[EXCLUSIVE] "PSL always remains stronger one in sense as young talent emerges every single year": David Wiese

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Known as the Murshid in the Qalandars' clan, Former South Africa and current Namibia all-rounder David Wiese sits with Saj Sadiq for an exclusive chat about:

1. His relationship with Lahore Qalandars
2. What makes the franchise so special?
3. Absence of Rashid Khan in PSL 2024
4. Him staying in the same room for two years
5. Overall PSL experience
6. Giving it back to the franchise that gave him so much

He is one of the most loyal friends of Lahore Qalandars and Pakistan cricket. He visited Pakistan when nobody else was thinking to come due to security reasons.

Wiese is the man behind the success of LQ. Have seen him sharing valuable tips and giving pep talk to Shaheen as a captain.

He talked about the bowling attack but in the first two games, their bowling looks weak. Haris and Shaheen need to do better if they are going to be the Champions once again.

3 times in a row at this Pakistan Super League that Lahore Qalandars have failed to defend a target:

Match 1 - 195
Match 2 - 187
Match 3 - 166

No Rashid Khan, time for the skipper and others to step up.

3 times in a row at this Pakistan Super League that Lahore Qalandars have failed to defend a target:

Match 1 - 195
Match 2 - 187
Match 3 - 166

No Rashid Khan, time for the skipper and others to step up.
Shows you how much they are missing Rasid Khan.

The commentators were saying that with Rasid Khan, their win percentage is about 65%, without him, its about 35%.

It's crazy to think what a difference one man can make. People thought that Shaheen / Haris were the difference makers for the Qalandars, but in fact it was always king Rashid.

The commentators were saying that with Rasid Khan, their win percentage is about 65%, without him, its about 35%.

It's crazy to think what a difference one man can make. People thought that Shaheen / Haris were the difference makers for the Qalandars, but in fact it was always king Rashid.

No need to take away credit from Shaheen/Rauf/Zaman from the previous years, they were outstanding as well. This year, they are out of form and that happens but the bowling worked well because it was such a good tandem together where Shaheen gave you early wickets, Rashid would stifle the opposition in the middle overs and Zaman/Rauf excelled in death. So at every phase of the match, you had bowlers who can give you wickets and stop the opposition from pulling off an extended partnership which is what helped them win.

Wiese out of favour at the moment.

The guy Jahandad looks a clean striker of the ball.

Lovely arc when he goes for his shots.

Wiese out of favour at the moment.

The guy Jahandad looks a clean striker of the ball.

Lovely arc when he goes for his shots.

Yes both players have similar roles. Jahandad just a bit in better form.
Wonder if Weise will end up being a coach (of some capacity) for the next PSL

It's crazy to think what a difference one man can make. People thought that Shaheen / Haris were the difference makers for the Qalandars, but in fact it was always king Rashid

SSA and Haris are not the same bowlers compared to the last 2 seasons.

THERE IS A LOT OF TALENT IN PAKISTAN,” SAYS LEUS DU PLOOY

Karachi Kings’ top-order batter Leus du Plooy praised the local talent in Pakistan after his side’s HBL PSL 9 clash against Islamabad United yesterday.

While talking to the media after the match, Du Plooy shed light on his experience of playing in the HBL PSL for the first time.

“It is my first time here but Mickey Arthur told me a lot about HBL PSL. It is an unbelievable experience to be part of it and I rate this league very highly,” expressed Du Plooy.

“I faced some of the net bowlers and I am amazed to see the local talent here,” he added.

Du Plooy also acknowledged the mistakes during his side’s loss against Islamabad United and appreciated Colin Munro for his knock.

“They [Islamabad United] played well in the powerplay in both innings, especially [Colin] Munro, he played exceptionally.

Leus du Plooy also appreciated the leadership skills of Karachi Kings’ captain Shan Masood, with whom he knitted a 40-run stand for the second wicket.

“Shan Masood is a great leader and I enjoyed batting with him.”

Karachi Kings will face Quetta Gladiators today in their fifth match in the ongoing HBL PSL 9.

Source: Karachi Kings

Why isn't Wiese playing for Lahore Qalandars? Is he not a part of the team this season?
They seem to be preferring Brathwaite ahead of Wiese.

Regarding the talent, at the moment I feel that the PSL standard has slipped a bit.

They seem to be preferring Brathwaite ahead of Wiese.

Regarding the talent, at the moment I feel that the PSL standard has slipped a bit.
Experience of Wiese can't be replaced with Braithwaite, though Braithwaite is also a wonderful all rounder but he hasn't been performing for them this season so its better to give a chance to that guy who has already won you games multiple times single handedly.

Pressure is back on Aaqib Javed again at Qalandars.

LQ like continuity, but maybe it's time for a change.

During an interview on a podcast show, David Wiese revealed that some of the KKR stars were frustrated under Chandrakant Pandit, shedding light on an unhappy KKR dressing room in IPL 2023:

"There were certain issues going on behind the scenes in the team. Guys weren't happy with certain things that were going on, and a lot of the times, it was a tough changing room. There was a new coach coming in and he liked to do things a certain way, and that didn't sit well with the players."

"Guys were frustrated because a lot changed, and the coach brought in things that he thought would bring success. But as an overseas player, they sometimes don't sit well. He's known in India as a fairly militant type of coach, a strict disciplinarian. The overseas guys who've played all over the world don't need someone coming in and telling him how to behave and what to wear and what to do. I was chill with it, but there were players more stubborn than me."

"As the tournament goes on, you kind of sense whether you have a shot at qualifying or not. It's not about whether you're playing; it's just about spending another couple of weeks away from family. For me personally, the result of the game didn't matter that much, but I still got pulled into personal performances."

During an interview on a podcast show, David Wiese revealed that some of the KKR stars were frustrated under Chandrakant Pandit, shedding light on an unhappy KKR dressing room in IPL 2023:

"There were certain issues going on behind the scenes in the team. Guys weren't happy with certain things that were going on, and a lot of the times, it was a tough changing room. There was a new coach coming in and he liked to do things a certain way, and that didn't sit well with the players."

"Guys were frustrated because a lot changed, and the coach brought in things that he thought would bring success. But as an overseas player, they sometimes don't sit well. He's known in India as a fairly militant type of coach, a strict disciplinarian. The overseas guys who've played all over the world don't need someone coming in and telling him how to behave and what to wear and what to do. I was chill with it, but there were players more stubborn than me."

"As the tournament goes on, you kind of sense whether you have a shot at qualifying or not. It's not about whether you're playing; it's just about spending another couple of weeks away from family. For me personally, the result of the game didn't matter that much, but I still got pulled into personal performances."
Andre Russell has come out in support of his coach. Russell believes that it took the side some time to adjust to their new coach's methods, while speaking at a press conference:

"We’ve been working with him since last year. I think when you’re working with a coach for the first time, you have to make sure that you adjust to their philosophy. There have to be rules. We are professionals. So, we don’t complain”.

Back