Australia vs India | 2nd Test | Perth | Dec 14-18, 2018 | Day 2 Thread

Lol, where is that Pak guy who bashes Kohli for scoring impactless runs all the while and hailing whatever Pujara scores? Does he have guts to call Pujara's failure and hailing Kohli who was so immense today?

No wonder there is no one within 1000 miles to him as far as batting is concerned.

Hopefully, India will score 410-420 and Australia will definitely struggle in their second innings when the cracks on the pitch will widen up. India should not have any problems scoring less than 100 for victory.

Congrats to India, it should be a 9/8 wicket win!

I hope Kohli scores a daddy ton and also someday breaks Brain Lara’s record. Hope that day comes this year :lara

Hopefully, India will score 410-420 and Australia will definitely struggle in their second innings when the cracks on the pitch will widen up. India should not have any problems scoring less than 100 for victory.

Congrats to India, it should be a 9/8 wicket win!

You are way more optimistic, but if they bat without loosing a wicket in 1st session than congrats to India.

I think India are going to white wash the Aussies, cheering them on

Lol, where is that Pak guy who bashes Kohli for scoring impactless runs all the while and hailing whatever Pujara scores? Does he have guts to call Pujara's failure and hailing Kohli who was so immense today?

No wonder there is no one within 1000 miles to him as far as batting is concerned.
[MENTION=57422]sarfi[/MENTION]BabarHarris is that poster. Has nothing to say today.

You are way more optimistic, but if they bat without loosing a wicket in 1st session than congrats to India.

The way Kohli and Rahane have batted they should take a comfortable first innings lead of 50 plus. The pitch is not that quick as it was on the first day. So it's advantage India!

Things yet again looking bleak for Australia. Even in Perth they can not trouble the Indian batsmen.

Gone are the days Mitch Johnson used to terrorize batsmen in WACA. He was a nightmare on this very wicket.

I think India are going to white wash the Aussies, cheering them on

So, besides becoming the only Asian team to win a series in Australia, they will also become the first team to ever whitewash them in their own den. Congrats in advance! Kohli will definitely be remembered as on the best captains ever.

Things yet again looking bleak for Australia. Even in Perth they can not trouble the Indian batsmen.
Gone are the days Mitch Johnson used to terrorize batsmen in WACA. He was a nightmare on this very wicket.

And wickets at MCG and SCG will be slower and favour the Indians. 4-0 is on the cards!

New Ball is going to be very important. If Kohli and Ranahe can navigate. Thru that 20 overs of the new ball without losing their wicket, India will be in a strong position. Otherwise it’s even Stevens.

Ishant Sharma heaped praise on the Indian batting trio of Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane, who batted out most parts of day two in Perth to put the team in a strong position.

Replying to Australia's 326 in the first innings, a 74-run partnership between Pujara (24) and Kohli (82*) rescued India from 8/2 and then an unbeaten 90-run stand between the Indian captain and Rahane (51*) took them to a position of strength at 172/3 at stumps on day two.

Kohli's knock was the highlight of the day as not only did he look out for scoring opportunities right from the moment he arrived at the crease, he also ensured that India made the most of the final session as tired Australian bowlers returned for their third and fourth spells and were taken for runs.

Ishant Sharma returned his best Test figures against Australia of 4/41 Ishant Sharma returned his best Test figures against Australia of 4/41
Sharma, who finished off the Australian innings with wickets off successive balls and returned his best Test figures against Australia of 4/41, was happy with the team's performance, especially Kohli's. "We feel pretty confident when he's batting at the crease," Sharma said of Kohli.

"We felt good and finished the day in a strong position. They (Kohli and Rahane) both will continue [tomorrow]. Right now, I can say that the game is equally [poised]. Tomorrow, hopefully we'll win the first session and then turn the game in our favour."

India were 70/2 at tea with Pujara and Kohli standing ground but Mitchell Starc brought Australia back in the game by dismissing Pujara shortly after the break. It was then that Rahane arrived at the crease and flayed Australia's plans of bowling short at the Indians with his aggressive approach.

He took on the short-pitched stuff from Cummins and Starc and hit each of them for boundaries. Kohli followed his lead and adopted equally aggressive methods as the duo took India past 100 and 150 in the final session.

"The quick 20-30 runs Ajinkya got us was crucial," Sharma explained. "If we had been defensive at that stage, we would have allowed them to stick to their plans.

"The counter-attack was very good for Jinx and the team. Consequently, they had to change their plans and switch to something else."

Much was made before the game about the greenish look that the pitch at the Perth Stadium bore but the wicket played different colours on different days and the way Kohli and Rahane thwarted a strong pace attack led to beliefs that the pitch wasn't conducive to pace bowling.

On these kinds of pitches, if you're consistent enough, then you have a good chance to pick wickets
But Sharma denied any such speculations. "When we were batting, it didn't happen much," he said of the surface. " [But] when we were bowling, yes, [we realised] if you hit the length, then there was something in the wicket.

"You can't say there is nothing in the wicket. Even yesterday, as a bowling group we spoke about [how] we gave away a few runs. I think [on] these kind of pitches, if you're consistent enough, then you have a good chance [to pick wickets]."

Amidst the Kohli-Rahane show in the final session, Pujara's gritty 103-ball knock was left somewhat forgotten even as the India No.3 absorbed the pressure put on by Australia after they had reduced India to 8/2 and looked to run through the line-up.

Sharma lauded his teammate for tiring the bowlers out. "When Pujara defends, the ball doesn't go past the square," he laughed. "He is someone you need in your team because I have played against him and I know how difficult it is to bowl to Pujara.

"When he plays, he makes the bowlers really tired because he takes the toll from the bowlers. When they were batting, we knew that if he stays at the wicket, he can do wonders for the team."

And while India are well-placed at the end of the second day, they still trail Australia by 154 runs and a few early wickets early on the third day could mean that India's long tail, which has little batting expertise could be exposed soon, especially in the absence of a bowling all-rounder like Ravichandran Ashwin.

We knew that if Pujara stays at the wicket, he can do wonders for the team
Sharma realised the need for the tail to fire but maintained that the lower-order batsman of the home side always hold some advantage. "Yes, abroad, we are not scoring as much as the other teams are doing," Sharma admitted.

"As you can see, every home team is scoring runs. Even if Australians come to India, they [tailenders] won't score that much. So it's all about the home team and we are not used to that kind of bounce and pace.

"Yes, we are working on our batting skills as well. Slowly, maybe not today, but tomorrow, some day our bowlers may score a 50."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/942814

Smith is much better than Kohli in tests. Don't go ahead of yourself.

150 runs are lots of runs. Aus need to pick 3 more wickets and the last 4 are not going to score more than 20 runs. Good fightback from India after losing 2 quick wickets, but even now they are not ahead in this game due to batting last.

Australia should drop Khawaja and take a gamble with Maxwell in the last two test. And just want to know has George Bailey retired from first class cricket?

150 runs are lots of runs. Aus need to pick 3 more wickets and the last 4 are not going to score more than 20 runs. Good fightback from India after losing 2 quick wickets, but even now they are not ahead in this game due to batting last.
Agree with this. Unless India takes some substantial lead, Australia are favourites to square the series.

Agree with this. Unless India takes some substantial lead, Australia are favourites to square the series.

50 runs lead by India will make it even because India has to bat last. That's 200 more runs.

100+ lead will give India advantage.

That's Correct. India have some catching up to do.

50 runs lead by India will make it even because India has to bat last. That's 200 more runs.

100+ lead will give India advantage.

gotta agree with you, we need another 100 run partnership from this pair to be in a relatively comfortable position

If india can bat all day tomorrow then i can see heavy defeat for Aussies coming up.

If india can bat all day tomorrow then i can see heavy defeat for Aussies coming up.

lol there is no way we are going to bat all day tomorrow. At the most might bat upto Tea if Kohli and Rahane can grind out the 1st session.

Indians don't have batting left after this pair to bat whole day. One is debuting and another is good for 30 balls. Then there are 4 certified tail who can't last too long.

Even from this position, Aus can take a lead of 70-80 if they can get rid of Kohli and Rahane in the next 20-30 runs.

Indians don't have batting left after this pair to bat whole day. One is debuting and another is good for 30 balls. Then there are 4 certified tail who can't last too long.

Even from this position, Aus can take a lead of 70-80 if they can get rid of Kohli and Rahane in the next 20-30 runs.

got to say it again , you are a great optimist .

My money is on Aus to win here. Let's see if I am proven right.

It's just batting last that has such a huge impact on a team. More than the pitch, the mental fortitude required to chase down a decent total in the 4th innings is a lot. Saying that based on today's evidence I would not really rule India out yet. 70-30 still in Australia's favour.

It's just batting last that has such a huge impact on a team. More than the pitch, the mental fortitude required to chase down a decent total in the 4th innings is a lot. Saying that based on today's evidence I would not really rule India out yet. 70-30 still in Australia's favour.

I am not ruling out India here. KOhli ca go big and make it for India, but it's a long way from here. 200 runs for India from here will just make it even.

Losing toss was huge for India. Yah, batting last is mostly mental thing. If India had some one like VVS left t bat, then it would have been great.

Don’t be overly optimistic. It looks very much even to me right now. This game can head in any direction from here. India has come back strongly but there’s still a mountain to climb. Like I said yesterday, if there’s a team that can bat its way towards a win from such a position, it’s India. But that argument is based on potential. We saw what our world class opener did today. Kohli needs to bat till the end.

I am not ruling out India here. KOhli ca go big and make it for India, but it's a long way from here. 200 runs for India from here will just make it even.

Losing toss was huge for India. Yah, batting last is mostly mental thing. If India had some one like VVS left t bat, then it would have been great.

The thing that gives me hope is that if Kohli is still there while wickets are falling he knows how to rally the tail. He did it in England and in South Africa (in the second test) and against Lanka last year. It simply cannot be expressed how important it is for Aus to get his wicket early on.
I will go on to say this that if Australia get kohli in first hour tomorrow they will win the test. If not anyone's game.

The thing that gives me hope is that if Kohli is still there while wickets are falling he knows how to rally the tail. He did it in England and in South Africa (in the second test) and against Lanka last year. It simply cannot be expressed how important it is for Aus to get his wicket early on.
I will go on to say this that if Australia get kohli in first hour tomorrow they will win the test. If not anyone's game.

Kohli can score 150 here and Aus may still be ahead. Anyway, fascinating day 3 is coming here. Both
tests have been fantastic so far.

The game is beautifully poised here.

IND is only 3 down, but it has taken lot more overs and the 2nd ball is 10 overs away. To be a head, IND has to take some lead here, at least 25, considering that chasing on Day 4-5 will be tough here, that too with couple of walking wickets at top. Also, this is the worst tail from IND in my memory - even 302-6 might not end up with a lead:(

But, have to praise Rahne here more than Kohli.

The game is beautifully poised here.

IND is only 3 down, but it has taken lot more overs and the 2nd ball is 10 overs away. To be a head, IND has to take some lead here, at least 25, considering that chasing on Day 4-5 will be tough here, that too with couple of walking wickets at top. Also, this is the worst tail from IND in my memory - even 302-6 might not end up with a lead:(

But, have to praise Rahne here more than Kohli.

Yes. Rahane paced his innings perfectly today. When he came in India had got into a bit of a rut with kohli being tied down by Cummins and Lyon. He counter-attacked which not only got the score moving but also got kohli moving a bit who had slightly gone into a shell. Hope both of them get daddy hundreds tomorrow!

The game is 50/50 right now. India need to get a lead of 100 or over to be in control of this game. It looks like the pitch will get difficult to bat on the longer the game goes on. Can’t trust this Australian batting line up to get a big score in the 3rd innings .

Should be a fascinating day of cricket.

Kohli going into shell was direct consequence of the top 2 wickets and 4 dud batsmen in the backend. 2 inexperienced test players bridging middle and lower order.

The game is 50/50 right now. India need to get a lead of 100 or over to be in control of this game. It looks like the pitch will get difficult to bat on the longer the game goes on. Can’t trust this Australian batting line up to get a big score in the 3rd innings .

Should be a fascinating day of cricket.

I think it will be best to bat on the last day. Drop-in pitches in NZ behaved that way. Those who batted had the best batting conditions. Even at the Adelaide oval batting was very easier on day 5. Same in sheffield shield game there. But India has to account for pressure factor 6 useless batsmen. So it is like walking on a tight rope. One slip up they could go from dreaming of winning to getting obliterated. Australia has more cushion to withstand any shocks. India doesn't have.

So, besides becoming the only Asian team to win a series in Australia, they will also become the first team to ever whitewash them in their own den. Congrats in advance! Kohli will definitely be remembered as on the best captains ever.

No congrats to me, I don't support India but it will be great to see an asian team bully the cowardly aussies [MENTION=137142]JaDed[/MENTION]

Match is evenly poised, first session tomorrow will be vital for both teams.If india doesn't loose a wkt till lunch then i think india will have a great chance to win the match.

Kohli and Rohit are the key for India. If they get a 50 run lead it would be game on.

Can we talk about how well Rahane played? Kohli always plays well and watching him bat is something else. But Rahane, I think he out shined Kohli yesterday. It's so rare to see a batsman just take on Australia's bowling attack with complete confidence and authority and Rahane did just that. The guy was in his element and the types of shots he played must have dented the Australian bowlers' confidence. Maybe I'm over-selling his innings but I really enjoyed it and even if he gets out tomorrow, the knock will give him a lot of confidence for the rest of the series.

Back