Buildup thread: FIFA 2022 World Cup to take place between November 21 - December 18 in Qatar

hasanb

ODI Debutant
Runs
Just saw a very interesting report on the BBC stating that FIFA are actively considering shifting the 2022 world cup to December, and thus in one stroke eliminating the issue of the heat in the Gulf during the summer. Michel Platini and Sepp Blatter have now said they support this idea.

On top of that Sepp Blatter has revealed that other countries in the middle east are very interested in hosting matches during 2022. Blatter himself has apparently already held talks with representatives with some countries and ore are interested. He says that should Qaar agree a Pan Middle East world cup could happen.

All in all the winter of 2022 may well be a very good world cup indeed by the sounds of it now if these proposals happen! :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9297416.stm

Last edited by a moderator:
It's gonna totally mess up the leagues that year, assuming they still exist then as they do now.

Edit: Not to mention that this is extremely unfair to the countries bidding alongside Qatar, as they were in for a World Cup in the summer and not a December World Cup.

Last edited:
It's gonna totally mess up the leagues that year, assuming they still exist then as they do now.

Edit: Not to mention that this is extremely unfair to the countries bidding alongside Qatar, as they were in for a World Cup in the summer and not a December World Cup.

Well the only leagues being messed up would be the European ones and everyone else would be able to adjust easily. I believe UEFA are the ones who floated this idea in the first place so theyre on board with it in the first place.

I think its a good idea...why should the world cup be restricted to just a particular slot...this will open it up to more potential bidders as well. Also I dont think this would have made the slightest difference to other countries bidding alongside Qatar, it wouldnt have made any real difference to their bid.

Whiel UEFA may be on board, what makes up those various federations? The clubs. No way the clubs will allow it. The World Cup is a great spectacle but at the end of the day it is the clubs that bear the most risk as they pay the highest amount for their wages.

The World Cup should stay in the summer. As that is what it was when they were bidding and all of a sudden FIFA now realize its too hot? What happened to the air-conditioned stadiums? This already has been taken into consideration.

The one thing working for them is time. They at least have time on their side to convince all people involved but I just can't see the clubs agreeing. They already hate these African Nation cups mid-season. FIFA could just say get lost and force the clubs to follow it....but then I fear that could spark somewhat of a war. FOr years there been rumours of a superleague amongst the top teams and if FIFA just ignores the clubs wishes....then you can see such a movement gathering steam.

I decided to have a brief look at the infrastructure available in the middle east based on current information for a world cup, and what fans are likely to experience...in terms of facilities, culture and open-ness. I'm doing this in light of the FIFA president raising the possibility of other Gulf countries hosting matches as well. I'm also doing this to raise some discussion about peoples feelings towards the Gulf...especially in light of the amazing ignorance that was on display from some people when the WC was awarded to Qatar initially, so here goes:

Trip to the Middle East for the FIFA World Cup 2022

A football fans trip to the middle-east could start at Londons Heathrow Airport as they are about to board an Emirates Airlines flight to Dubai, their first stop in the middle east for the FIFA World Cup. Your first flavor of the middle east will be on board the Emirates Aircraft…and it might be dawning on some fans around about now…that perhaps they aren’t going back to the stone ages after all.

Emirates Airlines A380

original.aspx

As you step onto the aircraft you’ll get your first sense of the grand and ultra modern way that the ME like to do things in even if you are seated in economy class…and for those lucky enough to be in first class…opulence awaits you.

Emirates Airlines Economy Class

28_bz_a380cabin_econ_gn_5.jpg

Emirates Airlines First Class

Emirates%20A380-First-Class-600x400.jpg

Destination 1: Dubai, UAE

sss.gif

After what will hopefully be a nice and relaxing flight you’ll arrive at Dubai International Airport…the airport which is one of the major international hubs in the world…will perhaps be a little different to the Afghan cave that some fans might have been expecting.
Landing at Dubai Airport

[utube]0e1tPgiRUgE[/utube]

Dubai Airport Arrivals hall

071609_1803_10biggestbu1.jpg

After arriving in Dubai a few of the ignorant fans may have perhaps thought they would need to hitch a ride on a passing camel or on the back of a truck perhaps to get to their accomodation…instead a state of the art metro system awaits them, those people based in the UK who may have been whining about the ME…here’s an interesting fact, the Dubai metro offers continuous mobile phone coverage and 3G internet coverage on its trains even underground…something the London Underground distinctly lacks.

The Dubai Metro

dubai-metro1.jpg

Dubai offers a multitude of the world most luxurious hotels such as the Burj Al Arab, The Atlantis, The Monarch and all of the worlds top 5 star chains. For those fans on a bit of a budget Dubai offers a whole host of lower cost hotels as well such as the Ibis and Premier Inn hotels dotted all over the city.

The Monarch Hotel

016a68853a291ef16500bd26216b0c7fh.JPG

The Ibis Hotel World Trade Centre Dubai

Ibis-World-Trade-Centre-Dubai.jpg

After a good nights rest in your hotel it might be a good idea to head out and explore some of Dubai’s tourist sights such as the worlds tallest building, the Palm Islands, it plethora of modern shopping malls including the worlds largest shopping mall…amongst other things such as the desert or the beach, however it would be recommended to visit these places at night due to the heat of the summer. Contrary to the belief of the ignorant few there is no Islamic dress code and fans should be free to wear whatever it is they wish to wear.

Dubai’s Pristine Beaches with the Burj Al Arab in the background

4a1210ad24902.jpg

Burj Khalifa the Worlds Tallest Building

burj-dubai-at-night.jpg

Dune Bashing in the Desert

desert-safari-dune-bashing-in-dubai-21284156.jpg

Dubai Mall – The Worlds largest Shopping Mall

Dubai_Mall_02.jpg

Fans might want to indulge in some of Dubai’s nightlife, there will be many people who for reasons unknown seem to think that there is no alcohol consumed in the middle east…that no nightlife exists, this could not be further from the truth…according to a recent article in The Telegraph you are likely to find more people drunk after a night out…or after a session of the legendary “brunching” than in the UK! Clubs such as Peppermint, Zinc and Trilogy are among the most famous and frequented in Dubai.

Peppermint club in Dubai

dubai-nightlife.jpg

The sports credentials of Dubai are immense to say the least, people who think the middle east will be ill prepared to host a World Cup are living in a fools world. Dubai hosts ATP Tennis tournaments for both men and women, it hosts some of the worlds most prestigious Golf tournaments, it hosts international cricket amongst a multitude of other sports.

The FIFA World Cup experience in Dubai is likely to centre around the world class Dubai Sports City. This is already home to a football academy that is part of the Manchester United Schools System, therefore giving it credentials with regards to grass roots development.

MUSS:

83427-DSC.jpg

Dubai also hosted an official FIFA World Cup Fanzone which was in a specially created ball shaped arena in the Barasti area of Dubai. Fans got to feel as if they were sitting in an actual stadium and it made for an excellent atmosphere

Barasti-stadium.jpg

According to current plans DSC will have 2 top class football stadiums as shown in the masterplan below, these stadiums are likely to be further modernised should Dubai get to host matches at the World Cup 2022

Dubai_Sports_City_Kricket_Rugby_Fussball_Leichtathletik_Hockey_Arena_Asienspiele_2014.jpg

Last edited:
qadtar.gif

So then after exploring Dubai…its time to head off to Doha…and experience the Qatari part of the World cup 2022! There are a wide variety of flights available, Emirates and Qatar Airways offer services almost every hour of the day…while if your budget is a little lower then perhaps you could try budget airlines such as Fly Dubai and Air Arabia…the Dubai – Doha route is extremely popular and the two cities are very well connected.

20070806_qatar-airways.jpg

The following clip is of arriving into Doha Airport, it shows very nice views of the new Qatar Pearl development, the highrises of Doha as well as of Doha Port. Some of the ignorant members here on PP may have expected to land on a sand dune perhaps, this would show that their estimation wasnt quite so accurate.

[utube]LvqRRc_TgJg[/utube]

Doha just like Dubai plays host to a range of high class luxury hotels as well as more affordable hotels providing a wealth of choice for accomodation, with more major development plans in place for 2022 as well.

Doha-skyline-night-1_512.jpg

Sheraton Hotel Doha

art+sheraton-3.jpg

Doha too has a plethora of shopping malls as well as a massive agenda of development to create more tourist sites. However the section on Doha will instead focus on their sporting credentials. Qatar has a very fanatical football fan base and they have very strong and established grassroots development programmes. None more so than the world famous Aspire academy for football and other posts. They are based in a stunning complex that includes indoor and outdoor stadia and training facilites. The Aspire Academy is pictured below.

aerielshots13aug063jv5.jpg

dohad.jpg

Doha has shown its pedigree in not only hosting similar sporting events to Dubai, but they have gone the extra mile by hosting international football matches between the worlds top nations as well as hosting the Asian Games at the newly built Khalifa Stadium.

qatar12.jpg

[utube]tsw5nbNCy5o[/utube]

The atmosphere at the stadiums and the buzz around the cities is likely to be an amazing one as the people of the Gulf experience their first ever world cup. The lengths this region is willing to go to make this world cup like never before is perhaps epitomised best in the following clip showing Doha's astounding stadium plans

[utube]d-z2jtUS9-Y[/utube]

The final part looks at some of the other potential host cities in a Pan Gulf world cup experience. All of these cities are very modern and open as the Dubai section shows however we will concentrate on the stadia currently in place at these venues as a type of assesment of their readyness and ability to build adequate infrastructure.

A causeway to be built connecting Doha with both Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. This would be an ideal way to travel between these host cities. Abu Dhabi which is working into making itself into a truly world destination hosting an F1 Grand Prix and having one of the worlds only 7 star hotels, recently embarked on upgrading its Jazira Stadium to host the FIFA World Club Cup 2010 which is currently taking place in the UAE.

The Jazira stadium is not the main stadium in Abu Dhabi, however it shows very well how existing stadiums and clubs can get a huge boon out of this sort of tournament.

This is how the stadium was prior to renovation:

22047072.jpg

This is how the renovated stadium will look like:

Stadium-Design-of-Mohamed-Bin-Zayed-by-AFL-Architects.jpg

The stadium is still under construction but this is how it looks currently:

abu_dhabi_bin1.jpg

What this shows is that a Pan Gulf World cup won't just be about spending huge amounts of money on new stadiums, but it will also be about upgrading existing facilities..creating a legacy for the clubs and teams that play in those stadiums currently as well as for that area as a whole. The stands are also very steep and right up close to the action which would create an excellent atmosphere...contrary to the belief of those who think the Gulf would just build "identi-kit" stadiums with no atmosphere.

To round things off I'm going to briefly have a look at Bahrain, Kuwait and Riyadh 3 of the other likely host cities:

Riyadh (King Fahd Stadium):

1284116-King_Khalid_International_Football_Stadium-Riyadh.jpg

Kuwait (Jaber Stadium):

local78cc46.jpg

Bahrain (Manama):

88287597.jpg

21st century Arabia...is a very very very different place to what some people imagine it to be. The world cup in 2022 is the ideal opportunity to open a few eyes i believe.

Well the only leagues being messed up would be the European ones and everyone else would be able to adjust easily.
If you take out these European leagues what else is left? I mean it's all well and good if the J-League or MLS or Qatar League don't get affected. However the vast majority of the players who represent their countries at World Cups play in Europe's top leagues. And these clubs have a lot of power as to how fixtures get drawn up even on the international calendar.

12 years is a long time to sort these issues out but if league calendars stay the way they are I don't see how it's possible to have a World Cup in December.
Also I dont think this would have made the slightest difference to other countries bidding alongside Qatar, it wouldnt have made any real difference to their bid.
Are you kidding me? June/July is winter in Australia. Do you think they would not have marketed their bid differently for what actually would have been a summer World Cup for them?

But regardless, that's not the point. The point is you can't change the process after the fact or have separate standards for competing bids. That is, if FIFA decided that 2022 will be a winter World Cup so that countries with hot summers can have a chance to host, this should've been made clear before bids were accepted.

All this does is further enhance FIFA's shadiness credentials.

FIFA would pay a very substantial compensation to the European leagues...heck Qatar would probably be willing to foot the entire bill. Problem solved.

lol this thread is more like a glossy advertisement brochure than a discussion on the merits of switching the world cup to middle of winter

lol this thread is more like a glossy advertisement brochure than a discussion on the merits of switching the world cup to middle of winter

Probably should have started a new thread for that but couldnt be bothered so just tagged it onto here. Its just the naivety of some people startled me...there are people who think that the Gulf = Afghan caves...i kid you not, hence why i posted all that.

Hassan a lot of what you posted is just hotels and shopping malls. I wasn't one of the people bashing the middle east but I don't think your post enhanced its reputation. It seems all there is to do in that country is just do shopping or visit some nice hotels if I was looking at your post as someone who has no prior knowledge.

Doesn't Dubai have a indoor ski park? And this is with the assumption Qatar will give games to Dubai and if so how many?

Last edited:
As I have listed the positives, its only fair that I also address some of the negatives. I saw a recent article on the BBC which shocked me since I would not expect this to happen in Bahrain:

Bahrain blogger 'tortured' in jail with Shia opposition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12000292

I obviously don't know how true this story is...but if it is true, then Bahrain certainly has serious issues.

A world sporting even on the scale of the World Cup though could possibly open these countries up a bit more...and perhaps cause more freedoms to be introduced, time will tell.

Hassan a lot of what you posted is just hotels and shopping malls. I wasn't one of the people bashing the middle east but I don't think your post enhanced its reputation. It seems all there is to do in that country is just do shopping or visit some nice hotels if I was looking at your post as someone who has no prior knowledge.

Doesn't Dubai have a indoor ski park? And this is with the assumption Qatar will give games to Dubai and if so how many?

yes theres a lot of other things, I only posted one shopping mall...so im not sure where you got the idea from that it was the only thing I posted.

The reason i focussed on hotels and airlines is because getting there and accommodation are key infrastructure requirements for a world cup along with airport and the transport system. That is why i focussed on those...because everyone kept on saying that other bids were technically better. I'm trying to show that infrastructure wise the Gulf is right up there. I didnt really want to make a list of all the tourist attractions.

I wanted to focus more on airports, hotels, stadiums, transport, and grassroots football infrastructure.

Perhaps i should have made that clearer.

Last edited:
That is why i focussed on those...because everyone kept on saying that other bids were technically better. I'm trying to show that infrastructure wise the Gulf is right up there. I didnt really want to make a list of all the tourist attractions.

Well posting some pictures does not change that. No one doubted the building but the FIFA technical team take into account various factors like traffic and risk and so forth. I can post some great pictures of Pearson Airport in Canada, but that doesn't mean its on par with other countries in terms of the criteria outlined in the technical bid. No one is dumb enough to think these countries don't have great airports, even Pakistan don't have a shabby airport. But relative to the others? Well I think we should leave that to the people conducting the review rather than just some photos and videos (as they will always exaggerate the positives but hide the negatives).

I understand your point. And they did not have a bad technical bid but then again who doesn't? Everyone knows each country has the facilities but its about the level of risk and the problems to arise. Qatar has the highest risk relative to the other bids. Hence making the whole process just a little useless. Like I said before, they should just lock them in a room...say you have 2 or 3 hours to convince them of your vote, cause that is how it works.

Last edited:
Amir you're not one of the ignorant people...i wasn't just making it up when I said there are people on this very forum who actually do think that Dubai's Airport is a shed with a camel standing next to it.

Your points are absolutely correct and are definitely worth discussing. My few posts above were aimed at those people either from the US or UK who are so naive and ignorant of countries outside their own sphere that they think a world cup in the Gulf will involve fans staying in caves.

My posts are simplistic because they are addressed solely to such people and not to someone like you who clearly knows whats going on.

Yeah fair enough Hasan, realistically though...I don't think anyone believed that. I think a lot of the people who were upset were from UK and it was just a emotional reaction. Anyone who is not living under a rock knows how developed Dubai is and we all know how rich the Middle East is. This is not some new phenomena, oil is like today's water! I think it was more a reaction to the process, just they weren't as coy about airing out their feelings.

I am sure the Middle East can stage a great World Cup, but I oppose a winter world cup. These things should be sorted out before the bid because its not very fair to Australia whose summer too is in the winter (and this would affect aspects of their technical bid if they were allowed to present it as a Winter bid). FIFA doing it now just shows their lack of planning and pretty much makes the process a even further joke than it already is.

Plus from a fan point of view, I think it will be a little overkill. The domestic season is exciting because its on going. I feel a World Cup in the middle, takes off the gloss for the rest of the season as there will be a World Cup withdrawal. In the summer its nice, we end the season in May...and then as fans we have 1-1.5 months to get excited for the World Cup.

Thats actually a good point, i think a world cup in the winter isnt the best of ideas and it would disrupt the European season big time. I mean...imagine having a massive world cup final, and then a couple of weeks later youve got to get yourself up for Bayern vs Eintracht...or Man U vs Wigan or something...it just doesnt make sense I agree with that.

I too think they should stick to Air Conditioned stadiums.

I do however support the idea of giving other Gulf cities games, I have a feeling Qatar arent going to want that though.

I do however support the idea of giving other Gulf cities games, I have a feeling Qatar arent going to want that though.

Even if they do, I can't imagine them giving any significant games. Qatar is the one that prepared the bid, they are the one that won the bid. If Dubai was keen on games, they should have came earlier. I too would like it spread but can't see it happening at least for any significant games.

I imagine though they won't mind giving Dubai/Bahrain couple of the group games or at bare minimum, warm-up games. At the end of the day, its all about ego's. If Qatar did give more games to these two countries...it make a better WC. More for the tourists to see and explore, more people get to see the game kind of thing. BUT people would talk about the MIDDLE EAST, not about Qatar (as much)...and so hence why I think Qatar will deny it. It will take away their moment.

Even if they do, I can't imagine them giving any significant games. Qatar is the one that prepared the bid, they are the one that won the bid. If Dubai was keen on games, they should have came earlier. I too would like it spread but can't see it happening at least for any significant games.

I imagine though they won't mind giving Dubai/Bahrain couple of the group games or at bare minimum, warm-up games. At the end of the day, its all about ego's. If Qatar did give more games to these two countries...it make a better WC. More for the tourists to see and explore, more people get to see the game kind of thing. BUT people would talk about the MIDDLE EAST, not about Qatar (as much)...and so hence why I think Qatar will deny it. It will take away their moment.

Absolutely spot on, I think at the most they will give Dubai, Bahrain and Kuwait...one group game each perhaps and thats it.

Which is a shame, but thats how it is...to be fair, Qatar were the ones took a massive risk and went for a bid against all odds, why should they give that away for no reason.

Absolutely spot on, I think at the most they will give Dubai, Bahrain and Kuwait...one group game each perhaps and thats it.

Which is a shame, but thats how it is...to be fair, Qatar were the ones took a massive risk and went for a bid against all odds, why should they give that away for no reason.

Its too bad Dubai didn't bid.....they would be forced to give games after their many bail outs :yk

Word on the street as well is that a Qatari group is interested in buying Manchester United......if true, then i will throw two blind eyes to all problems and support them whole-hardheartedly. Whatever they want, I agree with :p

Its too bad Dubai didn't bid.....they would be forced to give games after their many bail outs :yk

:)) indeed if Dubai was involved their economic woes wouldve been another issue of contention. As for the Qatari group buying Man U...it wont be in time before UEFA's new spending rules kick in :p

I actually respect Man U more than Man City because they arent owned by random arabs throwing obscene amounts of money at the club.

it wont be in time before UEFA's new spending rules kick in

The base is already there. I don't think we require massive surgery like Real or City so the UEFA rules would not affect us. PLUS, we generate more commercial revenue than City so we can probs spend more than them with the rules.

But really who cares about that? Old Trafford would be expanded to 100K with the outside of the top tier covered with large video screens so it is a a footy atmosphere in and outside the ground. Furthermore, the stadium will be air-conditioned AND HEATED. Meaning during the hot summer days we adjust the temperature lower, and during the cold winter days, the temperature is adjusted higher. And beside it, we, I mean, the Qatari group will build a world class shopping center with an amusement/water park. They could essentially host a whole World Cup in just one location. Manchester 2030, back the bid. :D

Players' union wants 2022 World Cup switched to winter

The world footballers' union believes the 2022 World Cup in Qatar should be held in the winter instead of summer.

With Gulf summer temperatures hitting 50C, FIFPro has said it is pleased Fifa is open to changing the tournament's timing to address the issue of heat.

The president of world football's governing body, Sepp Blatter, backed a possible switch to January 2012.

In a statement on Tuesday, FIFPro said it "does not foresee any insurmountable problems in this regard".

In the vote by Fifa's executive committee on 2 December, Qatar beat Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States to host the World Cup, which is traditionally held in June and July.

But the secretary of FIFPro's technical committee, Tijs Tummers, has questioned the decision to award Qatar the tournament based on it still being held in the summer.

"It is not sensible in a country with an average temperature of 41C in June and July, a midday temperature of 50C and, above all, extremely high humidity," Tummers said.

"Tourists are advised not to travel to Qatar in the summer months and inhabitants leave the country en masse during this period.

"[So] the summer months in Qatar also do not provide suitable conditions for a festival of football such as the World Cup should be, including for the supporters."

When Qatar was announced as host, German World Cup-winning captain and coach Franz Beckenbauer voiced concerns about the health risk of the heat to players.
And Tummers has insisted that making the switch is possible.

"Space will have to be made for the tournament, even though many countries already have a winter break," the secretary of FIFPro's technical committee added.

"In Europe, competitive matches will have to be played in August and the second half of May and the first half of June.

"If you look at what happened last weekend with weather problems in Europe because of heavy snowfall, you could see this as an advantage rather than as a problem.

"And it might, perhaps, turn out that the players will be fitter at the start of a winter World Cup than was the case last summer at the World Cup in South Africa."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9310671.stm

The last two points in bold are in fact very good points.

"If you look at what happened last weekend with weather problems in Europe because of heavy snowfall, you could see this as an advantage rather than as a problem.

Except, this is not regular. We don't know how the weather will pan out in 12 years! We are not even sure if the UK will continue to experience such snowfall.

"And it might, perhaps, turn out that the players will be fitter at the start of a winter World Cup than was the case last summer at the World Cup in South Africa."

Players will be fitter as they only had to deal with half a domestic season.....but then those star players will come back to be more tired for the domestic season.

I still feel the World Cup will take the gloss off the rest of the reason.

I still feel the World Cup will take the gloss off the rest of the reason.
I actually fear the opposite. As it stands right now the World Cup crowns the end of the season. With a winter cup both fans and players will be looking ahead past the World Cup at an unfinished job with respect to the regular season. It will devalue the World Cup.

I'm in favor of a pan-mideast WC.

Its absolutely retarded to have all those matches in one tiny country.

I'd like to see some of the North African countries like Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria and Egypt getting some matches.

Not only do they have more of a football tradition but they will be much more of tourist venue for the international fans.

I do think a Gulf World Cup would have been brilliant BUT then I do like the idea of having it all in a small area - that way fans can have one base and just travel from there, will be a whole lot easier to organise

I am unsure about the winter world cup idea - not really bothered about the european leagues having their season disrupted, I just think it would have been very unfair on Australia as they were presenting a bid that was taking place during their winter

The whole thing is a farce...

Qatar 1m odd people with the majority being expats and a ridiculously hot country are a list of reasons why it should never have made the shortlist in the first place...I cant think of many countries less suitable than Qatar...but it does have 14% of the Worlds oil reserves...

FIFA really do set the standard in terms of corruption among sporting organisations...now talks of rearranging the world cup is just pathetic...if the country cant host in the summer it shouldnt host at all...

Qatar seeks Pakistan Army assistance over FIFA World Cup 2022 security

qatar-seeks-pak-help-for-fifa-world-cup-security-1488929232-7792.jpg

RAWALPINDI: Qatar’s Prime Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani has expressed his desire to learn from Pakistan Army's experience in security domain and sought their assistance during forthcoming Football World Cup in 2022 in Qatar including provision of manpower.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/world/2017/mar/08/qatar-seeks-pakistan-army-assistance-over-fifa-world-cup-2022-security-1579053.html

Exciting that Pakistan Army would be part of the mainstream FIFA World Cup and can charge Qataris with big bucks for their services.

HOWEVER, not really in favour of helping out nations who sponsor terrorism to kill poor women and children in Syria just because of sectarian differences.

These Arabis think of us as some chowkidaar or expendable commodity. :facepalm:

Why should the PA put its men on the line for the security of the Qataris? What if something goes wrong? All the blame would be shifted to PA and Pakistan.

Exciting that Pakistan Army would be part of the mainstream FIFA World Cup and can charge Qataris with big bucks for their services.

HOWEVER, not really in favour of helping out nations who sponsor terrorism to kill poor women and children in Syria just because of sectarian differences.

Why should the PA put its men on the line for the security of the Qataris? What if something goes wrong? All the blame would be shifted to PA and Pakistan.

no PA men going to Qatar, thats for sure. we will just assist/advice and train them on security issues. thats all.

no PA men going to Qatar, thats for sure. we will just assist/advice and train them on security issues. thats all.
So where will the Qataris turn to for the manpower needed to provide all the security? They certainly couldn't do it all by themselves.

I still think that Qatar hosting the Fifa World Cup is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:

If they are paying big bucks, then Pak Army should do it.

It just shows are Arabs are lazy and do not want to work. All countries should exploit their laziness.

So this is why Pakistani visas have been re-opened. Everything has a price.

So where will the Qataris turn to for the manpower needed to provide all the security? They certainly couldn't do it all by themselves.

I still think that Qatar hosting the Fifa World Cup is a disaster waiting to happen.

Mate the disaster's ALREADY happened - hundreds of labourers have died in the construction process.

This is a blood stained World Cup where the football will be played on the graves of those migrant workers who've been subject to appalling treatment.

Mate the disaster's ALREADY happened - hundreds of labourers have died in the construction process.

This is a blood stained World Cup where the football will be played on the graves of those migrant workers who've been subject to appalling treatment.
I'm thinking in terms of something potentially happening during the World Cup itself. Out of Qatar's total population of 2.6 million, only 313,000 are Qatari citizens, ie only around 12% of the total population. The other 88% (2.3 million) are foreigners, the vast majority from 3rd world countries. And this number will increase by the time the World Cup takes place.

During the World Cup, many tens of thousands of football fans from all around the world will be converging on this country. I just cannot see how such a small country (population wise) can cope with such a large influx of people at the same time, who all need to be housed, fed, and most importantly, transported, without there being serious security issues, bearing in mind Qatar's activities in supporting groups in Syria etc., and their likely desire to retaliate against the Qataris at a time of greatest impact.

Whilst the players, support staff and the football stadiums could be made safe and secure, one cannot say the same regarding the safety of the tens of thousands of football fans that will be in the country.

Qatar is not like Saudi Arabia, who copes with millions of Hajj pilgrims every year. For the Saudi's, Hajj is not a one-off event. They have the experience of Hajj taking place every year and have the infrastructure, including manpower, in place to cope accordingly. In contrast, the World Cup will be a one-off event for the Qataris. They have no prior experience of managing such an undertaking.

Besides, dealing with pilgrims intent on performing Hajj is vastly different to dealing with rival football fans going all the way to Qatar to support their national football teams, especially if the Qataris relax the rules on alcohol for the visiting football fans.

Those that are not dead, wished they were. The construction agencies keeps their passport so they can't even go back to their own countries. They are made to live in tiny rooms and share it with seven-eight other men.

This is crazy and unfortunate that the Western world is turning a blind eye to this modern day slavery. The WC at Qatar should be cancelled and the Qatar government severely reprimanded.

Those that are not dead, wished they were. The construction agencies keeps their passport so they can't even go back to their own countries. They are made to live in tiny rooms and share it with seven-eight other men.

This is crazy and unfortunate that the Western world is turning a blind eye to this modern day slavery. The WC at Qatar should be cancelled and the Qatar government severely reprimanded.

Always dangerous to go seeking work in a country which demands an exit visa for immigrants to move out

Depends how Pak's internal situation is by and on 2022. Can't say "yes" just yet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FIFA’s 2022 World Cup in Qatar will take place between November 21st and December 18th. The World Cup has always been a welcomed spectacle during a long football free summer, rather than an interruption of the football season. Darn shame we have to wait 8 years.</p>— Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) <a href="https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1017768656686800896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 13, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A summer World Cup would have been the best thing but of course with the temperatures in Qatar you cannot have it.

So club football will be affected a lot from November to January.Interesting to see how leagues will be scheduled in that year.

this will end up being the worse WC ever, they better strip qatar and hand it to the UK if they want to save it.

Why did they even give to Qatar in the first place... I understand that they want to promote the sport in countries its not very popular in but Qatar only has a total population of 2.5 million, of which 90% are immigrants who are even not recognized as Qatari citizens. Qatar should have been very low down on the list. Heck they should have thought about some South East Asian countries as the sport is already very popular there and a WC would have given a huge boost.

Why did they even give to Qatar in the first place...?
Lots ... and lots ... and lots of money secretly going into the bank accounts of the heads of country federations and/or their brothers, sons, daughters, wives, cousins,.......I believe its called b.r.1.b.3.r.y

Qatar hosting the fifa WC is such a shame.

I guess the Indian federation voted them.Shame on them.

Lots ... and lots ... and lots of money secretly going into the bank accounts of the heads of country federations and/or their brothers, sons, daughters, wives, cousins,.......I believe its called b.r.1.b.3.r.y

They really have messed up with it and honestly it should be taken away from them.

It's a joke honestly. All stadiums will be based in Doha lol which is a city with no culture either. The fun of World Cup asides from the football is travelling around a country and soaking in the culture and interacting with people

Nothing of that sort will happen here

A few Muslims on Twitter I've seen seem to think that there is some sort of conspiracy against a Muslim country whenever the topic of taking away the World Cup from Qatar is even suggested. Honestly if holding the World Cup in a Muslim country is the aim even then I would support holding it in Turkey or Malaysia type Muslim countries which atleast are real countries with a real and vibrant culture.

Qatar hosting the fifa WC is such a shame.

I guess the Indian federation voted them.Shame on them.

Why not? Qatar gives jobs to a lot of Indians so this indirectly helps India. Qatar has given a higher quality of living to hundreds of thousands of Indians who have left their poor homes behind.

They really have messed up with it and honestly it should be taken away from them.

It's a joke honestly. All stadiums will be based in Doha lol which is a city with no culture either. The fun of World Cup asides from the football is travelling around a country and soaking in the culture and interacting with people

Nothing of that sort will happen here

A few Muslims on Twitter I've seen seem to think that there is some sort of conspiracy against a Muslim country whenever the topic of taking away the World Cup from Qatar is even suggested. Honestly if holding the World Cup in a Muslim country is the aim even then I would support holding it in Turkey or Malaysia type Muslim countries which atleast are real countries with a real and vibrant culture.

This is such a pretentious comment. Arabians have a culture, just cause you haven't experienced it and only see their wealth and modern skyscrapers doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This is such a pretentious comment. Arabians have a culture, just cause you haven't experienced it and only see their wealth and modern skyscrapers doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
No. They don't have culture because not enough of them live there. I've been to Doha and I barely saw a 5-6 natives in a week

Do you know that of 4-5 million, barely 500,000 people are Qataris. Rest are workers most of whom are being exploited

[MENTION=138463]Slog[/MENTION] is right as I half of my family are from the GCC. I think what he meant was they don't have that diverse a history or heritage. The were mostly Bedouins and the most they can offer in terms of culture is some replicates of Khaimas (tents) and how people used to live back then. They also have no natural landscapes or anything of the sort which people could visit apart from sand sliding or desert trekking probably. Most of the visitors will be spending there time on beaches or shopping in malls, water parks, etc. Nothing of cultural value.

That's unfortunate, and inconvenient for me and I'm sure many other school/uni kids. I'll be missing matches because I'll be in Uni by then Insha Allah.

Its a joke Qatar is solely hosting the WC. You have had countries like South Korea and Japan co hosting. Ukraine and Poland all of which are way bigger than Qatar. Not to mention the way it has disrupted league schedules.

A Pan Gulf WC would have been a lot better. Or id have liked to see it in the north african states which have a genuine homegrown fanbase and large supports. Qatar solely hosting the WC is like if luxembourg or liechenstein got the WC hosting rights.

Why not? Qatar gives jobs to a lot of Indians so this indirectly helps India. Qatar has given a higher quality of living to hundreds of thousands of Indians who have left their poor homes behind.

India provides Qatar maritime security in the Indian ocean so the help is mutual.

Secondly Qatar needs blue collared workers from around the world.

Third providing job to some Indians have nothing to do with how the All India Football Federation should vote.

[MENTION=138463]Slog[/MENTION] is right as I half of my family are from the GCC. I think what he meant was they don't have that diverse a history or heritage. The were mostly Bedouins and the most they can offer in terms of culture is some replicates of Khaimas (tents) and how people used to live back then. They also have no natural landscapes or anything of the sort which people could visit apart from sand sliding or desert trekking probably. Most of the visitors will be spending there time on beaches or shopping in malls, water parks, etc. Nothing of cultural value.

Do they have a footballing culture?

Do they have a footballing culture?

The locals do. They have rivalries between their local clubs and have a decent enough following but not many go to stadiums nowadays. However they do follow the many international leagues and tournaments routinely though.

The newer generation doesn't seem to have that much interest and has other things like the internet, video games etc. Also it is just the locals who have interest in the teams and they just make up only 10% or so of the population. The majority are Indians, Pakistani etc and they primarily watch Cricket. The South Indians have started to watch the ISL too now though.

Am boycotting this tournament in solidarity with all the Pakistani's, Lankans, Bengalis and Indians which have been murdered by Arabs to enable this tournament, have zero respect for anyone who supports Qatar 2022.

Pakistanis complain that arabs are racist then make ignorant comments like "Arabians do not have any culture".
[MENTION=146530]DeadBall[/MENTION] [MENTION=138463]Slog[/MENTION] read a history book for once and educate yourself. For you to be an admin on this site and talk none sense like that is embarrassing.

Pakistanis complain that arabs are racist then make ignorant comments like "Arabians do not have any culture".
[MENTION=146530]DeadBall[/MENTION] [MENTION=138463]Slog[/MENTION] read a history book for once and educate yourself. For you to be an admin on this site and talk none sense like that is embarrassing.

Clearly your comprehension skills are lacking. Perhaps you should have read my post fully before a premature tirade

What I am saying is simply this:

Qatar has a population of 2.6-3 million or so. And of these about 88% are foreign migrant workers most of whom are from the subcontinent or are Filipino. Often these foreign workers work day and night under slavish conditions.

So simply there isn't enough of native Qataris for their culture to be present and for there to be any cultural exchange in that country. It's just not possible. Also Qatar is a relatively new country and its offerings are primarily centred around malls rather than history. And on top of that all World Cup stadiums will be in Doha where the situation is likely worse in this sense. Holding the World Cup in Qatar is a joke

Last edited:

Maybe it is you who is supposed to educate himself. I am half Arab and know exactly what I'm talking about. My grandfather and great grandfathers were Bedouins who stayed in tents and used to dive in the Abra for pearls before Oil was discovered.

What I meant by no culture is that compared to the Europeans, North/South Americans or the places the world cup has been hosted, the culture is non existent. Sure one can go to a brief visit to the museum to see some pots and pans or watch some woman replicate making thireed or hrees or watch some men (not actual locals because they are too superior to dance for foreigners) do the Ayala or women (again not local) do the Khaleegi. Our tradition is too important to us to let any stranger be part of it and whatever "tradition" or culture" people will be privy to would just be some actors playing their parts.

Another point I said it is that it is a month whole tournament and people have to have something do between games, In European/Western/american countries there is a lot to do/watch/soak in, for eg just in Russia one stadium is hundreds of kilometers from another, having its own culture and tradition. In Qatar it is all Doha, which is VERY small. It will be basically just be overcrowded beaches or overcrowded malls/bars.

I hope you have been somewhat educated and if not, you can read a history book.

Maybe it is you who is supposed to educate himself. I am half Arab and know exactly what I'm talking about. My grandfather and great grandfathers were Bedouins who stayed in tents and used to dive in the Abra for pearls before Oil was discovered.

What I meant by no culture is that compared to the Europeans, North/South Americans or the places the world cup has been hosted, the culture is non existent. Sure one can go to a brief visit to the museum to see some pots and pans or watch some woman replicate making thireed or hrees or watch some men (not actual locals because they are too superior to dance for foreigners) do the Ayala or women (again not local) do the Khaleegi. Our tradition is too important to us to let any stranger be part of it and whatever "tradition" or culture" people will be privy to would just be some actors playing their parts.

Another point I said it is that it is a month whole tournament and people have to have something do between games, In European/Western/american countries there is a lot to do/watch/soak in, for eg just in Russia one stadium is hundreds of kilometers from another, having its own culture and tradition. In Qatar it is all Doha, which is VERY small. It will be basically just be overcrowded beaches or overcrowded malls/bars.

I hope you have been somewhat educated and if not, you can read a history book.

Just because your grandparents were bedouins does not mean arabs have no culture. That is such an ignorant and ill-informed thing to say. Not to mention "Arabs" can mean so many different cultures, traditions and norms.

Arabs and the arab world has an incredibly rich history and culture. You really need to educate yourself before you embarrass yourself further.

Clearly your comprehension skills are lacking. Perhaps you should have read my post fully before a premature tirade

What I am saying is simply this:

Qatar has a population of 2.6-3 million or so. And of these about 88% are foreign migrant workers most of whom are from the subcontinent or are Filipino. Often these foreign workers work day and night under slavish conditions.

So simply there isn't enough of native Qataris for their culture to be present and for there to be any cultural exchange in that country. It's just not possible. Also Qatar is a relatively new country and its offerings are primarily centred around malls rather than history. And on top of that all World Cup stadiums will be in Doha where the situation is likely worse in this sense. Holding the World Cup in Qatar is a joke

[MENTION=74419]Badsha[/MENTION] - waiting your reply

They better let us watch this in University, screw the lectures.

In all seriousness, this is an awful decision. Lets hope FIFA wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late, as this WC will be a disaster. Not to mention the disgusting amount who've died to even make this possible.

This video is fantastic and sums it up perfectly.

Just because your grandparents were bedouins does not mean arabs have no culture. That is such an ignorant and ill-informed thing to say. Not to mention "Arabs" can mean so many different cultures, traditions and norms.

Arabs and the arab world has an incredibly rich history and culture. You really need to educate yourself before you embarrass yourself further.

In regards to Arabs here we were specifically talking in regards to Qatar and in my instance the UAE and they don't have that rich a history or culture. Just repeating that I need to educate myself on a subject which is my very own and you know almost next to nothing about doesn't change anything.

Great news. If im around alive and kicking , I will take a couple of weeks off and go over to enjoy some great football, sunny weather and the nation of Qatar.

Hopefully England will qualify

[MENTION=74419]Badsha[/MENTION] - waiting your reply

I misread your post and I apologize for that. I agree with you that world cup in Qatar is a joke and the rulers/organizers there have a lot of blood on their hands. Point about foreigners in majority is also valid.

My main reply is for those that say Arabs have no culture. I think the arab hate on this forum goes too far sometimes

I misread your post and I apologize for that. I agree with you that world cup in Qatar is a joke and the rulers/organizers there have a lot of blood on their hands. Point about foreigners in majority is also valid.

My main reply is for those that say Arabs have no culture. I think the arab hate on this forum goes too far sometimes

So what about the World Cup in the US?

In regards to Arabs here we were specifically talking in regards to Qatar and in my instance the UAE and they don't have that rich a history or culture. Just repeating that I need to educate myself on a subject which is my very own and you know almost next to nothing about doesn't change anything.

that is clearly not what you said. First, you talked about Arabs in general. Second it doesn't matter if it is your own culture or not -- there are Pakistanis that say Pakistan has no culture compared to Europeans, it doesn't make their opinion valid.

Again, read a book on UAE and history of gulf. Even with that area there is so much diversity.

that is clearly not what you said. First, you talked about Arabs in general. Second it doesn't matter if it is your own culture or not -- there are Pakistanis that say Pakistan has no culture compared to Europeans, it doesn't make their opinion valid.

Again, read a book on UAE and history of gulf. Even with that area there is so much diversity.

We are on a thread about the World Cup being hosted in Qatar and that was the point of view I was talking about culturally. This is my earlier post on the matter

@Slog is right as I half of my family are from the GCC. I think what he meant was they don't have that diverse a history or heritage. The were mostly Bedouins and the most they can offer in terms of culture is some replicates of Khaimas (tents) and how people used to live back then. They also have no natural landscapes or anything of the sort which people could visit apart from sand sliding or desert trekking probably. Most of the visitors will be spending there time on beaches or shopping in malls, water parks, etc. Nothing of cultural value.

Oman has a much more diverse history (as it is much larger and started trade much earlier) and the Saudis have Mekkah and Medinah (somewhere the non Muslims can't go) so there is little to no culture the visiting football fans can be a part of or explore in Qatar. Also experiencing the local cultures in say Russia by Europeans and Westerners is VERY different from experiencing Qatari culture. They may put up some exhibitions and what not to fool the foreigners but if it were not for the money coming in they wouldn't have even bothered as they are very protective of their culture and think others to be below them to actually be part of it.

As for reading a book, unlike you, I have actually heard the history verbatim and experienced it from my grandparents and family so I don't need the likes of you telling me about my own culture, history and heritage. Also this is my last post on the subject.

We are on a thread about the World Cup being hosted in Qatar and that was the point of view I was talking about culturally. This is my earlier post on the matter

Oman has a much more diverse history (as it is much larger and started trade much earlier) and the Saudis have Mekkah and Medinah (somewhere the non Muslims can't go) so there is little to no culture the visiting football fans can be a part of or explore in Qatar. Also experiencing the local cultures in say Russia by Europeans and Westerners is VERY different from experiencing Qatari culture. They may put up some exhibitions and what not to fool the foreigners but if it were not for the money coming in they wouldn't have even bothered as they are very protective of their culture and think others to be below them to actually be part of it.

As for reading a book, unlike you, I have actually heard the history verbatim and experienced it from my grandparents and family so I don't need the likes of you telling me about my own culture, history and heritage. Also this is my last post on the subject.

The World Cup is not given based on a nations culture or footballing history.

The World Cup is not given based on a nations culture or footballing history.

The discussion was about what the visiting people would do there for a whole month. It is a very small country with very little to do apart from beaches, safaris and malls, which would have been only malls if the date hadn't been shifted. You can go enjoy this tournament built on the blood and lives of slaves though, that is "if England qualify".

The discussion was about what the visiting people would do there for a whole month. It is a very small country with very little to do apart from beaches, safaris and malls, which would have been only malls if the date hadn't been shifted. You can go enjoy this tournament built on the blood and lives of slaves though, that is "if England qualify".

Can you name a single country which has no human rights issues? It's hypocrisy for people to rant about Qatar but then be ok with the US who has butchered many people even in the last decade.

That's enough. Fans will love the great weather, malls, shops, beaches. They are there for the football mainly not to find the lost ark.

Great news. If im around alive and kicking , I will take a couple of weeks off and go over to enjoy some great football, sunny weather and the nation of Qatar.

Hopefully England will qualify

LOL it's in four years. Why are you acting as if it's decades away

I dont have a crystal ball. England have failed to qualify in past.

Haha I meant in terms of 'alive and kicking'

Inshallah you will be alive and kicking lol. It's a reasonable expectation

Thanks. Tbh human rights issues is not my main gripe anyways though obv you don't want that issue .

It's just that a country with only 4-500,000 citizens and rest majority poor immigrants coupled with just one major city and a negligible footballing culture doesn't come across as an ideal venue for a World Cup.

Qatar got it due to corruption and it's common knowledge.

But even if FIFA wanted to hold it in the region, a better idea would have been to have joint hosts like 2002

Can you name a single country which has no human rights issues? It's hypocrisy for people to rant about Qatar but then be ok with the US who has butchered many people even in the last decade.

That's enough. Fans will love the great weather, malls, shops, beaches. They are there for the football mainly not to find the lost ark.

I think the major issue here is human rights being abused due to the process of holding this World Cup, itself.

The stadiums are being worked on etc. as Qatar has been approved to host the 2022 World Cup and the abuses are being done in the process of the preparation.

Back