ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (172/5) deliver a telling blow to Pakistan's semi-finals chances with a 5-wicket win over Sri Lanka (171)

Can’t wait to see Papua New Guinea in place of Sri Lanka next WC!

Sri Lanka are perennial losers

Stupid to expect anything from these jokers

Thanks alot for costing Pakistan a semi final spot!

If Pakistan loses a semi final spot it will be entirely because of ….Pakistan.

Be it individuals or nations, the world doesn’t owe you a single thing except what you earn on your own.

No one in SL lineup can play red-inker innings.
What a awesome way to spoil long weekend.

Mathews was mentored by Jaywardene and Sangakkara. He was expected to step up and be the main Sri Lankan batsman after their retirement. A huge dissapointment, did not take his game to the next level. Sri Lanka axed him as captain and dropped him from the team eventually
Why did they bring him back?

How did Pakistan lose to this Sri Lankan team in the Asia Cup Final in 2022 and Asia Cup in 2023?

How did they allow Sri Lanka to score 344 against them in the WC?

More than taking care of PAK, Lankan boys are allowing our sorry bunch the luxury of losing to Australia by 200 margin….

Bd and eng deserved to be In the champions trophy ahead of these dummies

Looks like sri lanka were playing for the rain coming down much earlier so that NZ have a stiff chase in 20-25 overs.
Blowing up in their faces now.

How did Pakistan lose to this Sri Lankan team in the Asia Cup Final in 2022 and Asia Cup in 2023?

That 2022 Asia Cup was no fluke they actually played well and that 2023 pakistan played awful

If Pakistan loses a semi final spot it will be entirely because of ….Pakistan.

Be it individuals or nations, the world doesn’t owe you a single thing except what you earn on your own.
Absolutely correct. Pakistan would have been in a much better position if they had scored 310-320 against Afghan & SA.

Folks lamenting Sri Lanka’s sorry performance in this World Cup should remember that they almost didnt make it to the World Cup and had to play qualifiers.

Their performance is reflective of their capacity.

As I always say: cricket is a sport on a retreat. Outside the big 3, all other countries are struggling in ODI & Test cricket.

SL is not in the WC to take Pak to the SFs nor is any other team. Who stopped Pakistan from winning other matches? If you cannot go the SFs on your own then you dont deserve to be in one.

This has to be one painful morning if you are a Pakistan fan
Well no one expected NZ to come back to full strength so quickly.

Southee is back in form so even though Henry is a loss, it's not a huge loss.

Max Henry would replace ferguson but otherwise the team is solid.

Mark Chapman is also a solid replacement for neesham, so not alot of damage done. This shows why NZ is a good team.

They prepared a string of 20 to 30 players. Only sodhi is the weak link but doubt he'll play, sodhi is probs dropped forever after this cup

Different mindset.

Sri lanka faced India and the confidence is gone.

Different mindset. Sri lanka faced India and now their confidence is zero

How? We are at fault. We couldn't beat a single top side barring nz where we conceded 400. One wicket away from losing that too.

We are the real losers here. Can't rely on other teams. Anyway let's just try and smash England and see what happens. Most likely it's over for us. We should focus on winning champions trophy in 2025

A washout would help both Pakistan and SL.

A washout means Pakistan can be through to semi (if they beat England) and SL can be through to CT 2025 (provided BD don't beat Aus or NED don't beat India).

Sunshine now.

Stop blaming Sri Lanka, we are in this situation because we are rubbish. New Zealand capitulating under pressure was the only reason we came close to qualifying, we should have had no hope in hell after the pathetic displays against India, Australia, Afghanistan and South Africa.

Don't deserve to go through, simple as that.

Stop blaming Sri Lanka, we are in this situation because we are rubbish. New Zealand capitulating under pressure was the only reason we came close to qualifying, we should have had no hope in hell after the pathetic displays against India, Australia, Afghanistan and South Africa.

Well yh, I feel bad for Afghanistan not Pakistan lol.

Afg deserved a semi's more then pak, and might have made it. Maxwell pulled an atg out of nowhere

Nz lost back to back 4 matches and they have hardly beaten any top side too. Both pak and nz sucks same time bro

Sri Lanka were stronger then.

They had Hasaranga, Gunathilaka, and Rajapaksa.

This SL side is missing some key players.

As a fellow Indian I have to ask- now even the Bangalore weather is a troll?
Expect Pakistani fans to say, India deliberately lied on their weather forecasts to troll. These reporters should be forced from their jobs for misinformation 😂😂

Afg deserved a semi's more then pak, and might have made it. Maxwell pulled an atg out of nowhere
Nhq afghan chokers don't deserve anything. Dropped catches. Unfit players. Physically weak as well. Not one pacer who can bol fast.

Poor captaincy and poor bowling, so I have no sympathies for Afghanistan sorry.

They also got smashed and their NRR reflects that.

Good improvement over their previous performances though, so you can give them that.

Neither Afghanistan nor Pakistan deserve to go through. They just haven't played enough quality cricket and NZ has comparatively.

Poor captaincy and poor bowling, so I have no sympathies for Afghanistan sorry.

They also got smashed and their NRR reflects that.

Good improvement over their previous performances though, so you can give them that.

Neither Afghanistan nor Pakistan deserve to go through. They just haven't played enough quality cricket and NZ has comparatively.
Oh bhai, you don't need to have sympathises. I'm giving my own opinion.

Regardless check my post on October 9th on the predict semi finalist thread.

I had predicted aus, NZ, India and Sa semi finalists over a month ago.

who says it’s over?

Sri Lanka can still bowl and rain can still fall.

#HopeNotOut

Lucky guess.
Not a lucky guess.

Sa were bazzballing and destroyed aus a series prior. India had won Asia cup.

Only guess was NZ and Aus but nz has a track record of always making it like they have for the past few years now especially 2015 and 2019 and aus is a team that's comes through.

So it isn't as lucky. Eng I always kept saying would flop, because Stokes, Bairstow, Butler, Root were out of it and anyone who followed England cricket knew.

SL have really played associate level cricket at this WC.

Its probably too late now?

Better for Pakistan to approach the England game with a nothing to lose mindset. Aim to get England to bat first, get them out cheaply and then chase quickly

Least Lanka could have got 250 and make NZ earn it. This is total easy surrender!

Santner getting 50% more turn today. What flat pitch ?
I think, he is bowling lot slower & giving lot more air. Had SRL been 140/2 now, he would have been lot flatter & faster. Definitely not 350-400 wicket, but no where near 114/8 track

I think, he is bowling lot slower & giving lot more air. Had SRL been 140/2 now, he would have been lot flatter & faster. Definitely not 350-400 wicket, but no where near 114/8 track
Bro, he was slowing it up even in other matches esp. vs England and vs BD and AFG but wasnt getting this much turn or bounce.

I agree it's not 114/8 pitch but it's more like 260-270 track.

Back