Boxing Thread

I hope he recovers, terrible news; I think Spence is a great guy with the right mindset but question his circle of friends big time, doesn't need to be around bums like Broner among others, they are a negative influence

Every boxer should learn from the life of Iron Mike.

Seems he will be ok but I hope he boxes again, we need to see such rare talents in the ring.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From what I’m hearing from those who would know, he’s in better shape than you would think and should make a full recovery. And I don’t know any details or more than that, but thank God. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/boxing?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#boxing</a></p>— Lou DiBella (@loudibella) <a href="https://twitter.com/loudibella/status/1182286365695922182?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 10, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]

I viewed the Hagler-Leonard fight and can honestly say, Leonard wins.

Haggler lost in the first four rounds by coming out orthodox.

His only weakness was his insecurity and Leonard exploited it by planting the seed of “Hagler does not receive the credit he is due as a boxer” during the press conferences and Hagler bought it saying “I might outbox him” at the last press conference.

Hagler often let his opponents set the pace of the match and let the myth surrounding his opponents get the better of him. Examples include Duran (fighting on the inside) and Leonard (orthodox stance).

The only time he didn’t was against Hearns because he got underneath his skin.

Nonetheless, Marvelous Marvin Hagler was the best out of the Fab 4 for me.

What a fight Hagler v. Monzon would have been!

[MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]

I viewed the Hagler-Leonard fight and can honestly say, Leonard wins.

Haggler lost in the first four rounds by coming out orthodox.

His only weakness was his insecurity and Leonard exploited it by planting the seed of “Hagler does not receive the credit he is due as a boxer” during the press conferences and Hagler bought it saying “I might outbox him” at the last press conference.

Hagler often let his opponents set the pace of the match and let the myth surrounding his opponents get the better of him. Examples include Duran (fighting on the inside) and Leonard (orthodox stance).

The only time he didn’t was against Hearns because he got underneath his skin.

Nonetheless, Marvelous Marvin Hagler was the best out of the Fab 4 for me.

What a fight Hagler v. Monzon would have been!

You've given me a reason to check it out once more! but looking back I also leaned towards Leonard. Arguably the most polarising fight ever and both fighters had extremely loyal fan bases who would never see another way. I can't disagree with the sentiment that any success Leonard had in that fight was going to be a big deal in the eyes of judges as it was a David v Goliath scenario with Leonard having been inactive and also rumoured to have been seriously hurt by much bigger sparring partners. It took Hagler a while to find his range and Leonard was excellent with his speed, movement and durability especially in the championship rounds he still had his legs under him

Wont be another Prince Naz but looks a good talent.

The maverick has quite the following already especially around the midlands area! I went to see him against Hernandez in stoke! in the amateurs he was in the top 2/3 seeds at bantamweight consistently and considered to be a top prospect for Tokyo having a terrific season in 2017, however due to politics and advise from those in the game around him he decided to turn pro last year. He is trained by Asgy who you may know from Team Fury, Asgy is also based in the midlands so it helps just expanding his initial fan-base; the guy has always had that natural flare and boxing pedigree, Asgy is a great trainer and fantastic guy to emphasise his strengths / polish his tool-set, Shabaz has a similar style to BJS and being around him / team fury it will emphasise the importance of showing a high in-ring IQ and constantly developing it.

He is in good hands and has a decent head on his shoulders, good people around him which is the most important thing! Naz is one of a kind! there will never be another! but nice to see a prospect like this come through.

You've given me a reason to check it out once more! but looking back I also leaned towards Leonard. Arguably the most polarising fight ever and both fighters had extremely loyal fan bases who would never see another way. I can't disagree with the sentiment that any success Leonard had in that fight was going to be a big deal in the eyes of judges as it was a David v Goliath scenario with Leonard having been inactive and also rumoured to have been seriously hurt by much bigger sparring partners. It took Hagler a while to find his range and Leonard was excellent with his speed, movement and durability especially in the championship rounds he still had his legs under him

Yes; Leonard essentially displayed an illusion of speed and finesse against Hagler without ever hurting him.

But by simply appearing more competitive than everyone thought he would be, he won the hearts of the judges and audience.

The maverick has quite the following already especially around the midlands area! I went to see him against Hernandez in stoke! in the amateurs he was in the top 2/3 seeds at bantamweight consistently and considered to be a top prospect for Tokyo having a terrific season in 2017, however due to politics and advise from those in the game around him he decided to turn pro last year. He is trained by Asgy who you may know from Team Fury, Asgy is also based in the midlands so it helps just expanding his initial fan-base; the guy has always had that natural flare and boxing pedigree, Asgy is a great trainer and fantastic guy to emphasise his strengths / polish his tool-set, Shabaz has a similar style to BJS and being around him / team fury it will emphasise the importance of showing a high in-ring IQ and constantly developing it.

He is in good hands and has a decent head on his shoulders, good people around him which is the most important thing! Naz is one of a kind! there will never be another! but nice to see a prospect like this come through.

Interesting thanks! With such a style you have to very disciplined, Naz wasn't so much but as you said he was a one of a kind. Best of luck to the lad, hope he does well.

Josh Taylor beat Regis Prograis on points to become the unified IBF and WBA super-lightweight champion and win the World Super Series in London.

The Scot, 28, earned a riveting, see-sawing victory, with judges scoring it 114-114, 115-113, 117-112.

Prograis was composed in the early skirmishes but Taylor grew into the contest and landed telling blows in the eighth, ninth and 10th, before two fiercely-contested final rounds.

Taylor remains undefeated in 16 bouts.

He inflicted his American opponent's first loss in 25 fights en route to the Muhammad Ali Trophy, while also claiming the WBC Diamond and Ring Magazine belts.

With his right eye swollen shut, Taylor devoted the O2 Arena victory to his late father in law, who died last month.

"He was here with us tonight and I want to dedicate this to him," he told Sky Sports.

"What a fight. All respect to Regis Prograis, a great fight, great champion, but the best man won.

"The free-flowing boxing, the inside work, I don't think he quite expected I could switch it up and go to range quite as quickly."

The fight was a mouth-watering prospect for boxing fans - two undefeated world champions, a spot of needle in the build-up and no fewer than five belts up for grabs in a packed stadium as the two southpaws prepared to battle.

Taylor, four years a pro, spoke of his speed, reactions and timing being his greatest assets: all were tested in a thriller.

He held the advantage in height and reach and was the man on the front foot as the Houston-based WBA champion relied on his head movement to evade Taylor's barrage before countering with both fists.

There was danger everywhere - and from both fighters. Crunching body shots, uppercuts that began as far south as Louisiana, head-popping jabs, fists flying at close range and big overhead lefts.

By the mid-point of the scheduled 12 rounds, there was little between the fighters but the momentum seemed to be moving in favour of the Tartan Tornado, two years younger than Prograis.

But the American, evoking memories of Terence Crawford coming to the UK to take home Ricky Burns' WBO lightweight title in 2014, remained lively if increasingly ragged.

Taylor's right eye was swollen by round eight as the two world-class talents traded blows before Taylor stepped up his work-rate in the ninth with shots to the body and head of his resourceful foe.

In the hardest fight of their respective careers, the result was in the balance. Another strong round for Taylor in the 10th would have demoralised a lesser opponent but not Prograis - he traded body blows, landed a cracking uppercut on the taller Scot and soaked up heavy shots.

Prograis was back to his cocky, stylish best with three minutes remaining, Taylor replying with his own form of artistry to rouse the crowd once more as the final bell sounded.

The one judge which gave the win by five rounds, I'm not sure what that was on about, but the other two scores were fair. Taylor found a new energy and I think Prograis let him into the fight.

BBC Radio 5 live boxing pundit Steve Bunce

What an outcome. What an hour it was to be there ringside. Prograis half made out he won the fight. The last two rounds it was a difficult 10-9 to put down.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50196845

Josh Taylor beat Regis Prograis on points to become the unified IBF and WBA super-lightweight champion and win the World Super Series in London.

The Scot, 28, earned a riveting, see-sawing victory, with judges scoring it 114-114, 115-113, 117-112.

Prograis was composed in the early skirmishes but Taylor grew into the contest and landed telling blows in the eighth, ninth and 10th, before two fiercely-contested final rounds.

Taylor remains undefeated in 16 bouts.

He inflicted his American opponent's first loss in 25 fights en route to the Muhammad Ali Trophy, while also claiming the WBC Diamond and Ring Magazine belts.

With his right eye swollen shut, Taylor devoted the O2 Arena victory to his late father in law, who died last month.

"He was here with us tonight and I want to dedicate this to him," he told Sky Sports.

"What a fight. All respect to Regis Prograis, a great fight, great champion, but the best man won.

"The free-flowing boxing, the inside work, I don't think he quite expected I could switch it up and go to range quite as quickly."

The fight was a mouth-watering prospect for boxing fans - two undefeated world champions, a spot of needle in the build-up and no fewer than five belts up for grabs in a packed stadium as the two southpaws prepared to battle.

Taylor, four years a pro, spoke of his speed, reactions and timing being his greatest assets: all were tested in a thriller.

He held the advantage in height and reach and was the man on the front foot as the Houston-based WBA champion relied on his head movement to evade Taylor's barrage before countering with both fists.

There was danger everywhere - and from both fighters. Crunching body shots, uppercuts that began as far south as Louisiana, head-popping jabs, fists flying at close range and big overhead lefts.

By the mid-point of the scheduled 12 rounds, there was little between the fighters but the momentum seemed to be moving in favour of the Tartan Tornado, two years younger than Prograis.

But the American, evoking memories of Terence Crawford coming to the UK to take home Ricky Burns' WBO lightweight title in 2014, remained lively if increasingly ragged.

Taylor's right eye was swollen by round eight as the two world-class talents traded blows before Taylor stepped up his work-rate in the ninth with shots to the body and head of his resourceful foe.

In the hardest fight of their respective careers, the result was in the balance. Another strong round for Taylor in the 10th would have demoralised a lesser opponent but not Prograis - he traded body blows, landed a cracking uppercut on the taller Scot and soaked up heavy shots.

Prograis was back to his cocky, stylish best with three minutes remaining, Taylor replying with his own form of artistry to rouse the crowd once more as the final bell sounded.

The one judge which gave the win by five rounds, I'm not sure what that was on about, but the other two scores were fair. Taylor found a new energy and I think Prograis let him into the fight.

BBC Radio 5 live boxing pundit Steve Bunce

What an outcome. What an hour it was to be there ringside. Prograis half made out he won the fight. The last two rounds it was a difficult 10-9 to put down.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50196845

Terrific fight, one of the best this year; very technical, both fighters bought their A game and did the final justice.

Two very technical southpaws with similar styles, Taylor had the better footwork while Prograis the better jab; Taylor used his outstanding natural ability / movement to start fast / land telling blows in the first half landing power shots to the head / body ; Prograis was very stubborn with his jab, both fighters landed great body shots but there seemed to be more of a malice behind Taylor's shots. As the rounds went on, Taylor did slow down expectedly but his grit / toughness was vital in weathering the storm when Prograis came on strong towards the end, he got Taylor to walk on to his shots by changing his tactics from fighting at mid range to using his back foot more, the early work with the Jab also begun to pay off as a nasty cut to Taylor's right eye affected his vision.

I had Taylor up by 2 points, would love to see a rematch; it was close but Josh did more then enough for me, I feel he makes things a bit too difficult for himself, it's in the blood, Scottish just love a tear up but he has so much natural ability and sound fundamentals which he needs to be consistent with, it would make bouts more boring but he could win a lot more compatibly with straight shots, it's the inexperience and I say that because he is not the complete fighter just yet which is scary considering his achievements so far. Overall he deserved to win for landing the more telling blows predominately while Prograis had a great work rate and excellent final 1/4, two elite 140 pounder's at their best.

Taylor really looked like the real deal last night against a top quality opponent. All that remains for him at 140 is Ramirez (possibly Mikey but Ill ignore him till he beats a top light welter). The way the Americans go about their business, I am not sure how soon that fight can be made and I hope Taylor presses on in his prime, meaning he should go up to 147. The lad is about 5'10'' and would be even stronger at welterweight. I think a fight against the likes of Danny Garcia would show us if he is ready for the weight then a bout against Crawford would be huge!

Taylor really looked like the real deal last night against a top quality opponent. All that remains for him at 140 is Ramirez (possibly Mikey but Ill ignore him till he beats a top light welter). The way the Americans go about their business, I am not sure how soon that fight can be made and I hope Taylor presses on in his prime, meaning he should go up to 147. The lad is about 5'10'' and would be even stronger at welterweight. I think a fight against the likes of Danny Garcia would show us if he is ready for the weight then a bout against Crawford would be huge!

I wouldn't jump the gun with Taylor just yet when it comes to moving up etc he has been fast tracked to the top and there's always a pressure these days to go for all the belts fight after fight but he has had just 16 fights and I still feel he isn't at his peak, they could do with a few light touches before unifying and then settle at 140 before considering another jump similar to how they built Crawford, you learn a few tricks along the way as well and I feel Taylor would benefit to, also not good to go from a hard fight into another top fight. He is the real deal for sure and our next big star, best I have ever seen from Scotland and that exposure on FTA would also have benefited him, still can't believe we got the postol fight for free!

I wouldn't jump the gun with Taylor just yet when it comes to moving up etc he has been fast tracked to the top and there's always a pressure these days to go for all the belts fight after fight but he has had just 16 fights and I still feel he isn't at his peak, they could do with a few light touches before unifying and then settle at 140 before considering another jump similar to how they built Crawford, you learn a few tricks along the way as well and I feel Taylor would benefit to, also not good to go from a hard fight into another top fight. He is the real deal for sure and our next big star, best I have ever seen from Scotland and that exposure on FTA would also have benefited him, still can't believe we got the postol fight for free!

No jumping the gun here. The guy is already 28 and only has a few years at the very top level. He has been brought along quickly due to a lengthy amateur career. He should be fighting the best every opportunity he is given. Win or lose, I think he will always give a good account of himself.

Also, not sure what you mean about "a lot of pressure these days to go for all the belts"...so few fighters, champions and professional boxers unify these days it makes us fans rip our hair out. We're potentially going to have 6-8 champs per division now. It is why people are so invested in the likes of GGG, Loma, Usyk and AJ, because these guys made it their mission to unify and are a rarity. Taylor should look to emulate them.

No jumping the gun here. The guy is already 28 and only has a few years at the very top level. He has been brought along quickly due to a lengthy amateur career. He should be fighting the best every opportunity he is given. Win or lose, I think he will always give a good account of himself.

Also, not sure what you mean about "a lot of pressure these days to go for all the belts"...so few fighters, champions and professional boxers unify these days it makes us fans rip our hair out. We're potentially going to have 6-8 champs per division now. It is why people are so invested in the likes of GGG, Loma, Usyk and AJ, because these guys made it their mission to unify and are a rarity. Taylor should look to emulate them.

Age in Boxing should be judged more based on your style, number of fights and the nature of those battles, he is 28 but had only 16 battles thus far, and it is only in the last year or so he has begun to challenge himself against the top 10 taking those harder fights. So being 28 isn't an issue for him compared to say a Khan as an example, who at the same age had about 34 fights; the body will be a lot more wound up. Am not again him challenging for other world titles at 140 lb, only that an interim bouts in between could do your development and overall health/longevity the world of good in the long run; there's a saying in the sport you don't go from one hard fight into another or else you're going to have a very short career.

When I say there is that pressure to go for all the belts etc that is the goal for sure, but you need to be sensible to; he just was in a brutal fight against an elite 140 pounder, I wouldn't throw him in there against Ramirez next but that's the pressure which naturally comes from the fans I suppose, but he already holds 2 of the belts including Ring Magazine as well so he could afford a little bit of breathing space, it's not like this bloke just avoids challenges or lets fights marinate etc

But what I mainly disagree with is throwing him in with Garcia or other fighters in the 147 right now, AJ was a HW who had some light touches to get a few alphabet titles, GGG never moved up to take the fight against Andre Ward; he largely beat up journey man at MW outside a few decent names before being tested against the best in Canelo/Jacobs; Usyk is a good example, he has unified but even he isn't necessarily taking on a top 10 contender in his debut at a weight he has never fought in before; and out of all these lot the best example to support your view is Lomachenko, he has moved up and down weight like it's nothing, had an extremely lengthy amateur career but a very high octane pro career thus far, it's insane to think apart from 1-2 fights all his battles thus far have been for world championships; but here's the thing, there is only one Lomachenko.

I'd allow Taylor to make a few defences of his unified world titles, take a bit of pressure of his back and develop his style further because the inexperience still shows, this kid hasn't even peaked yet trust me. Then after making those defences, push for the Ramirez fight the bloke is managed by Bob though, anyways make that fight and if he wins; don't rush his next move and consider a potential to move up to 147, and wouldn't stick him in with someone like Garcia in his debut, besides 147 is so packed there really is no place to hide.

[MENTION=146504]barah_admi[/MENTION] [MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] [MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION] [MENTION=48620]Cpt. Rishwat[/MENTION]

Predictions, Canelo or Kovalev ?

Canelo is moving up to 175 lb for the first time to challenge for Kovalev's world title

[MENTION=146504]barah_admi[/MENTION] [MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] [MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION] [MENTION=48620]Cpt. Rishwat[/MENTION]

Canelo is moving up to 175 lb for the first time to challenge for Kovalev's world title

On paper it seems a big step for Canelo but he is now a big fella. If anything he might come in heavier at fight time! I think Canelo willl be too fast for him and will land many more shots. The risk is if Kovalev lands hard early and starts to control the tempo. Looking forward to this, along with the Diaz and the cricket later tonight. :)

On paper it seems a big step for Canelo but he is now a big fella. If anything he might come in heavier at fight time! I think Canelo willl be too fast for him and will land many more shots. The risk is if Kovalev lands hard early and starts to control the tempo. Looking forward to this, along with the Diaz and the cricket later tonight. :)

One hell of a fight, it was even for me up until the stoppage; early on, neither guy really committed; Canelo was applying pressure and forcing Kovalev to work, so while he was losing the early rounds he was dictating the pace and also managed to land the lustier blows, Kovalev while he was pawing with the jab, am sure Canelo was feeling them from the bigger man but he wasn't really sitting on his punches and Canelo took note of that by working more, he took over around the mid way point by doing this and then Kovalev came back strongly by throwing stiffer jabs which forced Canelo to make mistakes and he took advantage of those with his combinations.

It was an interesting fight, it depends on what you would prefer really but I felt the momentum was starting to shift towards Kovalev's end towards the end. We know Kovalev could be hurt but man what an equaliser from Canelo, I doubt anyone expected a brutal stoppage of that kind; not sure what the judges cards looked like but am glad in a way that he got the KO because there is always so much debate when fights like these go the distance

Didn't watch the Diaz fight, apparently it was a controversial stoppage

One hell of a fight, it was even for me up until the stoppage; early on, neither guy really committed; Canelo was applying pressure and forcing Kovalev to work, so while he was losing the early rounds he was dictating the pace and also managed to land the lustier blows, Kovalev while he was pawing with the jab, am sure Canelo was feeling them from the bigger man but he wasn't really sitting on his punches and Canelo took note of that by working more, he took over around the mid way point by doing this and then Kovalev came back strongly by throwing stiffer jabs which forced Canelo to make mistakes and he took advantage of those with his combinations.

It was an interesting fight, it depends on what you would prefer really but I felt the momentum was starting to shift towards Kovalev's end towards the end. We know Kovalev could be hurt but man what an equaliser from Canelo, I doubt anyone expected a brutal stoppage of that kind; not sure what the judges cards looked like but am glad in a way that he got the KO because there is always so much debate when fights like these go the distance

Didn't watch the Diaz fight, apparently it was a controversial stoppage

It was a fascinating fight for boxing fans, not so much for casuals who expect a tear up every round. I thought Kovalev's tactics were spot on, for the first 2/3 of the fight he produced a masterclass in how to maintain a distance with his reach advantage. Canelo was struggling to land clean but he knew with such a defensive tactic it would take a lot out of his opponent, while he wasn't gettting hurt and staying fresh.

I had Kovalev ahead because of his work rate giving him the close rounds but you could see he was becoming tired, not jabbing as sharp and losing his defence.

But the KO was world class, you wont see a better finish in a boxing fight. The sweeping left hook which did the damage was thrown with such balance, power and technique it was near on perfect. Even though Kovalev wasnt hit flush, the power and his tiredness rocked him so bad, he ended up giving his chin up right in the way of Canelos right hand, which he powered into his face. Glad he was ok, because that was scary even for a boxing fan to see. :irfan

You have to give huge credit to Canelo for being a 4 weight world champion especiall with so much difference in weights. Some of my friends believe he was juiced up, which maybe true we have to give him the kudos for what we know and have seen.

Diaz is a bad bad man, wouldnt want to ever get into a rumble with such a fella! Hard as nails, the more you beat him the more he becomes determined , keeps on coming forward. I really wanted to see this fight for all 5 rounds just to see Diaz. He had a pretty bad cut not not enough to stop the fight imo, looks like some sort of scam imo.

It was a fascinating fight for boxing fans, not so much for casuals who expect a tear up every round. I thought Kovalev's tactics were spot on, for the first 2/3 of the fight he produced a masterclass in how to maintain a distance with his reach advantage. Canelo was struggling to land clean but he knew with such a defensive tactic it would take a lot out of his opponent, while he wasn't gettting hurt and staying fresh.

I had Kovalev ahead because of his work rate giving him the close rounds but you could see he was becoming tired, not jabbing as sharp and losing his defence.

But the KO was world class, you wont see a better finish in a boxing fight. The sweeping left hook which did the damage was thrown with such balance, power and technique it was near on perfect. Even though Kovalev wasnt hit flush, the power and his tiredness rocked him so bad, he ended up giving his chin up right in the way of Canelos right hand, which he powered into his face. Glad he was ok, because that was scary even for a boxing fan to see. :irfan

You have to give huge credit to Canelo for being a 4 weight world champion especiall with so much difference in weights. Some of my friends believe he was juiced up, which maybe true we have to give him the kudos for what we know and have seen.

Diaz is a bad bad man, wouldnt want to ever get into a rumble with such a fella! Hard as nails, the more you beat him the more he becomes determined , keeps on coming forward. I really wanted to see this fight for all 5 rounds just to see Diaz. He had a pretty bad cut not not enough to stop the fight imo, looks like some sort of scam imo.

Totally agree with you mate, that pressure and evasiveness was very tactical from Canelo early on and the work rate set by Kovalev as you said meant his endurance was going to be challenged; he also last fought a few months ago against Yarde, it's a 50/50 one because I feel that this is the best possible prep for him but meant there wasn't going to be a massive tank on fight night, but it is still the best for him to go form one camp into another or else he will just drink himself to death. If Kovalev took a little more care of himself outside the ropes he could have come into the ring a bit more fresher and benefited from a break but he is the type of guy that needs to be fighting often to be able to compete, he also said in an interview that he was tired after the 6th round.

It was a class performance from Canelo to against the smaller opponent and the finish was just magical on a technical level as you say, kept his left up also while he through that peach of a right, the little things always stand out to me like that, Yes agree, regardless of what is said regarding that aspect we can only judge what we see and when you see a performance of that calibre you don't pay attention to it because of the shear skill on display, I still think we haven't seen the best of Canelo which is nuts because at a very young age he already has forged a hall of fame career and is an all time great.

The thing I found so hilarious was prior to the fight Diaz allegedly failed a drug test, Diaz took a stand I have never ever seen before, he said until his name is cleared he wont fight that's how much faith he had in his preparation and how he takes care of himself, he had no doubt he hadn't taken anything at all and wasn't willing to keep silent etc lol and in the end that's exactly what happened as they cleared his name and released the full details, not seen the cut but I have seen it in boxing lately, ref's have been jumping in a little more quicker and waving off fights because of the tragedy, in MMA that is unheard of regardless and it's unlikely to happen at the same probability as well

[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION]

Read the 1st comment under the video :))) more then Don King LOOL am dead

Update on upcoming fights:

October

GGG v Derevyanchenko - vacant IBF title

Oleksandr Usyk vs Tyrone Spong (Heavyweight) , interesting considering Usyk's move up

Regis Prograis vs Josh Taylor , unified super-lightweight titles and the RING; look forward to this, no.1 v no.2

Shakur Stevenson vs Joet Gonzalez , world title; with the golden boy come of age despite his inexperience, I would say so; Stevenson is a special fighter

November

Canelo v Kovalev - this is massive, a world title fight at light heavyweight with Canelo moving up, many feel it will be easy for him and how he may even stop Kovalev; am not too sure there, massive credit to Canelo if he pulls it off but a motivated Kovalev is a big threat and he showed so much heart in that W over Yarde when on the brink recently

Naoya Inoue vs Nonito Donaire (WBA & IBF Bantamweight Titles) - I believe this will be the final, Inoue is arguably the best fighter on the planet and if he manages to take out the legendary Nonito Donaire then that argument may hold even more merit

Lee McGregor vs Kash Farooq (British & Commonwealth Bantamweight Titles), this is a domestic show down which Brits may find of interest; I think whoever comes through this will have very good world level prospects

Wilder v Ortiz 2

December

Ruiz v Joshua 2

Out of all these the ones I am looking forward to most are Canelo / Kovalev, Taylor / Prograis, Inoue / Donaire and Joshua / Ruiz

Will also be interested to see how Stevenson and Usyk progress

Some very interesting fights to look forward to as we end the year on a high, Boxing on a boom! I know we don't always get the fights we want but the coverage is great across continents, fans are engaged more then ever and we get treats from time to time with fantastic match making

Canelo is a highly skilled fighter, definitely has an awesome resume at such a young age, he improves with every fight, that defeat against Floyd taught him so much.

But there are always asterisks and question marks, questionable judging decisions, clenbuterol, rehydration clauses

Some very interesting fights to look forward to as we end the year on a high, Boxing on a boom! I know we don't always get the fights we want but the coverage is great across continents, fans are engaged more then ever and we get treats from time to time with fantastic match making

Ortiz at the age of 40 is in theory 2 fights away from being unified hw champion of the world! He just needs to beat Wilder and hope Ruiz beats Joshua. It will then be him v Ruiz for the undisputed. This would be funny to see esp how Joshua, Fury and Wilder react.

Check out this documentary, brilliant! Shows how boxing has changed the lives of people. Not sure this man will one day be HW champ but i hope he has the skills to get far, I love his style, very similar to Iron Mike.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Huge Congratulations <a href="https://twitter.com/Qais_Ashfaq?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@qais_ashfaq</a> on your first professional title, WBA Continental Champion! I’m very happy to see an overseas British Pakistani achieving on a world stage. I’m sure InshAllah you will win many more titles in the near future representing UK along with Pakistan.. <a href="https://t.co/gycUPXgxU9">pic.twitter.com/gycUPXgxU9</a></p>— Shoaib Akhtar (@shoaib100mph) <a href="https://twitter.com/shoaib100mph/status/1191392354982354944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 4, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would likely have said Canelo but obviously it's over now haha

The sad part about it all is how odd the fight was and how reluctant Kovalev w as to do his job.

Ortiz at the age of 40 is in theory 2 fights away from being unified hw champion of the world! He just needs to beat Wilder and hope Ruiz beats Joshua. It will then be him v Ruiz for the undisputed. This would be funny to see esp how Joshua, Fury and Wilder react.

Yeah definitely, Ortiz is so dangerous especially for 6 rounds or so; that would be hilarious lmao but if Wilder lost am sure there would be an immediate rematch

Check out this documentary, brilliant! Shows how boxing has changed the lives of people. Not sure this man will one day be HW champ but i hope he has the skills to get far, I love his style, very similar to Iron Mike.

Nice one will check this documentary out

The sad part about it all is how odd the fight was and how reluctant Kovalev w as to do his job.

Yes he was tentative mate, part of it was because the pressure was forcing him to keep Canelo off when he didn't necessarily want to throw the jab and at the back of his mind he probably doubted his endurance as well

Canelo is a highly skilled fighter, definitely has an awesome resume at such a young age, he improves with every fight, that defeat against Floyd taught him so much.

But there are always asterisks and question marks, questionable judging decisions, clenbuterol, rehydration clauses

I didn't know before but there was a rehydration clause of 10 lb, it obviously favours Canelo more but what is your opinion on that ? it's worth pointing out that this is the mandatory ruling regardless if you contest any of IBF's world titles; between 2014-2016 when Kovalev held the IBF world title he dealt with the second day weigh in compatibly and remained at the top, however it is no doubt that at 36 it is going to be more taxing; in the grand scheme I don't think it would have negatively impacted him in a major way though, what do you guys think

The biggest event in internet history? Possibly. Pure entertainment? Definitely.

In front of a global audience of millions, the YouTube boxing grudge match between Britain's KSI and his American rival Logan Paul on Saturday produced, perhaps surprisingly for some, a superb sporting spectacle in Los Angeles on Saturday.

KSI won on a split decision in a tear-up that was dripping in controversy after Paul was deducted two points for hitting his opponent on his way down.

Here's how the entertaining - and sometimes surreal - night unfolded in LA.

First, the fight. Fury-Wilder it wasn't, but it was an entertaining bout from the first bell to the last.

KSI, 26, deserved to win. He was the better fighter for the first four rounds as he continually threw booming rights which rocked the taller, rangier Paul onto the back foot.

It was one-way traffic until Paul snuck through KSI's defences with an uppercut and then, with his opponent on his way to the canvas, landed another blow which took the wind from the Brit's sails.

The referee intervened because Paul broke KSI's fall, following the uppercut, to land another blow and the official demonstrably gave the Brit time to regain his composure.

And while two points were deducted from Paul's card, a knockdown was registered in the American's favour on account of the first blow.

KSI belied his inexperience to stay out of trouble for the remainder of the fourth round - displaying much improved footwork from the pair's first fight - and the frenetic pace continued for the full six round.

KSI - whose real name is Olajide Olayinka Williams Olatunji - was judged the winner 57-54, 56-55, 55-56 on the judges' scorecards.

It was a popular victory for the Brit, who was the more popular fighter inside the sell-out arena, despite crossing the Atlantic to fight on his opponent's home soil.

You could tell it was going to be a something special from the moment the two YouTubers walked into the ring.

Logan Paul came in like a pantomime villain - booed and jeered in front of a home crowd as he strutted through in a star-spangled USA robe.

KSI arrived in a red and black mask covering most of his face, and American rapper Rick Ross walked him in performing Down Like That - a song they've collaborated on.

While most people became enthralled in the tense fight, there was also a Justin Bieber sideshow to keep an eye on. The Canadian singer was in Paul's corner and after appearing with him backstage before the fight, Bieber was soon trending on social media after giving Paul a standing ovation after the second round.

The Staples Center was full of internet celebrities who wanted in on the action, and social media full of messages for the two fighters.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50364354

In one of the greatest fights I have ever seen in my life time and the best of 2019, The Monster Naoya Inoue just about managed to defeat the legendary Nonito Donaire - this is the Boxing I love, the true combat and way of the warrior; it will have you jumping out your seat and test your emotional strings, because what a ride this epic battle was, skill of the highest calibre on display in addition to the incredible guts, heart, passion and pure desire.

Donaire at this point of his career, 1 week shy of his 37th Birthday was already a first balot Hall of Famer with nothing left to prove being a 4 weight world champion who was consistently ranked among the top P4P best in the world during his peak. At this point of his career you wonder why he continues to fight and while he showed against the likes of Frampton, Young and Burnett there is still gas left in the tank at world level you would not expect him to push a big technically sound puncher in Naoya to the absolute limit, to put things into perspective; Naoya's last 4 world championship bouts against very good opposition lasted less then 8 minutes overall ! and at the age of 26 he is already a 3 weight world champion with 16 KO's from 19 fights with 12 coming in world title fights.

Donaire's experience and world / elite pedigree showed in the first half, he would come out fast; applying pressure, cutting of the ring, giving the younger champion no room and pushing him back when none of his opponents in the past had previously succeeded, he went to the head and body, the left hand and especially check left hook caused Naoya problems early on as he attempted to weather the storm with lateral movement and accurate power punching to try and stall Donaire, he did succeed many a time but Donaire still managed to press forward, there were some swing rounds in the first half but predominately the momentum and pace of the fight was controlled by Donaire.

Naoya would soon after manage to hold the centre with his brilliant ability to slip / slide and roll with the punches to set up some beautiful counters, he would regain control before Donaire would slip a jab at mid-range to land a powerful right hand which seriously wobbled Naoya in the second half as blood streamed down his face with. Seeing that the momentum was starting to shift, Naoya responded with a terrific body shot in the 11th which dropped Donaire; the reaction was delayed and the great champion desperately tried to survive, it came early in the round so he had to work hard and get the juices flowing once more, in a miraculous moment while Naoya looked for the finish as he smelled blood being one of the most clinical finishers in the business; Donaire responded with a massive left refusing to hold as the two traded hell for leather.

It was a very even fight and for me the knock down just about sealed the deal for Naoya, many never gave Donaire enough respect with him being in the twilight of his career but he used his experience to set traps on the front food with his feints, excellent jabs and an insane work rate for a man his age the engine was still there; Naoya while he had to absorb some lusty blows throughout out the fight he showed his class with his movement and accurate power punching, if there was a ? on his heart / chin there will not be any doubts after this, both men showed a fighting spirit and in my eyes elevated themselves even further.

Naoya now is the IBF, WBA Super and RING bantamweight world champion and there is a case to be made for him being P4P no.1, at 118 lb there are still plenty of options for him against the likes of Tete, some would also say Nery but I don't think this cheat deserves a title shot; there is also talk of a bout with Lomachenko but weight would be a big talking point. As for Donaire, I haven't read about what his plans are from here but I hope he can enjoy a happy retirement because there is nothing left to prove and if anything if there were any doubts on his legacy, he proved that he is without a doubt one of the best modern fighters of his era and a sure Hall of Famer in the future.

Last edited:
In one of the greatest fights I have ever seen in my life time and the best of 2019, The Monster Naoya Inoue just about managed to defeat the legendary Nonito Donaire - this is the Boxing I love, the true combat and way of the warrior; it will have you jumping out your seat and test your emotional strings, because what a ride this epic battle was, skill of the highest calibre on display in addition to the incredible guts, heart, passion and pure desire.

Donaire at this point of his career, 1 week shy of his 37th Birthday was already a first balot Hall of Famer with nothing left to prove being a 4 weight world champion who was consistently ranked among the top P4P best in the world during his peak. At this point of his career you wonder why he continues to fight and while he showed against the likes of Frampton, Young and Burnett there is still gas left in the tank at world level you would not expect him to push a big technically sound puncher in Naoya to the absolute limit, to put things into perspective; Naoya's last 4 world championship bouts against very good opposition lasted less then 8 minutes overall ! and at the age of 26 he is already a 3 weight world champion with 16 KO's from 19 fights with 12 coming in world title fights.

Donaire's experience and world / elite pedigree showed in the first half, he would come out fast; applying pressure, cutting of the ring, giving the younger champion no room and pushing him back when none of his opponents in the past had previously succeeded, he went to the head and body, the left hand and especially check left hook caused Naoya problems early on as he attempted to weather the storm with lateral movement and accurate power punching to try and stall Donaire, he did succeed many a time but Donaire still managed to press forward, there were some swing rounds in the first half but predominately the momentum and pace of the fight was controlled by Donaire.

Naoya would soon after manage to hold the centre with his brilliant ability to slip / slide and roll with the punches to set up some beautiful counters, he would regain control before Donaire would slip a jab at mid-range to land a powerful right hand which seriously wobbled Naoya in the second half as blood streamed down his face with. Seeing that the momentum was starting to shift, Naoya responded with a terrific body shot in the 11th which dropped Donaire; the reaction was delayed and the great champion desperately tried to survive, it came early in the round so he had to work hard and get the juices flowing once more, in a miraculous moment while Naoya looked for the finish as he smelled blood being one of the most clinical finishers in the business; Donaire responded with a massive left refusing to hold as the two traded hell for leather.

It was a very even fight and for me the knock down just about sealed the deal for Naoya, many never gave Donaire enough respect with him being in the twilight of his career but he used his experience to set traps on the front food with his feints, excellent jabs and an insane work rate for a man his age the engine was still there; Naoya while he had to absorb some lusty blows throughout out the fight he showed his class with his movement and accurate power punching, if there was a ? on his heart / chin there will not be any doubts after this, both men showed a fighting spirit and in my eyes elevated themselves even further.

Naoya now is the IBF, WBA Super and RING bantamweight world champion and there is a case to be made for him being P4P no.1, at 118 lb there are still plenty of options for him against the likes of Tete, some would also say Nery but I don't think this cheat deserves a title shot; there is also talk of a bout with Lomachenko but weight would be a big talking point. As for Donaire, I haven't read about what his plans are from here but I hope he can enjoy a happy retirement because there is nothing left to prove and if anything if there were any doubts on his legacy, he proved that he is without a doubt one of the best modern fighters of his era and a sure Hall of Famer in the future.
[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] make sure you find a way to watch Naoya Inoue vs Nonito Donaire

amazing fight, only got told about inoue a few weeks ago by one of my mates as im a fairly casual boxing fan. absolute beast and worth every penny when it comes to entertainment, has the world at his feet. seriously brilliant body puncher.

None of the 36 referees and judges used at the Rio 2016 boxing competition will be allowed to officiate at Tokyo 2020, an International Olympic Committee task force has said.

Several judges and referees were sent home from Rio after a number of questionable decisions during the boxing tournament.

At Tokyo, referees and judges will be picked from a pool of International Boxing Association (AIBA) certified officials, who have been reviewed to ensure they meet the criteria.

"The main objective of the IOC boxing task force is to ensure the completion of the mission of delivering events, while putting the boxers first, and with transparent and credible sporting results and fair play," said boxing task force chair Morinari Watanabe.

An investigation by the AIBA in 2017 found no interference in results and recommended that the Rio judges be reintegrated on a "case-by-case basis", but the IOC's new selection criteria has now ruled them ineligible for the Tokyo Games.

The task force said its decision followed discussions with athletes to increase clarity, transparency and integrity in the selection process and officiating at the Olympics.

Scores from all judges at the end of each round will also now be displayed publicly during qualifying competitions and the Games.

Irish bantamweight Michael Conlan, who said he was "robbed", and Kazakhstan's Vassiliy Levit lost bouts in which they both appeared to win comfortably during Rio 2016.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/50497781.

None of the 36 referees and judges used at the Rio 2016 boxing competition will be allowed to officiate at Tokyo 2020, an International Olympic Committee task force has said.

Several judges and referees were sent home from Rio after a number of questionable decisions during the boxing tournament.

At Tokyo, referees and judges will be picked from a pool of International Boxing Association (AIBA) certified officials, who have been reviewed to ensure they meet the criteria.

"The main objective of the IOC boxing task force is to ensure the completion of the mission of delivering events, while putting the boxers first, and with transparent and credible sporting results and fair play," said boxing task force chair Morinari Watanabe.

An investigation by the AIBA in 2017 found no interference in results and recommended that the Rio judges be reintegrated on a "case-by-case basis", but the IOC's new selection criteria has now ruled them ineligible for the Tokyo Games.

The task force said its decision followed discussions with athletes to increase clarity, transparency and integrity in the selection process and officiating at the Olympics.

Scores from all judges at the end of each round will also now be displayed publicly during qualifying competitions and the Games.

Irish bantamweight Michael Conlan, who said he was "robbed", and Kazakhstan's Vassiliy Levit lost bouts in which they both appeared to win comfortably during Rio 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/50497781

Callum Smith can move closer to being the "best boxer in Britain" but Deontay Wilder may face a tricky test on a busy Saturday night, according to 5 Live Boxing's Mike Costello.

Liverpool's Smith, 29, returns to his home city as a world champion for the first time and insists he will not let his dreams of huge future fights vanish when he faces Londoner John Ryder.

Smith, the WBA world super-middleweight champion, starts as a 1-25 favourite with bookmakers for a bout which will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 Live from the M&S Bank Arena.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/50508649

Deontay Wilder defended his WBC world heavyweight title for the 10th time with a stunning knockout after being out-boxed by Luis Ortiz for six rounds.

The American looked set to see his world-title reign end just short of five years as Ortiz picked him apart for half of their Las Vegas rematch.

But in the seventh round, Wilder's devastating right hand left Ortiz stunned and beaten on the canvas.

"I found my measurement, seen the shot and took it," said Wilder, 34.

"We have Tyson Fury the rematch next. It's set to be done in February so we will see how that goes and then after that I am looking for a unification bout.

"The heavyweight division is too small to have so many belts lingering around, there should be one champion and I think I am the perfect man for that job."

Ortiz, 40, made it to his feet but could not beat the 10 count and was left with a look of shock on his face, because Wilder had barely thrown a combination or landed a punch of significance.

The defeated Cuban was left beating the ropes with his fists in frustration after bamboozling Wilder with feints and footwork, while boxing at the kind of pace he looked capable of maintaining.

He found repeated joy from his tricky southpaw stance with the left hand and after landing on Wilder in the fourth, the champion beat his chest with both hands because he clearly knew he was second best.

Some will ask questions as to how flat Wilder looked for six rounds but he has built a reputation as one of the most destructive punchers in boxing history and his straight right hand thrilled those ringside at the MGM Grand.

With this success he moved level with Muhammad Ali in recording 10 straight title defences. Only Tommy Burns (11), Vitali Klitschko (11), Wladimir Klitschko (18), Larry Holmes (20) and Joe Louis (25) have managed to defend the heavyweight crown more times in a row.

His 42nd win in 43 bouts will also take Wilder past five years as world heavyweight champion having secured the title by beating Bermane Stiverne in January 2015.

Fury almost fell to the same power as Ortiz 12 rounds into his Los Angeles draw with Wilder in December. This latest knockout again adds to the mystery around how the Briton got to his feet.

If they do fight on the slated date of 22 February, Fury will get the chance to become a two-time world heavyweight champion.

His trainer Ben Davison was ringside to see Wilder keep hope of that fixture alive but this win once again underlined he holds the kind of ferocious power that ensures he can never be written off.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50534701

wilder is a beast, outboxed for 7 rounds than finished it off with one hit. you cant argue with the guy, opponents have to box correct for 36 minutes to beat him, he only needs 2 seconds.

The purpose-built venue for Anthony Joshua's rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia is close to completion.

Work on the 15,000-seat Diriyah Arena only began two months before the fight, which is on 7 December.

Briton Joshua is seeking to regain the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles after June's shock defeat by Ruiz in New York.

"The arena and site are utterly breathtaking. We can't wait," said promoter Eddie Hearn.

Joshua visited the venue after landing in Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

Joshua fears another defeat by Ruiz Jr would 'tarnish legacy'
The Diriyah Arena was built by 175 staff and incorporates 295 tonnes of steel. It will take a month to deconstruct after the bout, with 95% of the material being reused to stage other events.

Saudi Arabia was chosen to host the match ahead of rival proposals from Cardiff's Principality Stadium and Dubai. The country hosted British boxer Amir Khan's win over Billy Dib in July and Callum Smith's success over George Groves in the World Boxing Super Series final in September 2018.

The bout has attracted criticism with human rights organisation Amnesty International highlighting the country's "abysmal" human rights record. Heavy restrictions on freedom of expression and women's rights have been raised, as has the use of the death penalty for offences not recognised as crimes under international law.

Saudi Arabia has sought to stage sporting and entertainment events in a bid to attract visitors and move away from its oil-dependent economy.

Carl Frampton beats Tyler McCreary in unanimous win

Carl Frampton said he twice re-fractured his hand in camp before his unanimous win over Tyler McCreary in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Fighting for the first time since December 2018, Northern Ireland's Frampton inflicted a first defeat on the unbeaten American, with all three judges marking it 100-88.

Frampton, 32, had first fractured his hand in a freak accident in August.

"There was absolutely no way I wasn't fighting," he said.

The former two division world champion twice knocked down McCreary, first in the sixth round with a body shot before felling him with a pair of left hooks in the ninth.

Ohio's McCreary, 26, was previously unbeaten in 17 contests.

"I was happy. That was the plan, to target the body," said Frampton. "Tyler is pretty tall. We've seen that he's left gaps.

"My hand wasn't great coming into the camp as well. It's always a bit softer hitting the body than the head.

"I feel like I hurt it again in the second round, so that's why it wasn't the most exciting fight in the world, but I just cruised to a points win. I just wanted to be safe with my hands."

Frampton has now targeted a super featherweight world title fight against WBO junior lightweight world champion Jamel Herring.

If Frampton was to win the belt he would become Ireland's first three-weight world champion.

"I know [Jamel] is the champ. I just want to fight for a world title next," he said.

"I want to be involved in big fights. I would love the opportunity to fight Jamel. I'm not the champion. He's the champion."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50619691

British heavyweight Dillian Whyte has been formally reinstated as the mandatory challenger for Deontay Wilder's World Boxing Council world heavyweight title.

It comes after Whyte, 31, had a doping violation charge dropped.

In June, he had provided a sample that contained traces of a banned steroid, but UK Anti-Doping has withdrawn the charge as the levels were "very low".

Whyte could now fight the winner of Wilder versus Britain's Tyson Fury.

That contest is set to take place in February 2020 in America, with the WBC saying Whyte will fight for a world title for the first time "on or about February of 2021".

After Whyte defeated Oscar Rivas in July, it was revealed that an out-of-competition urine sample collected by Ukad a month earlier had yielded an adverse finding, although he passed all his tests with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (Vada) and had been allowed to fight.

The WBC then provisionally suspended Whyte, whose only professional defeat came in a non-title bout against Anthony Joshua in September 2015.

Earlier this month Ukad announced it was withdrawing its charge against Whyte, who gained a unanimous points win over Poland's Mariusz Wach on the undercard of Joshua's revenge win over Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

Mariusz Wach and Dillian Whyte
Dillian Whyte's win over Mariusz Wach in Saudi Arabia means the British fighter has won 27 of his 28 professional bouts
A WBC statement said: "Based on limited but detailed research and information gathering, including the WBC's consultation with two independent experts, the WBC found that there was no sufficient or conclusive evidence that Whyte intentionally, or even knowingly, ingested a banned substance with the purpose of enhancing his performance in any fashion.

"In light of the WBC's own finding and of Ukad's withdrawal of the claim against Mr Whyte, the WBC has closed its internal investigation.

"The WBC is hereby lifting its provisional suspension and confirming its recognition of Mr Whyte as WBC Interim world heavyweight champion."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50749127

I watched the GGG fight live and after the first round though this is a mismatch but huge credit to his opponent who went all out to take the title. By round 6/7 GGG age and conditioning showed, he was blowing air like an air balloon but hung on to get the second wind which carried him to a point victory. It was a very difficult fight to score as most of the rounds could have gone either way but I scored as a GGG victory by 1 point because I felt he did enough to win the last round and with the knockdown just did enough.

I think GGG is pretty much finished in the elite category now. He might as well get a big pay day and retire imo.

Got around to watching this bro and I give GGG the win to by about 3 points, massive credit to derevyanchenko; the score cards don't do him justice, I feel like when he won rounds he dominated GGG from pillar to post, the work rate was much higher and the attacks especially to the body were nasty. When GGG won rounds, while he was boxing well; it was also partly due to the lack of activity from his challenger, he'd steal the rounds without doing too much damage, over the 12 round period I'd have to say his opponent inflicted more damage, what saves GGG here was the early knock down and follow up round where he cut derevyanchenko with a left hook.

The thing is I would be compelled to agree with you regarding him being finished but this is what is expected when you face high quality opposition, you're not going to be able to blow your challengers away just like that unless you are Mike Tyson; because GGG blew his opponents so easily in the past, which was also due to the low quality of opposition in the 160 lb division; we can at times take such performances as a significant decline. But in fights against Jacobs, Canelo and derevyanchenko he wasn't able to dominate also due to the quality of his opponent and when you face the best you tend to get competitive fights. With that being said I wouldn't say that age isn't affecting him because it takes no prisoners and your reflex's are not going to be what they were but also remember his European conditioning is supreme and until recently has largely avoided wars, other Europeans from a similar school of thought like Povetkin and Wladmir were able to compete at a high level well into their 30s for the same reason.

The other factor to look at is, it's hard to get motivated for fights like these; yes it is a world title fight, but he has largely done it all and financially there is no incentive or legacy wise on a monumental scale, no disrespect to derevyanchenko because he is quality and deserves to be a world champion. On top of that, he fired Abel Sanchez who was a noticeable absence in the corner and I feel tactically it showed as his defence was not as organised, lack of head movement and didn't use his jab enough to keep derevyanchenko off him or to set up his punches for the most part, in the corner it's a new relationship and Banks failed to inspire as well.

GGG is a quality fighter but not someone who I'd ever put in my top 20 P4P, he is an ATG 160 lb I give him the benefit of the doubt despite the poor opposition based on the eye test but also the fact that while he arguably lost to Jacobs and gave away his unbeaten record to Canelo; both fighters didn't dominate him.

British heavyweight Dillian Whyte has been formally reinstated as the mandatory challenger for Deontay Wilder's World Boxing Council world heavyweight title.

It comes after Whyte, 31, had a doping violation charge dropped.

In June, he had provided a sample that contained traces of a banned steroid, but UK Anti-Doping has withdrawn the charge as the levels were "very low".

Whyte could now fight the winner of Wilder versus Britain's Tyson Fury.

That contest is set to take place in February 2020 in America, with the WBC saying Whyte will fight for a world title for the first time "on or about February of 2021".

After Whyte defeated Oscar Rivas in July, it was revealed that an out-of-competition urine sample collected by Ukad a month earlier had yielded an adverse finding, although he passed all his tests with the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (Vada) and had been allowed to fight.

The WBC then provisionally suspended Whyte, whose only professional defeat came in a non-title bout against Anthony Joshua in September 2015.

Earlier this month Ukad announced it was withdrawing its charge against Whyte, who gained a unanimous points win over Poland's Mariusz Wach on the undercard of Joshua's revenge win over Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

Mariusz Wach and Dillian Whyte
Dillian Whyte's win over Mariusz Wach in Saudi Arabia means the British fighter has won 27 of his 28 professional bouts
A WBC statement said: "Based on limited but detailed research and information gathering, including the WBC's consultation with two independent experts, the WBC found that there was no sufficient or conclusive evidence that Whyte intentionally, or even knowingly, ingested a banned substance with the purpose of enhancing his performance in any fashion.

"In light of the WBC's own finding and of Ukad's withdrawal of the claim against Mr Whyte, the WBC has closed its internal investigation.

"The WBC is hereby lifting its provisional suspension and confirming its recognition of Mr Whyte as WBC Interim world heavyweight champion."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50749127

UKAD are the most corrupt doping governing body out there today and the most incompetent without a doubt in my mind

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/...eward-new-trainer-deontay-wilder-ben-davison/

CHANGE Boxing news: Tyson Fury announces SugarHill Steward as new trainer for Deontay Wilder rematch following split from Ben Davison

This is probably inspired by Fury's dad this split who was unhappy with the outing vs Wallin, I don't feel compatible with this firing and also this late prior to the fight with Wilder. Sugar Hill is the nephew of Emanuel Steward and learned from him, he is familiar with Tyson from past visits to Emanuel's gym, has trained the likes of Stevenson and Direll; the resume is not too bad and he learned from a GOAT but I still don't feel compatible with this split with Ben who was so instrumental in Tyson's return to the top, literally saved his life.

Promoter Frank Warren says he would be confident in matching Daniel Dubois against unified world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua "today".

Dubois, 22, is viewed as one of Britain's bright heavyweight prospects and is seeking a 14th win against Japan's Kyotaro Fujimoto on Saturday.

The London fighter has sparred Joshua during time with the GB amateur squad.

"If I could make him and Anthony Joshua today, I would make it," said Warren, 67. "I am so confident."

Warren added: "People say 'it's too soon'. I know who I would have my money on."

Dubois is one of a small number of fighters to stagger Joshua in sparring.

Asked if he agreed with Warren's view he could compete with the IBF, WBA and WBO world heavyweight champion if they were matched today, Dubois replied: "Definitely. This is what I have been dreaming of since the day I started, being in massive fights."

Dubois beat Nathan Gorman to capture the British heavyweight title in July and Warren hopes to keep his winning run going deep into 2020 when he believes a world-title shot could present itself.

Fujimoto will be Dubois' fifth opponent of 2019. The 33-year-old former kick-boxer has a record of 21 wins and one defeat but Saturday's bout at London's Copper Box Arena is his first outside of his homeland.

"It's been an amazing year so we are moving on past this one and on to an even better one next year," added Dubois.

"I'm young, with a lot of ability and I'm ready to be pushed on now. It's a matter of getting the right fights and for Frank to map out the route."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50840285

Tyson Fury has announced on Twitter his heavyweight rematch with Deontay Wilder will take place in Las Vegas on 22 February.

Tyson Fury has announced on Twitter his heavyweight rematch with Deontay Wilder will take place in Las Vegas on 22 February.

Finally a proper HW fight again after the poor Ruiz v Joshua 2.

Fury has the skills to outbox Wilder every round but one shot from Wilder can turn the lights out for Fury.

I want Fury to win as he is clearly the better boxer but have no idea because he will get tagged and tagged hard. It all depends he can survive the KO.

Fury will need to add some pop in his hands as it will be very hard for him to outbox Wilder for twelve rounds without getting hit at some point. He will have to adopt the same game plan by fighting on the outside, moving, being evasive, elusive, grabbing Wilder when he charges in to close the gap but this time when he tags and wobbles Wilder he has to be more aggressive and not hesitate to let his hands go

Wilder on the other hand needs to use his Jab more, attack Furys body to slow his movement, not waste his punches, be patient, set traps and only launch the right hand at the perfect opportunity

Lol. Can't wait to see the press conferences and the face off interviews

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/...eward-new-trainer-deontay-wilder-ben-davison/

This is probably inspired by Fury's dad this split who was unhappy with the outing vs Wallin, I don't feel compatible with this firing and also this late prior to the fight with Wilder. Sugar Hill is the nephew of Emanuel Steward and learned from him, he is familiar with Tyson from past visits to Emanuel's gym, has trained the likes of Stevenson and Direll; the resume is not too bad and he learned from a GOAT but I still don't feel compatible with this split with Ben who was so instrumental in Tyson's return to the top, literally saved his life.

I was leaning towards Fury until he split with Ben Davison recently. It still is a 50/50 fight however because these two could fight 10 times and there would be different winners each time due to the clash in styles.

I genuinely fear for fury's safety!
I think only one fighter before fury went the distance with wilder and in the rematch, wilder destroyed him.
I dont think fury should of taken this fight, hes got nothing to prove, he drew with wilder in their last fight, which many, not me, thought he had won. He should have gone for AJ instead.

I genuinely fear for fury's safety!
I think only one fighter before fury went the distance with wilder and in the rematch, wilder destroyed him.
I dont think fury should of taken this fight, hes got nothing to prove, he drew with wilder in their last fight, which many, not me, thought he had won. He should have gone for AJ instead.
I think wilder is the baddest man on the planet!
I reckon you can put wilder up against any fighter/ combat star in a freestyle fight and wilder will destroy them.
Fury should have run, enjoyed his wealth and health, i fear for him.

I think wilder is the baddest man on the planet!
I reckon you can put wilder up against any fighter/ combat star in a freestyle fight and wilder will destroy them.
Fury should have run, enjoyed his wealth and health, i fear for him.

Wilder is the most dangerous puncher on the planet and he has arguably the most powerful right hand in my opinion and the most powerful right cross I have ever seen in HW boxing since I have been following my sport and from that POV I understand the nature of his power, however it makes no sense to me that you fear for Fury considering his performance in the last fight regardless of your view on the outcome and also when you take into account the fact that Fury has the best style in the Heavyweight division to potentially mitigate the power of Wilder. If Fury stands square like a punching bag in front of him I would get that fear but Fury even on the inside bobs and weaves although that is definitely more of a high risk high reward ploy.

Anthony Joshua would aim for early KO win over Deontay Wilder

Anthony Joshua has revealed how he would target a ruthless early knockout win over Deontay Wilder if they finally meet in an undisputed world title fight in 2020.

The rival heavyweight champions hold all four titles between them, with Joshua regaining his WBA 'Super', IBF and WBO belts in a rematch win over Andy Ruiz Jr, while Wilder defended his WBC strap with a seventh-round knockout win over Luis Ortiz.

Joshua produced a masterful display of back-foot boxing to defeat Ruiz Jr on points in Saudi Arabia, but insists he would employ a far more aggressive style to prevent Wilder from finding the range for his destructive right hand.

Analysing Wilder's win over Ortiz, Joshua told Sky Sports: "He wouldn't be there to do that in the seventh round. I would go in to knock him out. It's heavyweight against heavyweight, champion against champion.

"This is a serious fight, so I ain't going to go in there to try and outbox him for 12 rounds, because of his punching power as well. I've got to go in there and take him out. Don't let him get too comfortable in the ring with me."

Wilder has enhanced his reputation as 'The Bronze Bomber' in 2019, blasting aside Dominic Breazeale within a round earlier in the year, although Joshua insists he can defuse the heavy-handed American.

"Nah, not scary, but I know it's there," said Joshua, when asked about the threat of Wilder.

"There are certain punches. Some are like concussive, some are stinging and some are like punches where they knock you out with one punch and you're out for the count.

"Wilder possesses that kind of power. It's about eliminating that power and just studying how to deal with it really."

Joshua is awaiting news on his next fight after being ordered to make title defences against Kubrat Pulev and Oleksandr Usyk, his IBF and WBO mandatory challengers.

Wilder, who confirmed his rematch with Tyson Fury in Las Vegas on February 22, has repeatedly called for 'one champion, one face, one name,' and Joshua remains willing to accept this challenge, if the Alabama man emerges victorious.

Joshua said: "We've done it, we've unified it, in the space of 20 odd fights. He's had 40 odd fights. How come he hasn't managed to unify the division yet?

"If he's looking for it, we're the ones to do it with, and we're not hard to find. We've got a great team behind us, so reach out.

"Even though there are two at the minute, I'll let the people decide who they think is the real heavyweight champion right now.

"I always say, we're in the same division, the same era, that fight has to happen.

"We just put on an amazing event. We're going to do another amazing event god willing in the new year. He can come and be part of history. We're trying to achieve big things in boxing and to add Wilder to my list would be an honour."
https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...ould-aim-for-early-ko-win-over-deontay-wilder

Anthony Joshua would aim for early KO win over Deontay Wilder

Anthony Joshua has revealed how he would target a ruthless early knockout win over Deontay Wilder if they finally meet in an undisputed world title fight in 2020.

The rival heavyweight champions hold all four titles between them, with Joshua regaining his WBA 'Super', IBF and WBO belts in a rematch win over Andy Ruiz Jr, while Wilder defended his WBC strap with a seventh-round knockout win over Luis Ortiz.

Joshua produced a masterful display of back-foot boxing to defeat Ruiz Jr on points in Saudi Arabia, but insists he would employ a far more aggressive style to prevent Wilder from finding the range for his destructive right hand.

Analysing Wilder's win over Ortiz, Joshua told Sky Sports: "He wouldn't be there to do that in the seventh round. I would go in to knock him out. It's heavyweight against heavyweight, champion against champion.

"This is a serious fight, so I ain't going to go in there to try and outbox him for 12 rounds, because of his punching power as well. I've got to go in there and take him out. Don't let him get too comfortable in the ring with me."

Wilder has enhanced his reputation as 'The Bronze Bomber' in 2019, blasting aside Dominic Breazeale within a round earlier in the year, although Joshua insists he can defuse the heavy-handed American.

"Nah, not scary, but I know it's there," said Joshua, when asked about the threat of Wilder.

"There are certain punches. Some are like concussive, some are stinging and some are like punches where they knock you out with one punch and you're out for the count.

"Wilder possesses that kind of power. It's about eliminating that power and just studying how to deal with it really."

Joshua is awaiting news on his next fight after being ordered to make title defences against Kubrat Pulev and Oleksandr Usyk, his IBF and WBO mandatory challengers.

Wilder, who confirmed his rematch with Tyson Fury in Las Vegas on February 22, has repeatedly called for 'one champion, one face, one name,' and Joshua remains willing to accept this challenge, if the Alabama man emerges victorious.

Joshua said: "We've done it, we've unified it, in the space of 20 odd fights. He's had 40 odd fights. How come he hasn't managed to unify the division yet?

"If he's looking for it, we're the ones to do it with, and we're not hard to find. We've got a great team behind us, so reach out.

"Even though there are two at the minute, I'll let the people decide who they think is the real heavyweight champion right now.

"I always say, we're in the same division, the same era, that fight has to happen.

"We just put on an amazing event. We're going to do another amazing event god willing in the new year. He can come and be part of history. We're trying to achieve big things in boxing and to add Wilder to my list would be an honour."
https://www.skysports.com/boxing/ne...ould-aim-for-early-ko-win-over-deontay-wilder

Lol, I back Wilder to take AJ's best punches and then land his own and flatten AJ. 1-2 round ko for Wilder.

No way AJ is the brave one in this fight, he knows his jaw is suspect

Lol, I back Wilder to take AJ's best punches and then land his own and flatten AJ. 1-2 round ko for Wilder.

No way AJ is the brave one in this fight, he knows his jaw is suspect

He'd have to box and move, easier to do vs Ruiz then a Wilder but there's a tool set which can be built upon, AJ would need to work more on holding the centre then predominately spending time on the back-foot. But in a way I get the going for a stoppage early because the longer a fight goes the more opportunity Wilder has to land the KO blow. But it is all talk at this stage, Wilder and Fury are the divisions flag bearers and the greatest HW's of this era; the rematch is the defining fight to vindicate the best of this era. And I am inclined to believe that AJ would eventually face at least one of these guys because of the money although am sure he would probably prefer Fury more though; I'd like to see that fight over here to, would be the greatest British sporting event since the 1966 World Cup Final

Have read conflicting reports that no.1 light heavyweight and top 10 P4P fighter Artur Beterbiev will soon vacate his IBF title after a chinese company won purse bid for his next fight due to ethnic cleansing of muslims in china, the fight was also expected to take place over there

Have read conflicting reports that no.1 light heavyweight and top 10 P4P fighter Artur Beterbiev will soon vacate his IBF title after a chinese company won purse bid for his next fight due to ethnic cleansing of muslims in china, the fight was also expected to take place over there

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/650174/boxing-news-joshua-buatsi-eddie-hearn/

Looks like this is very likely [MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] , if so Joshua Buatsi could get a title shot ! unless he is matched carefully and I expect Eddie to do so e.g Charles Martin don't think I would put him in there with a top 5 contender, it's a packed division but Meng is rated no.1 in the IBF rankings while Buatsi is no.3; neither deserve to be in the top 10, the RING ratings are much better. Buatsi is one hell of a talent however no doubt about that, if offered the shot he should take it; then I guess he will be protected until he is ready to take a risk against someone like Pascal or Jack who are ageing warriors

[MENTION=16]Amjid Javed[/MENTION] any fights you're looking forward to in 2020

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/650174/boxing-news-joshua-buatsi-eddie-hearn/

Looks like this is very likely [MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] , if so Joshua Buatsi could get a title shot ! unless he is matched carefully and I expect Eddie to do so e.g Charles Martin don't think I would put him in there with a top 5 contender, it's a packed division but Meng is rated no.1 in the IBF rankings while Buatsi is no.3; neither deserve to be in the top 10, the RING ratings are much better. Buatsi is one hell of a talent however no doubt about that, if offered the shot he should take it; then I guess he will be protected until he is ready to take a risk against someone like Pascal or Jack who are ageing warriors

Bautsi is a good talent but maybe a little early for a title shot, he needs to smooth out his game first imo. Tbf to him it was a pretty much error free performance apart from round 2 against Ford. I would like to see Jack fight again soon. Nice to see some exciting British prospects coming through, hopefully in a few years we will have multiple weight world champions.

Bautsi is a good talent but maybe a little early for a title shot, he needs to smooth out his game first imo. Tbf to him it was a pretty much error free performance apart from round 2 against Ford. I would like to see Jack fight again soon. Nice to see some exciting British prospects coming through, hopefully in a few years we will have multiple weight world champions.

Same, there is rumour though that Jack could face another top 5 fighter; he has a tremendous resume and I just feel you shouldn't go into so many hard hard fights against top opposition in a row it just fast tracks the end of your career and takes so much gas out the tank. Also needs to catch a break with a W. I watched Crawford slug it out against Kavaliauskas, Crawford was dropped although it was ruled no knockdown when it clearly was but he largely dominated in an entertaining scrap in the end before stopping him; Crawford refused to box and displayed a killers instinct with his aggression; it's good but I feel he gets tagged too clean for my liking at times, even in the fight against Khan was eating rights flush; you can't afford to get hit with shots like that against someone like Spence but am sure he'd be more cautious in that fight but definitely an area for him to address those lapses

Same, there is rumour though that Jack could face another top 5 fighter; he has a tremendous resume and I just feel you shouldn't go into so many hard hard fights against top opposition in a row it just fast tracks the end of your career and takes so much gas out the tank. Also needs to catch a break with a W. I watched Crawford slug it out against Kavaliauskas, Crawford was dropped although it was ruled no knockdown when it clearly was but he largely dominated in an entertaining scrap in the end before stopping him; Crawford refused to box and displayed a killers instinct with his aggression; it's good but I feel he gets tagged too clean for my liking at times, even in the fight against Khan was eating rights flush; you can't afford to get hit with shots like that against someone like Spence but am sure he'd be more cautious in that fight but definitely an area for him to address those lapses

Crawford comes across as a real fighter, someone who can fight in the ring or on the streets. He is tough as nails but I agree no matter the chin, you keep getting hit and hit flush you will eventually suffer, if not a KO but damage which can make you lose the fight.

Marvin Hagler had an iron chin, took some great powerful shots and sometimes hardly moved. He reminds me a bit of Crawford but perhaps Crawford has the better boxing skills and Hagler was perhaps tougher but it's hard to say until Crawford fights the like of Spence. Tommy the Hitman Hearns was one of the most powerful pound for pound boxers, he hit Hagler hard who just recovered like a new born baby after a min or so. When Hagler eventually hit the canvass for the first time, he got up and said he slipped. :)

Was Crawford hurt when he was dropped?

Crawford comes across as a real fighter, someone who can fight in the ring or on the streets. He is tough as nails but I agree no matter the chin, you keep getting hit and hit flush you will eventually suffer, if not a KO but damage which can make you lose the fight.

Marvin Hagler had an iron chin, took some great powerful shots and sometimes hardly moved. He reminds me a bit of Crawford but perhaps Crawford has the better boxing skills and Hagler was perhaps tougher but it's hard to say until Crawford fights the like of Spence. Tommy the Hitman Hearns was one of the most powerful pound for pound boxers, he hit Hagler hard who just recovered like a new born baby after a min or so. When Hagler eventually hit the canvass for the first time, he got up and said he slipped. :)

Was Crawford hurt when he was dropped?

Yes, he has a tremendous chin and heart; but the law of averages can still catch up being a small guy in essence because he is more of a natural 140 pounder; despite that has performed exceptionally well despite struggling to find opponents due to most welters being under the control of Uncle Al. And that is a very good comparison aha he does have similar qualities but as you say we will need to see them proven further at 147, to be honest I wouldn't say he was hurt but did get dropped / caught in the wrong position by a solid fighter with excellent amateur pedigree. Spence / Crawford continue their feud on social media, I think Spence needs a tune up or 2 to get his head straight and also stop hanging around with morons like Broner / Davis who also needs to focus more on his career

Danny Garcia claims Ivan Redkach said "Mike Tyson" to him when the Ukrainian bit him during the American's win by unanimous decision on Saturday.

Garcia says Redkach bit his left shoulder during the eighth round of their welterweight fight in Brooklyn.

Evander Holyfield had part of his ear bitten off by Tyson in their 1997 bout.

"I might be the second fighter in history to be bit, right?" said Garcia, 31. "Evander Holyfield and Danny Garcia, put me in the history books."

Garcia improved his record to 36-2 with the win over Redkach, 33, in what was billed as a welterweight world title eliminator.

In his post-fight news conference, the former two-weight world champion added: "I just felt something digging into my skin, I thought a mosquito had got me.

"Then I look over and he's biting me.

"He has new teeth too, he's got some brand-new veneers, he was putting them bad boys to work."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/51255712

Must admit, haven't watched much Boxing from around the winter period with the notable fights being the ones involving Jack, Gervonta and the lightweight Lopez but am super excited for Fury v Wilder 2 in about 3 weeks time ! the biggest heavyweight fight this century between the best in HW boxing. However you want to spin the narrative, it's a genuine 50/50 battle between the old classic rivalry in the sports history between the boxer and puncher.

Wilder v Fury II: Tyson Fury will be worried by first-fight knockdowns, says Deontay Wilder

Deontay Wilder believes Tyson Fury is scared and will be having sleepless nights before their world heavyweight title rematch later this month.

The pair fight in Las Vegas on 22 February for Wilder's WBC championship.

Their bout in December 2018 ended in a controversial draw with the American knocking Fury down twice, although the Englishman also thought he had won.

"When you get knocked down by someone, you never forget it or how they did it," said 34-year-old Wilder.

Speaking on a media conference call from the United States on Tuesday, he added: "Deep down I feel he's nervous, very nervous from what happened the first time.

"When you go in there for a second time it has to be stressful and you definitely can't sleep at night.

"He's worried and I don't think his confidence is that high because of the state I left him in before.

"I gave this man concussion and it will happen again because the head is not meant to be hit, especially by the power of Deontay Wilder, so he has a lot to think about."

Both men are unbeaten with their draw in Los Angeles 14 months ago being the only time they have not won a professional fight.

Fury, 31, last fought against Sweden's Otto Wallin and, despite sustaining a bad cut close to his eye early on, won via a unanimous points decision.

However, since then Fury has changed trainers, moving from Ben Davison to Javan 'Sugar' Hill Steward, the nephew of the late Emmanuel Steward, who trained Lennox Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko.

"Fury can say he beat me by a wide margin but he doesn't believe that - that's why he wants to change so many things," added Wilder. "If he believed he won he wouldn't have changed much - the next thing he is going to do is go to a spiritual advisor.

"Wallin had a game plan and executed it. That fight should've been stopped with a cut so deep and I look forward to re-cutting that eye.

"Once it's open again and the blood is in his face I'm coming in for the kill. I don't play around.

"I knocked him out the first time but I didn't get it and I'm going to knock him out again."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/51469518

Tyson Fury says he will have to knock out Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas to avoid a repeat of the judging controversy of their first fight.

The British heavyweight, despite hitting the canvas twice, believed he had won their enthralling December 2018 WBC contest, declared a draw.

"I believe I out-boxed him," said Fury, who fights Wilder again on 22 February.

"To guarantee a win, I need a knockout. I don't want another controversial decision - I want a defining win."

Fury, nicknamed the Gypsy King, was knocked down in the ninth and 12th rounds but nevertheless impressed as he went the distance in what was his first world title fight since returning to boxing the previous June, after a three-year absence.

The spectacle in Los Angeles was scored 115-111 for Wilder, 114-112 for Fury and 113-113.

Find out how to get into boxing with our special guide.

The 31-year-old, speaking during a conference call, added: "I'm not a judge and these guys see what they see, but my own destiny lies with my own two fists."

Fury, who has been training in Las Vegas for the past eight weeks, believes he is in better condition than he was for their first meeting and says the public have already seen the best of his American opponent.

"I learned in that first fight that he can be hit and hurt," added the Briton who - like Wilder - has won every professional fight bar that one draw in 2018. "He's got a big right hand and that's it. He's a one-dimensional fighter.

"He had me down twice and had two minutes in each of those rounds to finish me. Like in Mortal Kombat when they say, 'Finish him'... but he couldn't finish. He landed two of the best punches any heavyweight in the world could land, but the 'Gypsy King' rose like a phoenix from the ashes.

"The biggest mistake I made was not making him pay when he was hurt. However, I didn't know what was left in my tank because I hadn't been 12 rounds for a long time. This time I'll throw everything bar the kitchen sink. He won't know what hit him."

'Pound-for-pound is like fantasy baseball, isn't it?
If Fury does dethrone Wilder to become the WBC champion, then he will have won every major heavyweight title during a career that began in 2008.

The Manchester-born boxer reiterated that he was not interested in leaving a legacy and was also unmoved by the possibility of being regarded the best current pound-for-pound fighter with victory over his opponent.

"I'm not sure how pound-for-pound works, it's like fantasy baseball isn't it? Everybody has an opinion on what's the best or whatever," he said.

"I've never been able to follow pound-for-pound. It's like if an eagle had feet, it would be able to run faster than an ostrich. Or if a cow could fly then could it fly faster than an aeroplane? It's people's opinion, randomly making up stuff.

"What I do I know is when I beat Deontay Wilder I'll be the best heavyweight of my era - standing alone."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/51497816

American lightweight Ryan Garcia needed just 80 seconds to knock out Nicaragua's Francisco Fonseca as he secured a brutal win in California.

Unbeaten Garcia, 21, caught Fonseca with a left hook to the head to send him to the canvas and secure his first-round victory in Anaheim.

"I was planning for it to go longer," Garcia told DAZN after the fight.

Garcia says he is now targeting fights against Jorge Linares, Luke Campbell, Gervonta Davis and Devin Haney.

It was Garcia's second first-round knockout in a row, having beaten Romero Duno for the World Boxing Council Silver Light title in November.

He was joined in the ring after his fight on Friday night by American Haney, the WBC lightweight champion in recess, who is recovering from a shoulder injury.

Earlier in the night in the co-main event, Venezuela's three-weight champion Linares beat Carlos Morales with a fourth round knockout.

Promoter Oscar de la Hoya says he wants Garcia to fight Linares in July at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

"I said if he [Linares] had a good performance I will fight him," said Garcia, who has managed 17 knockouts among his 20 wins.

"I had a plan for 2020 that was to shock the world. I am about to shock the world, I will beat Linares, beat Luke Campbell, beat Gervonta Davis and then go after Devin."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/51513872

Wilder v Fury II: Tyson Fury will be worried by first-fight knockdowns, says Deontay Wilder

Deontay Wilder believes Tyson Fury is scared and will be having sleepless nights before their world heavyweight title rematch later this month.

The pair fight in Las Vegas on 22 February for Wilder's WBC championship.

Their bout in December 2018 ended in a controversial draw with the American knocking Fury down twice, although the Englishman also thought he had won.

"When you get knocked down by someone, you never forget it or how they did it," said 34-year-old Wilder.

Speaking on a media conference call from the United States on Tuesday, he added: "Deep down I feel he's nervous, very nervous from what happened the first time.

"When you go in there for a second time it has to be stressful and you definitely can't sleep at night.

"He's worried and I don't think his confidence is that high because of the state I left him in before.

"I gave this man concussion and it will happen again because the head is not meant to be hit, especially by the power of Deontay Wilder, so he has a lot to think about."

Both men are unbeaten with their draw in Los Angeles 14 months ago being the only time they have not won a professional fight.

Fury, 31, last fought against Sweden's Otto Wallin and, despite sustaining a bad cut close to his eye early on, won via a unanimous points decision.

However, since then Fury has changed trainers, moving from Ben Davison to Javan 'Sugar' Hill Steward, the nephew of the late Emmanuel Steward, who trained Lennox Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko.

"Fury can say he beat me by a wide margin but he doesn't believe that - that's why he wants to change so many things," added Wilder. "If he believed he won he wouldn't have changed much - the next thing he is going to do is go to a spiritual advisor.

"Wallin had a game plan and executed it. That fight should've been stopped with a cut so deep and I look forward to re-cutting that eye.

"Once it's open again and the blood is in his face I'm coming in for the kill. I don't play around.

"I knocked him out the first time but I didn't get it and I'm going to knock him out again."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/51469518

If he were that worried the man wouldn't be facing him to begin with, there are plenty of fighters out there who relish the idea of facing a guy who is capable of putting them in a body bag

American lightweight Ryan Garcia needed just 80 seconds to knock out Nicaragua's Francisco Fonseca as he secured a brutal win in California.

Unbeaten Garcia, 21, caught Fonseca with a left hook to the head to send him to the canvas and secure his first-round victory in Anaheim.

"I was planning for it to go longer," Garcia told DAZN after the fight.

Garcia says he is now targeting fights against Jorge Linares, Luke Campbell, Gervonta Davis and Devin Haney.

It was Garcia's second first-round knockout in a row, having beaten Romero Duno for the World Boxing Council Silver Light title in November.

He was joined in the ring after his fight on Friday night by American Haney, the WBC lightweight champion in recess, who is recovering from a shoulder injury.

Earlier in the night in the co-main event, Venezuela's three-weight champion Linares beat Carlos Morales with a fourth round knockout.

Promoter Oscar de la Hoya says he wants Garcia to fight Linares in July at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

"I said if he [Linares] had a good performance I will fight him," said Garcia, who has managed 17 knockouts among his 20 wins.

"I had a plan for 2020 that was to shock the world. I am about to shock the world, I will beat Linares, beat Luke Campbell, beat Gervonta Davis and then go after Devin."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/51513872

That left hook was a peach, Garcia is one hell of a talent and a force to reckon with at lightweight, has age on his side so should continue on his path before testing himself against a champion

So excited for Wilder-Fury 2.

Think Fury will win by a SD (no UD in Vegas against Wilder possible).

So excited for Wilder-Fury 2.

Think Fury will win by a SD (no UD in Vegas against Wilder possible).

I still think in America a fight which is close will always be a home cooking decision, if that is to be entertained Fury will have to win minimum 10-11 rounds without getting knocked down. He has repeatedly emphasised they are training for the KO, you can never predict what a fighter is going to do despite the pre-fight words; but in theory it's not a game plan which is out of this world because Fury is capable of fighting on the inside / applying pressure, we've seen him do so during the early portion of his career and also in his last fight; I don't think it would be a matter of swinging for the fences with his chin sticking out but looking to slip, slide and counter like a mexican technician as you come forward, if he does that would be interesting as we've never seen Wilder thrive of his back foot.

The general perception is that this time Wilder will be a lot more patient, be confident that he can knock his man down whether it is round 1 or 12; go for the body and look to set up his haymaker of a right hand; the odds are leaning towards him a little because there is a feeling he will be able to make an adjustment to get the win. However, Fury's skills have been overlooked in the sense that he has shown more in his boxing career that ability to make an adjustment plus will be more battle conditioned, we saw the change in styles in the early 2010s when he decided to use more lateral movement and his physical gifts; focusing more on speed and accuracy, more recently in the fight with Wallin when range wasn't working for him against a southpaw and that awful cut he came forward.

Mouthwatering fight and it is a genuine 50/50 for me although more will lean towards Wilder due to his scary power, almost like another Foreman/Ali scenario. I do tend to favour the boxer over the puncher but tough to make a prediction, super excited though; when do we ever see two undefeated HW boxers that are ranked no.1 and no.2 go at it for the richest prize in our sport ? it truly is a unique situation and we are truly blessed in that regard especially in this modern era

Back