Cricket cliches that bother you?

If Pakistan won the World Cup and every ODI, particular people on here would still say we’re rubbish

Cricket commentary in general, compared to other sports, is abysmal.

If Pakistan won the World Cup and every ODI, particular people on here would still say we’re rubbish
They will find some random aspect like Sarfaraz's clothes were cleaner in 2017 and then say therefore Sarfaraz's win was better

People here would say that Imran Khan was promoting friendship culture by personally choosing the team 😂

"X set of batsmen do not rotate the strike enough" - Maybe it's because they're not good enough? Or because the bowlers are simply very good and it's tough to rotate the strike? They're not intentionally playing dot balls(unless they're shielding the strike or they value boundaries over singles(like in T20s))

"X Batsmen is extremely dumb/stupid/rash/selfish for getting out by playing an aggressive shot."
But when a batter(90% of the time the same batter!) scores 78(40) - it's "brilliance"

When a batsman gets out for 0 and the commentator says, "he goes without bothering the scorers."

But literally, nothing can be further from the truth. A batsman getting out is the most labor-intensive thing for any scorer to process and write down.

1) They need to describe how the batsman got out and by which bowler
2) Then write down that the batsman got out for "0"
3) Then they need to put a "W" in the bowlers section
4) Then update the fall of wickets section
5) Then note down what partnership the was made between the two batsmen
6) Then need to add the time, and which over the batsman was dismissed in
7) Then you need to add the name of the new batsman

A maiden over doesn't really bother the scorers.
The phrase should be "the batsman gets for a duck, and annoys the scoerers"

Last edited:
“We will try to execute our plans”

Amazing! I was under the impression you wouldn’t try to execute it!

When a batsman gets out for 0 and the commentator says, "he goes without bothering the scorers."

But literally, nothing can be further from the truth. A batsman getting out is the most labor-intensive thing for any scorer to process and write down.

The prase should be "the batsman gets for a duck, and annoys the scoerers"
It is all automated now.

Besides, this saying goes back to the late 1800s when concepts like run rate, averages exist didn’t exist so at the time, getting out for 0 was a relief for the scorers.

The prase should be "the batsman gets for a duck, and annoys the scoerers"
Love this level of grumpiness haha

Batsmen saying "I decided to bat all day" when they make runs in tests. Why wouldnt you decide that in every game?

I hate the term allow me to “express myself” when players or commentators are talking about batting. Are you a poet or an artist? I much prefer the term “natural game” which also became a cliche at a certain point. Better than both of them is just saying you got to play freely because there was a platform laid.

When the ball is skied and you hear a fielder shout "catch it" to another fielder.
What you think the fielder is trying to drop it?

Back