How will Mohammad Hafeez be remembered in cricketing history? What is his legacy?

cars112

First Class Captain
Runs
Mohammad Hafeez is one of the most undderrated players in the world. He attracts equals amount of praise and criticism even from Pakistan fans (and in my moments of frustration even I have heavily criticized him I admit!). But if I am honest, he is a remarkable cricketer, as evidenced by the below:

- 6000+ runs and 180 wickets in international cricket
- 1000+ runs in all three forms of the game
- 11 centuries in international cricket
- Economy rate of 4.00 in ODI cricket
- Test bowling average of 33 even though he is primarily a batsman
- As posted by a thread today, most MotMs in the last 2 years - so a match winning cricketer

Apart from his cricketing brilliance he is also well regarded by the cricketing fraternity as his nickname of "Professor" demonstrates.

So where will he be remembered in the cricketing pantheon? As he was dropped for a few years in his prime he will not go down as one of the greats. But to my mind a wonderful player nonetheless :hafeez

surly he will be remembered in the Harare sports club! or in Zimbabwean cricket.

Mohammad Hafeez is one of the most undderrated players in the world. He attracts equals amount of praise and criticism even from Pakistan fans (and in my moments of frustration even I have heavily criticized him I admit!). But if I am honest, he is a remarkable cricketer, as evidenced by the below:

- As posted by a thread today, most MotMs in the last 2 years - so a match winning cricketer

Apart from his cricketing brilliance he is also well regarded by the cricketing fraternity as his nickname of "Professor" demonstrates.

So where will he be remembered in the cricketing pantheon? As he was dropped for a few years in his prime he will not go down as one of the greats. But to my mind a wonderful player nonetheless :hafeez

there have been many batter cricketers than hafeez. Kallis, jaysuria..

Re: Where will Mohammad Hafeez be remembered in cricketing history?

A minnow bashing bits and pieces player who was owned by quality attacks. :steyn

Hafeez is an overrated batsman,,,he does not deserve to be batting in the top order of any test playing nation...if anything, he can slot in at no.7 and play as an alrounder..

And Hafeez will always be remembered as an ordinary batsman who bowled very decent off spinners..

Hafeez is an overrated batsman,,,he does not deserve to be batting in the top order of any test playing nation...if anything, he can slot in at no.7 and play as an alrounder..

And Hafeez will always be remembered as an ordinary batsman who bowled very decent off spinners..

You do realize that only NINE men in history have scored 1000+ runs in all three forms of international cricket?

Good player and nothing more. Could be considered an ATG in T20s,though, and possibly the best batsman in T20s of late.

You do realize that only NINE men in history have scored 1000+ runs in all three forms of international cricket?

well i wud rather give Hafeez back those 1000 runs (at an average of 27), and tell him thank u and good bye..

I do like Hafeez's bowling though..hate to see him bat in the top order..

as i said play him at no.6 or 7 in all forms of the game and i will be happy with that.

Minnow basher and a bits and pieces all rounder.

That MOM statistic is wrong.

If he came in at No.6 ot No.7 with those stats, then he might be remembered well and criticised less by Pakistani fans.

But the fact is, he hogs up a place in the top order and fails more often than not, and thinks of himself as a top order batsman.

How will he be remembered? In the same way as Afridi, Malik, Jadeja etc. will be. A serviceable bits and pieces player in other words.

Incorrect. Please don't go on hearsay and post it as fact. Do check for veracity before you do.

Yep, I do remember him destroying a certain minnow in Christchurch a few years ago. Do you remember that match, leatherface58?

Haha so he bashes us once and we are supposed to revere him. But then again, if a guy smashes a ton and sticks around for 16 years, then a guy scoring runs on a consistent basis deserves more respect even if it's against the Zimbos where even legends like Rob Nicol smash tons.

hew wont be remembered.
because he is positively mediocre

Dear why did you forgot to post his batting averages as he is a batting all rounder i believe...i hope it wasnt deliberate........

Haha so he bashes us once and we are supposed to revere him. But then again, if a guy smashes a ton and sticks around for 16 years, then a guy scoring runs on a consistent basis deserves more respect even if it's against the Zimbos where even legends like Rob Nicol smash tons.

Let's not get too cute, mate. Shouldn't be dissing Hafeez as a bits and pieces player when he has pwned your team in your own backyard.

Dear why did you forgot to post his batting averages as he is a batting all rounder i believe...i hope it wasnt deliberate........

Averages are not everything in cricket - only stats obsessed fans of some teams care so much about stats. Remember Hafeez is known as the Professor in Pakistan - his influence goes far beyond the numbers which in any case are brilliant for an all-rounder.

Averages are not everything in cricket - only stats obsessed fans of some teams care so much about stats. Remember Hafeez is known as the Professor in Pakistan - his influence goes far beyond the numbers which in any case are brilliant for an all-rounder.

Because stats dont lie.

:sachin

Averages are not everything in cricket - only stats obsessed fans of some teams care so much about stats. Remember Hafeez is known as the Professor in Pakistan - his influence goes far beyond the numbers which in any case are brilliant for an all-rounder.[/QUOT

So you can even make faisal iqbal better than Tendulkar or inzi if stats arnt anything for example.......
secondly what is his influence in Pakistan by the way???? he himself has been nurtured by Misbah till now in domestic cricket as well as intl cricket.....if you like him so much thats fine but dont make him a legend..i think ravindra jadeja and shoaib malik are better than him....

Let's not get too cute, mate. Shouldn't be dissing Hafeez as a bits and pieces player when he has pwned your team in your own backyard.

Whether I diss him or not is immaterial. His bits and pieces were strewn all over Cape Town, Johannesberg and Centurion for everyone to see. As far as pwning us goes, he averages a fabulous 21 with the bat against us. Now if it were even 30 odd, I would accept it. But sadly it isn't. See, good stats can be misleading. Poor stats can be misleading. Very poor stats are never misleading.

and kindly post his batting averages as well so that we can rate him better if you dont mind....

Averages are not everything in cricket - only stats obsessed fans of some teams care so much about stats. Remember Hafeez is known as the Professor in Pakistan - his influence goes far beyond the numbers which in any case are brilliant for an all-rounder.[/QUOT

So you can even make faisal iqbal better than Tendulkar or inzi if stats arnt anything for example.......
secondly what is his influence in Pakistan by the way???? he himself has been nurtured by Misbah till now in domestic cricket as well as intl cricket.....if you like him so much thats fine but dont make him a legend..i think ravindra jadeja and shoaib malik are better than him....

If you really think a one series wonder bits and pieces hack like Jadeja is better Hafeez then I have nothing to say. Get back to me when this Jadeja guy makes even ONE hundred in intl. cricket leave alone ELEVEN. That's more than most of the current Australian batting line-up btw.

If you really think a one series wonder bits and pieces hack like Jadeja is better Hafeez then I have nothing to say. Get back to me when this Jadeja guy makes even ONE hundred in intl. cricket leave alone ELEVEN. That's more than most of the current Australian batting line-up btw.

Waiting for you to post batting averages of Hafeez the prof....:dav

Great avg of 28 after so many matches...i think thats a young legend in making....

will only be remembered if Pak win the T20 World Cup 2014 under his captaincy and he plays a role in Pak winning WC 2015

as a man who had a terrible brainfart against india in a wc semi,which cost the team the wc and caused the fans a lot of heart burn:)

On a serious note he is one of the best cricketers in the world in T20 and his record as a captain is good in T20....wish him best of luck but will again say he isnt a test cricketer of world class and not an automatic ODI selection....

A world class minow basher. He will absolutely rape them if necessary.

I don't know where his career will end up. However, if he was to retire tomorrow, he'll be remembered as an often selfish player who was decent on friendly pitches, but atrocious on unfriendly pitches.

Actually a lower order batsman, who believes he is a top order batsman. However, an economical, useful bowler and a decent fielder.

Overall, not great. Average, occasionally useful.

T20 was invented 8 years ago.

Now ponder on that thought for a moment

Of what use are these hundreds and stats when they can't help you win the big tournaments and series? :sachin :21: When Mohammad Hafeez wins Pakistan an ICC tournament in England then we'll have a discussion about who is ordinary and who is a bits and pieces hack.

I am not sure if you're being facetious with your posts on Hafeez or if you really rate him as highly as you do. He's nothing more than a serviceable player at best. His test bowling average is misleading as he hasn't played many tests - similar to Afridi in that regard. Take your friend Jadeja, for example. Averages 19 or some such ridiculous figure, given the amount of hyperbole on this thread maybe I should start a thread comparing Warne and Jadeja! 11 international centuries is good but a breakdown of those doesn't make for good reading, trust me. I've no problem with Hafeez, I think he's a serviceable player. But to overrate him to this extent is ridiculous. He's in the same echelon of players that the Maliks and Afridis of this world find themselves in.

Last edited:
Where will Mohammad Hafeez be remembered in cricketing history?

Minnow basher. Nothing more.

You forgot to add about his excellent captaincy so far!he will be remmembered more than ramiz raja,sohail,mohsin and other freks eho just criticise pakistan cricket

Last edited:
The greatest minnow basher that ever has existed in the history of humanity and cricket unless he can prove us all wrong and go on a 50avg 10 game streak against SA and SL.

He'd be a Pakistani legend....

If he moved down the order

yeah. Don bradman played t20?

T20 are not even 10 year old. Hafeez is a hack like many others who have played for Pakistan in last 10 years.

Bits and pieces hack, minnow basher, and a comic character at press conferences.

Thats because they didn't have the third form till a few years back. Nice try though

But your post is all about stats?

6000+ runs and 180 wickets in international cricket

What is the above if not stats?

He will be remembered as a good player if he retires today.

Whether he can ascend to greatness or descend to mediocrity will depend on the next 4/5 years of his career which is all that is left in him.

How will Mohammad Hafeez be remembered in cricketing history?

He will be remembered as a great minnow basher.

Hafeez will remembered as a TTF and a minnow basher, one of the most mediocre players to ever play for pakistan.

He will be remembered as a good player if he retires today.

Whether he can ascend to greatness or descend to mediocrity will depend on the next 4/5 years of his career which is all that is left in him.

Finally someone who appreciates the sterling work Hafeez has done for Pakistani cricket. However as fine a player he is, I fear he won't have enough time to be remembered as one of the all-time greats of the game. A top player nonetheless.

AJ :eek:ne of the most mediocre players to ever play for Pakistan? I can think of at least 30 players ahead of him in that regard. Terrible Pakistan cricket fan you are.

Hafeez's legacy will be written in the next 5-7 years. He's done very well in the last few years to bring his average up from 18 (lol) to 27, and its only going one way from here. Solid all-round cricketer (not nearly great, but solid), calling him bits and pieces is harsh.

Last edited by a moderator:
On another note though if I was Umar Amin I would have told him to shut up. The stump mics are turned up in this series and Hafeez DOES NOT STOP TALKING :hafeez

AJ :eek:ne of the most mediocre players to ever play for Pakistan? I can think of at least 30 players ahead of him in that regard. Terrible Pakistan cricket fan you are.

Hafeez's legacy will be written in the next 5-7 years. He's done very well in the last few years to bring his average up from 18 (lol) to 27, and its only going one way from here. Solid all-round cricketer (not nearly great, but solid), calling him bits and pieces is harsh.

5-7 years?

How old is he?

From the current lot, Pakistan will only remember Misbah, Junaid, Ajmal, Afridi, Nasir, Akmal. Rest wont make the cut.

A poor mans Jadeja..... :hafeez been in the business for yonks, but only started blossoming once Sir came on the scene

:hafeez maybe known as the Professor in Pakistan, but Sir is known as Sir all over the world.

To answer your query Professor will appear as a footnote in the history of cricket.

Amazing how people speak of Hafeez as there are 20 of them lining up to take his place!

My mind just goes back to that 1st day of the 1st Test between Pak and England in UAE last year

Cook batting and Hafeez brought in ... how that set the pattern for of the most historic series wins EVER by Pakistan against England

From the current lot, Pakistan will only remember Misbah, Junaid, Ajmal, Afridi, Nasir, Akmal. Rest wont make the cut.

Have to still wait on junaid,nasir and akmal.
Don't think nasir wil make the cut,junaid and akmal have a good chance though

Great post. Like I say I don't think he has enough time to become an all time great of the game but no idea where all this negativity surround him is coming from. He is a class player and an integral part of our success in the last 3 years.

With an economy rate of 4.00 he would get into every ODI side as a bowler alone. Add 5 centuries to the mix with the bat and we're talking about a really special player here.

Only reason Hafeez average has risen is due to pummeling all the minnows + WI attacks in ODIS, his record against other ODI nations still sits around the mid to low 20s in terms of average.

The facts hes a so called "all-rounder" is only reason hes been persisted with so long!

Great post. Like I say I don't think he has enough time to become an all time great of the game but no idea where all this negativity surround him is coming from. He is a class player and an integral part of our success in the last 3 years.

With an economy rate of 4.00 he would get into every ODI side as a bowler alone. Add 5 centuries to the mix with the bat and we're talking about a really special player here.

5 ODI hundreds? can you let me know which top sides these were all against please?

Back