England v Pakistan | 1st Test | Old Trafford, Manchester | 5-9 August, 2020 | Day 1 Thread

I’m surprised England have utilized the short ball so poorly against Shan

I want to Shan Masood hook a short ball of Archer to the boundary.

Was thinking the same post lunch. He was pretty good against Rabada and in Aus as well against short balls.

Looks like this pitch is very good for batting from day 2-4. We really need to score above 450. England has very strong batting line up.

Babar’s last 35 is scored probably at run a ball.

Bess is learning the hard way. Miss your line or length at this level especially to good spin playing batsmen from the SC and you will get punished.

Babar Azam the lion of Pakistan.

Never thought we would have another superstar so soon again.

Will be the face of Pakistan cricket this era.

Pakistan will cross the 300 mark in 1st innings and will make around 350..
What is your prediction?

Bess is learning the hard way. Miss your line or length at this level especially to good spin playing batsmen from the SC and you will get punished.

It’s England’s fault. This guy is a kid bowling normal off spin. He needs a lot more experience

Starting to think 2 spinners could be a masterstroke here..
Just need to get a decent total first innings

Dropped that by buttler, shan needs to tighten up.

Stunning stuff from Babar, get that half century!

Shan masood has faced 131 deliveries.
Needs to keep going. Should Play the supporting role and let others bat around himself from here on.

Really impressed with Shan today, he's realized that he just needs to hang around as long as Babar as there and the runs will take care of themselves. He's gotten a bit of luck but he's honestly deserved it. Babar looks incredible after a nervy start, I think he would be disappointed if he didn't go on to make a 100 here/

Shan needs to develop the sweep shot to combat spinners, his technique will never be able to combat them otherwise, look at khawaja and hayden as an example.

Mazher Arshad (@MazherArshad) Tweeted:
Pakistan openers have NOT put a 50 runs partnership against England in England in 33 innings and 24 years. Last opening pair to do it was Saeed Anwar and Aamir Sohail (106 runs) at The Oval in 1996. #EngvPak https://twitter.com/MazherArshad/status/1290967883552559104?s=20

Last edited:
Ba-ees corore awaam mein se aek hi batsman mila hai. :inzi2

I hope Babar has a LONG career. He is our only hope.

Test Match Special on BBC Radio just observed that Pakistan have three Number Elevens in the team!

Shan needs to develop the sweep shot to combat spinners, his technique will never be able to combat them otherwise, look at khawaja and hayden as an example.

Looks a bit lost against spin here. Just needs to hang in and keep trying to rotate the strike.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.... Babar showing Bess his auqaat.

It’s Manchester, so it’s cloudy, but this is a very very dry pitch.

Having two leggies could actually work in the fourth innings.

Masood be like...
All season been practicing fast bowlers, now am I having to face the spinners as well. He will get better with time against bess.

This is why Babar is an elite player. Look at his strike rate. And guys like Azhar Ali, Pujara, Elgar will never make the transition to greatness. Pujara is head and shoulders above Azhar and Elgar but he never takes the game by the scruff of the neck.

Need another player of the calibre of Babar at number 3 or 5 to make a formidable batting lineup.

Babar V Archer will be a very good battle for many years I think.

Ba-ees corore awaam mein se aek hi batsman mila hai. :inzi2

I hope Babar has a LONG career. He is our only hope.

Misbah kept him out for nearly two years. Now he's not giving opportunity to other youngsters in order to keep playing the likes Azhar and Shafiq.

Back