England v Pakistan | 1st Test | Old Trafford, Manchester | 5-9 August, 2020 | Day 1 Thread

Not a bad start by Pakistan despite the wicket of Abid. Azhar needs to step up today.

Day 1: Pakistan chose to bat (Match delayed by rain)

PAK 36/1 (15.4) - CRR: 2.29

Shan Masood 15* (54)
Abid Ali 16 (37)
Azhar Ali 0* (3)

Min. Overs Remaining: 74.2

Abid Ali got done with the two bouncers in the previous over. He was well set-up by Archer. I just hope the rest of the team plays bouncers well because the pitch suits Archer and he is the main threat in the first innings. Playing bouncers well includes cleaning your memory for the next delivery and staying on front-foot. Not easy but I just hope they manage it better.

Fill me in

She wanted to school him over the remaining 2 tests about Ibiza and party life and he was all like I'm done with that. It was just awkward how she kept asking him how he wakes up at 5am everday

Warne rightly saying that Eng has already played vs WI, Pak will get better as the match and series progress. Also saying Pak could win if Azhar and Babar score runs.

Abid Ali got done with the two bouncers in the previous over. He was well set-up by Archer. I just hope the rest of the team plays bouncers well because the pitch suits Archer and he is the main threat in the first innings. Playing bouncers well includes cleaning your memory for the next delivery and staying on front-foot. Not easy but I just hope they manage it better.

He played the bouncers themselves well, but he lost the mental battle, and got intimidated and didn't move his front foot, as you said. They've got to maintain a positive mindset throughout, can't just focus on barely surviving or you will get caught on the crease like Abid.

Imo abid lost the battle too quickly, he needs to trust his instincts more. Two short balls and you are already expecting every ball to be a short ball.

In the next overs, let's see what is the first delivery and the last delivery by Archer in an over. The first could be a fuller one and the last one to be shorter one. Let's find the trend. :p

Whats up with Nasir having cartoonish guy on his blazer? Something symbolic maybe.

Shan should get a 100...he is always played good in fast bowling conditions but never gets the big score.

True, have looked really good in all the overseas conditions recently. Needs to convert the starts to make them count, was able to do that at home.

Pak just needs to follow England’s batting chart in the last two tests. Should take their sweet time without worrying about scoring rate.

Azhar so confidently took the review like he had an edge. It was the bat hitting the pad unfortunately.

In current form and confidence. Azhar Ali is the weakest batsman in the squad.

Like I said, it's Babar or bust. Maybe if Shan and Rizwan chip in too we set competitive totals.

But expect nothing from Azhar and Shafiq.

What a horrible review from Azhar. Embarrassing cricket all round from him.

Everything depends on Babar here. I hope he doesn’t feel the burden of being the back bone. :(

She wanted to school him over the remaining 2 tests about Ibiza and party life and he was all like I'm done with that. It was just awkward how she kept asking him how he wakes up at 5am everday

that was really cringey

That was a beauty to Babar from Woakes. Lucky that it missed the off stump

Should be dropped before second innings ..... more than the score for this review.

Pak just needs to follow England’s batting chart in the last two tests. Should take their sweet time without worrying about scoring rate.

Spot on — the key to Test cricket and especially in England. It will get easier but you have to stick around to be able to benefit

Anderson, Broad and Woakes all 3 can literally move it both ways in these conditions.

I think, Anderson’s second spell will be tougher; he was moving it too much with new ball.

That was clear it qas not hit by azhar, insteading of askign shan he blindly went for the review. That should be an instant drop.

Somebody really needs to work with Azhar. While it is true that his reflexes are not like before, but I do not believe he is finished. He has been making the same mistake in the last few years. He always loses his balance and goes towards leg and then gets bowled or lbw. This is the reason he misses straight deliveries and makes everyone think he is done and dusted. If someone corrects this technical glitch, I would want to see him bat and then decide should he just retire or should he play.

Last edited:
That was clear it qas not hit by azhar, insteading of askign shan he blindly went for the review. That should be an instant drop.

Hit his pad and got confused. Should have done better.

We should’ve played an extra batsman here...

Our batting is simply not good enough.

Azhar should really shift down the order. 4 at the highest.

That would make sense if Pakistan had a good #3

But with an old Azhar Ali at that position, Pak. need a big opening partnership here. Hopefully 50+ at least.

[MENTION=142432]Titan24[/MENTION] What did I tell you bro...

Azhar Ali had the same problem in 2016. Getting Lbw in the first few games . He then worked on it and ended the series strongly scoring a ton .
But the same problem has creeped in again which is just simply not good enough.

They went very quickly trough the review , it looked like to me that Azhar had feeling that he hit ball. And also it looked like it was hit simultaneously against bat and pad.

I could be wrong , they had only shown the review once . It seemed like the ball was squeezed between the bat and pad diffecult to tell if the ball hit the pad first on that evidence.

Azhar Ali had the same problem in 2016. Getting Lbw in the first few games . He then worked on it and ended the series strongly scoring a ton .
But the same problem has creeped in again which is just simply not good enough.

Failed in 2018 too

[MENTION=142432]Titan24[/MENTION] What did I tell you bro...

Yes bro but, as I said I was referring to Babar onwards as the middle order. No 3 falls more under top order in test in my opinion, it was definitely disappointing stuff from Azhar. Him contributing something would have been good and to be honest I was expecting much better than a duck.

Azhar and Asad are liabilities honestly. We should look to replace them.

Back