Golf Thread

Australian Open: Joaquin Niemann beats Rikuya Hoshino in play-off

Chilean Joaquin Niemann beat Japan's Rikuya Hoshino in a play-off to win the Australian Open for the first time.

The pair finished level on 14 under par after 72 holes and both birdied the 18th to send the sudden-death play-off to a second hole.

Niemann, 25, then bettered Hoshino's birdie with an eagle to claim victory at the Australian Golf Club in Sydney.

The champion admitted his "putting hasn't been the best" recently and that he had been "working hard on it".

"It was nice to make that last putt," the former world number 15 added.

"I always practise those three, four, five-feet ones and know that one of those will be to win a tournament. It's amazing."

Winning his maiden DP World Tour title has now given two-time US PGA Tour winner Niemann, who joined the Saudi-funded LIV Golf series last year, an exemption to next year's Open.

Also on Sunday, Ashleigh Buhai successfully defended her women's title with a one-shot victory over Australia's Minjee Lee.

South Africa's Buhai, who won the Women's Open in 2022, held off a late charge by fellow major winner Lee to become the first back-to-back champion since Yani Tseng in 2011.

The 34-year-old carded a three-over-par 75 to end at nine-under for the tournament.

BBC

Scottie Scheffler wins Hero World Challenge as Tiger Woods finishes 18th​

World number one Scottie Scheffler won the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas as Tiger Woods finished 18th in the 20-man field on his return from injury.

American Scheffler's bogey-free four-under round of 68 meant he finished on 20 under and sealed a three-shot win from Austrian Sepp Straka.

Woods, competing for the first time since withdrawing from the Masters in April, ended level after a round of 72.

The 15-time major champion expects to play "once a month" in 2024.

Former world number one Woods, 47, had ankle surgery earlier this year to address post-traumatic arthritis following the 2021 car crash that kept him out of action for nearly 14 months.

"Once a month seems reasonable," Woods told Golf Channel of his plans for next year.

"It gives me a couple of weeks to recover and a week to tune up. Maybe I can get into the rhythm."

Woods, who will next play the PNC Championship - formerly the Father/Son Challenge - from 14 December with his son Charlie, said he was "ecstatic" with his return.

"I feel like my game's not that far off but I need to get in better shape," Woods said.

"I don't have the bone pain that I did, but I still have to go through with the same protocols. It takes a long time, that's the unfortunate thing about ageing."

Woods recovered from a double bogey on the third with three birdies in the next four holes and also birdied the 14th and 15th after dropping shots on the eighth and 11th.

He finished 20 shots behind compatriot Scheffler, runner-up to Viktor Hovland in each of the past two years.

Straka returned a superb 64 to finish 17 under, with Justin Thomas a shot further back in third. Hovland surged through the field with a 63 to finish 10th.

"I think this is great for momentum," Scheffler told NBC.

"I talked a little bit about it at the beginning of the week; this was kind of a warm-up for the [next] season."

Source: BBC

New golf ball rules: R&A and USGA opt to limit distance ball will travel in air

Golf's biggest hitters are likely to see the distance they can propel tee shots shortened by around 15 yards after the R&A and United States Golf Association announced changes to rules surrounding ball specifications.

All players will be affected, but officials estimate that recreational golfers, incapable of generating the rapid swing speeds of pros, will suffer a reduction of fewer than five yards to their longest shots.

There has been opposition from golf manufacturers and leading tours during a protracted period of consultation before this announcement. One manufacturer described previous proposals as "a solution seeking a problem."

But the rules makers insist the game has to act to limit hitting distances.

"This is a trend we need to take very seriously," R&A chief executive Martin Slumbers told BBC Sport.

"Golf courses are growing ever longer and we need to have a responsibility about protecting the integrity of golf courses, protecting the balance of skills and technology, and how the game is played.

"But also the sport has to take its responsibility and be cognisant of our environmental and sustainability impacts. Making golf courses ever longer, we start to run out of property and it is not environmentally responsible."

Modern premium golf balls (which cost around £6 each) when struck with the latest large-headed drivers have never flown as far as they do today.

The PGA Tour's biggest hitter, Rory McIlroy, is among several players whose drives average more than 320 yards, with 98 pros beating the circuit's average of 299.9 yards last season.

Rory McIlroy: Golf world number two says new ball rules will make game more skilful​

Golf's revamped ball rules will make the game more skilful again, says four-time major winner Rory McIlroy.

The R&A and United States Golf Association announced significant changes to ball specifications on Wednesday.

Distances on tee shots will reduce by around 15 yards in the elite game.

"It will bring back some skills into the pro game that have maybe been lost," the world number two told Sky Sports.

McIlroy added: "I actually think it will make the pro game more entertaining to watch - you will see a different variety of games."

The 34-year-old believes that shot shaping will come back into golf, and and increased use of long irons will mean "the game at the top level will become a bit more skilful again".

McIlroy also said the new rules will have a positive environmental impact, as the bigger golf courses currently being built need more water to maintain their greater acreage.

The PGA Tour and DP World Tour support the new rules, while three-time major winner Padraig Harrington has said they will make the game safer.

"I think everybody who plays golf would know of a golf course where there has been a hole closed or re-designed because it has become dangerous because people hit it too far," the 52-year-old told the BBC.

"When [people who hit it far] miss, they miss big. It is causing play to slow down, it's dangerous, it's expensive for golf courses to build more open and wider so people don't get hurt."

There has been some criticism of the change from some manufacturers and some players, such as two-time PGA Championship winner Justin Thomas. But Harrington says the criticism comes from those at the top of their game.

"Anybody who is successful doesn't want change," Harrington added. "If you are at the top, you never want to change - you want to keep it where it is, your winning formula.

"Golf is doing very well at the moment but the R&A needs to see the bigger picture."

It will not only make the game more skillful but I think that it will also make the game more watchable as well.

PGA Tour star Jon Rahm could be gearing up to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf​

Golf superstar Jon Rahm is gearing up to leave the PGA Tour for the Saudi-backed LIV Golf, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday, citing people familiar with the matter.

Rahm, who won the Masters in April and is ranked no.3 in the world, could announce the deal as soon as this week, the Journal added. The outlet cautioned that talks could still fall apart.

Such a move would be the latest blockbuster development in the long saga of the PGA Tour and LIV Golf. The two leagues face a Dec. 31 deadline to decide the fate of their proposed combination.

The golf world is rife with speculation that a deal with Rahm could be part of a strategy by LIV to pressure the PGA Tour into sign off on the merger. LIV Golf replied to CNBC’s request for comment with an automated message.

LIV has poached PGA players in the past for deals worth hundred of millions of dollar, such as Phil Mickelson. This has been a sticking point for other golfers in the sport. Rory McIlroy, the world’s no. 2 player, said in july that he would retire if LIV Golf was “the last place to play golf on earth.”

The PGA Tour declined to comment. An agency that has represented Rahm also declined to comment. Another firm representing Rahm didn’t immediately respond to a request.

Source: CNBC

Jon Rahm to LIV Golf: Spaniard confirms he is leaving PGA Tour to join Saudi-backed series

Masters champion Jon Rahm has become arguably LIV Golf's most significant signing for the 2024 season.

The world number three's decision to leave the PGA Tour for the Saudi-funded circuit represents a huge U-turn.

Rahm had previously ruled out joining LIV since its inaugural season in 2021.

"As you can see now it's official this is me finally saying after all the rumours, some of them were true, and I am officially joining LIV Golf," Rahm, 29, told Fox News.

"It's not an easy decision. I've had a very successful career and I'm happy.

"There are a lot of things that LIV Golf have to offer which were very enticing, starting with team golf."

Rahm is reportedly set earn upwards of £450m ($566.4m) as part of the deal but said he "can't comment" on the figure which was a "private business".

Basque-born Rahm said the money he was being offered by LIV was "great" but maintained that he does "not play golf for the money".

He continued: "I play golf for the love of the game and for the love of golf.

"But as a husband, as a father and as a family man I have a duty to them to give them the most amount of opportunities and the most amount of resources possible.

"Obviously, [money] is a factor and it's an important one in this decision. The love of the game and wanting to grow it in a global market. Being part of the team. Being a captain. Hopefully being a leader to team-mates. It makes me want to work harder than I have done now to actually prove myself.

"Hopefully some time in the future some kids in Spain will want to be part of this team that I am going to build. Hopefully it's something that I am related to for a very long time. Hopefully until the day I die. And I can make it something very special."

The bitterness in the west is off the charts. The chants about human rights are always present.

They better get used to it - more and more sport is going to the middle east and more and more big names will join too.

Europe will have to "rewrite the rules" for Ryder Cup eligibility after Masters champion Jon Rahm joined LIV Golf on Thursday, says Rory McIlroy.

World number three Rahm was unbeaten as Europe defeated the United States 16½-11½ to regain the Ryder Cup in Rome.

But his switch to join the Saudi-funded LIV tour has put his participation in the next edition in jeopardy.

"Jon is going to be in Bethpage [New York] in 2025," McIlroy told Sky Sports after Rahm's move was confirmed.

"Because of this decision, the European tour is going to have to rewrite the rules for Ryder Cup eligibility.

"There's absolutely no question about that - I certainly want Jon Rahm on the next Ryder Cup team."

Northern Ireland's McIlroy said earlier this year that no LIV players should be able to play for Europe at the Ryder Cup.

Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia were declared ineligible to play for Europe at the Ryder Cup after they resigned from the DP World Tour in May in the wake of being fined and banned for their involvement with LIV.

Under current rules, European players must be members of the DP World Tour - previously known as the European Tour - to be eligible to play.

BBC

Grant Thornton Invitational: Charley Hull & Justin Rose fall six shots off lead in PGA & LPGA Tour mixed event

England's Charley Hull and Justin Rose carded a second round of 72 as they fell six shots off the lead in the Grant Thornton Invitational in Florida.

The duo hit one birdie and one bogey as they went round in level par to stay on 14 under at the PGA & LPGA Tour mixed event.

New Zealand's Lydia Ko and Australia's Jason Day moved into the lead on 20 under by carding a second round 66.

America's overnight leaders Nelly Korda and Tony Finau (70) are on 18 under.

Ireland's Leona Maguire and American partner Lucas Glover are also on 18 under after they shot a second round of 69.

Lexi Thompson made a hole in one at the par-three 16th as she and fellow American Rickie Fowler shot 68 to go to 16 under.

Staged over three rounds at the Tiburon Golf Club from 8-10 December for a shared £3.5m ($4m) purse, the event features 16 mixed pairs.

The last mixed team event held by the PGA Tour and LPGA Tour was the 1999 JC Penney Classic.

Legends Tour: Peter Baker seals senior order of merit title in Mauritius

Former Ryder Cup player Peter Baker clinched the Legends Tour order of merit by winning a thrilling MCB Tour Championship at Belle Mare Plage.

Baker, 56, led Adilson da Silva by 264 points going into the finale but the Brazilian pushed the Englishman until the last hole of the season before he secured the MCB Race to Mauritius.

Baker made four birdies in his last six holes to card a third 67 of the week.

It sealed a one-stroke win in the event over Peter Fowler and Patrik Sjoland.

Baker, who won three points in the 1993 Ryder Cup, paid tribute to his long-time friend Ian Woosnam "for giving me a kick when it was needed" after he held his nerve to win the tournament and senior order of merit in Mauritius.

The South Staffordshire player and Da Silva were never more than a stroke apart on an enthralling final day that ended with the pair hitting their final drives of the season to within eight feet of each other.

Baker was a stroke in front and therefore held the advantage because his South Africa-based rival had to win the tournament and hope his rival did not finish second in order to claim the order of merit.

But the Englishman knew a wayward approach into the water that lines the right side and the back of the par-five 18th green on the Legends course would open the door for Da Silva if he could find an eagle.

However Baker nailed a five-wood to within six feet and he punched the air in a mixture of delight and relief as it cleared the water and settled on the green.

Da Silva smiled in wry fashion, knowing his chance had realistically gone - but still drilled his own approach to 20ft.

The 51-year-old raced his eagle putt past the hole and missed the one coming back, so signed for a 69 and a share of fourth place with Jean-Francois Remesy.

Baker trundled his short eagle putt up to the hole to make sure of the birdie finish that sealed the tournament success after a captivating final day in the Indian Ocean.

His dropped shots at the 5th and 8th were remarkably his only bogeys of the week at Belle Mare Plage despite being under extreme pressure.

Australian Fowler birdied the 6th on an otherwise quiet front nine, but then gained shots at the 12th, 14th, 17th and 18th as he closed with a 68.

Swede Sjoland ended his first season on the Legends Tour in style to pip Scotland's Greig Hutcheon to the Barry Lane Rookie of the Year title.

Alfred Dunhill Championship: Louis Oosthuizen wins first DP World Tour title in five years​

Louis Oosthuizen completed a two-shot victory at the Alfred Dunhill Championship for his 10th DP World Tour title and first in five years.

Play at Leopard Creek Country Club in Mpumalanga, South Africa, had been suspended on Sunday because of heavy rain and the threat of lightning.

When the final round resumed on Monday, Oosthuizen opened up a lead over fellow South African Charl Schwartzel.

Despite a nervy finish, he held on to win by two shots on 18 under.

Oosthuizen, the 2010 Open champion, bogeyed the 17th and then found water from the tee on the par-five 18th hole.

But the 41-year-old managed to hole a putt from more than 20 feet for par and card a three-under 69, while Schwartzel finished with back-to-back pars to sign for a 71.

"This is a tournament that I really wanted," said Oosthuizen, who plays on the LIV Golf tour.

"It took me a while. It's always a great place coming back to. I wouldn't say 18 was kind to me this time, but I managed it a little bit, maybe not on the last hole there but I got it through."

South African Christiaan Bezuidenhout finished third on 14 under and England's Marco Penge came in tied fourth with Germany's Matti Schmid and Dutchman Darius van Driel.

Congrats to him. With his game, he should've won more than a single DP world tour title in the last five years.

Grant Thornton Invitational: Lydia Ko & Jason Day hold on to win inaugural mixed event​

New Zealand's Lydia Ko birdied the 17th hole and had a tap-in par on the last as she and Australian Jason Day won the inaugural Grant Thornton Invitational.

Ko and Day posted their second straight round of 66 on Sunday to finish at 26 under for the three-day mixed PGA and LPGA teams event.

They held on for victory after entering the final round with a two-stroke lead.

Canadian pair Brooke Henderson and Corey Conners finished a shot further back at Tiburon Golf Club in Florida.

Swedish partners Madelene Sagstrom and Ludvig Aberg were third at 24 under after firing a final-round 60, with 10 birdies and a late eagle, but Ko and Day stayed clear by combining for a six-under-par finish.

"It felt like the most stress-free win because I just knew [Ko] was going to step up in the end, which was fantastic," said Day.

"It was a fun week. I think having the two tours join this week was a fun way to finish the year out."

Staged over three rounds for a shared £3.5m ($4m) purse, the event featured 16 mixed pairs.

Sunday's round was a modified fourball in which both team-mates teed off, then switched balls for their second shots and played that ball the rest of the hole.

"I learned a lot, whether it was short-sided chips or just how to commit and hit bombs down there," added Ko.

"I think this has just been a great start for the two tours coming together and having a mixed event, and I really hope this is something that continues for a long time."

The English pairing of Justin Rose and Charley Hull finished joint ninth on 20 under.

The last mixed team event held by the PGA Tour and LPGA Tour was the 1999 JC Penney Classic.

I usually enjoy watching these mixed events. Congrats to Ko and Day on their victory.

Jon Rahm's move to LIV Golf will make 'more apples fall from the tree', says chief Greg Norman

LIV Golf chief executive Greg Norman says there will be "more apples falling from the tree" following Jon Rahm's decision to join the Saudi-funded tour.

Rahm announced he would be leaving the PGA Tour for LIV earlier this month.

The move represented a huge U-turn for the two-time major winner, who had previously ruled out joining LIV since its inaugural season in 2022.

"To have Jon on board was critically important to our future and what we want to do," Norman said.

Speaking to World Business Report, Norman added: "It will create a domino effect, there will be more apples falling from the tree - no question about it, because LIV continues to develop."

Rahm, 29, said in 2022 that LIV's three-day events, with shotgun starts and no cut, were "not appealing" and he was chasing a golfing legacy over money.

However, the Spaniard now joins other major winners on the breakaway tour including Brooks Koepka, who won this year's US PGA Championship, 2022 Open champion Cam Smith and six-time major winner Phil Mickelson.

Rahm is reportedly set to earn upwards of £450m ($566.4m) as part of his switch.

Norman said Rahm's move has caused other players to consider signing for LIV.

"Since Jon signed, less than a week ago now, I know my phone is blowing up," Norman said.

"I know we probably have eight to 12 players who are very, very keen to sit down and talk to us about coming on board."

However, Norman said he has not tried to get world number two Rory McIlroy, a staunch opponent of LIV, on board.

Critics say Saudi Arabia's unprecedented spending on sport has been used to improve the oil-producing kingdom's reputation over its human rights record and its environmental impact.

Earlier this month, Saudi Arabia's sports minister said claims of sportswashing against the country are "very shallow".

Australian Norman, a two-time major winner, said Saudi Arabia "really cares" about golf, adding that the animosity LIV has faced since its inception has been "disappointing".

"If you see the way they're embracing the game of golf, they're investing in the game of golf in their country for their people into the future," he said.

Reuters reported on Wednesday that 21 golfers playing for the PGA Tour have written a letter demanding more information about the organisation's future.

In June 2023, the PGA and DP World Tours announced they had a "framework agreement" to merge with the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund (PIF), which has pledged $2bn (£1.6bn) of support to LIV.

That agreement has a deadline of 31 December 2023 to be ratified, although the American government is examining the PGA Tour's plans to take massive investment from Saudi Arabia.

Norman said he did not believe the merger would fall through, adding golf has been recognised as an asset because of LIV.

Mauritius Open: Louis Oosthuizen completes back-to-back DP World Tour wins

Louis Oosthuizen completed back-to-back wins on the DP World Tour with a two-shot victory at the Mauritius Open on Sunday.

His success came at the new La Reserve Golf Club, a course the 41-year-old South African helped to design.

Last week, the former Open champion won the Alfred Dunhill Championship at Leopard Creek for his first tournament triumph in five years.

"I'm glad I could pull this off this week," he said after winning again.

"It's sort of a dream come true, being able to play a tournament on a golf course you helped design and end up winning it.

"Golf is the strangest thing. The last five weeks I've not done a lot with golf, I've played a few rounds and when I got to Leopard Creek I was working on a small little thing.

"I started hitting it really good and I know I'm putting well and then I just carried on with that momentum."

Oosthuizen started out on Sunday with a one-shot lead, but bogeys on the fourth and fifth holes meant he was two over for the round early on.

He regained his rhythm and managed six birdies, including on the par-five last hole, to post a round of 69 and finish two shots ahead of England's Laurie Canter.

England's Daniel Brown finished another shot back alongside Swede Sebastian Soderberg and South African Jacques P de Villiers.

Oosthuizen's win means that players from LIV Golf have won five of the first six events in the new DP World Tour season.

Tiger Woods still believes he can win on PGA Tour

Tiger Woods believes he can still win on the PGA Tour but will only play one event per month in 2024 as he continues his recovery from ankle surgery.

The 15-time major champion has had a limited schedule since suffering a leg injury in a car crash in 2021.

He carded a final-round 61 alongside his 14-year-old son Charlie at the PNC Championship in Orlando on Sunday.

"If I'm able to practise and do the things I know I can do, and prepare, I know I can still do it," Woods said.

"I can still hit the golf ball. It's just a matter of prepping and get enough reps in and get enough work in and being right physically, and the endurance capability of it.

"I haven't had the leg good enough where I've been able to compete and play a lot of rounds.

"I can still hit the golf ball. I can still chip. I can still putt.

"Granted it's also putting it all together for 72 holes. That's the challenging part of it."

Woods' last win on the PGA Tour was at the 2019 Zozo Championship in Japan, which saw him equal Sam Snead's record of 82 Tour victories.

He made his latest injury comeback at the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas earlier this month, having withdrawn during the Masters in April before having ankle fusion surgery.

The American says his ankle continues to hold up well, though he was able to use a golf cart at the PNC Championship, something he is not allowed to do on the PGA Tour.

"A lot of things are aching a lot more than my ankle, which is the way it goes," said Woods, who turns 48 on 30 December.

"We've been working out hard, been able to recover. We've been training every day, which is great.

"It's been nice to knock off a lot of the rust and some of the doubt that I've had because, quite frankly, I haven't hit a shot that counted in a long time."

As well as playing alongside son Charlie, Woods' 16-year-old daughter Sam was caddying at the Ritz Carlton Golf Club as Team Woods finished tied for fifth at the 36-hole event formerly known as the Father/Son Challenge.

"To have both my kids out there the last two days has been so special," added Woods.

"Just grateful for us to be able to have these types of experiences."

The tournament was won by Germany's two-time Masters champion Bernhard Langer, 66, and his son Jason.

NI Open: Galgorm Castle to host Challenge Tour event in 2024

Galgorm Castle Golf Club is to host the Northern Ireland Open in July 2024.

The 25-28 July tournament will be one of 29 which will form the European Challenge Tour's Road to Mallorca schedule, staged across three continents and 18 different countries.

The event returns to the Challenge Tour schedule for the first time since 2020.

The Ballymena parkland course has hosted the Irish Open and the ISPS Handa World Invitational on the DP World Tour in recent years.

Galgorm Castle staged six NI Opens on the Challenge Tour from 2013 to 2018 and a seventh in 2020 as part of the resumption of professional golf in Europe during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Former winners include 2023 DP World Tour Golfer of the Year, Ryan Fox from New Zealand, who triumphed at the county Antrim course in 2016.

American Tyler Koivisto was the victor the last time the NI Open was held at Galgorm as part of the Challenge Tour in 2020.

The Junior NI Open will also be part of the event.

BBC

Angel Cabrera reinstated by PGA Tour following two-year prison sentence for gender violence

Angel Cabrera has been reinstated to the PGA Tour and PGA Tour Champions following a two-year prison sentence for gender violence.

In a letter obtained by Golf Digest, Cabrera was notified by Andy Levinson, senior vice president of the tour, on Dec. 18 that his suspension had been lifted effective immediately. “Failure to comply with the terms of your release from prison or any additional information regarding your legal situation in Argentina may result in the immediate reinstatement of your suspension,” Levinson wrote.

Cabrera, 54, was convicted in July 2021 in an Argentine court of assaulting, threatening and harassing Cecilia Torres Mana, who was Cabrera’s partner between 2016 and 2018. He was arrested in Rio de Janeiro in January of that year on charges of assault, theft, illegal intimidation and repeated disrespect to authorities and had been on Interpol’s “red code” list, which is used to seek the location and arrest of a person wanted by a legal jurisdiction or an international tribunal with a view to his or her extradition. Cabrera had been sought by authorities in a separate Argentine case involving assault claims filed by Torres Mana, and her case was joined by Cabrera’s former wife, Silva Rivadero, and another former partner Micaela Escudero.

Cabrera is widely considered the best golfer Argentina has produced, winning the 2007 U.S. Open at Oakmont and the 2009 Masters. He also finished runner-up at Augusta National in 2013, losing to Adam Scott in a playoff. He is credited with 52 official global wins and four Presidents Cup appearances. He made nine starts on the PGA Tour Champions in 2020, his last outing in September at the Pure Insurance Championship.

Source : Gulf Digest

Jon Rahm to LIV Golf: Shane Lowry 'not surprised by anything' after Spaniard's move

Shane Lowry has said he is "not surprised by anything that happens at the minute" as he discussed Ryder Cup team-mate Jon Rahm's decision to leave the PGA Tour for LIV Golf.

World number three Rahm joined the Saudi-funded tour earlier this month.

Before Rahm's move, the Masters champion and Ireland's Lowry helped Europe regain the Ryder Cup in Rome.

Lowry said: "It had been rumoured for a while so there's no smoke without fire, is there?

"We weren't too surprised in the end, but I'm not surprised by anything that happens at the minute."

Spain's Rahm had previously ruled out joining LIV after the PGA Tour's rival circuit launched in 2022.

The 29-year-old will reportedly earn upwards of £450m ($570m) as part of his deal, but while the two-time major winner's departure represents a significant blow for the PGA Tour, Lowry remains hopeful the fractured landscape in men's professional golf will soon be a thing of the past.

In June, the PGA and DP World Tours announced they had a 'framework agreement' to merge with the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund (PIF), which has pledged $2bn (£1.6bn) of support to LIV.

However, the agreement has a deadline of 31 December to be ratified, with the American government examining the PGA Tour's plans to take massive investment from Saudi Arabia.

"'Hopeful' is the word I'd use," said 2019 Open champion Lowry when asked about what the future of the men's game looks like.

"I mean, I'm not involved in anything. I just try to worry about my own thing and get on with my own game.

"But I'd be very hopeful that at some stage in the near future we will be back playing the same tournaments together and I think that's what the world of golf needs."

LIV Golf: Merger talks between PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia's PIF to continue in 2024​

Talks between the PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) over a potential merger will continue into 2024.

They failed to reach agreement by the deadline of 31 December 2023.

Negotiations between the PGA Tour and the PIF, which funds LIV Golf, began in June in an attempt to end a split in the game.

The emergence of the LIV circuit fractured men's professional golf over the past year.

Several top players were lured by its huge prize funds and no-cut events, which include a team format.

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said in a memo sent to players on Sunday that there had been "meaningful progress" with the discussions.

A statement on the PGA Tour website added that parties are "currently working toward finalisation of terms and drafting necessary documents".

No future deadline was given by the PGA Tour for the talks to conclude but Monahan said discussions were "active and productive".

The PGA wants to include the PIF, DP World Tour (formerly the European Tour) and the Strategic Sports Group (SSG) as minority co-investors in a for-profit venture called PGA Tour Enterprises.

SSG is a consortium of US-based professional sports team investors led by Fenway Sports Group, owners of Premier League football club Liverpool and the Boston Red Sox baseball team.

In June 2023 the PGA and DP World Tours announced they had a 'framework agreement' for the merger with PIF, which has pledged $2bn (£1.6bn) of support to LIV.

Monahan added: "These partnerships will allow us to unify, innovate and invest in the game for the benefit of the players, fans and sponsors."

In December Jon Rahm became the most high-profile player to leave the PGA Tour for the Saudi-funded circuit.

The two-time major winner was reportedly set to earn upwards of £450m ($566.4m) as part of the deal to join LIV Golf, but said he hoped to retain memberships for the PGA and DP World Tour.

Rahm joined several other major winners at LIV, including Brooks Koepka, who won the 2023 US PGA Championship, 2022 Open champion Cam Smith and six-time major winner Phil Mickelson.

The Saudi investment in almost every sport is increasing all the time.

World number one Scottie Scheffler has been voted the PGA Tour Player of the Year for the second consecutive season.

Scheffler is the first back-to-back winner of the Jack Nicklaus Award since Tiger Woods won three times in a row from 2005-2007.

The PGA Tour said the 27-year-old American received 38% of the vote.

Scheffler successfully defended his Phoenix Open title and won the Players Championship by five shots during the 2022-23 campaign.

Wyndham Clark, Viktor Hovland, Jon Rahm and Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy were also nominated.

In 23 starts, 2022 Masters champion Scheffler finished in the top five 13 times.

He also set a new PGA Tour record for the most official money earned in a single season at £16.5m, breaking his own record of $11m set in 2022.

BBC

LIV Golf chief executive Greg Norman says Rory McIlroy's softened stance on the Saudi-funded tour is a "significant turning point" for the sport.

The world number two has been a staunch opponent of LIV, which has recruited high-profile players and fractured golf.

However, McIlroy said on Wednesday that he would be open to play in a tournament backed by LIV Golf.

Norman said he appreciated McIlroy "falling on his sword".

Speaking on LIV's 'Fairway to Heaven' podcast on Thursday, Norman said: "The reason I say I appreciate Rory falling on his sword, to some degree, is the fact that he did judge us by not knowing the facts.

"He judged us on other people's thoughts and opinions.

"So, I say, 'hey, thank you Rory'. We all knew it was going to work within the golf ecosystem. We all wanted to be there, we are going to be there - he said that. To me, this is a hugely significant turning point for everybody."

Merger talks between the PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF), which funds LIV, will continue in 2024 in an attempt to end a split in the game.

Four-time major-winner McIlroy previously said he would retire "if LIV Golf was the last place to play golf on earth".

Court documents revealed last year that McIlroy and American Tiger Woods could have been offered ownership of LIV team franchises as part of the proposed peace deal between the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and PIF.

On Wednesday, the Northern Irishman told the Stick to Football Podcast he had "accepted" LIV is "part of our sport now".

Less than a month after his Ryder Cup team-mate Jon Rahm joined the Saudi-backed series, McIlroy said he regrets being "too judgemental" of players who joined LIV when the circuit was first introduced in 2022.

BBC

Tiger Woods, Nike end partnership after more than 27 years​

Tiger Woods has gone from “Hello, world,” to saying goodbye to Nike.

Woods ended months of speculation by making it official Monday that the partnership between golf's biggest star and the powerful Swoosh brand is ending after 27 years, a move that raises questions about the future of both in the sport.

Woods in a social media post thanked Nike co-founder Phil Knight for his “passion and vision” that brought them together when he turned pro.

“Over 27 years ago, I was fortunate to start a partnership with one of the most iconic brands in the world," Woods wrote. “The days since have been filled with so many amazing moments and memories, if I started naming them, I could go on forever.”

Mark Steinberg, his agent at Excel Sports, confirmed the end of the deal that began in 1996 when Woods turned pro after winning his third straight U.S. Amateur.

“I guess, hello world, huh?” a 20-year-old Woods said at the Greater Milwaukee Open.

Nike launched a “Hello, World” campaign two days later, and Woods lived up to the hype. Within eight months, he already had four wins, including the watershed Masters victory that made him the first golfer of Black heritage to win a major.

“It was time for the next chapter,” Steinberg told The Associated Press. “Amazing run. Great partnership.”

Nike also posted to social media, saying in a photo, "It was a hell of a round, Tiger.”

“Tiger, you challenged your competition, stereotypes, conventions, the old school way of thinking," the Nike post was captioned. “You challenged the entire institution of golf. You challenged us. And most of all, yourself. And for that challenge we’re grateful.”

Woods signed a five-year deal worth $40 million when he turned pro. It was shocking money at the time to most in the industry except Nike, and his father.

“Chump change,” the late Earl Woods once said, and he was proven correct. Woods renewed the deal believed to be worth over $100 million in 2001. His eight-year deal in 2006 was reported to be $160 million, and his latest deal was signed in 2013 for a reported $200 million.

As recognizable as any athlete in the world, Woods became the face of Nike Golf and had his own “TW” brand.

On the golf course, Woods set records as the youngest to win the Grand Slam at age 24, the only player to hold all four major titles at the same time and his 15-shot win at the U.S. Open, the largest margin for a major in golf history.

But there were signs in recent years of a fractured relationship. Woods returned from his February 2021 car crash that shattered bones in his right leg by wearing FootJoy shoes, saying it was a better feel considering his injuries.

Woods remained in them — Nike has a long history making shoes — even until the PNC Championship last month that he played with his son.

When asked about his deal with Nike, Woods replied, "I'm still wearing their product,” and sternly repeated the phrase when asked if this was the end of his deal.

More than just a face, Woods unwittingly delivered big moments for Nike, none greater than his 2005 Masters victory when he hit a pitch from below the 16th green that went up the slope and then rolled back toward the hole. The ball hung on the edge for a full second — the swoosh in full view — before it dropped. It remains one of the most famous moments in golf's most-watched tournament.

He also was filming a commercial one year when between takes, Woods began bouncing the golf ball off his club. That led to a spot where he bounced the ball off the club, between his legs, behind his back, before hitting the ball in mid-air.

“Throughout the course of our partnership, we have witnessed along with the rest of the world, how Tiger not only redefined the sport of golf, but broke barriers for all of sport,” Nike said in a statement. "We watched him set records, challenge conventional thinking and inspire generations of people around the globe. We are grateful to have been a part of it. We wish him the best in the future.”

Woods has won 15 majors, second only to Jack Nicklaus (18), and his 82 career PGA Tour victories are tied with Sam Snead. But he has been slowed in recent years by five back surgeries, shattered ligaments in his rebuilt left knee, the 2021 car crash and age. He turned 48 at the end of last year.

Nike stood by him when his personal life imploded in 2009 over extramarital affairs, and when his schedule was reduced greatly because of leg and back injuries. Woods remarkably returned from fusion surgery to win the Masters in 2019, his fifth green jacket.

Nike also has shown signs of slowing its golf business. It decided to get out of the hard goods business in 2016, sending Woods to play different clubs and a different golf ball.

Nike, meanwhile, said in a recent earnings call it planed to cut $2 billion over the next three years, raising questions about how much it would remain invested in golf.

The company still has a stable of golfers wearing its apparel — including Scottie Scheffler, the world's No. 1 player who wears a “TW” brand shoe — and Rory McIlroy and Nelly Korda. Jason Day, a former No. 1 player, did not renew his deal this year and switched to a different apparel company.

Woods has been optimistic that he can play once a month in 2024, which likely is to start at the Genesis Invitational in Los Angeles next month.

Steinberg said he was working on a new deal and that “I anticipate there could be an exciting announcement” at the Genesis Invitational.

Woods indicated the same.

“People will ask if there is another chapter,” Woods wrote in his post. “Yes, there will certainly be another chapter. See you in LA!”

Gary Woodland: Former US Open champion to return after brain surgery

Former US Open champion Gary Woodland says he wants to "jump-start" his career as he returns to the sport after surgery to remove a brain tumour.

The American, who won the 2019 US Open at Pebble Beach, was diagnosed in May last year and had surgery in September.

Woodland, 39, will play at the Sony Open in Hawaii on Thursday, his first appearance since August.

"I don't want this to be a bump in the road for me. I want it to be a jump-start in my career," Woodland said.

"You can overcome tough, scary decisions in your life. Not everything is easy. This came out of nowhere for me, but I'm not going to let it stop me.

"At the end of the day, I'm here because I believe this is what I've been born to do, play great golf. I want to do that again. It's been a while.

"Nothing is going to stop me. I believe that. I believe a lot of great things are ahead."

Woodland said he has an MRI scan every three months and "everything came back well" from his most recent examination.

He began to experience symptoms shortly after last year's Masters but continued to play on the PGA Tour while on medication.

"I just wasn't feeling like myself. It was a lot of jolting, especially in the middle of the night. Shaking; hands were really tremoring," he said, describing his symptoms.

"A lot of fear. I was very fear-driven every day, mostly around death. As it got worse, loss of appetite, chills, no energy."

A specialist told Woodland he had been experiencing partial seizures.

The four-time PGA Tour winner played in 24 events in 2023, finishing in the top 10 on two occasions, but was eventually encouraged to undergo surgery to remove the tumour.

"My caddie pulled me aside [and told me] you can't play this way," Woodland said. "You've got to go get help. You've got to get fixed. I would be standing over a club and forget which club I'm hitting.

"I would be lining up putts and think, this is taking too long. I'm just going to hit it. I didn't have the focus or the energy."

BBC

Rory McIlroy: World number two cards superb 62 to lead Dubai Invitational

Rory McIlroy began his 2024 season in superb fashion as he carded a bogey-free 62 to set the early pace at the inaugural Dubai Invitational.

World number two McIlroy hit nine birdies to lead on nine under, two clear of Germany's Yannik Paul.

England's Tommy Fleetwood finished with a birdie to card a bogey-free five-under 66.

Nicolai Hojgaard, McIlroy and Fleetwood's European Ryder Cup team-mate, is five back after a 67.

Starting on the 10th hole at Dubai Creek Resort, McIlroy picked up two birdies in his opening six holes before reeling off five in six from the 17th to the fourth.

The four-time major winner closed out his round with further birdies at the seventh and ninth.

Speaking to Sky Sports after his round, McIlroy said "I surprised myself a little bit" with how well he played.

"I didn't expect that," said McIlroy.

"It didn't feel quite as good as that the first couple of days when I was here hitting balls and playing the course but it was nice to get a card in the hand again and feel the competitive juices flowing.

"I surprised myself a little bit but hopefully more of the same over the next few days."

The five-time Race to Dubai winner added: "These pro-ams, I'm usually playing with my dad or this week with the tournament host, so there's maybe a bit of added pressure.

"But it's an easy week to get back into things and this is a nice week to do some extra practice so that I feel ready, not just for next week, which is obviously a bigger event [the Dubai Desert Classic], but going into the bulk of the season."

The Dubai Invitational consists of 60 professionals and 60 amateurs. The 72-hole individual strokeplay tournament is played concurrently with a 54-hole pro-am team event, which runs from Thursday to Saturday.

There is no cut in the 72-hole pro event.

McIlroy, who is playing for the first time since November, will remain in the Middle East next week to defend his Dubai Desert Classic title.

BBC

Rory McIlroy: World number two retains Dubai Invitational lead despite quadruple bogey

Rory McIlroy holds a two-shot lead at the halfway stage of the Dubai Invitational after recovering from a quadruple bogey in his second round.

Leading by two after round one, the Northern Irishman picked up two shots but carded a seven at the par-three eighth after finding the water twice.

Three birdies on the back nine saw him post a one-under 70 and lead Germany's Yannik Paul and Denmark's Jeff Winther.

England's Tommy Fleetwood shot a 69 and is three shots adrift in joint fourth.

"If I look at the other 17 holes, I played very, very well again," said four-time major winner McIlroy, who birdied the 10th, 13th and 15th holes to remain on course to start his year with a win.

"I hit some good iron shots and maybe holed a couple more putts yesterday but the conditions are getting trickier.

"The wind was up, the greens are firm and I had a couple of miscues on the eighth. I felt like I did well to get my head back into it and play some solid golf on the way in."

Fleetwood, who started the day on five under, slipped to four under before picking up shots on three of his last six holes to remain in the hunt alongside fellow Englishman Jordan Smith.

Denmark's Thorbjorn Olesen is also on seven under, one shot ahead of fellow countryman Rasmus Hojgaard, whose twin brother Nicolai Hojgaard lost ground after carding a 71.

The Dubai Invitational consists of 60 professionals and 60 amateurs. The 72-hole individual strokeplay tournament is played concurrently with a 54-hole pro-am team event, which runs from Thursday to Saturday.

There is no cut in the 72-hole pro event.

McIlroy, who is playing for the first time since November, will remain in the Middle East next week to defend his Dubai Desert Classic title.

BBC

Dubai Invitational: Tommy Fleetwood leads Rory McIlroy by one after shooting third-round 63​

England's Tommy Fleetwood leads Rory McIlroy by one shot after firing an eight-under-par 63 in the third round of the Dubai Invitational on Saturday.

World number 15 Fleetwood carded eight birdies in a bogey-free round to move top of the leaderboard on 15 under.

McIlroy, who led by two after both of the opening rounds, posted five birdies and one bogey in his 67 on day three.

Dane Thorbjoern Olesen is three off the lead, with Zander Lombard, Thriston Lawrence and Jordan Smith on 11 under.

Fleetwood picked up four shots on his front nine at the first, third, fourth and sixth holes and followed that up with birdies on 10, 12, 13 and 14 on the back nine.

The European Ryder Cup player goes into the final round of a 72-hole DP World Tour event in the lead for the first time since 2014.

"I played very well, got off to the perfect start and was able to build some momentum," the English golfer told Sky Sports after his round.

"I read the greens well, got that confidence going, that rhythm and that flow. You pick up that confidence when you start holing a few putts."

Fleetwood trailed McIlroy by three shots ahead of the third round at the Dubai Creek Resort, the Northern Irishman having set the halfway benchmark on 10 under despite recording a quadruple bogey seven at the par-three eighth on Friday.

Four-time major winner McIlroy registered a birdie at the fourth on Saturday, but gave a shot back at the fifth with a bogey.

Further birdies at the 11th, 12th, 13th and 16th saw him maintain his challenge and set up a final day pairing with Fleetwood.

"I'm definitely well in it. I felt I did ok, had a bit of a slow start, but got things going on the back nine to try and keep up with Tommy," commented McIlroy on Sky Sports.

"I played well on the back nine and I'm looking forward to Sunday, the buzz and the pressure of trying to win a golf tournament.

"I feel I've been playing pretty well, so I just need one more good day."

The event consists of 60 professionals and 60 amateurs, with only the professionals playing the final 18 holes.

World number two McIlroy, who is playing for the first time since November, will remain in the Middle East next week to defend his Dubai Desert Classic title.

Dubai Invitational: Tommy Fleetwood edges Rory McIlroy to clinch Dubai victory

Tommy Fleetwood birdied the final two holes to win the Dubai Invitational by one shot from Rory McIlroy and Thriston Lawrence on Sunday.

It was a rollercoaster round from McIlroy, who led by a shot going into the last hole but hooked into the water and carded a bogey.

Overnight leader Fleetwood capitalised as he drained his birdie putt to post a four-under 67 and finish on 19 under.

South Africa's Lawrence set the clubhouse target after a superb 64.

Englishman Fleetwood held a one-shot lead over world number two McIlroy going into the final round and extended his advantage to three after the opening 10 holes.

McIlroy, who also found water on the front nine, birdied the 11th, 12th and 13th to go level with Fleetwood but faltered on the 14th green with a three-putt bogey from just three feet.

The four-time major winner bounced back with an excellent birdie on 15 and moved in front when Fleetwood dropped a shot at the next hole.

Both player birdied the 17th but McIlroy hooked his drive left at the final hole and could only manage a bogey.

BBC

PGA Tour realise global growth key for golf's future, says outgoing DP World Tour boss Keith Pelley

Soon to depart DP World Tour boss Keith Pelley believes US tour officials are finally prepared to accept the idea that an international approach is the best way to solve golf's civil war.

Pelley will leave his role as chief executive of the European Tour Group in early April to run sporting franchises in his home city of Toronto. Before he departs, the Canadian is confident a deal to stabilise professional golf's future will be found.

And he believes the way forward must be worldwide. This would mean the American PGA Tour ditching its long perceived US-centric philosophy and be prepared play some of its biggest tournaments in far flung locations.

"I think the growth of the game is global," Pelley told reporters here at the Hero Dubai Desert Classic. "That's where the focus needs to be."

He pointed to the deal which will bring in $3.5billion (£2.7bn) investment from the Strategic Sports Group which includes the Fenway organisation that owns Liverpool football club and the Boston Red Sox baseball team.

"They understand the importance of global. PIF (Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund) certainly understands the importance of being global," he said.

Talks are under way to conclude an agreement with PIF, which finances the breakaway LIV Tour that lured a number of high profile departures from the American and European circuits, including Masters champion Jon Rahm at the end of last year.

"Every business now that is growing wants to be global," he said. "You see that here in Dubai. What I would like to see is the game becoming unified with a global strategy."

Tellingly, Pelley suggested that the PGA Tour is finally coming round to the sort of international schedule that Rory McIlroy says is vital to the future of the game.

McIlroy wants events such as the Australian and South African Opens to become key destinations in a unified calendar.

"I think the PGA Tour is coming to the realisation that global is the key for the growth," Pelley stated. "They have heard me say it once or twice."

There remain more questions than answers as to how this might manifest itself, but Pelley is confident the future will look a lot clearer by the time he leaves his post in April.

"I think we will certainly have a direction of travel by then," he said. "The conversations have heated up since Ryder Cup. We expected that.

"I think there's a will from all parties. You bring in somebody like FSG (Fenway), which is now SSG, with powerful players like Steve Cohen (billionaire owner of the New York Mets). And then I think there's a willingness with PIF, and there's certainly a willingness with us.

"If we can come together, then I think it's pretty exciting for the game."

He admits that the framework agreement announced on 6 June, 2023 between the PGA and DP World Tours and PIF was widely misinterpreted. "It was to unify the game," Pelley said.

"Unfortunately after that framework agreement, some of the top players in the United States didn't support it, which we needed them to support. I think they are realising now that the best way forward is to unify the game."

Pelley's nine years leading the Wentworth-based tour have been eventful to say the least. He came into the job aiming to make the European Tour a viable rival to their American counterparts.

But he needed to change its business model, buying back a 50% share of their media operation in 2017 from the International Management Group (IMG) so that the tour wholly owned European Tour Productions.

Ultimately, 40% of that company moved into the hands of the PGA Tour as part of the 'strategic alliance' that was struck between the world's two biggest golf tours.

As part of that deal, the leading 10 players on the DP World Tour are handed cards to play in the US the following year. It was a controversial move, with some observers suggesting Europe were giving away their biggest talents.

Pelley continues to vehemently defend the move, stating that he acted in the best interests of his organisation's 486 members. "It's impossible to make them all happy," he admitted.

The formalised partnership with the PGA Tour was crucial in ensuring the European Tour - rebranded as the DP World Tour under Pelley's leadership - survived the Covid pandemic.

One of his most significant contributions during his tenure was creating a 38-tournament schedule in a period when global sport and travel were savagely hit by the impact of the coronavirus.

Now the imperative it to stage tournaments where the best players compete against the best on a more regular basis. Whether that means LIV players returning to the establishment fold remains to be seen.

The men's professional game is confronted by very complex issues, but Pelley feels sure one of the solutions will be to make sure pro golfers turn up to the biggest tour events and not just the majors.

"I used to run the Toronto Blue Jays, and we had a short stop by the name of Jose Reyes," Pelley said, trying to illustrate the point. "Jose never once came up to me and said: 'I'm not playing in the Baltimore series' or, 'I'm not going to play in Philadelphia because I'm going to go away with my family for the weekend'.

"There is no question that that is one of the biggest challenges that the game faces, top players playing with top players more, and that's where we're moving towards."

BBC

Dubai Desert Classic: Cameron Young pulls clear with defending champion Rory McIlroy off the pace​

American Cameron Young shot an eight-under 64 to pull three strokes clear at the halfway stage of the Dubai Desert Classic with defending champion Rory McIlroy well off the pace.

Young, made nine birdies and a solitary bogey as he added to his opening 67 to reach 13 under par overall.

England's Andy Sullivan and Poland's Adrian Meronk are his nearest challengers at 10 under.

McIlroy, a three-time winner of the event, is 10 shots adrift of Young.

The Northern Irishman recorded five birdies in his second round but was left to rue dropped shots at the the eighth, ninth and eleventh holes.

Meanwhile, world number 25, Young, who is chasing a first victory on both the PGA Tour and DP World Tour, said: "I putted fantastic. I made a couple of long ones yesterday and then made a few more today that had no right going in.

"I hit a bunch of good putts, but just one of those days where you kind of have a couple of 30-footers and you look up and they are going right in the middle, which doesn't happen all that often to have a bunch of them in one round.

"I'm doing a really good job of staying out of my own way. I realised it was going well early, but the back nine, at the same time, it feels like you should do that to some extent, especially in the morning with not much wind."

Meronk, who won three times on the DP World Tour last year and was voted player of the year by his peers, registered three birdies on the front and three on back nine as he carded a six-under 66, while Sullivan's returned a second successive 67.

Dubai Invitational winner Tommy Fleetwood celebrated his 33rd birthday with a 70 to finish at five under overall, three shots ahead of his compatriot Tyrell Hatton and Europe's Ryder Cup captain Luke Donald.

Source : BBC Sports

Jack Burke Jr: Two-time major winner dies at the age of 100

Two-time major winner Jack Burke Jr has died at the age of 100, the United States Golf Association has announced.

The American staged the biggest final-round fightback in Masters history when he triumphed from being eight strokes adrift in 1956, the year he also won the US PGA Championship.

Burke, who had been the oldest living Masters champion, is regarded as one of the best golfers of the 1950s.

The last of his 16 PGA Tour wins came in 1963.

Texas-born Burke also had a 7-1 record in his five Ryder Cup starts, captaining a US team that included Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Arnold Palmer and Billy Casper to victory over Great Britain and Ireland in 1973.

BBC

Rory McIlroy fights back in third round of Dubai Desert Classic to close in on Cameron Young​

Rory McIlroy produced a superb bogey-free third round to leap up the leaderboard to joint-second at the Hero Dubai Desert Classic as he shot a 63 to close within two shots of leader Cameron Young.

McIlroy came into the day tied 24th and 10 shots behind Young but his nine under on Saturday changed everything as the American only scored one under.

The three-time winner of the event in Dubai made seven birdies and finished off his round with a stunning eagle to the delight of the crowd.

At one point McIlroy was top of the leaderboard as Young struggled on the front nine, making just one birdie and was left frustrated after a double bogey and bogey on the seventh and eighth.

McIlroy birdied the three toughest holes: the seventh, eight and ninth, which underlined his confidence after two difficult days in Dubai.

Young limited the damage though with three birdies on the back nine to take a two-shot advantage into Sunday. The day was all about McIlroy though, which ended with a brilliant eagle.

"I was walking up with the putter in my hand but then I thought I sort of want to chip it. The line wasn't great, so I thought I would ride my luck with the putter and it came out perfectly," said McIlroy.

"It wasn't as fast as I thought it would be once it got on the green but it was tracking perfectly. A huge bonus for something like that to go in."

Last week, McIlroy narrowly lost to Tommy Fleetwood in the Dubai Invitational by one shot after a dramatic final hole.

McIlroy has given himself a big chance of becoming the first player to win the Dubai Desert Classic four times and admits it would be "amazing" if he can continue his "fantastic" golf going into the final round.

"I played some very, very good golf, definitely better than I played the last couple of days and it's nice to get myself right back in the tournament," he added.

"I thought if I could play the front nine better, I played it scrappily the last couple days. For me the key to this golf course is that front nine because it's the tougher nine and if you can play that well, you give yourself a tonne of momentum going into the more scorable back nine."

McIlroy, who won his first professional tournament at this event 15 years ago, is tied on 12 under overall with Poland's Adrian Meronk, who had a round of 70.

Rasmus Hojgaard and Li Haotong are five shots off leader Young, with Joaquin Niemann in sixth and Thorbjorn Olesen tied in seventh along with England's Tommy Fleetwood and Alex Fitzpatrick on seven under.

Source: SKY

Rory McIlroy defended his title at the Dubai Desert Classic after beating Poland's Adrian Meronk by one shot.

The 34-year-old Northern Irishman made par at the last to card a two-under 70, finishing on 14 under to win the tournament for a record fourth time.

American Cameron Young, the overnight leader, was third, two shots back, following his two-over 74.

McIlroy's victory followed his second-placed finish in the Dubai Invitational the previous weekend.

BBC

Nick Dunlap held his nerve to become the first amateur to win a PGA Tour event since Phil Mickelson in 1991.

The 20-year-old holed a six-foot par putt on the last to claim The American Express title by one shot from South Africa's Christiaan Bezuidenhout.

Because he is an amateur, the American will not receive any prize money, with the $1.5m (£1.2m) winner's cheque going to Bezuidenhout.

"It's so cool to be experiencing this as an amateur," said Dunlap.

"Whether I made or missed that, if you had told me come Wednesday night that I had a putt to win this tournament, I wouldn't have believed you."

Mickelson, a six-time major winner, posted on X: "Such an impressive performance by Nick Dunlap. Congratulations on an incredible win."

Dunlap - who had missed the cut in his previous three events on the PGA Tour - now has a two-year exemption on the circuit as well as entry to the Masters, the US PGA Championship and The Players Championship.

His stock was high even before this sensational victory after he emulated Tiger Woods last year by becoming the second player to win both the US Junior Amateur and US Amateur titles.

His final round at La Quinta's Pete Dye-designed Stadium course featured a double-bogey six on the short par-four seventh after he pushed an iron shot off the tee into a lake as his three-shot overnight lead evaporated.

But the University of Alabama student responded magnificently with three birdies in his next nine holes as he closed with a two-under 70 to hold off a charging Bezuidenhout and become just the seventh amateur to win a PGA Tour event.

The South African - who holed a 138-yard wedge shot for an eagle two on the par-four 15th - also birdied the last in a seven-under 65 to set a clubhouse target of 28 under.

Dunlap, who had moved to 29 under with a birdie on the 16th, admitted he was unaware of Bezuidenhout's final-hole birdie and, when he was standing over his second shot to the last, he thought he had a two-shot lead.

His approach leaked right and hit a spectator before fortuitously coming to rest a couple of yards off the edge of the green.

He chipped up to six feet and nervelessly holed the putt after his caddie told him "it's inside left, you've made a million of these before".

When asked if the next natural step was to turn professional, he replied: "I don't know. I have to take a second to let what just happened sink in a little bit.

"That's a decision that's not just about me. It affects a lot of people, and obviously I'm going to try to enjoy this."

Women's Pro Tour to survey members on gender policy after Hailey Davidson win in Florida

The NXXT Women's Pro Tour has launched a survey of its members after Scotland's Hailey Davidson became the first transgender golfer to win a professional tournament.

The tour say it is "vital to consider the perspectives of those directly affected by these policies", with the survey asking opinions on gender policy.

Davidson will also undergo additional testosterone testing to ensure compliance with current guidelines.

The Women's Pro Tour say its guidelines have been formulated in alignment with those of the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) and United States Golf Association (USGA).

The guidelines state players should have declared their gender as female, have undergone gender reassignment surgery and must have undergone hormonal therapy and maintained testosterone levels appropriate for the assigned sex.

The tour says that when Davidson joined she complied with its policies but that her participation and success in Florida has "highlighted a range of viewpoints" and that "our decisions are guided by what is best for our players, setting aside personal beliefs".

A statement continued: "We understand that this topic evokes strong feelings and diverse viewpoints. We encourage constructive dialogue and respect for all athletes who strive to compete at the highest levels of their sport.

"We appreciate the passion and commitment of our golfing community and remain dedicated to providing a platform that upholds the integrity of women's professional golf.

"We want to assure the public and all stakeholders that we are dedicated to transparency and thoroughness in addressing this matter."

Speaking to Sky News, Ayrshire-born Davidson said:, external "I recognise that I did have an unfair advantage a few years ago. I've been transitioning for nine years. I've been on hormones for almost nine years, I had surgery coming up almost on three years. I've lost just over 50 miles an hour swing speed.

"Trans athletes shouldn't be banned, but at the same time, there needs to be regulations in place because it shouldn't just be a free for all."

BBC

Farmers Insurance Open: Matthieu Pavon first French player to win on PGA Tour since 1907

Matthieu Pavon won the Farmers Insurance Open to become the first French player to win on the PGA Tour since Arnaud Massy in 1907.

The 31-year-old PGA Tour rookie was playing in his 11th Tour event and shot a three-under-par round of 69 to win by one shot at Torrey Pines in San Diego.

He sealed victory with a birdie on the 18th to finish on 13 under, a stroke ahead of Denmark's Nicolai Hojgaard.

A further and timely reminder of the strength of European golf was delivered by Frenchman Matthieu Pavon's maiden PGA Tour victory over Denmark's Nicolai Hojgaard at Torrey Pines.

It was a notable result to illustrate the folly of an apparent marginalising of the continent's golfing interests.

The top two in La Jolla last weekend plied their trade on the European-based DP World Tour in 2023 and appear to have now seamlessly eased into the more lucrative echelons of the American circuit.

Pavon must now reflect with much satisfaction at the way he birdied the last four holes of the season-ending tour championship in the Middle East last November.

It helped him snatch at the death one of the PGA Tour cards offered to the 10 highest Race to Dubai finishers who do not already have American playing privileges. Pavon could not have capitalised better.

This 31-year-old from Toulouse, who came seventh on his American season debut in Hawaii earlier this month, has never finished higher than 15th on the Race to Dubai.

Victory in Madrid last season was his first success in 185 attempts on the European tour. Pavon is now turning this into a purple patch of real substance.

And it shows what can be achieved by players sometimes derogatorily regarded as little more than mere journeyman stalwarts. In fact, his performances prove that the DP World Tour is populated by seriously excellent golfers.

It is a truly international set up and the vast majority of its members come from a continent that resoundingly won the Ryder Cup last autumn. These could be heady days for European golf - but, instead, alarm bells should be ringing.

The future of global golf is up for grabs like never before thanks to the turmoil brought about by the arrival of LIV and Saudi Arabian investment. But at this crucial moment it is increasingly hard to discern who is fighting Europe's corner?

The DP World Tour is tied to a strategic alliance with the PGA Tour. The partnership has brought security to the Wentworth based circuit and a pathway to the riches of the USA now being trodden by Pavon and co.

But when the game is being encouraged to adopt a more global outlook, Europe seems more and more marginalised in the corridors of power.

With Rory McIlroy's resignation from the PGA Tour Policy Board there is no continental representation on the player dominated body that decides future direction. This, due to the strategic alliance, is obviously key to Europe's ongoing fortunes.

Tyrrell Hatton will make his LIV Golf debut in Mexico this week after becoming the latest high-profile golfer to join the Saudi Arabia-backed tour.

The 32-year-old Englishman was part of Europe's 2023 Ryder Cup-winning team in Rome.

Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy to benefit as PGA Tour signs $3bn SSG deal

The PGA Tour has agreed a private equity deal worth around $3bn (£2.36bn) with a group of investors led by the Fenway Sports Group, which owns Liverpool FC.

As a result, golfers who have remained loyal to the tour and rejected advances from the rival LIV Golf circuit are set to receive $1.5bn in immediate and future equity.

Members have been briefed on the deal, which has been in the pipeline since December last year. This coincides with the launch of PGA Tour Enterprises, a newly formed for profit company which has been initially valued at $12bn and will run parallel with the non-profit, tax-exempt tour.

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan, who will serve as chief executive of the new profit seeking enterprise, said: "Today marks an important moment for the PGA Tour and fans of golf across the world.

Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Rory McIlroy fades as Scottie Scheffler makes move​

Rory McIlroy is 12 shots off the lead at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am after shooting a two-over-par 74 in the second round.

The Northern Irishman carded three bogeys, a double bogey and three birdies to slip to one over overall.

American world number one Scottie Scheffler shares the lead with Sweden's Ludvig Aberg and Belgian Thomas Detry, the first-round leader, on 11 under.

Scheffler carded an 64 which included eight birdies in California.

Aberg went round in 65 and Detry, who led by one stroke overnight, 70. American Patrick Cantlay is one shot further back on 10 under.

England's Matthew Fitzpatrick is seven under after shooting a 68, Justin Rose is five under thanks to a round of 71 and Tommy Fleetwood's 72 kept him on three under.

Dylan Frittelli won his first DP World Tour title in six years with a two-shot victory at the Bahrain Championship.

The South African finished two clear of Zander Lombard and Jesper Svensson on 13 under, hitting a final round 71.

The 33-year-old's victory, his first since the 2017 Mauritius Open, comes after he considered retirement in 2023.

"Last year I was in a couple of spots where I thought I was giving the game up to be honest," he said. "It feels awesome to back on top right now."

Frittelli, a previous winner on the DP World, PGA and European Challenge Tours, considered quitting the sport after missing the cut or withdrawing from 23 of his 27 starts on the PGA Tour last season.

"It's been a long road the last five or six years since I left the DP World Tour and went to the States," said Frittelli.

"It was a pretty tough year last year. I found some resolve at the end of last year and got some good work from my physio and my coaches and trainers. I'm glad I persevered and all the support from family and friends has been well worth it."

Frittelli, the world number 434, started the final day with a two-shot lead, having qualified for the tournament via a new exemption category on the DP World Tour.

That advantage was wiped out, though, as he dropped two shots over the first 12 holes, but he responded with three birdies in the next four holes as he secured his victory.

He added: "I think it shows my mental toughness - it shows the focus I have and those things that you can't really quantify.

"I was swinging it great all week and then all of a sudden couldn't hit it on the planet on the Sunday round so I'm glad I managed to have the resolve."

BBC

LIV Golf benefits as perfect storm blows PGA Tour off course​

For LIV Golf it was the perfect storm. Hurricane force winds swept away Sunday's final round of the Pebble Beach Pro-Am, clearing an unencumbered view of the climax of the breakaway tour's opening tournament of the year.

So convenient for them was the curtailment of the PGA Tour's initial Signature Event, it made one wonder whether Saudi Arabia had bought the weather as well.

Viewers seeking their usual Sunday golf fix were left with no alternative than to access LIV's season opener in Mayakoba, which was eventually won at the fourth extra hole in near darkness by Chile's Joaquin Niemann.

And, to be fair, for many fans it might have been a close run choice of what to watch, even if the $20m Pebble Beach competition been able to run its full 72-hole course.

Which would you opt for - LIV's offering of Niemann muscling in to defeat major winning Spaniards Jon Rahm and Sergio Garcia or US Open winner Wyndham Clark trying to hold off Ludvig Aberg and Matthieu Pavon on the Californian coast?

The latter was being played at an iconic venue on the Californian coast, but one that had been brought to its knees by Clark's extraordinary 60 on Saturday. The former was a $25m shootout on a Greg Norman designed resort course in Mexico, where Niemann had carded a first round 59.

In both events there was some sensational golf, but nothing better illustrates the madness of the modern game than the fact that a total of 134 golfers (80 in the US, 54 on LIV) competed last week for a total of $45m, with no cut at either competition.

When tournaments of such limited stature yield an average take home pay of $336,000 per man, we can easily understand why so many people are now saying that men's professional golf has become utterly divorced from reality.

Clark was crowned the winner at Pebble Beach because the final round was rendered impossible, while the Mexico tournament provided an engaging climax for those who accessed the coverage.

Rahm sought to start repaying the hundreds of millions he pocketed for his close season switch by charging into contention. A potential showdown with his former Ryder Cup partner Garcia was enough to entice me to stream the finale. The website page suggested I was one of around 29,000 watching the action.

It was decent, welcoming coverage. The commentary sought to sell the tournament to a wider audience rather than the usual narrow-casting where traditional golf networks assume that everyone watching is already a golfer.

Caddies wore microphones, and the chat with their players was enlightening. Refreshingly, it felt as though the viewer was being put first.

At least, that was my impression. Is it being overly optimistic to suggest that the competition between tours might ultimately lead to a better overall product for the fan?

That appears the only upside from the current mess, one that appears no nearer to untangling as LIV embarks on its third season.

Neither champion from last weekend could claim to have beaten the best field in the world because both circuits are diluted by division. And the latest developments bring us no nearer to a resolution - quite the opposite, it seems.

The PGA Tour is emboldened by the $1.5bn investment with the Strategic Sport Group that was announced last week. Going forward, they might also attract cash from the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) that backs LIV.

But PGA Tour Policy Board member Jordan Spieth reckons they do not need Saudi money, while the man he replaced on the board, Rory McIlroy, insists that this Middle Eastern influence is essential.

McIlroy is reported to have left a WhatsApp group of leading players. It appears he has had enough of the endless wrangling.

The Northern Irishman argues that a deal with PIF is vital for the game to reunite.

Meanwhile, the US Department of Justice is continuing to insist any arrangement with PIF would need to be formally scrutinised - meaning big delays even if agreement is found.

And where is the Wentworth-based DP World Tour in all of this? There are a number of players and officials who feel they are getting the raw end of their formal 'strategic alliance' with the PGA Tour.

The notion of Europe potentially pivoting to join forces with PIF and thereby providing a pathway back to the establishment fold for LIV recruits such as Rahm and co is not regarded as being as fanciful as it once was.

Having said that, the DP World Tour has just announced FedEx as new sponsors for this year's French Open, a deal that is regarded as a direct benefit resulting from their formalised arrangement with the PGA Tour.

Meanwhile in the United States, the gravy train with its thick and gloopy fare of excess rides on. LIV heads to Las Vegas for Super Bowl week while the PGA Tour sets up camp a tad further south in Arizona for the raucous WM Phoenix Open.

WM stands for waste management - which is just what is needed when overly wealthy rival tours, with substandard products and seemingly no coherent future progression, are left squabbling for our attention.

Its might be time to switch over to the Weather Channel.

Jon Rahm hopes for 'way back' to PGA Tour events for LIV Golf players

Jon Rahm hopes there is a "way back" for LIV Golf players to feature on the PGA Tour again, admitting he felt "emotional" at missing certain events.

Rahm joined the breakaway LIV tour in December in a deal worth a reported £450m ($566.4m),, external meaning he is now excluded from PGA Tour tournaments.

However, there have been talks over a potential merger between the two tours.

"I'm hoping that in the near future I can be back playing some of those events," said the 29-year-old Spaniard.

"I would certainly love to go back and play some of them."

Rahm made his LIV debut in Mexico last weekend having missed PGA events at Palm Springs and Torrey Pines - the venue of his first PGA Tour win in 2017 and US Open triumph in 2021.

He will also miss this week's WM Phoenix Open at TPC Scottsdale, which is just a few miles from his home.

"It was a lot harder to be at home not competing and know that those events were going on. Palm Springs and Torrey, those weeks were hard. I've explained so many times how important Torrey is for me," he said.

"And driving by Phoenix as often as I had to and knowing that I wasn't going to play there, it's definitely emotional. That's one of the things that I'm going to miss."

Negotiations between the PGA Tour and Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF), which funds LIV, began in June 2023 in an attempt to end the split in the game.

A deadline of 31 December passed without an agreement, though discussions have continued into the new year.

Rahm hopes a deal can be reached which will offer a route back to certain PGA Tour tournaments for LIV players.

"If there's ever a way back and a way where we can play, even if it's as an invite, I will take it," he said.

"There are certain events that are special to me that I would still love to support."

Despite his disappointment at missing out on some events, Rahm says he has no regrets about making the move as he prepares for LIV's second event of the season in Las Vegas.

"I'm not typically a person that's going to regret any decisions," he added.

"I made as educated a decision as I could with the full support of the people around me and [I am] confident that it was the right thing for me, so I'm not going to regret it."

Donald unsure of Ryder Cup eligibility

Europe's Ryder Cup captain Luke Donald could not confirm whether Rahm and Tyrrell Hatton, who has also quit the PGA Tour for LIV, will be on his team in 2025.

Both players are eligible under the current rules as they remain members of the European-based DP World Tour.

"Do I see them [on the team]? It's really hard for me to answer that question now," said Donald, who led Europe to victory in Rome last year.

"We have all this talk about potential deals with the PGA Tour, with DP World Tour, with the PIF. I have no idea what's going to happen, and for the next seven months, I don't really need to know what's going to happen because qualification for the Ryder Cup won't start until then.

"At this moment those are the rules, and so far, I'm sure Jon, I'm sure Tyrrell, they want to be a part of it, and they will hopefully adhere to whatever the rules are that allow them to play in the Ryder Cup."

Cristobal del Solar carded one of the lowest scores in the history of professional golf with a 13-under-par 57 in the Astara Championship.

The Chilean made two eagles and nine birdies in the event in Colombia on the Korn Ferry Tour, the developmental circuit that sits below the PGA Tour.

The 30-year-old shot his 57 on the Pacos course, the shortest on the tour and almost 9,000ft above sea level.

Ireland's David Carey shot the only other 57 on a professional tour.

His round came at the Cervino Open in 2019 on the Alps Tour, the third tier in Europe below the European Tour.

Jim Furyk's 58 at the Travelers Championship in 2016 is the lowest round on the PGA Tour.

It was matched last year by Bryson DeChambeau in a LIV Golf event while Ryo Ishikawa and Kim Seong-hyeon have made 58s on the Japan Tour.

Del Solar's round at the Bogota course - which sits at high altitude, where the ball flies about six per cent further because of the thinner air - is the best in a PGA Tour-sanctioned event.

The world number 259 could have gone even lower but missed a 15-foot putt for birdie on the par-four 18th that meant he made par on his final three holes.

BBC

Tiger Woods to play first PGA Tour event of 2024 at Genesis Invitational in February​

Tiger Woods will play his first PGA Tour event of 2024 at the Genesis Invitational in February.

The 15-time major champion has had a limited schedule since suffering a leg injury in a car crash in 2021.

Woods last played in December when he said he expected to play one event per month in 2024.

The 48-year-old says he is "excited" to be playing at the Genesis Invitational, which he hosts, and which starts in California on Thursday, 15 February.

Woods withdrew from the Masters in April 2023 before making his return to competitive action at the Hero World Challenge in December.

The American also played alongside his 14-year-old son Charlie at the PNC Championship in Orlando in December.

Woods' last win on the PGA Tour was at the 2019 Zozo Championship in Japan, which saw him equal Sam Snead's record of 82 Tour victories.

Looking forward to see him play in his first PGA Tour event of the year.

Dustin Johnson wins LIV Golf's Las Vegas Invitational

Dustin Johnson birdied three of the last six holes to claim the LIV Golf Las Vegas title by one shot.

Johnson, 39, battled cold and windy conditions to top the leaderboard on 12 under for his third LIV title and claim $4m (£3.1m) in prize money.

Talor Gooch and Peter Uihlein finished second on 11-under, with Matthew Wolf one shot further back.

"It's a great win," Johnson said. "I knew it was going to be tough with the conditions."

The two-time major winner added: "A lot of really good players were right around the lead so I knew I was going to have to play well if I wanted to win."

England's Paul Casey, Northern Ireland's Graeme McDowell and American Jason Kokrak shared fifth place on eight under, one shot ahead of Spain's Jon Rahm on his second LIV Golf appearance.

Bryson DeChambeau shared the 36-hole lead with Johnson but could only card a final-round four-over-par 74 to finish tied for ninth on seven under.

Smash GC - featuring Gooch, McDowell, Kokrak and captain Brooks Koepka - took the team title on 33-under, seven shots ahead of Johnson's 4Aces.

BBC

WM Phoenix Open: Nick Taylor wins raucous event in play-off against Charley Hoffman​

Americans Zach Johnson and Billy Horschel exchanged angry words with fans as the notoriously raucous Phoenix Open was again marred by trouble.

Johnson, who captained the US at last year's Ryder Cup against Europe in Rome, said "I'm sick of it" before demanding spectators "just shut up".

Horschel was angered by someone calling out while his playing partner player Nicolo Galletti was set to hit a shot.

Canadian Nick Taylor produced a superb late surge to win after a play-off.

Taylor, 35, birdied three of his last four regular holes to tie with Charley Hoffman on 21 under after the American took the lead with a seven-under-64 at Scottsdale, Arizona.

Both birdied the first extra hole but when Hoffman missed on the second, Taylor holed an 11-foot birdie putt to win it.

But yet again the PGA Tour event, which features thousands of fans surrounding the par-three 16th 'stadium hole', saw unruly behaviour with fights among spectators, a woman taken to hospital after falling from a stand, and alcohol sales being temporarily halted.

One man was arrested after jumping over the ropes and diving into a greenside bunker on the 16th, where he proceeded to perform 'snow angels' in the sand.

Johnson's outburst was in a separate incident to Horschel, who shouted "buddy, when he's over a shot shut the hell up man", towards spectators who had heckled qualifier Galletti.

Former BMW PGA Championship winner Byeong Hun An said the event was "totally out of control on every hole" in a post on social media.

The incidents are the latest at an event that has increasingly become affected by rowdy behaviour, particularly on the 16th.

An almost naked spectator was arrested at last year's tournament after streaking around the green before jumping in a nearby pond.

The previous edition saw fans routinely shower the hole with drinks bottles to reward a good shot - with one player being hit - while PGA Tour players Harry Higgs and Joel Dahmen removed their shirts to the delight of baying fans.

Tiger Woods withdraws from Genesis Invitational because of flu-like symptoms​

Tiger Woods is "doing much better" after he had to withdraw from the Genesis Invitational with flu-like symptoms, his business partner says.

Woods, who was playing in his first official PGA Tour event since last April's Masters, was only able to complete six holes in his second round.

The 48-year-old was driven off the course on a cart shortly after teeing off on the seventh hole in California.

He went to the clubhouse for two hours and was given intravenous fluids.

The 15-time major champion, who hosts the tournament at the Riviera Country Club, walked to his car before leaving the event.

His business partner Rob McNamara said Woods' exit was unrelated to his long-standing injury problems and was "not physical at all".

The American's schedule has been limited since injuring his leg in a car crash in 2021 and he last played in December. He is still adapting after having ankle fusion surgery in April 2023.

The former world number one had back spasms towards the end of his first round on Thursday when he uncharacteristically shanked an approach shot on the 18th hole.

"His back is fine. It was all medical illness, dehydration... the symptoms are reversing themselves now that he's had an IV [drip]," said McNamara.

"He had a little bit of a fever and was better during the warm-up, but then when he got out there and was walking and playing, he started feeling dizzy.

"Ultimately the doctors are saying he's potentially got some type of flu and that he was dehydrated. He's been treated with an IV bag and he's doing much, much better and he'll be released on his own here soon."

Woods started his second round with a birdie at the par-five first hole, but dropped shots at the fourth and fifth and was two over par before he withdrew.

Wishing him a quick recovery. Golf is a lot better to watch when he is in action.

American Patrick Cantlay leads the Genesis Invitational by two shots heading into the final round.

Cantlay, 31, was five shots clear at the halfway stage but his advantage was cut after he struggled to a one-under 70 in his third round on Saturday.

Xander Schauffele and Will Zalatoris both carded 65s to move 12 under overall - two behind Cantlay.

World number two Rory McIlroy hit five birdies and three bogeys as he carded a 69 and is joint 27th on four under.

The four-time major champion is joined by Englishman Tommy Fleetwood, who shot a 71 at the Riviera Country Club in California.

Cantlay, who is seventh in the world rankings, opened with a birdie but handed the stroke back at the third when he missed a seven-foot putt to save par.

He then recovered to make tap-in birdies at the 11th and 13th to climb to 15 under, before trouble off the tee at the penultimate hole led to a bogey.

Fellow American Schauffele, meanwhile, started strongly with an eagle at the par-five first and produced four birdies in his final nine holes, while compatriot Zalatoris made seven birdies and just one bogey.

BBC

Japan's Hideki Matsuyama won the Genesis Invitational after an incredible fightback in the final round.

His nine-under 62 to secure victory was one shot shy of the course record at the Riviera Country Club.

The 2021 Masters champion, 31, started the day six shots behind leader Patrick Cantlay but finished 17 under par to claim his ninth PGA Tour title.

Tiger Woods’ son is taking his first step toward trying to play on the PGA Tour

The 15-year-old son of Tiger Woods is taking the first step toward trying to play on the PGA Tour. Charlie Woods is entered in a pre-qualifier for the Cognizant Classic.

The pre-qualifier for Woods is Thursday at Lost Lake Golf Club. The top 25 and ties advance to the Monday qualifier, where four players earn a spot in the field.

The PGA Tour said on its website Woods will play alongside Olin Browne Jr. and Ruaidhri McGee. Browne, whose father is a three-time winner on the PGA Tour, played in the U.S. Open last year at Los Angeles Country Club.

AP News

Tiger Woods' son Charlie, 15, aiming to qualify for PGA Tour event

Charlie Woods, the 15-year-old son of golf legend Tiger, will start his attempt to qualify for a first PGA Tour event on Thursday.

Woods junior will compete in one of four pre-qualifiers as he aims to reach the Cognizant Classic.

The top 25 players and ties advance to Monday's final qualifier, with four then earning places in the main field.

Rory McIlroy will be among the stars playing for a prize fund of £7.1m at PGA National in Florida.

If Charlie Woods is going to join the Northern Irishman, he will have to come through the 18-hole pre-qualifier at Lost Lake Golf Club, where he has been grouped with Ireland's Ruaidhri McGee and American Olin Browne Jr.

The players who come through that stage will go to the final qualifier at Tesoro Club's Palmer Course in a bid to clinch their spot at the Cognizant Classic, which takes place from 29 February to 3 March.

The teenage Woods has competed in the last four editions of the PNC Championship exhibition event alongside his father, who was forced to withdraw during the Genesis Invitational last week because of illness.

Charlie Woods finished tied 17th in the boys' 14-15 division of last year's Notah Begay III Junior Golf National Championship, with 15-time major champion Tiger acting as his caddie.

BBC

England's Bronte Law shoots closing 64 to win title in Morocco​

England's Bronte Law carded a final-round 64 to take victory at the Lalla Meryem Cup in Morocco.

The 28-year-old had an eagle, nine birdies and two bogeys in the third round to finish the event on 13 under.

Three of Law's birdies came on the 10th, 11th and 12th holes before an eagle at 14 boosted her title hopes.

She ended up winning by three shots after Pauline Roussin-Bouchard of France had bogeys on the last two holes to drop to 10 under.

Mexico's Maria Fassi led after the first two days but finished on nine under in a tie for third after a final round of three-over-par 76.

Joe Dean, the world number 2,930 and part-time delivery driver, has won a "life-changing" prize of £170,000 by finishing runner-up at the Kenya Open.

The Englishman, who scraped on to the DP World Tour through qualifying, finished joint second behind Darius van Driel in Nairobi.

Dean, who works a delivery driver for Morrisons supermarket, carded a closing four-under-par 67 to finish 12 under.

BBC

Anthony Kim will make his first professional appearance in 12 years at an event in Saudi Arabia next week after joining LIV Golf.

The 38-year-old American will join the 2024 season as a wildcard and will not be assigned a team.

Kim, a one-time PGA Tour breakthrough star, disappeared from the sport after a string of injuries between 2010 and 2012.

"The golf world has missed you," said LIV commissioner Greg Norman.

Kim will reportedly, external void an insurance policy payout of $10m (£7.89m) in order to return to the circuit.

BBC

Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy won a closest-to-the-pin tie-breaker to earn £1.26m for charity in The Match 9 skins game in the US.

The world number two was up against Max Homa and LPGA stars Lexi Thompson and Rose Zhang in the 12-hole event played under lights at The Park golf course.

After McIlroy had won three skins to accumulate £630,000, his shot at the first extra hole secured his triumph.

BBC

Cognizant Classic: Rory McIlroy in contention as Bud Cauley leads at halfway stage​

Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy is three shots behind American leader Bud Cauley at the halfway stage of the Cognizant Classic in Florida.

World number 1,258 Cauley is making just his second PGA Tour start since September 2020 after injury struggles following a car accident, external in 2018.

A bogey-free 65 at PGA National put the 33-year-old on 11 under.

McIlroy, the world number two, carded a second consecutive four-under-par 67 to reach eight under.

American Austin Eckroat and South African Garrick Higgo are on 10 under, while Englishman David Skinns and Ireland's Shane Lowry are alongside McIlroy in a group of players on eight under.

Belgium's Thomas Detry props up the leaderboard after he six-putted the par-four sixth hole, despite hitting his second shot to within 6ft.

He eventually walked off the green with a quadruple-bogey eight and carded an 80 to drop to 11 over.

Ten players will complete their second rounds on Saturday after play was suspended because of darkness at Palm Beach Gardens.

Cauley, who is playing on a medical exemption after he sustained six broken ribs, a collapsed right lung and a fractured left leg in the 2018 crash.

He returned to playing but had complications in late 2020 and needed follow-up surgeries.

Cauley returned to the developmental Korn Ferry Tour in January with two top-35 finishes and he made his PGA Tour comeback at last month's Phoenix Open where he finished 65th.

"There were a lot of times where I thought that my career was over," Cauley said.

"To be back here playing and playing well, it's nice. It just makes me that much more happy that I kept after it and didn't stop trying.

"My expectation was to come out and compete, and I felt like my game was in a good spot. Saying it is one thing, doing it is another."

Chile's Joaquin Niemann added to his growing reputation as he won LIV Golf's Jeddah Invitational by four shots.

The 25-year-old won the Australian Open in December and has been invited to play at the Masters following three top-five finishes on the DP World Tour.

He won his second title in three LIV Tour starts this season, closing with a four-under 66 to finish on 17 under after three rounds in Saudi Arabia.

BBC

PGA Tour: Austin Eckroat wins Cognizant Classic, Shane Lowry & David Skinns fall away​

Austin Eckroat held off the chasing pack - including Ireland's Shane Lowry and England's David Skinns - to win his first PGA Tour title on a Monday finish at the rain-delayed Cognizant Classic.

The 25-year-old American was 15 under after seven holes on Sunday when play was suspended at the Florida course.

On Monday, Eckroat added three birdies and a bogey to finish 17 under and seal victory on his 50th PGA Tour start.

Lowry and Skinns finished in a five-way tie for fourth place on 13 under.

The pair shared the lead with Eckroat after three rounds at Palm Beach Gardens, but had dropped off the pace on Sunday before resuming their final rounds on Monday.

European Ryder Cup star Lowry saw his hopes of catching Eckroat hit by twice finding water, while 42-year-old Skinns carded a final-round 71 to earn his best finish in his 27 tour appearances.

Eckroat picked up where he left off, playing confidently to maintain the lead throughout and seal a three-shot victory, which secures him a place at the Masters next month.

South Africa's Erik van Rooyen, who was the clubhouse leader on Sunday after finishing on 14-under with a final-round 63, tied for second with Australia's Min-Woo Lee.

Arnold Palmer Invitational: Scottie Scheffler and Shane Lowry part of six-way tie for lead​

Scottie Scheffler made a late charge to join Shane Lowry and four others in a six-way tie for the lead at the Arnold Palmer Invitational in Florida.

World number one Scheffler made an eagle and three birdies in the back nine to card a second-round 67.

He is now seven under for the event alongside round-one leader Lowry, who added a 71 to his opening 66.

Americans Wyndham Clark, Russell Henley and Brian Harman and Japan's Hideki Matsuyama are also tied for the lead.

England's Matt Fitzpatrick, Justin Rose and Tommy Fleetwood all missed the cut.

"There's a lot of names up at the top of the leaderboard right now," Scheffler said.

"It's pretty stacked going into the weekend. I'm proud of how I finished to kind of give myself a good chance."

Northern Irishman Rory McIlroy is six shots behind the leading group after an erratic two-under-par 70 that included six birdies and four bogeys.

Fleetwood, meanwhile, endured a nightmare round at the Bay Hill Club & Lodgein Orlando as he went round in 80 to finish nine over.

The 33-year-old struck three consecutive balls into the water at the par-five sixth on his way to a quintuple-bogey 10.

Abraham Ancer blew a five-stroke lead but still managed to win his first LIV Golf event after a play-off in Hong Kong on Sunday.

The Mexican produced a final round of two-over 72, which allowed Australia's Cameron Smith (66) and England's Paul Casey (64) to join him on 13-under.

But Ancer regrouped on the first play-off hole, making a 4ft putt for a birdie and his sixth professional win.

"Man, I made that so hard on myself," said the 33-year-old.

Ancer set up only his second birdie of the day with a superb approach before sealing victory in the first LIV Golf event to be played in Hong Kong.

"The ball-striking wasn't there [today], but mentally I was really strong so I felt really good," he added. "I just kept myself in it and hit the right shot at the right time there in the play-off."

Casey holed a spectacular bunker shot for a birdie at his final hole, the 16th, to draw level with Ancer and Smith, only to find a fairway bunker off the tee in the play-off.

Chile's Joaquin Niemann, who won two of the previous three LIV events this season, finished with a seven-under 63 to finish just a shot off the lead, along with Mexico's Carlos Ortiz.

BBC

World number one Scottie Scheffler produced an excellent final round to claim a five-shot victory at the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

American Scheffler, 27, carded a six-under 66 to finish on 15 under and lift the trophy at Bay Hill for the second time in three years.

Compatriot Wyndham Clark finished second on 10 under in Florida.
Ireland's Shane Lowry had held a share of the overnight lead with Scheffler but saw his challenge fade on Sunday.

Lowry, the 2019 Open champion, was chasing his first title since September 2022 - but the 36-year-old was unable to sustain his bid after ending each of the first three days at the top of the leaderboard.

He made consecutive birdies on the 15th and 16th holes to make even par and end the weekend on nine under in third place.
Scheffler, champion in 2022 by a single stroke, carded six birdies - including four on the back nine - to seal a dominant victory with his best score over the four days.

It is his seventh PGA Tour title, almost a year to the day since he lost tasted victory at the 2023 Players Championship.
Clark, who began the day one shot behind the leaders, carded a two-under 70 to finish runner-up.

Behind Lowry, Americans Russell Henley and Will Zalatoris both finished on seven under in a tie for fourth place
Northern Ireland's 2018 winner Rory McIlroy, runner-up last year, shot 76 on Sunday to finish one under par and ended up tied for 21st.

Rory McIlroy: Players Championship missing best players 'a shame'

Rory McIlroy is concerned that "fans are losing interest" in watching golf because of the current fragmented nature of the men's professional game.

The financial pull of LIV Golf has attracted dozens of players to move from the PGA Tour to the fledgling Saudi Arabian-funded circuit.

And the split means several of the world's best are not competing at this week's Players Championship in Florida.

"I don't think there is a fast solution," McIlroy told BBC Sport.

"But everyone needs to put their feelings and egos aside and figure out a solution where we can bring all the best players back together week in week out."

The Players Championship is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year but the PGA Tour's $25m flagship event is missing its 2022 winner Cameron Smith and reigning major champions Brooks Koepka and Jon Rahm. All three now play on the LIV circuit alongside the likes of fellow major champions Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau and Sergio Garcia.

"It's the biggest tournament outside of major championship and you don't have all the best players in the world here, that's a shame," added McIlroy.

"I hope that changes quickly because unfortunately I think fans are losing interest.

Jordan Spieth: PGA Tour player-directors being encouraged to meet Saudi PIF chiefs​

Jordan Spieth says players on the PGA Tour board are being "encouraged" to meet with Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund amid ongoing talks about a merger with LIV Golf.

Negotiations are continuing between the PGA Tour and the PIF, which funds the fledgling LIV circuit, about a deal which could end the split in the game.

They failed to reach an agreement by a previous deadline at the end of 2023.

"We are being encouraged to potentially meet with them," Spieth said.

The American was answering a question about a report in Golfweek that the tour's player-directors were set to follow commissioner Jay Monahan in meeting with PIF governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan, who is also Newcastle United's chairman.

Spieth is one of six player-directors on the PGA Tour board, along with Tiger Woods, Patrick Cantlay, Adam Scott, Webb Simpson and Peter Malnati.

Asked when a meeting was going to happen, the former world number one added: "I'm not sure that I can say much more other than we're being encouraged to potentially meet with them.

"But at the same time we probably feel like our membership should know timings and what could happen...

"There's not a whole lot more I can say about that, but we are being encouraged... I think [it] is probably a good thing that the entire board should [meet] if there's going to be any potential for a negotiation."

The emergence of the LIV circuit in 2022 has fractured men's professional golf.

Several top players, including Masters champion Jon Rahm, have been lured by its huge prize funds and no-cut events, which include a team format.

The split means several of the world's best are not competing at this week's Players Championship in Florida where Spieth was speaking.

Rory McIlroy, who is playing in the tournament, has voiced concerns that "fans are losing interest" in watching golf because of the fragmented nature of the men's professional game.

Monahan has also accepted fans are "tired of hearing about conflict, money and who is getting what" but has insisted talks are "accelerating" towards a "positive outcome".

Xander Schauffele produced a stunning bogey-free third round to open a one-shot lead heading into Sunday's finale of the 50th Players Championship.

The American hit seven birdies in a 65 that saw him overhaul halfway leader Wyndham Clark's four-shot advantage and finish on 17 under par at Sawgrass.

Clark is 16 under after a scrappy 70 while Open champion Brian Harman is 15 under after a superb 64.

Matt Fitzpatrick had six birdies in his final 10 holes to get to 13 under.

No English player has won the PGA Tour's flagship event but the 2022 US Open champion had a sensational back nine to keep himself in contention.

Scottie Scheffler overcame a neck injury and five-shot deficit in the final round to become the first player to defend the Players Championship.

The world number one, who had physio during round two, hit an eight-under-par 64 to win the 50th staging of the PGA Tour's flagship tournament.

He won by one shot on 20 under from fellow Americans Brian Harman, Xander Schauffele and Wyndham Clark.

All three missed putts to force a play-off in a phenomenal finish at Sawgrass.

Harman was first to the 18th but he pushed a 17-foot birdie putt wide as he closed with a 68.

Schauffele, who led overnight and for much of the final round, failed with his 60-footer, while Clark's 20-footer horseshoed around the hole.

Asked what it was like to become the first player to win successive Players titles, Scheffler said: "It's pretty special.

"It's something you don't get the opportunity to do very often. It's tough enough to win one."

As much as the trio squandered their opportunities, Scheffler earned his historic victory with a simply stunning final round.

He had eradicated Schauffele's lead by the ninth hole. A chip-in eagle two on the par-four fourth sparked the comeback and he followed that with three birdies in five holes to join Schauffele on 17 under.

But moments later Schauffele knocked in a birdie on seven to move one ahead.

That set the scene for a nerve-shredding back nine with Scheffler, Schauffele and Clark taking or sharing the lead at various points.

While Scheffler posted birdies on the 11th, 12th and 16th holes, Schauffele and Clark were dropping shots.

Clark, who led by four strokes at the halfway stage of the tournament following two rounds of 67, bogeyed the 10th and 14th to drop to 17 under, while Schauffele bogeyed the 14th and 15th as he slipped to 18 under.

Meanwhile, Open champion Harman was quietly creeping up the leaderboard, with four birdies in five holes around the turn taking him to 18 under.

He rolled in another on the 15th but was unable to pick up another shot on the famously tough closing three holes.

Schauffele and Clark birdied the par-five 16th to move to 19 and 18 under respectively and played sensational tee shots to inside eight feet on the notoriously difficult par-three 17th 'island hole'.

Schauffele missed his birdie putt. Clark holed. Both needed to birdie the last to match Scheffler. Both failed.

BBC

Scottie Scheffler overcame a neck injury and record five-shot deficit in the final round to become the first man to defend the Players Championship.

The world number one, who had treatment on his neck during round two, hit an eight-under 64 to win the 50th staging of the PGA Tour's flagship tournament.

He won by one shot on 20 under from fellow Americans Brian Harman, Wyndham Clark and Xander Schauffele.

All three missed putts to force a play-off in a phenomenal finish in Florida.

Harman was first to the 18th but he pushed a 17-foot birdie putt wide as he closed with a 68 at Sawgrass.

Schauffele, who led overnight and for much of the final round, failed with his 60-footer as he posted a 70, while US Open champion Clark's 17-footer horseshoed around the hole and left him signing for a 69.

Asked what it was like to become the first player to win successive Players titles, Scheffler said: "It's pretty special.

"It's something you don't get the opportunity to do very often. It's tough enough to win one."

He is the youngest player, at the age of 27, to win two titles - only Jack Nicklaus has won the event three times.

His eighth PGA Tour victory is all the more remarkable considering the pain he was in during Friday's second round when he tweaked his neck while playing a shot. He called for a physio who worked on the injury between holes and he was still in obvious discomfort during Saturday's third round.

"I didn't want to give up in the tournament," said Scheffler, who collected $4.5m (£3.5m) from the $25m prize fund. "I did what I could to hang around until my neck got better and [on Sunday] it felt really good."

And as much as Harman, Schauffele and Clark squandered their opportunities, Scheffler earned his historic victory with a stunning final round as he matched the record comeback wins of Justin Leonard in 1998 and Henrik Stenson in 2009.

He had eradicated Schauffele's lead by the ninth hole. A chip-in eagle two on the par-four fourth sparked the comeback and Scheffler followed that with three birdies in five holes to join Schauffele on 17 under.

But moments later Schauffele knocked in a birdie on seven to move one ahead.

That set the scene for a nerve-shredding back nine, with Scheffler, Schauffele and Clark taking or sharing the lead at various points.

While Scheffler posted birdies on the 11th, 12th and 16th holes, Schauffele and Clark were dropping shots.

Clark, who led by four strokes at the halfway stage of the tournament following two rounds of 67, bogeyed the 10th and 14th to drop to 17 under, while Schauffele bogeyed the 14th and 15th as he slipped to 18 under.

Meanwhile, Open champion Harman was quietly creeping up the leaderboard, with four birdies in five holes around the turn taking him to 18 under.

He rolled in another on the 15th but was unable to pick up another shot on the famously tough closing three holes.

Schauffele and Clark birdied the par-five 16th to move to 19 and 18 under respectively and played sensational tee shots to inside eight feet on the notoriously difficult par-three 17th 'island hole'.

Schauffele missed his birdie putt. Clark holed. Both needed to birdie the last to match Scheffler. Both failed.

"When I went to bed last night, it's not exactly how I envisioned walking off the 18th green," said Schauffele, whose last victory was the 2022 Scottish Open.

"This sucks but I'll lick my wounds and right back to it next week."

Scottie Scheffler gave a knowing smile when an inevitable comparison with Tiger Woods was made in the immediate aftermath of his historic Players Championship victory at Sawgrass.

Such is the current dominance enjoyed by the man who became the first to defend the PGA Tour's flagship title, some are starting to equate him with the 15-time major champion.

Scheffler's mind went back to Woods' tournament, the Genesis Invitational at Riviera, last month.

"I think that's a funny question," he smiled.

"I'm not going to remember the exact numbers, but we were playing at 'Riv' this year, and I hit my tee ball and this guy yells out, 'Congrats on being number one Scottie. Eleven more years to go. Eleven more years to go'."

And, of course, the fan was right. Scheffler is miles away from coming close to the longevity of dominance achieved by Woods in his pomp. But right here, right now, there is an argument to mention the two players in the same breath.

"Any time you can be compared to Tiger is really special, but, I mean, the guy stands alone in our game. He really does," Scheffler added.

"This is my eighth tournament win now out here, I've tied him in Players Championships. Outside of that, I have got 14 more majors and 70-some PGA Tour events to catch up.

"So I think I'm going to stick to my routine and just continue to plot along, try and stay as even-keeled as I can."

BBC

Robert MacIntyre taunted his American hosts at the Valspar Championship in Florida by labelling his caddie's bib with Europe's Ryder Cup-winning score.

MacIntyre took advantage of a quirk of the tournament that allows players to choose wording for their caddie's bib.

The Scot opted for 'EUR 16.5-11.5 USA' in reference to the USA's heavy defeat by Europe in Rome in September.

Among mixed responses on social media, Ryder Cup Europe posted on X: "He's only gone and done it. We approve."

Their USA counterparts responded: "Never too soon to start thinking about Bethpage in 2025."
Meanwhile, the official PGA Tour account asked: "Too soon?"

MacIntyre, 27, was unbeaten with two and a half points at the Marco Simone Country Club as Luke Donald's side won back the Ryder Cup, but he did not pair up with English caddie Mike Burrows until a month later.
Making his ninth appearance on the PGA Tour this season, MacIntyre has missed the cut in half of his previous events.

A one-under-par opening round at the Valspar Championship left him six off the lead set by America's Kevin Streelman.

Source: BBC​

England's Andy Sullivan shot a course-record 63 to share the lead alongside compatriot Richard Mansell after the second round of the Singapore Classic.

Starting on the 10th hole, Sullivan carded 28 on the front nine to finish level with Mansell and Germany's Freddy Schott on nine under.

Mansell shot a three-under 69 as two birdies on 16 and 18 put him level with Sullivan and Schott.

England's Sam Bairstow and Paul Waring are a shot further back, part of a five-way tie on eight under. Scotland's Ewen Ferguson is among a six-strong group on seven under.

BBC

American Peter Malnati won his first PGA tournament in almost nine years to qualify for the first Masters of his career.

The 36-year-old shot a four-under-par 67 in his final round in Palm Harbor, Florida, to finish on 12 under and clinch the Valspar Championship title.

The victory earned him a place in the field at Augusta next month.

Malnati's only previous PGA Tour win came in November 2015 at the Sandersons Farms Championship.

He started the day two off the pace but five birdies helped him to beat Cameron Young - who bogeyed his final hole - by two strokes.

Chandler Phillips and Canada's Mackenzie Hughes tied for third.

LPGA: Nelly Korda wins second event of 2024 at Seri Pak Championship​

Nelly Korda won her second LPGA Tour event of 2024 - and 10th of her career - with a play-off victory over Ryann O'Toole.

The American pair finished on nine under par at the Seri Pak Championship at Palos Verdes in California to force a decider.

And it was Korda who sealed it on the first play-off hole with a birdie.

The win was enough to send the 25-year-old Olympic champion back to the world number one spot.

Korda last played seven weeks ago, when she beat Lydia Ko - also in a play-off - to win the Drive On Championship.

She looked like easing to victory when an eagle at the 14th saw her lead by three on a windy course.

But back-to-back bogeys saw her finish with a two-under-par 69 while O'Toole's five-under 66 was the lowest round of the day and left them both on nine under.

"Today was just really tough. But I think that's also the beauty of the game," said Korda, 25.

"It's fun to play in these conditions and kind of be a little bit more artistic out here."

Australian rookie Gabriela Ruffels - a former professional tennis player - finished a shot behind the leaders, alongside American Alison Lee.

Scotland's Gemma Dryburgh and England's Charley Hull were a further three shots behind, both ending on five under.

Scottie Scheffler's record-breaking streak of 28 consecutive rounds under par on the PGA Tour came to an end at the Houston Open.

The world number one missed a simple putt on the 18th hole at Memorial Park to end his second round on a double bogey and card a level-par 70.

Nelly Korda hit a bogey-free seven-under-par 65 to claim her third LPGA Tour victory on the trot in Arizona.

The world number one, who started the day two shots off the lead, closed with two birdies in her final three holes to set the clubhouse target on 20 under.

Australian rookie Hira Naveed (66) finished second on 18 under, while Lexi Thompson's challenge ended in the water on the 16th as she faded to third.

BBC

Houston Open: Stephan Jaeger wins first PGA Tour title as Scottie Scheffler misses out​

Germany's Stephan Jaeger won his first PGA Tour title at the 135th attempt with victory at the Houston Open.

Jaeger's previous six tournament wins were on the second tier Korn Ferry Tour but a three-under 67 saw him top the leaderboard by one shot on 12 under.

World number one Scottie Scheffler, chasing a third straight win, missed a five-foot putt to force a play-off and finish in a five-way tie for second.

English pair David Skinns and Aaron Rai finished in a group on 10 under.

Jaeger, who was part of a five-way tie for the lead heading into the final round, carded four birdies and a bogey on the front nine before making nine straight pars.

The 34-year-old narrowly missed a 20-foot birdie chance at the 18th to give Scheffler the chance to force a play-off.

But the world number one, who won the Arnold Palmer Invitational and the Players Championship back-to-back, spurned the opportunity - his first missed putt inside seven feet all weekend.

"He's been playing some unbelievable golf," Jaeger said of American Scheffler. "I played the Arnold Palmer and the Players with him and he's such a great dude as well.

"I just tried to stay within myself, tried to make some birdies. Birdies eluded me on the back nine but this golf course plays a little difficult especially if you're right around the lead.

"There's so much trouble and I'm super happy obviously with the day."

Back