England (141 & 279/5) defeat New Zealand (132 & 285) by 5 wickets to win the 1st Test at Lord's

Highlights of the day

<iframe width="800" height="713" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ypCTw7qY_VM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The perfect day's play :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20220605_120802.jpg
    IMG_20220605_120802.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20220605-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20220605-WA0012.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 27
Joe Root is a world class player and comfortably the best Big 4 batsman in the last 3 years. These are the performances which count and give you real satisfaction ie match winning knocks

I said before the series that a 1-1 result in the somewhat adverse circumstances would represent a good effort from Brendon and Ben’s England team, and I stand by this. I’m not ready to raise my expectations just yet. In the second Test, the Trent Bridge conditions will suit New Zealand’s bowlers and they will come back hard.

It's a step forward and the first win in ten tests but there are still major issues - the top three continue to ablate, the fast bowler injury crisis and the reliance on the two ageing bowling heroes.

But I think we can win this series, and beat India to square that series too.

Lol you won one home game. Calm down. Had cdg been available and not injured then i don't believe England would have crossed the line here.

World-class knock against an attack featuring Bolt, Southee, Jamison in conditions which favoured them. The way he plays the ball late on off stump off the back foot close to his body is a treat to watch.

World-class knock against an attack featuring Bolt, Southee, Jamison in conditions which favoured them. The way he plays the ball late on off stump off the back foot close to his body is a treat to watch.

Agreed. He is so classy. On another level. He is better than a peak kohli.

Foakes is the difference. Such panache and composure. Not easy conditions at all with the mist and cloud cover. Lights made little difference, with NZ struggling to utilise very favourable conditions.

A brilliant effort in the circumstances and can't beat a freebie.

Back