Chandrayan 3 landed successfully : A Giant Leap for India in Space

Cap,

I am glad I had to post a matter that is further away from the thread topic for you to make your 1st post here.

:angel:

I'd like to say I'm glad you care what I think, but truthfully I just don't think India can become a first world country as long as they think the competition is Pakistan.

And yet there are people like kkwc who have the audacity to laugh and say anyone can go to the moon.

We wasted soo ten times the amount on a BRT bus project, while india used only a small amount of the same budget to reach the moon.

My request to indian posters is, ignore the one bad apple as most of pakistan appreciates what india has achieved last night

And yet there are people like kkwc who have the audacity to laugh and say anyone can go to the moon.

We wasted soo ten times the amount on a BRT bus project, while india used only a small amount of the same budget to reach the moon.

My request to indian posters is, ignore the one bad apple as most of pakistan appreciates what india has achieved last night

Look at what you are writing

We wasted money on a project to help people on this planet in our cities

So how is going to the moon helping the ordinary people in India?

One of our proudest achievement!

:sa

Hope Pragyan does his primary job and even survives the moonlight.

Look at what you are writing

We wasted money on a project to help people on this planet in our cities

So how is going to the moon helping the ordinary people in India?
Are you gonna say that research does not help mankind?

Before going to the moon, launching anything into space and hoping for it to orbit on its own is one difficult task. Satellites are being used by almost every country in the world. We daily use google maps that is because of the Satellites that are there in space, it helps the ordinary person.
Satellites are being used n agriculture aswell. Lands are scanned and data is gather on yield and whether the fields are getting enough energy to grow and produce a larger yield. Alot of this technology is expensive and have to be bought on rent.
If countries like India have their own satellites they dont have to pay high fees as it would be there own satellite.

This moon mission helps in the satellite aspect, as they now know they have the capability to launch into space, and that will help the ordinary people in india.

Ice in the craters was discovered back in 2008, and right now the mian focus of India would be to research and discover if there is water on the south side of the moon. They can even predict weather patterns back home as tides are controlled through the moon. The biggest issue in the world for the last 5 years has been climate change. It is predicted that there is helium on the moon, and helium can be used back on earth as a renewable energy resource.

Furthermore, India has done this mission in less money. Thus, NASA and other agencies can also reduce their cost aswell and save the tax payers money. India can now work with USA, Russia and China in space technology.

Also a big factor is uniting the nation. Having a united country is a very big deal. When your country men are united and feel proud of their country, they make an effort to protect it. Look at Pakistan, an ex Pm gets through in jail, and not a single person comes out on street due to everyone giving up on the country and no one being united. You think Indians would keep quiet if Modi was thrown in jail? No, its cause of such achievements that help keep the country united.

Also, this landing further motivates students to pick up astronomy and space sciences. They now know that they dont have to hope for a scholorship at MIT to get into NASA, now they can directly apply at ISRO and join their own local space institute.

Pakistan has a university called Institute of space technology, my cousin did her bachelors and masters from there. Yet the degree had no scope in Pakistan as SUPARCO of Pakistan did not give her a job or anything and the best she could hope for was just becoming a professor (for which you need sifarish). And she was the top student of her university, yet SUPARCO did not give jobs to students of an institute which is relevant to them. She ended up pursuing a scholorship in another country, hence further brain drain.

Any achievement of your country is big and celebrated. Heck, we are watching Pakistan vs Afghanistan and if we win this series we will be happy. We dont start questioning that what does this series help do to the ordinary person. It just boosts the nation and makes us feel proud.

Are you gonna say that research does not help mankind?

Before going to the moon, launching anything into space and hoping for it to orbit on its own is one difficult task. Satellites are being used by almost every country in the world. We daily use google maps that is because of the Satellites that are there in space, it helps the ordinary person.
Satellites are being used n agriculture aswell. Lands are scanned and data is gather on yield and whether the fields are getting enough energy to grow and produce a larger yield. Alot of this technology is expensive and have to be bought on rent.
If countries like India have their own satellites they dont have to pay high fees as it would be there own satellite.

This moon mission helps in the satellite aspect, as they now know they have the capability to launch into space, and that will help the ordinary people in india.

Ice in the craters was discovered back in 2008, and right now the mian focus of India would be to research and discover if there is water on the south side of the moon. They can even predict weather patterns back home as tides are controlled through the moon. The biggest issue in the world for the last 5 years has been climate change. It is predicted that there is helium on the moon, and helium can be used back on earth as a renewable energy resource.

Furthermore, India has done this mission in less money. Thus, NASA and other agencies can also reduce their cost aswell and save the tax payers money. India can now work with USA, Russia and China in space technology.

Also a big factor is uniting the nation. Having a united country is a very big deal. When your country men are united and feel proud of their country, they make an effort to protect it. Look at Pakistan, an ex Pm gets through in jail, and not a single person comes out on street due to everyone giving up on the country and no one being united. You think Indians would keep quiet if Modi was thrown in jail? No, its cause of such achievements that help keep the country united.

Also, this landing further motivates students to pick up astronomy and space sciences. They now know that they dont have to hope for a scholorship at MIT to get into NASA, now they can directly apply at ISRO and join their own local space institute.

Pakistan has a university called Institute of space technology, my cousin did her bachelors and masters from there. Yet the degree had no scope in Pakistan as SUPARCO of Pakistan did not give her a job or anything and the best she could hope for was just becoming a professor (for which you need sifarish). And she was the top student of her university, yet SUPARCO did not give jobs to students of an institute which is relevant to them. She ended up pursuing a scholorship in another country, hence further brain drain.

Any achievement of your country is big and celebrated. Heck, we are watching Pakistan vs Afghanistan and if we win this series we will be happy. We dont start questioning that what does this series help do to the ordinary person. It just boosts the nation and makes us feel proud.

Ask the guy who is living on the streets the same thing.

I am also against Pakistan getting into stupid things like space exploration. People like Fawad etc have made fools of themselves - doesn't mean we should do the same.

India did not do this to help mankind. They did it to feel good about themselves, specifically Modi did.

I understand its fashionable to put Pakistan down but lets keep it on the level.

I am also against Pakistan getting into stupid things like space exploration. People like Fawad etc have made fools of themselves - doesn't mean we should do the same.

India did not do this to help mankind. They did it to feel good about themselves, specifically Modi did.

I understand its fashionable to put Pakistan down but lets keep it on the level.
stupid things?

you have probably not even bother reading what i wrote.

For the guy living on the street, even fast cars and and flying an airplace is also a stupid thing cause he cant afford it.

Like i said before, space technology has boosted the agriculture sector. Agriculture is main sector of economy for 3rd world countries. There is a company in Pakistan called Farmdar and they use satellites to capture images of agriculture land, elaborate the data and help farmers in better farming techniques. And farmers are the ordinary people.

If Modi did this to feel good about himself, and get himself reelected, than i would prefer this rather than an MNA trying to fix a road just before elections (which he had ignored for 4 years) and try to win an election.

If I had to choose between two kinds of appeasements, than for me advancement in education and Space exploration wins. I cant argue with someone if they think fixing a road (which they ignored for 4 years) for election purposes is more important.

As for putting Pakistan down, go in every PTI thread around here, and you will see PTI fans wanting Pakistan to be destroyed.

Moon mission was announced by Vajpayee in 2003. Chandrayaan 1 was done during Congress regime.

Chandrayaan 3 is special because it landed on the south pole.

And Indian space research started in mid 60s. So that we are not dependent on others for crucial technology.

It has a number of military and civilian applications.

FYI India launches its own communication satellites, has its own navigation system, has ASAT capabilities and research satellites. All due to its space research.

I am not even going into weather prediction, agriculture output etc.

And sorry no one is putting Pakistan down, pakistan isn't even in discussion when we talk about space technology.

The people on streets will give their opinion in 6 months and if surveys are anything to go by the results will favour the current PM.

I know for some its customary to put down Modi and most of the achievements of India, so i am not surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Nigeria or Uganda sends a probe to Moon would it really change their fortune and make them a country with better standards of living? No it wouldn't. These explorations makes more sense for countries with much better standard of living for majority which India doesn't obviously have, and we know many Western countries where Indians move to for better living don't have any space programs.

In this day and age it is just a matter of investing money, doing what others before did and doing a number of experiments and failed missions to eventually get it right. They lack clean water for majority in India and water for sanitation for 100s of millions, and they are going to Moon to find water, that's why it's all so comical and this is not to put down India because I am a Pakistani. If Nigeria, Pakistan etc third world countries were involved is such pointless missions, I would have said the same thing. US went to moon in 69, if they hadn't wouldn't they have still produced scientists and successful businessmen in various fields driving the world's business. Is India one of the driving force in Technological advancement? No, does India even make any reputable or any gadget known worldwide? No. Just a matter of connecting the dots.... Yes it's good for few companies profiting and a feel good feeling for the nation which we already see scores of Indians posting "some countries got moon on flag and we got flag on moon" something I can only face-palm to as I always get tempted to reply with you also lack water, food, clean air, hygiene, money, better standard of living for 100s of millions.

Chandrayaan-3 Gets Front-Page Coverage In Pakistan Despite Strained Ties
'India becomes first nation to land near Moon's south pole' was the headline in most of the Pakistani newspapers and websites.

Islamabad:

Despite the chill in bilateral ties, Pakistan's media today gave front-page coverage to India's historic moon landing while a former minister even called it a "great moment" for India's space agency, ISRO.

'India becomes first nation to land near Moon's south pole' was the headline in most of the Pakistani newspapers and websites.

This was India's second attempt to land a spacecraft on the Moon and comes less than a week after Russia's Luna-25 mission failed.

Pakistan's Geo News carried a story by its Web Desk about the landing, saying India's Chandrayaan-3 has finally landed on the moon after a 40-day journey starting from the Satish Dhawan Space Center in Sriharikota and a history of space crashing.

The News International, the Dawn newspaper, the Business Recorder, Dunya News and others carried stories by various international news agencies.

Fawad Chaudhry, who was Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting in the Imran Khan-led government, called it a great moment for the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

"What a great moment for #ISRO as #Chandrayaan3 lands on the Moon, I can see lots of young scientists celebrating this moment with Mr Somanath Chairman ISRO; only the Younger generation with dreams can change the world... good luck," Mr Chaudhry, a former senior member of Imran Khan's Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, said on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Before the landing, he said, "All eyes on #Chandryaan3 Moon landing 5:40 PM, great day for Indian Science Community and Space scientists, Congratulations to people of India on this great achievement." Earlier he asked the Pakistani media to live stream Chandrayan's moon landing.

The bilateral ties between India and Pakistan came under severe strain after India's warplanes bombed a Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist training camp in Balakot in Pakistan in February 2019 in response to the Pulwama terror attack in India.

If Nigeria or Uganda sends a probe to Moon would it really change their fortune and make them a country with better standards of living? No it wouldn't. These explorations makes more sense for countries with much better standard of living for majority which India doesn't obviously have, and we know many Western countries where Indians move to for better living don't have any space programs.

In this day and age it is just a matter of investing money, doing what others before did and doing a number of experiments and failed missions to eventually get it right. They lack clean water for majority in India and water for sanitation for 100s of millions, and they are going to Moon to find water, that's why it's all so comical and this is not to put down India because I am a Pakistani. If Nigeria, Pakistan etc third world countries were involved is such pointless missions, I would have said the same thing. US went to moon in 69, if they hadn't wouldn't they have still produced scientists and successful businessmen in various fields driving the world's business. Is India one of the driving force in Technological advancement? No, does India even make any reputable or any gadget known worldwide? No. Just a matter of connecting the dots.... Yes it's good for few companies profiting and a feel good feeling for the nation which we already see scores of Indians posting "some countries got moon on flag and we got flag on moon" something I can only face-palm to as I always get tempted to reply with you also lack water, food, clean air, hygiene, money, better standard of living for 100s of millions.
That is a such a myopic view that poverty and development cannot co-exist and the biggest myth that technological advancements has no impact on a common man. India’s investment in space technology is a well thought of plan as it is hugely profitable and job accretive industry. In the last 5 years or so, ISRO is making a bunch of money launching satellites from other countries (Canada, US, EU, Australia) into space because it’s low cost operating model - its aiming for a $10 billion industry by 2040 and additional 3million jobs and will be a direct competitor to SpaceX. Successes like this will also help develop allied industry startups which will create jobs - for eg, India is now domestically perfecting the cyrogenic powered launch modules (a technology which was earlier denied to it by U.S. and Russia & can be used in defence as well)

Moreso the low cost of the project has virtually no financial impact on the population. If I am not wrong, Chandrayaan-3 project cost like Rs. 5 per capita - that’s peanuts and the benefits far outweigh the cost.

Also the argument that developing countries should not focus on technology, well - India produces the largest number of engineers in the world (about 1.5 million every year). If the government does not invest in technology and new age industries, how will they get jobs?

Pakistan rightly slowed it down.

disagree, pakistan literally has zero investment in anything remotely academic, one of the lowest contributions to global science and tech of any of the major countries.

value addition is mostly mental these days, and the pak economy has literally zero value addition, and one of the core reasons is zero focus on academia, tech and research.

this is all before we even take into consideration the potential security risks of being completely reliant on other nations for ur telecom, GPS, etc, needs.

disagree, pakistan literally has zero investment in anything remotely academic, one of the lowest contributions to global science and tech of any of the major countries.

value addition is mostly mental these days, and the pak economy has literally zero value addition, and one of the core reasons is zero focus on academia, tech and research.

this is all before we even take into consideration the potential security risks of being completely reliant on other nations for ur telecom, GPS, etc, needs.

Bro, I really dont care about this subject, was only pointing out to those who are jumping up like Sanjay Dutt in a dodgy Bollywood movie. This makes little impact on 99% of the population. Its a type of washing of Hindutva extremism.

Sort the Earth out first before doing this rubbish imo.

I'd like to say I'm glad you care what I think, but truthfully I just don't think India can become a first world country as long as they think the competition is Pakistan.
Thanks Cap

However I have never ever said India is a 1st world country. They are developing country not a 1st world.

Just speaking to some Indian colleagues at work "more potholes on Indian roads than on the moon"

Basically the message I am getting (and mostly from anti Modi Indians) is that this is dekhawa of the worst order. Does nothing for the ordinary Indians.

I see this kind of "potholes on roads" jibe thrown around constantly. That data is severely out of date. The roads in India are moving towards being best in class and in a few years it will be among the best in the world. Same with most things across the board. The rate of transformation in India should be seen to be believed. You can search for indian infra in youtube and that is just a sliver of things happening in the country.

Chandrayaan 2 cost $96 Million and it failed.

so

ISRO decided to reduce the budget to $76 million for Chandrayaan 3 ? and succeed.

This is just out of the world stuff, amazing accomplishment...

:rp

BJP minister Anurag Thakur inspiring his bhakts and their new-found zeal for science by promising Acche Din when Indians travel next to the Sun!

That's why the party should provide an official memo to its partymen. Stick to your Goli maaro saalon ko sloganeering. That's what you are fit for. You are level-1 intellectuals. Stay there and be happy in your echo chambers. Don't try and step out of it or we will give you the double-belt treatment.

I see number of space startups increasing in India. Hopefully will give a fight to SpaceX in coming generations.

Moon Landing Done, India Now Aims For Sun. Launch Due In A Week

As the Chandrayaan-3 rover conducts experiments on the moon, scientists at the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) have set their eyes on their next target - the Sun.

The Aditya-L1, India's first space observatory for solar research, is getting ready for launch at the country's main spaceport in Sriharikota.

Aditya-L1 spacecraft is designed to provide remote observations of the solar corona and study the solar atmosphere

The spacecraft will extensively study the solar winds, which can cause disturbance on Earth and are commonly seen as "auroras".

In the long term, data from the mission could help better understand the sun's impact on Earth's climate patterns.

The satellite is ready and has already reached Sriharikota, but the final date for the launch of Aditya-L1 will be announced in two days, ISRO chief S Somanath has said.

The event is expected to take place in the first week of September, with the space agency targetting a September 2 launch.

The Aditya-L1 will hitch a ride on India's heavy-duty launch vehicle, the PSLV, to travel 1.5 million kilometres.

Aditya-L1 has been built at nearly half the cost of Chandrayaan-3. The government sanctioned ₹ 378 crore in 2019 for the mission to study the Sun's atmosphere. The ISRO hasn't given an official update on costs yet.

NDTV

First Scientific Data Sent By Chandrayaan-3 From Moon's South Pole

The Indian space agency has obtained the first ever scientific data from the Moon's unexplored South Polar region, marking a major success of its Chandrayaan-3 mission.

The thermal probe of the Vikram lander recorded how temperature varies at surface, near surface and deeper on the lunar surface.

ChaSTE (Chandra's Surface Thermophysical Experiment) measures the temperature profile of the lunar topsoil around the pole, to understand the thermal behaviour of the moon's surface, said the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

NDTV

PP is not the right place to celebrate such Indian success stories at a time the politicoeconomic gap between the two neighbouring nations is widest ever since independence. It feels boastful and awkward as an Indian and even slightly sad.

Nevertheless, there is clear and visible shift in the way the Pakistanis are opening up to acknowledge India’s success story. This at a time the Indians are celebrating movies like Gadar 2 (great movie but supports hatred propaganda) is really commendable from Pakistanis. There clearly are more Pakistanis that speak positively of Indians than otherwise. I hope we Indians can open our hearts and play the big brothers part we are meant to.

Eventually when it will really matter, the space research and exploration would have to be a global collaborative effort and what India is rightly doing is ensuring that it has a respectable seat on the leadership table of such a collaboration in the future to secure the best possible deal for its people.

I’m looking at US, China, India, Russia, European Union for now. Saudis will come on board with their oil money eventually and then we will see about the rest. The above mentioned economies can contribute enough funding to support the next mega mission for mankind.

Well done ISRO. Great achievement.

Vikram Sarabhai must be so proud watching from heavens!

Countries can’t just hand out money to people on the streets like that. You basically development the system such that everyone can connect to it and draw from it perpetually.

Besides, You are talking as if India is already not pulling people out of poverty in record numbers. Obviously the poor cannot just sip wealth out of government treasury. Financial prosperity reaches them through economic growth and India is growing quite well if not at the pace we desire.

Also, you guys are talking as if India has invested unfathomable amount of money on space research whereas the world is literally begging us tell them how we are doing it so cheap. We have sent a rover to the South Pole of the moon at a cost the Hollywood makes a sci-fi movie. This is nothing for India, a country which gives $2 billion worth foreign aid to its neighbouring countries and a $30 billion line of credit.

This is like the best investment of some million dollars , basically peanuts in larger schemes of things, those who are arguing like "it can be invested on better thigns and stuff " dont know how system work.

So many amazing things , have been achieved in one stroke

1)Space exploration pushes state of the art in many fields of engineering, like robotics, controls, jet propulsion etc that has direct impact on everything , we have on Earth. It will increase indigenous Indian Industrial base in these field , really important for any developing country if it wants to jump to middle income groups.

2)Motivation for kids for STEM studies and curiosity .

3)ISRO is a world class institute. which is can be a model for other institutes in the country ,that is from a region , known for its lazy work ethics(South Asia).

Whats the alternative investment

Giving one time meal to few hundred thousand people?basically wasting it.

I see number of space startups increasing in India. Hopefully will give a fight to SpaceX in coming generation
Just speaking to some Indian colleagues at work "more potholes on Indian roads than on the moon"

Basically the message I am getting (and mostly from anti Modi Indians) is that this is dekhawa of the worst order. Does nothing for the ordinary Indians.
Your colleagues might not have visited India recently. Yes there are still potholes on our roads but they are in far better condition than few years back. There are flyovers and bridges everywhere in cities, metros being built in every city. Infrastructure is growing at a rapid pace. Nitin Gadkari is doing a tremendous job tbh.

If India's reaching for the moon while fixing roads/building infra back home, that's a win-win in my book. Probably would become really modern and developed in the next 30-40 years while also progressing in the SPACE exploration.
Every nation's got its own unique journey of progress, such progress of India may inspire/motivate Pak to catch up and who knows in time it will.

This is like the best investment of some million dollars , basically peanuts in larger schemes of things, those who are arguing like "it can be invested on better thigns and stuff " dont know how system work.

So many amazing things , have been achieved in one stroke

1)Space exploration pushes state of the art in many fields of engineering, like robotics, controls, jet propulsion etc that has direct impact on everything , we have on Earth. It will increase indigenous Indian Industrial base in these field , really important for any developing country if it wants to jump to middle income groups.

2)Motivation for kids for STEM studies and curiosity .

3)ISRO is a world class institute. which is can be a model for other institutes in the country ,that is from a region , known for its lazy work ethics(South Asia).

Whats the alternative investment

Giving one time meal to few hundred thousand people?basically wasting it.
This is a good post.

People who post along the lines of "India should rather give/do XYZ for the poor than space research" - you either do not know how development economics work or this is your weak attempt at making a negative comment towards an enemy nation's accomplishment because you have nothing else to say.

Even if it is an enemy nation, credit where credit is due (and don't have your egos too fragile or pathetically weak to even accept this obvious accomplishment). Pakistan should hope to use this as a motivation for their own science and research accomplishments. Saying weak statements like "fix pot holes" or "feed your poor" only shows how clueless or weak minded one can be.

Chandrayaan-3 Mission Detects Sulphur On Moon's South Pole: ISRO​

The first-ever on-site measurements of the south polar region of the moon have confirmed the presence of sulphur on Earth's only natural satellite, ISRO said today.

The measurements were made by the Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) instrument onboard Chandrayaan-3's rover, Pragyan.

NDTV

I find it difficult to justify spending trillions on endeavours like this when there is a massive poverty.

I find it difficult to justify spending trillions on endeavours like this when there is a massive poverty.

It's a great vanity project for the Government to declare how they have turned the country into some kind of Superpower. Bragging rights and all.

Now all the attention from millions in poverty , impoverished conditions and lacking medical healthcare has been taken away and the focus is on this achievement.

The life of an average Indian is only very marginally better than an average Pakistani or a Bangladeshi, makes no difference to their lives with or without this Project.

The question still remains as to what benefits the common Indian urbanite will derive from this moon landing.

it seems to be nothing more than a show off.

It's a great vanity project for the Government to declare how they have turned the country into some kind of Superpower. Bragging rights and all.

Now all the attention from millions in poverty , impoverished conditions and lacking medical healthcare has been taken away and the focus is on this achievement.

The life of an average Indian is only very marginally better than an average Pakistani or a Bangladeshi, makes no difference to their lives with or without this Project.

The question still remains as to what benefits the common Indian urbanite will derive from this moon landing.

it seems to be nothing more than a show off.

The budget od Chandrayaan 3 was 6.15 billion Rs or $75 million in dollars. India has been giving free ration to the poor since the Covid outbreak and still doing so till date hence you dont see people fighting for food.

As for what this will benefit the Indian public this will give a big boost to the Indian space industry. There are many countries which do not have a space program. India can now launch their satelittes at a relatively economical price. secondly, there are few private space players in this sector who can collaborate with India. The vision is to increase our space industry to 16 billion in the coming years.

As for whether this was a burden on the public exchequer if you divide 6.15 billion among 1.4 billion Indians it costs just 3-4 Rs per head. Our Chandrayaan mission per kilometre cost less than what our rickshaw drivers charge per kilometer. Not sure what this hullabohoo is about spending on teh poor. Apart from ration ayushmaan scheme provides the poor with medical aid as well. Pradhan Manthri awaas yojana is building houses. None of these schemes have been impacted by this mission.

This mission will inspire a generation of your children to venture into STEM fields.

Lastly when all the indians cutting across caste, creed, religion and even politics are happy with this outsiders need to not worry about it.

On a side note this mission didn't increase our electricity bills too :)

In addition to the above the saree clad simple looking women scientists of ISRo will inspire parents of millions of girls to provide wings so that they can fly towards their dreams. benefits are not only tangible but also intangible as well.

India's Chandrayaan-3 in trouble? Pragyan rover encounters huge crater on moon

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has confirmed that Chandrayaan-3 Pragyan rover faced a huge crater on the moon and was finally directed to reach a safe spot.

The rover had found the crater three meters from the edge and had been routed to a safer path, the Indian Space Research Organisation, or ISRO, tweeted on Monday afternoon, reported NDTV.

How many days have you spent in India, to make this comparison?

OK point taken that Modi did it to improve his image or whatever. Then why did Dr Manmohan Singh dispensation launch chandrayaan 1 in 2009? This mission cost us 6.15 billion in rupees which divided by 1.4 billion is about 4 Rs per Indian. Simulatabeously poor people are getting ration, heath schemes, houses under Pradhanmantri awaas yojana etc. Nothing has been stopped and its funds diverted for Chandrayaan.

Chandrayaan-3: Impact on India’s Economy​

In a significant leap towards space exploration, India is gearing up for its Chandrayaan-3 mission, the third lunar exploration endeavor by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). Set to attempt a soft landing on the Moon, this mission not only holds the promise of national pride but also the potential to unlock tangible economic benefits for India. As the world witnesses a burgeoning space economy, Chandrayaan-3’s success could mark a crucial turning point for India’s economic growth, technological prowess, and contribution to humanity’s ongoing exploration of the cosmos.

Economic Implications​

The space economy is no longer confined to the realm of science fiction. Reports reveal that the global space economy has soared to a value of USD 546 billion in 2023, witnessing a remarkable 91 percent increase over the past decade. India, with its ambitious endeavors, is poised to play a pivotal role in this exponential growth. The success of Chandrayaan-3 could contribute significantly to India’s space economy, projected to be worth USD 13 billion by 2025. This boost can catalyze employment generation, encourage private investments, and foster the growth of the country’s space-tech ecosystem.

Job Creation and Skill Development​

The space industry demands a highly skilled workforce in science, engineering, and various technical disciplines. The Chandrayaan missions have already demonstrated their potential to create high-tech jobs. From research scientists and engineers to technicians and administrative staff, the space sector’s growth can offer a diverse range of employment opportunities. This development is particularly crucial in India, where the need for skilled labor and the potential for job creation have gained prominence, especially in the post-pandemic era.

Technological Advancements​

Chandrayaan-3’s successful landing would not only signify India’s remarkable technological achievements but also showcase the accessibility of space exploration. The mission’s triumph would underscore India’s continued perseverance and dedication to pushing the boundaries of innovation. This achievement can resonate globally, inspiring other countries to invest in space research and exploration. Furthermore, each successful mission enhances our understanding of the lunar surface and environment, paving the way for reduced risks associated with lunar exploration.

Participation in the New Space Race​

Chandrayaan-3’s success could position India as a significant player in the emerging space race focused on building permanent lunar infrastructure. As demonstrated by China and Russia’s collaboration on a Moon base and the International Lunar Research Station, participation in such initiatives could provide India with unique opportunities for collaboration, resource utilization, and cutting-edge research. India’s alignment with the Artemis Accords also showcases its commitment to international cooperation in space exploration.

Sonam Srivastava, founder of Wright Research also added, “The forthcoming Chandrayaan landing represents a significant milestone for India, underscoring its escalating technological expertise and its ascent in the space sector. A triumphant landing would not only be a testament to India’s capabilities but could also significantly enhance investor confidence. This, in turn, could magnetize a greater influx of international investments into the country. Beyond the immediate prestige, the mission holds the promise of unlocking novel commercial avenues in the space domain. Sectors such as telecommunications, remote sensing, and satellite navigation stand to benefit, potentially catalysing job generation and spurring economic growth. The national pride and euphoria accompanying a successful landing could positively influence market sentiment, potentially giving a boost to stock prices. However, it’s crucial for investors and market watchers to be pragmatic. Challenges, including a potential failed landing or unforeseen delays, might cast a temporary shadow on market enthusiasm. Yet, it’s imperative to view the Chandrayaan mission in its entirety. While short-term hiccups are possible, the long-term advantages and the strategic importance of the mission to India’s space ambitions are likely to overshadow transient setbacks. Investors are advised to stay informed and maintain a holistic view.”

Conclusion​

The impending Chandrayaan-3 mission holds immense promise for India’s economy, technology sector, and global standing in space exploration. Beyond national pride, its success could usher in a new era of economic growth, job creation, and technological innovation. By showcasing India’s capabilities and commitment to pushing the boundaries of human knowledge, the mission can inspire future generations and cement the country’s position in the ever-evolving space exploration landscape. As the countdown to the mission’s landing on the Moon begins, the world watches with anticipation, recognising the potential for positive change that Chandrayaan-3 could bring to India and humanity as a whole.

Here’s a video from Kashmiri journalist and youtuber Yana Mir speaking to Kashmiris on Chandrayaan 3 -

India’s Moon rover has confirmed the presence of sulphur on the lunar south pole, the country’s space agency said.

“These in-situ measurements confirm the presence of sulphur in the region unambiguously, something that was not feasible by the instruments onboard the orbiters,” it said.

The spectrographic analysis also confirmed the presence of aluminium, calcium, iron, chromium and titanium on the lunar surface, ISRO added, with additional measurements showing the presence of manganese, silicon and oxygen.

Seeing some of the responses from even sensible posters like @MIG it is no wonder Pakistan has never felt the need to give importance to basic scientific research.

I see number of space startups increasing in India. Hopefully will give a fight to SpaceX in coming generations.
Yes, this is a step in the right direction. In fact the formalities for private sector should be eased up for space science

Every country has poor people and it's of course sad. But things must progress too. India is well on its way to lifting millions out of poverty year by year and is thriving ahead of Pakistan on almost every metric. They have world-class technical institutions churning out highly skilled graduates and booming tech industries in their key cities. Reaching the moon is just another chapter in their rise.

There will come a time when mining asteroids and perhaps even on the moon moves from the theoretical space to the practical stage. India is well-primed to be part of this race.

Can I turn around this question to you - Why are you guys bragging about your no. 1 ODI ranking and Babar Adam when your whole country has literally gone to the dogs? Should you even be playing or even thinking of cricket when your fellow countrymen and women are committing suicide due to inability to pay electricity bills?

Seeing some of the responses from even sensible posters like @MIG it is no wonder Pakistan has never felt the need to give importance to basic scientific research.

If you are seeing some dismissive posts it's probably for a couple of reasons. Firstly, India is still a third world country in actuality, the vast majority of people live in poverty and poor hygiene, the cities and villages also suffer from terrible infrastructure.

Secondly, we can affirm that this is a worthy achievement, and does demonstrate Indian scientific advances. But why would it be of any interest to Pakistan?

You need to put down the alcohol lol

The only group who commits suicide is Indian farmers.

No need to unnecessarily slander Pakistan based on fake Indian news.

But the gist of his post is correct. Why did Pakistan celebrate their 1992 WC or 2017 CT victory, something which did not improve the condition of millions of its people living in despair. All it did was enrich a handful of people. Cricket wins should not be celebrated, they mean nothing in the long run.

But the gist of his post is correct. Why did Pakistan celebrate their 1992 WC or 2017 CT victory, something which did not improve the condition of millions of its people living in despair. All it did was enrich a handful of people. Cricket wins should not be celebrated, they mean nothing in the long run.

Why spend millions of dollars of forex on PSL when they are literally begging IMF and other countries to give them dollars? No?

Sports and day to day living are two seperate spheres of life. It would be the same in any country, you will get poor people who have a hard life still following their local or national teams, if anything it gives them something to celebrate rather than just drown in relentless misery.

Sports and day to day living are two seperate spheres of life. It would be the same in any country, you will get poor people who have a hard life still following their local or national teams, if anything it gives them something to celebrate rather than just drown in relentless misery.
So why are you guys looking down on India’s technological advancements as having no impact on poor population, which in fact has an even more direct impact on the society than sports ever can?

When we talk about job creation due to space technology, obviously it will have a trickle down effect on the economy. Do you know how many ancillary people get gainfully employed due to our tech industry - small services like restaurants, laundry services, maids and watchmen, etc? More jobs up the order creates more employment down the education chain.

You've missed my point, which is there's not much difference between a country taking pride in its national space program and in a national sports team.

The former atleast has potentially long term economic benefits.

So why are you guys looking down on India’s technological advancements as having no impact on poor population, which in fact has an even more direct impact on the society than sports ever can?

When we talk about job creation due to space technology, obviously it will have a trickle down effect on the economy. Do you know how many ancillary people get gainfully employed due to our tech industry - small services like restaurants, laundry services, maids and watchmen, etc? More jobs up the order creates more employment down the education chain.

I explained this already in post #136. It's not a case of looking down on technological achievements, it's that they are meaningless for anyone from a Pakistani background. How is this stuff of any use to us?

What does any non-Indian gain from Indian posters showcasing their achievements? Before you answer that with some waffle about learning from the neighbours and such, bear in mind that India is militanly hostile to Pakistan and longs for it's demise.

You've missed my point, which is there's not much difference between a country taking pride in its national space program and in a national sports team.

The former atleast has potentially long term economic benefits.

You can do both, neither sports achievements or scienctific are mutually exclusive.

The usual gaga from neighbours over this, expected. Not sure why they seek validation perhaps they know themselves their ground realities hence the constant urge for approval and cheers. Get your drastic ground realities in order. Russia and China went to the Moon, how have their fortunes changed? China though has been driving world's business so them going there or not wouldn't have made any difference to them. It's a pointless exercise in this day and age for countries with miserable living conditions for masses, as getting up there is not a big task when you simply spend money. Saudia can get up there 1000 of times if they spend their money, but at a larger scheme of things it will be total pointless mission for a country like Saudia where only top elites share and own country's enormous wealth

The usual gaga from neighbours over this, expected. Not sure why they seek validation perhaps they know themselves their ground realities hence the constant urge for approval and cheers. Get your drastic ground realities in order. Russia and China went to the Moon, how have their fortunes changed? China though has been driving world's business so them going there or not wouldn't have made any difference to them. It's a pointless exercise in this day and age for countries with miserable living conditions for masses, as getting up there is not a big task when you simply spend money. Saudia can get up there 1000 of times if they spend their money, but at a larger scheme of things it will be total pointless mission for a country like Saudia where only top elites share and own country's enormous wealth
FYI, the UAE has already attempted to send a rover to the moon aboard a Japanese lander. It didn't work.

No! Saudi Arabia, or any other Middle Eastern country, does not have the capability of landing on the moon on its own. Yes, they can always hire others to do it for them, that's a totally different story.

The most important reality that you are missing is that ISRO is not only a self sufficient gov entity but it is actually one of the few that actually generates a profit and most importantly this is all net forex dollars. Given that the space industry is going to boom in the next few yrs ISRO will be earning in the billions! Therefore this notion that it takes resources away from welfare projects is a non-starter. So any scientific discoveries and intangibles like inspiring future gen to take up science are all big cherries on top of the commercial and security aspect.

Secondly there is a big difference between hiring someone and relying on them to do anything for you than doing it on your own. Its like owning a house vs renting. India found that out the hard way during Kargil war. ISRO today is a key player in India's defense and security.

Money doesn't equate to scientific success. ISRO sent a rover to moon at $75mn, how much did it cost the other 3 countries?

Seeking validation? From whom?

Money doesn't equate to scientific success. ISRO sent a rover to moon at $75mn, how much did it cost the other 3 countries?

Seeking validation? From whom?
That way one can claim that even Bangladesh can successfully do it since it cost ISRO just $75 million😂😂

That way one can claim that even Bangladesh can successfully do it since it cost ISRO just $75 million😂😂
Just like how Americans/world would have laughed off decades ago when you told them Indians could reach the Moon as well?

Bangladesh is a good example actually, a country with better stats and booming economy but will certainly be laughable if they aimed for Moon when their ground realities are tragic for the masses, same is the case with India. If Bangladesh gets a space organization tomorrow and spends millions and does multiple trials and failures, you think they can't eventually reach the moon? Countries like Germany, Canada, Turkey, France, Saudia etc can't reach the moon as well if they spent on the resources and training? Didn't Russia take the first Indian man to space? I mean it's all a learning and spending money process, and just following what Americans and Russian did, that's what India has done so what's the gaga over? Moon, mars and finding water etc sound rosey but when you have 100s of millions within your country without clean water and lacking all kind of basic necessities of life, yes it all will always sound comical and pointless. Claim all stats and future benefit you want, but your ground realities does not reflect well on your missions and until unless India gets to that level, they will just have to accept the other side of the legit opinion.

Just like how Americans/world would have laughed off decades ago when you told them Indians could reach the Moon as well?

Bangladesh is a good example actually, a country with better stats and booming economy but will certainly be laughable if they aimed for Moon when their ground realities are tragic for the masses, same is the case with India. If Bangladesh gets a space organization tomorrow and spends millions and does multiple trials and failures, you think they can't eventually reach the moon? Countries like Germany, Canada, Turkey, France, Saudia etc can't reach the moon as well if they spent on the resources and training? Didn't Russia take the first Indian man to space? I mean it's all a learning and spending money process, and just following what Americans and Russian did, that's what India has done so what's the gaga over? Moon, mars and finding water etc sound rosey but when you have 100s of millions within your country without clean water and lacking all kind of basic necessities of life, yes it all will always sound comical and pointless. Claim all stats and future benefit you want, but your ground realities does not reflect well on your missions and until unless India gets to that level, they will just have to accept the other side of the legit opinion.
Errr … could it be a case of sour grapes? I certainly don’t see other countries speaking along those lines. People around the world, and other countries are congratulating ISRO and India. Why only Pakistanis are critical? Yes, because it’s a case of sour grapes.

Don’t worry about us, we know where to spend our money. Nor do we go begging to the IMF, UAE and Saudis every few months with a begging bowl for bailout packages. We have a roadmap for our future, and we all know what the rest of the world including IMF predicts about India’s economy in the years to come.

Moon, mars and finding water etc sound rosey but when you have 100s of millions within your country without clean water and lacking all kind of basic necessities of life, yes it all will always sound comical and pointless.

Why ? Can you clearly explain the logic behind that ?

Errr … could it be a case of sour grapes? I certainly don’t see other countries speaking along those lines. People around the world, and other countries are congratulating ISRO and India. Why only Pakistanis are critical? Yes, because it’s a case of sour grapes.

Don’t worry about us, we know where to spend our money. Nor do we go begging to the IMF, UAE and Saudis every few months with a begging bowl for bailout packages. We have a roadmap for our future, and we all know what the rest of the world including IMF predicts about India’s economy in the years to come.
Typical cry on Pakistan when you point out the obvious. Your road map still entails half a population without toilet and you are still rated among the highest one in the global hunger index. You don't go around with begging bowl and yet you get million in charity and donations to feed your poverty and hunger infested population. See how it sounds like when you state the obvious?

I thought you gave a good example of Bangladesh and yet you couldn't respond to my Bangladesh example. My own Indian friend said its all drama when majority in India don't even have clean water and they are going to Moon for water, ofcourse that sounds like a joke to many. Learn to take criticism, nothing sour grape about it, I would have said the same if Pakistan or Bangladesh were involved in similar copy/paste process from US/Russians instead of sorting out their mess first on land instead of wondering about what lies beyond the skies.

Typical cry on Pakistan when you point out the obvious. Your road map still entails half a population without toilet and you are still rated among the highest one in the global hunger index. You don't go around with begging bowl and yet you get million in charity and donations to feed your poverty and hunger infested population. See how it sounds like when you state the obvious?
Half a population without toilet currently? Kindly provide a link to your claim. Who said we get millions in charity and donations, and depend on them to feed our people? Once again, a link please?

As for criticism , I’d welcome criticism if it comes from a self sufficient country doing well. Coming from Pakistan, it’s comical.

Bangladesh has a booming economy?

Based on taking a bailout of $4.7bn from IMF?

If you are seeing some dismissive posts it's probably for a couple of reasons. Firstly, India is still a third world country in actuality, the vast majority of people live in poverty and poor hygiene, the cities and villages also suffer from terrible infrastructure.

Secondly, we can affirm that this is a worthy achievement, and does demonstrate Indian scientific advances. But why would it be of any interest to Pakistan?
You misunderstood my post. I am not denying that India is still a third world quality in terms of quality of life for people or overall reach of industrialization. But one needn't dismiss importance of scientific research in the country for that reason. We cant just tell there is no benefit for any scientific research. It may not give immediate returns but it is still vital for any nation.

You misunderstood my post. I am not denying that India is still a third world quality in terms of quality of life for people or overall reach of industrialization. But one needn't dismiss importance of scientific research in the country for that reason. We cant just tell there is no benefit for any scientific research. It may not give immediate returns but it is still vital for any nation.

As I said in the post which you quoted, we can affirm the technological achievement, but what benefit does a Pakistani get from doing so? What use is it to them bearing in mind that the only reason we are hearing about it on channels like this, is for propaganda/trolling purposes on behalf of India?

India has launched its first observation mission to the Sun, just days after the country made history by becoming the first to land near the Moon's south pole.

Aditya-L1 lifted off from the launch pad at Sriharikota on Saturday at 11:50 India time (06:20 GMT).

It will travel 1.5 million km (932,000 miles) from the Earth - 1% of the Earth-Sun distance.

India's space agency says it will take four months to travel that far.

India's first space-based mission to study the solar system's biggest object is named after Surya - the Hindu god of Sun who is also known as Aditya.

Once Aditya-L1 reaches this "parking spot", it would be able to orbit the Sun at the same rate as the Earth. This also means the satellite will require very little fuel to operate.

Isro has not said how much the mission would cost, but reports in the Indian press put it at 3.78bn rupees ($46m; £36m).

India has more than 50 satellites in space and they provide many crucial services to the country, including communication links, data on weather, and help predict pest infestations, droughts and impending disasters.

If Aditya-L1 is successful, India will join the select group of countries that are already studying the Sun.

Japan was the first to launch a mission in 1981 to study solar flares and the US space agency Nasa and European Space Agency (ESA) have been watching the Sun since the 1990s.

In February 2020, Nasa and ESA jointly launched a Solar Orbiter that is studying the Sun from close quarters and gathering data that, scientists say, will help understand what drives its dynamic behaviour.

And in 2021, Nasa's newest spacecraft Parker Solar Probe made history by becoming the first to fly through corona, the outer atmosphere of the Sun.

India has launched its first observation mission to the Sun, just days after the country made history by becoming the first to land near the Moon's south pole.

Aditya-L1 lifted off from the launch pad at Sriharikota on Saturday at 11:50 India time (06:20 GMT).

It will travel 1.5 million km (932,000 miles) from the Earth - 1% of the Earth-Sun distance.

India's space agency says it will take four months to travel that far.

India's first space-based mission to study the solar system's biggest object is named after Surya - the Hindu god of Sun who is also known as Aditya.

Once Aditya-L1 reaches this "parking spot", it would be able to orbit the Sun at the same rate as the Earth. This also means the satellite will require very little fuel to operate.

Isro has not said how much the mission would cost, but reports in the Indian press put it at 3.78bn rupees ($46m; £36m).

India has more than 50 satellites in space and they provide many crucial services to the country, including communication links, data on weather, and help predict pest infestations, droughts and impending disasters.

If Aditya-L1 is successful, India will join the select group of countries that are already studying the Sun.

Japan was the first to launch a mission in 1981 to study solar flares and the US space agency Nasa and European Space Agency (ESA) have been watching the Sun since the 1990s.

In February 2020, Nasa and ESA jointly launched a Solar Orbiter that is studying the Sun from close quarters and gathering data that, scientists say, will help understand what drives its dynamic behaviour.

And in 2021, Nasa's newest spacecraft Parker Solar Probe made history by becoming the first to fly through corona, the outer atmosphere of the Sun.

Waste of money! If Pakistan wanted, they could have done so decades ago. But they were sensible enough to spend their money on the welfare of their people, the fruits of which the current generation of Pakistanis are enjoying.

Back