Australia (158/3) comfortably defeat Sri Lanka (157/6) by 7 wickets in Group 1 clash

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Australia will be looking to bounce back from their crushing loss to New Zealand when they take on Asia Cup Champions Sri Lanka in their second Super 12 match of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup in Perth on Tuesday.

Australia are not only the defending Men's T20 World Cup champions but also the hosts of this mega event, and so understandably were one of the favourites entering this tournament. Their confidence was also sky-high thanks to playing some exciting cricket in this format since the tournament's last edition. But the Aussies were brought down to earth by their Trans-Tasman rivals on the first weekend of the Super12 stage, as New Zealand completely outplayed them in their opening match.

It wasn’t just the result that was the issue but also the performance; the bowling lacked penetration and the batting unit collapsed under pressure. This was Australia's second loss on the trot following their defeat to India in the warm-up match.

The failure of the bowling unit to do well in these two matches is a bit concerning for the hosts, but Australia still need to bank on the experience of their bowlers. The likes of Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood and Adam Zampa are seasoned campaigners and are also extremely familiar with their home conditions, so can be expected to bounce back sooner rather than later.

The Australian batters, however, have to be a bit careful about the way they plan to tackle the Sri Lankan spinners on Tuesday. Wanindu Hasaranga and Maheesh Theekshana have emerged as one of the best spin-bowling pairs in the world of late and can cause quite a lot of damage. The spin duo was seen in good rhythm during the match against Ireland as they picked up four wickets between them, going at a mean combined economy rate of 5.50.

The Sri Lankan pacers have also supported their spinners well throughout this campaign. The batting unit did disappoint when they suffered a shocking loss to Namibia in their opening match of the tournament, but they regrouped soon and have delivered excellent performances since then to qualify for the Super12 stage.

The openers in particular have been in very good form. Pathum Nissanka scored a fifty against the UAE, while Kusal Mendis is also coming into this match on the back of consecutive half-centuries. Nissanka sat out of the last match with an injury, but Dhananjaya de Silva stepped up in his place and delivered with a good knock of 31. The middle order is yet to let fly, but there is no doubt over the quality of players like Charith Asalanka, Bhanuka Rajapaksa and Dasun Shanaka.

As things stand right now, Sri Lanka have gained a huge advantage in the group with a NRR of +2.467 after their massive win against Ireland. Australia, on the other hand, have a net run rate of -4.450 after their heavy loss against the Kiwis. So, there will be extra pressure on the hosts going into this contest as they not only need to win it but they need to do so by a big margin in an attempt to redress the balance. Another loss for Australia, combined with that poor NRR, could be terminal.

Predicted Playing XIs

Australia

Aaron Finch (c), David Warner, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Tim David, Matthew Wade (wk), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood

Sri Lanka

Kusal Mendis (wk), Dhananjaya de Silva, Charith Asalanka, Ashen Bandara, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Dasun Shanaka (c), Wanindu Hasaranga, Chamika Karunaratne, Maheesh Theekshana, Binura Fernando, Lahiru Kumara

Key Players

Glenn Maxwell: He has been stuck in a rut of late. Maxwell is averaging only 16.07 in T20Is this year and his strike-rate has also gone down to 116.58, which is quite low by his standards. He has to get back to the top of his game soon in order to help his team get through to the semi-finals.

Kusal Mendis: The top-order batter has been getting Sri Lanka off to steady starts in the last few games. Mendis set the tone for his team in their previous couple of matches, scoring 79 against Netherlands and 68* against Ireland. He will be looking to play another good knock in this crucial clash against Australia.

ICC

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Points table for Group 1:

bj6UVMj.png

If Sri Lanka win, they will put serious pressure on the Aussies, which will make all the there remaining games must wins.

If Sri Lanka win, they will put serious pressure on the Aussies, which will make all the there remaining games must wins.

I think NRR pretty much ensures that Aus will have to win all the games now.

Sri Lanka have generally done better than the expectations that is set to them but against Australia, they don't have the best record and conditions also favour Australia apart from the overall strength.

Australia should win this. However, Sri Lanka's matches vs England and New Zealand would be interesting to watch as they are in Sydney and SL are very much capable of beating them on that ground.

Australia must win this I think if they loose this then they will need to beat every other team convincingly.

Leg-spinner Adam Zampa looks set to miss out on Australia's must-win T20 World Cup clash against Sri Lanka after testing positive for Covid-19.

A team spokesperson confirmed Zampa recently returned a positive test but is only displaying minor symptoms.

Under current regulations set by the ICC and national authorities, Covid-positive players are allowed to take part, though it is believed Australia may instead opt for Ashton Agar's selection according to Australia's Herald Sun, who first reported the story.

The publication understands that despite Zampa's minor symptoms, there are concerns in the Australian camp about the 30-year-old joining his teammates in action.

It's not the first time Covid-19 has played a part in this year's event with Ireland's George Dockrell playing in his team's opening Super 12 encounter, coincidentally against Sri Lanka. Dockrell was forced to travel separately from his teammates, with team medical staff managing his movements and interactions. If Zampa was to be selected, he and Cricket Australia would need to operate under the same guidelines.

Zampa's absence would be a significant blow to the hosts' chance to go back-to-back winners of the T20 World Cup, with the side already on the ropes following their defeat to New Zealand on Sunday.

The leg-spinner was a crucial cog in Australia's successful 2021 campaign, second to Wanindu Hasaranga on the wickets tally in UAE and Oman.

Agar if selected would appear in front of his home domestic fans in Perth, and would match his one appearance at last year's event. He claimed figures of 1/15 from 2.4 overs in Australia's meeting with South Africa, before sliding out for an extra batter in the side.

Agar also played in Australia’s warm-up game against India, though has nursed a side strain for most of the Australian winter.

ICC

Lanka will be bundled out for less than 140. Easy win for Aussies.

The pace and bounce seems to be too much for Lankans to overcome at Perth.

165 should be the aim here for Sri Lanka.

Won't be easy to chase against Wanindu and Theekshana.

Around 15 runs short at this stage but they probably have preserved a wicket or two by being conservative.

SL - 80/2 (12.1 overs).

Australia are bowling out their spinners/part-timers early. Good move.

You think it's more or less?

Because I would say 165 is more than a defendable total on this wicket against any batting lineup.

Based on last game, I think 150 is par here.

Even England struggled to get going last game (against Afghans).

Last edited:
SL - 102/3 (14.3 overs).

They have wickets in hand. Should go all out after this over.

This is the problem with a knock like Nissanka's. If wickets fall quickly, you'll always be behind .

SL - 118/5 (17 overs).

Aussies should try to chase it down with 16-17 overs (to boost their NRR).

Was looking like around 170 score after 12-13 overs but will end up around 145 here probably

Lanka will be bundled out for less than 140. Easy win for Aussies.

The pace and bounce seems to be too much for Lankans to overcome at Perth.

That wont happen probably. 137/6 with 7 balls to go.

Anything can happen . Srilanka might surprise here and throw aussies out

Par score on this pitch would've been 170-175. SL will rue those lost 15 runs I think. Anyway , let's see :inti

Pakistan is lucky they are not playing SA here india would be worroed

Ha, Aussies always find a way to screw things up in T20 WCs. Last year was a fluke. And SL have a solid solid limited overs record in Aus which nobody seems to have noticed. Get Warner early, the game is SL's and Aus are out.

Even Australia-NZ game had little crowd.

People don't seem interested.

It was a sell out as per ticktracker, pretty full except for few seats that was because of rain.
This match looks only 70% full, it's a week day but still cold weather and back to back T20 WC's might have weakened the attendance.

Except for IND, Pak and Eng, I do not see good crowds for non home games. It's been long since we had a WC in WI/ SA , need to see whenever there is one next time in those places.

Australia - 6/0 (1 over; target: 158).

Fernando seems injured. Couldn't finish his over.

158 is what is needed by australia, something to bowl at indeed, but australia, should be able to manage this. I am hoping for a Sri Lankan Upset.

158 is what is needed by australia, something to bowl at indeed, but australia, should be able to manage this. I am hoping for a Sri Lankan Upset.

If SL win this, they have a good chance of going to semi-final. On the other hand, Aussies are probably out then.

Lol finch edging almost everything.. was lucky to survive so far..

This Lahiru dude is bringing on heat. Some serious pace. Not only pace. He has a lot shoulder into it. Makes him unplayabe when he delivers at high pace. Very impressive

Feel like I’m watching Babar and Rizwan in the Asia Cup final.

Having said that I’m sure the Aussies will accelerate after the power play.

Huge wicket

Too many dot balls accumulated before that Warner wicket

Ind game is 50-50
Nortje and Rabada will be tough to handle

Pak will win but need to see if they can win huge/ just scrape through

I was thinking India would be favoured 60-40, since there coming off a momentum win. Although South Africa looked good, there game got washed out, and were only able to secure 1 point, thus south africa will be under pressure. I think India should win that game.

For Pakistan I do think they should win both games, I do feel one of the matches can get tricky, and one Pakistan should get a bit of an easy win, I dont see a huge win by Pakistan, but a good win for both games. I think for this pitch Pakistan will have to take 4 man pace attack.

Huge wicket

Too many dot balls accumulated before that Warner wicket

Finch is the reason for that wicket. Dude is absolutely done at this level. Warner was going along fine but succumbed to the pressure .

They could use SMith. Very purpose of loading hitters was to keep hitting. That is not happening. Why not Smith then.

Back