Dumped like a dog: Indians protest worker's death in Italy, seek end to slavery

DeadlyVenom

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
This is "civilized" europe in 2024.

I wonder what Satnam must have been thinking. A very very chilling story. Inna lilahi wa inna ilyhi rajoon, I hope that there is some justice for him.

=====

Dumped like a dog: Indians protest worker's death in Italy, seek end to slavery​

Thousands of Indians marched in Italy to protest against the death of Satnam Singh, who was dumped by his employers after his hand was chopped off in an accident while working at a farm. The Indian workers are seeking justice for Singh, and an end to 'slavery'.​

Satnam Singh was cutting hay when his arm got chopped off by the machine. What made matters worse was that Singh, an Indian in his early 30s, was working illegally on a farm in Italy. His employers put him in a truck and "dumped" him like a "bag of rubbish near his home" along with his severed hand.

Medical help came late for Satnam Singh, who was bleeding profusely, and he died on June 19 far from his village in Moga, Punjab.

Satnam Singh was one of the thousands of Indians working illegally on farms in Italy, especially in the Pontine Marshes area. They are underpaid, and women are even at risk of sexual exploitation.

Medical help came late for Satnam Singh, who was bleeding profusely, and he died on June 19 far from his village in Moga, Punjab.

Thousands of Indian farm labourers protested in Italy on Tuesday (June 25), seeking an end to "slavery" after Singh's death, news agency AFP reported.

Singh's death highlighted the brutal exploitation of undocumented migrants in Italy. According to Ministry of External Affairs data in May 2024, there are over 2 lakh overseas Indians in Italy. The number of documented Indians in Italy is highest in continental Europe just after Germany.

"He was thrown out like a dog. There is exploitation every day, we suffer it every day, it must end now," Gurmukh Singh, head of the Indian community in the Lazio region of central Italy, was quoted by AFP as saying. "We come here to work, not to die," he added.

ITALIAN LEADERS SHOCKED AT INDIAN WORKER'S DEATH

Latina, where Satnam Singh was working, is infamous for exploitation of migrant workers. Singh's accident and him being dumped by his employers to die, has highlighted the exploitation and shaken some Italians.

Italy Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni condemned Singh’s death as inhumane and barbaric.

“These are inhumane acts that do not belong to the Italian people, and I hope that this barbarism will be harshly punished,” Meloni said.

Labour Minister Marina Calderone called the incident "a true act of barbarity" in the Italian Parliament.

Calderone said authorities were investigating the incident and hoped those responsible for the act would be punished.

The centre-left Democratic Party called Singh's death a "defeat for civilisation".

WILL ITALY GO BEYOND LIP SERVICE?
Both Satnam Singh and his wife worked at the Agro Potino farm in Italy.

His wife sought the help of neighbours, who called in an air ambulance and Singh was airlifted to a hospital. But he didn't survive.

Indians have worked in the Agro Pontino since the mid-1980s, harvesting pumpkins, leeks, beans and tomatoes, and working on flower farms or in buffalo mozzarella production.

Trade union representatives met minister Calderone and Agriculture Minister Francesco Lollobrigida to discuss how such incidents could be prevented, reported CNN.

Full Story

I don’t know how much more awareness is needed regarding illegally migrating to West for Punjabis.

Spending 20-30 lakhs is stupid as masters is cheaper. Please study fgsx

Heartbreaking, Italians French Germans are racist as hell.

Very disturbing news, the people in the West really need to check their morals now

I don’t know how much more awareness is needed regarding illegally migrating to West for Punjabis.

Unfortunately, study isn’t for everyone. I’m just wondering what’s the point of going to the West to be a slave when their quality of life would be much better back home.

Unfortunately, study isn’t for everyone. I’m just wondering what’s the point of going to the West to be a slave when their quality of life would be much better back home.
Because its an habit its very similar to South Indians doing masters in US, which at least enhances the status a lot..as you can repay the loan.

These guys are selling 30-50 lakh worth of properties to come, masters cost 20-30 lakhs.. and then keep complaining about Biharis in Punjab when they are literally selling their land to them.

I think these guys are legal migrants but working illegally, maybe cash in hand. Otherwise they wouldn't be demonstrating and stuff.

Very unfortunate incident. But with Europe's economic and demographic future looking very bleak , racism will only increase in the future.

[
Why would they work illegally if they came legally ?
Yeah you are right he was illegal.

Is things in Indian occupied Punjab that bad or is it the same mentality as people have in Azad Punjab where they think streets abroad are littered with gold?

Simply barbaric. I hope Satnam's family will receive justice.
insha'Allah.

This was one of the most vile stories I've read in a long time. Just throwing a poor man away to his death. I wonder his last thoughts as he slowly died.

May Allah protect poor people from the hands of barbarians.

[
Yeah you are right he was illegal.

Is things in Indian occupied Punjab that bad or is it the same mentality as people have in Azad Punjab where they think streets abroad are littered with gold?
Shahrukh’s previous movie showed that as well how Punjabis that have gone abroad even if they struggling like hell show off back home as its amazing abroad.

Only now is there some clarity on what’s the reality..but many Punjabis are looking for short cuts and show off, I have grown distant from my culture due to their fake bravado and reluctance to even learn from Marathi and South Indians the importance of education.

Europe protects its legal workers very well. There's no better place for work life balance than European countries.
The problem is with illegal migrants. Many of them are undocumented and have no rights. This opens the door for exploitation by unscrupulous employers, many of whom are of the same nationality or origin as these poor workers.
The problem with Punjab is that illegal immigration is a racket there. People smugglers and agents are hand in glove with the police, civil administration and even politicians, all of whom get a cut in the proceeds. There have been instances where immigration officials in airports have been asked to look the other way.

Back