ICC World Cup 2023: Netherland (245/8) beat in-form South Africa (207 all out) by 38 runs to win their first match of the tournament

Next upset will be on Friday when minnows Australia are going to wreck the real #1 team.
Actually if Eng Aus NZ or SA anyone or possibly ALL of them defeat the number 1 or number 2 ranked team in the world it will technically be an upset. Are we going the see all 4 upsets this world cup.I guess the next 2 weeks will tell.
And then there is Afghanistan in Chennai...waiting

Good over by Roeloff. A couple more tight ones will force the mistake.

Come on!

Come on Dutch, relying on you to keep the perennial chokers tag on SA

Edit: Wicket :ROFLMAO:

Miller choked big time how can you choke twice you were dropped and then you get out like that never seen him winning pressure match for sa

In a shocking turn of events, Ned is now looking to improve their NRR

Now South Africa can't win this game . still more than hundred runs need to scored which is highly unlikely

I think I need to study a bit about SA to understand why these players are mentally so weak.
I know one thing that Dutch landed in SA in 17th history and their domination continues till date 😃

Van Meekren has been very impressive . I am sure a few ipl franchises are watching him with interest , given the variety he has

South Africa are having their customary choke moment of the World Cup earlier than usual.

D
I think I need to study a bit about SA to understand why these players are mentally so weak.
I know one thing that Dutch landed in SA in 17th history and their domination continues till date 😃
do you think they are mentally more weaker than pakistan?

Maharaj was instructed to bat 50 overs. There will be new instructions coming soon to score some too

Not only SA losing the match they will br taking a net run rate dent. Pakistan have to win next 2 matches at any cost

Its clear they are 4 categories of teams in this World Cup.

Category 1 : India, Nz
Category 2: Aus, Pak, Eng, SA
Category 3: Netherlands, Afghanistan
Category 4 : Sri Lanka, Bangladesh

I have to see more of Bangladesh to decide if they belong in Category 3 or 4.

Need to see NZ play a bit more. Easy win vs an evidently poor Eng (quantified by another poor result vs AFG) isn't enough of a gauge. They've applied themselves well though.

Just goes to show that these upsets do happen and Pakistan losing to Ireland in 2007 on an absolute green top wasn't ridiculous. We as fans need to accept that once in a while these sort of upsets will happen and not tear the players to shreds when it happens.

World Cup upsets:
WI lost to Kenya
Pakistan to Bangladesh & Ireland
India to Bangladesh
England to Ireland & Afghanistan
SA to Netherlands.

Well Srilanka had to get their act cleaned up, couldn't defend 345 and did a Pakistan in their last game, could easily been in Category 2, had those two games gone their way.

So much for Pakistan being unpredictable, these guys take the cake.

They thrash Australia then proceed to lose to Netherlands in the next game lol

Just goes to show that these upsets do happen and Pakistan losing to Ireland in 2007 on an absolute green top wasn't ridiculous. We as fans need to accept that once in a while these sort of upsets will happen and not tear the players to shreds when it happens.

World Cup upsets:
WI lost to Kenya
Pakistan to Ireland
India to Bangladesh
England to Afghanistan
SA to Netherlands.
Netherland beat sa in last year t20 world cup too

World Cup upsets:
WI lost to Kenya
India to Bangladesh
SA to Netherlands.
Didn't India lose to Zimbabwe as well in 99?

World Cup upsets:
WI lost to Kenya
India to Bangladesh
SA to Netherlands.

Add Kenya beating a world class Sri Lanka team in the 2003 WC.

Didn't India lose to Zimbabwe as well in 99?
Zimbabwe at that time was a strong side. I wouldn't call it a great upset. Upset yes, but not something unimaginable. Zimbabwe also beat SA in the same World Cup.

I sometimes feel bad the way we choke games… but this… this is incredible. 2x in 2 years.

9 down now and still 80 runs behind...even the upsets in this WC are not close but one sided!

Back