ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (172/5) deliver a telling blow to Pakistan's semi-finals chances with a 5-wicket win over Sri Lanka (171)

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1699463147716.png

Glenn Maxwell’s masterclass against Afghanistan has ensured that New Zealand stay in the No.4 spot in the Cricket World Cup standings, but the Black Caps will need to push on to give themselves the best possible chance at making the knockout stages of the event.

With Pakistan and Afghanistan breathing down their necks, only an emphatic victory against Sri Lanka in Bengaluru can give some relief to Kane Williamson & Co. While a loss wouldn’t rule them out yet, the Kiwis would then leave their fate solely to other results going their way.

In what has been a topsy-turvy tournament so far, New Zealand won four games on the trot before losing to India. The side hasn’t won a game since and would love to overturn that sequence against Sri Lanka.

A three-wicket loss to Bangladesh was the island nation’s sixth defeat for the tournament, a disappointing turn of events for a side playing in conditions that favour their strengths.

While the likes of Sadeera Samarawickrama, Pathum Nissanka, and Dilshan Madushanka have shined in their departments, many of the big names haven’t quite had the tournament they would have liked.

The side can change that with a spirited display in Bengaluru.

When: November 09, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: M.Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru

Teams

New Zealand:

Kane Williamson mentioned that for the first time, their entire available squad is either fully fit or close to it. It is expected that Lockie Ferguson will replace Ish Sodhi, who struggled in the previous match against Pakistan. Additionally, Kyle Jamieson had an extended practice session in the nets on the eve of the match.

Regarding their tactics and strategy, New Zealand initially went into the last match with only two primary seam bowlers, anticipating that spin would be the most potent weapon. However, the actual outcome was quite different. Ish Sodhi conceded 44 runs in the four overs he bowled, and even Rachin Ravindra's occasional spin wasn't utilized. Even a bowler as consistent as Mitchell Santner went for 7 runs per over. Therefore, it is likely that the now-fit Lockie Ferguson will rejoin the team to share the fast-bowling responsibilities with Trent Boult and Tim Southee.

Sri Lanka:

In their previous match, Sri Lanka introduced Kusal Perera and Dhananjaya de Silva into the lineup and are likely to stick with the same combination for their upcoming match at another high-scoring venue.

When it comes to tactics and strategy, Dilshan Madushanka has been a formidable force with the new ball, ranking second in terms of the number of wickets taken during the first PowerPlay in this tournament. However, it's during the middle overs that Sri Lanka has struggled to maintain control in games. Their spinners have performed less effectively than those of all ten participating teams. In the upcoming match, they will face a significant challenge containing Rachin Ravindra, who has accumulated the most runs in the middle overs (overs 11 to 40) in this tournament.

Squads:

New Zealand Squad: Devon Conway, Rachin Ravindra, Kane Williamson(c), Daryl Mitchell, Tom Latham(w), Glenn Phillips, Mark Chapman, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Trent Boult, Lockie Ferguson, Kyle Jamieson, James Neesham, Will Young

Sri Lanka Squad: Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis(w/c), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Angelo Mathews, Dhananjaya de Silva, Maheesh Theekshana, Dushmantha Chameera, Kasun Rajitha, Dilshan Madushanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Dushan Hemantha, Chamika Karunaratne, Lahiru Kumara, Dunith Wellalage

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

This thread will be more about rain rather than match :)

Last edited by a moderator:
9 points for NZ confirmed?
No, The rain predicted is only until 6pm. So it will be atleast a 25-30 over aside match. Remember Chinnaswamy uses sub-airway technology so the water is drained off from the ground in seconds using a remote control. So once rain stops the match can be started in quicker time as compared to other grounds.

My family lives in Bengaluru and they informed me that there was no rain today although weather forecast had predicted some rain.

A shorter game is better for Sri Lanka.

I think we will see a 30-35 over game.

If match get shortened due to rain so advantage would be taken by New Zealand for sure.

Their recent t20 records are excellent against SL.

If any cricket happens then Pakistan are done , although their game against Eng would not be like semolina as PPers are assuming

No, The rain predicted is only until 6pm. So it will be atleast a 25-30 over aside match. Remember Chinnaswamy uses sub-airway technology so the water is drained off from the ground in seconds using a remote control. So once rain stops the match can be started in quicker time as compared to other grounds.

My family lives in Bengaluru and they informed me that there was no rain today although weather forecast had predicted some rain.
There was a drizzle but not the thunderstorms that were predicted.

Still think we will get a match tomorrow

Sri Lanka are low on confidence, i honestly feel that they’re under immense pressure right now and might just fall apart.

This team was 4-0 at one point
Absolutely shameful stuff

Either rain wash out or some extraordinary performance by sl team will work out for pakistan. Sl will be angry after that mathews scandal and still at risk of losing out champions trophy

Man to Man NZ wins 11-0 to SL

Pace Dept. Nz has edge due to experience

Spin dept. Nz wins due to Santner

Allroinders NZ wins due to Neesham etc

Top 3 batsman : NZ world class to SL mediocre

Fielding & Captaincy : NZ wins

Infact

Commentary : No SL commentator from Ranjit Fernando to Roshan Abenayke (late) to Jayasuriya to Arnold nobody has that style and passion like Ian Smith

We need SL to field first.

Our chances are much better if NZ bat first in a shortened game at Bangalore.

This game will likely be rained off, otherwise congrats to NZ ig

Infact

Commentary : No SL commentator from Ranjit Fernando to Roshan Abenayke (late) to Jayasuriya to Arnold nobody has that style and passion like Ian Smith

But Sri Lanka and Pakistan will have the Bengaluru clouds on their side.

12-11.

We win.

:saqi

I don’t think that game will be a washout unless it really pours down for the entire period. Both teams would like to bat second, particularly Kiwis.

this is going to be a bloodbath for the bowlers - SRL has nothing to loose, so they’ll go crazy, while Kiwis will try to finish the game asap if they chase.

On that ground, on a rain soaked day, probably 250 in 20 overs is possible!!!!

If SL roll over this game then I think PCB should request an inquiry into SL's World Cup campaign.

Pakistan have done so well to bounce back this tournament and to see this ruined by SL and their lack of performance would be an absolute disgrace.

If SL roll over this game then I think PCB should request an inquiry into SL's World Cup campaign.

Pakistan have done so well to bounce back this tournament and to see this ruined by SL and their lack of performance would be an absolute disgrace.
But regardless of what PAK did or does, SRL has been the poorest side to be honest in this WC apart from a fluke win against the Poms. They are like 5:1 or even worse odd to win this game in any case.

How about SL request an inquiry into PCB for their performances? Who asked them to lose to Afghanistan?

But regardless of what PAK did or does, SRL has been the poorest side to be honest in this WC apart from a fluke win against the Poms. They are like 5:1 or even worse odd to win this game in any case.
Early this year SL lost heavily to NZ. The made double digit scores in one of the one dayers.

Ahha funniest post of the week, everything is Sri Lanka's fault.

We lost to Afghanistan, Lanka's fault.
Mir dropped Warner, Lanka's fault.
Imam getting chance after chance, Lanka's fault yaar!!

Ahha funniest post of the week, everything is Sri Lanka's fault.

We lost to Afghanistan, Lanka's fault.
Mir dropped Warner, Lanka's fault.
Imam getting chance after chance, Lanka's fault yaar!!
Yes the PCB should launch an inquiry into Sri Lanka cricket for these failures

Infact

TBH, NZ's pace department is a bit weak. Their spearhead has had a quiet performance so far and the rest of the quicks too have not had a great tournament either.

*On the current form - SL has Madhushanka who is vastly superior to all Pacers NZ has to offer.

NZ's spin stock looks marginally better but the overall bowling makeup is of bits and pieces/part-timers who were thoroughly exposed as the tournament progressed.

NZ's batting and fielding on the other hand is world-class and several notches above SL's.

If Sri Lanka wins the toss, they should bowl first.

Hope we will have a competitive match with SL winning in the end.

It seems like it has been raining every evening in Bengaluru. So there is very good chance this game today will be rain affected.

No rain forecast on the weather app…

IMG_2891.png

Looks like Pakistan will either need to win by 225 runs or chase the target in 14 overs.

SL are done, they’re finished. I’d have higher expectations from Netherlands.

Doesn't look like a washout. Game will definitely happen. May lose a few overs. NZ strong favorites here. I feel this will close doors for Pakistan but we have no one to blame.

Sri Lanka can smash this NZ bowling attack at Bangluru

If Sri Lanka can score 344 against Pakistan’s first line bowlers in Ahmedabad, I don’t see why they cannot do the same against NZ missing 1-2 first line bowlers

Ish Sodhi can go for 100 in 7 overs if you really want it

If Sri Lanka can score 344 against Pakistan’s first line bowlers in Ahmedabad, I don’t see why they cannot do the same against NZ missing 1-2 first line bowlers

Sri Lanka can win but expect us to lose to England.

And if somehow NZ win and we need to chase in 27, expect Babar and Rizwan to play at 80 SR.

Sri Lanka can win but expect us to lose to England.

And if somehow NZ win and we need to chase in 27, expect Babar and Rizwan to play at 80 SR.
Babar and Rizwan love Willey

He is their favourite bowler. Saya Corps brand endorser

Screenshot_20231108_175005_Chrome.jpg
What am imissing? This is namma it's the closest area to the bengluru stadium. Rain starts from 12 pm continue till 7 pm

1699484942627.png

When is the cut-off time for the match? It's a D/N game, so I assume it's very late. They could probably start at 9 pm local time and squeeze in a 20 over match.

View attachment 138877

When is the cut-off time for the match? It's a D/N game, so I assume it's very late. They could probably start at 9 pm local time and squeeze in a 20 over match.
The cut-off time for a 20 over match should be around 8pm. It will be a 20-25 over aside match approximately but definitely there will be a result. The good thing for paksitan is the smaller the match the more chance for SL to win. But NZ will be bolstered by the addition of Jamieson and Ferguson. I have zero hopes from SL. They always prevent India-Pakistan final. they win ahen they should lose and lose when they should win.

The cut-off time for a 20 over match should be around 8pm. It will be a 20-25 over aside match approximately but definitely there will be a result. The good thing for paksitan is the smaller the match the more chance for SL to win. But NZ will be bolstered by the addition of Jamieson and Ferguson. I have zero hopes from SL. They always prevent India-Pakistan final. they win ahen they should lose and lose when they should win.
In paksitan match cut off time was around 7 20 pm but maybe that was because both team have already batted 20 overs

In paksitan match cut off time was around 7 20 pm but maybe that was because both team have already batted 20 overs
I calculated it as, usually there is 1 extra hour before we start losing overs. So match starts at 2pm which means we start losing overs from 3pm. At 6:30pm 1 innings is done. 7pm would be the time for 2nd innings. For a 20-20 game they need to start by 8pm the latest.

I calculated it as, usually there is 1 extra hour before we start losing overs. So match starts at 2pm which means we start losing overs from 3pm. At 6:30pm 1 innings is done. 7pm would be the time for 2nd innings. For a 20-20 game they need to start by 8pm the latest.
2pm to 7pm weather is not good many intervals of rain but they can start around 8pm 20 overs aside, benefit NZ

Qudrat ka Nizam finally kick us in the behind. Probably a lesson to be consistent in the tourneys but we are too stubborn to learn any lesson. It be funny if both NZ and Pak lose and Afg sneaks in, none the less whoever goes through, it's an easy win for India.

The shorter the game, the more chance SL can pull an upset and, if NZ win, the smaller the NRR boost surely? (I have no idea how it works)

Anyway, come on Lankans!!

Weather forecasts have improved a lot in the last few hours. No rains predicted after 3pm.

Instead of praying for rain screwing us why not hope for SL win or big win to qualify.

We should approach this like Pakistan and bowl first so we know what we need, possibly bowl out SL and and can chase accordingly.

Instead of praying for rain screwing us why not hope for SL win or big win to qualify.

We should approach this like Pakistan and bowl first so we know what we need, possibly bowl out SL and and can chase accordingly.
Why so buddy? If you are from nz and a nz supporter- why rooting for sl ? Yes everyone in ind and pak wants an ind-pak sf but you should be supporting nz !

Qudrat ka Nizam finally kick us in the behind. Probably a lesson to be consistent in the tourneys but we are too stubborn to learn any lesson. It be funny if both NZ and Pak lose and Afg sneaks in, none the less whoever goes through, it's an easy win for India.
Agreed but nz are coming into this match after losing 4 matches in a row. But for real I don't know when our team will ever perform like india/Australia I'm tired of these calculations and stuff

Weather changed a bit it's showing rain from 10 am until 3 pm things are not looking good 😅Screenshot_20231108_201435_Chrome.jpg

SL are not very good and have a terrible record against NZ

The likelihood of them winning is very slim

Pakistan's best hopes are on rain but seems like it won't be a complete washout and we'll get enough overs in to make it a shortened game

I calculated NZ by 40-50 runs or inside 42-43 overs, which roughly takes 170 runs or 20 overs.

Problem is, these days close games are rare - if NZ wins, they’ll do it big. However, SRL has a motivation of qualifying for CT & they’ll try to make it as tough as possible for BD - even if they loose, they can make it close and expect AUS to demolish us.

But, honestly Poms actually showed today what they can do…..

Weather changed now it's showing no rain after 3 pm now all our hopes are with sl team and how they perform today

Lol for now it's not looking good for pakistan there is no rain showing after 4 pm let's see we will know

Yeah looks like it will stop around then (assuming it rains at all). If it rains up to 4 PM, how long will the game be?

I'm guessing less than 50 overs?

It's an overcast morning here in Bangalore... Rain certain, dunno if it will be a washout

Yeah looks like it will stop around then (assuming it rains at all). If it rains up to 4 PM, how long will the game be?

I'm guessing less than 50 overs?
We will be start losing over after 3 pm so maybe 44 overs per side or something

The weather is so unpredictable its changed again now showing rain at 4 pm too. Can't wait for the matc time to start and hopefully it will keep on raining for most part of it

When it's overcast from the morning, generally it stays that way and won't rain. I guess there won't be much rain but will stay overcast throughout with a slight drizzle in between.

Hopefully, it rains and the SubAir drainage system malfunctions.

Anything is possible.
Man, that was funny. Dont worry umeed pe duniya kayam hain. We had so many unexpected results this season maybe SL win may be another. As an Indian fan I would feel more at ease with us playing Pakistan than NZ who have always been our bogeymen. But as a Bangalorean I can say it will rain but not a washout. It may be a 30 over match at the least as per latest forecast.

Hopefully a good game of cricket regardless of who wins, Pakistan are bang average even beating Eng is an uphill task

We will be start losing over after 3 pm so maybe 44 overs per side or something
Yes. 35-40 overs per side game. Better to chase. Whoever wins the toss
Man, that was funny. Dont worry umeed pe duniya kayam hain. We had so many unexpected results this season maybe SL win may be another. As an Indian fan I would feel more at ease with us playing Pakistan than NZ who have always been our bogeymen. But as a Bangalorean I can say it will rain but not a washout. It may be a 30 over match at the least as per latest forecast.

Thanks guys.

I think a shorter game will help SL cover the gap in skill.

A 30-35 over match will give them a good shot. Anything over that is going to be an uphill battle but still possible.

Madushanka needs to be perfect and Mendis likewise

SL in a shortened game could win on DLS but it's a big ask. Wonder how much rain will actually fall, suggests 40-60% throughout

The shorter the game, the more chance SL can pull an upset and, if NZ win, the smaller the NRR boost surely? (I have no idea how it works)

Anyway, come on Lankans!!
If Angelo Mathews is playing, then defintely!

Today we are all Sri Lankans. #Lions

Our coaching staff, expert advice, management etc is at your disposal.

NZ won't make the same mistake of playing 3 spinners in Bangalore.

They will definitely play at least 3 seam options and leave out Sodhi. Maybe even a 4th seamer in Jamieson who can exploit the bounce this track can offer at times.

Not raining yet?

If it’s been raining for a few days the ground will be wet no.
This ground can dry immediately. That's not a concern at all with the Sub Air drainage system we have.

The only concern is if there is rain throughout the day.

Back