ICC World Cup 2023: Netherland (245/8) beat in-form South Africa (207 all out) by 38 runs to win their first match of the tournament

Its clear they are 4 categories of teams in this World Cup.

Category 1 : India, Nz
Category 2: Aus, Pak, Eng, SA
Category 3: Netherlands, Afghanistan
Category 4 : Sri Lanka, Bangladesh

I have to see more of Bangladesh to decide if they belong in Category 3 or 4.

No such thing and long way to go in the tournament

Its clear they are 4 categories of teams in this World Cup.

Category 1 : India, Nz
Category 2: Aus, Pak, Eng, SA
Category 3: Netherlands, Afghanistan
Category 4 : Sri Lanka, Bangladesh

I have to see more of Bangladesh to decide if they belong in Category 3 or 4.
India clearly are in a class of their own. NZ also belong to Category 2. I don't think they have more than a 50-50 chance against Afghanistan tomorrow in Chennai.

this game and eng vs afg have revived this tournament.
in both games, the low bounce in the second innings have made it tricky to bat on.

miller was bowled off a ball that was pitched relatively short

Horrible play by SA here, but it made upcoming matches way more important for most teams.

Pakistan will be more than happy with south Africa's loss to the Dutch. We don't know what might we be dealing with in the points table when all the group games are done.

A lot of hate on Pakistan here but I would love another meeting with India in the knockout stages

They had a golden chance to beat the Aussies yesterday had they not capitulated in their batting yesterday...a score of 280 plus would have challenged the Aussies.
They got very good start also , if they had got more runs , they would have defeated Aussies.

Pak will reach semis if they play proper spinners abrar and Usama. Sides other than India and NZ look inept mentally and skill wise too

Pak will reach semis if they play proper spinners abrar and Usama. Sides other than India and NZ look inept mentally and skill wise too
We don't have much to lose so no harm in trying them out.

A lot of hate on Pakistan here but I would love another meeting with India in the knockout stages
India have always beat us in the World Cup, but have they beaten us twice in a World Cup , I think not !😎

Pakistan first aim should be save dignity rather than LIFTING the WC, and that is to win against BD and AFG

Sa delaying the inevitable losing is one thing but losing against a minnow is embarrassing

They got nothing better to do other than weep over Pakistan, which is always a pleasure to see. Pakistan despite valid concerns and out of form players are well capable of reaching semis and final. They make tournaments exciting and they don't play boring cricket. Usually among the best limited over teams in major tournaments

What must be going through Mahajar and Ngidi mind would be interesting to know

NrR should be scrapped no. Of sixes or wickets taken or SR of captain should be the criteria for qualifications

Good teams arrest a collapse after the fall of one two wickets, not go into "tu chal mein aya" mode.

All of Ifti, Rizwan, Shadab, Nawaz and Hasan started bricking
It's not like it hasn't been done in history before. Champions trophy 2017 Pakistan was beaten badly in the first game against India. Pakistan needs momentum which can come by beating good sides in this world Cup. If Pakistan can secure a semi final spot by beating like of NZ, Australia Pakistan will be dangerous.

Eng/SA lost to minnows and Aus lost 2 games already, they will be eager to pummel Pakistan, I hope NZ calm down Afg else we are in for a bumpy ride.

What a strange team SA are. They always find a way to make a mess of things and choke in the WC.

Great victory for the Dutch and they are clearly showing the ability to upset teams. Great win for the country.

I like how the Netherlands team actually has Dutch people in it rather than just subcontinent immigrants.
Yep. You actually want to back them as an associate team as opposed to UAE or Canada which is full of expats playing cricket as a hobby from their regular jobs.

as a first world country if they seriously started trying to put money into their cricket, they’d go very far. They are an athletic and active people.

Congrats to the Dutch. Awful performance with bat and ball by South Africa though. 140/7, to then concede 107 runs in 9 overs is unforgiveable. Shamsi should play all the remaining games. Has more control than any of the seamers anyway

Back