England (416 & 425) convincingly defeat West Indies (457 & 143) by 241 runs in the 2nd Test match to win the series 2-0 with one match to play

INNINGS BREAK

West Indies 457/10 (111.5)

Day 3 - Session 1: West Indies lead by 41 runs.

1721478341552.png

1721478351344.png

Last edited:
Wow, what a partnership, 71 runs for the last wicket.

Hope windies resurgence saves test cricket

First time WI have crossed 450 in an away Test since 2013 (excl. Zimbabwe).

Still looks a good batting surface. WI must bowl and field much better than they did in the 1st inns now.

Sky Sports' Michael Atherton on West Indies' performance:

"A much better performance form West Indies, fantastic effort when you take in yesterday's performance from Kavem Hodge and Alick Athanaze.

"Joshua Da Silva is a gritty competitor. The last time England lost to the West Indies in Grenada he got a century. He really maximises his talent."

This is West Indies' highest team total in a Test in England in 29 years.

The last time they scored more than this was in August 1995 at The Oval where they posted 692/8d, where Brian Lara smashed 179

First time WI have crossed 450 in an away Test since 2013 (excl. Zimbabwe).

Still looks a good batting surface. WI must bowl and field much better than they did in the 1st inns now.

Think the last time they did that was when Darren Bravo scored a double ton in NZ when asked to follow on.

Which is why it's frustrating whenever people start demanding WI Test status be revoked after every defeat.

As if all other teams are world beaters in the format. WI beat England at home in 2019 and 2022, and took the 2017 and 2020 away series to a decider. They got a better result with a second-string team in Australia than Pakistan have with their legends since the late 1970s !

The likes of England, New Zealand, Pakistan and Sri Lanka haven't even won a Test down under in years, let alone at the Gabba.

Now they were undercooked for Lord's, and the 1st innings effort in the field here was poor. However the fight with the bat has been encouraging to watch.
Cricket is filled with elitist fans who expect all teams to be top-tier and thus express opinions like revoking test status or barring associate nations from participating in ICC events.

Good start for Windies. England lose their 1st wicket.

ENG - 14/1.

Trailing by 27 runs.

England plays the most exciting test cricket. Love watching them play.

Pope requires a new bat with a piece of his old blade chipping off as he looks to drive Joseph during the third over. Pope smokes an immediate boundary with his new willow as Joseph bowls wide outside off stump.

Tjr3Oc3.png

Last edited:
Pope requires a new bat with a piece of his old blade chipping off as he looks to drive Joseph during the third over. Pope smokes an immediate boundary with his new willow as Joseph bowls wide outside off stump.

Tjr3Oc3.png

Pope dodges hit wicket dismissal

If the broken bit of Ollie Pope's bat hit the bails, would he have been out?

Yes, says Sky Sports' Michael Atherton.

We've had it confirmed from the third umpire Nitin Menon that had it hit the bails, Pope would have been out hit wicket.

In 2007, we saw this dismissal between these two teams. Kevin Pietersen was at the crease when Dwayne Bravo knocked his helmet on to the stumps and KP was out hit wicket.

It's a rare form of dismissal but we have seen it before and would've been the case for Pope had that happened today.

atrocious captaincy by Stokes after fall of 9th at 386 ... ENG 31 ahead with 48 overs left , you think they will bat beyond 400 lead ?

Ben duckett is very impressive. He is probably the best batsman in this england lineup.

TMS :

Tea - Eng 116-1published at 22 overs
22 overs​

Duckett 61, Pope 48

That's tea, as Duckett defends Kevin Sinclair's final delivery.

A shortened session, just 22 overs, but England have cracked on, scoring at over five an over to lead by 75 runs at the interval.

The West Indies have largely failed to trouble their opponents, despite the overcast conditions at Trent Bridge.

Holder's pace way down. Has averaged 22 and 34 respectively with bat and ball since losing captaincy in Jan 2021. May be soon time for WI to groom another pace bowling AR.

Another day with about 10 overs short.

England in command 206 ahead.

Like I said even this morning that they'll get 200 lead today itself.

Stumps Day 3

England 248/3, 2nd Innings. England now lead West Indies by 207 runs.

Root and Brook build England lead over West Indies​

England recovered from a chaotic morning to build a healthy lead over West Indies on the third day of the second Test at Trent Bridge.

The hosts ended the day on 248-3, taken to an advantage of 207 by a classy unbroken partnership of 108 between Joe Root and Harry Brook.

England ended the day on top, yet were anything but when Joshua da Silva and Shamar Joseph were adding 71 for the last West Indies wicket.

Efficient with the second new ball, England reduced the tourists to 386-9, still 30 behind, only for Ben Stokes’ side to employ some baffling tactics and surrender the initiative.

England spread the field for Da Silva in the hope of exposing Joseph and instead released the pressure.

Da Silva clobbered three sixes and Joseph two of his own, one that showered spectators with broken roof tiles.

When Joseph was finally out for 33, Da Silva was stranded on 82 not out and West Indies had reached 457, their largest total in this country since 1995.

England’s deficit of 41 was wiped out by 76 from Ben Duckett and 51 by Ollie Pope, only for the match to swing again when both were dismissed in the space of eight Alzarri Joseph deliveries.

But Brook moved to 71* and Root 37* to leave England favourites to win the Test and the series.

Source: BBC

Can see England batting 2 sessions tomorrow and getting 400 lead and declaring or getting bowled out.

This sounds most likely to me.

West Indies will probably be chasing 350-400, they’ll have a small chance but England in this scenario would be favourites.

I was surprised when West Indies chose to field first. England are reportedly quite happy not to be batting last on this pitch, which has held together well but could now start to break up a bit.

England will do bazball today on day 4 and try to score something around 400+. They can score around 150+ in 1 session easily.

If windies can somehow get england all out for the next 150 runs, they would back themselves to chase 350 .

If windies can somehow get england all out for the next 150 runs, they would back themselves to chase 350 .

It starts to get into the realms of England being clear favourites if/when they get a 300 lead. I do think West Indies have an outside chance of chasing a 300-350 score though.

400 would probably be way too much and that’s what England need to aim for.

They can score around 150+ in 1 session easily.

I still haven’t quite come to terms with England’s scoring rate in English conditions. 416 on the first day. Yesterday they were more reserved with their shot play and had to absorb a lot of pressure, but even then they clipped along at 5 an over. Makes it so difficult for a bowling side to control the game.

I still haven’t quite come to terms with England’s scoring rate in English conditions. 416 on the first day. Yesterday they were more reserved with their shot play and had to absorb a lot of pressure, but even then they clipped along at 5 an over. Makes it so difficult for a bowling side to control the game.
Yes. Really. I don't like this bazball and flat track approach. Kills the fun of the test cricket. Want to see more tight cricket.

That’s kinda the point, no?

That’s kinda the point, no?
Exactly. It’s a compliment.

I am old. It used to be the case that scoring at 3.75 an over in a Test and getting 100 runs in a session was considered seriously rapid, particularly in the morning and afternoon sessions when the bowlers and fielders would still be fresh.

Slogathon was saved for the cigarette end of the day when bowlers were tired.

4-5 an over being the norm through the day from England still feels like minor madness.

But that is fine. It is impressive.

Flat pitches, Dukes ball of questionable quality is allowing this

Eng win or draw most likely outcomes now.

Surface very flat and WI pacers just haven't been disciplined enough.

England are a joke lol. Ball quality is rubbish. Cheating and chasing balls whenever there is no swing.

I guess flatties is what we will see when aus and India tour. Or is eng going to aus? Who cares. Whatever. We shall see.

I dont know why they dish out such flat pitches. Don't make it so unhelpful for bowlers. It's not a great look

England are a joke lol. Ball quality is rubbish. Cheating and chasing balls whenever there is no swing.

I guess flatties is what we will see when aus and India tour. Or is eng going to aus? Who cares. Whatever. We shall see.

I dont know why they dish out such flat pitches. Don't make it so unhelpful for bowlers. It's not a great look
Cheating? Think you need to stand that up.

With overcast conditions, England need to get another 100-120 and get bowling for the last session.

Root needs a 100.

Cheating? Think you need to stand that up.
Changing balls 5 times or even more?
Magically starts swinging right after.

Yea it is a form of cheating. Cunning cheats

Just losers and sycophants will never utter a word against them for some ungodly reason.

Sky Sports' Michael Atherton:

"England are still in the stronger position but West Indies are not out of it by any stretch.

"The rewards came later and I would think they would fancy anything around 350. It's a good pitch and it's not going to deteriorate.

"Who knows how Mark Wood will rock up with the cramps he's having?

"The West Indies have shown a lot of resilience in this session."

Windies will need the highest ever chase at this ground.

They will. It’s a flat pitch, but chases in the 4th innings are always difficult. England need another 80 runs and they are probably safe, although the beauty of Test cricket is that one never quite knows what is going to happen.

They will. It’s a flat pitch, but chases in the 4th innings are always difficult. England need another 80 runs and they are probably safe, although the beauty of Test cricket is that one never quite knows what is going to happen.
But the overcast conditions cause the ball nibble around. Several deliveries beat the edge. Given that WI doesn't adopt bazball they can collapse under pressure.

It's good to see Joe root score a century here. He hasn't had the best of time since this bazball approach.
I would love to see him break that Indian guy's most runs record.

Joe root is on the verge of 12000 test runs in just 12 years. Astonishing..

It's good to see Joe root score a century here. He hasn't had the best of time since this bazball approach.
I would love to see him break that Indian guy's most runs record.

For a guy who doesn't care about tests and thinks India's win over AUS away does not matter you are so invested in this test involving minnows :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
This is only 12th time a team has scored 400 plus in both innings of a Test. Early this year India scored against England.

For a guy who doesn't care about tests and thinks India's win over AUS away does not matter you are so invested in this test involving minnows :lol

Lol I m a passionate cricket fan I watch everything whether it's test or t20s. I can say this no one here watches cricket more than me.
I watch everything even t10 leagues LOL.
When did I say that India's win against Australia doesn't matter. Ofcourse it matters but it's not above any icc multinational tournament that's for sure, certainly for most Indian fans.
You can see how your countrymen celebrated that world cup win.
About that Indian guy.He is so hateable there's something about him LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trent bridge has always been like this flat.
Batsmen can breathe easy on Trent bridge pitch.

If West Indies chase this down , it will be extremely embarrassing for England .

It would take a remarkable West Indies performance to achieve this run chase, and everyone in England would take their hats off.

There have been many genuine embarrassments in the history of English cricket - this wouldn’t really feature. It would just go down as a classic match.

It would take a remarkable West Indies performance to achieve this run chase, and everyone in England would take their hats off.

There have been many genuine embarrassments in the history of English cricket - this wouldn’t really feature. It would just go down as a classic match.

It's a batting lineup where most guys average in the 30's even in first class cricket.

Stokes and McCullum will rightly take a lot of heat if that happens.

But the overcast conditions cause the ball nibble around. Several deliveries beat the edge. Given that WI doesn't adopt bazball they can collapse under pressure.
Or England will change balls once it doesn't swing as usual. Lime they did vs india in test 5 and in ashes.

Magically will swing after. But they will have the Gaul to criticise wasim waqar in the past for ball tampering lol when they are no better. Hypocritical much.

Just watch this time again. When it stops swinging they will smash the ball into the ground after every over to damage it, so the umpire can then change the ball. This new ball they receive won't be shown to the opponents either.

It's a batting lineup where most guys average in the 30's even in first class cricket.

Stokes and McCullum will rightly take a lot of heat if that happens.
West indies usually are always motivated vs the poms for some reason. I mean it's a pan cake. Like an odi pitch. Not impossible to score. Good teams would plunder runs here.

We are now used to Bazball but Braithwaite scoring at above 100 SR is unbelievable 😮

Variable bounce. Atkinson is the last bowler you want to face when the pitch is going like that.

Amazing that Wood is 34.5 yrs and still hitting speeds close to 94 mph

Back