ICC World Cup 2023: India (357/8) thrash Sri Lanka (55) to win by a mammoth 302-run margin

Really poor stuff from Jadeja. That's a deficit of at least 20 runs we are looking at.

Good innings by the Guj Rajput bhaiyaad warrior - 35 odd off 25 odd is what you'd expect from your num 7....
and yet people here are dissing him off as a dud....Gee whiz

So if india is 7 down. Expect to be all out for 20 Max? Sounds right. Most teams can do 35 to 45 with tail.
It is 50/50 some teams collapsed in the back end and failed to achieve the desired target. Disadvantage of having a strong tail is you will keep leaving to the other batsman and end up getting b owled out sooner than you think. In India's case they will go slow and put up a par total. Even with all that India has posted 357. After allt he belting by SA they posted only 382 here.

Sri Lanka should be disappointed with their death bowling after clawing this back through wickets. Should have cleaned it up after Iyer.

Then again, the score was already insurmountable in any case. There's no chance they'd chase 320 under lights against India's attack, zero! There's been so much chatter about easy batting conditions under lights, time and time again it's been proven a myth in this WC.

The ball nips about for the first 15 overs with steep bounce on offer. Good luck with that

People have very low expectations from Indian cricket if they think what Jadeja did today was alright.

lol, this is accepting outright mediocrity in this day and age.

I know we are looking at a new player but madhushanaka is looking like a quality bowler. 23.6 average. Even in list A he averages 23 and in first class it'd 20.1
Granted he has only played 12 games in first class and like 11 in list A. It's very impressive nevertheless.

People have very low expectations from Indian cricket if they think what Jadeja did today was alright.

Easy change for axar or sundar.

He tuks tuks till 49th over and makes up with a 4 and 6. But we forget how much pressure he puts on the non striker until that point.

That's too harsh ..If he was out for single digit that deficit would have been 40.
Why was he supposed to get out for a low score? He is batting in middle order and is expected to flay attacks especially after being given such a solid platform

In Indian cricket setup, captain is the king especially from Dhoni era.
That's detrimental imo. India has good enough front line bowlers to take 10 wickets in any conditions in the world these days (crazy how times have changed). There's then no need whatsoever for players that offer cameo roles

He tuks tuks till 49th over and makes up with a 4 and 6. But we forget how much pressure he puts on the non striker until that point.
This. Try telling this to the ones who think he was perfectly alright.

lol, is it that difficult to understand?

Really poor stuff from Jadeja. That's a deficit of at least 20 runs we are looking at.
He's garbage in ODIs Washington Sundar far better hitter , Don't know why they left tilak Verma that guy can ball a few overs aswell and they left one more pace bowling all-rounder iyyyer he improved his bowling alot and a handy batter down the order better than pandya

Had Jadeja been any good with bat we won't have been feeling the absence of Pandya.

That's detrimental imo. India has good enough front line bowlers to take 10 wickets in any conditions in the world these days (crazy how times have changed). There's then no need whatsoever for players that offer cameo roles
Yep about 10 years back who would have thought that huh? Indian bowlers being best in the world. But that is the case now. I still put SA and india on par. Neck and neck. Depends on conditons.

On slow sluggish ans turning pitches india have the advantage.
On seam friendly wickets it's pretty even. Slight edge to SA I would say due to jansen.
On flat bouncy wickets is where SA is slightly better due to extra height.
On low bouncy flat surfaces india should hold the advantage.

No wonder we haven't won any trophy during last decade or so! How incidental!

He's garbage in ODIs Washington Sundar far better hitter , Don't know why they left tilak Verma that guy can ball a few overs aswell and they left one more pace bowling all-rounder iyyyer he improved his bowling alot and a handy batter down the order better than pandya
Jadeja may be good with ball in certain conditions but he isn't a tenth of a middle order LoI bat in this day and age. That's certain.

Jaiswal
Sundar
Tilak varma
Axar

Look at the talent of india. Insane. And then we see some duds being selected.

I do agree however jadeja the bowler is better than sundar and axar however on flat pitches he won't do much as a bowler anyway.

Yep about 10 years back who would have thought that huh? Indian bowlers being best in the world. But that is the case now. I still put SA and india on par. Neck and neck. Depends on conditons.

On slow sluggish ans turning pitches india have the advantage.
On seam friendly wickets it's pretty even. Slight edge to SA I would say due to jansen.
On flat bouncy wickets is where SA is slightly better due to extra height.
On low bouncy flat surfaces india should hold the advantage.
On the biggest stage talent alone isn't enough (time and again the Springboks have proven that and other successful sides). What it comes down to is temperament, India has that in spades. South Africa? Not so much. It's all about Big Match Temperament (BMT), unfortunately we've never displayed. India are the outright favourites, rightly so.

Jadeja is alright all rounder. However, he should be batting No.8. He is batting one position too high.

Ideally Pandya must be batting No.7. But then India has to part with either a batsman or a bowler. A very difficult decision.

Indian think tank hasn't tried anyone so how is anyone supposed to know?
Sundar and Axar are better hitters than Jaddu. But their bowling is slightly weaker. Jaddu is also a gun fielder. Sundar and Axar are average fielders.

Jaddu is close to 35. He will be gone in a year or two. I believe Sundar will take his place eventually. Axar will be an in and out kind of player forever.

lankans aren't getting anywhere near this total, another one-sided contest on the cards
india win by 100+ runs

Jaiswal
Sundar
Tilak varma
Axar

Look at the talent of india. Insane. And then we see some duds being selected.
Sundar played handy cameo in that Gaba test but that guy hardly get applauded for that ,Jadeja isn't good odi player and will never be fraudeja actually. I can't recall there's one more Iyyer guy well built and tall he's good six hitter and recently improved his bowling but I am pretty sure that Pandya won't let him come in team cause he's Pandya's Replacement.

Sundar and Axar are better hitters than Jaddu. But their bowling is slightly weaker. Jaddu is also a gun fielder. Sundar and Axar are average fielders.

Jaddu is close to 35. He will be gone in a year or two. I believe Sundar will take his place eventually. Axar will be an in and out kind of player forever.
Agree with this.

Indian think tank hasn't tried anyone so how is anyone supposed to know?
Jadeja in last 4 years is a proper test class batter, run fests on flat pitches are not the only test of batsmanship. Axar might hit better than jadeja but in tight situations like the nz match jadeja is much better, and Sundar is nowhere near as a bowler .

FWIW even if pandya returns ind should still stick with this same combination. Gives 5 proper bowlers.. if pandya is picked it has to be in place of sky harsh it may sound. He can't come in for siraj bcos that weakens the bowling considerably

Jadeja in last 4 years is a proper test class batter, run fests on flat pitches are not the only test of batsmanship. Axar might hit better than jadeja but in tight situations like the nz match jadeja is much better, and Sundar is nowhere near as a bowler .
Hitting is what is required in this role what Jadeja is expected to play. Nobody is asking how good he is as a test batsman

Sri Lanka beat India in 2017 CT and 2021 Asia Cup.

Can they do it again?

SL chased a big total down in 2017 CT (against India).
There was no asia cup in 2021. It was held in 2022 where SL beat Ind. But it was t20 format.

Unless Kusal Mendis has one of his days, this score should be enough. But this game showed the lack of fire power down the order. Jadeja is not an AR in LOIs. I would even take Shadab over him.

Man, I feel for Nissanka. How do you play that outswinger from such a wide line . Ridiculous

In any case, if you guys don't trust the sanctity of this game why bother playing it then?

Lol, what a start. Looked as if it was going down leg, then swung away. Batsman had no chance, what a delivery that was

Sundar played handy cameo in that Gaba test but that guy hardly get applauded for that ,Jadeja isn't good odi player and will never be fraudeja actually. I can't recall there's one more Iyyer guy well built and tall he's good six hitter and recently improved his bowling but I am pretty sure that Pandya won't let him come in team cause he's Pandya's Replacement.
Venkatesh Iyer is an inferior version of Pandya. He made a splash in his first year in IPL and then fell off the radar. He is a legside player and got exposed for that. However, in last IPL, he made some improvements. Still not ready for international call up. His bowling is mediocre too. Not even close to Pandya. Hardik is 100 times the fielder that Venkatesh can ever be.

Sundar deserves a long run. He has the talent to be a class all rounder. I like Sundar's bowleing more than his batting. I can see him more in Indian colors after this World Cup. Some new faces like Jaiswal, Tilak and Shaw will get chances right away. We will see Rohit take a back seat slowly.

Why was he supposed to get out for a low score? He is batting in middle order and is expected to flay attacks especially after being given such a solid platform
What's the alternative who can bowl 10 overs economically ..He is bowling at economy rate of 4 in this high scoring world cup ..Got opportunity to bat just for two innings and scored 30s ..

Unless Kusal Mendis has one of his days, this score should be enough. But this game showed the lack of fire power down the order. Jadeja is not an AR in LOIs. I would even take Shadab over him.
Who on this planet would take shadab over jadeja?

Jadeja was striking at a 145 sr and is a gun spinner?

Konsa match dekh rahei ho?

Similar delivery that wicket taking delivery, just outside off

FWIW even if pandya returns ind should still stick with this same combination. Gives 5 proper bowlers.. if pandya is picked it has to be in place of sky harsh it may sound. He can't come in for siraj bcos that weakens the bowling considerably
Cant have pandya and jadeja bowling 20 overs if siraj is dropped and shami has an off day. Plus not even sure if pandya can bowl 10 full overs. Need a potent 5 bowler attack especially in sf and final..

It is even harder to face a bowler who releases farther from the crease than any other bowler. Ball comes at you much quicker. Quiet a handful passage. You can't even slog your way out

If SRL wants to win this, then they have step up their batting 8 times from the last asia cup final….. 2nd wkt for India

NZ will be very happy at this result from what i heard. Not sure why. But an article said it helps them a lot.

Sri Lanka's NRR might get a horrible beating here.

Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Netherlands and England fighting it out for a spot in the Champions Trophy. Quite interesting.

Back