Australia 156/4 as India fightback after hosts are being bowled out for a paltry 109 on Day 1

Lol funny thing is Harbhajan in the commentary was saying : "Australians ki to ye ball dekh kr hi 2 wicket gir gayi hoti" when Kunhemann turned his first ball and after that ball the Indian Collapse started
Bhajii doesn't have much of gray matter to talk sensibly about anything!

Last edited:
India will have to bat well in their second innings. If they can get a lead of 100+, India may still be favorites. Australia been performing well in the first innings but failing very badly in the second innings.

India will have to bat well in their second innings. If they can get a lead of 100+, India may still be favorites. Australia been performing well in the first innings but failing very badly in the second innings.

This is far better control by Australia. This 1st innings is enough to shut the doors for India. It all looks like Australia will get to a 300+ score here. I was expecting them to bat at least till the end of today & get a 100+ lead, but looks like they may bat tomorrow full (just need to overcome the morning session).

Kohli and Pujara should be dropped after this series. :inti

Maybe 1 at a time. Pujara should be pressurized to retire from International cricket (he anyhow doesn't play other formats, so its easier). Then Kohli will have no companions to hide (with Rahul too gone). Then he will miss those odd innings too (good looking 30s) where he may look superior than Pujara, Rahane... He will add more pressure on himself and eventually perish (I guess he will be out after 4-6 series! Probably we should wait for another year or two!)

And Pant is not there too (he would have potentially rescued us today (or at least in the 2nd innings) through a partnership with Axar or someone. Kohli, Pujara & Rahane were surviving on this all these days!

Maybe 1 at a time. Pujara should be pressurized to retire from International cricket (he anyhow doesn't play other formats, so its easier). Then Kohli will have no companions to hide (with Rahul too gone). Then he will miss those odd innings too (good looking 30s) where he may look superior than Pujara, Rahane... He will add more pressure on himself and eventually perish (I guess he will be out after 4-6 series! Probably we should wait for another year or two!)

Yes Pujara should be kicked first. He plays only 1 format and in that format too he can't perform. If they ever need a face for protesting against Bazball then Pujara will be that face. :91: :inti

This pitch does have spin but bounce is nice and true which could be the reason Australia are doing better.

Kohli and Pujara should be dropped after this series. :inti

We won't lose anything if we lose these guys even after losing this test. So they need to be booted out of Indian cricket pronto.

But following Indian cricket for more 3 decades now, I know that's not going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve Smith has captained exceptionally. Under him Aussies have been a lot more calmer and he has set very good in and out fields and he rotated the brilliantly as well. Even in 2017 Aus played really well under him. There was no sweep shot drama. They played very patiently even on the Pune pitch

Finally marnus gone again bowled by jadeja but this time not a no ball. Upto Smith and Khwaja now to take a 100+ lead

Can Aussies get a meaningfu big lead here? Or usual collapse coming up?

Said in the series scoreline thread that Australia would lose the series but nick a Test, looks like this might be the one.

We won't lose anything if we lose these guys even after losing this test. So they need to be booted out of Indian cricket pronto.

But following Indian cricket for more 3 decades now, I know that's not going to happen.

Here is his last 10 tests/innings not including todays innings.

2nd Test Vs AUS 44 (84) , 20 (31)
1st Test Vs AUS 12 (26)

2nd Test Vs BAN 24 (73) , 1 (22)

1st Test Vs BAN 1 (5) , 19 (29)

5th Test Vs ENG 20 (40) , 11 (19)

2nd Test Vs SRL 23 (48) , 13 (16)
1st Test Vs SRL 45 (76)
3rd Test Vs SAF 79 (201) , 29 (143)

1st Test Vs SAF 35 (94) , 18 (32)
2nd Test Vs NZL 0 (4) , 36 (84)

Yes its only one 50 in last 10 tests and no 100's since the end of 2019.

He still has looked very comfy in all those innings. Its not that he has totally bombed out or batted like a dud.
He still has the ability to send the pepper up the opposition noses, most notably grumpy jim anderson, broad pratt and defo the aussies.
He represents a threat by just either being on the field or in the dressing room awaiting his turn to bat. When he comes out to bat, there is a buzz of a different level .
His wicket is still the 'THE WICKET' which opposition want.

And i am willing to bet his last 10 odi or last 10 T20 innings would make for prettier reading.
Granted he has not exactly set the thames/yarra/yamuna/umgeni/swan/kelani/ rivers on fire and as an indian fan he is long due a big one, @ the regular Kohli baiters - read @roomali roti [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION] , the rest - of the usual hate kohli gang who diarroahea here with regular freq surely he gets some slack/respect?
i mean he is surely better than ST or MSD in their last days in indian colors -can we show some respect? for all you know he might play a defining innings very soon.

Attachments

• vk last 20.jpg
    vk last 20.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 81

1st Test Vs AUS 12 (26)

1st Test Vs SRL 45 (76)

He still has looked very comfy in all those innings. Its not that he has totally bombed out or batted like a dud.
He still has the ability to send the pepper up the opposition noses, most notably grumpy jim anderson, broad pratt and defo the aussies.
He represents a threat by just either being on the field or in the dressing room awaiting his turn to bat. When he comes out to bat, there is a buzz of a different level .

And i am willing to bet his last 10 odi or last 10 T20 innings would make for prettier reading.
Granted he has not exactly set the thames/yarra/yamuna/umgeni/swan/kelani/ rivers on fire and as an indian fan he is long due a big one, @ the regular Kohli baiters - read @roomali roti [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION] , the rest - of the usual hate kohli gang who diarroahea here with regular freq surely he gets some slack/respect?
i mean he is surely better than ST or MSD in their last days in indian colors -can we show some respect? for all you know he might play a defining innings very soon.
Don't think this matters much when you want to win cricket matches for your country,

For India's sake though, lets hope he does something of note in the next innings as I said above, as much as we want he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

PS: Tendulkar was better than Kohli in last few years, you may check stats. Also, he was not hell bent on playing all formats like Kohli is. As for Dhoni, he was another one who leached off our cricket for 4 extra years.

Smith getting into groove, ominous signs for us.

Axar has been really disappointing this series. Kuldeep would have been so much better. But then we would have lost out on the precious runs Axar made.

Damn you Indian 'batsmen'

1st Test Vs AUS 12 (26)

1st Test Vs SRL 45 (76)

In his last 3 years in test cricket, Tendulkar scored approx 3K test runs @50, with 8 tons.

How many has Kohli scored in his last 3 years in test cricket?

It's such a sacrilege to mention Tendulkar and Kohli in same sentence!

Last edited:
Yeah, he is surely better than Tendulkar in being burden on Indian cricket!

FqIVzcUXsAEqsmD

In his last 3 years in test cricket, Tendulkar scored approx 3K test runs @50, with 8 tons.

It's such a sacrilege to mention Tendulkar and Kohli in same sentence!

Look at the wickets they play on.
This is such a basic point it astonishes me that it is not addressed.
Wisden did a super piece on this — the average scores for both home and away sides in India have dramatically fallen now compared to the 90s.

Tendulkar, Dravid, VVS, etc played on much better wickets and scored more runs.
Now India play on much spicier wickets, win more often but their batsmen do not fare as well.

Frankly the Tendulkar and Gangulys would have kicked up more of a fuss about playing on such helpful wickets

Don't think this matters much when you want to win cricket matches for your country,

For India's sake though, lets hope he does something of note in the next innings as I said above, as much as we want he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

PS: Tendulkar was better than Kohli in last few years, you may check stats. Also, he was not hell bent on playing all formats like Kohli is. As for Dhoni, he was another one who leached off our cricket for 4 extra years.

I have provided statistical evidence, real figures. you have provided none.

You have hidden under metamorphical anecdotes. you use words like cancer like water.
Can you provide specific empirically quantifiable evidences of how exactly a 'Cancer' is he? What has he done EXACTLY to justify cancer?
Re: winning matches....i agree he is not firing but this is by his own high exalted standards. The fact also is he is not a misfiring dud.
I will give that he averages one missed/dropped catch a match, but he is still electric in covers/midwicket and still provides the odd moment of magic / wonderful runout / terrific fielding stop etc.

For the record, i hate his on field behaviour, the pathetic cringe send offs after the opposition batsmen has been dismissed etc.

If our top order was so pathetic as per you, as per @roomali roti [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION] @ a few others , what are we doing having a real crack, a real chance at making the second ever WTC finals? how is it that we are highly ranked on each format? is that some fluke?

once again i concede, we need VK to fire, big time and soon.
But either empiricially prove he is a cancer, a negative effect, a curse or hold your peace till the next match :)

Look at the wickets they play on.
This is such a basic point it astonishes me that it is not addressed.
Wisden did a super piece on this — the average scores for both home and away sides in India have dramatically fallen now compared to the 90s.

Tendulkar, Dravid, VVS, etc played on much better wickets and scored more runs.
Now India play on much spicier wickets, win more often but their batsmen do not fare as well.

Frankly the Tendulkar and Gangulys would have kicked up more of a fuss about playing on such helpful wickets
They played against far better bowlers than these prima donnas will ever play against.

lol at Tendulkar creating a fuss over playing on any sort of wicket. What does Tendulkar know about batting challenging wickets!

I have provided statistical evidence, real figures. you have provided none.
/QUOTE]
I've already provided the stats. In fact, you didn't provide any stats while saying Kohli is better than Tendulkar in their respective last few years in test cricket. For your benefit, providing them again,

Current Indian 'batsmen' don't do well on any sort of wicket, home or away.

We win more often than earlier because of these factors,

1) Our bowling especially the fast bowling is at its best ever even with Bumrah out for close to 9 months now;
2) Spin playing capabilities of all test playing nations has gone down the drain, mostly due to surfeit of T20s.

They played against far better bowlers than these prima donnas will ever play against.

lol at Tendulkar creating a fuss over playing on any sort of wicket. What does Tendulkar know about batting challenging wickets!

Is that why he fought tooth and nail against DRS….

Re: winning matches....i agree he is not firing but this is by his own high exalted standards. The fact also is he is not a misfiring dud.
So averaging less than 30 over a course of 3 years is not worthy of being called dudworthy!

And what are his 'exalted' standards? To average less than 30, with no tons in over 3 years?

You surely have very low expectations from our test number 4 batsman!

Is that why he fought tooth and nail against DRS….
Any proof of that or is it just hearsay? Last I heard, it was Dhoni who was dead against DRS for much of those years.

And what has being against DRS gotta do with ability to bat on challenging wickets?

This is a new one that Tendulkar would have created a fuss over batting on challenging wickets.

Have heard many wild conspiracy theories being thrown about Tendulkar but this one takes the cake!

Tendulkar and Kohli's batting average in their last four years of career.

Tendulkar,
In 2010 : 78.10
In 2011 : 47.25
In 2012 : 23.80
In 2013 : 34.50

Virat Kohli,
In 2020 : 19.33
In 2021 : 28.21
In 2022 : 26.50
In 2023 : 24.50 ( so far )

Source : Cricinfo.

Considering these stats, Virat Kohli should either retire or be dropped . He is performing worse than a veteran in his final years, no batsman can retain his place in the side while averaging 25 odd for 4 years with zero centuries.

Considering these stats, Virat Kohli should either retire or be dropped . He is performing worse than a veteran in his final years, no batsman can retain his place in the side while averaging 25 odd for 4 years with zero centuries.
Since its Kohli we are talking about, he can continue to play for another 3 years even if they are worse than his last 3 years.

This rank turner completely backfired. The ball was turning square right from the beginning. You need some luck to survive and score.

I hate it when pitches like this are rolled out. Becomes a bit like lottery. Even the big mouth Gavaskar who was blasting Aussie batsmen during the first 2 Tests cannot defend this pitch.

This rank turner completely backfired. The ball was turning square right from the beginning. You need some luck to survive and score.

I hate it when pitches like this are rolled out. Becomes a bit like lottery. Even the big mouth Gavaskar who was blasting Aussie batsmen during the first 2 Tests cannot defend this pitch.

Yes from day 3 onwards is fine but 1st session is too far. Makes it almost impossible to bat. Its good to watch but not really fair on fast bowlers and batsmen.

So foolish of India. They are the better side in Indian conditions.
By producing a poor pitch it turns it into much more of a lottery and even the average Aus spinners become highly effective.
This is the trick Pakistan totally missed when they played England — if you are the inferior side (which they clearly were with their bowling attack) then play on highly sporting wickets where even average bowlers have a chance against the English batting.

Aus should take this one. Just need to put some more runs. Indians are not going to get lucky all the time with lower order bailing them out.

Australia should not give up this advantage by throwing away all their remaining wickets tomorrow morning and getting out for 180 to 200 (Every possibility of this happening, considering the way Australia have played in this series) Then India would capitalize on this (more so if Pant was there in the team! He would have relished this opportunity! Even now somebody like Jadeja/Axar can contribute! OR probably Iyer has to rise to the occasion or the in-form Rohit a top order bat - maybe his 1st wicket partnership with Gill as the wicket eases up after 1st session) The match is definitely interesting (more than the 1st two tests!) It is all left to how Australia bats tomorrow and how India bats after that!

Aus should take this one. Just need to put some more runs. Indians are not going to get lucky all the time with lower order bailing them out.

150 run lead is enough to win by an innings for Australia. That will knock some sense into BCCI's pathetic decisions.

Australia should not give up this advantage by throwing away all their remaining wickets tomorrow morning and getting out for 180 to 200 (Every possibility of this happening, considering the way Australia have played in this series) Then India would capitalize on this (more so if Pant was there in the team! He would have relished this opportunity! Even now somebody like Jadeja/Axar can contribute! OR probably Iyer has to rise to the occasion or the in-form Rohit a top order bat - maybe his 1st wicket partnership with Gill as the wicket eases up after 1st session) The match is definitely interesting (more than the 1st two tests!) It is all left to how Australia bats tomorrow and how India bats after that!

100 runs lead here is huge, but you are right. Aus needs to put as many runs as possible to kill the game.

India still favourites.

Australia will get out for 180 odd and then and then will be chasing around 250 in last innings.

Third Test, Indore (day one of five)
India 109: Kohli 22; Kuhnemann 5-16, Lyon 3-35
Australia 156-4: Khawaja 60; Jadeja 4-63
Australia lead by 47 runs

Fourteen wickets fell on the first day as Australia took control of the third Test against India in Indore.

The hosts lost nine wickets to spin and were bowled out for 109 in 33.2 overs, with Matthew Kuhnemann claiming his first five-wicket Test haul.

In reply Australia reached 156-4 - a lead of 47 - with opener Usman Khawaja making 60 before becoming one of spinner Ravindra Jadeja's four wickets.

India lead the four-Test series 2-0 after big wins in Delhi and Nagpur.

They know a 3-1 series win or better will secure their place in June's World Test Championship final at The Oval, while Australia need to at least draw one of the games to seal their place.

India's total was their fourth-lowest at home in the past 15 years and contained four single-digit scores.

Nathan Lyon took three wickets for Australia, and Todd Murphy the other, before Mohammed Siraj was run out to end the innings just after lunch.

Australia lost Travis Head early, who was promoted to open after David Warner was ruled out of the match with concussion and a fractured elbow.

Khawaja and Marnus Labuschagne (31) put on 96 for the second wicket, before Jadeja removed both and Steve Smith, who is captaining the side with Pat Cummins in Australia with his ill mother, in the final session.

"I tried to score when I saw a scoring opportunity and respected the good ball when it came," Khawaja told BT Sport.

"It was nice to build a partnership with Marnus, the start was the toughest time to bat against the new ball because it was inconsistent. The partnership blunted them a bit, but it's not an easy wicket.

"It felt pretty tough the whole time I was out there and I don't expect it to get any better."

Meanwhile, India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has overtaken England seamer James Anderson to become the number-one ranked bowler in the world.

Anderson, 40, ended Cummins' four-year reign last week but drops to second despite taking three wickets in England's one-run defeat by New Zealand in Wellington on Tuesday.

Ashwin, who first topped the rankings in 2015, took six wickets in India's six-wicket win in the second Test, including the key wickets of Smith and Labuschagne in the same over in the first innings.

BBC

Shaw
Ishwaran
Jaiswal
Gill
Sarfaraz
Pant

I want to see this core batting from next WTC cycle

Australia is favourite but you can't ruled out india .india can score 300 in 2nd innings which gives Australia Target around 170. :kohli

If Aussies mess this up then frankly they shouldn't play in India anymore until they find a team which has spine & isn't timid & gutless. This is the worst possible batting line up in Indian test history, any self respecting team should be able to win atleast one against them.

Back