Chanakya: Mastermind of ancient warfare strategies

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
I am excited to initiate a discussion on a historical figure whose brilliance in the realm of war strategy continues to captivate minds, none other than Chanakya.

Chanakya, the ancient Indian philosopher, teacher, economist, and royal advisor, wasn't just a mastermind behind political maneuvering but also a strategic genius on the battlefield. His contributions to the field of warfare are monumental and have left an indelible mark on military tactics.

As we delve into this discussion, I'm keen to explore and dissect Chanakya's war strategies that stood the test of time. Some of his major achievements are as follows:

Arthashastra: Chanakya is credited with writing the ancient Indian political treatise, the "Arthashastra." This comprehensive work covers various aspects of statecraft, economics, military strategy, and diplomacy.

Political Guru: Chanakya played a pivotal role in the establishment of the Maurya Empire. He served as the chief advisor to Chandragupta Maurya, the founder of the Maurya dynasty.

Defeating Alexander's Generals: After the invasion of Alexander the Great, Chanakya is said to have organized a successful resistance and played a key role in ousting the foreign forces from Indian territories.

Cunning Strategies: Chanakya's strategic acumen is well-documented, especially in his role in the conquest of the Nanda Empire. His clever use of spies, diplomatic cunning, and unconventional warfare tactics were instrumental in achieving victories.

Unified India: Chanakya's vision and guidance contributed significantly to the unification of the Indian subcontinent under Chandragupta Maurya's rule.

Educational Legacy: Chanakya is recognized for his role as a pioneering educator. His establishment of the Takshashila University was instrumental in shaping the intellectual and academic landscape of ancient India.

Let's dive into a discussion about his unparalleled skills and tactics. What aspects of Chanakya's strategies impress you the most? Share your insights.

If I am not wrong, He is the same guy who helped the emperor to set up the Maurya Empire. He was scientist, philosopher and what not.

Yeah he was the Machiavelli of the east. Through his shrewd and cunning nature he helped the Gupta empire to strengthen their hold and grip on their Indian empire.

There was a fantastic Podcast on his life and writings. I'll see if I can find the link.

Half-mythical figure...even the story of how his writings were subsequently discovered is fantastic (if I'm not wrong - about a 100 years ago). It's still debated if it was the work of one person or many but if you take the story for what it is and not try to poke too many holes in it, it's a brilliant bit of history.

As far as the Arthashastra is concerned, my personal feeling (again only based on listening to the podcast. I've never actually read it) is that it felt a bit too theoretical and academic to be the writings of an actual Prime Minister or King's Advisor. Felt more like a professor who thought he'd solved everything about governance and couldn't understand why everything wasn't organised and followed as he was putting down on paper. The type of figure we're only too familiar with nowadays.

Honestly I'm sure Machiavelli or Sun Tzu or similar though I've not gone into any depth of them. The true strategists and powers behind the throne probably have neither the time nor inclination to sit down and write lengthy dissertations on their stratagems.

Above video will explain the artha satraps from military point of view as explained by us military academics

Chanakya's teachings still make a lot of sense today. Like, having a strong military, smart tax systems, and good diplomacy, those ideas totally apply now. And caring about ethical governance is still a big deal. Even though Chanakya lived in a different time, his thoughts can still help today's scholars and leaders figure things out.

Chanakya’s neeti’s are still extremely relevant today.

In fact, PM Modi who is a Sanatani to the core used Chanakya Neeti to prolong his reign. Chanakya said if you can’t fight your enemy today, delay the way. So when the Farmers came out on the roads and every BJP fanboy was frustrated why Modi ji did not use force to crush the farmers movement, they should see what happened in Bangladesh when the people in power used force to crush a rebellion.

In Bharat also, the anti national elements wanted this sort of provocation from the government so they could go on an all out war against government and prove Modi a dictator and take him out of power through sheer force.

But Modi ji being a student of Chanakya delayed the use of force to the point the anti nationals exposed themselves and had internal fights so much so that the people lost interest in their cause.

So, the student of Chanakya PM Modi was successful while Sheikh Hasina who did not read Chanakya lost everything she had.

I always respect people that bring about change, but he brought change with violence .
His thread task for young chandragupta is most brutal thing I read as a teenager.

One of Chanakya’s rules is - Do not fight when it is not your time and you are weak.

This is so true. We can see it all around the world. People who jump the gun and impatient get destroyed.

Why do many historians also consider him cunning? @Romali_rotti @Vikram1989 @ravisurya @Nikhil_cric @Rajdeep
Aren't all realists considered cunning? The latter co-opting by nationalists and "Sanatanis" of Chanakya as one of their own is plain wrong as it is of the co-opting of Buddhist, Ajivika, Jaina or Carvaka traditions.

Chanakya saw the supremacy of the state as the ultimate moral end unto itself.

And pretty much mapped out the justification for pretty much everything from prostitution to social welfare in such terms.

Back