ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (172/5) deliver a telling blow to Pakistan's semi-finals chances with a 5-wicket win over Sri Lanka (171)

Whatever moisture was there in the pitch must be gone now. SL should have looked to preserve wickets. Lost 3 wickets too many.

Only hope is if these two stitch a 200+ partnership
I don't think anything can save us this time, we're done. It's over. 😔

I think SL know from experience it gonna rain late in the innings and hence they are going hell for leather early...
the run rate is pretty healthy

LOL no, they can't. It was a one-off win. It was like Bangladesh defeating Pakistan in the 1999 world cup. They've never been able to do it again. The victories for Afghanistan in this world cup are similar. This is their peak and they've reached it
how many times has Afghanistan taken the game to the last over or last wicket vs pakistan
I remember naseem shah bailing us out twice
Pakistan hasn't dominated Afghanistan in recent times always close games

how many times has Afghanistan taken the game to the last over or last wicket vs pakistan
I remember naseem shah bailing us out twice
Pakistan hasn't dominated Afghanistan in recent times always close games

What does that have to do with anything? I'm sure we've had close games with Bangladesh as well over the years but they're unable to beat us and its the same for Afghanistan. One lucky win but they will never be able to repeat this regardless of how close the odd game gets.

Pitch have something in it but sl batters thought this is 400 pitch lol

Oh the semi thing. But Pak can still qualify. Thump England and earn the semi spot.
Lol on the first line... Nice wording.

Of course they WILL qualify. We are talking about Kudrat ka Nizam and Pakistan's sole proprietorship over it.

Ouch tough way to go, but hopefully we just beat England to end on a good note. In the end the better team is going through.

This is last batting pair they should atleast play close to 45 overs

Mathews is gone fair and square this time. Sri Lanka is 6 down now for 104.

We don't deserve to play in th finals just on the basis that we let this crap team score 350 against us which could have been 400.

God, NZ win is giving me jitters as an Indian fan. They somehow seem to have the upper hand over us in WCs unlike Pakistan who usually find ways to lose top us. Come on SL please do a miracle.

Mathews was mentored by Jaywardene and Sangakkara. He was expected to step up and be the main Sri Lankan batsman after their retirement. A huge dissapointment, did not take his game to the next level. Sri Lanka axed him as captain and dropped him from the team eventually

lol nz going to win before a drop of rain falls
but it's ok because we're going to win against england by 1500 runs right 😂

Prefer Pakistan over the Kiwis in a KO.

Rain update-
Bangalore weather is unpredictable. IIRC it rained entire November in 2016. It has been raining daily evening around 5-6pm this week though, ranging from light drizzle to heavier in some parts. Right now its bright but with cloud cover,occassionally sun peeking out for a very short duration (10 kms from the ground). It may rain today too, but will it result a washout- no one would be able to tell.

Edit-
Srilanka lost 6 already, NZ could wrap this up sooner than the rain.

What was the strategy behind playing t10 t20 from sl batsmen? They hardly can play a 50 overs. I don't see them survive anther 8-10 overs

SL showing their minnow level mentality by this mindless aggression.

Let's hope these two can bat for 20 overs and take maximum time out of the match. It's possible just need them to hang on and take SL to 200 runs.

This is the 4th game at this stadium and I have seen first 10-12 overs of each game ball by ball. Its astonishing to notice how pathetic PAK new ball bowling has gone to.

This wicket has decent bounce but solid & flat like bone / for first 10- 12 overs, new ball moves a bit off the track and aided by true bounce, makes it little uncomfortable for batsmen - IF, bowlers can hit the deck hard on upright seem at the right spot….

SRL got Poms for 150is total, looks like Kiwis same…. In contrast PAK new ball bowling gave 150 like inside 20 overs for 1 wicket may be.

Instead of showy names, a proper bowling coach with fundamental knowledge on skilled pace bowling & few young bowlers based on the FC stats is the first priority after WC. Don’t pick pacers based on 4 overs cricket and stats based on old ball heroics.

Pitch is turning .... at least get to 150-170, make it tight so that NZ NRR does not get a big boost.

Sri Lanka are perennial losers

Stupid to expect anything from these jokers

Thanks alot for costing Pakistan a semi final spot!

This is the 4th game at this stadium and I have seen first 10-12 overs of each game ball by ball. Its astonishing to notice how pathetic PAK new ball bowling has gone to.

This wicket has decent bounce but solid & flat like bone / for first 10- 12 overs, new ball moves a bit off the track and aided by true bounce, makes it little uncomfortable for batsmen - IF, bowlers can hit the deck hard on upright seem at the right spot….

SRL got Poms for 150is total, looks like Kiwis same…. In contrast PAK new ball bowling gave 150 like inside 20 overs for 1 wicket may be.

Instead of showy names, a proper bowling coach with fundamental knowledge on skilled pace bowling & few young bowlers based on the FC stats is the first priority after WC. Don’t pick pacers based on 4 overs cricket and stats based on old ball heroics.
2 different pitches . PAK played on the flatter pitches.

SL have played on pitches with a bit more bounce

Surely West Indies aren't worse than these guys?
They are, Sri Lanka is not at full strength.

Out of every team they faced the most injuries. Although this team is weaker then current West indies

Most likely scenario-
NZ will Chase in 35 overs then Pakistan need to win by 225 runs or chase in 14 overs
SRL doesn’t agree with you - they have higher expectations on PAK …. 300+ runs or inside 10 overs.

Back