"I am bowling at around 145 kph consistently" : Mohammad Talha

Shayan

ODI Debutant
Runs
Mohammad Talha, a tall right arm fast bowler from Faisalabad first came to the attention of Pakistani cricket fans when he impressed at the age of 16 in a National Pace Competition set up by the PCB in conjunction with Pepsi. This attention resulted in him being brought into the Pakistan U19 squad where he participated in a number of tournaments. In 2008/09, Talha excelled for National Bank of Pakistan in the Quaid-e-Azam trophy alongside young pace prospect Mohammad Amir.

This good form resulted in him being called up to the Pakistan Test squad for the home series against Sri Lanka in Feb-March 2009. Talha was overlooked for the 1st Test but he gained his one and only cap in the 2nd Test at Lahore. Talha struggled in the 1st innings, his 17 overs going for 88 runs whilst picking up a solitary wicket. Unfortunately, the Test match was abandoned on the 3rd day after the terrorist attacks on the Sri Lankan players.

Talha's next selection for the national side came in 2011/12 for the England series in the UAE, but he suffered a back injury after picking up 4 wickets for the PCB XI in a warm-up game. He has since returned to the domestic circuit and is representing Port Qasim Authority in the President's Trophy.

In an exclusive interview with Pakpassion.net, Mohammad Talha spoke about his only international appearance, his expectations from the coming domestic season and his hopes for a recall to the national side.

PakPassion.net: How tough is it being a fast bowler in Pakistan domestic cricket on wickets that are regarded as batting friendly?

Mohammad Talha: It is very tough to be a fast bowler in Pakistan's domestic cricket these days. The pitches can be batting friendly and bowlers struggle due to that. On top of that, the type of balls being used has changed in recent times. We had Grays balls that were used in the past but the current use of the Australian made Kookaburra balls have definitely helped batsmen. You can see the effect of this in the increase in the number of centuries being scored. I reckon about 40-50 centuries have been scored by the batsmen in just the past two seasons and I am convinced that this is more due to the type of ball being used rather than the quality of bowling.

PakPassion.net: Pakistan has a history of producing fast bowlers. Do you think that's not the case now?

Mohammad Talha: No, I don’t agree with that. Of course I am aware of the fact that over the years, Pakistan has produced many legendary fast bowlers in the past - people like Fazal Mahmood, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, but it would be totally unfair to say that we don't have any good bowlers today.

Apart from the players who are part of our national team such as Junaid Khan and Mohammad Irfan to name a few, there are many others who have either played for Pakistan before or can easily make the grade. If I look at my own team (Port Qasim Authority), we have Sohail Khan and Mohammad Sami who are both genuinely quick and very talented. Mohammad Sami needs no introduction due to his international career but Sohail Khan has also played 2 Test matches and 5 ODIS as well. To think that none of these two bowlers cannot be regarded as good quality bowlers is not true. The fact is that we are still blessed with a promising group of pace bowlers in Pakistan.

PakPassion.net: You've only made one international appearance which was in the ill fated Test match at Lahore in 2009 against Sri Lanka. Do you think you will be given another chance soon?

Mohammad Talha: The match in 2009 brings back some painful memories for the whole nation as it was the time after which no international cricket was played in Pakistan. It still remains that case to date. However, personally speaking it was a great time for me as I finally got a chance to play cricket at the highest level. Although, I took only one wicket in the innings that was played, who knows what I could have achieved if the tour had progressed? So yes, I do hope I get another chance soon! I feel that I am in excellent form as I have taken 16 wickets so far in this season at an average of 20.18, including a performance of 4/60 against WAPDA. My aim is to take at least 50-60 wickets by the end of the season and earn a recall into the Pakistan team. I am completely focused and will try my utmost best to achieve that goal.

PakPassion.net: You moved to PQA from National Bank, do you think the move has worked out for you?

Mohammad Talha: Yes, I reckon it was a wise and timely move for me. I like playing for Port Qasim as they have got quality bowlers to look up to and a lot of well know personalities such as coach Rashid Latif and players like Shadab Kabir, Abdur Rauf, Tanvir Ahmed and Mohammad Sami etc. I am relishing the opportunity to play and work with them and I think it's a good career move for me.

PakPassion.net: Your PQA teammate Khurram Manzoor made a successful comeback recently to Test cricket. Is that a motivating factor for you for a return to international cricket?

Mohammad Talha: Yes, it is certainly a motivating factor not only for me, but also for the rest of the players. He scored a lot of runs in the last season and got the reward for his efforts. He grabbed the opportunity right away and scored a hundred against South Africa as well. His recall is also a positive sign for our side and we wish him well.

PakPassion.net: A lack of "A" tours must be a problem for a player such as yourself and other upcoming players in Pakistan?

Mohammad Talha: In the absence of international cricket in Pakistan, I think the "A" tours are really important for the development of our upcoming cricketers as they give great exposure to playing in alien conditions. I feel that "A" tours are very essential and help in unearthing new talent as well. It is a fact that there are no "A" tours at the moment whatsoever and that’s a major concern for the players. The more "A" tours that are organized by the PCB the better it is for our young players.

PakPassion.net: You are touted as the best fast bowler in Pakistan right now by Rashid Latif. What are your comments on that?

Mohammad Talha: I am honoured by his comments about me! I am glad that he has faith in my abilities as a bowler. Apart from being the team coach at PQA, he is also a mentor to me. It's obviously very important for a player that one's mentor is also your most ardent supporter and that’s what Rashid Latif is to me. I am trying my level best to repay his faith in me by performing well and putting in 100 percent effort in my bowling - the rest is up to ALLAH SWT.

PakPassion.net: What are your expectations in this domestic season? Do you have any specific targets in mind?

Mohammad Talha: The only target I have in mind is to bowl well enough to be considered for selection in the national team! My expectations are obviously very high. As I stated above, I have taken wickets in the first few matches and my aim is to end up with at least 50-60 wickets. Just like any other bowler in my position, my aim is to be named the best bowler of the President's Trophy tournament and earn a recall to the Pakistan team.

PakPassion.net: Who do you find the most difficult batsman to bowl to in domestic cricket?

Mohammad Talha: Well, there are a lot of good batsmen in our domestic cricket and it's difficult to pick one batsman who stands out in that way. If I had to choose one player then I would say that the toughest player to bowl to is Mohammad Ayub Dogar. He is a compact player and is not at all easy to dismiss. As you know, he has played one Test match for Pakistan and I find him to be a very tough opponent to dislodge and have also enjoyed playing against him as tougher opponents do bring out the best in every sportsman!

PakPassion.net: How was your experience of playing international cricket and how was the atmosphere inside the dressing room?

Mohammad Talha: Although, I played in one Test match and that too in a match which is remembered for all the wrong reasons, it was an experience that I will always cherish. It’s a dream to play for Pakistan for any young players and my dream did come true when I was selected for the team. It was obviously an honour when this wish was fulfilled. I was playing alongside big names in cricket such as Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq, Shoaib Malik and Umar Gul so it was an exciting time for me. I am glad to say that all of the players and the team management provided me with a lot of encouragement and backed me to do well in that match.

PakPassion.net: Port Qasim includes the likes of Abdur Rauf, Tanvir Ahmed and Mohammad Sami. Does this type of healthy competition help you become a better bowler?

Mohammad Talha: Yes, I have a lot to gain from players like them. All of them are very experienced, but the most helpful bowler is Abdur Rauf. He has a lot of experience which he loves to share. He has about 700 wickets in domestic cricket and I enjoy being in his company.

PakPassion.net: How fast are you bowling these days and is there still any room for improvement?

Mohammad Talha: I am happy with my pace these days but as ever, there is always room for improvement. I am bowling at around 145 kph consistently which is excellent as speed is an important part of any fast bowler's arsenal. However, as I have been told by my seniors as well as by my coach, pace is not the only element in a fast bowler's success. The key thing here is to take wickets by bowling accurately and with intelligence - simply bowling fast is not enough.

PakPassion.net: Pakistan lack a right arm pacer. Do you think you can fill that gap?

Mohammad Talha: Yes, that’s a fact. In Junaid Khan and Mohammad Irfan, we have a top class opening pair but it is also essential for any team to have variety as well. In my view, we are lacking a quality right-arm pacer and I am confident of filling that void. As I have suggested before, the plan is to work hard and make a comeback in the series against Sri Lanka in the UAE later this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deserved a chance a few years ago when he was in some real form but the usual inconsistent selectors didnt allow it. Recently his performances havent been as good but for a guy to get a 5fer against the English lineup in UAE he sure does have some potential. If he keeps up this good start to the season he has a really good chance of making it to the SL series.

Hope he doesn't bowl like :wahab at that pace or else he won't be in team for long if he do get his chance.

Deserves a chance. He is tall, athletic and genuinely quick. Much better than some of the others who have been given a chance before him.

Also can bat a bit down the order too.

Pakistani domestic fast bowlers don't seem to rate Junaid much.

I remember Sami having a similar interview a couple of weeks back where he mentioned the fact that Pakistan lack a genuine pacer.

Now Talha too didn't mention Junaid when he was asked about Pakistan's present fast bowling stock.

But more so, I feel its due the the fact that both Talha and Sami are genuinely quick and probably the fast bowlers in the country today and perhaps they don't see Junaid or maybe Irfan too as genuine fast bowlers.

I remember Sami having a similar interview a couple of weeks back where he mentioned the fact that Pakistan lack a genuine pacer.

Now Talha too didn't mention Junaid when he was asked about Pakistan's present fast bowling stock.

But more so, I feel its due the the fact that both Talha and Sami are genuinely quick and probably the fast bowlers in the country today and perhaps they don't see Junaid or maybe Irfan too as genuine fast bowlers.

They dont even take name of Irfan, who i think is fastest bowler (on avg. Pace) in Pakistan at the moment

They probably only rate pace. Line , length and swing for them are tertiary priority.

They probably only rate pace. Line , length and swing for them are tertiary priority.

They aren't bowling at :akhtar esque speed themselves....

I remember watching Talha on test debut he hardly crossed 145kph once or twice in his whole spell, Irfan and Junaid bowled quicker than that in SA-test series

Too Bad we have wasted a batsman like Mohammad Ayub , quite a few players rate him highly.

What a way to have your debut!

Just hope he gets a good coach to help him develop and polish his skills

How does he know he is bowling 145k? Bowlers always like to brag unless it is using a calibrated speed gun.

Sami is complete tripe. Talha from what I have seen is the type of bowler who will go at 4.5 an over in test cricket. Bowls a full length and doesn`t do much with the ball.

The little I've seen of him in domestic cricket is just raw pace, nothing else. A right handed Riaz minus the reverse swing.

For SL series he should be there i reckon play him in ODI's at-least team desperately needs a right arm genuine quickie will compliment the big fella :)

An excellent prospect - hope he keeps on staying in the news!

Its time for Talha

He is having his best season in some time picked up a 6 fer today. Saw him bowling the other day and he was getting the ball to shape away at brisk pace. He is 25 and this is the best time to induct him especially with Irfan expected to miss out on the SL test series.

Indeed. The guy is in red hot form and deserves another shot.

Talha has matured a lot. He has realized that 140-150kph pace alone is nothing for modern batsmen, especially since he is only 6ft2. He now has improved his ability to seam the ball and also gets an average bit of swing. More important than that, he tries to set-up batsmen and bowl to them with a plan through accuracy, instead of trying to rush them with pace each ball.

He should definitely play in ODIs, if not in tests.

Talha has matured a lot. He has realized that 140-150kph pace alone is nothing for modern batsmen, especially since he is only 6ft2. He now has improved his ability to seam the ball and also gets an average bit of swing. More important than that, he tries to set-up batsmen and bowl to them with a plan through accuracy, instead of trying to rush them with pace each ball.

He should definitely play in ODIs, if not in tests.

How do you know that he can do all these things?

He should be picked against Lanka. We need to have a genuine fast bowler in our team as an X-factor. Just look at Johnson.

Last time I saw him he was spraying the ball all over the place like a Sami or Wahab but if he's performed well recently I'd give him a go. His pace was overhyped before though, always was a late 80s type of bowler but perhaps he's added a few more mph.

id worry about that economy rate - its usually a good sign of control, particularly at domestic. if he hasnt got that under conrol, its probably likely he is another wahab. in which case, please dont bring him anywhere near the team.

i remember before that crook amir was picked for the side he not only was up near the top of the wickets table but his economy was amongst the best of the highest wicket takers. i think it really does matter.

How do you know that he can do all these things?

I read this

“I take pleasure in bowling on dead wickets,” Pakistan's 25-year-old tearaway Mohammad Talha says with the confidence of a man who seems to have banished all memories of the injury that put him out of cricket briefly.

It is a surprising statement coming from an express paceman but it signifies how Talha has programmed his mind into doing what he does best: going all out with ball in hand. Most importantly, though, as the lanky bowler puts it, he is now a more clever operator, something which he made a conscious effort at after returning from the spinal discinjury that he suffered ahead of Pakistan's Test series against England in the UAE in 2012 for which he had given a perfect audition.

Talha has been regularly bracketed with some of the rising young pacers in the country and experts acknowledge that as far as the speed gun is concerned, the Faisalabad-born fast man is a few clicks ahead of the lot. His domestic record is not too shabby either with 259 wickets in 67 first-class games and 87 scalps in 53 domestic one-day fixtures at an average of 27.83. “I have seen him operating, his speed touches 150kph and I think he is the fastest in the current lot, yet he has not been given any worthwhile chance to show his mettle by the selectors. He is being wasted which is very unfortunate,” former Test paceman Sarfraz Nawaz says.

Talha, however, remains optimistic and says his domestic performances will eventually pique the interest of the national selectors.

"I was a member of the side that played against England in a three-day warm-up game in the UAE, in the lead-up to the Pakistan-England Test series early last year. On a flat wicket, I dismissed a number of major England batsmen in that match. After this warm-up, I suffered from a back injury, and was sent back home. However, I had recovered fully within around ten days and took part in a competitive domestic one-day match claiming five wickets,” Talha recalls.

His notable performance for the PCB XI side in that tour match against England had come after a largely inconspicuous Test debut in 2009 against Sri Lanka in Lahore, which was unfortunately cut short after the terrorist attack on Sri Lanka's team bus.

“It was my first match at the top international level. The wicket at the Gaddafi Stadium was flat and we were bowling against the likes of Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene, Tillakaratne Dilshan and Thilan Samaraweera. Although I claimed only the wicket of Muttiah Muralitharan for 88 runs while delivering 17 overs, the outing gave me the opportunity to learn from that very brief yet important experience. Unfortunately, the match could not continue.” That harrowing experience, the back injury and the struggle to breakthrough onto the international scene has only made Talha a wiser, settled person and cricketer.

“Three, four years ago I was excessively belligerent, seeking to trouble batsmen primarily with my pace. However, now I employ 'mind games', backed by speed, to influence batsman. And I believe a quick, timely bouncer is very dangerous even for the very best batsmen.”

“I think all pace bowlers, including those with extra speed, need to have a certain plan. One should not expect an express bowler to come out and just bowl as fast as he can, hoping to disrupt the opponent's batsmen; it is simply not possible. Playing conditions, quality of opposition and match situation are the factors which makes a bowler devise a specific strategy against various batsmen at different times,” he elaborates. “Bowling according to set plans in domestic cricket, I have dismissed a number of batsmen currently playing in the national team.”

Out-and-out pace bowlers seem to have lost favour with current captains, who tend to go approach the game in a more formulaic manner. Greats like Imran Khan, Dennis Lillee, Malcolm Marshall and Waqar Younis may never agree fully to the logic and neither does Talha. But the young bowler also believes that a good captain should be aware of how best to employ his spearhead.

“Fast bowlers, particularly those possessing extra pace, must make sure that they manage their workload according to the level and requirement of a game to avoid major injuries and burnout. For instance, [former Test captain] Rashid Latif who is team coach of the Port Qasim Authority (PQA), for which I also play, has been using me selectively in demanding four-day first-class games, including those of the ongoing domestic season. This prudent use by the coach has helped me avoid major injuries so far,” he says, immediately bringing to mind the case of Mohammad Zahid.

Latif, too, is all praise of his bowler.

“If anyone deserves to be picked [in the national team] then Talha in my view should be the man forefront in the selectors’ radar when they sit down to choose the squad for the Sri Lanka series,” Latif says.

Inborn speed

Former stars Latif, Aaqib Javed, Ijaz Ahmed and Shahid Nazir have all been instrumental in Talha's progression but the bowler himself credits one more person who set the wheels into motion.

“I feel I had the passion for fast bowling right from the beginning, and my brother's assistance added skill to that passion. Then at the age of around 13, 14, I represented my school cricket team as pacer.

“Afterwards I also featured in club cricket, and was part of Faisalabad's Combined Cricket Club side who performed magnificently at a national-level event in 2007,” Talha, who looks upto Shoaib Akhtar and Dale Steyn, recalls.

It was after that tournament that Talha made his first-class debut, representing Faisalabad against Multan in a Quaid-e-Azam Trophy match. It was a season in which he picked up 18 wickets in the eight matches that he played. But according to Latif the paceman has improved vastly since then and can play in all formats of the game.

“In the past few seasons, Talha would get irritated and lose his focus when things didn’t go the way he would have wanted. But now he is composed on the field and waits for his opportunities simply because he’s an experienced player. Importantly, Talha is a genuine wicket-taker."
So, why has he not been able to get the selectors' nod for international cricket as yet?
“I do not know and have no idea. At my end I have been trying my best to excel in domestic circuit, my first-class is a clear evidence of it. I am ready and willing to continue to perform, hoping that I will finally catch the selectors' attention. There is always hope. God willing, I will emerge in international cricket soon on the basis of my performance. And I hope the cricket-loving people would give me genuine support in my endeavors,” Talha says.

He also has another major objective in mind.

“Yes, as a young aspirant I am definitely eyeing the next [2015] World Cup which is the most prestigious contest in world cricket.”

It could make for interesting viewing if the 6ft 2in Talha partners Mohammad Irfan at the World Cup in Australia where pitches will be more than conducive to the kind of firepower that the youngster possesses.

http://dawn.com/news/1059799

Also, from various accounts, he has a decent
Outswinger.

If he is in form he should get a look in. He has had sufficient years in domestic cricket, he is 25 years old and I do not want him to rot away forever in domestic cricket. Get him into the odi and t 20 team, if he was technical weaknesses work on them.

I have never seen the hype around talha, and with Bhatti making statements with bat and ball I doubt there is room for him

11 over 55 runs and 0 wickets in the second innings ... Not completely sold on this guy no matter how fast he bowls.

He can Bowl Fast like Sami,Wahab
but Line and Length Worry me most

Going at Econ Rate of 4 plus in Current president,s Cup :(

Wow this guy can bat too. I think he should be in the test squad for SL

With Gul looking increasingly unlikely for the test series, it is possible that Junaid and Talha may share the pace workload. Let's see how true his and Sarfraz Nawaz's claims are.

How tall is Talha?
From the pictures I've seen, he looks rather tall, but I can't be sure.

He bowls a full length which means that when the ball swings he will be dangerous but when it doesn`t he will go at around 4 an over.

Really been impressed with him in the first session. Bowled consistently 140+ with good control on a wicket where Junaid was bowling mostly in low 130s, it shows he was really bending his back.

Allways easy to be smart in hindsight but Talha could have been handy in the first two Test matches where the wickets suited quicks. Was good to see him move the new ball.

Hopefully both Talha and Junaid will get reverse swing going when the ball is older.

So he is not express as few claimed on PP.I really want to see a Pakistani bowler with express pace bowling at 150ks.Just makes cricket a lot more better and interesting.

No one apart from Johnson is express atm.

No one apart from Johnson is express atm.

Steyn is when he wants to be.

Milne is nearing Express catagory.

And few others as well.

Express for me means bowlers who avg speed is around 90MPH and who can touch 150ks on ocassions.

And few others as well.

Express for me means bowlers who avg speed is around 90MPH and who can touch 150ks on ocassions.

his first game back maybe he is holding it back though in domestic cricket I have seen him bowl and never looked express brisk but not express.

his first game back maybe he is holding it back though in domestic cricket I have seen him bowl and never looked express brisk but not express.

I am watching his avg speed and he seems to be bowling at speeds which Mohammad Shami bowls.Brisk.Enough speed to trouble batsmen if he moves the ball.

And few others as well.

average speed of 90mph? In a test match?

Currently Johnson is Fastest Bowler in world Follow by Morkel

Adam Milne is not Playing International Consistently

Pakistan Have Few Fast Bowler,s why are Capable of Touching 90mph

Wahab
Sami
Bhatti
Irfan
Now Talha
Usman Shinwari and Zia ul haq also Capable of Touching 90mph

He is much quicker than this usually in Domestic Cricket.

Has the capacity to bowl around that 150 mark.

FYI Johnson Only bowled 150K on bouncy track he averaged 142-143K.

average speed of 90mph? In a test match?

It's not easy but genuine fast bowlers do bowl at that speed for the entire test match. May be not in each test but I have seen many do that for whole test or series.

Brisk bowlers and they avg around 86-87 MPH in test matches.So i guess express bowlers should avg around 89-90 MPH.

I don't think that just averaging around 89-90 will put some one as an express. Since you are an Indian fan , I will give one example which you must have seen. I remember seeing the average speed of an Indian bowler,Yadav. He was bowling for the entire test series in India at an average speed of 142-143. That's around 88-89 MPH but you can't call him an express bowler by any stretch. He is a genuine fast but not an express.

Express bowling examples are Waqar(before injury), Akhtar, Lee and Johnson. They could bowl their entire spell above 90+. I don't care if their average speed in test match is still only 90 but an express bowler has to bowl few spells of sustained 91-95 MPH range.

On topic: I watched bit of Talha in this test. He seems like a genuine fast bowler and surely much better control than Wahab. I don't know why so many were calling him a right handed Wahab.

Last edited:
I liked the way he bowled today. He pitched it up and got it to swing a bit. He was trying to get it to reverse swing as well,which shows that he has the skill to do it.
He could be a match winner if he gets into rhythm. The rhythm wasn't as good as it should have been;he struggled with his run-up.
I think that he can bowl 90 mph if he achieves his rhythm.
:talha

Anyways,I would not like to hype him up and jump on the gun before he has played a full test. I would like to see him bowl in a couple of series;the intensity and pace would be a thing to keep an eye on.

It's not easy but genuine fast bowlers do bowl at that speed for the entire test match. May be not in each test but I have seen many do that for whole test or series.

I don't think that just averaging around 89-90 will put some one as an express. Since you are an Indian fan , I will give one example which you must have seen. I remember seeing the average speed of an Indian bowler,Yadav. He was bowling for the entire test series in India at an average speed of 142-143. That's around 88-89 MPH but you can't call him an express bowler by any stretch. He is a genuine fast but not an express.

Express bowling examples are Waqar(before injury), Akhtar, Lee and Johnson. They could bowl their entire spell above 90+. I don't care if their average speed in test match is still only 90 but an express bowler has to bowl few spells of sustained 91-95 MPH range.

On topic: I watched bit of Talha in this test. He seems like a genuine fast bowler and surely much better control than Wahab. I don't know why so many were calling him a right handed Wahab.

Yadav's top speed in tests is around 92-93(147-148ks) miles and he avgs around 89MPH that is quick by any standard.And even Yadav bowled around 150ks in Australia.Talha atleast is slower than that.Talha is more like Shami's pace tops around 145-146 and avg speed around 140ks.

I think he bowled slightly within himself seen as though it was important to keep things tight and he couldnt really go all out with us having a 2 man pace attack.

Yadav's top speed in tests is around 92-93(147-148ks) miles and he avgs around 89MPH that is quick by any standard.And even Yadav bowled around 150ks in Australia.Talha atleast is slower than that.Talha is more like Shami's pace tops around 145-146 and avg speed around 140ks.

I wasn't saying anything about the relative speed of Talha and Yadav here. I was only saying that Yadav doesn't bowl any spell where all balls are around 91-95 even though his average speed is high. I was making an point that express bowlers should be able to bowl few spells where they bowl around 91-95 MPH.

That's why, I don't see Yadav as an express bowler despite him maintaining a very high speed for the entire test series. People may differ how they define an express bowler but most folks want to see an express bowler bowling around 91-95 for their entire spell. Top speed with few balls don't make anyone an express.

He just ambles in and hits 140.

He can hit 145KPH easily with a better run up and bigger follow through.

However he may lose his control so it's better he sticks around this speed for time being.

He should follow the Steyn example - crank it when required.

I wasn't saying anything about the relative speed of Talha and Yadav here. I was only saying that Yadav doesn't bowl any spell where all balls are around 91-95 even though his average speed is high. I was making an point that express bowlers should be able to bowl few spells where they bowl around 91-95 MPH.

That's why, I don't see Yadav as an express bowler despite him maintaining a very high speed for the entire test series. People may differ how they define an express bowler but most folks want to see an express bowler bowling around 91-95 for their entire spell. Top speed with few balls don't make anyone an express.

Yadav consistently bowls around 90MPH and plus that is quick pace.Since speed guns arrived only Akhtar and Lee have bowled entire spells at 150ks.

Mostly if you bowl 90MPH and above consistently and bowl numerous balls over 150ks you are express.Though Yadav consistently bowls around 90MPH he touches 150ks occasionally.Though in IPL he has bowled 4 over spells where he is between 147-152ks consistently.

I still think Talha is a brisk bowler but not a quick bowler.

There is Huge Different between Sharjah Pitch and Australian Pitches :amir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNW_YgBxEyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E8OcnkFU1Q‎

Shoaib Akthar at his Peak

Bowling around in between 140-145kph on Sharjah Pitch

Junaid Khan was Ave 138-139kph in Dubai and Abu Dhabi in his first spell

Today he was Ave 133-134kph in Morning

Talha is Capable of Bowling 143-144kph

Mohd Shami is More of Junaid Khan pace

Yadav consistently bowls around 90MPH and plus that is quick pace.Since speed guns arrived only Akhtar and Lee have bowled entire spells at 150ks.

Mostly if you bowl 90MPH and above consistently and bowl numerous balls over 150ks you are express.Though Yadav consistently bowls around 90MPH he touches 150ks occasionally.Though in IPL he has bowled 4 over spells where he is between 147-152ks consistently.

I still think Talha is a brisk bowler but not a quick bowler.

Umesh Yadav was Consistently Bowling at 138-142kph Recently against SA in ODI Series

Ave Speed was 140kph

150kph is To Much Mate

i feel Yadav is Better test Class Bowler than how Good he is in Limited Over,s Cricket

Without going into exact figures and range, I think Johnson bowled 2-3 spells in Ashes which I see as express. A touch slower than Akhtar/Lee but faster than genuine fast bowlers. I will bracket Yadav as a genuine fast bowler.

Express bowlers are supposed to be rare.

I think that genuine fast is avg pace in mid to high eighties(85-86mph+) over a whole test match with the ability to crank it up 90mph+ in spells when required. eg Wasim bhai(though wasim can crank it up to well above 90)

Express is avg speed of 90mph or near it over a whole test with ability to crank it up to mid 90s. eg Waqar, Akhtar

Last edited:
Umesh Yadav was Consistently Bowling at 138-142kph Recently against SA in ODI Series

I have seen him with 88-89 MPH average speed on flattish Indian wickets against WI for the entire test. You don't need to always bowl at that range but only genuine fast bowlers can maintain that average speed on flatter wickets. He has bowled genuine fast but never at express pace. That's how I see it.

Putting few balls at high speed is not really a sign of a genuine fast or an express bowler.

I think that genuine fast is avg pace in mid to high eighties(85-86mph+) over a whole test match with the ability to crank it up 90mph+ in spells when required. eg Wasim bhai(though wasim can crank it up to well above 90)

Express is avg speed of 90mph or near it over a whole test with ability to crank it up to mid 90s. eg Waqar, Akhtar

A decent definition. You do need to bowl few spells at 91-95 to be called an express. It has to be few spells not few balls.

Last edited:
According to Cricinfo

Umesh Yadav is Medium Fast

Junaid Khan,Mohd Irfan,Wahab Riaz and Mitch Johnson are Left arm Fast

Dale Steyn,Morne Morkel,Tino Best Right arm fast

Umesh Yadav according to Cricinfo (Right arm Medium fast)

According to Cricinfo

Umesh Yadav is Medium Fast

Junaid Khan,Mohd Irfan,Wahab Riaz and Mitch Johnson are Left arm Fast

Dale Steyn,Morne Morkel,Tino Best Right arm fast

Umesh Yadav according to Cricinfo (Right arm Medium fast)

he hasnot played a test since long thats why he is not listed as RF yet

Last edited:
I have seen him with 88-89 MPH average speed on flattish Indian wickets against WI for the entire test. You don't need to always bowl at that range but only genuine fast bowlers can maintain that average speed on flatter wickets. He has bowled genuine fast but never at express pace. That's how I see it.

Putting few balls at high speed is not really a sign of a genuine fast or an express bowler.

Umesh Yadav Was 90mph Around Before Injury

But after Back injury (Which Happened to him in between England and India test series)

he is Now 138-141kph Average Fast Bowler like Junaid khan

Will Love to see veron aaron Bowling at 90mph

i heard Arron also Can Bowl Fast

Last edited:
Back