Boxing Thread

Next boxing/UFC fight I'm going to watch is either Money vs McGregor, Pacman vs Amir, Bones vs Cormier, or Khabib vs anyone. Whichever comes first. Not interested in anything else.

Could be a long time until any of those are close to happening mate :))

I think we'll see all four happen this year.

Khabib will hopefully fight, strangely Mcgregor/Floyd is likely late in the year as is Bones/Cormier but the one I want to see most out of all of them Khan/Manny could not be happening due to Bob Arum being so stubborn

Khabib will hopefully fight, strangely Mcgregor/Floyd is likely late in the year as is Bones/Cormier but the one I want to see most out of all of them Khan/Manny could not be happening due to Bob Arum being so stubborn

I don't understand why all these top fighters don't just start promoting themselves like Mayweather did. I'm not a fan of the man or the boxer but Mayweather is a really shrewd decision maker.

I don't understand why all these top fighters don't just start promoting themselves like Mayweather did. I'm not a fan of the man or the boxer but Mayweather is a really shrewd decision maker.

I agree with you, have to admit that once he left I began to miss him; I never truly appreciated his career, am not going to deny he did some cherry picking late on in his career when he became the A side but he earned that and there have been some terrific wins on a level playing field. And the man really knew the art of promotion, no one out there quiet like him; think the fighters he is managing under his company are in safe hands.

Khan should go back and take care of Garcia before moving on. Seems to just be like look for one more big payday.

Garcia however looked mediocre against Thurman.

Watching Crolla/Linares 2, Crolla looks so damn one dimensional out there; Linares is boxing circles around him, his best chance is a lucky body shot otherwise no chance he's going to win, in fact there's a risk Linares is going to stop him late in the rounds, boxing beautifully off the back foot, speed, beautiful use of the jab, going up, down, working the body and throwing the right hand as a cherry on top, when Crolla launches an attack he is out of range thanks to Linares footwork or is blocked by the tight defence/countered

Masterclass from Linares, I scored the bout 116-103 in his favour; hopefully we get to see him in the ring vs Garcia

[MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION] your thoughts on GGG/Jacobs, Crolla/Linares 2, Katie Taylor and Lawrence Oklie ?

Masterclass from Linares, I scored the bout 116-103 in his favour; hopefully we get to see him in the ring vs Garcia

Ant had no fight in him,so disappointed
He's pushing for a terry Flanagan fight now who went to the same school as him

Andre Ward v Kovalev 2 is confirmed for June 17th, can't wait for all the "critics" to get humiliated when Ward wins a lot more emphatically this time round.

Andre Ward v Kovalev 2 is confirmed for June 17th, can't wait for all the "critics" to get humiliated when Ward wins a lot more emphatically this time round.

Love that fight. Tough fight for both and another 50-50. I scored the first fight for kovalev by 2 rounds

Love that fight. Tough fight for both and another 50-50. I scored the first fight for kovalev by 2 rounds

I had Ward up by a point or two, felt he controlled the pace beautifully during the fight and recovered well after the knockdown. Not a 50/50 at all from my perspective but still will be competetive to an extent, Ward is a technician who had been inactive for a long period before the Kovalev fight and it was his return to a top level flight, plus he's not the young chicken spring he use to be as well and it magnifies when you are inactive.

However, after his performance in his last fight vs Kovalev it's a return to form and a return to the elite level, Andre Ward can still go and in this rematch there will be no rust to shake off at all and technically he wont be as reluctant and will go in a lot more confidently. Kovalev's best chance is to KO Ward but if it goes the distance and am sure it will, Ward would have won by a bigger margin and more emphatically this time.

The two fighters are deserving of their no.1 and no.2 P4P ranking; easily the two best fighters on the planet who have fought the best and never ducked a challenge especially in the case of Ward who deserves a lot more credit then he receives when you look at his career accomplishments.

[MENTION=133972]shaykh[/MENTION] Who did you feel won Ward v Kovalev 1 and who you got for the rematch?

Ricky Burns has to be among the most overrated fighters in history, then again that is the matchroom staple.

5'11, 215-225. That's big. He fought taller fighters but there weren't many that were bigger.

Tyson was a midget in HW terms, muscle mass is not significant in the grand scheme of fighting and a lack of reach severely handicaps a 5ft 11 dude in the HW division. He trained hard in terms of conditioning and developing skill but was also aided by natural gifts in addition to being special. The guys he fought were in great condition individually and if some appeared bigger it wasn't by much.

lack of reach can severely handicap a fighter

A few days from Joshua/Klitschko, what's everyone's thoughts on how it will go? [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]

Imo Wlad was lost against Fury, throwing a poor number of punches per round, something like 12. However I will be surprised if Joshua knocks him out as the old dog will not want to end his career on the canvas. After the first 2 rounds he will feel the youth, power and energy of Joshua and will then turn into a stop start fight

Joshua on points is my prediction.

A few days from Joshua/Klitschko, what's everyone's thoughts on how it will go? [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]

Imo Wlad was lost against Fury, throwing a poor number of punches per round, something like 12. However I will be surprised if Joshua knocks him out as the old dog will not want to end his career on the canvas. After the first 2 rounds he will feel the youth, power and energy of Joshua and will then turn into a stop start fight

Joshua on points is my prediction.

This is a really tough fight to predict can make a case for both, am excited for it though; it's Joshua's first real test, I know Wladmir is old now and has been inactive for 18 months but I still rank him as a top 5 HW.

I'd be surprised if it goes the distance, the fight for me will defo end in a KO; either an early one for AJ or a late one for Wladmir.

Btw awesome profile picture! that's what am talking about, The PRINCE of BOXING!

This is a really tough fight to predict can make a case for both, am excited for it though; it's Joshua's first real test, I know Wladmir is old now and has been inactive for 18 months but I still rank him as a top 5 HW.

I'd be surprised if it goes the distance, the fight for me will defo end in a KO; either an early one for AJ or a late one for Wladmir.

Btw awesome profile picture! that's what am talking about, The PRINCE of BOXING!

Interesting as like yourself most people see a KO, mostly for AJ but I just feel Wlad wouldn't want to go out with a stoppage. If he gets early success, he might open up giving AJ a chance but if he doesn't he will use his experience to hold out for 12. Let's see what happens :)

Naz was a true legend in the ring and sadly we wont see another British boxer like him. Not many featherweights have the power Naz had. His fight with Kevin Kelly is one you can watch time after time.

Interesting as like yourself most people see a KO, mostly for AJ but I just feel Wlad wouldn't want to go out with a stoppage. If he gets early success, he might open up giving AJ a chance but if he doesn't he will use his experience to hold out for 12. Let's see what happens :)

Naz was a true legend in the ring and sadly we wont see another British boxer like him. Not many featherweights have the power Naz had. His fight with Kevin Kelly is one you can watch time after time.

It's like after the fight we're all going to act like experts who knew it all but honestly this is the first big fight in years where I genuinely have no clue and can't make a prediction, which is great from an entertainment point of view! are you going to buy the fight or head to the pub? :afridi

Naz was to lower weight divisions what Tyson was as a HW boxer, you're right about that power; Lennox Lewis had held the pads up for Naz in his prime and said that the guy was a freak of nature, those hands were not meant to punch so hard. That fight against KK was amazing, if Naz wanted he could have dominated him but he wanted to put a show on but when KK put him down he was like man this guy smoked my boots like he said he would! you will never find a fighter like that these days , you know the real showman who not only want to win but they want to do it in style, one of the reasons Floyds get a lot of disrespect is due to the boring nature of his fights when he's happy to tuk his way to a victory even with a landslide lead :misbah

Last edited:
Annoyed I couldnt get tickets for the fight but I'm definitey watching it with a few mates.

AJ wins if he is aggresisve and fights like the younger man. If he is too hesitant and looks to box smart, Wlad is going to open up his full box of tricks. Tentatively pulling for AJ stoppage round 9 or later.

Annoyed I couldnt get tickets for the fight but I'm definitey watching it with a few mates.

AJ wins if he is aggresisve and fights like the younger man. If he is too hesitant and looks to box smart, Wlad is going to open up his full box of tricks. Tentatively pulling for AJ stoppage round 9 or later.

If it goes past 6-7 rounds Wladmir will win, Team AJ have trained specifically for the KO which is dumb because what will be his plan B? AJ came in 10lb heavier then Wladmir and a career high of 250 pounds !!! why risk sacrificing a bit of speed and definitely stamina. Am going to stick my neck out there and predict that Wladmir will KO Anthony Joshua.

It doesn't matter that you didn't get tickets, most likely you'd have seen two little sticks throwing hands from one of the upper tiers :)) if the fight was in the MEN arena I'd have said cool, go for it! because no matter where you sit the view would be great.

You spending £20 ? or going to the pub?

If it goes past 6-7 rounds Wladmir will win, Team AJ have trained specifically for the KO which is dumb because what will be his plan B? AJ came in 10lb heavier then Wladmir and a career high of 250 pounds !!! why risk sacrificing a bit of speed and definitely stamina. Am going to stick my neck out there and predict that Wladmir will KO Anthony Joshua.

It doesn't matter that you didn't get tickets, most likely you'd have seen two little sticks throwing hands from one of the upper tiers :)) if the fight was in the MEN arena I'd have said cool, go for it! because no matter where you sit the view would be great.

You spending £20 ? or going to the pub?

I would not be surprised if Wlad won but he looked so bad last time that he may well be shot. But we will learn a lot in the first 2 rounds. If Wlad doesn't impose himself, he loses. If AJ looks to play too cute and be all "smart", he loses to the vet. It's an intriguing match up though and I cant wait.

Personally I wanted some pitch side seats but Matchroom "sold" them pretty quickly. And I'll be watching on box office, gettin together with a few friends. Should be fun.

It's like after the fight we're all going to act like experts who knew it all but honestly this is the first big fight in years where I genuinely have no clue and can't make a prediction, which is great from an entertainment point of view! are you going to buy the fight or head to the pub? :afridi

The problem is AJ hasn't fought anyone top class, all his opponents can be classed as bums tbh. He became the world champion by knocking out a true bum within a few seconds, I've yet to see an easier championship bout. What we do know is he has great skills, being a gold medal winner kind of showed this a long time ago. We also know if hit clean he can be hurt but all heavyweights are prone to the KO. On the other hand we have WK who is on the way out but being a true proffesoinal will want to finish on a high but imo he will also accept a lose to a future star if he's not knocked out or stopped. So I feel it will be very cagey after the first few rounds. I will watch the fight at a friends, he can pay for it. :inti

Naz was to lower weight divisions what Tyson was as a HW boxer, you're right about that power; Lennox Lewis had held the pads up for Naz in his prime and said that the guy was a freak of nature, those hands were not meant to punch so hard. That fight against KK was amazing, if Naz wanted he could have dominated him but he wanted to put a show on but when KK put him down he was like man this guy smoked my boots like he said he would! you will never find a fighter like that these days , you know the real showman who not only want to win but they want to do it in style, one of the reasons Floyds get a lot of disrespect is due to the boring nature of his fights when he's happy to tuk his way to a victory even with a landslide lead :misbah

Its a real shame the way his career ended though, Naz fully fit with a recent fight behind him would have beat or given a Barrera a real fight. The other thing with Naz was his pesonality. Now we have the likes of AJ who is a great athlete but has the personality of a brick (in boxing terms).

The problem is AJ hasn't fought anyone top class, all his opponents can be classed as bums tbh. He became the world champion by knocking out a true bum within a few seconds, I've yet to see an easier championship bout. What we do know is he has great skills, being a gold medal winner kind of showed this a long time ago. We also know if hit clean he can be hurt but all heavyweights are prone to the KO. On the other hand we have WK who is on the way out but being a true proffesoinal will want to finish on a high but imo he will also accept a lose to a future star if he's not knocked out or stopped. So I feel it will be very cagey after the first few rounds. I will watch the fight at a friends, he can pay for it. :inti

Its a real shame the way his career ended though, Naz fully fit with a recent fight behind him would have beat or given a Barrera a real fight. The other thing with Naz was his pesonality. Now we have the likes of AJ who is a great athlete but has the personality of a brick (in boxing terms).

I have changed my prediction KingKhan did you see the weigh in! am going for Wladmir win! and possible KO as the method of victory!

You're right, the theory against Wlad is that he is 41, past his prime and has been inactive for 18 months. AJ on the other hand, is young, fresh and as you say there is some skill there despite him not being what he is hyped to be.

Naz risked his life for one big pay day, he is luck that he did not die in the ring vs Barrera. He did not train adequately and took the fight on short notice, he had like a month to train (had put on excess weight was so fat) and on fight night was shadow boxing in the sauna so he could make weight! Barrera was bound to dethrone an opponent who had lost the desire for boxing, did not train, did not have enough time to train and was weight drained; it's a miracle that Naz did not get stopped! I know there are casual masses who belittle Naz at times for that loss but the purist know that it wasn't a victory which Barrera can really take credit for much like Bellew beating up the one legged David Haye. Naz bought immense attention to the lower divisions which it had never received before and he is a pioneer, ATG featherweight for me which is why he was rightly inducted into the hall of fame; for me Naz is the greatest British Boxer we've ever produced.

:))) I know, that's why I love Tyson Fury so much; arguably even more then Amir Khan! I seriously do not know how anyone can hate that guy, he is hilarious! he gets a bit of stick for his views and they get taken out of context but his heart is in the right place and the media do not highlight all the good he does. Quiet frankly many can't get use to a Gypsy world champion. I hope he sorts his issues out and is back to his best.

With Khan people can say what they like but he has never been involved in a dull fight, has a big heart, exceptional mental strength and has never ducked anyone; his resume is there for all to see and when you fight such quality there are bound to be some defeats. He is done now but what a wonderful career, to an extent he may have under-performed but he's made a lot of money I suppose.

I have changed my prediction KingKhan did you see the weigh in! am going for Wladmir win! and possible KO as the method of victory!

You're right, the theory against Wlad is that he is 41, past his prime and has been inactive for 18 months. AJ on the other hand, is young, fresh and as you say there is some skill there despite him not being what he is hyped to be.

Naz risked his life for one big pay day, he is luck that he did not die in the ring vs Barrera. He did not train adequately and took the fight on short notice, he had like a month to train (had put on excess weight was so fat) and on fight night was shadow boxing in the sauna so he could make weight! Barrera was bound to dethrone an opponent who had lost the desire for boxing, did not train, did not have enough time to train and was weight drained; it's a miracle that Naz did not get stopped! I know there are casual masses who belittle Naz at times for that loss but the purist know that it wasn't a victory which Barrera can really take credit for much like Bellew beating up the one legged David Haye. Naz bought immense attention to the lower divisions which it had never received before and he is a pioneer, ATG featherweight for me which is why he was rightly inducted into the hall of fame; for me Naz is the greatest British Boxer we've ever produced.

:))) I know, that's why I love Tyson Fury so much; arguably even more then Amir Khan! I seriously do not know how anyone can hate that guy, he is hilarious! he gets a bit of stick for his views and they get taken out of context but his heart is in the right place and the media do not highlight all the good he does. Quiet frankly many can't get use to a Gypsy world champion. I hope he sorts his issues out and is back to his best.

With Khan people can say what they like but he has never been involved in a dull fight, has a big heart, exceptional mental strength and has never ducked anyone; his resume is there for all to see and when you fight such quality there are bound to be some defeats. He is done now but what a wonderful career, to an extent he may have under-performed but he's made a lot of money I suppose.

No i will watch it now. There is no doubt Wlad is serious this time round and will give his best but what will be his tactics? He likes to measure up his opponent in the ring, so if he feels comfortable he might just want to win round by round. If his defence is not good enough early no, he could use the hold and make things ugly. But if he sees an opening he will defo go for the big shot.

Agree Naz is the best british boxer of all time. Ironcially his power led to his end with a damaged hand. Wlad fought a mad man in the ring when he lost to Fury, even in the ring you never know what he will do. It's a real shame what's happened to him and hope he recovers fully. I believe if he had another couple of big fights against the likes of Wilder or Joshua, he would have continued to suprise us with his boxing pedigree.

If Khan had Fury's personality, he would be the box office fighter right now. Great entertainment in the ring and the same outside. Even 6 or 7 losses in such a personality boxers career wouldn't mean much.

No i will watch it now. There is no doubt Wlad is serious this time round and will give his best but what will be his tactics? He likes to measure up his opponent in the ring, so if he feels comfortable he might just want to win round by round. If his defence is not good enough early no, he could use the hold and make things ugly. But if he sees an opening he will defo go for the big shot.

Agree Naz is the best british boxer of all time. Ironcially his power led to his end with a damaged hand. Wlad fought a mad man in the ring when he lost to Fury, even in the ring you never know what he will do. It's a real shame what's happened to him and hope he recovers fully. I believe if he had another couple of big fights against the likes of Wilder or Joshua, he would have continued to suprise us with his boxing pedigree.

If Khan had Fury's personality, he would be the box office fighter right now. Great entertainment in the ring and the same outside. Even 6 or 7 losses in such a personality boxers career wouldn't mean much.

The key for Wladmir is to weather the early storm and allow AJ to self destruct who is banking on knocking Wladmir out early, there are no two ways about it; they have no real plan B, if AJ finds himself in deep waters Wladmir will capitalize. The extra 10lb means that Joshua will fatigue and get tire a lot more then expected plus he has never fought beyond 7 rounds and when you add in the pressure of the occasion it really affects you mentally to the point where your physical condition is tested extensively, how will AJ deal with that? Fury really was mad on another level :)) did you see him walk down the ramp in the fight against Wladmir in Germany? 60K people in the stadium, away from home and the guy is just super confident and calm; think he actually blows kisses as he steps in the ring :))) That's one of the advantages Wlad has, the experience of being in those big fights.

I like AJ but hard to get behind him personally when his casual fans overly hype him as if the guy is the second coming of Mike Tyson, Wladmir on the other hand I know he lost to Fury at the peak of his powers but I have immense respect for the man and he truly deserves to be in the boxing hall of fame, his accomplishments speak for themselves; he looked like a joke in his KO losses and no one would have predicted that he'd reign for a dedicate and beat names which were expected to defeat him such as Povetkin, Pulev and Haye; he beat every fighter top 10 HW in the last 10 years and it's a testament to his greatness that a quality fighter in Fury was the one to beat him when so many before had failed. So as a boxing enthusiast you can't help but root for the man, he's only behind Joe louis when it comes to reign length, defences and title bout victories. Klitschko also has fought in 28 heavyweight title fights, more than any heavyweight champion in the sport's history. He also holds the record of having defeated the most boxers with an undefeated record, at 12, and has also defeated ten current or former world champions throughout his career.

On a boxing site I frequent, I predicted AJ wins via KO round 9-12. Good lad!

But I genuinely thought he was done in the 5th or 6th when he got KD and then walked around on jelly legs. For the first time in a long long time, we have a heavyweight worthy of being called "star".

Too top fight.

Unlike the dire Mayweather Pacman fight this one lived up to they hype.

AJ defence got exposed today but fought well to make a comeback.

Klitchkio should call it a day, end of his reign.

On a boxing site I frequent, I predicted AJ wins via KO round 9-12. Good lad!

But I genuinely thought he was done in the 5th or 6th when he got KD and then walked around on jelly legs. For the first time in a long long time, we have a heavyweight worthy of being called "star".

Tyson Fury got there first and is still the lineal undisputed champion who deserves more credit then anyone for beating the man. But AJ is such a fantastic media trained guy with an amazing marketing team behind him so many casual fans tends to overly hype him.

What an epic war, incredible fight and both men proved themselves in their own way; AJ cements himself as a world class top 3 HW in the world and Wladmir cemented his legacy as an ATG Heavyweight and future hall of famer.; he was 41 years old, past his prime and had been inactive for 17 months; this is the man who AJ beat and Tyson Fury's win looks even more incredible.

Wlad failed to step on the gas after knocking AJ down and felt he could grind out a win in the second half, he should have gone for the finish it was a big turning point. But credit to AJ for getting of the canvas and having a bit left in the tank for a strong finish; the upper cut is his best weapon.

Brilliant fight.

Excellent from AJ - that upper cut was so brutal you could almost sense the power through the screen!

Tyson Fury got there first and is still the lineal undisputed champion who deserves more credit then anyone for beating the man. But AJ is such a fantastic media trained guy with an amazing marketing team behind him so many casual fans tends to overly hype him.

What an epic war, incredible fight and both men proved themselves in their own way; AJ cements himself as a world class top 3 HW in the world and Wladmir cemented his legacy as an ATG Heavyweight and future hall of famer.; he was 41 years old, past his prime and had been inactive for 17 months; this is the man who AJ beat and Tyson Fury's win looks even more incredible.

Wlad failed to step on the gas after knocking AJ down and felt he could grind out a win in the second half, he should have gone for the finish it was a big turning point. But credit to AJ for getting of the canvas and having a bit left in the tank for a strong finish; the upper cut is his best weapon.

Tyson Fury didn't turn in a star making performance. AJ turned in a performance and a ifght people can actually talk about. So that was the point I was making.

A bit left? Man he exploded in round 11. AJ proved how good he is.

This match was a 100 times better them the one Fury won.

Also Fury has been a mess since winning that match. Did he even box after that?

AJ is bringing the glory back to the HW division.

Tyson Fury didn't turn in a star making performance. AJ turned in a performance and a ifght people can actually talk about. So that was the point I was making.

Tyson Fury outclassed Wladmir in his own backyard; Wladmir was barely able to land a punch on Fury. Yet we're calling a star making performance based on the fact that a 41 year old past his prime and 18 month of inactivity put the young guy who was expected to blast him out within 6 rounds on his back and dominated the fight before being TKO'd. It was a fight of the year for sure but how we define a real star is a bit subjective to be honest with you, AJ was a star long before this fight thanks to his excellent gimmick when you look at his drawing power; now there are fans comparing him to Muhammad Ali lol it just vindicates my point.

A bit left? Man he exploded in round 11. AJ proved how good he is.

This match was a 100 times better them the one Fury won.

Also Fury has been a mess since winning that match. Did he even box after that?

AJ is bringing the glory back to the HW division.

The fight was better from an entertainment point of view, Fury dominated Wladmir and AJ managed to KO him after being dominated and put on his back; Wladmir barely landed any punches on Fury. Yes he did have a bit left towards the end, you think he was full of stamina and endurance at that stage? that's bizarre.

Tyson Fury bought glory back the HW division by defeating Wladmir and opening it up, the only reason Wladmir/AJ even took place is due to Fury; AJ was only able to win the IBF title due to Fury, after Fury defeated Wladmir the IBF stripped him off the title straight away for some political reason and AJ was able to fight for a vacated championship.

Yeah he has been a mess but still holds the undisputed lineal and ring HW championships, those titles have not been stripped away and he remains the no.1 man in the division who is returning to the ring this year.

Last edited:
The fight was better from an entertainment point of view, Fury dominated Wladmir and AJ managed to KO him after being dominated and put on his back; Wladmir barely landed any punches on Fury. Yes he did have a bit left towards the end, you think he was full of stamina and endurance at that stage? that's bizarre.

Tyson Fury bought glory back the HW division by defeating Wladmir and opening it up, the only reason Wladmir/AJ even took place is due to Fury; AJ was only able to win the IBF title due to Fury, after Fury defeated Wladmir the IBF stripped him off the title straight away for some political reason and AJ was able to fight for a vacated championship.

Yeah he has been a mess but still holds the undisputed lineal and ring HW championships, those titles have not been stripped away and he remains the no.1 man in the division who is returning to the ring this year.

Of course AJ will not be full of stamina in round 11 but to fnish it like he did was just amazing. That was 1 amazing explosion, so much power and energy.

AJ got this fight due to his own hard work. Now lets c what fury does. Its easy being a champ but never actually defending the title.

I hope he sorts himself out and steps in the ring to fight AJ.

If we don't consider Fury in our rankings given his inactivity and past state despite him holding the undisputed title (and is no.1 by default), these would be my top 6 HW rankings:

1. Deontay Wilder WBC champion

2. Anthony Joshua Unified IBF and WBA champion

3. Wladmir Klitchko

4. Dilian Whyte

5. Pulev

6. Joseph Parker WBO champion

Would have Povetkin at no.4 in the rankings there but his career is pretty much over thanks to the PED violations back to back

Entertaining fight, disappointed that Klitscho didn't finish the job off and announce his retirement after doing so.

I have seen Joshua and I have seen Wilder, in my opinion it would be an explosive fight going no longer than 3 rounds given how wildly both swing. But at this moment in time Joshua isn't ready for that fight physically. He's still too big and to be quite honest a younger Klitchsko would have finished him off after his knock down.

Of course AJ will not be full of stamina in round 11 but to fnish it like he did was just amazing. That was 1 amazing explosion, so much power and energy.

AJ got this fight due to his own hard work. Now lets c what fury does. Its easy being a champ but never actually defending the title.

I hope he sorts himself out and steps in the ring to fight AJ.

Am just stating the facts with regards to how he came to get the title shot. The IBF title belonged to Wladmir for 10 years, when Fury took it off him the governing body all of a sudden vacated it and arranged a fight between AJ and some bum called Charles Martin. What is easy more then anything is defending title against bums (barring this defence against Wlad which AJ deserves credit for), what is really tough is to win the lineal undisputed title (you can only attain it by beating the no.1 ranked fighter check the Ring rankings and they still have Tyson as no.1). Tyson had his issues so unfortunately the alphabet titles were taken from him, now he seems to be in better health mentally so hopefully his return to the ring is successful so we can have an AJ/Fury fight next year at Wembley.

And am not taking anything away from AJ, he has earned my respect for the win or else I'd not rank him in my top 4 but am not going to rate him the no.1 guy until he defeats Deontay Wilder or a Tyson Fury who is at 100%.

Last edited:
Entertaining fight, disappointed that Klitscho didn't finish the job off and announce his retirement after doing so.

I have seen Joshua and I have seen Wilder, in my opinion it would be an explosive fight going no longer than 3 rounds given how wildly both swing. But at this moment in time Joshua isn't ready for that fight physically. He's still too big and to be quite honest a younger Klitchsko would have finished him off after his knock down.

Agreed there, also Wilder is the most dangerous fighter in the division in my opinion; his power is very scary. He doesn't get cred due to a lack of high profile win, he was supposed to face Povetkin in his own backyard but unfortunately that clown had to pull out due to doping

Am just stating the facts with regards to how he came to get the title shot. The IBF title belonged to Wladmir for 10 years, when Fury took it off him the governing body all of a sudden vacated it and arranged a fight between AJ and some bum called Charles Martin. What is easy more then anything is defending title against bums (barring this defence against Wlad which AJ deserves credit for), what is really tough is to win the lineal undisputed title (you can only attain it by beating the no.1 ranked fighter check the Ring rankings and they still have Tyson as no.1). Tyson had his issues so unfortunately the alphabet titles were taken from him, now he seems to be in better health mentally so hopefully his return to the ring is successful so we can have an AJ/Fury fight next year at Wembley.

And am not taking anything away from AJ, he has earned my respect for the win or else I'd not rank him in my top 4 but am not going to rate him the no.1 guy until he defeats Deontay Wilder or a Tyson Fury who is at 100%.

Thats the thing sooner then later aj, fury and wilder will fight each other.

That will decide who the top fighter is.
Lets see.

Best fight I've seen in ages.

Wlad was quicker and sharper then I've seen him in ages.

Also the styles made for a great fight.

Wlad could and should have had AJ in the fifth round but I think he was still feeling the effects of his own knockdown in round four and they played it safe by trying to win on points when AJ was there for the taking.

How good is AJ? Well this was still only his 19th pro fight and like he say himself, he's still a work in progress and the journey continues.

Great entertainment by AJ and WK but AJ is not the second coming of Ali lol. We all new this as nobody is near Ali at in the sport but he was found out big time. WK doesn''t have 4/5 punch combinations otherwise it would be all over. Good fight for the fans but AJ needs to improve, this was the first real opponenet he has faced and someone who is at the end of his career. A fully fit Fury or even Wilder will beat AJ if he performs the way he did again. Of course great credit for coming back and stopping Wlad, he has a big heart. :afridi

Great entertainment by AJ and WK but AJ is not the second coming of Ali lol. We all new this as nobody is near Ali at in the sport but he was found out big time. WK doesn''t have 4/5 punch combinations otherwise it would be all over. Good fight for the fans but AJ needs to improve, this was the first real opponenet he has faced and someone who is at the end of his career. A fully fit Fury or even Wilder will beat AJ if he performs the way he did again. Of course great credit for coming back and stopping Wlad, he has a big heart. :afridi

Amazing fight, I'd have go really far back to recall such an entertaining world championship fight between the heavyweights. It was one of the best HW fights ever and deserves that recognition so credit to both men for their performance. Wladmir past his prime at 41 and 1.5 years of activity almost defeated the younger champion and took his best shots! incredible, he should have stepped on the gas a little bit but credit to AJ as well; showed a big heart and took some powerful shots. Wladmir has left no doubt about his legacy now one of the best HW's ever.

AJ is still a work in progress and it's unheard of for him to take this sought of fight given the inexperience but he is the world champion and you can't just continue to beat bums and have to show your title respect. I expected a game Wladmir and even backed him to win but in that final 1/4 had he been a little younger maybe those legs would have held up.

The Fury who face Wladmir is unbeatable but am not sure he can return to that level given his issues :)) Wilder is the most dangerous fighter in the division imo his power is just scary, the guy is overlooked because he doesn't have any big scalps on his resume and it's unfortunate the povetkin fight didn't happen when that russian got done for doping but man I'd not underestimate him. I'd never bet against him and am a huge fan of Fury, even bigger fan of Tyson then Amir! might be because Fury is even more relatable :))) beyond his exceptional skills and character

Amazing fight, I'd have go really far back to recall such an entertaining world championship fight between the heavyweights. It was one of the best HW fights ever and deserves that recognition so credit to both men for their performance. Wladmir past his prime at 41 and 1.5 years of activity almost defeated the younger champion and took his best shots! incredible, he should have stepped on the gas a little bit but credit to AJ as well; showed a big heart and took some powerful shots. Wladmir has left no doubt about his legacy now one of the best HW's ever.

AJ is still a work in progress and it's unheard of for him to take this sought of fight given the inexperience but he is the world champion and you can't just continue to beat bums and have to show your title respect. I expected a game Wladmir and even backed him to win but in that final 1/4 had he been a little younger maybe those legs would have held up.

The Fury who face Wladmir is unbeatable but am not sure he can return to that level given his issues :)) Wilder is the most dangerous fighter in the division imo his power is just scary, the guy is overlooked because he doesn't have any big scalps on his resume and it's unfortunate the povetkin fight didn't happen when that russian got done for doping but man I'd not underestimate him. I'd never bet against him and am a huge fan of Fury, even bigger fan of Tyson then Amir! might be because Fury is even more relatable :))) beyond his exceptional skills and character

Fury is straight up, no im a nice guy bs , says it like it is. Have you seen the recent videos he's put out? He's really giving it to AJ and others but sadly I dont think the fight will take place. I think Wilder will be next for AJ and probably another Wembley fight although I'd like him to fight in Vegas next. I know it's late for UK fans but beating an American in Vegas will give him even more stature as a fighter.

What are your thoughts on Wilder v AJ? Wilder is not like WK , he will drop bombs repeatedly if AJ is caught which he will be for sure. AJ's defence is flawed and needs improvement, the way Wlad was so easily beating him to the punch with his job was worrying.

Fury is straight up, no im a nice guy bs , says it like it is. Have you seen the recent videos he's put out? He's really giving it to AJ and others but sadly I dont think the fight will take place. I think Wilder will be next for AJ and probably another Wembley fight although I'd like him to fight in Vegas next. I know it's late for UK fans but beating an American in Vegas will give him even more stature as a fighter.

What are your thoughts on Wilder v AJ? Wilder is not like WK , he will drop bombs repeatedly if AJ is caught which he will be for sure. AJ's defence is flawed and needs improvement, the way Wlad was so easily beating him to the punch with his job was worrying.

Eddie is on the sky payroll as well and all involved including Joshua have begun to promote Fury as a possible opponent and it's the fight fans in the UK both casual and enthusiasts want to see, personal feelings aside they all know that a lot of money is on the table so I won't doubt their intention to make that fight in the near future although it's unlikely that Fury will be AJ's opponent this year but maybe in April 2018 he will? A lot depends on if Fury can get back to the same level of 2015 as well, there's a chance he might return in July but he's not going to look great in terms of his condition :)) he is desperate to return in July in order to retain his lineal titles which can be stripped due to 18 months of inactivity so he has like a month or so to arrange a fight and sort his license issues out.

Bro I know a lot of fighters have so much hype when it comes to their power but man Wilder just scares me, he has had many of his opponents stretchered out the arena and for me he's the most dangerous HW in the division who can take out anyone with a single punch should he connect flush and I'd put my money on him in a fight against Joshua. Wilder is an Olympic medalist himself and while he comes across as someone who just swings like a mad man he can box when he wants to as we saw against Stiverne. AJ is still a work in progress and I do see him improving with each fight but I'd still back Wilder

Eddie is on the sky payroll as well and all involved including Joshua have begun to promote Fury as a possible opponent and it's the fight fans in the UK both casual and enthusiasts want to see, personal feelings aside they all know that a lot of money is on the table so I won't doubt their intention to make that fight in the near future although it's unlikely that Fury will be AJ's opponent this year but maybe in April 2018 he will? A lot depends on if Fury can get back to the same level of 2015 as well, there's a chance he might return in July but he's not going to look great in terms of his condition :)) he is desperate to return in July in order to retain his lineal titles which can be stripped due to 18 months of inactivity so he has like a month or so to arrange a fight and sort his license issues out.

Bro I know a lot of fighters have so much hype when it comes to their power but man Wilder just scares me, he has had many of his opponents stretchered out the arena and for me he's the most dangerous HW in the division who can take out anyone with a single punch should he connect flush and I'd put my money on him in a fight against Joshua. Wilder is an Olympic medalist himself and while he comes across as someone who just swings like a mad man he can box when he wants to as we saw against Stiverne. AJ is still a work in progress and I do see him improving with each fight but I'd still back Wilder

I really hope Fury doesn't rush into the AJ fight as you mention. He needs to be fully fit both physically and mentally, the last thing we want is for him not prepared and get hurt. One of the things some of these casual fans who tune in only for the big promoted fights is the dangers boxers face. The damage might not come into play instantly but could be over time. With what Fury has been through, id love to see him in the squared circle but not at the expense of his health.

I remember watching Wilder when he came onto the scene, I thought this guy has huge punch power but is limited in his boxing skills but as you say he now possesses good boxing skills to go with his power. I'm also fascinated by his power , would not want to get hit by one of his thunderbolts man. Did you see him at the AJ fight, he was having a trash talking session with Tony Belleow. Sure TB has done well for hims self but he can't really be serious wanting a heighweight showdown against Wilder. If would not go beyond 3/3 rounds. I can see AJ and Wilder making the fight for late this year, should be fascinating and as it stands likely be AJ's first loss. Lets see hey.

I really hope Fury doesn't rush into the AJ fight as you mention. He needs to be fully fit both physically and mentally, the last thing we want is for him not prepared and get hurt. One of the things some of these casual fans who tune in only for the big promoted fights is the dangers boxers face. The damage might not come into play instantly but could be over time. With what Fury has been through, id love to see him in the squared circle but not at the expense of his health.

I remember watching Wilder when he came onto the scene, I thought this guy has huge punch power but is limited in his boxing skills but as you say he now possesses good boxing skills to go with his power. I'm also fascinated by his power , would not want to get hit by one of his thunderbolts man. Did you see him at the AJ fight, he was having a trash talking session with Tony Belleow. Sure TB has done well for hims self but he can't really be serious wanting a heighweight showdown against Wilder. If would not go beyond 3/3 rounds. I can see AJ and Wilder making the fight for late this year, should be fascinating and as it stands likely be AJ's first loss. Lets see hey.

Totally agree, Ricky Hatton is an example of what can come of said issues and I hope he takes his time if he is serious; feel like his camp may rush him into a fight with AJ not being sure of his level and state in their bid to cash out because if he loses the tune ups then the AJ fight is gone.

TB was rustled :)) you know Wilder is not like these other guys, he has improved as a person being a family man who is also religious but the guy is a legitimate thug and not those wannabe's. His crew rushed Dominiz Brezeale who started on his younger brother recently, they literally do not care and Wilder is far from an Ali who wanted to be strategic about dishing out punishment because he did not want to hurt his opponent apart from the noob who kept calling him cassius; but Wilder he wants to hurt you really bad. Wilder later on would laugh TB off and if I was him I'd not want to step in the ring with him, Haye was carrying many niggles, past his peak and became a one legged fighter who was once a cruzerweight. Wilder is a big scary dude! TB is insane.

Here is Fury training recently, you ever seen a man that big display such speed and evasiveness lmao

Joseph Parker has to be the worst HW world champion in history ! [MENTION=131867]London_Lahori[/MENTION] [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION]

He lost to a guy who was his sparring partner for months and only had 2 weeks to train after Hughie pulled out meaning the man did not have a full camp behind him, on top of that he lost by KO to a fighter with 23 losses! what an absolute joke of a fighter Parker is.

I hope Eddie matches Dilian with JP so we can get a unification bout between AJ and Whyte, it would make more money then AJ/JP, wouldn't be a farce involving Bellew (it would hurt the division for a CW to hold a HW belt!, we all know Bellew is not a HW) and the fight itself would have a great build, plus Whyte is an improved fighter ever since the AJ loss and 100% fit so while AJ would be the favourite it is still an interesting fight and Whyte would have respectability as a world title challenger.

Canelo v Triple G has been confirmed for September! even though neither are anywhere near as good as they are made out to be it should be an entertaining fight, not 100% confirmed but I believe the fight will not be taking place at Canelo Weight but the championship 160lb which would be great news.

GGG looked ordinary the moment he fought a high calibre opponent in Jacobs whom many believe to have defeated GGG, even if you do feel he beat Jacobs you can't deny that his aura of invincibility was taken from him which may have tempted GBP to get on their roller skates to make the GGG fight. Canelo on the other hand has also looked very ordinary the moment he stepped up against the likes of Floyd, Cotto, Lara, Trout and even Khan who made him look one dimensional prior to the KO.

It's a bit tricky to make a prediction for this fight, Canelo is a great counter puncher but GGG is not as flat footed with decent power. But I'll go with Canelo on points.

Also, Alvarez v Julius Ceaser jr was a dreadful fight predictably for those who'd like to know; Canelo basically schooled another weight drained opponent who would have been fined $1 million for every pound he went over the catch weight. The drain in weight significantly weakened Julius and he couldn't get his punches off and lacked speed/power en route to being dominated over 12 rounds.

[MENTION=143163]dildildalwalla[/MENTION] Triple G or Canelo?

[MENTION=143163]dildildalwalla[/MENTION] Triple G or Canelo?

If you'd asked me 18 months ago, I would have said GGG but Canelo has come on leaps and bounds. His movement is far superior to what it used to be, his punch selection and combinations are a level above 2015 Canel as well BUT GGG is still the superior boxer, the superior puncher and the natural mw. So I'll pick GGG with less confidence than before...however, has there been any word on weight ?

If you'd asked me 18 months ago, I would have said GGG but Canelo has come on leaps and bounds. His movement is far superior to what it used to be, his punch selection and combinations are a level above 2015 Canel as well BUT GGG is still the superior boxer, the superior puncher and the natural mw. So I'll pick GGG with less confidence than before...however, has there been any word on weight ?

There are many sources reporting the fight is going to be at 160lb which is good news because the fight will be contested on a level playing field. Canelo always looks great against static fighters but his counter punching ability and knack for measuring distance are underestimated given that he's flat footed; GGG moves better on his feet, has more power and a better jab.

And while I believe he lost against Jacobs I do not put that down to him being "past it" but simply due to the fact that styles make fights and Jacobs ring generalship, movement and power were always going to be difficult to deal with. Canelo is not as big a challenge stylistically for GGG so I expect him to find success but am going with Canelo on points in a competitive bout.

There are many sources reporting the fight is going to be at 160lb which is good news because the fight will be contested on a level playing field. Canelo always looks great against static fighters but his counter punching ability and knack for measuring distance are underestimated given that he's flat footed; GGG moves better on his feet, has more power and a better jab.

And while I believe he lost against Jacobs I do not put that down to him being "past it" but simply due to the fact that styles make fights and Jacobs ring generalship, movement and power were always going to be difficult to deal with. Canelo is not as big a challenge stylistically for GGG so I expect him to find success but am going with Canelo on points in a competitive bout.

I think GGG beat Jacobs quite handily, I've never understood those who say he lost but hey, it is what it is. I disagree that Canelo will be less of an issue for GGG. The mexican is a better boxer and much smarter than Jacobs in the ring.

But we'll find out in a few months, the winner could overtake AJ as fighter of the year depending on how they perform.

I think GGG beat Jacobs quite handily, I've never understood those who say he lost but hey, it is what it is. I disagree that Canelo will be less of an issue for GGG. The mexican is a better boxer and much smarter than Jacobs in the ring.

But we'll find out in a few months, the winner could overtake AJ as fighter of the year depending on how they perform.

I never understood those who believed he did but I've said all that needs to be said in this thread already. I disagree there, Jabobs ring generalship is far superior but lets just say for arguments sake it's on a level playing field, Canelo does not move as well on his feet like Jacobs and is flat footed; that will play into GGG's hands and he'll be able to get his punches off much better in comparison to his previous fight.

In terms of popularity, star power and fighter of the year; AJ is the top dog in this moment and the UK scene is absolutely buzzing. In terms of the future, you'd put your money on him to bring back that mainstream and global attention.

Actually the more I think about it tend to lean even more to Canelo, my prediction has changed; Canelo will not only beat GGG but he will do so emphatically.

Canelo has been lucky that hes only got 1 defeat on his record as hes struggled in other fights and been gifted decisions and if hes still standing against GGG after 12 rounds i hope hes not gifted another dodgy decision. GGG to win by decision or late stoppage for me.

Canelo has been lucky that hes only got 1 defeat on his record as hes struggled in other fights and been gifted decisions and if hes still standing against GGG after 12 rounds i hope hes not gifted another dodgy decision. GGG to win by decision or late stoppage for me.

GGG was given a gift in his last fight as well, problem for him has been lack of depth in the MW division; besides Jacobs he had not fought any one worth mentioning at MW. There's BJS and Eubank to an extent as well who are world level operators but GGG had not fought them and did a job on all cans he was fed. So GGG's invincibility has been proportional to opposition who were significantly inferior, Canelo on the other hand has fought many fighters who were of a high calibre and thus was bound to struggle. Neither have justified their individual hype but have a chance to in September....

GGG wasnt given any gift at all and he won the the fight but a very small margin, Whilst Jacobs fustrated GGG for 12 rounds he rarely troubled him with his power or anything else. GGG pretty muched boxed for 12 rounds as Jacobs wasnt willing to trade or turn it into a street fight. If Jacobs had been more aggresive and open he would have been taken apart. last fight showed that GGG can box better then some fighters actually think and hes not just a KO specalist.

GGG wasnt given any gift at all and he won the the fight but a very small margin, Whilst Jacobs fustrated GGG for 12 rounds he rarely troubled him with his power or anything else. GGG pretty muched boxed for 12 rounds as Jacobs wasnt willing to trade or turn it into a street fight. If Jacobs had been more aggresive and open he would have been taken apart. last fight showed that GGG can box better then some fighters actually think and hes not just a KO specalist.

That is your opinion, many pundits and experts felt the same way as me; GGG looked like a headless chicken chasing the fight and looked out of his depth against an opponent who moved better and was a lot more accurate with their out put and controlled rounds with their jab. However, lets just say for arguments sake GGG did well and all; one thing you cannot deny is that Jacobs took away his aura of invincibility. GGG can box more then what people give him credit for but he's no ring general.

All you GGG fan-boys are in for a rude awakening if you think the hype job will walk all over Canelo.

[MENTION=143163]dildildalwalla[/MENTION] Vijender Singh parts ways with Queensberry Promotions who he claims have not delivered on their obligations, I suspect that there has been a disagreement between the parties when it comes to staging fights in India which has lead to a termination of the contract. India is a market which is yet to be penetrated and it's tough to get world level contenders to make the journey there and financially presents some risk but in the long run there is definitely potential. Anyhow I'd have liked for Vijender to announce himself by dominating the domestic scene in the UK and establishing his pedigree before breaking into India, my guess is that he will use his popularity to make a quick buck in the subcontinent before calling it a day.

His amateur pedigree will always be there but he turned pro too late for my liking and am not sure how serious he is about his career.

Joseph Parker has to be the worst HW world champion in history ! [MENTION=131867]London_Lahori[/MENTION] [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION]

He lost to a guy who was his sparring partner for months and only had 2 weeks to train after Hughie pulled out meaning the man did not have a full camp behind him, on top of that he lost by KO to a fighter with 23 losses! what an absolute joke of a fighter Parker is.

I hope Eddie matches Dilian with JP so we can get a unification bout between AJ and Whyte, it would make more money then AJ/JP, wouldn't be a farce involving Bellew (it would hurt the division for a CW to hold a HW belt!, we all know Bellew is not a HW) and the fight itself would have a great build, plus Whyte is an improved fighter ever since the AJ loss and 100% fit so while AJ would be the favourite it is still an interesting fight and Whyte would have respectability as a world title challenger.
I agree, he's horrible and has really wasted the last 2-3 years of his career. But he definitely didn't lose his last fight...

I agree, he's horrible and has really wasted the last 2-3 years of his career. But he definitely didn't lose his last fight...

Look at it how you want but JP lost that fight, his stock has plummeted big time

Hearn just waiting on Wladmir to decide upon whether he will be invoking the rematch clause before Joshua's next move is announced, Pulev is the mandatory so if Wladmir invokes his rematch clause there's a chance that AJ could be stripped off his IBF title; however, there's a chance of a deal being reached providing AJ agrees to fight Pulev after the Wladmir rematch.

If Wladmir decides against invoking his rematch clause then AJ's next fight will be against Pulev who is no bum, a solid solid fighter and top 10 HW; good fight for AJ and his development at this stage of his career.

In fact I rate Pulev more then JP [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION]

Parker needs to relocate to the US and set up camp there under a better trainer then he has now, i think under a good trainer he could be a big force in the HW division, if he remains as he is then he will struggle

Hearn just waiting on Wladmir to decide upon whether he will be invoking the rematch clause before Joshua's next move is announced, Pulev is the mandatory so if Wladmir invokes his rematch clause there's a chance that AJ could be stripped off his IBF title; however, there's a chance of a deal being reached providing AJ agrees to fight Pulev after the Wladmir rematch.

If Wladmir decides against invoking his rematch clause then AJ's next fight will be against Pulev who is no bum, a solid solid fighter and top 10 HW; good fight for AJ and his development at this stage of his career.

In fact I rate Pulev more then JP [MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION]

Pulev would be nothing more then a punch bag for AJ, Pulev was awful against klitscho a few years ago and hasnt improved much since. a pretty pointless fight if AJ had to face a mandatory.

Pulev would be nothing more then a punch bag for AJ, Pulev was awful against klitscho a few years ago and hasnt improved much since. a pretty pointless fight if AJ had to face a mandatory.

He has improved significantly since the Wladmir fight, he's not going to shock AJ but he's a better opponent then everyone AJ has faced barring Wladmir and Whyte; and while there is great depth at the top of the card when it comes to HW's the lower card is not that strong which means Pulev is a genuine top 10 HW and better compared to your Charles Martins, Dominic Brezeales and Joseph Parkers.

Wouldn't expect matchroom to stick AJ in a tough fight after beating Wladmir, they will line up a couple of B level fighters for him to knock over and make a quick/easy/low-risk pay day; it's just how their model works.

There are rumours that Fury/AJ is expected this time next year but am not sure Fury will be the same fighter when he fought Wlad, as it stands the toughest fight for AJ out there is Deontay Wilder; they will book that but not anytime soon, it will get the long build and promotion to ensure maximum returns.

Back