England v Pakistan | 2nd T20I | Birmingham | May 25 | Pre-Match Discussion

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The first T20I between England and Pakistan was called off before the scheduled start time due to heavy, persistent rain that soaked Leeds for most of the day. Puddles had already begun forming on the ground well before the umpires made their initial inspection, and it didn't take long for them to decide there was no point in delaying the inevitable.

With the deadline for T20 World Cup squad announcements on Saturday – the day of the second T20I in Birmingham – this match was effectively the final opportunity for both sides to give their players a run-out before finalizing their squads. The rain means England missed their only realistic chance to see the returning Jofra Archer in action before the deadline. Although they will be allowed to make injury-related changes after the May 25 deadline, they will have to make an initial decision on his inclusion without the advantage of watching him in a competitive match.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Warning:

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Still don’t know how they get Usman Khan into the XI without dropping Saim or Fakhar.

Rizwan and Babar should not be playing in the same XI, it forces the middle order to play without having enough balls to get set.

Mohammad Rizwan
Saim Ayub
Babar Azam
Fakhar Zaman
Usman Khan
Azam Khan
Ifthikar Ahmed / Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan / Abrar Ahmed
Shaheen Afridi
Naseem Shah
Mohammad Amir

England would have an upper hand here with archer in their arsenal. Would be interesting to see how Pakistan batters cope with him.

Still don’t know how they get Usman Khan into the XI without dropping Saim or Fakhar.

Rizwan and Babar should not be playing in the same XI, it forces the middle order to play without having enough balls to get set.

Mohammad Rizwan
Saim Ayub
Babar Azam
Fakhar Zaman
Usman Khan
Azam Khan
Shaheen Afridi
Naseem Shah
Mohammad Amir
Pakistan's avg batting first with this unit

169-171 of 5

Wow azam Khan and imad of they bat at no 6 and 7 make a massive massive difference.

Previous calculations were with shadab at 5 and chacha at 6.

Previous calculations was 163 of 6

New calculations is 169-171 of 5, Huge improvement.

@Rana @emranabbas @topspin

It's still far behind even Australia 186 of 5 when their half strength and not even full though.

169-171 of 5

Wow azam Khan and imad of they bat at no 6 and 7 make a massive massive difference.

It's still far behind even Australia 186 of 5 when their half strength and not even full though.
If you swap Rizwan with Harris, you have a proper team

169-171 of 5

Ideally this should be the batting line up with the squad with have

Saim
Fakhar
Babar
Usman
Imad
Azam
Shadab
Shaheen
Amir
Naseem
Abrar

There is really no place for both babar and rizwan in yhe team one of them have to go

Mohammad Rizwan
Saim Ayub
Babar Azam
Fakhar Zaman
Usman Khan
Azam Khan
Shaheen Afridi
Naseem Shah
Mohammad Amir
Personally my team would be:

1. Saim Ayub
2. Fakhar
3. Babar (unfortunately cannot see them removing him)
4. Usman Khan
5. Azam Khan
6. Imad Wasim
7. Shadab
8. Naseem
9. Shaheen
10. Amir
11. Abrar

Long tail maybe but this is a t20 - you should not be looking to bat till 11, but you give yourself good bowling options.

This is the best team I can come up with for the modern game. If people don’t like it, oh what a shame.

Personally my team would be:

1. Saim Ayub
2. Fakhar
3. Babar (unfortunately cannot see them removing him)
4. Usman Khan
5. Azam Khan
6. Imad Wasim
7. Shadab
8. Naseem
9. Shaheen
10. Amir
11. Abrar

Long tail maybe but this is a t20 - you should not be looking to bat till 11, but you give yourself good bowling options.

This is the best team I can come up with for the modern game. If people don’t like it, oh what a shame.
Wow your line up exactly like mine 💯

Saim
Fakhar
Babar
Usman
Imad
Azam
Shadab
Shaheen
Amir
Naseem
Abrar

There is really no place for both babar and rizwan in yhe team one of them have to go
With this lineup you have 159 for 8 batting first. Just letting you know. It's a decrease.

You can make a proper Pakistan XI if you just remove Rizwan

That’s all it takes
Nobody use accumulators anymore. There was a reason why t20 was created. If anyone wants to see babar and rizwans classy shots they need to stop watching t20 ans take babar long with them to tests and odis

Why and how it decreases
Saim and fakhar stats so far have been poor due to career avg so they'll fall extremly early most of the time and fakhar doesn't utilise the PP, he makes up fir it later on so you need ti bank on him Surviving the PP for a monster score.

With saim and fakhar usually you would get 38 of 28.

Babar doesn't speed things up and overs 7-15 he's a snail and usually would get out before he reaches over 16-20, so once again your banking in the dark.

Usman khan at opening would amp you up all the way to 175-180, but at no 4 he pushes you further down due to being poor and would quickly be a walking wicket as well.

Imad is good, but due to wickets falling you're also risking azam coming in too early and he's yet to increase his avg although its increasing day by day and sr is at 156 so the numbers can change.

Nobody use accumulators anymore. There was a reason why t20 was created. If anyone wants to see babar and rizwans classy shots they need to stop watching t20 ans take babar long with them to tests and odis
Rizwan’s classy shots?

Guy only has one shot on the leg.

He’s an ok sweeper. Overall, the guy is an ugly batsman.

Babar is ok to watch but it is painful to see him not showing any serious intent to go hard and over the inner circle.

There are far more aggressive batsmen in the world who play with intent and have way more class and elegance than Babar does. Heinrich Klaasen, Travis Head, David Warner, Quinton DeQock, Aiden Markram for example…these guys get the adrenaline rushing of fans through their stroke play which has a touch of violence attached with elegance

Saim and fakhar stats so far have been poor due to career avg so they'll fall extremly early most of the time and fakhar doesn't utilise the PP, he makes up fir it later on so you need ti bank on him Surviving the PP for a monster score.

With saim and fakhar usually you would get 38 of 28.

Babar doesn't speed things up and overs 7-15 he's a snail and usually would get out before he reaches over 16-20, so once again your banking in the dark.

Usman khan at opening would amp you up all the way to 175-180, but at no 4 he pushes you further down due to being poor and would quickly be a walking wicket as well.

Imad is good, but due to wickets falling you're also risking azam coming in too early and he's yet to increase his avg although its increasing day by day and sr is at 156 so the numbers can change.
Usman khan and sharjeel opening amp the team avg up to 180 @Rana

180 for 5 assuming babar comes at 3, Haris/ Fakhar at 4, azam, imad come next.

Collectively they make 60 of the first 6.5

Fakhar Zaman and Sharjeel opening for Pakistan would be like Ronaldo and Adriano both up front for Brazil

I have to agree with @Rana

Even the most die hard rizzu fans wouldn't call rizwan a classy player. Dude is an ugly bat featuring 5 shots. The inside out drive, The pull jab( yes its a jab not a pull shot), sweep, legside slog where he takes 2 steps to the right before slogging, and hoicking.

As for Bobby, he's not class. He has a class cover drive, He's extremly ugly to watch vs spin since besides the pull shot he has zero backfoot strokes? Gets stuck in front foot.

Beyond that his pull shot, aren't really special. Saud shakeel is way more classy then he is, so was haris sohail etc, Babar is pretty orthodox, has a decent block, defends well and plays a cover drive and that's kinda it. He's not a natural six hitter as most of the hits are blind slogs and he isn't great at using his feet by coming down the crease. In terms of singles beyond knocking, he just has one guide to 3rd shot for a single.

Very very orthodox and text book, nothing classy beyond the cover drive.

I have to agree with @Rana

Even the most die hard rizzu fans wouldn't call rizwan a classy player. Dude is an ugly bat featuring 5 shots. The inside out drive, The pull jab( yes its a jab not a pull shot), sweep, legside slog where he takes 2 steps to the right before slogging, and hoicking.

As for Bobby, he's not class. He has a class cover drive, He's extremly ugly to watch vs spin since besides the pull shot he has zero backfoot strokes? Gets stuck in front foot.

Beyond that his pull shot, aren't really special. Saud shakeel is way more classy then he is, so was haris sohail etc, Babar is pretty orthodox, has a decent block, defends well and plays a cover drive and that's kinda it. He's not a natural six hitter as most of the hits are blind slogs and he isn't great at using his feet by coming down the crease. In terms of singles beyond knocking, he just has one guide to 3rd shot for a single.

Very very orthodox and text book, nothing classy beyond the cover drive.
Kusal Mendis is also beautiful to watch when he’s on song

Should try Usman. Saim bowling won’t be used by Babar in many situations and by the time we go to West Indies it could be somehow Saim can be included in case Imad or Shadab can’t play.

Usman
Rizwan
Babar
Fakhar
Azam
Ifitkhar
Imad
Shadab
Shaheen
Rauf
Amir

CT trophy winning ground, I’d say will assist spinners to a bit so play three pacers.

We try Usman in the PP with Rizwan. Strong batting with capable tail too.

Bowl first and chase the total!

I'm coming to terms with Fakhar coming at 4. Yes he would rather open but we need to utilize the PP and I don't see Fakhar doing that. Saim and Usman are the ideal openers who would slog and get out early, but make runs quick, and get out early enough for Fakhar to come soon and get a bat in. If one or both of the openers keep playing however, and Fakhar doesn't get a chance or has to play a finisher role near the end, I don't even mind that. Because Usman or Saim taking the innings deep works too. Babar should not go above or below 3. If Usman was given enough playing time by now and groomed properly, or even Haris for that matter as a backup, our top 4 could have been one of the best of the tournament, if not the best. They have the potential, just not a management with brains.

I would still like to see that in this series though. Saim, Usman, Babar, Fakhar, Imad, Shadab, Azam (at 7 unless finishing innings time), Abrar, Shaheen, Amir, Rauf

Pakistan know what they get with Rizwan, I pray that Kirsten has the mind to convince them to think outside the box (not really but yes really for their brains) to try a combination without Rizwan. Just please. The lineup looks so dynamic without him

I don't think much changes will be made from the last game they played against Ireland.
Riz
saim
babar
fakhar
iffi
azam
imad
shaheen
amir
naseem
abbas

is the team for the next game I think

Does Rizwan playing purely as a batsmen & Azam as keeper make sense ? Are you guys really that impressed with Azam's keeping ?

Does Rizwan playing purely as a batsmen & Azam as keeper make sense ? Are you guys really that impressed with Azam's keeping ?
It's not about Azam being a better keeper. The margin of error is greater when Azam is fielding, and he could be a liability, but he is decent with the gloves and can get the job done without causing much damage. Additionally, Rizwan is proving to be quite effective and electrifying in the field, making some great catches and stops.

I want Babar to sit this one out.

1. Usman
2. Saim
3. Rizwan (cpt)
4. Shadab
5. Agha
6. Azam
7. Iftikhar
8. Imad
9. Shaheen
10. Amir
11. Abbas/Naseem

Fakhar should be rested as well and see how it goes with Agha in the middle overs.

The 5th bowler quota should be distributed between Shadab, Saim, Agha and Iftikhar.

Let's see what it's like with a different captain.

It will probably be rained off too. Good thing that the FA Cup and Scottish cup final's can't be rained off so I'll just watch them :p This is why Football rocks, 10/10 times the match will be played.

Collectively they make 60 of the first 6.5
Collectively whole team be out for 60 more like with 10 overs still to play. Lol.

He has been nothing short of horrible behind the stumps and batting wise less said the better, few 6s when the target was well within grasp does not change that fact.

In Birmingham, Pakistan will have massive support, so I guess Pakistan will play well and start the series with a win.

In Birmingham, Pakistan will have massive support, so I guess Pakistan will play well and start the series with a win.

No THEY DO NOT, anymore.

As long as Babar and Riswan are there, we will protest.

If Riswan is picked for this match, am going to hold a mini vigil outside Edgbaston cricket ground for the death of Pakistan Cricket.

A very brief agenda:

1) I will bring my local imam to expose Fraudwan and just say a few words about the difference between a 180 total and 180 strike rate

2) Just next to the ground there’s cannon hill park with a giant screen, here we will cover the depths of Misbah Ul Haq’s Shathani:

- We will start with his 07 T20 final knock, his 2011 WC semi knock, there will be exclusive footage of him interviewing Mickey Arthur just before his take over as coach.

- We will show you the vice grip he has on Pakistani players, and the chalice from which they are forced to drink something weird before they are ‘blessed’ to either bat in the top order or suddenly develop an overnight ability to play spin

3) Finally, Mo. Harris (our special guest) will walk us back to the ground, and will demonstrate his 360 ability by performing a variety of strokes on cardboard cut outs of Booobar, Fraudwan and Misbah Ul Haq; because that’s what they are truly made off, just some disposable card.
@daytrader Look, more bad news for you, you finally managed to find someone even more harsh on the misbah/Babar and rizwan cult then me.

Tough luck. Looks like your plan to overthrow the president of the MO club hasn't been working.

Saim
Fakhar
Babar
Usman
Imad
Azam
Shadab
Shaheen
Amir
Naseem
Abrar

If the T20 squad has no Babar and Riz then this is the ideal X1.

Sharjeel
Saim
Fakhar
Usman
Muhammad Haris
Salman Ali
Azam K
Imad
Shaheen
Amir
Naseem

Squad rotation, Nafy, Irfan, Usama Baloch, Shadab, Aamir Jamal, Ihsanullah, Wasim jr, Rauf, Zaman K

Yes , the last match I saw at edgbaston was the World Cup win v New Zealand , great crowd.

However when I was at the test match , same ground . Moeen got the biggest cheers & support , went on to make a brilliant hundred

Eric Hollies stand is a good laugh.

Pakistan has amazing support all over the UK.

Some of our best moments and comebacks have been here.

Edgbaston is probably the best atmosphere.

Eric Hollies stand is a good laugh.

Pakistan has amazing support all over the UK.

Some of our best moments and comebacks have been here.

Edgbaston is probably the best atmosphere.
Too many pakistani people in the UK.

I would like to see Usman Khan & Agha Ali Salman get a game. It would be interested to see how they do.
Surely Usman would be in the playing 11 but i think Salman Agha wont make it becuse for that we have to drop either Iftikhar or Imad.

Surely Usman would be in the playing 11 but i think Salman Agha wont make it becuse for that we have to drop either Iftikhar or Imad.
Usman should have been playing the Ireland series as well but they did not give him a single game. I think he should replace rizwan for the upcoming games if he is going to be in the World Cup squad. We know rizwan is in the squad for sure but the way things are going, Usman has not had a good time against New Zealand. If PCB is thinking about taking Usman for the World Cup, they should be giving him ample amount of practice so they can be 100% sure that he can be trusted in case they have to replace someone.

Iffi however can be dropped for sure for Salman to play. No doubt about it.

Usman should have been playing the Ireland series as well but they did not give him a single game. I think he should replace rizwan for the upcoming games if he is going to be in the World Cup squad. We know rizwan is in the squad for sure but the way things are going, Usman has not had a good time against New Zealand. If PCB is thinking about taking Usman for the World Cup, they should be giving him ample amount of practice so they can be 100% sure that he can be trusted in case they have to replace someone.

Iffi however can be dropped for sure for Salman to play. No doubt about it.
I think they are keeping Usman as a back-up to Saim. If Saim continues to fail, Usman will get his opportunity.

I think they are keeping Usman as a back-up to Saim. If Saim continues to fail, Usman will get his opportunity.
He should play ahead of Saim in England. Let Saim know that his performances are not up to the mark and he can be replaced with Usman if he fails and fails.

As a truee lover of pace bowling and as an indian neutral am just keen to see how jofra Archer goes....he's big ticket....
also would be awesome to see the pak young pacemen....
I guess Birmingham has a big population from the SC. Match will be exciting and spicy!!

Bracing for the action

fRytYgT.png

WVXZfI9.png

nUwSxu7.png

MvNiknM.png

EODFuPP.png

gsYe4e2.png

F026iRX.png

Last edited:
If the T20 squad has no Babar and Riz then this is the ideal X1.

Sharjeel
Saim
Fakhar
Usman
Muhammad Haris
Salman Ali
Azam K
Imad
Shaheen
Amir
Naseem

Squad rotation, Nafy, Irfan, Usama Baloch, Shadab, Aamir Jamal, Ihsanullah, Wasim jr, Rauf, Zaman K
Which grave Sharjeel came from?

Looks to be a cloudy but dry day . A little cold feeling too .

Win toss , bowl & get the ball swinging . Amir & Afridi could be tough to play if they get their accuracy right

Fakhar Zaman in a pre match press conference shared following thoughts:

"I think things are quite settled now. I know about my role in the team and so does every other player in the squad. Everybody has a right to form an opinion and our job is to perform on the field."

"Strength wise our team is quite good. We can beat any team in the world. Gelling is very important and we need to keep this attacking mindset till the World Cup. I think we've good chances of doing well in the mega event."

"Sometimes you have to bat in the lower order and after 15 overs. My job is to play aggressively and release the pressure off other players. I am happy with this role and looking forward to play with the same mindset."

"It's good that the series is now down to just three matches. Now we've a good chance of winning two games and take the series. If it had been a four-match series, we would have needed three wins. I feel a three-match T20I series is more exciting."

"Outside noise does not bother us. Team bonding and environment is necessary. If you look at the last two games against Ireland, I feel we were really pumped up and you could see the difference in body language as well. If we keep the same intent as we showed in those games, then we would look a completely different side."

"It is really good for us that we're playing a full-strength England side. We had thought about it earlier and we're concerned about our preparation for the World Cup. Playing against any international team is tough and we will try our level best to beat England."

"I am saying this again, that we've adopted this aggressive brand of cricket and we need to keep going with the same momentum. People always point fingers at the intent of the batters but now, I am assuring you that we will go for 200+ runs as well and you will see the intent too."

Edgbaston is heavily biased towards batting first . Win toss and bat first. Makes no sense to chase.

They have to. All 7 T20I's here have been won by the team batting first. Not a chasing pitch.
And I'm telling you can't. You should know by now positive statistics do not apply to Pakistan.

You can have 250 school boy pitch like the one in Ireland which had 40M straight boundaries and batting wise Pakistan will still decide 170 is the score

To be honest, he's in good touch in the President's Cup right now. I wouldn't have minded if he was given a run at this series.
The quality of President Cup is sub-standard. We are talking about world cup squad.

The quality of President Cup is sub-standard. We are talking about world cup squad.
The point is that he's in touch and is at least playing some cricket. You mentioned which grave he'd come from and the point is, he wouldn't be someone picked up from sitting at home. In any case, the final squad and everything is announced so no point in discussing him

Hopefully get a good game.
Should be a good crowd for PK.

I think there will be the first team tomorrow.

My xi for tomorrows game would be

Saim
Rizwan
Babar
Usman
Fakhar
Shadab
Azam
Imad
Shaheen
Rauf
Amir

Iftikhar
Abbas
Naseem
Abrar

If Pakistan do not panic the score is achievable as long as Fakhar is there for 4 or 5 overs more

Your predictions are good bro, i believe you will do great in the fantasy league.
It's not even predictions mate.

These were my predictions.

1) Archer will get rid of azam (Again I got lucky, but Archer was always going to be the main candidate, since England would bowl him 100% if azam came on and azam can't deal with archer)

2) shadab would be the most expensive and would fail at no 5( How is this even a prediction? It should be obvious)

3) Saim fails (Again easy)

4) Babar departs to spin (Again not a revelation)

5) If England bat first Pakistan will fall 15 runs short (I was actually wrong, the margin was even greater lol)

6) Rauf would get pelted

^^ All these predictions are based of past statistics and none of these players have done anything revolutionary to change that?

Back