Boxing Thread

Great win for Spence but Kell was weight drained and coming down from a damaging KO loss to GGG so I expected Spence to win, but full credit to Spence however based on that performance am not convinced he can beat the likes of Thurman, Garcia; maybe he"ll be competitive against Porter and Jessie Vargas though

He'll beat anyone. Great fundamentals, accuracy and too explosive for em. Thurman will get wore down just like Brook. Too long and too fast for him.

He'll beat anyone. Great fundamentals, accuracy and too explosive for em. Thurman will get wore down just like Brook. Too long and too fast for him.

Spence is decent at cutting off the ring and has decent power + counter punching ability but the speed and footwork are not there, Thurman is a multi-skilled fighter who can box on the inside and outside, excellent speed, power and superior in-ring IQ. Errol Spence will get better with more experience, there is a lot of room for development but based on the number of fights he has had his progress is excellent

Say what you want Khan but you can never accuse him of a lack of heart, Brook threw in the towel there and quit as much as I hate to say it

Spence is decent at cutting off the ring and has decent power + counter punching ability but the speed and footwork are not there, Thurman is a multi-skilled fighter who can box on the inside and outside, excellent speed, power and superior in-ring IQ. Errol Spence will get better with more experience, there is a lot of room for development but based on the number of fights he has had his progress is excellent
Speed is not there? What you smokin brotha? Errol is faster than Thurman and it will show when they fight. Write it down.

Last edited:
Say what you want Khan but you can never accuse him of a lack of heart, Brook threw in the towel there and quit as much as I hate to say it

Only if Khan was coached well man. He doesn't even how to punch. I don't know which idiot taught him at junior level.

Speed is not there? What you smokin brotha? Errol is faster than Thurman and it will show when they fight. Write it down.

Only if Khan was coached well man. He doesn't even how to punch. I don't know which idiot taught him at junior level.

His speed doesn't compare to any of the other top names in the division you must be drunk to think otherwise. Thurman would destroy him in this moment and is the more seasoned fighter, I pray Khan takes on Spence next with the two being managed by Al haymon it is possible; Khan even past his prime would out box Spence, stylistically Amir Khan is a south paws nightmare. Khan certainly has achieved a lot based on his raw talent but there's no denying he could have benefited from better coaching but he remains a British all time great.

He has an amateur style.

Though Khan is with out a doubt top 10 British ATG this Century.

Around about round 9 I said to myself please Lord give me Spence v Amir Khan, even now Amir past his best would out point Spence; Kell had the right idea but was too weight drained and lacked the speed to keep Spence off him. We all saw what Amir did to Devon Alexander, he is a lot more skilful compared to Spence who is just a bit taller and has more power; that was obviously years ago and in the prime of his career but I honestly believe in my heart of hearts that Khan would do a job on Spence

Feel bad for Kell. I don't agree with Bellow, it wasn't an instictive knee down as he couldn't see. It's also best to take a count and see what happens. Yes he gave up but anyone who watched round 10 knows he aint a quitter.

Spence is an awesome talent, the longer the fight went on the quicker he moved. Great power esp with his body shots. Great chin too.

Feel bad for Kell. I don't agree with Bellow, it wasn't an instictive knee down as he couldn't see. It's also best to take a count and see what happens. Yes he gave up but anyone who watched round 10 knows he aint a quitter.

Spence is an awesome talent, the longer the fight went on the quicker he moved. Great power esp with his body shots. Great chin too.

Kells power was negated by him having been weight drained so Spence could take the punches, he came down from two weight divisions and all Spence needed to do was to be patient and attack the body; inevitably Kell would self destruct. I think it was an instinctive knee, he was hurt with a body shot; sky commies who have a deal with matchroom always twist the narrative although not denying the eye was a problem but it just didn't look that great on kell regardless

[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] the eye wasn't that bad, what GGG did to Brook was still playing on his mind

Look at all these Spence wannabe casual fans come out the moment he wins a world title to jump on the bandwagon and become overnight experts all of a sudden:)) While others have followed his career since the London Olympics

Kells power was negated by him having been weight drained so Spence could take the punches, he came down from two weight divisions and all Spence needed to do was to be patient and attack the body; inevitably Kell would self destruct. I think it was an instinctive knee, he was hurt with a body shot; sky commies who have a deal with matchroom always twist the narrative although not denying the eye was a problem but it just didn't look that great on kell regardless

Yes it doesn't look good esp to novice boxing fans but we both know in this game you sometimes have to give yourself a chance. Kell thought he'd take the knee, regain his vision and go for the KO. It's not his weight for sure, after round 8 it felt like he was fasting all day , totally drained and yes Spence was smart with his body shots.

Spence v Khan would be a great match up. I think Khan with any sort of form is one of the few in this division who could make him look average. But I think Khan will look for Brook next year now for a big Wembley showdown.

Yes it doesn't look good esp to novice boxing fans but we both know in this game you sometimes have to give yourself a chance. Kell thought he'd take the knee, regain his vision and go for the KO. It's not his weight for sure, after round 8 it felt like he was fasting all day , totally drained and yes Spence was smart with his body shots.

Spence v Khan would be a great match up. I think Khan with any sort of form is one of the few in this division who could make him look average. But I think Khan will look for Brook next year now for a big Wembley showdown.

I don't think he intended to get up there so was not giving himself a chance at all, usually you're up around about the count of 6/7 (When you're taking a bit of time), Kell got up around about 8/9 which is when the fighter knows the fight will be stopped; his body was hurt and what GGG did to his eye was playing on his eye at the same time (it wasn't as bad but psychologically it effected him) so he effectively gave up the fight there not that am criticising him for it because I felt his corner should throw in the towel after round 10. He did have plenty of time to get rid of that excess so I don't want to take away from Spence's win but it did play a factor in the defeat.

I think Stylistically Spence is the perfect opponent for Khan, he should take a tune up and let Spence face porter or someone to elevate his profile further in order to set up a big fight between Amir and Spence next year. Not sure if Brook will be able to sell out Wembley after that defeat, his main supporters were casual fans given how he had the reputation for being the tomato can slayer; and casual fans are lost as fast as they are gained

Last edited:
His speed doesn't compare to any of the other top names in the division you must be drunk to think otherwise. Thurman would destroy him in this moment and is the more seasoned fighter, I pray Khan takes on Spence next with the two being managed by Al haymon it is possible; Khan even past his prime would out box Spence, stylistically Amir Khan is a south paws nightmare. Khan certainly has achieved a lot based on his raw talent but there's no denying he could have benefited from better coaching but he remains a British all time great.
We'll see. I'm not sure we're watching the same fighter. Spence has very good foot and hand speed. Only the likes of Pacman and Amir would out-speed him.

Look at all these Spence wannabe casual fans come out the moment he wins a world title to jump on the bandwagon and become overnight experts all of a sudden:)) While others have followed his career since the London Olympics

If that's directed towards me, I've been following Spence's progress for years now.

We'll see. I'm not sure we're watching the same fighter. Spence has very good foot and hand speed. Only the likes of Pacman and Amir would out-speed him.

Relative to some of the bottom ranked fighters in the top 10 at 147 maybe he does but his foot and hand speed are not his best attributes as we saw how much he struggled against Kell in the first 6, he just couldn't measure distance very well and was missing a lot; I've seen him cut off the ring a lot better in the past as well but Kell's boxing ability was tough to negotiate, it's an area for concern for him. He won't get to face a weight drained fighter who has been scarred by GGG everytime. His strengths include power, decent counter punching and pressure; needs to improve his footwork big time and use his jab more; the speed will remain a disadvantage but that doesn't mean he can't win the lineal titles if he improves in other areas over time. He is still inexperienced as a pro so his development will be exciting, Thurman was quiet one dimensional at a similar stage but evolved into a complete fighter. Porter would be a good opponent for Spence in the near future

Relative to some of the bottom ranked fighters in the top 10 at 147 maybe he does but his foot and hand speed are not his best attributes as we saw how much he struggled against Kell in the first 6, he just couldn't measure distance very well and was missing a lot; I've seen him cut off the ring a lot better in the past as well but Kell's boxing ability was tough to negotiate, it's an area for concern for him. He won't get to face a weight drained fighter who has been scarred by GGG everytime. His strengths include power, decent counter punching and pressure; needs to improve his footwork big time and use his jab more; the speed will remain a disadvantage but that doesn't mean he can't win the lineal titles if he improves in other areas over time. He is still inexperienced as a pro so his development will be exciting, Thurman was quiet one dimensional at a similar stage but evolved into a complete fighter. Porter would be a good opponent for Spence in the near future
His mistiming was due to Kell's awkward counter-punching style which he later adapted to like all great fighters do. He realized very quickly that he couldn't just charge in and had to measure and calculate what angles would work against him. The earlier rounds were to observe and test if you will. Spence is an explosive fighter but he's not reckless. You will see him calculate, measure and then strike especially in the earlier rounds but once he's used to his opponent's rhythm, you're at his mercy. Even then, he doesn't go all out because he's ever so observant and calculated.

I'll admit that Errol wasn't at his absolute best in the earlier rounds but that is not surprising considering this was his first fight on the big stage. It was amazing to see him keep his composure despite losing the first few. Never was he shook throughout the fight, he was always in complete control. You didn't see his trainer say much because they came prepared for anything Kell could throw at them. He kept reading him, adapting, reading him, adapting and by the 6th, he had Kell figured out.

Errol's biggest strength are none of his physical attributes or boxing skills which are elite but his composure which is simply unmatched.

Last edited:
I like Thurman very much myself as a fighter. Like Errol, he's a shrewd fighter. But Errol's just got that length and great fundamentally sound defence. It's extremely difficult to find an opening because he covers all areas so well and his patience only tests you further. If or rather when you go look for an opening, he's waiting for that all the time to counter with a body shot and sneak an uppercut which gets you off balance. His close range game is elite.

His mistiming was due to Kell's awkward counter-punching style which he later adapted to like all great fighters do. He realized very quickly that he couldn't just charge in and had to measure and calculate what angles would work against him. The earlier rounds were to observe and test if you will. Spence is an explosive fighter but he's not reckless. You will see him calculate, measure and then strike especially in the earlier rounds but once he's used to his opponent's rhythm, you're at his mercy. Even then, he doesn't go all out because he's ever so observant and calculated.

I'll admit that Errol wasn't at his absolute best in the earlier rounds but that is not surprising considering this was his first fight on the big stage. It was amazing to see him keep his composure despite losing the first few. Never was he shook throughout the fight, he was always in complete control. You didn't see his trainer say much because they came prepared for anything Kell could throw at them. He kept reading him, adapting, reading him, adapting and by the 6th, he had Kell figured out.

Errol's biggest strength are none of his physical attributes or boxing skills which are elite but his composure which is simply unmatched.

I like Thurman very much myself as a fighter. Like Errol, he's a shrewd fighter. But Errol's just got that length and great fundamentally sound defence. It's extremely difficult to find an opening because he covers all areas so well and his patience only tests you further. If or rather when you go look for an opening, he's waiting for that all the time to counter with a body shot and sneak an uppercut which gets you off balance. His close range game is elite.

It's not something which he adopted to entirely because Kell's weight, fatigue and mental scarring were big factors, I had Brook ahead up until the 8th round. Brook's Boxing ability just did not allow Spence to get into a rhythm, taking a beating does not equate to reading/measuring your opponent as we saw in Round 3 where Spence did attempt to change the pace and charge in with his pressure but he was very reckless and Kell was picking him off with his Jab all night; to his credit he settled down and was more effective with his counters as Kell began to slow down; in Spence's own words he was very slugghish and gave himself a B- so there's not much else for you to praise that performance overly but I'll agree with you on his composure which excellent for someone so inexperienced.

Errol has that length which means there's more torque behind his power punches but beyond that he doesn't utilize his reach that well given how he doesn't use his Jab as much, a big area for improvement which will do wonders for all round game. His defence is sound and the fundamentals are there, if he is to progress further he needs to use his Jab more, slip punches/move-head better and improve his footwork; based on that performance Thurman would beat him, but Errol has the potential to further hone his craft and become a better fighter.

He didn't use the upper cut on the inside as much and got caught too much for my liking given that is was challenging to deal with Brook's speed and footwork who was able to get out of range but he looked great countering against Brook's aggression in the second half. The Jury is still out on Spence and I expect him to get better with time but as it stands I'll say that he is the best finisher at 147, even better then Thurman; when he smells Blood the guy just puts you away in a jiffy

RIP [MENTION=133972]shaykh[/MENTION] SpecialK's biggest fan I don't think we'll ever see you in this thread again :))) They should change Kell's name to SpecialQ, Q for QUITTER.

10 YEARS OF FIGHTING 30 BUMS, Slams Amir Khan's for his incredible resume but then out of the 3 decent opponents he faces in his career Kell quits against 2 of those :))) ; Kelly SpecialQ Brook, the greatest BRITISH BOXING FRAUD of all time [MENTION=396]mani1[/MENTION] a bigger fraud then Audley Harrison

[MENTION=141557]Chief Destroyer[/MENTION] big mistake by team khan to not ruthlessly pursue the Kell fight in hindsight, he would have been the IBF world champion on this night. I understand their concerns regarding the split which was unfair but they could have taken advantage of Kell's lack of heart, fatigue and weight drainage. I've always said Kell would have the edge due to Khan being past his peak and generally very inactive but on that night he would have beaten both Kell and Spence based on their performances and external factors when it came to Kell as well

The moment Khan was not moving on the canvas Kell Brook tweeted some seriously disgusting comments which I will not post here but this was Khan last night:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I got beat in the war I had with Canelo, Brook showed no respect! but I wish him and his family all best and hope he has no serious injury</p>— Amir Khan (@amirkingkhan) <a href="https://twitter.com/amirkingkhan/status/868609911957184512">27 May 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Beyond me why people always chat so much crap about Amir, he's had one hell of a career, does great charity beyond the ring and always defends our communities; he's had a few personal incidents with a few women but he's just a standard british lad but is now married. I really don't know what there is to dislike about him, yes he makes some overly confident comments with regards to his boxing career but that same confidence made him who he is, an Olympic Silver Medalist who became a champion in the pro ranks that did not sit at home with his world title belt like kell, he hunted the big names in America and can never be accused of ducking anyone or a lack of heart. [MENTION=136193]Adil_94[/MENTION]

RIP [MENTION=133972]shaykh[/MENTION] SpecialK's biggest fan I don't think we'll ever see you in this thread again :))) They should change Kell's name to SpecialQ, Q for QUITTER.

10 YEARS OF FIGHTING 30 BUMS, Slams Amir Khan's for his incredible resume but then out of the 3 decent opponents he faces in his career Kell quits against 2 of those :))) ; Kelly SpecialQ Brook, the greatest BRITISH BOXING FRAUD of all time [MENTION=396]mani1[/MENTION] a bigger fraud then Audley Harrison

The thing is an I have been saying it for years Brook was one of the most carefully managed fighters around it took him over a decade to fight a puncher with some skill and the first one he fought at welter he quit.

Brook looks real good coming forward bet when he gets it back he doesnt like it.

Carson Jones 1 was the perfect example.Carson is just a journeyman and he had Brook going.
I might be alone thinking this but Brook was real lucky to win that fight.

Hearn then spinned it as he didn't work out properly Carson broke his nose he was out on his feat and showed heart etc

I didnt see Carson get any 10 - 8 rounds etc. Broken noses are standard practice in boxing Khan had his broken against Maidana.

The real man who won last night was Al Haymon, what a stable of fighters and amazing match ups he can make at 147 !

The names he is acquainted with at 147 include:

Keith Thurman
Danny Garcia
Errol Spence
Shawn Porter
Amir Khan
Lamont Peterson

The thing is an I have been saying it for years Brook was one of the most carefully managed fighters around it took him over a decade to fight a puncher with some skill and the first one he fought at welter he quit.

Brook looks real good coming forward bet when he gets it back he doesnt like it.

Carson Jones 1 was the perfect example.Carson is just a journeyman and he had Brook going.
I might be alone thinking this but Brook was real lucky to win that fight.

Hearn then spinned it as he didn't work out properly Carson broke his nose he was out on his feat and showed heart etc

I didnt see Carson get any 10 - 8 rounds etc. Broken noses are standard practice in boxing Khan had his broken against Maidana.

I agree which is why they did the rematch, he was always a big boogeyman for Kell; who knows we may get part 3, casuals may even pay for it. He does have ability but the man as you say doesn't take it so well when he gets it back

[MENTION=396]mani1[/MENTION] [MENTION=131867]London_Lahori[/MENTION] [MENTION=136193]Adil_94[/MENTION]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">How can you quit in the 11 rd in front of 27,000 of your fans. Smh</p>— Gervonta Davis (@Gervontaa) <a href="https://twitter.com/Gervontaa/status/868597704619950081">27 May 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tony Bellew during the sky broadcast:

"I'm disappointed. It's tough to watch - it was like the fight was beaten out of Kell.

"I love Kell to bits, but you can't do that. You've got to bite down on the gum shield. He can end that fight with one punch - you have to keep going until you can't go any more, I have been down and Amir Khan has been down but we never quit.

"What I'm saying is he had the fight beaten out of him. You've got to remember he's been through a bad injury. He's probably think in the back of his mind 'I could go blind if I don't do this...'

"But you have to expel all those things from your mind. We are fighters, warriors, freaks, whatever you want to call us. But you have to fight until you have no fight left in you."

IFLTV:

I agree which is why they did the rematch, he was always a big boogeyman for Kell; who knows we may get part 3, casuals may even pay for it. He does have ability but the man as you say doesn't take it so well when he gets it back

Plus he has no where lwft to go other than Khan.
At 154 he would get slaughtered . He would have no size advantage and guys like Lara and Andrade are much mure skilled than him.

I would even favour a guy like Vanes to torture him.

Plus he has no where lwft to go other than Khan.
At 154 he would get slaughtered . He would have no size advantage and guys like Lara and Andrade are much mure skilled than him.

I would even favour a guy like Vanes to torture him.

Safe to say Khan is the only option left and it all makes sense now why he chased that big pay day all those years because he wanted to cash out against a bigger name then him and with Amir being a fellow Brit there was a lot of demand due to all the casuals going on hype for Kell thanks to the matchroom marketing and hate for Amir so there's a lot of money to be made but not as much now after the manner of this defeat but it will still do good numbers. Kell said he can make 147 again after the fight but am not sure he can and like you say going to 154 will be suicidal, matchroom will probably pursue a catch-weight bout against Khan at 150 and it remains to be seen if Amir accepts that; I don't think he will but with the right offer he just might

[MENTION=396]mani1[/MENTION] there could be a career for Kell at 154 in terms of the domestic scene but not as much beyond that, there's Liam Smith, Liam Williams and Gary Corcoran; would bring back the Carson Jones glory days.

I had a debate with shaykh in this thread when Brook first came to prominence after winning the title. I watched the fight and thought Shawn Porter looked pretty ordinary for a world champ. Shaykh was one of those who insisted he was a good fighter, but I couldn't see it. Kell's a game fighter with a good chin, but he has no special ability, and a good boxer with a chin was always going to win against him.

I had a debate with shaykh in this thread when Brook first came to prominence after winning the title. I watched the fight and thought Shawn Porter looked pretty ordinary for a world champ. Shaykh was one of those who insisted he was a good fighter, but I couldn't see it. Kell's a game fighter with a good chin, but he has no special ability, and a good boxer with a chin was always going to win against him.

Shawn Porter is decent and better then his performance against Kell but I had that fight a lot closer then the judges cards and many had Porter winning, see Porter/Thurman to see how decent Porter is; problem with Porter was that he never gave Kell any respect and hunted the KO all night but Kell repeatedly held on to him every time he came in close to unleash a flurry; those tactics were crucial in him getting the win but I was surprised the American judges gave it to him. Kell has decent talent but his biggest kryptonite is his lack of heart, I don't think he should fight again due the reservations he has and the fact that he held the IBF world title hostage at home, made excuses and refused to hunt big names explains it all now really.

His promoter has done a terrific job in getting him this far though and no doubt he is financially set for life

The funny thing is after Julio Diaz signed to fight Khan. Eddie Hearn called him a "Shot blown up feather fisted lightweight" This was after I and many others thought he had beaten Porter but officially got a draw.

Then Porter went on to beat a further past it Diaz in a still very competitive fight. Blasted out a shot Paulie whom Khan had stopped years earlier at his prime weight, even then many of Khan's detractors were claiming Paulie had lost his legs and beat Alexander a guy whom was very badly exposed by Kotelnik in his home Town and Khan went on to win every round against him.

Yet Porter is and was being talked about as some elite fighter.

Shawn Porter is decent and better then his performance against Kell but I had that fight a lot closer then the judges cards and many had Porter winning, see Porter/Thurman to see how decent Porter is; problem with Porter was that he never gave Kell any respect and hunted the KO all night but Kell repeatedly held on to him every time he came in close to unleash a flurry; those tactics were crucial in him getting the win but I was surprised the American judges gave it to him. Kell has decent talent but his biggest kryptonite is his lack of heart, I don't think he should fight again due the reservations he has and the fact that he held the IBF world title hostage at home, made excuses and refused to hunt big names explains it all now really.

His promoter has done a terrific job in getting him this far though and no doubt he is financially set for life

I don't follow boxing as closely as I used to so that was my only sighting of Porter. I just saw a brawler throwing wild punches and getting beaten to the punch by Brook who himself didn't look that special. In my book a good boxer doesn't lose in such a stupid fashion. I thought Brooks was worth the win on the night, but neither looked like world champion material.

The funny thing is after Julio Diaz signed to fight Khan. Eddie Hearn called him a "Shot blown up feather fisted lightweight" This was after I and many others thought he had beaten Porter but officially got a draw.

Then Porter went on to beat a further past it Diaz in a still very competitive fight. Blasted out a shot Paulie whom Khan had stopped years earlier at his prime weight, even then many of Khan's detractors were claiming Paulie had lost his legs and beat Alexander a guy whom was very badly exposed by Kotelnik in his home Town and Khan went on to win every round against him.

This is a good point, I recall discussing it with Shaykh but he ignored the fact that Diaz had done quiet well against Porter. Diaz btw was a tune up for Khan as well but he was still a former world champion and no bum, Khan had to get off the canvas to save his career; I think Kell would have quit in the same scenario. People also criticised Khan facing Collazo, the same guy who Keith Thurman struggled against big time but looked like an amateur against Khan.

I don't follow boxing as closely as I used to so that was my only sighting of Porter. I just saw a brawler throwing wild punches and getting beaten to the punch by Brook who himself didn't look that special. In my book a good boxer doesn't lose in such a stupid fashion. I thought Brooks was worth the win on the night, but neither looked like world champion material.

He was overly reckless in that fight but it's just his style that pressure, Hatton fought in a similar fashion but had better footwork. I still rate Porter as a top 10 at 147 name and he pushed Keith Thurman to the limit although admittedly Keith is a lot more rounded now.

[MENTION=396]mani1[/MENTION] after watching these performances I think in recent times I've been overly critical of Amir Khan, I still believe he is past his peak but I can see him doing a job on the following fighters at 147:

Vargas
Peterson
Garcia
Brook
Spence
Bradley
Manny Pac-Man
Floyd Mayweather

What do you think? and who do you want him to fight next

Maybe he was an elite, fighter, the one I saw in the ring against Brook certainly didn't look it. I don't have anything against pure brawlers, in my book GGG isn't technically brilliant, his movement is slow, but he can sure punch. Even then I thought he lost the fight against Jacobs who just looked a better all round fighter. But Golovkin's the star with the name and he got to keep the belt.

[MENTION=396]mani1[/MENTION] after watching these performances I think in recent times I've been overly critical of Amir Khan, I still believe he is past his peak but I can see him doing a job on the following fighters at 147:

Vargas
Peterson
Garcia
Brook
Spence
Bradley
Manny Pac-Man
Floyd Mayweather

What do you think? and who do you want him to fight next

To be honest with you I think Pac and Floyd would still beat him easy. The others are 50/50 due to Khan's lack of power, chin and boxing IQ

As for whom he should fight next this depends on how active he is going to be if he is only going to fight once a year again then it depends because Garcia could splatter him again, and that would be the end.

If he is to be more active then Peterson, Garcia, Pac if he wins and makes his name relevant the fight could be on the table as the money would be there.

To be honest with you I think Pac and Floyd would still beat him easy. The others are 50/50 due to Khan's lack of power, chin and boxing IQ

As for whom he should fight next this depends on how active he is going to be if he is only going to fight once a year again then it depends because Garcia could splatter him again, and that would be the end.

If he is to be more active then Peterson, Garcia, Pac if he wins and makes his name relevant the fight could be on the table as the money would be there.

His punch resistance is suspect but his defensive lapses are his biggest weaknesses or else he'd have been taken apart by Maidana and having a knack for getting caught flush, he got up each time he was KO'd apart from the time Canelo hit him who was 30lb heavier; with regards to the Garcia and Prescott fights his training camp was god awful and there was in-fighting among management in the lead up. The power has declined a bit but at his peak it wasn't to be taken lightly at 140 and the body punching was seriously underrated, the IQ is not great at all though and he could have benefited from better coaching early on in his career given that the man has achieved a lot based on raw talent thus far then anything else. My concern with him now is his inactivity more then anything else and he also seems to think he can get into a big fight without a tune up. Styles make fight and Amir would be a nightmare for Floyd or any southpaw even if it's Manny who btw has not stopped anyone for 8 years. I'd say a tune up and then face Garcia, avenge your defeat to set up a big fight with Thurman or anyone else who has a world title belt

Virgil Hunter has made some decent tweaks to Khan's all round game but nothing drastic stylistically, he is more patient now, defence is tighter, will clinch when required and has better control over his work rate.

I think mani1 has hit the nail on the head about Khan's boxing IQ. Someone with his speed and reach should be able to mostly avoid getting hit if he was a bit smarter. He gets drawn into too many brawls when he should be able to stay out of range against most guys he fights.

I think mani1 has hit the nail on the head about Khan's boxing IQ. Someone with his speed and reach should be able to mostly avoid getting hit if he was a bit smarter. He gets drawn into too many brawls when he should be able to stay out of range against most guys he fights.

If Khan's career had been managed better he would be an all time great but he remains a British Boxing legend. When Khan made his debut the most fundamental aspect was to develop his in-ring IQ and build him up slowly but his team cared for the quick buck and did not think about the long term, Khan was in the spotlight from the moment he made his debut and they had Oliver Harrison manage his career who is decent but not someone who had the tools to hone Amir's exceptional raw talent. The likes of Jimmy Tibbs and Emanual Steward would have been much better as a part of his team to handle an 18 year old when it came to making the best career moves for Amir and developing his ring intelligence.

I have Amir's biography which was released just after the Olympics in 04 mind you! and in the foreword you had Barry McGuigan comparing Amir's talent to the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson! it sums up his career in a way because it just goes to show that the spolight can have a detrimental effect on your progress as well because he was rushed to the main-event level too soon and changed multiple trainers along the way with so much in-fighting amongst his team as well it was all a big shambles but at the same time that comment by Barry also highlights the potential Amir had, Khan has had a great career but it could have been so much better.

[MENTION=396]mani1[/MENTION] I just remembered, someone in Kell's corner mentioned Jake Lamotta as he walked out for the 11th am not sure if you picked up on this :))) and just after taking a beating in the 10th Round Kell returned to his corner with his arm raised, I think he had completely lost it at that point :amir3

Bellew who is a matchroom fighter under the same stable as his friend Kell couldn't help keep his feelings inside and didn't spew the typical gibberish to casual fanbase and I respect him for that.

As Tony Bellew said "You can't stop" Kell has 2 eyes. People box on and win with 1 eye totally closed. He QUIT! heck Haye had more reason to take a knee and ask the ref to stop the fight recently against Tony but fought on ONE LEG ! I repeat ONE LEG !

Folk repeatedly mentioning GGG but I think Kell never fully recovered from the beating Carson Jones gave him

Brook V Khan would still generate plenty of interest.

Khan in any form should be too good for him. Something which I wrote on this thread many pages back.

But he has to prove it in the squared circle. This fight has to take place next year!

Brook V Khan would still generate plenty of interest.

Khan in any form should be too good for him. Something which I wrote on this thread many pages back.

But he has to prove it in the squared circle. This fight has to take place next year!

To be honest both fighters are pretty much done, so may as well fight each other and retire; otherwise am not really interested in seeing them box again. Where else can Kell go? he would get damaged seriously at 154 and can no longer make weight at 147, where will Amir go? he is under Al Haymon and there are options but he has been inactive for over a year, past his best years and the desire isn't there being someone who made his pro debut at the age of 18 so the chances are another KO loss is possible so what's the point now may as well just carry on with the philanthropy which is where his heart is most of the time

[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] they should fight Birmingham NEC or NIA Arena, they can forget about Wembley

To be honest both fighters are pretty much done, so may as well fight each other and retire; otherwise am not really interested in seeing them box again. Where else can Kell go? he would get damaged seriously at 154 and can no longer make weight at 147, where will Amir go? he is under Al Haymon and there are options but he has been inactive for over a year, past his best years and the desire isn't there being someone who made his pro debut at the age of 18 so the chances are another KO loss is possible so what's the point now may as well just carry on with the philanthropy which is where his heart is most of the time

Brook is pretty much finished with big fights unless it's against Khan. Khan used to fight at 140 so doesn't have the same issue of making 147 as Brook does. Khan just hasn't fought enough in the last few years but when he did fight he still looked sharp enough, the hand speed hasn't diminished tbf. Look at Pacman , he's much older but still fighting and making good money. I think Khan needs a fight at 147 against either Danny Garcia, who has come off his first loss or perhaps Peterson, both re-matches would generate good interest and both will bring Khan back up to the bigtime, if he wins which he should.

It depends when they fight bro, if it's the next fight then Wembley is too much but if they both have wins , then O2 and even Wembley is not our of the question. Khan is a massive name in the UK and US even now. One good win and he can headline in Vegas again.

Kell Brook is a quitter and he'll have gone down a lot in the estimations of boxing fans.

You hear the people at Sky, Bellew aside peddling the ow if you can't see you can't fight line. Tell that to Paulie Malignaggi who fought 11 rounds with a broken orbital bone against Miguel Cotto.

Brook is pretty much finished with big fights unless it's against Khan. Khan used to fight at 140 so doesn't have the same issue of making 147 as Brook does. Khan just hasn't fought enough in the last few years but when he did fight he still looked sharp enough, the hand speed hasn't diminished tbf. Look at Pacman , he's much older but still fighting and making good money. I think Khan needs a fight at 147 against either Danny Garcia, who has come off his first loss or perhaps Peterson, both re-matches would generate good interest and both will bring Khan back up to the bigtime, if he wins which he should.

It depends when they fight bro, if it's the next fight then Wembley is too much but if they both have wins , then O2 and even Wembley is not our of the question. Khan is a massive name in the UK and US even now. One good win and he can headline in Vegas again.

He has spoken of Peterson, all depends on if Al Haymon will make the fight but Khan wants to face him in November no tune up or anything like that. Peterson also holds the WBA regular world championship. Not sure if Garcia will want to fight Khan given how lucky they were the first time, stylistically Amir is a nightmare for Danny. Peterson is more likely and he'll take heart from the fact that he was competitive last time round even if he was roided up and got help from the ref. Should Khan face Peterson next then or would you advice a tune up bout first?

Kell/Khan is likely no doubt, think we will defo see it in 2018

Nevada State Commision has approved Moneyteams application for the August 26 date for a possible Mayweather vs McGregor bout.

Both fighters have been training for a while so camp shouldn't be a problem. The promotion will be more exciting than the actual fight that is the only thing that I am looking forward to.

Nevada State Commision has approved Moneyteams application for the August 26 date for a possible Mayweather vs McGregor bout.

Both fighters have been training for a while so camp shouldn't be a problem. The promotion will be more exciting than the actual fight that is the only thing that I am looking forward to.

It's a damn insult to boxing, Floyd set boxing behind 10 years after his disgraceful performance in the Manny fight then AJ/Wlad helped elevate the sport once again and now Floyd is going to tarnish Boxing's reputation once again. Casuals will pay silly money and the fight will be a joke, once these people hold a certain view of the sport it takes a while to get them back again, it also hinders his legacy; why on earth would you face Conor Mcgregor when there are top welters at 147 in the likes of Thurman, Spence, Khan or even a rematch with Manny. He complains about a lack of respect from the boxing world when it comes to his achievements but he doesn't really help himself.

But since it is going to happen no doubt, Floyd has to knock out that punk in the first round hopefully. Boxing's honour is on the line, if Conor is remotely competitive our sport will be berated emphatically and all those who follow it will also have to bare the shame.

It's a damn insult to boxing, Floyd set boxing behind 10 years after his disgraceful performance in the Manny fight then AJ/Wlad helped elevate the sport once again and now Floyd is going to tarnish Boxing's reputation once again. Casuals will pay silly money and the fight will be a joke, once these people hold a certain view of the sport it takes a while to get them back again, it also hinders his legacy; why on earth would you face Conor Mcgregor when there are top welters at 147 in the likes of Thurman, Spence, Khan or even a rematch with Manny. He complains about a lack of respect from the boxing world when it comes to his achievements but he doesn't really help himself.

But since it is going to happen no doubt, Floyd has to knock out that punk in the first round hopefully. Boxing's honour is on the line, if Conor is remotely competitive our sport will be berated emphatically and all those who follow it will also have to bare the shame.

I think most rationale people except maybe a few kids or casuals understand that this nothing but a cash grap its almost like a WWE event so I don't think it will have any impact on boxing or MMA. By the time Canelo vs GGG fight approaches all will be forgotten.

Mayweather will feel Conor for the first 3 to 4 rounds to give it a hint of legimacy than will embarass McGregor. There is really no other possible outcome. Anyone who believes Conor can knockout or even land a clean punch to Mayweathers head is drinking some serious kool-aid and clearly has very little idea about boxing.

I think most rationale people except maybe a few kids or casuals understand that this nothing but a cash grap its almost like a WWE event so I don't think it will have any impact on boxing or MMA. By the time Canelo vs GGG fight approaches all will be forgotten.

Mayweather will feel Conor for the first 3 to 4 rounds to give it a hint of legimacy than will embarass McGregor. There is really no other possible outcome. Anyone who believes Conor can knockout or even land a clean punch to Mayweathers head is drinking some serious kool-aid and clearly has very little idea about boxing.

Well I hope so it is forgotten but if the whole thing ends up being a big farce then the damage could be a lot more long term. But it is good that GGG/Canelo is scheduled the following month.

He shouldn't play around, I want him to take him out in the first round and make it spectacular at the same time; maybe not hit him too hard at first, cause a couple of knockdowns see if he can get up, just embarrass him that way make him get of the canvas and then pummel him. Floyd has to fight like he use to when he was 25-0.

[MENTION=1080]miandadrules[/MENTION]

Thoughts on:

Conor Mcgregor v Floyd (booked for August)

Ward v Kovalev 2 (who will win? it will air Sunday night)

And these fights which have already occurred:

Thurman v Garcia

Spence v Brook

Anyone watch Ward v Kovalev 2 ?

It was a competitive fight but the stoppage was a little controversial, during the second phase Ward rhythm was in full flow and he was totally dominating Kovalev, this would break his spirit but along the way he'd sneak in a few low blows. Then in round 8 Ward would hit Kovalev with another low blow but the ref would rule it a legal blow, Ward would then land a clean right with his entire weight behind it with had Kovalev reeling; Ward would then target the body with a few of those punches allegedly being deemed low or borderline low / on the belt. The ref would then stop the fight and Kovalev would go out on his feet.

I think that Ward's right hand did most of the damage and Kovalev didn't have much left in the tank which is why the ref was forced to stop the fight because he kept crunching low allegedly due to "low blows" and was not throwing anything back.

Assuming Kovalev 10 seconds before fight was stopped was genuinely hurt by low blows, it is worth asking the question did they cause so much damage that he couldn't defend himself or throw anything back? Ward had previously targeted the body heavily to set him up for that crunching right which did most of the damage.

It's a damn shame that the fight would be looked upon by a fair amount as being controversial because Ward deserves the mantle of being the no.1 P4P fighter on the planet, what kind of a fighter are you that a bunch of low blows made you quit? assuming the ones towards the end were legitimate. The ref stopped the fight and many may call it premature but Kovalev just didn't look like he wanted to fight on to be honest.

[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] [MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION] [MENTION=131867]London_Lahori[/MENTION] [MENTION=94399]Speedster1[/MENTION]

[MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]

I haven't watched it yet or read about it. So didn't read past your first line. :inti

I will watch it tonight. :)

Cool let me know when you have finished watching it ;)

It was a great fight again. Kovalev clearly learnt his reach could be a great advantage and used the jab well. Ward didn't hold back either, he gave back as good as he got.

The stoppage wasn't correct imo. Kovalev wasn't even dropped to the floor, he was hurt for sure but was in a defensive pose waiting for the round to end. Tony Weeks was poor and not for the first time, he should have taken a point off Ward for the low blow after already warning him previously. This would have stopped Ward from going downstairs they way he did. It was difficult to tell from the footage but at least one of those body shots was illegal.

He deserves another re-match. I feel sorry for him but Ward is a great boxer.

It was a great fight again. Kovalev clearly learnt his reach could be a great advantage and used the jab well. Ward didn't hold back either, he gave back as good as he got.

The stoppage wasn't correct imo. Kovalev wasn't even dropped to the floor, he was hurt for sure but was in a defensive pose waiting for the round to end. Tony Weeks was poor and not for the first time, he should have taken a point off Ward for the low blow after already warning him previously. This would have stopped Ward from going downstairs they way he did. It was difficult to tell from the footage but at least one of those body shots was illegal.

He deserves another re-match. I feel sorry for him but Ward is a great boxer.

Yeah am not sure what to make of the stoppage am in two minds but I can't respect anyone blaming low blows for their defeat, you're a damn warrior man; come on dude! and that right caused most of the damage anyhow, he looked to be out of gas if am honest and in the post match interview was not keen on pushing for a rematch either. It's a damn shame the fight ended that way because there will be ? on Ward when he deserves all the praise in the world imo

Problem for me is that while that stoppge may seem premature, Kovalev kept crouching down overly without defending himself adequately and was not throwing anything back, he had done it more then once and was complaining to the ref who deemed the blows to be illegal so when he went back to the crouching etc and wanting the ref to intervene the ref was in a difficult position and forced to stop the fight because Kovalev was not in a position to continue any further because Ward was relentlessly targeting his

There were some illegal blows and Ward has been a master of concealing a few as well and while I sympathise with Kovalev to an extent he did look out on his feet at times as well especially after that right in the final round

Yeah am not sure what to make of the stoppage am in two minds but I can't respect anyone blaming low blows for their defeat, you're a damn warrior man; come on dude! and that right caused most of the damage anyhow, he looked to be out of gas if am honest and in the post match interview was not keen on pushing for a rematch either. It's a damn shame the fight ended that way because there will be ? on Ward when he deserves all the praise in the world imo

Problem for me is that while that stoppge may seem premature, Kovalev kept crouching down overly without defending himself adequately and was not throwing anything back, he had done it more then once and was complaining to the ref who deemed the blows to be illegal so when he went back to the crouching etc and wanting the ref to intervene the ref was in a difficult position and forced to stop the fight because Kovalev was not in a position to continue any further because Ward was relentlessly targeting his

There were some illegal blows and Ward has been a master of concealing a few as well and while I sympathise with Kovalev to an extent he did look out on his feet at times as well especially after that right in the final round

Both were world champions so as a ref you have to let it continue. It's also harder to knocked down by bodyshots and although you are right to say Kovalev wasn't defending himself adequately , he didn't look like falling to the ground. The ref should understand there is a lot on stake here, fans around the world have tuned in many paid a lot of money to watch the fight live. Kovalev was also up on the scorecard by many observers! Dont ruin a good contest by a pre-mature stoppage, ruined it for me.

Both were world champions so as a ref you have to let it continue. It's also harder to knocked down by bodyshots and although you are right to say Kovalev wasn't defending himself adequately , he didn't look like falling to the ground. The ref should understand there is a lot on stake here, fans around the world have tuned in many paid a lot of money to watch the fight live. Kovalev was also up on the scorecard by many observers! Dont ruin a good contest by a pre-mature stoppage, ruined it for me.

I don't know if it was premature, I agree that a lot was on the line something more conclusive should have resulted in the stoppage but at the end of the day we're just fans, the ref is always in the best position to decide and see things we can't, going by Kovalev's eyes though personally feel he had enough. He just kept crouching down and the ref was not going to listen to any of his grievances, so to prevent further damage the ref stopped the fight; I seriously think he'd have been KO'd either way had the ref not intervened at that stage.

I wouldn't mind a rematch because I know Ward can beat him conclusively and want to see that but I doubt they will face him again, I had Ward up by a round in the last fight as well and now he got the stopapge although somewhat controversial. Ward indicated he will move up in weight, Stevenson hopefully has grown a pair and fights Kovalev

I don't know if it was premature, I agree that a lot was on the line something more conclusive should have resulted in the stoppage but at the end of the day we're just fans, the ref is always in the best position to decide and see things we can't, going by Kovalev's eyes though personally feel he had enough. He just kept crouching down and the ref was not going to listen to any of his grievances, so to prevent further damage the ref stopped the fight; I seriously think he'd have been KO'd either way had the ref not intervened at that stage.

I wouldn't mind a rematch because I know Ward can beat him conclusively and want to see that but I doubt they will face him again, I had Ward up by a round in the last fight as well and now he got the stopapge although somewhat controversial. Ward indicated he will move up in weight, Stevenson hopefully has grown a pair and fights Kovalev

I think if there was more time on the clock, Kovalev would have been knocked out but with only 30 seconds left, he was trying to hang in there. In between rounds fighters who are physically strong often recover really well.

Having just watched a better angle, the final shot before the ref stopped the fight does look very low. Tony Weeks allowed a previous low blow to go unpunished before the right which did the damage. The more I think about it , the more I feel it was poor referring and a bad stoppage.

https://twitter.com/streetfitebanch/status/876289907655938049/photo/1

I think if there was more time on the clock, Kovalev would have been knocked out but with only 30 seconds left, he was trying to hang in there. In between rounds fighters who are physically strong often recover really well.

Having just watched a better angle, the final shot before the ref stopped the fight does look very low. Tony Weeks allowed a previous low blow to go unpunished before the right which did the damage. The more I think about it , the more I feel it was poor referring and a bad stoppage.

https://twitter.com/streetfitebanch/status/876289907655938049/photo/1

You also have to respect fighters who are dirty but also able to remain deceptive (Holyfield) not everything was low, majority were borderline with 1-2 legit illegal shots with Ward concealing those quiet well and potentially towards the end as well. Perhaps you can call it poor refing but I also put it down to Ward's crafty genius as well. 30 seconds is still a lot of time a lot of damage can be caused in that time, it's a case of what if'ts and buts now though

Last edited:
You also have to respect fighters who are dirty but also able to remain deceptive (Holyfield) not everything was low, majority were borderline with 1-2 legit illegal shots with Ward concealing those quiet well and potentially towards the end as well. Perhaps you can call it poor refing but I also put it down to Ward's crafty genius as well. 30 seconds is still a lot of time a lot of damage can be caused in that time, it's a case of what if'ts and buts now though

Look it's all subjective.

If you click on the twitter link you will see a good angle of the final shot. Do you feel that was a legitimate shot?

Look it's all subjective.

If you click on the twitter link you will see a good angle of the final shot. Do you feel that was a legitimate shot?

Hard to say it looks borderline but maybe he got caught a little lower, I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch either way because both put on some very physical and intense battles; great to watch.

Kovalev btw gave Ward a lot of credit:

http://www.boxingscene.com/kovalev-ward-better-i-fought-two-people-ring--117773

He said Ward was better but expressed disappointment over the ref, fair play to him

Last edited:
[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] another matchroom fighter quits in a big fight, Ohara Davies turned his back during the 7th against the talented and gifted Josh Taylor

[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] another matchroom fighter quits in a big fight, Ohara Davies turned his back during the 7th against the talented and gifted Josh Taylor

Not watched it but just read the BBC report and it says the ref stopped the fight. Why did Davies turn his back, was he injured?

Not watched it but just read the BBC report and it says the ref stopped the fight. Why did Davies turn his back, was he injured?

No lol I have no idea what happened, he was just outclassed thoroughly and did a no mass, basically the ref only stepped in and stopped it because Taylor started punching Davies even when he had turned his back, but that was Davies fault because you must protect yourself at all times; no.1 rule in boxing

No lol I have no idea what happened, he was just outclassed thoroughly and did a no mass, basically the ref only stepped in and stopped it because Taylor started punching Davies even when he had turned his back, but that was Davies fault because you must protect yourself at all times; no.1 rule in boxing

Sure you can be hurt in the ring but your instincts as a fighter should make you carry on. He needs to watch some Morales v Barrera and see how much punishment can be taken.

Can't believe I watched the Mayweather McGregor press conference. The amount of foul language on display was too much, esp since boxing is now followed by children.

I'm looking forward to Eubank Jr. v Arthur Abraham, although Abraham isn't the fighter he once was, he should put up a decent challenge to Eubank. [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]

Back