England v West Indies, 3rd Test, Old Trafford

Amjid Javed

PakPassion's 100,000 posts man
Runs
Post of the Week
Weather should be nice and sunny. Wether the test goes beyond 3 days depends on wether W.I can actually compete.
The surfaces thus far at old trafford this season have played pretty well thus far. I expect an easy england win again.

I think we will take a boring test series 2-0 or 3-0, I cant wait for the one dayers which will be a lot less predictable.

Apparently its a green bouncy deck. Hopefully we bowl first and Harmison is trusted with the new ball instead of the 'safety first' pairing of Plunkett and Longbottom.

England win the toss and bat. Suprising considering we could knock them over on what looks like a cloudy day.

Daren Powell dropped for Edwards and Daren Sammy in for Sarwan. Chanderpaul comes back in too for Joseph.

Last edited:
Surprised Powell's the one to have been omitted he's probably been their best bowler so far in the series, though best of a disappointing bunch admittedly.

Quite a positive move to bring in Sammy however.

Edwards starts with a 90.6mph low full toss. Some pace!

Windies get their wicket. Taylor has strauss lbw! His rut continues with the bat.

13/1

Edwards having a nightmare, drops short and pulled for 4 by Cook.

Rob H said:
Windies get their wicket. Taylor has strauss lbw! His rut continues with the bat.

13/1
He had a dissapointing Ashes series aswell. Mainly because he didn't get the rub of the green on the umpiring decisions.

36/1. Disappointed with Edwards. Has the pace but no real threat to the batsman. Getting carried away with the bounce on offer.

Shot by Cook a beautiful cover drive.

56/1 off 9 overs. Run rate at over 6

Rob H said:
36/1. Disappointed with Edwards. Has the pace but no real threat to the batsman. Getting carried away with the bounce on offer.

His performance so far has been pretty predictable, yep he's quick but he leaks runs like there's no tomorrow.

I think Strauss hasnt learnt from his mistakes in Australia, where he tried to play the Trescothick role. Strauss seems caught in two minds whenever he faces the bowling now, whether to play them in his own way or to play them in the Trescothick way. Strauss is not a dominant player, he does not have the broad range of shots and the power that Trescothick has. Strauss should be himself.

Whippy said:
I think Strauss hasnt learnt from his mistakes in Australia, where he tried to play the Trescothick role. Strauss seems caught in two minds whenever he faces the bowling now, whether to play them in his own way or to play them in the Trescothick way. Strauss is not a dominant player, he does not have the broad range of shots and the power that Trescothick has. Strauss should be himself.

Might have to go back and be himself at Middlesex while Trescothick relieves him at the top of the order for the next test.

Meanwhile fine bowling from Bravo and to an extent Collymore is putting some pressure on the England bats, after the rubbish delivered at high pace in the first hour.

if Strauss doesn't save face in the second innings then it will be very hard to keep him in the side, with so many good-looking players scoring runs in the CCC. If Trescothick isnt ready then how about Joe Sayers or James Benning, might as well try something different given its the final test.

but do u think selectors will choose a new face over Strauss?? potential captain and long term servant of England?

I think they will re-choose him and say it was just temporary loss of form

A long-term servant yes, proven class yes. But he has played pretty much zero innings of note since summer 2006. Thats quuuuite a long time ago. Sooner or later, even the established players can become a liability and they need a season out of the national side to rest and reflect.

you enjoynig this then Whippy

It has been another sound morning of batting, but once again the challenge and excitement is totally absent. One thing thats nice is that we are consistently weeing all over the bowling attack that gave India and Pakistan a few problems in recent test series, which shows that our batting has improved a lot recently. If we had the bowling attack of the 2005 Ashes playing with this batting lineup we would look a pretty good prospect. Individually the batsmen were better in Vaughan's first reign as captain, but the lineup as a whole is now much more of a unit.

Last edited:
1st Test against WI in Lahore we scored 485 and won by 9 wickets
2nd Test in Multan we scored 367 and 461 for 7
3rd Test in Karachi we scored 304 and 399 for 6

Hardly 'giving us problems'.

I dont remember that one, I was talking about the one in WI.

the one in the WI was years ago, this was months ago!

Gatting thinks that England should bat this way:

Trescothick
Cook
Bell
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bopara

Thoughts?

I don't see why you should tinker with your batting order. It is fine the way it is.

I think it messes with the positions too much. Vaughan and Pietersen are just right at 3 and 4. Ravi has been scoring a lot of runs in county though, his last two innings have been something like 150 and 229.

Whippy said:
Gatting thinks that England should bat this way:

Trescothick
Cook
Bell
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bopara

Thoughts?

I stopped reading at 'Gatting thinks'.

Yeah, this order is right. Vaughan and KP are ideal for 3 and 4.

Whippy said:
If Trescothick isnt ready then how about Joe Sayers or James Benning, might as well try something different given its the final test.

Wha..?

Why would either of those two be in the mix?

Benning can't even get a game for Surrey at the moment.

They're both quality...Benning is something we could need later on anyway, in the one day game. Being 20-1 after 10 overs of yet another ODI is something I am not keen on.

Bit of movement, Vaughan plays the shot and loses middle and off stump.

Time for the Main Event

Whippy said:
They're both quality...Benning is something we could need later on anyway, in the one day game. Being 20-1 after 10 overs of yet another ODI is something I am not keen on.

We've already got one inexperienced opener, I don't think we need to rush into having two just yet.

I hope Pietersen just blasts everything today. He has the two centuries which means he has already delivered the 'playing for your position' stuff, so he can go mental for the next few games now and see what happens.

Is that the first time Vaughan got bowled? Looks like it to me.. ;-)

Pietersen 'blasted' and went for 9 - caught Bravo, bowled Collymore. 132/3 - Windies fighting back.

Collymore's picked up the big wicket of Pieterson.

What's this the Windies actually putting some pressure on England, what's Ganga doing quick get Edwards back on prompto!

Whippy said:
I hope Pietersen just blasts everything today. He has the two centuries which means he has already delivered the 'playing for your position' stuff, so he can go mental for the next few games now and see what happens.

Getting a 200 shouldn't allow you to turn off your brain for the next few matches.

Edwards shutting me up a little bit, bowling some great stuff to Collingwood in particular, problem is I doubt he'll be able to sustain it in his next spell....

It's what you get for choosing to bat on a wicket that has plenty of pace and bounce and movement with overcast conditions.

57 runs partnership between Bell and Prior...good stand after the collapse earlier on...I think West Indies would be looking to skittle England out under 300 if they have any chance of winning this...

Yes this partnership is building nicely. Bell has a 50 and proves his worth to the side and Prior is looking good again.

237/5

Bell just keeps scoring runs in home conditions - I hate him, but he's good to watch.

Easa said:
Bell just keeps scoring runs in home conditions
Didn't do too badly in Australia too with 4 50s. He is a man we can always turn to in a pressure situation. Whenever we crumble of late he has been the one who's made an innings.

Just seen the Prior replay. Daft pull shot hitting it straight to deep square leg.

266/6

Typical plucky and useful no.7 innings from Prior, but a poor dismissal

Two very good innings for us today, Cook and Bell. Theyve held together the innings at two seperate key junctures in the day. Meanwhile another failure for Collingwood who continues to look clueless when the pitch isn't a flat p!sstake.

Rob H said:
Didn't do too badly in Australia too with 4 50s. He is a man we can always turn to in a pressure situation. Whenever we crumble of late he has been the one who's made an innings.
I suppose so but he failed a lot in pressure situations, if memory serves.

Bell has failed in a quite a few of the pressure situations but also delivered in quite a few of them. He is also a fluent player when he is allowed to open up. I like him more after today.

Fidel edwards has bowled with great pace and hes got his lines superbly right!

sadly no luck! Plenty of chin music about!

Plunkett gone! castled!

edwards deserved that!

Edwards smashes a bouncer into harmisons helmet.

Next ball goes for four byes! some pace from edwards here!

Collingwood failing again only makes his success against us even more frustrating

Seems like a contest at last. Good to see

Vaughan will probably claim that he 'didnt make the decision to bat first' and was misquoted at the coin toss.

Rob H said:
He always seemed never be able to go onto make a century in Australia.
I reckon he had the Steve Waugh mentality of the 80s. This is it. I'm going to make it this time. This will be the big one.

Waqar's inswinging yorker said:
the end result makes the decision to bat first even more bemusing!

Vaughan likes to bat first even on the dodgy-ish wickets, because he feels the wickets deteriorate in England as the test match goes on, and he likes an opportunity to put runs on the board first. History has generally shown this is the right view. Lets wait for the actual end result of the game before his decision is proclaimed as wrong.

Well we have certainly fought back after our initial rubbish.

We need to knock England over in the next 20 runs or so, and then put some runs on the board. A traditional West Indies collapse is not what we want.....need a lead of at least 100 here.

Edwards bowls a jaffer to Bell. Pitched off stump swings away beating him all ends up. Great bowling this is.

Think Bell will be able to conquer his mental demons and get a ton?

7/321 after 91.4 overs with bell 18 runs away from making a century at the moment his batting with harmison.

Like watching Allan Donald with Fidel Edwards this morning. Vicious bouncers at 90mph that are kicking up at the batsmen. Some fuller balls too that are causing problems with the swing he generates. Thrilling cricket watching this.

322/7

Edwards bowling fast.

321/7; Bell and Harmison really frustrating the West Indians.

I think we will go on to win the game. Windies just arent ruthless enough, they showed it after reducing us to 150/5 and they are showing it again.

Windies have generally struggled to polish teams off when in good positions in recent years.

Same old failing rearing it's ugly head once again it seems.

Harmison gone bounced out. Hits his glove after ducking in and Bowden gives the nod. Good bowling well rewarded.

324/8

Good innings from Harmison actually. Irritated the bowlers and hopefully its pumped him up for some short fast bowling of his own.

Hopefully Harmisson will get destroyed.

Bell hits 2 fours in that Edwards over. Into the 90s now.

Bell will run himself out for 99

Sidebottom defending well. Drinks called by Billy Bowden.

Back