England (337/4) defeat India (336/6) by 6 wickets to win 2nd ODI - Series level at 1-1

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
After a dramatic turn of events that led to India winning the first ODI by 66 runs, England will need to keep their chances in the three-match series alive with a win.

Overview:

India v England, 2nd ODI
Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Pune
Friday, 26 March; 01.30pm local time, 08.00am GMT

The clash between the top two white-ball titans has seen the tour ebb and flow since the first Test but India has emerged victorious in the red-ball format as well as the T20Is. They have also taken a 1-0 lead in the three-match ODI series.

Both the sides will likely see forced changes in the second match owing to injuries. England’s captain Eoin Morgan suffered a split webbing while Sam Billings sprained his collarbone joint. Both will be unavailable for the second ODI. Morgan, in fact, has been ruled out of the remainder of the series with Jos Buttler to captain the side.

It will be interesting to see what Liam Livingston does with the opportunity he has got as he is expected to make his ODI debut in the absence of Morgan.

From India’s camp, Shreyas Iyer has been ruled out of the remainder of the series due to a dislocated shoulder. Rohit Sharma also took a blow on the right elbow and didn’t take the field in the second innings but wasn’t deemed serious.

Remember the last time:

Indian batsmen posted a competitive target of 318 runs, thanks to half-centuries by Shikhar Dhawan (98), Virat Kohli (56), and a combined finishing effort from debutant Krunal Pandya (58*) and KL Rahul (62*).

In reply, the English opening batsmen Jonny Bairstow (94) and Jason Roy (46) hit back with a counter-offensive stand of 135 runs off 86 balls. However, debutant Prasidh Krishna (4/54), Shardul Thakur (3/37), and Bhuvneshwar Kumar (2/30) turned the tide in India's favour – bowling them out for 251, ensuring a 66-run win.

What they said:

Shikhar Dhawan (India opener): “It feels good to see young talent come into the side. They play a lot of domestic cricket with the IPL alongside and against big names helps build a lot of confidence coming into the international. They even get training from the world’s top-notch coaching staff.”

Eoin Morgan (England captain): “I think we are a really dangerous side to play against. Particularly the way went about our business in the first match in the majority of the game. If we had played really well and been on top form, we would have chased that total down in no time but that wasn’t meant to be.”

Squads:

India Squad: Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli(c), Suryakumar Yadav, KL Rahul(w), Hardik Pandya, Krunal Pandya, Shardul Thakur, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Kuldeep Yadav, Prasidh Krishna, Yuzvendra Chahal, T Natarajan, Rishabh Pant, Mohammed Siraj, Washington Sundar, Shubman Gill

England Squad: Jason Roy, Jonny Bairstow, Ben Stokes, Dawid Malan, Jos Buttler(w/c), Liam Livingstone, Moeen Ali, Sam Curran, Tom Curran, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood, Reece Topley, Matthew Parkinson

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

Remember - no Morgan for the remainder of the series!

I see only an Indian win in this series.

We should do away with the formality of having toss when Kohli is one of the captains.

We should do away with the formality of having toss when Kohli is one of the captains.

I vote for to do away with Kohli as a captain altogether. I will prefer Kohli focuses on the batting and get back his rhythm of 2015-17

I vote for to do away with Kohli as a captain altogether. I will prefer Kohli focuses on the batting and get back his rhythm of 2015-17
Have been saying this for long. We desperately need Kohli, the batsman and not the Kohli, the captain in any of the format.

Although even for Kohli it'll be really hard to replicate his form of 2015-17. Shame, we still didn't win any trophy during his best years. We're ruing that, I'm sure Kohli too will be ruing that.

As I said, toss isn't required when Kohli is one of the captains going for toss.

England have won the toss and have opted to field

490132cb-9205-41c7-b0c2-39add13b34c6.jpgc08cebdb-e8b3-41ff-bd78-4aeb708bcb81.jpg

Last edited:
Liningstone making his debut, Pant comes in for Iyer.

Have been saying this for long. We desperately need Kohli, the batsman and not the Kohli, the captain in any of the format.

Although even for Kohli it'll be really hard to replicate his form of 2015-17. Shame, we still didn't win any trophy during his best years. We're ruing that, I'm sure Kohli too will be ruing that.

The captain Kohli outperformed batsman Kohli during his peak years. :)

Remember - no Morgan for the remainder of the series!

I see only an Indian win in this series.

Buttler will prove all of us wrong.

As per my prediction, England are winning this despite a Pant masterclass.

England have won 9/11 possible tosses on this tour so far.

Would've been so nice to instead try someone like SKY or Ishan in place of this waste of space.

Kohli has now lost 17 out of last 19 tosses against England. It will be 18 out of 20 after the next match. Looks like even the law of averages doesn't give a hoot.

Dhawan's performance in the last match has done more harm than good in the long run. There will be a lot of "4 off 20" kind of innings still to come. He's going nowhere and will definitely play the 2023 worldcup in india.

Our top-3 which used to be our strength, is now our biggest weakness.

Those 2 early wickets should help england here.

One more wicket and England will be into our tail.

Our top-3 which used to be our strength, is now our biggest weakness.
Yeah but in t20s. 45-50 for no loss in powerplay is good for our top 3 as they can accelerate at back end of innings. Need to remove dhawan then i have no problem with top 3.

Yeah but in t20s. 45-50 for no loss in powerplay is good for our top 3 as they can accelerate at back end of innings. Need to remove dhawan then i have no problem with top 3.
As England has proved, you need to be blazing away at all times not just at the end of innings. No wonder, they are the world champs.

Last game was an anomaly.

As for Dhawan, he is a liability. Can't accelerate at any point.

As England has proved, you need to be blazing away at all times not just at the end of innings. No wonder, they are the world champs.

Last game was an anomaly.

No need to worry. We have the trio of KL, Pant and Pandya :inti

No need to worry. We have the trio of KL, Pant and Pandya :inti
Lets see. Hope you're proved right. However, we do have to worry about our top-3. Even when our top-3 was in such a good form during WC '19, England still romped home easily.

Now we can't even say these 3 are in good form.

India have now reached 50 in as many overs England took to score 130 last match.

We have not been this bad in first 10 overs since Tendulkar started opening in ODIs.

Rahul has been plain lucky so far in this innings. Hope he makes good use of his good fortune today.

ICC should do all of us a favor and ban this pathetic boring bland ODI team. :sendoff

So boring to watch ... at least get get 6 or 7 runs an over .. this is literally sleep inducing 💤

In this day and age, this is seriously poor batting by us.

And the worst part is that team think tank (Read Kohli) thinks, this is all good.

As for Dhawan, he is a liability. Can't accelerate at any point.
We need one dasher upfront in place of dhawan. Top 3 slow starters add kl too in that list, pant unproven in odis, except pandya no one is there in this batting lineup to blaze from word go. Kishan in place of dhawan, pant at 4 has to deliver, kl at 5,pandya at 6, jadeja at 7.

These two should try to bat till 40th over at least. This Indian middle order looks scary both for Indian fans and the opposition. :inti

Butler is an awful awful keeper. He will cost England a big game one day

I as an Indian fan hope we lose this series. This kind of batting is a throwback to the 90's and will do so no good. We were fortunate to win the 1st ODI but luck wouldnt strike again. I had hoped this lesson was learnt in 2019 but unfortunately no. Thankfully changes are being made to the T20 approach, a loss here would be a kick at the right time for them.

The wicket of Rohit, just when he was starting to motor, was a very big blow. India haven’t been able to get off the ground since.

Shikhar Dhawan is diabolical. He is gonna ride on last matchs performance and make a case till the next World cup by which time we would be 37. What's the point persuading with him I cant understand.

We need one dasher upfront in place of dhawan. Top 3 slow starters add kl too in that list, pant unproven in odis, except pandya no one is there in this batting lineup to blaze from word go. Kishan in place of dhawan, pant at 4 has to deliver, kl at 5,pandya at 6, jadeja at 7.

Kishan, KL Rahul and Pant in the same team lol? Why not Gill at 4? Team management should develop him as Kohli's successor. :inti

These two need to up the ante or else the blame will go to Pant and Pandya for getting out in the process of upping the ante.

These two need to up the ante or else the blame will go to Pant and Pandya for getting out in the process of upping the ante.

Can't they score a 30 ball 60 or something to up the ante? I am sure they are in this team for this exact thing? Or they only score when the team is in good position? :inti

Is there a more sycophantic bunch than the BCCI commentators. I've been hearing the commentary for the past half an hour and all the talk has been how England is supposedly not being pro active enough to look for wickets and how it's all too comfortable for India.

If you just hear the commentary without the video or scorecard, you could be forgiven for believing India is going at 7 runs an over and not 4.5 they're actually going at. I could care less if India make 350 from here, just call the game for what it is instead of waxing lyrical about how good Kohli is. These guys should be made to watch how guys like Nasser, Atherton and Key analyse the gameplan in Sky sports UK.

The problem with Indian commentators is they always talk about the person and his larger than life personality while English commentators talk about the game and the tactics behind it.

Is there a more sycophantic bunch than the BCCI commentators. I've been hearing the commentary for the past half an hour and all the talk has been how England is supposedly not being pro active enough to look for wickets and how it's all too comfortable for India.

If you just hear the commentary without the video or scorecard, you could be forgiven for believing India is going at 7 runs an over and not 4.5 they're actually going at. I could care less if India make 350 from here, just call the game for what it is instead of waxing lyrical about how good Kohli is. These guys should be made to watch how guys like Nasser, Atherton and Key analyse the gameplan in Sky sports UK.

The problem with Indian commentators is they always talk about the person and his larger than life personality while English commentators talk about the game and the tactics behind it.

Haha. Problem with Indian commentators is also that they wear a tag India Cricket on their breast pocket and for them to earn the BCCI approval or should I say be part of the BCCI approved list of panelsts and they are handed down a list of Dos and Donts. On top of the list is TO NOT criticize Indian cricket.

Too much criticism of India here ... India has different tactics and they are playing accordingly.. we don't have the depth that England have and preserving wickets work for them.. do not expect us to play like Bairstow does.. seriously we have ridiculous Dan's who expect miracles every single time

Ind were 159-1 after 30 in 1st ODI

If anything they regressed, 142-2

Must admit, listening to the Sky commentary either side of the Star commentary this season, there is an absolute chasm in terms of both objectivity and quality.

Can't they score a 30 ball 60 or something to up the ante? I am sure they are in this team for this exact thing? Or they only score when the team is in good position? :inti

You can't expect all of them to do. On a given day, only one can while the other two will end up throwing their wicket.

Even Iyer scores faster than KL Rahul in the middle overs.

So what is the use of this tactic if you are to get out after consuming so many deliveries, to an innocous delivery?

KL apparently calls him self 'King legend'.

Not sure what the serious cricketers such as Ponting, Viv, Sachin think about that...

Kohli was running right in the middle of danger zone but umpires too know they cant do much

Unless someone plays a blinder like Krunal did in the first ODI, we are reaching nowhere near 300 today.

Too much criticism of India here ... India has different tactics and they are playing accordingly.. we don't have the depth that England have and preserving wickets work for them.. do not expect us to play like Bairstow does.. seriously we have ridiculous Dan's who expect miracles every single time

Yeah sure keep believing that India doesn't have depth if it makes you feel better about out "game plan"..

Ben Stokes was caught mistakenly applying saliva on the ball for the second time during England's tour of India

Stokes misfields one to the boundary, doesn't happen often. Rahul the lucky batsman, again.

KL apparently calls him self 'King legend'.

Not sure what the serious cricketers such as Ponting, Viv, Sachin think about that...

Nobody calls themselves King or Legend unless in a sarcastic tone.

Yeah sure keep believing that India doesn't have depth if it makes you feel better about out "game plan"..
We have not won a single LoI world tourney since WC '11. With the kind of depth we've had, this is simply an indictment of Dhoni & Kohli.

Extremely poor of Kohli & Rahul to have let Moeen concede less than 5 rpo.

Even if we score @ 8 rpo for next 15 overs, we're not reaching 300 today.

That's how poor Kohli & Rahul have been today.

Back