ICC Men's T20 World Cup | Pakistan v New Zealand | Sharjah | 26 Oct, 2021 | New Zealand innings

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
New Zealand play their first ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021 Super 12 match in Group 2 against Pakistan, who began their campaign with a historic win against India.

It took 13 attempts for Pakistan to finally get a win against India in World Cups, but when they did on Sunday, it was emphatic. The manner of their 10-wicket win, as much as the result, will give Pakistan confidence in their abilities as well as their plans for the rest of the tournament.

But, as skipper Babar Azam was quick to point out after the match, this is just the start for the team. "There's a long way to go in the tournament," he said. "It won't get easier just because we beat India."

Next up for Pakistan are New Zealand, a formidable team in global tournaments in recent years.

The Black Caps are playing their first match of the tournament, and will be keen to start strongly. They have batters who can clear the ropes at the top and in the middle, a reliable anchor in Kane Williamson, tall fast bowlers, quciks who can swing the new ball, and a spin attack with plenty of experience.

On the ICC Men's T20I Team Rankings, there is little to separate the teams. Pakistan are placed third, while New Zealand are fourth. Pakistan hold a historical edge over New Zealand in the format, though, having won 14 and lost 10 contests between the sides. The last series between the sides, in December 2020, went New Zealand's way.

The teams were supposed to play another series in Pakistan as part of their preparation for the World Cup, but New Zealand pulled out owing to security concerns. Pakistan made their disappointment clear about this, but skipper Kane Williamson didn't believe this encounter would be a "grudge" match.

"It was a really disappointing situation," said Williamson. "But there are a lot of good relations with the two teams over the years, we've played a lot against each other and a number of players have played with each other as well. So I'm sure it'll be played in the right spirit."

Fixture details
The match: Pakistan v New Zealand
Time: 18:00 local time, Tuesday 26 October 2021
Venue: Sharjah Cricket Stadium

The teams

Pakistan played the near-perfect game against India. Their fast bowlers were devastating in the Powerplay and clever with their variations at the death, while the spinners controlled the middle. They held their catches and their openers showed excellent timing and control, giving nothing away to the Indians. Their challenge will be to be consistent and maintain the intensity. They will also have to adjust to the conditions in Sharjah, where the inconsistent boundary sizes could come into play.

Probable Pakistan XI: Babar Azam (capt), Mohammad Rizwan, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Hafeez, Shoaib Malik, Asif Ali, Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf.

New Zealand lost their warm-ups to Australia and England, but their bigger concern was injuries. Opener Tim Seifert had an abdominal strain while Mark Chapman was monitored for a hamstring niggle. Williamson too has been nursing an elbow injury that flared up in the warm-up against Australia, so much so that he did not bat against England. However, the skipper confirmed all players were available for selection and while his elbow was "a work in progress", it was improving.

Probable XI: Martin Guptill, Tim Seifert (wk), Kane Williamson (capt), Devon Conway, Glenn Phillips, Jimmy Neesham, Mitchell Santner, Kyle Jamieson, Lockie Ferguson, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee

Key players

Mohammad Rizwan: The Pakistan wicketkeeper was promoted to open in T20Is for the first time against New Zealand in December 2020. Since then, he is at 87.18 average and 139.38 strike-rate as opener, as against a career average of 16.81 and strike-rate of 96.35 outside those positions. The third match of that New Zealand series saw him kick off this run with 82* off just 59 balls, accelerating at the death to chase down a target of 174.

He comes into this World Cup game fresh off a dazzling half-century against India, in an innings that showed just why he is ranked among the top 10 T20I batters currently.

Devon Conway: The left-hand batter has enjoyed success across formats since his debut for New Zealand a year ago. He has two 90+ scores in just 14 T20Is, including a high score of 99*, which came against Australia. He strikes at 151.11. While he has some familiarity with the Pakistan attack, he has not played international cricket in the UAE and it remains to be seen if he can tee off on the slow and low surfaces of Sharjah.

Ladder situation

If Pakistan win, they can go to the top of the Group 2 table with a healthy run rate. A New Zealand win will give the team their first points and they will be one of three teams on two points.

What they said

Kane Williamson, New Zealand captain: "They've got a very well-balanced side and a great mix of youth and experience, with Mohammad Hafeez and Shoaib Malik in the middle order, which brings a lot of experience to the side. Rizwan and Babar at the top of the order have been formidable in terms of their partnership and the quality they bring. So a very well balanced side and also a side that is very accustomed to playing here in the UAE."

Vernon Philander, Pakistan bowling coach: "We highlighted the importance of really staying grounded. Last night (against India) was a massive win for the boys, make no mistake about it, but we've got a tournament at hand and the boys want to stay focussed. Tomorrow is going to be another big game and the boys will reset and be ready."

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it

It will be interesting to see how we negotiate Ferguson who brings something that none of India’s bowlers do. He was also New Zealand’s best pacer in their warm up game against England.

It will be interesting to see how we negotiate Ferguson who brings something that none of India’s bowlers do. He was also New Zealand’s best pacer in their warm up game against England.

Playing at such a small ground will favour new Zealand

New Zealand start their tournament against Pakistan in Sharjah early Wednesday morning.

The game comes little more than a month after the Black Caps sudden withdrawal from Pakistan due to a security threat - a move which drew the ire of fans, players and officials in the cricket-mad nation.

The T20 World Cup clash with the Black Caps is the moment fans in cricket crazy Pakistan have been waiting for.

As Pakistan Cricket chairman Ramiz Raja no so subtly put it - a chance for "vengeance" after New Zealand abruptly ended last month's tour to a country starved of international fixtures.

Pakistan's Cricket Board (PCB) chairman and former team captain Ramiz RajaPakistan Cricket chairman Ramiz Raja Photo: AFP
A move which left Raja, and the rest of the cricket community in Pakistan, feeling angry and exploited.

"Fact is that we feel very strongly about how the withdrawal scenario was baited and exercised," Raja said.

"I feel that probably we were used and then we were binned which is extremely frustrating."

Fiery former fast bowler Shoaib Ahktar's reaction was less measured.

Much like he used to at the bowling crease, Ahktar let rip - slamming New Zealand for "killing Pakistan Cricket", before warning the Black Caps they would be seeing Pakistan at the World Cup.

Calls even came for Pakistan to boycott Wednesday's match, but Pakistan Cricket chief executive officer Wasim Khan said that was not the right response.

"I don't think the answer is not taking part or playing against New Zealand in the World Cup, I think we have a duty to the fans, we have a duty still to get out there and play.

"Our job should be to go out there and win that match."

The Black Caps, of course, have other plans for their tournament opener.

Coach Gary Stead said they are not getting caught up in what the match means to Pakistan.

"I'm not sure there is any more attention on it from our perspective. Obviously what happened in Pakistan was sad for Pakistan Cricket, their players but also our players who missed out on that opportunity as well," Stead said.

"So we can't change what's happened there now, so I'm sure it'll be an exciting game we always have good games with Pakistan and I'm sure this one will be no different."

Stead does have enough to focus on, particularly after Kane Williamson missed two of New Zealand's three warm-up games with an ongoing elbow injury.

With the Black Caps set to follow Wednesday's fixture by playing their final four group games in just seven days, the skipper's soreness is cause for concern.

But Stead is confident Williamson won't miss any matches if they can keep his hunger for practice in check.

"Kane is a prodigious hitter of balls, he loves to prepare that way as well and in some ways that's probably the worst thing you can do, so it's really getting that balance right for him between feeling ready and feeling prepared to go and making sure that we don't aggravate anything any further."

The rest of the Black Caps squad is fit and firing for an attempt to add a second world title in 2021.

Despite warm-up losses to England and Australia experienced opener Martin Guptill said the New Zealand side, ranked fourth in T20s, were optimistic about once again upsetting the oddsmakers.

"It's not going to be easy, there's a couple of teams we haven't played before and we haven't played Scotland in a long time, so we're going to have to sit down and have meetings and go through some footage and watch those teams and obviously Afghanistan have got some match-winners in their line-up as well so it's going to be a tough pool."

Pakistan will be equally confident, after starting their campaign with a 10-wicket win over arch rivals India on Monday.

Pakistan had been beaten by India on their previous 12 meetings in World Cups dating back to 1992.

Black Caps batting coach Luke Ronchi, who has played in the Pakistan Super League, said New Zealand knew getting underway in winning fashion would be no easy task.

"In these conditions they've played a lot of cricket, they know what they want to do and how they want to do it and they come with an aggressive style of cricket so we have to be on our game." Ronchi said.

"It's fun and exciting cricket to watch when they are playing and for us to come up against them as our first game is going to be really good for us."

Wednesday's match in Sharjah is set to start at 3am.

Black Caps squad for ICC T20 World Cup:

Kane Williamson (c), Todd Astle, Trent Boult, Mark Chapman, Devon Conway, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Kyle Jamieson, Daryl Mitchell, Jimmy Neesham, Glenn Phillips, Mitchell Santner, Tim Seifert (wk), Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, *Adam Milne (injury cover)

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/454242/black-caps-play-down-any-animosity-with-pakistan

Pakistan benefited from the dew in the second innings against India. I do not comprehend why the game cannot start an hour earlier so that the impact of the dew is minimized. Its like ICC wants the dew to have an impact.

Pakistan cricket authorities were left fuming after New Zealand ended the tour minutes before the start of the first one-day international in Rawalpindi, citing an unspecified security alert.

Williamson, not part of the squad in Pakistan as he was playing in the Indian Premier League in the United Arab Emirates, played down talk of a grudge match.

"There are a lot of good relations within the two teams. Over the years they've played a lot against each other, and a number of players have played with each other, as well," said Williamson on the eve of the match.

"I am sure the game will be played in the right spirit."

A week after New Zealand left, England also withdrew their men's and women's teams from a tour to Pakistan due to concerns over the physical and mental health of the players.

That prompted newly elected chairman of Pakistan Cricket Board Ramiz Raja to proclaim New Zealand will be one of the targets in the T20 World Cup.

"We had one team in our target, our neighbours (India), now add two more teams, New Zealand and England," Raja said last month.

Williamson, who admitted the decision to abandon the tour was based on New Zealand government advice, praised the Pakistan team.

"I suppose the focus now is here at the T20 World Cup, and no doubt after the performance last night, Pakistan have some momentum and are feeling pretty good about their cricket," said Williamson.

Title contenders
Pakistan thumped arch-rivals India by 10 wickets in the teams' opening Super 12 match in Dubai on Sunday.

Williamson labelled Pakistan as one of the "favourites".

"Yeah, I mean, it was a fantastic performance. I think Pakistan have come to the T20 World Cup full of confidence, having played in these conditions more than most," he said.

"They certainly put it on show last night and showed why they're one of the favourites in the competition."

Spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi took 3-31 to keep India to 151-7 in 20 overs before openers Mohammad Rizwan (79 not out) and skipper Babar Azam (68 not out) wiped off the target in just 17.5 overs.

"Tomorrow I'm sure they'll be very strong again, so for us, it's focusing on the cricket that we want to play and trying to adjust to conditions."

Pakistan can count on being well supported after playing most of their home matches in UAE in the wake of terrorist attacks on the Sri Lankan team bus in 2009.

Williamson said Pakistan, who at third are ranked one place above New Zealand in T20, have a key blend of youth and experience.

"They've got a very well-balanced side, and also a great mix between youth and experience with Mohammad Hafeez and Shoaib Malik in the middle order, as well, which brings a lot of experience to the side."

Williamson has declared himself fit after a recurrence of his elbow injury.

"My elbow is improving. It's just a work in progress. But I think all in all, it's showing improvement, which is good."

https://www.france24.com/en/live-ne...pects-no-acrimony-in-pakistan-world-cup-match

Please thrash them. Remember the events of that fateful day. :mv

If we don’t win the toss today then our batsmen NEED to go big. Anything under 160 and it won’t be defendable.

Luckily, we bat till 9, so Babar and Rizwan can afford to takes risks early on in the PP.

With the small boundaries and dew, you have kind of lost the match if you lose the toss

I don't see Pakistan loosing this, they are in hostile mode with Newzealand England backing out last minute. GOODLUCK williamson :ravi

One ground where I would play both Asif and Haider.

Drop Malik for Haider.

Those two can take advantage of the small boundaries.

I don't even care. I want Pakistan to hurt them. Hurt them where it hurts most and hurt them further. I won't take anything short of drubbing New Zealand to ground and quiver them in even picking up bats in their next game. This must be their last meaningful game of this tournament.

I don't even care. I want Pakistan to hurt them. Hurt them where it hurts most and hurt them further. I won't take anything short of drubbing New Zealand to ground and quiver them in even picking up bats in their next game. This must be their last meaningful game of this tournament.

Relax mate. Its cricket after all no need to be so hateful. NZL players are generally v well behaved and have respect for other teams. If we want to hurt Nzl then yes we need to beat them, send a message to NZL board now what do you still wants to run after money.

NZ is a dangerous side, play with intensity and passion hopefully they could come up with goods. It won't be easy though!

NZL can surprise us. We have to be top of our game to beat them. I believe we should drop harris rauf for nawaz and haider ali for asif. Must get the youngster in the playing 11, so he can become a good cricketer.

The indian whooping should be a teaser to what the bois need to do against NZ to prove a point to nzc to stick it to them...

BLACKCAPS paceman Lockie Ferguson has been ruled out of the ICC T20 World Cup in the UAE with a calf tear.

Ferguson felt tightness in his right calf following training last night (Tuesday) and a subsequent MRI scan on game-day revealed a grade two tear which would require three to four weeks recovery.

With the BLACKCAPS set to play five pool games over the next 13 days, coach Gary Stead said they had no option but to rule Ferguson out of the tournament.

“It’s a real shame for Lockie to have this happen on the eve of the tournament and the entire team is really feeling for him right now,” Stead said.

“He’s a massive part of our T20 side and has been in such good form - so to lose him at this time is a blow.

“However, we are fortunate to have a like for like replacement in the form of Adam Milne who has been with the squad training for the past two weeks.”

Stead indicated Ferguson would be replaced in the 15-player tournament squad by Adam Milne subject to approval by the ICC Technical Committee.

Milne is already in the UAE with the team having been selected in the squad as traveling injury cover, but won’t be available to play until ICC approval has been received making him unavailable for today’s Group Two match against Pakistan in Sharjah.

If pak can somehow win this then we can all sit back and enjoy the rest of the group stage without any pressure, what a position that would be

Wow no Ferguson. Huge blow to NZ since that is someone Pakistan have struggled against.

The Indian victory was so sweet

Even if we lose this game, it will cause more pain to India!

I wish some of Babar's luck rubs on to our panauti captain after all the hugging they did.

Pakistan will be chasing under lights in Sharjah. Every day is not Sunday and every ground is not Dubai.

#JustSaying

:kp

Chose to field and no changes. The winning combination and strategy continue ��

I have never been a negative person but still today i feel pak should have batted first dont just follow same winning pattern it can come to bite at some stage. And yelling of shoaib akhtar is not helping us either. May God bless this team

Williamson names his bowling attack: Southee, Boult, Sodhi, Santner and Neesham.

I believe Neesham is the weak link. We can target him.

In my opinion, the Pakistani cricket team should do a Haka before the Kiwis to intimidate them before the match starts to signal them the hell fire that awaits them in the match.

Good decision to bowl first. Hopefully, we will bowl full quota of 3 spinners as NZ will enjoy our pacers more.

Lo ji won the toss, won 50% of game already, now just need to assess NZ security.

Teams batting first in Sharjah have won 61% of the games. ��

Pak took the sl route rather than the afg route, unfortunately we don’t have the power hitters to knock the team out the park first innings, with the dew you need to set a above par target other wise you are always second favourites

Teams:

New Zealand (Playing XI): Martin Guptill, Daryl Mitchell, Kane Williamson(c), Devon Conway, Glenn Phillips, James Neesham, Tim Seifert(w), Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Trent Boult

Pakistan (Playing XI): Mohammad Rizwan(w), Babar Azam(c), Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Hafeez, Shoaib Malik, Asif Ali, Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali, Haris Rauf, Shaheen Afridi

Pakistan have won the toss and have opted to field

Too much nervousness, need to win this game no matter what.

I hope they are not over confident.

Pakistan bowling first is the right decision with the small boundaries and Dew

Malik let’s it go for 4

Terrible effort!

Poor last ball of the over also by Imad

Back