Beyond the Boundary: The Sachin Special at Centurion

Shayan

ODI Debutant
Runs
It’s over. The man whose name has been synonymous with batting for my entire life has played his last ever innings for his country and bowed out of this great game.

My earliest memory of Sachin Tendulkar is of my elder brother saying “Tendulkar can probably hit any ball to the boundary for four, there’s no-one else quite like him.” I grew up with this thought, never seeing as much of the man as I would have liked due to the lack of coverage of international cricket in the UK at the time. Instead, I would hear snippets of what he had done or follow his scores via Ceefax – even the internet was a bit of a luxury in the late 90s! The Chennai Test came and went, I heard about the magnificent 136 that Sachin had made in a losing cause, but that was overshadowed in my mind by the famous Pakistan win. It wasn’t until the 1999 World Cup, a lot of which was shown on free-to-air TV in England, that I started to see a bit more of him. However at the age of 11, I was probably still too young to fully appreciate what he was capable of. Fast forward four years to the 2003 World Cup, a time when cricket was at the forefront of my mind. A Sky Sports subscription was in place at home specifically for the tournament, and an India-Pakistan contest was penciled in for Saturday 1st March.

Pakistan had started badly in the tournament having been defeated by Australia and England, while India were in a slightly better position following their 82 run win over England a few days earlier. The build-up to the India-Pakistan contest had started long before the day – a close Indian friend and I had been exchanging jibes for months, a microcosm of what was no doubt happening all over the world and the tension leading up to the Centurion contest was unbearable. Tendulkar himself later stated he had been thinking about the game over a year in advance. He didn’t sleep for 12 nights leading up to the match as everyone around him kept reminding him about the 1st of March.

The roar of the crowd coming through my TV set on that Saturday morning was astounding considering the match was being played on neutral soil – the emotion, the noise, the colour and flag waving remains vivid in my memory and I recall feeling a sense of relief when Waqar Younis chose to bat first, thus ruling out the possibility of a nerve-jangling run chase. A total of 273-7 felt like a good score with a bowling attack consisting of Waqar, Wasim and Shoaib. Two overs into the Indian run chase, I knew it wasn’t enough.

Wasim Akram opened the bowling and on his 3rd ball he gave Tendulkar a bit of width outside off stump – cue a back foot punch through point to the boundary. It was a sign of things to come. Shoaib Akhtar, who had made a few aggressive remarks to the press about what he might do in this game, came charging in and the final three balls of that second over will be ingrained in my memory forever. First, Tendulkar reached out to a very short wide 94mph delivery and cut it over the 3rd man boundary for six – a shot that has become almost a symbol of the incredible innings Tendulkar played that day.

93278.2.jpg

The next ball was thankfully fuller and straighter but it was still cannon fodder for Tendulkar, a trademark flick of the wrists resulting in that familiar MRF bat face pointing straight back at the bowler; in the blink of an eye the ball hit the ropes at square leg and popped over the advertising hoardings. If I thought those two shots were special, the final ball of that over pretty much crushed whatever hopes I might have had of a Pakistan win. 96mph from Shoaib, a good length on off stump – Tendulkar shuffled across to get behind the line and with almost no back lift, blocked the ball past mid-on for four. The raucous noise, the flags, the horns, a score of 27-0 after two overs and the world’s greatest batsman displaying the definition of being “in the zone” – I was mesmerised. We all were.

sachin2003pakistan.jpg

It didn’t seem to stop despite wickets falling at the other end and a dropped catch. Another flick through square leg off Waqar before one more absolutely unforgettable pearler. Wasim bowled a decent ball just outside off, Tendulkar rocked back and played a textbook cover drive, holding the pose for the cameras – the look on Wasim’s face said it all. Waqar wasn’t spared either, width from him resulted in a ferocious slash through the covers and Tendulkar also found the gaps off the spinners with ease. A corker from Shoaib ended the innings on 98 but it was all over by then as far as I was concerned and some sensible batting from the rest saw India home and effectively knocked Pakistan out of the tournament.

1269016_AMN.jpg

At the end of the match I had a strange and unusual feeling. The manner of the defeats against Australia and England were genuinely painful but this loss to India felt different. Instead of being angry and disappointed, I actually felt privileged to have witnessed those 75 balls that Sachin faced – he was truly in a league of his own and had completely dismantled some of my cricketing idols. Now many I’m sure will say that his innings against Australia in Sharjah or his 200* eclipsed the Centurion knock, and of course there are lots of differing opinions out there regarding Sachin’s best innings. That’s the joy of the man, the length of his career has meant that a number of different generations have been touched by his magnificence at various points. We will all have our views but we can certainly agree that there have been, and will be, very few others like him and we should feel honoured that we’ve been around to follow the career of one of the greatest players in the history of the sport.

Aside from his batting, I’ve always admired the way Sachin has carried himself off the field considering the adoration he gets from one billion of his fellow countrymen. There is no real blemish on his career which is in itself remarkable as he’s been playing since 1989! There has not been a hint of arrogance or cockiness about him – even his most aggressive strokes often appear to be caressed over the boundary rope and his feet have remained firmly on the ground despite his superstar status. The speech he gave in Mumbai after his final match was a perfect example of humility and gratitude; something all aspiring cricketers should watch and learn from. Sachin Tendulkar is a role model not just for cricketers, but for us mere mortals as well!

Thank you for all the memories and I hope I speak for all Pakistani fans when I wish you all the best in your well deserved retirement.

Last edited:
One of the best innings I have ever seen played against Pakistan in a pressure situation - true genius at work. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar.

Great player! Sad to see him retire, but it had to happen one day.

Thanks for all the memories Sachin :)

Me and dad while watching the match despite our hyper-nationalism could only look in awe as Sehwag and Tendulkar smashed our bowling attack effortlessly. It was a batting display like none other.

Very nice article Shayan.. Thank You : )

By the way, there were tons of no balls delivered that day which were not given. The first four itself was off a no ball which wasnt given.
I noticed 3 from Wasim and David shepherd was the ump on his bowling end.

Robin Jackman later was eulogizing Shepherd for his decision to go for 3rd ump's cross checking for Md Kaif's slide being good enough or not, and i couldnt really help but have a smirk due to the contrast.
But the noises Jackman uttered that day cuz of the batsmanship by ST... :p

The cover drives came in thick and fast. All the fast bowlers were driven esp through the covers by Tendulkar that day. Brilliant inns. Thank you Sachin Tendulkar. :)

Last edited:
I YouTube this innings last night. Amazing innings.

Must admit I have serious mixed feelings about this innings. I still remember the pain of losing that match, thinking if only Abdul razzaq caught that catch.

It was such an amazing innings, the shots were just wow. It's a day I'll never forget.

Brilliant write up.

Feels like just yesterday he played that magnificent innings.

It was a big total too, pressure innings against a quality attack.

:14:
Well written shayan. I wish I could write as well as you can.

Nice read ! He's been among the the top 2 leading run scorers for 3 different world cups which is remarkable.
RIP batting.

A magnificent piece of writing for a truly inspirational and tremendous batsman.

Although unfortunately I was never able to watch any of Sachin Tendulkar's centuries live or the match/innings which is being discussed in this aforementioned thread, I can actually comprehend how euphoric and captivating this match must have been and how painful it is bound to have been for Pakistan fans watching - the dominating way in which Sachin Tendulkar played during such a memorable match is conveyed across through the YouTube highlights of this match, even after all of these years.

Probably the greatest innings I have seen against us.

He was on another level.

Two shots of his in this match have remained etched in my memory ever since and they came in the same over.
The Akhtar over
1st is that upper square cut 6 over third man which became famous instantly and the second has to be 2 balls later when he played that gorgeous gorgeous on drive for 4,it was merely a push by him and i thought mid-on would cut it off,but to my utter suprise it just sped past him for 4.
Just brilliant!Absolute genius at work!

The on drive of Akhtar's last ball of that over was just god like.
Damn i'll miss him :(

Thats how you retire ! Like a bawsss !

There is and will always be only one SRT !

A symbolic game really, after which both the teams went in opposite directions. Upwards for India with new found stars in Sehwag, Yuvraj and Zaheer. Downwards for Pakistan with the retirement of Anwar, Wasim and Waqar. Sometimes i wonder how things would have panned out had certain crucial encounters wouldn't have been won. The centurion match, the T20 final, the Mohali semi final etc.

Back to Sachin, such a shame his back problem arrived just after he got off to a breathtaking start. I wont ever forget how people went berserk went he that six off Shoaib. Just a six, and not even a very good looking one but the sheer importance of it, the time of arrival would put it down as one of the most significant hits on a cricketing field.

Nice tribute Shayan.

A symbolic game really, after which both the teams went in opposite directions. Upwards for India with new found stars in Sehwag, Yuvraj and Zaheer. Downwards for Pakistan with the retirement of Anwar, Wasim and Waqar. Sometimes i wonder how things would have panned out had certain crucial encounters wouldn't have been won. The centurion match, the T20 final, the Mohali semi

Not quite as bad as you're making out. Pakistan found Asif and Amir, two bowlers who would have been all-time greats, something only South Africa and probably England can claim, and Shehwag, Yuvraj and Zaheer certainly are not. Ajmal has been intoduced too.

They won the 2013 World T20 after the Sri Lanka attacks, whitewashed world no1 side England, a team that went on to defeat India at home.

I don't look at the world with green-tinted spectacles but I seriously don't think those losses have significantly impacted either way and the teams certainly haven't gone in "opposite directions".

Anyway, this thread isn't for that kind of dicsussion.

Lets celebrate the ending of a magnificent career, of a gentleman.

Last edited:
Damn, what a screw up that was from Razzaq. Tendulkar was in the form of his life and to drop him then you just knew that was the game there and then. Incredible innings. It was probably the first time I saw Tendulkar in full flow and boy was it epic...albeit painful in the end. :(

A very nice tribute Shayan. It's a very well written post.

If I remember correctly then he sees this as his best inning or one of the best.

Not quite as bad as you're making out. Pakistan found Asif and Amir, two bowlers who would have been all-time greats, something only South Africa and probably England can claim, and Shehwag, Yuvraj and Zaheer certainly are not. Ajmal has been intoduced too.

They won the 2013 World T20 after the Sri Lanka attacks, whitewashed world no1 side England, a team that went on to defeat India at home.

I don't look at the world with green-tinted spectacles but I seriously don't think those losses have significantly impacted either way and the teams certainly haven't gone in "opposite directions".

Anyway, this thread isn't for that kind of dicsussion.

Lets celebrate the ending of a magnificent career, of a gentleman.

I'd respect that and won't argue any further though the Asif-Amir being future ATGs part did make me chuckle. :23:

They used to say about miandad as well, that he could potentially hit every ball to the boundary, but, it's just exaggeration and nothing else. It's just to take credit from the bowlers, Sachin and miandad were humans and just like any human you get afraid, u get confused, u get irritated and u mess up, there are quality bowlers who also are playing, so it's just not right to say that they were perfect, there is nonsuch thing as perfect. If they were then why did they get out when they were suppose to hit fours on every ball

Last edited by a moderator:
They used to say about miandad as well, that he could potentially hit every ball to the boundary, but, it's just exaggeration and nothing else. It's just to take credit from the bowlers, Sachin and miandad were humans and just like any human you get afraid, u get confused, u get irritated and u mess up, there are quality bowlers who also are playing, so it's just not right to say that they were perfect, there is nonsuch thing as perfect. If they were then why did they get out when they were suppose to hit fours on every ball

Slightly confused by this post. Of course he can't actually hit every ball for 4 and no-one's saying he should! As you say it's an exaggeration. I mentioned it in the article as it's just an anecdote of one of my early memories of Tendulkar, wasn't meant to be taken literally! :)

Me and dad while watching the match despite our hyper-nationalism could only look in awe as Sehwag and Tendulkar smashed our bowling attack effortlessly. It was a batting display like none other.

Anwar and Amir had done that to other teams, you can ask the fans of this teams who were on the receiving end. It happens, the problem is a few inns like that are remembered but, bowlers who mess you up lots of times are usually forgotten because they have one ball for the memory

Anwar and Amir had done that to other teams, you can ask the fans of this teams who were on the receiving end. It happens, the problem is a few inns like that are remembered but, bowlers who mess you up lots of times are usually forgotten because they have one ball for the memory

This argument falls down a bit in this case though seeing as the bowlers were Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib. Half the battle in this particular match was handling the immense pressure and for Tendulkar to perform the way he did in the circumstances was incredibly impressive.

That 2003 innings was his best innings ever. Destroyed Akhtar and demoralized the opposition

Those three shots of shoaib will be forever etched in the memory banks. I think sachin later admitted that he didnt mean to hit the last one for four and went to defend it. Humbleness personified. The back foot drive of wasim was just ohhhhhhhhhh exactly how Robin Jackman described it.

A symbolic game really, after which both the teams went in opposite directions. Upwards for India with new found stars in Sehwag, Yuvraj and Zaheer. Downwards for Pakistan with the retirement of Anwar, Wasim and Waqar. Sometimes i wonder how things would have panned out had certain crucial encounters wouldn't have been won. The centurion match, the T20 final, the Mohali semi final etc.

Back to Sachin, such a shame his back problem arrived just after he got off to a breathtaking start. I wont ever forget how people went berserk went he that six off Shoaib. Just a six, and not even a very good looking one but the sheer importance of it, the time of arrival would put it down as one of the most significant hits on a cricketing field.

Nice tribute Shayan.

Well Miandad's six was important for Pakistan and you can see how after that Pak dominated India in cricket

Very well written, Shayan!

Thank you very much for bringing back those wonderful memories :)

Hopefully in 5 years time, we'll be seeing write ups about the Kohli epic in 2015WC :kohli

Great write up for a great player. And also an amazing human being. I cannot emphasize this enough

Brilliantly written tribute for one India's all time great sports person (and possibly one of the best batsmen of the last 2 decades).

Enjoyed reading it! :)

Excellent, excellent write-up Shayan bhai:14:! I liked the emphasis on the speed/pace of those three balls that Shoaib Akhtar bowled in that famous over. I can easily say that I will forever remember that as the most awesome, jaw-dropping stroke-play of all time. That innings won my admiration forever and made me a fan of the guy for my lifetime!

Last edited:
Well Miandad's six was important for Pakistan and you can see how after that Pak dominated India in cricket

Exactly. Same thing happened there when we went in opposite directions, that time Pakistan upwards and we downwards.

Unfortunatly I was not around to witness such an epic innings, but I must have watched this innings around 15+ times on youtube and watching Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib treated like that was just crazy. But watching Tendulkar batting like that I just hoped he carried on batting fully well knowing he gets out on 98.

By the way, does anybody have any suitable extended highlights of the match (I've seen it a substantial amount of times but I want to watch it again - the excellent quality video which was available upon YouTube has now been removed)?

^ That's the exact link I'm speaking about - it is now not available to watch in the UK. They were some extremely good quality highlights.

Thanks anyway.

Remarkable innings and wonderful tribute! Heard from a friend who was in the stadium that after all the initial banter, Indians and Pakistanis spectators alike gave a standing ovation when Sachin got out.

Great write up - pleasing to know such a point of view from across the border :). You are a great writer Shayan..keep up the good work!

On what transpired that day Sachin's response to Shoaib was doubly pleasing considering the big talking that Shoaib had done about how we would take care of Sachin...1-0-18-0 and we all knew who was taken care off (and taken off the attack)...

Anyway don't want to hijack such a beautiful piece of work.. leaving this for another day.

Excellent write up - I saw that game on TV and I can tell you that the each one of the sentences aboves made me relive those moments!

Brilliantly written!

I still remember that evening vividly. I don't think I've ever been more depressed at a Pakistan's loss. Sachin was nothing less than a maestro throughout the innings.

As much as it was painful reliving that game in your piece, you are spot on in your assessment. There will be his critics but he has been the savior for India and they love him and that's all that matters. I doubt we will ever see a cricketer as loved by his nation as Sachin! That speaks for his skills as well as his demeanor.

There is no doubt that under that pressure: it was an innings of a lifetime. There is also no doubt that for a vaunted attack like ours, the bowling was very poor. If you are going to bowl short, it has to be in the rib cage and not wide, which is exactly what our bowlers did. The captaincy from Waqar like most Pakistani Captaincy for the last 20 yrs ,was wooden and leaving out Saqi for Afridi also didn`t help.

Unfortunatly I was not around to witness such an epic innings, but I must have watched this innings around 15+ times on youtube and watching Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib treated like that was just crazy. But watching Tendulkar batting like that I just hoped he carried on batting fully well knowing he gets out on 98.

Tendulkar was at his peak and Ws were at the exit door of their career, so not surprising. Shoaib was the one who should have dominated him. The greatness of Akram can be measured from the fact that he had gotten Tendulkar even in that form, but, Razzaq spilled it

Great write up. Great innings. Great player.

Thank You Sachin!

Great write up Shayan!! Thanks for this.. Also beautiful tribute/comments from fellow Pakistanis in this thread.. Thanks PP!!

A very good innings which took the game away from Pakistan but it's hilarious to read some people believe it's the best innings of all time. lol

It was a beautiful batting track, no swing or seam with a very fast outfield. Pakistan did poorly to only to reach 270, India were always favourites chasing this total against a finished W&W pair. It wasn't even the best innings in the tournament, Andrew Symonds 140+ when Australia were 80-4 was by far a better innings in the tournament.

A 'finished' Waqar did a lot better than the one at peak who got clobbered by a lesser mortal in Ajay Jadeja. :23:

A 'finished' Waqar did a lot better than the one at peak who got clobbered by a lesser mortal in Ajay Jadeja. :23:

Every dog has it's day. Indians will remember that day, the rest of us will remember his average of 28 against Pakistan.

Back to 2003, the bowlers were all over the place, a pitch map would have shown dots all over the pitch, any decent batsmen would have put that rubbish away. Its the reason why W&W were forced to quit.

Every dog has it's day. Indians will remember that day, the rest of us will remember his average of 28 against Pakistan.

Agreed, like Inzy had his in the 92 semi and averaged 25 in the rest of the world cup matches ever since. :23:

Back to 2003, the bowlers were all over the place, a pitch map would have shown dots all over the pitch, any decent batsmen would have put that rubbish away. Its the reason why W&W were forced to quit.

Amazing, thats what you call putting bowlers under pressure. They broke apart mentally like they usually do against our great, average and poor batsmen in world cups.

Agreed, like Inzy had his in the 92 semi and averaged 25 in the rest of the world cup matches ever since. :23:

The difference being Inzy continued to perform in all formats but Jadeja became a bookies mate as well as a crap batsmen. :danish

Amazing, thats what you call putting bowlers under pressure. They broke apart mentally like they usually do against our great, average and poor batsmen in world cups.

Yes a lot of pressure when chasing a below par total on a flat track against pacers who will retire after the match. When up against a real outfit like Australia your great bottled it. In any sport you're only as good as the opposition.

The difference being Inzy continued to perform in all formats but Jadeja became a bookies mate as well as a crap batsmen. :danish

Agreed again, despite being a failure in ODI world cups, Inzy was a far better player overall compared to Jadeja. His test record speaks for himself. :19:

Yes a lot of pressure when chasing a below par total on a flat track against pacers who will retire after the match. When up against a real outfit like Australia your great bottled it. In any sport you're only as good as the opposition.

Hindsight bias. :)

I think I jinxed this thread... KingKhanWC and Freelance_cricketerer just ruined this thread... F_C, you don't have to justify anything, it would only make this thread worse with counter-arguements...

Why do people even bother responding to KingKhanWC? He has never posted anything remotely free of bias. His anti-India stance is well known, best to ignore him. Not sure why FC took the bait. This is a tribute thread for God's sake.

On topic, probably one of Tendulkar's best ODI innings ever. More than the match situation, the runs, the pressure, the opponents, the occasion etc etc etc it was HOW he scored those runs that stands out. I have seen very few innings from any batsman that pleasing to the eye. Virtually every shot in that innings screamed perfection.

Last edited:
Awesome article, well done shayan!!!

I watched the game with my brother and 3 Indian friends. It was no holds barred cheering.

Excellent innings, that on drive gives me goosebumps.

What an epic game and an epic innings still hurts to this day. Much like chennai 99 or Miandad 86 for the Indians. That's the kind of impact this game had for us.

Why was razzaq basically holding Wasim's hand :91: was too eager and walked in too far. Had he taken that catch I'm sure Pakistan would have won.

That defence/push for four by tendulkar off shoaib's last ball in his second over was a serious shot. The clip for four from off stump the ball before wasn't bad either.

In appreciation of the Master

That uppercut against Shoaib was the moment when the tide turned. When Tendulkar the batsman destroyed the demons that afflicted India in games against Pakistan. With that uppercut, he also knocked out Pakistan for a decade (or more) and made me appreciate the man for the master that he was.

When I saw that shot live, I hated him from the pit of my stomach. To the extent that only upon his retirement did I see highlights of that match and that uppercut again. Of course, I knew I had to see it again as an objective observer, to truly appreciate it, in the context that it was hit.

More broadly, I hated that Tendulkar was Indian and not Pakistani. If he were Australian or West Indian I could have appreciated his genius more objectively, and felt more pleasure watching him bat, than experience the pain of seeing how good he was.

When Brian Lara played, I would satisfy myself by saying that Tendulkar is good, but Lara is better. In my heart of hearts, I knew that to be a lie. Lara himself notes the greatness of Tendulkar. In my mind, at his best, Inzamam and Ponting were more clutch, but again, I knew I was lying to myself. The test was that if I were to choose somebody to bat for my life, it would be Tendulkar.

In an effort to not get completely captivated by the magical batting of Tendulkar, I always referred to him by his surname. I thought that if I called him Sachin, I would somehow be giving in and acknowledging that he, not Inzamam, nor Lara nor Kallis was my favourite batsman.

I never could understand the feeling that I got when Sachin unfurled the flick or the cover drive against Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib or Saqlain. It was mostly a feeling of pain, but always with a tinge of appreciation. I loved it when he top edged Saqlain in Chennai, but hated that he was the man getting out.

It was a feeling that I can only now, after he has retired, truly acknowledge. I am a fan of Sachin Tendulkar. Always have been and always will be. The sort of fan that gushes when talking about him. Simply, Sachin made the the sport I love better.

He is the best batsman that I have ever seen and likely will ever see. In fact I have reconciled to the idea that his being Indian makes me like India more (at the same time wishing that Sachin was ours, not theirs)

So there it is. My coming out of the closet as a Sachin fan. Cricket will not be the same without him.

Should have retired at least 5 years ago, sad, because he was as good as kallis in his prime

This article should be the post of the year, or article of the year on PP. Fantastic job

Should have retired at least 5 years ago, sad, because he was as good as kallis in his prime

We wouldn't have won the world cup without his contribution in the semis and quarters. We wouldnt have been ranked no 1 and tied test series in SA without his contribution in 2010

5 years ago? Here are his Test averages from the last 5 years -

2009 - 67.62

2010 - 78.10

2011 - 47.25

2012 - 23.80

2013 - 34.50

So what were you saying again?

Aap jaiso ki sunta, toh 23 saal pehle hi retire hona padhta.

We wouldn't have won the world cup without his contribution in the semis and quarters. We wouldnt have been ranked no 1 and tied test series in SA without his contribution in 2010

5 years ago? Here are his Test averages from the last 5 years -

2009 - 67.62

2010 - 78.10

2011 - 47.25

2012 - 23.80

2013 - 34.50

So what were you saying again?

He wasn't being serious - it's called sarcasm :)

He wasn't being serious - it's called sarcasm :)

Until dissing sachin is considering blasphemy on pp he can and should get criticised for dragging India away from the number one spot

He averages less than mohammed hafeez in the last two years, for kalki avatar's sake

Until dissing sachin is considering blasphemy on pp he can and should get criticised for dragging India away from the number one spot

He averages less than mohammed hafeez in the last two years, for kalki avatar's sake
:))

Please don't compare Hafeez with Sachin.

Hafeez can bowl and field too. Sachin was just a one-trick run-pony.

Alas, Hafeez truly is blessed.

:))

Please don't compare Hafeez with Sachin.

Hafeez can bowl and field too. Sachin was just a one-trick run-pony.

Alas, Hafeez truly is blessed.

if hafeez came out of the closet as being indian, i doubt tendulkar would have opened as much as he did

He averaged 32.5 in his last 20 odd tests. Laxman, Sehwag and Gambhir had also declined in that period.

Criticised for dragging India out of the number one spot? Tendulkar, along with Laxman, Zaheer and Sehwag scripted India's fairy tale rise to the no.1 test ranking. Dravid was going through a poor run of form post 2007, similar to what Tendulkar went through post 2012.
Just check Tendulkar's batting stats between 2007-2011 WC.

BTW, Tendulkar left India at the no.2 Test rankings when he left :p

Back