ICC World Cup 2023: Netherland (245/8) beat in-form South Africa (207 all out) by 38 runs to win their first match of the tournament

Why are South Africa insistent on bowling first in games against minnows?

Due to variety of surfaces. And also pitch reading is awful by many sides. They make presumptuous decisions based on other results.
The variety of conditions and the rapidly changing conditions even within a single match in India

I said this in another thread, one paced pre-planned sides will flunk here. Teams that react to changing conditions and adapt very quickly are the only ones with a chance .

Choked with the ball by letting the Dutch off the hook after letting them score 249 after being 140 odd for 7 to now choking up with the bat...
Yes I was just checked scored 15 mint ago really shocked as they were scored 249 . How badly they were bowled after 15 over ??

Was stuck in horrendous traffic so decided to switch on BBC TMS.

Got a real jolt when I heard the score ! Last time I checked, NED were 105-5.

Could be Adelaide 22 all over again.

About 1st one I'm really upset that india didn't win the game inside 20 over when they were coming to bat. Really upset me :)
Yup, I was honestly annoyed .. 25 overs was max it should have taken. Personal milestones again hurting india

Miller will have to score the winning run here for SA. One of those rare SA cricketers who can control his nerves

The South African openers played Pakistani style batting today. At the 10th inning, they were 39/2. With such start, they put themselves in unnecessary pressure allowing the Dutch bowlers to attack.

Why would they bat first on rain shortened game
Dew is playing with the teams. Batting second is supposed to be easy with heavy dew. But if there is no dew, the ball will nip around initially under lights.

Gradually, we are getting into the phase of WC, when nerves will be stressed and chasing will become difficult, regardless of the condition.

Nailed it. Rohit was supposed to get out first over to Shaheen. India was supposed to fold after Kohli got out. I attribute this shocker to 130 thousand Jai Shri Ram chants.
You forgot Bobby darling who was supposed to score 400 runs all on his own!

Dew is playing with the teams. Batting second is supposed to be easy with heavy dew. But if there is no dew, the ball will nip around initially under lights.
Especially now that it's getting cooler in Northern Indian venues , it will zip and do a fair bit under lights.

Ned exposing SA batting. The bazball works when teams bat deep. SA doesn't bat deep. This will put a huge dent in their confidence and question their approach.

Ned exposing SA batting. The bazball works when teams bat deep. SA doesn't bat deep. This will put a huge dent in their confidence and question their approach.
Pakistan will eat this noodley batting line up.

Especially now that it's getting cooler in Northern Indian venues , it will zip and do a fair bit under lights.
India saw that against Aussies. Kohli's drop was huge. Eng against Afghanistan and now SA vs Ned.

Bat first and be ready to face spin or bat second and face swing and seam. Very interesting indeed!

Littel bit assistance from pitch and today's world beating batsman probe they are china made seriously they

India saw that against Aussies. Kohli's drop was huge. Eng against Afghanistan and now SA vs Ned.

Bat first and be ready to face spin or bat second and face swing and seam. Very interesting indeed!
Where else do one get this kind of variety.

Since the Australia ODI series which SA won
Those were extremely good batting pitches and credit to SA they took full advantage.
Bazball is a different brand it's a bit reckless where you attack regardless of the game situation.

Indian venues are not like Dubai or Pakistani venues etc. You can never be sure if it's a bat first or a chasing venue.

Gotta be prepared to do either.

Those were extremely good batting pitches and credit to SA they took full advantage.
Bazball is a different brand it's a bit reckless where you attack regardless of the game situation.
SA did that in the first two games here too.

The ball always moves in Dharmsala even more so under lights.

South Africa in full choke mode.

In all sorts of trouble.

Loving it, WC is coming alive! :love:

Just need India now not to be so boring by winning everything and lose a few to make top four more interesting.

14 overs left. Can trust BdL but van Beeke and Ackerman gonna be targeted.

Need to use main bowlers, 9 each, they got bowlers with spare bowls

Need Netherlands to win for us
Another favour after the T20 WC

Back