Forgotten Pakistani ex-cricketers

Wajahat_Ali

Debutant
Runs
I was just thinking about some ex-pakistani cricketers who we hardly get to see after their retirement from international cricket....I mean the likes of Salim Jaffer,Salim Yousuf,Shoaib Mohammad,Tahir Naqqash,Asif Mujtaba,Basit Ali,Qasim Umar,etc...Where are they?What are they doing currently??Are they still associated with cricket??

Wajahat_Ali said:
I was just thinking about some ex-pakistani cricketers who we hardly get to see after their retirement from international cricket....I mean the likes of Salim Jaffer,Salim Yousuf,Shoaib Mohammad,Tahir Naqqash,Asif Mujtaba,Basit Ali,Qasim Umar,etc...Where are they?What are they doing currently??Are they still associated with cricket??

Salim Jaffer and Salim Yousaf were Pak selectors until recently (maybe year or two).
Shoaib Mohammed is affiliated with one of the departments (PIA, UBL ... etc)
Asif Mujtaba was still playing FC cricket till recently, probably affiliated within the coaching structure of one the departments.
Basit Ali appears on TV as pundit every now and then. Probably is associated with Rashid Latif cricket academy.
Qasim Umar lives abroad and into preaching Islam with the Tableeghi Jamaat.

Eagle_Eye said:
Salim Jaffer and Salim Yousaf were Pak selectors until recently (maybe year or two).
Shoaib Mohammed is affiliated with one of the departments (PIA, UBL ... etc)
Asif Mujtaba was still playing FC cricket till recently, probably affiliated within the coaching structure of one the departments.
Basit Ali appears on TV as pundit every now and then. Probably is associated with Rashid Latif cricket academy.
Qasim Umar lives abroad and into preaching Islam with the Tableeghi Jamaat.

thanks for the info mate

Shoaib Mohammed is coach of PIA, and was a selector alongside Salim Jaffer at one point.

Asif Mujtaba now lives in Dallas, Texas. He was playing local league cricket first for Carolton i think, but last i heard was playing for Plano in the North Texas league.

Not sure if he still is.

Happy birthday to Tahir Naqqash, if I'm honest, had never heard of him. Is now a taxi driver in Manchester.

Happy birthday to Tahir Naqqash, if I'm honest, had never heard of him. Is now a taxi driver in Manchester.

Wow good for him. Thanks for sharing.

He was a good filler bowler. My brother used to have a collection of "Cricketer" magazines and the magazine had a section where they'd publish the letters from their readers. He grew a beard for the test series in England and a reader wrote in as "Tahir Naqqash's aj kal aisay lag rahay hain jaisay double roti ko choontian chipki hoi houn". Idk why I've always found this line super funny and even makes me chuckle to the day.

Shadab Kabir
Shahid Nazir
Ata Ur Rehaman
Mohammed HUssien (off spinner in Late 90's)

I thought Wajahatullah Wasti is in our current selection committee?

Ali Arooj Naqvi
Qaiser Abbas
Rana Naveed
Elahi brothers
Akhtar Sarfraz
Manzoor Akhtar (probably last I read his comment on Pakpassion)

Asif Mujtaba is very active in the Dallas cricket community. He owns a store in Plano - AA Sports.

Aamer Nazir - such a bright debut in the west indies in 1994..then sort of faded away.

I have heard this name not sure from whom. Would like to know more about him.

He might have played in late 80’s and I remember he scored a century against India in his debut match. I may be wrong. But I have never seen him after that.

Shouldn't it be "Forgotten Pakistani ex-cricketers" and not "Forgotten ex-Pakistani cricketers?" The latter implies that they are current cricketers who were once Pakistani but aren't anymore.

Akhtar Ayub; he looked like a promising bowler in his under 19 days. He was quick at that age and could have been an asset. Instead PCB focused on Anwar Ali; his batch fellow.

Naveed Latif
Remember him scoring a scoring a century in his 2nd Odi

Shahid Anwar - i think he only played one ODI against england in the 90s. Shahid Nazir was also playing in that game.

Ijaz Faqih

I have heard this name not sure from whom. Would like to know more about him.
Sort of the 1980’s Mohammad Hafeez.

Imran Khan used him to shorten the tail in series against the West Indies by having him bat at Number 9, below Imran and the keeper but above Abdul Qadir (number 10) and Wasim Akram (number 11).

Can you imagine that: a guy batting at Number 10 or 11 who scored a Test century at Adelaide eighteen months later!

Azeem Hafeez, Mohsin Kamal, aneel dalpat, asif Iqbal, ashraf ali / wicket keeper,

What about yaseer hameed.
That guy was amazing for nearly 2 years. Used to be my favourite pak batsman.

What about yaseer hameed.
That guy was amazing for nearly 2 years. Used to be my favourite pak batsman.

When Hameed and Farhat put on those successive century stands together against New Zealand in 2003, I thought our opening partnership for the next five years was sorted.

Naivety of youth.

Hameed had one of the most gorgeous cover drives I've ever seen. That 98 against India in Peshawar was a great innings. He was prone to fish outside offstump which was an issue. Super talented, but sadly like many of our talents faded away into oblivion too quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mohammad Irshad: This guy was supposed to be the next Shoaib Akhtar. Hyped on PP as well for many years. I recall Akthar saying he was mentoring this guy as well, maybe that was his downfall. What happened?

When Hameed and Farhat put on those successive century stands together against New Zealand in 2003, I thought our opening partnership for the next five years was sorted.

Naivety of youth.
Yeah both were good but hameed looked like the complete package. He could both attack and build the innings. One of the biggest wasted talents of pakistan.
He also held the record for most runs in first 30 innings.

Back