England v Pakistan | 1st Test | Old Trafford, Manchester | 5-9 August, 2020 | Day 1 Thread

Broad and Anderson down on speed today?

Or did they always bowl around 130-140kph?

Openers have done their job well. Ideally one of them should score 50 plus, they have already brought middle order of Pakistan into play.
That would make sense if Pakistan had a good #3

But with an old Azhar Ali at that position, Pak. need a big opening partnership here. Hopefully 50+ at least.

Abid is trying way too hard.Opening is very difficult in these conditions.

Never heard of a batsmen 'trying way too hard', logic would determine that most and in particular subcontinent batsmen would need to try as hard as possible in such conditions and against such a bowling attack

Good comments by Holding - if you have 4 great fast bowlers, why would you leave one out to play a spinner? According to him, it's a game of cricket, not trapeze.

Same logic - if you have a Warne in your attack, why would you not play him even if it is a seaming pitch with overcast conditions predicted throughout the 5 days.

Never heard of a batsmen 'trying way too hard', logic would determine that most and in particular subcontinent batsmen would need to try as hard as possible in such conditions and against such a bowling attack

What I meant was he is looking nervous and thinking too much.He should take it easy.

Solid start from the openers . Their will always be plays and misses and some tentativeness. It’s test cricket and they are fantastic bowlers .

Shan has definitely improved from last time . Fair play to him . Now needs to translate it into a good series .

Such heavy rain just came and gone in a second.

That would make sense if Pakistan had a good #3

But with an old Azhar Ali at that position, Pak. need a big opening partnership here. Hopefully 50+ at least.

I was mainly referring to Babar and onwards. I considered no 3 in tests somewhat part of the top order.

Not uncommon in international cricket to be honest. I think all players have some natural tendencies, its about how you manage your game around them.

Yeah Kohli plays with low hands as well.

I'll never understand why we have commentators who haven't played intl. cricket.

Have the Pak openers hit any boundaries so far I can't remember it despite watching live might have fallen asleep a few times :yk

I want to see 4's, 6's and wickets dammit :akmal

Very good start by the openers. The ball is moving, there is pace in the pitch, its cloudy. The batsmen have not been committing to shots which is why they have survived

Archer with his bouncers. Guy has a lot of skills but I think needs to be more aware of how to use them to set the batsman and be relentless. One of the reasons Naseem and Shaheen really impress me is that they somewhat understand the art of bowling at such a young age.

So far so good, well played by the openers. But the surface looks a much better one than typical English track, Babar should enjoy batting here against old ball

Very good 1st hour by Pakistani openers & at a decent rate as well.

Have the Pak openers hit any boundaries so far I can't remember it despite watching live might have fallen asleep a few times :yk

I want to see 4's, 6's and wickets dammit :akmal

Abid scored a boundary off his legs. the other 3 4s I saw were all edges/flukes

The zip in this pitch will be loved by Naseem as well.

Woakes accuracy is one of the best around.

Looks like Younis Khan threatened the openers with his knife to see out the opening overs :yk

Good setup by Archer. I think Abid did a decent job seeing of the new ball under clouds.

I have never seen this Abid bloke before, he looks very ancient. Jofra simply too good

Jaffa. Abid Ali committed early and is gone.

Wrong timing for the wicket for Pakistan.

Azhar is a sitting duck against Archer tbh.

Hope he does well but I have no expectations from him.

That was too good for Abid, but not the worst effort from him, now upto Captain Failure.

Excellent bowling change and bowling from Jofra, not afraid to ball short with the new cherry, excellent aggression. Welcome to the Test Cricket Paaaakistan!

His technique isn't designed for English conditions. Plays very low with low hands

Yes seems most effective for wickets like the Oval but even there bowlers get lift, its a bouncy track. Abid is probably must more suited to dead tracks

Pak practiced for rain quite a lot in the last warm up match.

So far so good, well played by the openers. But the surface looks a much better one than typical English track, Babar should enjoy batting here against old ball

Hoping that Babar will score a big hundred.

Back