How will Mohammad Hafeez be remembered in cricketing history? What is his legacy?

So a player who is mediocre in his prime.How good will he be at 40?

Has averaged about 35 with the bat and has bowled with an economy of less than 3.5 since 2010 in ODIs (granted he's not a big wicket taker, but he does his job).

Also averaged 30ish in T20s with the bat (very good T20 ave) and below 20 with the ball at less than 6rpo since 2010.

He's not incredible but he's definitely not mediocre. On the way up as a cricketer and is more than likely to be our captain for the next 2 years post-Misbah

5 ODI hundreds? can you let me know which top sides these were all against please?

After what happened in the first ODI, do you really want to be discounting runs against the so-called "weaker teams"? But for Hafeez's excellence we could have been 2-0 down against the worst side in the world.

Has averaged about 35 with the bat and has bowled with an economy of less than 3.5 since 2010 in ODIs (granted he's not a big wicket taker, but he does his job).

Also averaged 30ish in T20s with the bat (very good T20 ave) and below 20 with the ball at less than 6rpo since 2010.

He's not incredible but he's definitely not mediocre. On the way up as a cricketer and is more than likely to be our captain for the next 2 years post-Misbah

That will be a travesty for Pakistan cricket.

From the heady days of being led by Imran Khan and 2 Ws or even Inzy.To being led by the likes of Misbah and HAfeez.

Have to still wait on junaid,nasir and akmal.
Don't think nasir wil make the cut,junaid and akmal have a good chance though

I think Nasir have the pottential too. He is captaincy material.. Off course Junaid Nasir Akmal will have to continue the good work for several years.

Infact even Ajmal hasnt reached the Afridi status.... He has come too late and will have to continue his current work for few more years.

A Test batting average of 35.12

An ODI batting average of 28.69 at an SR of 71.24

Below average cricketer who loves bullying minnows and below par attacks.

He is a minnow basher but credit where due.

Only Kohli and Dilshan have scored more ODI hundreds in the last 2 years and 3 of his hundreds came in WI, NZ and India respectively so that isn't minnow bashing exactly.

Besides, he isn't the only one to have played in these countries in the last 2 years so he must have done something right.

He has a lot of problems, but scoring hundreds isn't one and we have really lacked a century making opener since Saeed Anwar departed. Salman Butt filled that void with his 8 hundreds in 6 years but Hafeez has taken it to another level.

6 in 2 years.

But it is true that judging a player by no of hundreds is a very hollow criteria. The only thing that counts is the average.

The rubbish Shehzad has two hundreds already but he is a pathetic batsman nonetheless.

Tharanga has 13 hundreds but he is still a mediocre opener.

Hafeez's average is poor which indicates his consistently low scores.

But it is true that judging a player by no of hundreds is a very hollow criteria. The only thing that counts is the average.

The rubbish Shehzad has two hundreds already but he is a pathetic batsman nonetheless.

:facepalm:

Just look at your language for a 21-year old superb talent who has already won us a couple of international games on the present tour. Most countries would do anything to have a 21-year old of this ability. With experience he will become a champion player. The confidence and swagger can't be taught.

Amazing how people speak of Hafeez as there are 20 of them lining up to take his place!

My mind just goes back to that 1st day of the 1st Test between Pak and England in UAE last year

Cook batting and Hafeez brought in ... how that set the pattern for of the most historic series wins EVER by Pakistan against England

There are a few good moments but overall hafeez has been average, chokes against the best sides and bashes the minor ones. I dont know how can one juatify his place or glorify him on the basis of a few wickets which came ages ago or a few centuries against the bottom tier teams.

After what happened in the first ODI, do you really want to be discounting runs against the so-called "weaker teams"? But for Hafeez's excellence we could have been 2-0 down against the worst side in the world.

Wow. so hafeez bashed a minnow so we avoided a 2-0 defeat. am sure any other players could have done just a good a job if given the chance, when was last time he performed against a decent side?

He is a minnow basher but credit where due.

Only Kohli and Dilshan have scored more ODI hundreds in the last 2 years and 3 of his hundreds came in WI, NZ and India respectively so that isn't minnow bashing exactly.

Besides, he isn't the only one to have played in these countries in the last 2 years so he must have done something right.

He has a lot of problems, but scoring hundreds isn't one and we have really lacked a century making opener since Saeed Anwar departed. Salman Butt filled that void with his 8 hundreds in 6 years but Hafeez has taken it to another level.

6 in 2 years.

6 in two years with a mighty average of?

And which other opener has been given this long run despite being so average?

Any other opener would have been discarded after a few failures.

Wow. so hafeez bashed a minnow so we avoided a 2-0 defeat. am sure any other players could have done just a good a job if given the chance, when was last time he performed against a decent side?

Cant remember any in the recent past.

What a mind blowing average does Ronaldinho have... Monsterous..TBH.!!! :nasir

Infact even if Kohli and Dilshan have more centuries than him in the past two years, they should watch and learn a lot from his technique, temperament and skills..

especially those innings where he utilize his talents against the likes Steyn,Phila, Morkel,Anderson ..:hafeez

Speaking of Shehzad cars, we had a great time on this thread, with you being the usual butt of the joke.

I don't know if I should be concerned or flattered that you keep stalking my posts...actually feel a bit sorry for you to be honest.

As for me being the butt of jokes...a couple of Indian fans getting their knickers in a twist over my posts is no bad thing, really.

One of the best batsmen to watch when in full flow. Can play all the shots in the book. and is one of those rare players from sub continent who are good at playing pull and hook shots. When on song he can even play some innovative shots,something which is a rarity in Pakistan batsmen apart from Akmal maybe. He is one of the best bowlers in ODI's too so that makes him one of the most valuable modern day cricketers. If I were to be the coach I'd ask Hafeez to play his natural game and play his strokes. He is a stroke maker and can take the game away from you on a given day. Give him the license to play his shots in all forms of cricket and see him dominate bowling attacks.

I don't know if I should be concerned or flattered that you keep stalking my posts...actually feel a bit sorry for you to be honest.

As for me being the butt of jokes...a couple of Indian fans getting their knickers in a twist over my posts is no bad thing, really.

When you spouting out crap like a horse on julaab, being a butt would be your natural existence.....

Put it this way, name another odi opener who is worse than Hafeez today? Even Mccullum is better than him, shows how poor he is.

A decent T20 all rounder who should have been used as a bowling all rounder at #7 in ODIs and never played Test cricket (let alone as an opener).

That batting average of 35 drops down to 30.15 if you take minnows out of the equation

The man who has given hope to millions of hopeless and talentless people out there, making them believe they too can become international sportsmen.

An excellent player who's career obituary is being written before he's played against SA and SL in UAE

He was potentially a good batsmen , under achiever with the bat rather than underrated . Its too late though , I doubt many will remember him in 10 years time

just because the rest of our batting is atrocious does not mean his hundred was not against a minnow
fact is hafeez's centuries have come against new zealend, west indies, Zimbabwe(2), Ireland, india.. not 1 against a top bowling attack- he feasts on minnows

- A gun player in T20s, smart captain as well

- Very good all rounder in ODIs, batting form ran hot and cold whilst batting in the top order. Economical bowler, picked wickets of left-handers at will. Not a top order batsman by any means, should've batted at 6/7.

- Not a top order batsman by any means in Tests. Will never forget what Steyn did to him in SA.

- A gun player in T20s, smart captain as well

- Very good all rounder in ODIs, batting form ran hot and cold whilst batting in the top order. Economical bowler, picked wickets of left-handers at will. Not a top order batsman by any means, should've batted at 6/7.

So a bits and pieces mediocre all-rounder

That you can be an average player yet you can be a captain of Pakistani team!!

Good one-day cricketer: extremely useful bowler. Dangerous odi batsman.

Ordinary test player.

Greatest T20 captain ever.

Best T20 batsman in the world today.

How will Mohammad Hafeez be remembered in cricketing history?

He's not very good, so I guess not very well.

As a batsman, your level of success in Test cricket is often determined by how well you play good quality pace bowling. And as the South Africans displayed, Hafeez does not rate.

I seriously doubt that too many fans will remember Hafeez after 15-20 years.

I seriously doubt that too many fans will remember Hafeez after 15-20 years.

I seriously doubt many will remember Hafeez even 15-20 days after he is gone, or maybe I am being generous..make that 15-20 mins.

IF he is dropped from the Test team now or for SA series then definitely it will remembered as career K.O by Steyn

Attachments

• Dale-Steyn-wants-to-make-full-use-of-bouncy-tracks-Cricket-News-Update-118174.jpg
    Dale-Steyn-wants-to-make-full-use-of-bouncy-tracks-Cricket-News-Update-118174.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 225
Re: How will Mohammad Hafeez be remembered in cricketing history?

I seriously doubt many will remember Hafeez even 15-20 days after he is gone, or maybe I am being generous..make that 15-20 mins.

Lol you are a legend. :14: :))

Strange thing is how such a talentless player keeps getting picked in the side.

I totally agree with the view of the OP....

Hafeez is the real deal.... He is the 1 dat gives so much stability as the team can include or exclude a batting/ bowling option because of him....
If not bat then he bowls well in the match or vice versa... On a given day he clicks with both..thus becoming a match winner on the day

Greatest T20 captain ever.

Best T20 batsman in the world today

I agree that he has been brilliant as a captain

But calling him the best T20 batsman? Watson, Warner, Gayle, Jayawardene, Kohli, Baz, Morgan, DVilliers, Yuvraj are all better T20 batsman in my book and even by stats

But calling him the best T20 batsman? Watson, Warner, Gayle, Jayawardene, Kohli, Baz, Morgan, DVilliers, Yuvraj are all better T20 batsman in my book and even by stats

I don't care. He has been beastly as a batsman since he took over as captaincy :amir

Who's Baz? :13:

Despite being an abject failure this year in Test and most his career i cant see hafeez been dropped anytime soon as the fact hes VC seems to keep him in the side :facepalm:

He'll be remembered as one of the most 'undeserving' talents to have played International cricket.

Finally someone who appreciates the sterling work Hafeez has done for Pakistani cricket. However as fine a player he is, I fear he won't have enough time to be remembered as one of the all-time greats of the game. A top player nonetheless.

:)))

He won't be remembered as an all time great even if he plays for 999 years.

Re: How will Mohammad Hafeez be remembered in cricketing history?

This thread and that nightmare for Zimbabwe jinxed Hafeez. Add Cars112's creepy romantic obsession for Hafeez and poor blessed in all facets guy was doomed before his career started :(

one of the greats LOI all rounder who was unplayable for the lefties..

Mohammad Hafeez is one of the most undderrated players in the world. He attracts equals amount of praise and criticism even from Pakistan fans (and in my moments of frustration even I have heavily criticized him I admit!). But if I am honest, he is a remarkable cricketer, as evidenced by the below:

- 6000+ runs and 180 wickets in international cricket
- 1000+ runs in all three forms of the game
- 11 centuries in international cricket
- Economy rate of 4.00 in ODI cricket
- Test bowling average of 33 even though he is primarily a batsman
- As posted by a thread today, most MotMs in the last 2 years - so a match winning cricketer

Apart from his cricketing brilliance he is also well regarded by the cricketing fraternity as his nickname of "Professor" demonstrates.

So where will he be remembered in the cricketing pantheon? As he was dropped for a few years in his prime he will not go down as one of the greats. But to my mind a wonderful player nonetheless :hafeez

If no. of MOM shows a player is match winner, then what will you say about Ajmal, he dont have any MOM in his 92 ODI matches.

on topic, He will be remembered as one of pathetic player ever to play tests from Pakistan. Even he cant score & get wickets against minnows.

Might go down as one of our worst openers. No mean feat, considering we have the likes of Farhat, who are actually better than Hafeez :)))

Might go down as one of our worst openers. No mean feat, considering we have the likes of Farhat, who are actually better than Hafeez :)))
Hafeez>Farhat any day..at least Hafeez's innings don't look edgy..when he gets going he plays classy shots..in fact he's our Micheal Clarke as when in form..

Hafeez>Farhat any day..at least Hafeez's innings don't look edgy..when he gets going he plays classy shots..in fact he's our Micheal Clarke as when in form..

Looks can be deceiving. You know you suck when Farhat averages more than you

IF you are correct, hafeez will captain till 2017 (assuming misbah retires in 2015) !

He will forever be remembered as a tailender who was mistaken as a stylish top order batsman by our selectors

As the OP pointed out, such a fine player.

His latest batting averages -

Tests - 33.78

ODI's - 28.90

Where is the OP hiding? Such a remarkable player.

Where is the OP hiding? :))) :)))

Such a fine player.

I'm right here buddy.

No surprise that you've disappeared as soon as Hafeez returns to delivering his awesome performances. Course as soon as he has a failure or two you will be back to trolling and bumping this thread.

Anyway, don't want to let jealous people detract from this amazing cricketer.

He will forever be remembered as a tailender who was mistaken as a stylish top order batsman by our selectors

Yep, "tailenders" score three sizzling hundreds in a series and score 5 international hundreds in a year.

Yep, Shehzad and Hafeez those two pathetic/mediocre players. Whilst you pass judgment from your armchair, they are going out, sweating it out to bring glory for the country.

Says it all really.

Back