous round.

As they had done then too, players and staff bowed down for sujud (prostration) in front of their fans after victory over Portugal.

Meanwhile, substitute Achraf Dari celebrated by draping himself in a Palestine flag, Paris St-Germain's Achraf Hakimi found his mum again to kiss her while ex-Southampton winger Sofiane Boufal danced with his mum.

Regragui was one of the last to leave the pitch at the end, clearly emotional after such a significant victory.

He was applauded into the post-match news conference once more alongside goalkeeper Bono and said his team "Alhamdulillah (thanks to God)" had a chance of winning the World Cup and that all of the world was now with Morocco "Inshallah (if God wishes)."

He added: "It is the first time I have cried at the end of a match. I have to be an example and show I am mentally strong but sometimes it is too much for you.

"Getting to the semi-finals of the World Cup, the emotions just pour out. I would be lying if we thought we would get to this stage, I just could not control the tears."

Morocco goalkeeper Yassine Bounou, the player of the match, added: "We are here to change the mentality and get rid of the inferiority. Morocco is out to face anyone in the world, beyond the semi-finals and anything else.

"We have changed this mentality and the generation coming after us will know Moroccan players can create miracles.

"I have great players with me and they are all fantastic. When anyone faces Morocco now, they know they can play at the highest level."

There were more tears, this time from Cristiano Ronaldo, who trudged down the tunnel at full-time knowing at the age of 37, his dream of lifting the World Cup may well be over.
==

This is a mammoth sporting moment and is the best performance in this team's history but it goes beyond football. This is a much-needed moment of collective joy and pride for a whole region and a continent. Fans have travelled from across the Arab world to be here in Doha.

"Now I can tell my kid I was there when my team made history," one fan told me.

The three words I've heard most Moroccan fans have been "proud", "belief" and "confidence".

As one fan put it: "This is a moment of confidence that we can stand head to head with the giants."

Tonight, there is one more word to add to Morocco's 2022 World Cup tale. History.

Morocco are a solid, well-organised outfit - but were without key defenders. West Ham's Nayef Aguerd and Bayern Munich's Noussair Mazraoui were injured, while captain Romain Saiss taken off on a stretcher in the second half.

It did not matter.

Their replacements showed the battling spirit needed to drag them through.

Morocco are unbeaten in eight games under Regragui, who was appointed only in September, and they have kept seven clean sheets - conceding only an own goal against Canada in the group stages.

Regragui said: "This is the most difficult tournament. We have played some of the best teams, but it is true we could have conceded against Portugal.

"But if you put in the heart, desire and humility you make your own luck. The energy from the African and Arab people gave us good vibes.

"Everyone was behind us and we have made this fantastic achievement and got into the history books. We are into the best four in the world. These are tremendous players and deserve all the plaudits they get.

"We have shown people African teams can get to the semi-final, even the final. Earlier in the tournament, I was asked if we can win the World Cup - why not? Why shouldn't we dream?

"If you don't dream, you don't get anywhere and dreams don't cost anything. European teams are used to winning the World Cup. Now we have to get in there and go beyond ourselves."

BBC

Last edited:
2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

Again, we often talk about how it´s a team game after all, at the end of the day but, as things stand, England would´ve drawn the match if Kane hadn´t missed the penalty, and things would´ve turned much more tight and interesting. It´s bad to miss a penalty in a Penalty Shoot-out, but it´s almost criminal to do so in the stages before that. Kane would probably require a lifetime to get over it. England and penalties don´t go down well with each other, and the history continues.

I often mention the missed penalty by Mbappe in the Penalty Shoot-out from the last Euro against Switzerland because, the moment his turn came, I was shouting loud that "He will miss it, he´ll miss it!" The same happened yesterday. I was so sure that Kane will miss it that I was making a prior announcement again and again that this is going out. The funniest thing still is that I even predicted that he´ll land it in the crowd, and exactly so it happened! An unbelievable moment, a moment of real pain for England. I feel for them.

France were brilliant in attack, and that goal by Tchouaméni was a world class one - one of the best of the tournament, well and truly - but, as a team, they were really poor in defence. Their strategy in defence revolved heavily around doing fouls and tackling and hoping for the best. You won´t get away like this every day by gifting your opposition two penalties. Most of the times, if not each time, it´ll convert into two goals against you. France must re-visit their game plan on this particular aspect. They were lucky to get away with it yesternight.

Last edited:

Morocco´s unbelievable journey continues! First Belgium, then Spain, then Ronaldo´s Portugal, this is some serious stuff! They haven´t scrapped through due to luck or anything, they´ve beaten some of the favourites of the tournament; and the only goal which they´ve conceded so far (which came against Canada) was actually an own goal! How awesome is that?! They play as a team, and this has been the key to their success.

Take a bow to their spirit and determination!

Worth remembering that France were winning 5 or 6 players including Kante, Benzema and Pogba.

This really was a weakened France team which still did so well against England.

France has shown that they can still deliver results on the field when they don’t play at top gear and they have players missing. There is romance around the other three semi finalists, for different reasons in each case, but France are still surely the team to beat here.

France v Croatia final again?

I think many would like to see Argentina win it due to Messi, but Croatia are such wily campaigners.

A face-off between Messi and Ronaldo in a World Cup match stays an unfulfilled dream, but, more importantly, a legend of the game walked off in tears and much emotional pain. It is the controversy and the circumstances revolving around his exit which leave a far more bitter taste in the mouth than just the fact that it could probably be his last appearance for Portugal, his national team. Some things are just not meant to be and are destined to stay incomplete, I suppose, as sad as it might be.

The mental block is caused by the incessant media and fan belief that 'its coming home', 30 seconds into a world cup.

This is a cursed chant.

It maybe but definitely exists. With its history and fan base, those chants aren't going anywhere and the players aren't good enough to handle it.

Of all SFs strength wise teams are ranked as

1. France
2.Croatia
3. Argentina
4. Morocco

Even if you look at on paper it's exactly same France, Croatia, Argentina and Morocco

Predictions a repeat of 2018 France v Croatia.

French are quality all over the pitch from fullbacks to midfield to attack, Croatia have a stern defence and orchestral midfield, Argentina bar Messi are just a good team and Morocco this would be a step too far for them

A face-off between Messi and Ronaldo in a World Cup match stays an unfulfilled dream, but, more importantly, a legend of the game walked off in tears and much emotional pain. It is the controversy and the circumstances revolving around his exit which leave a far more bitter taste in the mouth than just the fact that it could probably be his last appearance for Portugal, his national team. Some things are just not meant to be and are destined to stay incomplete, I suppose, as sad as it might be.

Ronaldo has lost speed, otherwise the chance he had at the close in his prime or 2-3 years back he would had buried it, you can get all aesthetics but the strength and power is irreplaceable that was shades of ageing Undertaker

They certainty would have a better chance though, if someone more competent was the manager.

They have tried all managers- from fake ones like Sven to to top European ones like Capello, to traditional ones like big Sam. Players freeze under pressure and no matter who the manager is, no one has managed to make much of a difference bar Southgate and he is pretty average

Worth remembering that France were winning 5 or 6 players including Kante, Benzema and Pogba.

This really was a weakened France team which still did so well against England.

The much maligned Pandya comment about winning with 2 teams is actually true for France hence why they were always my favourites to win. They are cruising tbh.

Any thoughts on the commentary for the World Cup ?

I've been switching between various english language channels covering the WC and Daniel Mann from the official world feed is by far the best. Peter Drury is not bad but too theatrical sometimes.

Martin Tyler has been working for SBS Australia this year and he sounds like he's bored this entire tournament.

FIFA Opens Disciplinary Proceedings Against Argentina, Netherlands After World Cup Quarter-Final Clash: Report

FIFA have opened a disciplinary case against Argentina and the Netherlands after their chaotic World Cup quarter-final clash on Friday. According to a report in The Athletic, FIFA cited "order and security at matches" in its disciplinary code for charging the Lionel Messi-led side. A new World Cup record was set during the tense match as Spanish referee Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz issued 17 bookings, including a red card to the Dutch right-back Denzel Dumfries.

"The FIFA Disciplinary Committee has opened proceedings against the Argentinian Football Association due to potential breaches of articles 12 (Misconduct of players and officials) and 16 (Order and security at matches) of the FIFA Disciplinary Code during the Netherlands v. Argentina FIFA World Cup match that took place on 9 December," FIFA said in a statement, as per The Athletic.

"Additionally, the FIFA Disciplinary Committee has opened proceedings against the Dutch Football Association due to potential breaches of article 12 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code in relation to the same match," the statement added.

The match ended in chaos after the Netherlands striker Wout Weghorst scored twice after coming off the bench to send that game to extra-time, and eventually penalties.

A lot of incidents happened during the game, as well as after the end of the match.

Argentina captain Messi had an altercation with the Netherlands coach Louis van Gaal.

Argentina had won the game eventually on penalties.

Argentina are scheduled to take on Croatia in the World Cup semi-final on Tuesday.

NDTV

I've been switching between various english language channels covering the WC and Daniel Mann from the official world feed is by far the best. Peter Drury is not bad but too theatrical sometimes.

Martin Tyler has been working for SBS Australia this year and he sounds like he's bored this entire tournament.

On ITV, Clive Tyldesley and Ally McCoist are a great duo. Seb Hutchinson is also good.

Guy Mowbray is decent on BBC.

World Cup 2018, first proper team we lost, Croatia.

Euro 20, easy run, lucky versus Denmark and beaten by Italy.

World Cup 2022, played nobody of nought and beaten by a good France, not a spectacular one missing several players

Listening to Spanish one without understanding its awesome after every goal the guy goes goaaalllllllllllllllllllllll lol

World Cup football is so much better than World Cup cricket.

Football = One awesome World Cup every four years.
Cricket = There's one ICC event every single year.

ICC has destroyed cricket with excessive commercialization. They should look at FIFA. There should be only one World Cup (maximum 2) every four years. Get rid of everything else.

We are four games away from completion of this World Cup. What a tournament this has been!

World Cup football is so much better than World Cup cricket.

Football = One awesome World Cup every four years.
Cricket = There's one ICC event every single year.

ICC has destroyed cricket with excessive commercialization. They should look at FIFA. There should be only one World Cup (maximum 2) every four years. Get rid of everything else.

We are four games away from completion of this World Cup. What a tournament this has been!

The football world cup is better because it is a universally followed sport, not a minor one like cricket which only relatively recently freed former slave nations consider important. Cricket has potential as a sport but as long as one nation is still in corner shop mentality of grabbing all the money while they can rather than growing the sport it will remain endangered.

The football world cup is better because it is a universally followed sport, not a minor one like cricket which only relatively recently freed former slave nations consider important. Cricket has potential as a sport but as long as one nation is still in corner shop mentality of grabbing all the money while they can rather than growing the sport it will remain endangered.

Only since 2010 you can make that argument what did ICC do for all these years before that?

If it was upto them India and Srilanka wouldnt be competitive either.

Only since 2010 you can make that argument what did ICC do for all these years before that?

If it was upto them India and Srilanka wouldnt be competitive either.

They grew the sport in places like Ireland, USA, Nederlands, UAE, Zimbambwe, Afghanistan, Canada, Scotland...

Where did your country grow the sport rather than pursue the failed Big 3 option? I think the other Big 2 opted out.

They have tried all managers- from fake ones like Sven to to top European ones like Capello, to traditional ones like big Sam. Players freeze under pressure and no matter who the manager is, no one has managed to make much of a difference bar Southgate and he is pretty average

But this is the best team England have had since 1966 when they last won the world cup. This is their golden generation and they are wasting it with a crap manager like Southgate, who would struggle to land a Championship job.

They grew the sport in places like Ireland, USA, Nederlands, UAE, Zimbambwe, Afghanistan, Canada, Scotland...

Where did your country grow the sport rather than pursue the failed Big 3 option? I think the other Big 2 opted out.

They didn't grow it any of those countries, they wouldn’t even had allowed WC to be taken outside of England if it was upto them.

Why are they getting credit for Afghanistan lol and nothing has been grown in Canada Scotland.

Afghanistan usa (mostly due ti Expats)is majorly after 2010, it was because Asian block that worldcup came outside of England

Although we´re left with no choice but to praise and admire this highly spirited and determined Moroccan team, but often the thing with these "Weaker teams" (if I can use these words without wanting to sound disrespectful here) is that, the moment they get closer to the glory, let´s say a semi-final or a final, the moment they themselves realise that they´re in with a serious chance, and the moment some of the other much stronger teams begin to take you much more seriously, these teams run out of steam and their strengths and weaknesses get found out as the challenge gets bigger and bigger. So, I fear that France might just turn out to be one step too high for them - and on papers it´s not a contest anyway - but this is football, after all, and funny things have happened in this game. The key for Morocco would be to stick to their strengths and not to get overawed by the occasion. Just continue to stay focused on the job in hand and just skip the thoughts on the result.

As for the first Semi-Final, it might actually end up running much more closer. One thing is for sure, as I´ve known Croatia over the years, they´ll score, they´ll definitely get one past the Argentinian defence. It might then just be about whether Argentina scores one more than them or whether it stays level after the Full-Time, or then even the Extra-Time. If it goes down to a Penalty Shoot-out, the Croatian goal-keeper is a serious threat, I tell you. If it comes down to the tie-breaker, Croatia will be in with a serious chance.

The good thing, though, is that we´ve a team from South America, one from Africa, and two from Europe in last four. This is how a WORLD Cup is supposed to look like. Very good for the game, obviously. Here´s hoping for cracking games as the Quarter-Finals were.

"There Might Be Arguments...": Argentina Coach Lionel Scaloni On Stormy World Cup Clash With Netherlands

Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni defended his players from accusations of misconduct in their fractious World Cup quarter-final against the Netherlands, insisting on Monday that the game was played in the "right way". The South American team have recovered from a shock defeat at the hands of Saudi Arabia in their opening group game in Qatar to reach the last four.

But the two-time champions were heavily criticised following their bad-tempered last-eight clash with the Netherlands last week. Scaloni's side threw away a two-goal lead against the Dutch at Lusail Stadium but eventually triumphed 4-3 in a penalty shoot-out.

However, the game featured a World Cup record 18 yellow cards and multiple mass confrontations, and FIFA has since opened disciplinary proceedings against both sides. Argentina will be without Gonzalo Montiel and Marcos Acuna due to suspension against 2018 finalists Croatia as a result, but Scaloni, speaking on the eve of the semi-final, stood up for his men.

"The game the other day was played in the right way by both teams. That is football," said the 44-year-old, who led Argentina to victory at last year's Copa America.

"There are times when you have to attack and times when you have to defend, times too when there might be arguments. We all know how to win and how to lose. When we lost to Saudi Arabia we left without saying anything, and when we won the Copa America in Brazil I think we saw one of the most beautiful images of good sportsmanship in football with Neymar and Messi and (Leandro) Paredes together on the steps at the Maracana.

"I don't buy this idea that we don't know how to win. The game was played in the right way."

Scaloni was non-committal over the future of Lionel Messi but said he would "enjoy having him" while he was still playing. Messi, 35, admitted before the tournament that this would probably his last World Cup.

Scaloni, whose own short international career briefly crossed paths with that of Messi's, has expressed hope that the seven-time Ballon d'Or winner will continue to play international football. "Let's see if he keeps playing or not but for the moment we are just going to enjoy having him," he said. "It's the best thing that could happen to us and to the football world."

Scaloni, who was an assistant to Jorge Sampaoli at the 2018 World Cup, when Argentina lost 3-0 to Croatia in the group stage, also suggested that both Rodrigo De Paul and Angel Di Maria should be fit for Tuesday's game after injury problems.

"In theory they are available and so we are relaxed about that," he said. "We need to see how many minutes they can play, but we will see later today and we also have time tomorrow to decide."

NDTV

FIFA World Cup - Days After Lionel Messi Questioned His Ability, Referee Sent Home: Report

Just days after Argentine superstar Lionel Messi said that Spanish referee Antonio Mateu Lahoz should not have officiated Argentina's tempestuous shootout victory over the Netherlands in the World Cup quarter-finals at Lusail Stadium, reports suggest that Lahoz has been sent home from Qatar and that he will not officiate in any of the remaining four matches of the tournament. A report in the Mirror states that after several complaints emerged against the referee, it has been decided that he won't take any further part in the tournament.

After they got the draw I felt a lot of anger," said Messi. "I don't want to talk about the referee, because they immediately reprimand you or sanction you, but I think people saw what happened.

"FIFA has to review that, it can't give a referee like that a match of this importance, when they're not up to the task."

He added: "We didn't have a great game, and then the referee sent it to extra time. He was always against us. In the last play, it was not a foul."

Mateu Lahoz showed 16 yellow cards in total, with Netherlands wing-back Denzel Dumfries sent off after the penalty shootout for a second booking.

Messi had scored his fourth goal of the tournament from the spot in the 73rd minute after an earlier assist for Nahuel Molina's opener.

Goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez was the hero, saving the Netherlands' first two penalties before Lautaro Martinez struck the winning kick.

"We didn't want extra time or penalties," said Messi. "We suffered too much because of how everything happened, but it is the quarter-finals of a World Cup.

"We knew how to suffer when it was our turn, but we got through to the semi-finals. It's beautiful, something impressive."

NDTV

Argentina gets a lot of decisions in their favor. Irrespective 2-0 before halftime.

Last edited:
Croatia were superb for 30mins.

Argentina woke up and could be 3-0

If Fernandez can calm himself down then this Argentina has a very good chance. He is a very skillful player but somehow looks overwhelmed by the occasion. If I remember correctly he also missed penalty the other day.

One more Argentine goal should kill off the game.

Croatia can still equalize. Netherlands did it last game.

54th minute.

Argentina 2 - Croatia 0.

Not many yellow cards in this game. Last Argentina game had 18 yellow cards.

Different level Messi.

Doesn't seem 100% fit either.

Genius.

Back