England v Pakistan | 1st Test | Old Trafford, Manchester | 5-9 August, 2020 | Day 1 Thread

Archer has been more accurate than what I thought.

Saw Azhar's review. Seriously he is becoming the next Kohli and Watson in terms of reviews. Absurd

Can't blame Azhar, poor guy's knees have gone. Blame should entirely be on Misbah.

Missing Faheem Ashraf right now. He could have been sent as pinch-hitter right now and could have smashed daylights out of this bowling attack.:maqsood

Yes bro but, as I said I was referring to Babar onwards as the middle order. No 3 falls more under top order in test in my opinion, it was definitely disappointing stuff from Azhar. Him contributing something would have been good and to be honest I was expecting much better than a duck.

Yea a 30 or 40 from Azhar is the most we can expect from him at this stage of his career.

Now he’s gone for a duck and the whole batting especially Shan and Babar are under pressure.

England are bowling with their tails up here

Missing Faheem Ashraf right now. He could have been sent as pinch-hitter right now and could have smashed daylights out of this bowling attack.:maqsood

Not sure what planet you're living on.

Pakistani formula " larka bigar raha hai shadi ker do sudhar jayega"

"Larkay se batting nahin ho rahi captain bana do"

Shan’s head is falling down a bit when ball is pitched around leg. Hopefully he sorts it out during the innings as he can get some runs on the legside.

Shan with his limited ability is a guy who has worked hard and showing his grit here. Hopefully he can go on and get a big score.

Yea a 30 or 40 from Azhar is the most we can expect from him at this stage of his career.

Now he’s gone for a duck and the whole batting especially Shan and Babar are under pressure.

England are bowling with their tails up here

Yes relentless accuracy from England so far. Other than Abid’s legside 4, havent seen a single convincing boundary yet. Tough bowling attack and overcast conditions, not easy.

She wanted to school him over the remaining 2 tests about Ibiza and party life and he was all like I'm done with that. It was just awkward how she kept asking him how he wakes up at 5am everday

Thanks for the info.

Who is she and who is him?

Pakistan has an advantage , we have a long experience of playing in front of empty stands.

I think, Anderson’s second spell will be tougher; he was moving it too much with new ball.
Yea and there is a bit of seam movement now. Archer got Abid with an in-dipper.

Jimmy could be tough if he hits the seam he’ll move it both ways. Shan especially will struggle with that.

Commies talking about 350 could be ideal. Well we hope so Pak can get there. :dw

Shame 2 wickets are down for only 50 runs, need at least 300 here.

Shan has been really impressive since that S.A tour. We bring Imam for Azhar and Haris for Shafiq and this lineup is quality

Shan has been really impressive since that S.A tour. We bring Imam for Azhar and Haris for Shafiq and this lineup is quality

Indeed.

Imam isn’t that bad.

Haris is a quality bat. Will miss him for sure on this tour!

Woakes is like a GOAT bowler vs Pakistan, need to be careful against him.

Who would be an ideal captain for Pakistan outside Azar and Babar ?

Babar in my view should focus on the batting for now

As expected, series already hinging on Babar.

I'd call it honours just about even but leaning a little more towards England, decent opening session for both teams

May be still an even session since Babar is still there. PAK must not go to Tea 5 down now.

Well I wished for only 2 wickets down in 20 overs and Pak provided that. Lets hope next 2 wickets gets us atleast 100 more runs.

Should be shadab khan :)). But I think they'll go with shan masood, becuase of the superficial stuff like he is the only one who speaks English properly

Shan Masood can be a candidate but, I think PCB is probably ready to give it to Babar post Azhar. Asad has a decent cricketing mind but is 32-33 and is not really going upward as a batsman.

I'd call it honours just about even but leaning a little more towards England, decent opening session for both teams

Yeah Eng for me, two wickets in first session swings it.

Lunch - Day 1: Pakistan chose to bat

PAK 53/2 (25.0) - CRR: 2.12

Shan Masood - 27* (80)
Abid Ali - 16 (37)
Azhar Ali - 0 (6)
Babar Azam - 4* (27)

Min. Overs Remaining: 65.0

May be still an even session since Babar is still there. PAK must not go to Tea 5 down now.

Babar is getting squared up, looking tough day for batting out there.

Time for Shan to do something impactful, more than these 40s and 50s.

Last 10 innings for Azhar Ali outside Asia: 0, 2, 6, 0, 15, 39, 5, 9, 9, 0
It’s just Father Time.

All of the Test batsmen who are Azhar Ali’s age were dropped or retired years ago. Ross Taylor is the only other one left, and he’s in major decline too.

Azhar Ali’s last 10 innings outside Asia:
10 Innings
85 runs
Average 8.50

This isn’t loss of form. It’s loss of ability.

Another session with loss of max one wicket .... will look good for us. doesnt matter what the score.
weather tomorrow will be critical ...

who is this new interview lady alongside Nasser ? Ex Womens cricketer I presume

No excuses for Pak if they lose this. :)

What u talking about. England are battle hardened. Pak are not.
They are doing in line with my expectations which were generally happy with the team, just need Azhar Ali and Yasir Shah to step up which I'm not sure will happen!

It’s just Father Time.

All of the Test batsmen who are Azhar Ali’s age were dropped or retired years ago. Ross Taylor is the only other one left, and he’s in major decline too.

Azhar Ali’s last 10 innings outside Asia:
10 Innings
85 runs
Average 8.50

This isn’t loss of form. It’s loss of ability.

Misbah's fault

The sky commie team I love it, diverse, versatile and to the point, everyone brings something to the table

Well I wished for only 2 wickets down in 20 overs and Pak provided that. Lets hope next 2 wickets gets us atleast 100 more runs.

Can't afford that. The tail is long. By the time 4 wickets are down we need to have at least 220-250 runs. Shan and Babar gotta play longgg.

We made Azhar captain when he was finished as a player and I am not sure why we are playing with two leg spinners as both have become terrible bowlers, but can bat a bit.

If 300 is the aim under current situation. Then we need at least 250, before Shadab and Yasir come.

It feels good to see someone like Wasim Khan represent Pakistan cricket.

Can't afford that. The tail is long. By the time 4 wickets are down we need to have at least 220-250 runs. Shan and Babar gotta play longgg.
Yea need a big partnership from these two. Hopefully they can play out the whole 2nd session.

Babar is getting squared up, looking tough day for batting out there.
Nasser has picked this up. He showed thats why he chases the ball outside stumps. Lets hope he can just stay a bit more side on. This is why it is very difficuly to bat in eng. Every move is being deeply analysed.

Can someone summarise Wasim Khan's comments ? I cannot log onto a stream at the moment.

According to cricinfo ... it is always our middle order who scores runs in england. and also eng record against openers mean our team is by par with any other team ........ I just dont know if babar can pull off a yousuf ...

Englands session the 1st one, our batsmen need to be positive for rest of this days play.

Can someone summarise Wasim Khan's comments ? I cannot log onto a stream at the moment.

Cricket with India unlikely at this point until current Gorment in India remains, good relationship with BCCI but they need permission to play us and we need to focus on playing other teams.

We made sure the safety of players was the priority before agreeing the tour of England and thus far we are content / happy with all the facilities provided, it has been tough at times in Isolation as the WI's found but anything we require is a call away. No issue touring England, it's about solidarity and helping with the return of Cricket, a sport which relies heavily on monies.

There was no arrangement to agree with the ECB to tour Pakistan as part of our agreement to play cricket in England this summer, while England are due to tour in 2022, am hoping they agree to tour earlier. Terrorists are everywhere but we've had great success with the return of Test Cricket and the PSL in Pakistan, the word of your Jason Roys and Watsons will atest to their positive experiences, Athers chimes in and agrees how normal life is in Pakistan and some of the difficulties they had faced with no cricket at home or lucrative tours with neighbours etc

To sign of he talks about the British Asian Trust and how it is helping those in poverty, specifically Pakistan and the difficulties people have faced during Covid 19.

That's about the most I recall :yk he spoke well

Atlast some sunshine, hopefully will become slightly easier.

We're lucky Broad and Anderson havent hit the stumps enough with their line. Woakes did that straight away and a wicket fell in no time.

Back