England vs Pakistan | 2nd Test | Headingley, Leeds | June 1-5, 2018 | Day 1 | Match Thread

One wicket still to be taken...
Could we see shadab become Steve Smith in future? Lol

unsure if that was a good idea to play the single there tbh, even though we got a :four off the last delivery.

These last three partnerships have really wrested the initiative from England. Remember we were looking to get bowled out for less than 100. Advantage Pakistan. England chasing the game from here on out.

Let’s see if we can surpass England’s first innings total at Lords

These last three partnerships have really wrested the initiative from England. Remember we were looking to get bowled out for less than 100. Advantage Pakistan. England chasing the game from here on out.
Is the pitch green?

From commies to pundits to posters here almost everyone said batting first was the right decision at the start, its easy to say now.

Too many hindsight geniuses on here who have their thumb in their backside while a decision is made - who will only open their mouths only once its clear the decision backfires. Anyone can do that from the comfort of their bedrooms.

As we can see its become easier to bat on the surface and the sun is out.

At Leeds you have to bat conservatively for the first session, minimise loss of wickets as much as possible, before opening up in the afternoon. It remains the right decision but we failed to execute the plan properly, and credit to ENG's new ball bowlers, namely Broad.

OMG why did Shadab do sajdah for a 50 omg we are so pathetic wowwwwwww.

What are these batting standards. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

What the hell does sajda have to do with batting standards ?!?!? People just wana critisize anything and everything. He’s thanking god *** !!! He can do it at 10 50 or 100.

I am so tired of this contrarian crap.

First we were lucky Virat Kohli chose to bowl in the CT Final. Now we were lucky Root chose to bowl at Lord's.

The fact is if the opposition captain makes the wrong decision, that's too damn bad. Its part of the game and we still had to play well in order to get an advantage.

That Day 1 Lord's pitch was not a 184 all out pitch by the way.

Ignore not worth the effort remember the good old saying when it comes to him tail and a tube and a certain animal 👌

Shadab & Fahim's batting spots are absolutely perfect for their strength, so is Amir' & Hasan's. People are suggesting all sorts of combination because PAK's Captain is ranging between 10 to 25, some times runs scored, sometimes balls played.

What next - drop a bowler and play an extra batsman to cover No. 6 with Fahim & Shadab at 8 & 9?

Too many hindsight geniuses on here who have their thumb in their backside while a decision is made - who will only open their mouths only once its clear the decision backfires. Anyone can do that from the comfort of their bedrooms.

At Leeds you have to bat conservatively for the first session, minimise loss of wickets as much as possible, before opening up in the afternoon. It remains the right decision but we failed to execute the plan properly, and credit to ENG's new ball bowlers, namely Broad.

Good post. Hope these guys learn this by next innings and 500 is on the cards.

Moreso, England is chasing the win here. Making them bat second is the perfect way to put them under severe pressure. Pakistan may not have batted well, but they still have a good chance for a 2-0.

If we get to 200 its Pakistan's game to lose

Totally agree.

I completely agree with you except that I expect the ball to swing for us too. The ball is now almost 50 overs old hence not doing as much. If cloud cover remain we're in this.

Shadab & Fahim's batting spots are absolutely perfect for their strength, so is Amir' & Hasan's. People are suggesting all sorts of combination because PAK's Captain is ranging between 10 to 25, some times runs scored, sometimes balls played.

What next - drop a bowler and play an extra batsman to cover No. 6 with Fahim & Shadab at 8 & 9?

It's time for him to retire.

Glorious post :inzi2

Shadab did as best he could in the situation. Another Test fifty for a top young prospect.

Not too bad considering where we were. Remember English batting lineup is full of duds.

Drop Faheem and play a batsman. The luxury of 5 bowlers doesn’t make sense when 30 average genius Sarfraz has to bat at 6.

Faheem doesn’t merit selection on either discipline.

Not a bad score from that start; but now PAK will be chasing the game unless new ball does considerable damage. Probably 100 lead is manageable, but Poms might bat well this time.

Drop Faheem and play a batsman. The luxury of 5 bowlers doesn’t make sense when 30 average genius Sarfraz has to bat at 6.

you wrote Fahim off after 1 inning? come on mate trust your players a bit. Fahim is a great prospect with both bat at 8 and #4 seamer overseas and #3 seamer in UAE with 2 spinners.

That 80 against Ireland was a little glimpse of Faheem’s potential.

Basically England cannot score more than 275 if we're to have a chance.

Then we'll need to bat out of our skins in our 2nd innings with anything less than 400 being insufficient.

But, he is providing 20 overs of relief - with that fitness level, outside Asia, 3 pacers might need to bowl 75 overs in a Day. 3rd day of Lords suggests that's not a good idea. In Asia/UAE 2+2 is perfect - Yasir & Gohar can bowl 134 overs, Hari another 20 & 2 pacers 58 max.

Still the right decision to bat first. Pakistan just did not bat well.

Basically England cannot score more than 275 if we're to have a chance.

Then we'll need to bat out of our skins in our 2nd innings with anything less than 400 being insufficient.

300 would be too much to chase in 4th innings, wouldn't it be?
250+ will be difficult to chase in 4th innings imo.

Btw how good are Jennings and Curran as batsmen, any idea?

By the time this test ends you guys will be thanking the Shadab partnerships with Amir, Hasan and Abbas. Likh lo

Usual collapse at the top order leaving the bowlers to do everything. Shadab and Hasan proved that batting was not as difficult as the top order made it to be. Should have at least got 300 that would have made a good match. Imam-ul-Haq and Azhar Ali again failing to deliver where as the new boy Usman doesn't seem anything brilliant either. Now to the bowlers as always to save us the match, as I said prior to the series our tail enders bat better then the so called top order. We missed Babar Azam for sure.

Pakistan have enough runs on the board. We should get them out before they get 150.
Amir, Abbas and Hasan to wreak a havoc down there!

England bowled well. Shadab played a cracker.

Need Cook and Root early to give us a chance otherwise looking at 400.

Conditions have eased considerably now, will be hard to dismiss England on a low score. Batting first was huge tactical blunder.

Hope we make the new ball count.

I'm sensing England 80/8 by end of day's play.... don't blame me if it doesn't happen mein koi najoomi thori hoon :yk

If Abbas bowls like he can and Amir comes to the party, then I expect us to be very much in this game.

Look at that pitch map. England got their lengths spot on with those wickets.

Conditions have eased considerably now, will be hard to dismiss England on a low score. Batting first was huge tactical blunder.

Hope we make the new ball count.

We simply have to...
I expect big things from Abbas and Amir

mate ball was 50 overs old...
Lets see what the new ball does for us

I see, I am not watching the game, saw the scorecard and got surprised by tailenders batting.

Hopefully we can bowl them out for under 150 in sha Allah.

"Here we go afternoon session.... more swing bowled first ball... bit of inside edge... bit of pad... but the ball snuck through..... pace and swing and movement from Muhammad Amir........."

300 would be too much to chase in 4th innings, wouldn't it be?
250+ will be difficult to chase in 4th innings imo.

Btw how good are Jennings and Curran as batsmen, any idea?

WI chased down 320 on Day 5 last summer but there wasn't as much swing or seam that I can recall as we've seen here. I wouldn't want to chase more than 200.

Jennings was dropped as he kept nicking off to Philander outside off last summer. He averages something like 26 since his dropping but got recalled after a couple of good innings this season.

Wouldn't worry too much about Curran's batting.

Amir & Abbas to inshAllah blow away the English batting line up today :akhtar

WI chased down 320 on Day 5 last summer but there wasn't as much swing or seam that I can recall as we've seen here. I wouldn't want to chase more than 200.

Jennings was dropped as he kept nicking off to Philander outside off last summer. He averages something like 26 since his dropping but got recalled after a couple of good innings this season.

Fit hai thanks bro

Fail to understand why we opted to bat? when we know England is low on batting confidence and pak bowling was on top.:angelo

its gonna be cloudy and breezy for the next three days so this may not go into a fourth day

Pakistan has done well to go from 70/7 to 170....
If they bowl like they did in Lords .... They could restrict England to a similar score or lower!

Back