[EXCLUSIVE] "Babar Azam still has to improve a lot as captain": Aamer Sohail

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Ahead of the 2nd T20I between England and Pakistan, Saj caught up with former Pakistan captain Aamir Sohail.

Topics discussed in this interview included:

Importance of the ongoing T20I series between England and Pakistan and their importance to Pakistan's preparations for the ICC T20 World Cup

The ideal opening batting combination for Pakistan in T20Is

Issues surrounding Babar Azam's re-appointment as T20I captain and what he must do to perform better at the helm

How Pakistan can best use Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim to their advantage

Views on the current PCB Chairman, Mohsin Naqvi

Aamir's 4 Semi-Finalists and Pakistan's chances of winning the ICC T20 World Cup

Last edited:
DRS is one big item

Usage of bowlers - still not clear in his head it seems!

I don't know who makes up the think tank in Pakistan, head coach is now Gary Kirsten yes?

Maybe someone should give some guidance to Pakistan captain whoever he is that some bowlers are better suited to different phases of the game.

They can't make all the decision for him, but there should be some sort of game plan thought out beforehand which gets Rauf bowling later on rather than in the first part of the game.

I don't know who makes up the think tank in Pakistan, head coach is now Gary Kirsten yes?

Maybe someone should give some guidance to Pakistan captain whoever he is that some bowlers are better suited to different phases of the game.

They can't make all the decision for him, but there should be some sort of game plan thought out beforehand which gets Rauf bowling later on rather than in the first part of the game.
I said it from the start. No coach will do anything as long as Hafeez's words aren't listened to and babar is at the helm.

As hafeez said RIP DOMESTIC CRICKET

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if he leads for 10 more years, he still wont learn or improve. You dont expect a passing marks student to suddenly become a position holder in university.

Told you guys Babar is the most powerful cricketer in the history of cricket. Big coaches/chairman fail and forced to resign but this guy still stays. Both Naqvi and Garry will loose their jobs after this WC but Babar will stay as captain. Worst thing is he is above criticism.

Problem is that there is not a single decent consistently performing captain in the team. Who should be captain?

His bowling changes in the England vs Pakistan match were terrible. He allowed Shadab to bowl 4 overs when he had conceded 28-29 runs after the second over when he had ifti and ayub who could have chipped in instead. Terrible captaincy. He made a similar mistake in the last T20 game against Ireland.

Glad that Amir Sohail called it spade a spade. Without any title, he would always be questioned.

But I dont have that much time, I m 38 now and just want to see Pakistan winning another T20 world cup in my life and with Boby type captains its an impossible task.
Oh bhai, 38 Is nothing bro, you're a baby/young adult/young gun to people who are 70+. Babar isn't captaining till your 60. 😂.

Don't worry Bobby will be sacked by 2025 ct and rizzu(probs the next captain) will be sacked by 2027-2028 WC/Olympics.

Babar has been riding the fame wave for a long while but slowly the tides are now turning, as bobby is being bashed left and right now adays.

Uss kei baad let's see if we have another sarfi-mickey type stint where the influence of misbah, Waqar younis and dosti yaari clique is present or not.

If it isnt you're in safe hands, if it is, then tough luck bro.

Edit: if it's any consolidation, 1996 and 2011 are very good campaigns just saying. Theirs nothing wrong with being eliminated by the strongest team. Pakistan in 1996 were scary strong as a unit, they just got booted by the strongest team.

People generally learn from their mistakes if they are capable enough and they think about it wisely but Babar is a different breed. 4 years is enough time to learn. You cannot be making the same mistakes over and over again. Babar's 2nd stint as captain should be different but so far it has been the same old ride.

Problem is that there is not a single decent consistently performing captain in the team. Who should be captain?
Rizwan, he has captaincy material written all over him (my apologies to Rana ). Shaheen Afridi wasn't the best choice but still he should have been given a chance to prove himself. Babar is a master batter (for sure the most valuable player in the team) but Babar is a very passive captain not proactive at all. Compared to Babar, Misbah (a defensive captain) was a far better tactician.

People generally learn from their mistakes if they are capable enough and they think about it wisely but Babar is a different breed. 4 years is enough time to learn. You cannot be making the same mistakes over and over again. Babar's 2nd stint as captain should be different but so far it has been the same old ride.
Return of Babar has less to do with his Captaincy potential and more to do with some recent rapid changes at the PCB leadership.

Return of Babar has less to do with his Captaincy potential and more to do with some recent rapid changes at the PCB leadership.
Tbh, babar should have just stayed away from captaincy drama. He is just a scape goat now waiting to be slaughtered

Are people just realising this? Can you imagine, most fans understand the game better than the national captain. That is how poor he is.

But it’s no secret.

Tbh, babar should have just stayed away from captaincy drama. He is just a scape goat now waiting to be slaughtered
buddy , you think Shaheen & Shahid Afrid have a clique working on it ?

If team Pakistan don't reach the semi-final of the upcoming T20 World Cup, we should have a new captain. Babar has given a lot of time in my opinion and he seems to be not improving as a captain.

Nearly 5 years as a captain and we are still waiting to see improvements from him.

Babar or kitna zaleel hona hai.

His Captaincy greed is hurting Pakistan cricket. You can not turn a donkey into a horse.

First captain to lose to Ireland/Zimbabwe/Afghanistan/USA. Given his track record Canada match may not be an easy gig. It is at New York. sluggish pitch.

Worst captain in Pakistan history.

Babar has captained this side for a good four years but is still standing at zero so Its better to go with any young player now and groom him as a captain instead of wasting more time on Babar.

Babars captaincy is like having a child who is 8 years old and still needs training. PCB has always selected players based on huge connections and politics. Difference is now that PCB seems content on the regular humiliations it gets on and off the field. As long as Pakistan is getting some home series and then site seeing away tours the whole set up is like it's some village 3rd X1 on Jolly up cricket tours.

This is why I don't waste my time watching most of this trash any more.

No improvement needed...babar needs to go and he should focus on his batting... captaincy is not his cup of tea.

Back