England [432] defeat India [78 & 278] by an innings and 76 runs to win 3rd Test and level series 1-1

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
England [432] defeat India [78 & 278] by an innings and 76 runs to win 3rd Test and level series 1-1

India looking very good for taking a lead at some point but will it be enough to keep England away from a win? Or Could India start thinking of a win here?

qLOCGKgIQOuoOe4TlBKd_Catch%20%2815%29.jpg

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it.

Craig Overton insists England are still in a great position to level their five-match series against India, despite a spirited rearguard action from India's top order on day three of the third Test at Emerald Headingley.

England boasted a first innings lead of 354 after being bowled out for 432 on Friday morning, before India responded by reaching 215-2 at stumps, trailing by 139 runs.

Cheteshwar Pujara frustrated Joe Root's men with an unbeaten 91, compiling an unbroken third-wicket partnership of 99 with Virat Kohli (45no), after Rohit Sharma (59) had earlier registered his 14th Test half-century.

"We knew they would come back and fight again today. We know what they are like as a team and what their characters are like, so we knew it would be tricky," Overton said.

"Credit to them, they played really well and made it hard for us, and we've got to come back tomorrow and show what we can do again.

"We're still in a great position in this game, especially with the new ball in the morning. If we get a couple of early wickets then we can hammer it home a bit more."

England may consider themselves unfortunate to have claimed just two wickets across a gruelling day of action, with Overton, Jimmy Anderson and Ollie Robinson producing a series of high-quality spells, particularly in the opening two sessions.

Sky Sports' Michael Holding also felt England's bowlers performed better than the scorecard suggests, but he was full of praise for the discipline and resolve shown by India's batsmen after their abject first-innings display.

"I would not fault the England bowlers. They were a little unfortunate in that quite a few balls went past the outside edge - which did not happen in the first innings," Holding told Sky Sports.

"The pitch has flattened out; a little bit of swing was still there today but not a lot of lateral movement. You have to give a lot of credit to the Indian batsmen."

England will begin day four with the second new ball at their disposal, and Overton admits the morning session could prove decisive in the final reckoning.

"I think all of us bowlers will be hunting to try and get them out. We probably go about it in a different way than what they were [at Lord's], so we've just got to make sure we stick to how we work best as a unit, and we'll get the rewards from there," he added.

"It is always nice to get a game and get a few runs with the bat, and then contribute with the ball. Obviously I would like to be doing more, but I think that is just me as a character."
Overton relishing Test return...

"It will be massive. We have to be on it from ball one, hopefully we can get those couple of early wickets. Obviously if they start really well then we've got a real scrap of a game on."

Overton is featuring in his first Test match since 2019, and the Somerset seamer has impressed with bat and ball on his return to action.

The 27-year-old boasted figures of 3-14 from 10.4 overs in the first innings, before producing a useful cameo with the bat - making 32 from just 42 deliveries before succumbing to Mohammed Shami.

Overton, who has taken 37 wickets in the County Championship this term, also claimed the wicket of KL Rahul on the stroke of lunch on day three, but he insists there is still more to come.

Jonny Bairstow took a sensational one-handed catch at slip to give England a breakthrough just before lunch
"I've obviously been away for a couple of years and obviously been around the squads, and been around certain Test sides, so I still feel like I've contributed even though I haven't played," Overton continued.

"It is always nice to get a game and get a few runs with the bat, and then contribute with the ball. Obviously I would like to be doing more, but I think that is just me as a character.

"I always like to be contributing to the team, so hopefully I can come back tomorrow and get a few more wickets.

SKY

Game will be over in the first hour after we inevitably lose at least 2 wickets against the brand new ball.

Just hope we avoid an innings defeat.

And what of England's bowlers? MICHAEL HOLDING believes they were a little unlucky...

"I would not fault the England bowlers. They were a little unfortunate in that quite a few balls went past the outside edge – which did not happen in the first innings. The pitch has flattened out; a little bit of swing was still there today but not a lot of lateral movement. You have to give a lot of credit to the Indian batsmen."

DINESH KARTHIK's verdict on that Indian effort with the bat on Day 3...

"The Indian batters came up with a plan, they were very resilient – a lot of shots were taken by the England bowlers against them – but they found a way to stay there. One step at a time, one day at a time, but the third day has been good to them.

“Pujara’s innings today was very important. When he walked in, he was under a lot of pressure. It again shows Pujara’s mental fortitude – he found a way to stay there and still score runs. I loved the intent and energy he brought to the crease."

And what of England's bowlers? MICHAEL HOLDING believes they were a little unlucky...

"I would not fault the England bowlers. They were a little unfortunate in that quite a few balls went past the outside edge – which did not happen in the first innings. The pitch has flattened out; a little bit of swing was still there today but not a lot of lateral movement. You have to give a lot of credit to the Indian batsmen."

India's score could have been even better were it not for that umpires decision of Rohit's dismissal. Not ruing over it but just pointing out that even India were equally unfortunate

Real tough cricket yesterday. Proper test match batting and bowling on display.

Yesterday was the highest quality day of Test cricket of the series. Superb batting, bowling, and fielding.

Heart says that I want this to go down to a 5th day thriller with England chasing 120 and all results possible — but head says that there is enough in the wicket for England to break through with the new ball and then take regular wickets which will secure an easy win.

Real tough cricket yesterday. Proper test match batting and bowling on display.

Absolutely. Nothing much happened yesterday so to speak but the slow grind was absorbing.
Plain vanilla flavour but the best kind

Good fight yesterday. Surprised to see lack of swing. I always thought headingley was always swing swing and more swing.
Any ways, whats cruicial is as an indian supporter i hope we make them sweat and stretch them as much as we can.
Grumperson has already bowled 19 and if we make him bowl a dozen more , will be crucial as have back to back two tests now.
Hope we show the steel and fight on.

What an epic game.

Pujara has played a very good innings under immense pressure.

All Indian SENA test tours are so entertaining to watch.

As people above pointed out, was hard yakka test cricket yesterday. More of the same please!:)
that said, i just feel Eng were a overpitching and on the legs a lot, that wont happen all the time.
The conditions will be fresh, the new ball harder and they will be up for it, quicker and i guess swing will appear at some point.
I just dont feel our guys are going to make it past lunch. Am just not too confident.
Happy to be pleasantly surprised.
But then that is the beauty of test cricket, we tune in to see a good stoush.

But if clutching at starws, or taking the positives as someone above mentoned if they donot get the wickets, the Eng bowlers will be feeling the heat in this long series.
Go Indiaaaa!

Yesterday was the highest quality day of Test cricket of the series. Superb batting, bowling, and fielding.

Heart says that I want this to go down to a 5th day thriller with England chasing 120 and all results possible — but head says that there is enough in the wicket for England to break through with the new ball and then take regular wickets which will secure an easy win.

Pant might get going on this flattening out deck.

Jimmy wasn’t at his best yesterday, seemed to be missing his timing.

Pant might get going on this flattening out deck.

Jimmy wasn’t at his best yesterday, seemed to be missing his timing.
Maybe Jimmy is tired. He has to deal with living up to his reputation everytime he gets ball in his hand. No Broad, no Archer, no Wood. If Jimmy doesn’t pick wickets, India has a chance today to get lead of 180 and make a game out of it.

OUTTTTTT!

Beautiful delivery from Robinson, he’s a fantastic bowler.

That was an incredibly poor umpiring decision to give that not out. It was full, inswinging, no shot played, and stone dead. Should not have required a review.

Pujara gone. Had gone into the shell. Out without adding any run.

This was bound to happen. Early morning, new ball and Pujara gets out at 91. Saved his career once again. Now he can bat 4 more innings without performing or scoring any fifty more.

WICKET! Pujara lbw b Robinson 91 - India 215-3

England have their early wicket! And it is that nip-backer, but it's Robinson who finally bowls it. Pujara shoulders arms expecting another to whistle by harmlessly outside off but it instead smashes into his front pad. Looks plumb, but incredibly given not out - England wisely review and it is overturned.

7DD791F2-F497-4820-BD92-EEB7BAC8D4A9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
England in first inning from 298-3 to 432 all-out.

So if India adds 134 runs, then they will just save innings defeat.

Great Test cricket again! Anderson moving the ball both ways. Odd that Kohli thought he had hit that and turned to walk off, Rahane bailed him out there!

Game will be over in the first hour after we inevitably lose at least 2 wickets against the brand new ball.

Just hope we avoid an innings defeat.

If we're going to lost then I'd rather have innings defeat..

A hard-fought half-century from VK off 120 deliveries. His first of the series.

26th in Test cricket.

WICKET! Kohli c Root b Robinson 55 - India 237-4
Kohli had brought up his half century earlier in the over - but he's gone now. And there's no doubt about this one. Robinson has his second of the morning as Kohli has a little nibble at one dangled in the corridor and Root takes a sharp catch at slip.

Really neat pressure catch from Root there.

The game might get over by lunch itself. Pant taking the charge because he is trying to negate the swing. But he is not stable enough.

Rahane Gone.

Looks like it might get over before lunch only.

I knew it.

Our trimurthis will score when the pressure is off...and get out when its on.

Pujara is a champ but knew this will turn out to be a useless career saving knock because he is like Dexter.

Survival instincts are too strong so he will play more and more of these knocks from now on.

Last game in Lords...him and Rahane played similarly useless knocks but luckily for them Bumrah and Shami used it to take the game away from England.

They need something special to turn this useless knock into a match winning one.

Then we can have exspurts like Laxman hailing it as a better win than Gabba :))

Last edited:
Rahane and kohli should be dropped to be honest. Absolutely pathetic from these two. Rahane is just mentally not there.

Should really win this by an innings but reckon India's tail will wag and get India 50-80 runs.

This game was a golden chance for India to get crushed and remove the deadweights.

Looks like we will lose and not even get to remove the deadweights.

The fluke Lords win did a lot of damage.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.

Pour it on, boys.

Pant has been awful this tour.

Yes he alwayd came in during a crisis but his approach has been pretty poor.

Match done and dusted ... Is it going to be an innings defeat or not is the question?

Whenever I see Pant bat in England, it seems like he always struggles to work out whether to play the patient game that the english conditions demand or play the attacking game.

He doesn't have a defensive technique to survive in English conditions, and he'll nick one ball anyway if he plays the patient game. He might as well swing through the gates and play like he usually does.

Rahane and kohli should be dropped to be honest. Absolutely pathetic from these two. Rahane is just mentally not there.

Remember when i asked a few months back...do we even need Kohli's runs?

Remove him and we will somehow magically start winning i feel.

I still think so....

Not on par but potential.

His approach is all wrong here.

Potential is one thing, and it’s all well and good swinging the bat when you got runs on the board, but in situations like today he will always fail in my opinion because he isn’t clever enough to adapt his game like say gilchrist was.

Whenever I see Pant bat in England, it seems like he always struggles to work out whether to play the patient game that the english conditions demand or play the attacking game.

He doesn't have a defensive technique to survive in English conditions, and he'll nick one ball anyway if he plays the patient game. He might as well swing through the gates and play like he usually does.

He has the defensive game.

He doesnt trust it which is sad.

Any time a test batsman starts thinking there will be one ball with my name on it...he is done.

Seen it a million times.

If you cant trust your defensive game, you are done.

Pant in Aus was amazing in his defense.

Potential is one thing, and it’s all well and good swinging the bat when you got runs on the board, but in situations like today he will always fail in my opinion because he isn’t clever enough to adapt his game like say gilchrist was.

He can.

Watch his Gabba knock mate.

Tale of 2 halves.

First half was patient batting.

Second half was madcap innings.

He has the defensive game.

He doesnt trust it which is sad.

Any time a test batsman starts thinking there will be one ball with my name on it...he is done.

Seen it a million times.

If you cant trust your defensive game, you are done.

Pant in Aus was amazing in his defense.

Lol cause the doesn’t even move a millimetre in Australia and their bowlers are garbage compared to the GOAT Anderson.

Kohli has declined so vigorously as a test batsman. Between 2016-2018, he was batting like a Bradman with multiple double hundreds in same year.

I said yesterday this game will be over by tea time today, and it will be way before then.

India did bat much better this innings and they had a good day yesterday.

However the wicket (though flattened) still had some movement for the quicks, especially with the new ball.

Overall India’s first innings disaster meant they could never recover. Bad decision batting first at a ground they just didn’t do their homework on.

The ball doesn’t move in Australia period but pant is a hack and I like him he’s amazing to watch will always pull those type of innings once in 33 matches.

In the air...not much though Thakur was moving it.

Off the ground yes it does.

And there is the bounce factor.

Pitch isnt slow like this one where you have time to adjust.

Different skillsets i agree but Pant has the fundamentals.

His mind is scrambled.

Approach all wrong.

He’s a good player but this gilchrist comparison is very premature, let him hit a few more match winning knocks before you get carried away

Thats why we call it potential.

Thats the fun part of cricket.

Seeing potential before results show up.

Rohit's potential was seen years before he came the monster he is today.

This is a particularly long tail. India should consider beefing up their batting at the Oval: possibly drop Ishant for Ashwin, with Ashwin to bat ahead of Shami who is not too good for a number eight. The Oval usually suits spinners as well, so Jadeja and Ashwin will be able to bowl in tandem.

Thats why we call it potential.

Thats the fun part of cricket.

Seeing potential before results show up.

Rohit's potential was seen years before he came the monster he is today.

But has Rohit lived upto the initial hype....he was built up to be the next great Test batter from Bombay after Tendulkar.

But it's been an avg test career at best for him.

Obviously he's a beast in white ball cricket.

Superb haul from Robinson.

Six wickets in the session, match likely to all be over before lunchtime.

This morning has been a bit of a rollover in all honesty.

Ok Kohli got a peach but Rahane was a poor shot and pujara just left an incoming full pitched ball...
When will they drop rahane?? Who'll replace him if they do?

Different India today. From a high back to low again

This is a particularly long tail. India should consider beefing up their batting at the Oval: possibly drop Ishant for Ashwin, with Ashwin to bat ahead of Shami who is not too good for a number eight. The Oval usually suits spinners as well, so Jadeja and Ashwin will be able to bowl in tandem.

Ashwin's definitely going to play next match

But has Rohit lived upto the initial hype....he was built up to be the next great Test batter from Bombay after Tendulkar.

He didnt.

He was a failure in ODIs till he opened.

For 5 years he struggled. 2008 to 2013.

Yuvi took 4 years to get going.

Laxman took 3 years to get going tho he had to open due to circumstances.

Top class bowling from Anderson and Robinson rather than saying poor batting by kohli. pujara and rahana.

It is the good bowling of Jimmy and Robinson that has gotten England wickets of kohli. pujara and rahana

He lived up to his hype in ODIs.

Test is ok but he is doing well now.

Mind you, i stopped rating Rohit by 2012.

Just giving an example as to how core talent can manifest when players work on their game.

Rohit the test bat is our best batsman right now.

The same guy who couldnt put bat on ball a few years bavk.

Tbh does this series really even matter when India already lost the world test championship like this is such a low grade series to be fair I can only count one guy that’s performed alone in this series and it seems like we’ve just been watching him the whole time only he’s looked worlds apart from everyone else on either sides and that’s joe root .

Back