England V India | 2nd Test Trent Bridge| [27/7/07]

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
looks like rain will delay the start to the 2nd test.

Intresting to see if india can up their performance from 1st test and
can england maintain there good performance in the 1st test.

probable teams:-

England: Andrew Strauss, Alastair Cook, Michael Vaughan (capt), Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Ian Bell, Matt Prior (wk), Chris Tremlett, Ryan Sidebottom, Monty Panesar, James Anderson.

India: Wasim Jaffer, Dinesh Karthik, Rahul Dravid (capt), Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman, Mahendra Dhoni (wk), Anil Kumble, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Sree Santh.

Umpires: Simon Taufel (AUS), Ian Howell (RSA). TV Umpire: Nigel Llong (ENG). Match referee: Ranjan Madugalle (SRI)

Start at 1200 BST is quite likely.

Bah. I was upset after we didnt win the last test, we didn't get the win we deserved and I doubt this inexperienced XI will play as good an all-round match as that for the rest of the series. Our full strength team would beat India in our own conditions easily if you ask me, but this is more like a mixture of the A, B and C teams and I'm not sure.

Don't worry Whippy, we'll dish it out to them again and this time luck wont be on their side!

If conditions had been dry id say that usually trent bridge pitches are found to be quite dry and abrasive and that may have suited the indians. However, with cloud cover about anderson/sidebum may cause problems again with natural swing and seam movement.

Amjid Javed said:
If conditions had been dry id say that usually trent bridge pitches are found to be quite dry and abrasive and that may have suited the indians. However, with cloud cover about anderson/sidebum may cause problems again with natural swing and seam movement.

Maybe we'll see Sachin trying to eat some grass again like he did against Asif......

69840.gif

Hash said:
Maybe we'll see Sachin trying to eat some grass again like he did against Asif......

69840.gif

Aslong as hes not smoking it am sure hes within the laws of the game!

Even thou there has been rain around id win toss and bat 1st. Weather forcast is good for next 5 days and i expect pitch to break up abit and help spinners later. I think monty on a day 5 wicket would be a handful. I think aslong as you get through 1st session without losing to many wickets then a big 1st inns total can be made on this ground.

Looks like no play till around about 2/3pm uk time i recon.. so about a 3/4 hour wait.

I dont understand why they dont have lunch at 12 and try to start at 1pm.

Hash said:

69840.gif

A very familiar picture.. Was it Mcgrath against M. Asif :16:

The last few tests at trent bridge between England and india have been high scoring affairs.

2002 - India 357 (sehwag 106) & 424/8 dec (Dravid 115, Sachin 92, ganguly 99) V england 617 (vaughan 197, c white 94*)

1996 - india 521 (sachin 177, ganguly 136) & 211 (sachin 74) v england 564 (atherton 160, hussain 107)

So could that trend continue??

Whippy said:
Start at 1200 BST is quite likely.

Bah. I was upset after we didnt win the last test, we didn't get the win we deserved and I doubt this inexperienced XI will play as good an all-round match as that for the rest of the series. Our full strength team would beat India in our own conditions easily if you ask me, but this is more like a mixture of the A, B and C teams and I'm not sure.

A full strength English team that beat the aussies in Ashes would turn this indian side into DUST :11:

India has won the toss and will bowl first. outfield is still wet

55 overs to be bowled today

Last edited:
This could either go really well for India, or really badly. They could get a few quick scalps if they bowl well, but if the ball gets too wet then taking a wicket will be impossible.

ball is swinging for Zaheer. At long off there a mat and saw dust as it is too wet and the boundry has been pulled in a little

boundry to Strauss. ball goes to the log off soggy part of the field

Poo. Someone needs to get in and get a ton here because in these conditions, a decent first innings total could win the match.

Pietersen out LBW off RP Singh
Eng 47-3
Hawkeye saying it would have just missed the top of the stumps.

Last edited:
Big shout for LBW against Cook off Sreesanth. commentators excited saying very close and unless there is an edge it looked out. Height maybe an issue as they look for things why it was not out.
Hawkeye saying just clipping top of leg stump

Not watching the match live, so what first innings total in these Trent Bridge conditions would be a very good total? 250/70 maybe? Or is it a better a batting strip then that? Thanks

Last edited:
right now ball is moving around (in air and off the pitch) so even first innings of 250 will be okay. but if there is no more rain and sun is out and pitch loses moisture tomorrow then who knows. 250 might still be fine

hmmm interesting, thanks 12th man

"In fact, excellent cricket from England since the fall of the third wicket"-Cricinfo

Good stuff from England then, they seem to have reconsolidated themselves, and a especially crucial knock for Collingwood, God knows the pressure he must have been under after that first test.

Last edited:
Dreadful last over before tea from Zaheer Khan, 14 runs off it. So at tea its a mini England recovery in progress with the score at 94/3. Cook on 35 and Collingwood on 25 runs respectively.

Last edited:
Mohsin_Pak786 said:
Dreadful last over before tea from Zaheer Khan, 14 runs off it. So at tea its a mini England recovery in progress with the score at 94/3. Cook on 35 and Collingwood on 25 runs respectively.

Zaheer's bowled pretty well overall, lost it somewhat in that last over.

Sreesanth's figures flatter him somewhat, he's bowled a few gooduns but generally been wayward.

India still in a good position though the momentum has shifted with England going into the break

Kumble has the most LBWs. commentators saying he is not a big spinner so he gets them. But he is doing something right. Even if a batsman is on front foot the umpire knows the ball is pretty much going straight

Last edited:
Ganguly is bowling so slowly that he gets to the batsman before the ball - Holding

for some reason Dhoni is standing back when the batsmen are standing two feet outside the crease and even moving forward. Gangluly started with 3 overs 3 maidens and Cook didn't look very comfortable

Not seen a ball as i've been out but it looks like tricky batting conditions. Cook looks like he's playing an anchor role and we need him to keep fighting.

Cook out LBW off Ganguly
Eng 109-5
Hawkeye saying it was going over the stumps

Shastri did say "let's just say that 8 out of 10 times the decision would have gone in batsman's favor". now what else do you want him to say. Gower didn't say it was not out either but they just say some politically correct things

Ganguly with 8 overs 11 runs 1 wicket

Last edited:
and SRT is swinging the ball but it is not fast enough and seems like he is mixing leg spin too. surprising thing is Dhoni is still standing back
Eng 128-5 after 42 overs
13 overs left today

Tremlett in who got a pair last test (debut). must be a good batsman if he is coming before Panesar

Tendulkar drops Tremlett at first slip.
Eng 154-6 after 49 overs
it is already 7 pm but 6 overs left

great day guys! Where are Hash, Amir, Easa and the gang?

go India!

Great day for India!, hopefully we can keep this up for the next 4 days.

well, wud love to see India win a test match here in england.... great performance by the indians... this time tendulkar,dravid,ganguly has to perform if india are gonna stay at this match.

indian well and truly on top, they got to get the tail out early tommrrow

Tupac said:

go India!
umm, don't know where you get the idea from but I never said I am supporting England.

Pitch has lots of grass on it so i hope our bowlers can do exactly the same as the Indian seamers. Sidebottom on his home pitch could be a problem if he gets it in the right areas.

Tupac said:

go India!

Where were you when India does badly!

India will probably be batting before lunch tomorrow. They are in a very good position right now and can't lose too many wickets (3 or more) by tea. This can be a similar match to Lords but opposite - India going for win and England trying to save it

Good day of play ... Must say - we had our share of luck just like England did in the first test until ofcourse the final close of play ;) ...

To begin with - Dravid winning the toss on a soggy day with cloudy conditions and a bit of moisture in the pitch was a huge boost ...

Collingwood was looking very good ... Unfortunate dismissal - to have dragged it back onto the stumps ...

Some might say Cook was unlucky to get out as well ... But he had a very close lbw shout earlier which was not given ... So that evens things I guess ...

I also heard on Sky sports that the conditions tomorrow are better for batting with the sun coming back on and no overnight rain ... Thats another advantage India have at the moment ...

England should declare now, rather than try to get the score past 200 because the morning session will give their bowlers the most opportunity with the moisture, whereas if they bat in the morning session then India will get to bat on sunny afternoon which means we can see India scoring 300+.

Things to notice. (concern for England)
England against Wets Indies consistently scored 500 +. Speaks of the WI bowling quality.
Against India in 3 innings, not been able to score 300.
Vaughan thrice in three innings dismissed by left armer round the wicket.
Cook lbw thrice in 3 innings (twice against Ganguly)
Strauss caught frist slip thrice in 3 innings.
Bell, twice in 3 innings chopped it on to the stumps.
Indian seamers have been more dangerous with Zaheer moving it both ways.
I remember pak was not able to dismiss Cook, Bell, Colly in 2006. Somehow this combination is not clicking against India. Is it quality of bowling, poor batting form, helpful tracks or what.
England can hope for another Indian big three failiure to stay in this.

Tupac said:

go India!

Well I have a life and can't spend all day every day on Pakpassion, unlike you. Yesterday evening I was at a hostel with some friends listening to music and enjoying the ahem ahem underground side of Pakistan.

Anyway........let's hope we can get to 200, anything more than 200 will be a bonus at this stage. India got away with murder in the 1st Test and lady luck was smiling on them. Let's hope it doesn't happen here......220 will be enough.

Monty gone, caught at second slip by Laxman; he makes it look so easy with his catches. Zaheer has now picked up 4 wickets.

195/9

EDIT: got the left handers confused, Panesar departs :)

Last edited:
England bowled out for 198; Anderson's off stump goes for a walk, Kumble gets the wicket.

Karthik is scoring runs but is living very dangerously against the swing of Anderson and Sidebottom..

18/0

Bilal Shafayat on the field as a substitute fielder..

34/0

40/0 and its lunch. Great session for India, the openers have managed to see of the new ball successfully and hide the main batsman from the swing of Anderson and Sidebottom. Well done.

Hash said:
Well I have a life and can't spend all day every day on Pakpassion, unlike you. Yesterday evening I was at a hostel with some friends listening to music and enjoying the ahem ahem underground side of Pakistan.

Anyway........let's hope we can get to 200, anything more than 200 will be a bonus at this stage. India got away with murder in the 1st Test and lady luck was smiling on them. Let's hope it doesn't happen here......220 will be enough.

LOL well u seemed to be glued to PP whenever India's doing badly.

Good job boys! good session...let's get that stand past 100!

Easa said:
umm, don't know where you get the idea from but I never said I am supporting England.

sorry buddy...maybe from the nature of your posts in general I was led to believe you were anti-Indian and therefore supporting English.

India on top. England were unlucky with many balls going past the outside edge.

They need to strike straight after lunch.

Tupac said:
sorry buddy...maybe from the nature of your posts in general I was led to believe you were anti-Indian and therefore supporting English.
I don't like either teams.. I'm just looking to watch some good cricket live and watch some of my favorite players (Pietersen, Karthik, Dravid, etc) and booing the ones that I don't like :D

Kartik and Jafer are poor...the middle order presents the biggest challenge. Our bowling has not been bad at all, the only thing missing is a few wickets, and when a team bowls well over a long period that changes eventually. Not worried yet.

You could bowl a side out for 80 on this pitch if you got everything right, so 190 is below par but not beyond hope.

India: 68/0 (23.1 Ovs)

D Karthik 35(74)
W Jaffer 28(65)

23.1 Tremlett to Jaffer, FOUR!!, fuller length delivery outside the off stump, Jaffer leans into the shot and drives it between extra cover and long off for four, glorious shot, that is as good a shot as you would get to see on the cricket field!!! shot of the day for me, what say!!!

Back