England (141 & 279/5) defeat New Zealand (132 & 285) by 5 wickets to win the 1st Test at Lord's

Its happening folks....

First fifty as Test captain for Ben Stokes

England on their way.

Its happening folks....

First fifty as Test captain for Ben Stokes

England on their way.

Oops!!

Jamieson to Stokes, out Caught by Blundell!! It's Jamieson, the man! How many times have we seen him get a wicket when the team needs it badly. Stokes c Blundell b Jamieson 54(110) [4s-5 6s-3]

lcimg-f4d91681-7abe-4c1a-92de-0eb69db8448b.jpg

England need 101 runs

Once below 100 - England have to be favourites?!

I dunno. Root out, all out... Foakes is defending, he's not rotating strike.

77 to win.

look at it from NZ side - they are also tense and know game is slipping.

New ball still 20 overs away. England should accumulate as many runs as possible before the new cherry is available for NZ.

If Foakes can get to 30 and Root is still there, England have got this.

Jamieson has six balls to turn the tide tonight....

England need to chase it down before the new ball. 4 an over is achievable with Root on the crease.

Free flowing Root is the best Root.

Root been brilliant again, hopefully he sees it through tomorrow and leads England to a good win.

Joe Root and Ben Stokes gave England huge hope of a stunning victory on a gripping third day of the first Test against New Zealand at Lord's.

Chasing a challenging 277, England reached 216-5, needing another 61 runs. Though captain Stokes was out for 54, former skipper Root remains on 77, having added 57 with Ben Foakes.

The fifth-wicket pair dragged the home side from 69-4 and England would have been 76-5 had Colin de Grandhomme not overstepped in bowling Stokes when he had only one.

The Stokes-Root partnership added 90 and was only ended by Stokes trying a needless uppercut that gave impressive pace bowler Kyle Jamieson a fourth wicket.

England's turnaround began in the morning session, when they took three wickets in three balls to spark a New Zealand collapse of 6-34.

Daryl Mitchell completed a century, but after he was out for 108 and Tom Blundell for 96, the Black Caps were dismissed for 285.

Then came the ups and downs of the England chase, leaving the prospect of a grandstand conclusion on the fourth morning.

Would like to see Root get an unbeaten ton and see him team through. What a way that would be to get to 10,000 test runs.

Well well my wish may come true tomorrow.

Joe Root required 23 runs to achieve 2 x milestones:

1. 26th test century
2. 10,000 test runs

If he gets to 100, England should have enough to win the first test.

Despite some shambolic batting, it's been an enthralling Test match.

Thanks to the numpties at Vodafone who've left me without broadband, I haven't able to catch a single ball live. Thank god for TMS and BBC's highlights.

Root has been beyond awesome, played a genuine blinder up to now. Hopefully he can get his century and his 10,000 runs & take us over the line. If anyone deserves to be at the centre of such a legendary magic moment at Lord’s, the home of cricket — after all he has given over the years — it is Joe.

From an overall England perspective, even if things go pear shaped in the morning and we fall short it’s been okay this weekend: we have put in a massively improved fielding & catching performance and a solid bowling performance as well, getting the twenty wickets for the first time in a while. If Brendon can sort our batters out, then whisper it, but we might be in danger of becoming a decent team again.

Now if England had a decent lower order I would say this one is already done. 61 runs with 5 wickets in the shed and arguably the world’s best batsman at the crease is a decent position.

The problem is that it’s an old fashioned pack of cards sort of tail end (needs a rethink if possible) and they could all easily fold quickly if we lose the great Root…

…so I’m chickening out and calling it straight down the middle. Evens!

Despite some shambolic batting, it's been an enthralling Test match.

Thanks to the numpties at Vodafone who've left me without broadband, I haven't able to catch a single ball live. Thank god for TMS and BBC's highlights.

I was doing a bit of work in the garden and listened to TMS for a bit today. Mainly just before tea while Jeremy Coney and Aggers spoke about Coney winning a test in Pakistan.

The coverage was top class as usual. I was genuinley tempted to switch off Sky and just follow on the radio.

The banter bridgade style of TV coverage can learn lessons from TMS for how to make a show funny without compromising on quality.

England to win tomorrow! And as soon they get close I'll be sticking on TMS.

I think either NZ win by 15 runs or England get over the line by 2 wickets.

What an excellent day's cricket we've had?

Highlights

<iframe width="800" height="713" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3WkWqhF4DiI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] - good point about the catching, unlike the drop machine slip cordon of the last couple of years.

[MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] - good point about the catching, unlike the drop machine slip cordon of the last couple of years.

Yes: perfect catching with nothing grassed, almost every throw at the stumps registering a hit, no otherthrows, minimal extras, chasing everything to the boundary and putting bodies on the line, lots of energy in the field, no wasted reviews on poor LBW shouts, slip catchers wide awake (see De Grandhomme run out), Stokes in command.

We didn’t bowl out the World Test Champions for 130 first up after losing the toss and then make them collapse twice again in the second innings (either side of the big partnership) by luck or by pure accident.

Good signs in the out-cricket under Brendon.

The unthinkable could happen - a draw! Forecast looks very poor for the next two days

This one Test has been more entertaining and competitive than the entire recent Ashes that has held in Australia.

What a beauty of a Test. Nice low scoring counterpunching game. Some class on show from Root, Stokes, Jimmy and all the NZ bowlers but especially Jamieson 2nd innings.

Couple of NZ bats did well that I haven't seen play before. Wonder if they can replace Taylor/Watling, that's a big ask.

It's in Englands favour but that classic scenario where 2 wickets could change everything.

Because I'd posted that both teams look a bit short of Test type form in the first innings- needed another FC game to get in rhythm. Both teams have come off mostly t20s lately. Some players are able to adapt a bit better in the second innings as a result.

If England win - that crazy spell of batting by NZ yesterday morning has to be the turning point.

3 wickets in one over from Broad!

I was doing a bit of work in the garden and listened to TMS for a bit today. Mainly just before tea while Jeremy Coney and Aggers spoke about Coney winning a test in Pakistan.

The coverage was top class as usual. I was genuinley tempted to switch off Sky and just follow on the radio.

The banter bridgade style of TV coverage can learn lessons from TMS for how to make a show funny without compromising on quality.

England to win tomorrow! And as soon they get close I'll be sticking on TMS.
Coney's a brilliant storyteller. He confirmed Kiwi umpires like Fred Goodall were NZ's 12th man at home in the 80s :))

It's a solid team. I get a kick out of Phil Tufnell's childlike innocence. Despite his dopey social media postings - Michael Vaughan knows his cricket. Alastair Cook's starting to grow more comfortable as a broadcaster. And Aggers holds everything together.

As for the game - NZL were slightly rocked by ENG's counterattack yesterday, but they just need one wicket and they're into ENG's long tail.

It's on Joe Root now.

Masterclass from England, hope Root gets his ton and remains unbeaten . Would be among his best knocks ever.

Wonderfully controlled innings from Root.

Never looked in trouble.

Foakes looking good so far.

34 to win.

New ball in eight overs is NZ's last chance - but they might not get to use it.

Root has been outstanding and Foakes has been very solid this morning too.

Foakes to 31, with 16 to win. Four overs to the new ball.

Ton to Roooooooooooooot and ten thousand test runs!

Rooty is having a real renaissance period. This is turning into what a 2 year purple patch?

That's a handy NZ attack too, not easy runs.

Bit of history developing between these 2 sides since the ODI & WTC. This might be a really good series.

Magnificent by Root, and a run chase that I did not believe this batting line could achieve. I thought we would be shot out for 150.

Root, Stokes and Foakes stopped yet another collapse.

Great to see Foakes at the end there too. This will do him a power of good. He knows he is #1 keeper now.

Not that Joe Root's batting particularly suffered from the burden of captaincy - but relinquishing it and now solely focusing on batting may bring his form to even bigger heights.

The new era starts with a win.

Lets be honest here - we can talk about a new era, new coach, new England but once again the only thing standing between them and a certain defeat is Joe Root.

Brilliant matchwinning knock from a world class player — Joe Root will take the headlines (deservedly so) but also make room in there for a beautiful Ben Foakes supporting innings; he has cemented his own spot with this contribution.

One of England’s best Test match wins in years.

Absolutely fantastic win for England and yet again what a performance by one of the GOATS Joe Root. This will give England alot of confidence for the summer ahead. Also brilliant for young Potts.

Brilliant matchwinning knock from a world class player — Joe Root will take the headlines (deservedly so) but also make room in there for a beautiful Ben Foakes supporting innings; he has cemented his own spot with this contribution.

One of England’s best Test match wins in years.

It's a step forward and the first win in ten tests but there are still major issues - the top three continue to ablate, the fast bowler injury crisis and the reliance on the two ageing bowling heroes.

But I think we can win this series, and beat India to square that series too.

This is Root's best ever test knock. yesterday, I envisaged that he would reach this ton to see his team through. What a way to reach 10,000 test runs.

Joe Root scored a masterful 26th century and passed 10,000 Test runs as he steered England to a five-wicket victory over New Zealand on day four of the LV= Insurance series opener at Lord's.

England resumed needing 61 runs with five wickets in hand to complete a chase of 277 having recovered from 69-4 the previous afternoon thanks principally to former captain Root (115no) and new skipper Ben Stokes (54).

Root, who began the day on 77, extended his sixth-wicket stand with Ben Foakes (32no) to an unbroken 120 as England secured a first Test victory in 10 attempts and ensured the Stokes and Brendon McCullum era got off to a victorious start.

New Zealand would have been buoyed by the damp and overcast conditions around Lord's, as well as the length of England's tail and the fact they could call on the second new ball in 15 overs if required.

But Root - whose 157-ball ton was his first in the fourth innings of a Test - and Foakes shone under leaden skies, meaning Matthew Potts, Stuart Broad, James Anderson and Matt Parkinson were not needed with the bat and that the game was wrapped up seven deliveries before the new ball became available.

Root pumped Tim Southee over midwicket for four to complete victory for England, who can now wrap up a first Test series win since January 2021 if they triumph at Trent Bridge from Friday.

Root reached three figures and became the 14th man, and joint-youngest, to reach 10,000 Test runs when he scored his 23rd run of the morning.

The Yorkshireman achieved the latter landmark at exactly the same age as Sir Alastair Cook (31 years, 157 days) - the only other Englishman with more than 10,000 Test runs - when he tucked Southee into the leg-side for two.

Sunday's serene conclusion was in stark contrast to much of the rest of the Test, which was a frantic, see-saw affair with England well on top at stages but looking poised for another morale-sapping defeat at others.

Stokes' side rolled New Zealand for just 132 on day one - debutant Potts and the recalled Anderson sharing eight wickets - but then capitulated from 59-0 to 141 all out in reply as their longstanding batting problems were in evidence yet again.

Potts, Anderson and Broad then reduced New Zealand to 56-4 in their second innings, at which point the Black Caps' lead was a paltry 47 and a two-day finish, not seen at Lord's since 1888, seemed plausible.

Daryl Mitchell (108 from 203 balls) and Tom Blundell (96 from 198) rescued New Zealand with a fifth-wicket partnership of 195 as the tourists' advantage swelled to 242 - only for England to then launch a superb riposte with the ball on Saturday morning, taking six wickets for 34 runs.

England's top-order frailties were in full view again as they slumped to 69-4 in the run chase but a fifth-wicket alliance of 90 between Root and Stokes steadied the home side - Stokes reprieved by a Colin de Grandhomme no-ball after chopping onto his stumps when he had just one run to his name.

Root found a fine ally in Foakes, though, with the latter striking a batch of boundaries early on day four after resuming unbeaten on nine.

The final day was about Root, however, who became just the third man to hit an unbeaten hundred in the fourth innings of a Lord's Test, after Gordon Greenidge for West Indies against England in 1984 and Nasser Hussain for England versus New Zealand in 2004.

Sky Sports' Nasser Hussain: "It was brilliant, right from the first ball to the scenes at the end. There was no drama on Sunday - but there was one individual that the country and English cricket fans wanted to stand to and that was Root.

"They love him and it was such a joyous moment for him to get to 10,000 Test runs and England over the line.

It is a change in era for English cricket and it was absolutely vital they started with a win. You can imagine the confidence in that dressing room now.

"All the young lads will be hanging on every word from McCullum and Stokes and want to improve. It's only a start and they can't get giddy about it but it's the start England needed."

SKYCRICKET

It's a step forward and the first win in ten tests but there are still major issues - the top three continue to ablate, the fast bowler injury crisis and the reliance on the two ageing bowling heroes.

Yes all the same problems remain.

Better to be winning though :)

Good hard fought win by Eng. Awesome by Root, 26th 100 and 10k runs -Wow!
Gr8 to test match being played in this spirit.

I think our over rated IPL supremos will rock up on your shores with a surfeit of 20/20, struggling to recognize one end of the bat from the other. Whereas your guys will be battle hardened, worked out your combos and raring to go. Duds- just ripe for the taking - just like 2021 playing the first test being as important & as poignant as the WTC finals against NZ who had already got into their groove.

What was striking was the total lack of swing on late 3rd day and defo 4th day. This win just tapers over big cracks- both teams top orders havent fired.

So both teams a'int flash against swing and seam in Eng when it swings big time.

And if it ai'nt conducive to conventional swing (for eg 3-4th day) Both teams y ain't flash bowling reverse or taking wickets in unhelpful conditions.

both ain't flash against play pace and bounce in Aus

Both ain't flash against spin & turn in SC conditions

We aint flash against swing and reverse in SAF conditions

Yet guess who gets the rap for 'bad travellers, cant win outside home, home advantage, our board throws their weight because of which we win, every ranking is because of the big 3 agenda, BCCI controls the FTC programe yatiyaityah'
Some self introspection - surely??:ua

I think our over rated IPL supremos will rock up on your shores with a surfeit of 20/20, struggling to recognize one end of the bat from the other. Whereas your guys will be battle hardened, worked out your combos and raring to go. Duds- just ripe for the taking - just like 2021 playing the first test being as important & as poignant as the WTC finals against NZ who had already got into their groove.

Possibly. As I say England have taken a step forward but this side has serious weaknesses. The fielding is sharper, and the second innings didn't collapse, so those are positives to build on.

Captain Kane Williamson says New Zealand must move on quickly from its five-wicket loss to England in the first Test after the touring side let a winning position slip at Lord’s to go 1-0 down in the three-match series.

New Zealand was in a commanding position as it led by 242 runs in its second innings with six wickets remaining, but lost three in three balls to open the door for England to fight back and, in the end, complete a comfortable victory.

The hosts came into the fourth day needing another 61 runs and eased to the win in dark and gloomy conditions as Joe Root (115 not out) and Ben Foakes (32 not out) put together an excellent unbeaten sixth-wicket stand of 120.

"We thought there might be some assistance from the overhead (conditions) but it wasn't to be," Williamson said. "It's about moving on quickly and taking the learnings. There's always plenty to take forward."

The New Zealand captain hailed the innings of Root as the turning-point in the game and praised the England batsman for passing 10,000 Test runs.

"It was a fantastic game of cricket which took an incredible innings from an amazing player to get them across the line. It’s truly an unbelievable achievement, recognising the quality of the player and also his longevity."

Since beating India in the final of the World Test Championship in England almost exactly a year ago, New Zealand have lost a series to the Indians, and been held to home series draws with Bangladesh and South Africa.

The second Test begins at Trent Bridge in Nottingham on Friday, giving little time for the touring side to lick their wounds, with question marks over the fitness of all-rounder Colin de Grandhomme, who only bowled 3.5 overs in England’s second innings due to a heel injury.

"Everybody wants to be contributing more," Williamson said. "We'll reflect on this and look forward to the next one."

Reuters

Back