ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (172/5) deliver a telling blow to Pakistan's semi-finals chances with a 5-wicket win over Sri Lanka (171)

NZ really turned up to win this. It will be nice to see a new world champ between final of SA vs NZ, but we ll likely get Aus vs Ind.

NZ is India's boogeyman team so could surprise India like it did in 2019 semi, and if SA bat first against Aussies then they ll have a strong chance, if SA bat's second it's all done for them.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, he isn't good enough but some of the guys you have named haven't even cemented a spot themselves so on what basis should they get the captaincy?

Rizwan is probably the most secure but there is always a risk with WK and top order batsman being a captain too, he's already working on an intense level, adding captaincy to it is a risk
Same here Rizwan for me too but than it will effect his performance too. But either Rizwan or Shaheen I'm just don't with Babar dumb decisions and players selections

There is still hope for quadrat ka nizaam boys

If Sri Lanka bowl out newzealand under 50 or so

Sri Lanka will need to borrow the swinging balls off india though

Only if we had dropped useless Shoaib Malik before and played Haris Sohail, we would have won the 2019 World Cup match against Australia and progressed to the semis and eventually have won that World Cup.

Only if the umpire had given Shamsi out, we would have beaten South Africa and gone through to the semis.
Would have also won this World Cup as no one can stop us when we pick momentum like we have picked up now. We can even chase 400

2 World Cups lost by very little margin 😕

Look at India, they can afford to field a totally different set of players against NL but will they kill the momentum?
They will lose the knockout match like they have been doing for 10 years now

Momentum or no momentum doesn't matter

Pakistan players should pack their bags for flight home

if they can just play out 50 overs.

im sure rain is on its way, rastay mein haii, thora sabr kar lanka.

I hope umpires taken an extended lunch break

if they can just play out 50 overs.

im sure rain is on its way, rastay mein haii, thora sabr kar lanka.

I hope umpires taken an extended lunch break
Dude, give it a rest.
There was no rain predicted for the evening.

Only if we had dropped useless Shoaib Malik before and played Haris Sohail, we would have won the 2019 World Cup match against Australia and progressed to the semis and eventually have won that World Cup.

Only if the umpire had given Shamsi out, we would have beaten South Africa and gone through to the semis.
Would have also won this World Cup as no one can stop us when we pick momentum like we have picked up now. We can even chase 400

Pakistan are not good enough just admit it

What's cost you the the world cup is your no 1 ranking world class batsmen playing at a snail pace

And your world class bowlers not able to take wickets when playing big boys

And your captain babar with non existent captaincy

New Zealand confirmed as the first finalists. Even Uganda can beat India in a knockout game

Hope South Africa beat Australia

So New Zealand vs South Africa
We will have a first time winner in this World Cup

New Zealand confirmed as the first finalists. Even Uganda can beat India in a knockout game

Sahib 🤣🤣🤣

come on, to be fair, India did beat kenya to pla a world cup final that they lost to AUSTRALIA

Lost? You're acting as if we had reached semi's it would be an easy victory for semi and final.

Don't keep looking at if only, if only. Blame Pakistan for being morons.

forge the nrr, babar willl play shadab who will full toss the nrr out of our favor

Losing is fine it’s how you lose. SL has been pathetic to say the least. They deserve the humiliation of not making CT which will be the first time ever for them.

There is no guarantee we would have won

Lost? You're acting as if we had reached semi's it would be an easy victory for semi and final.

Don't keep looking at if only, if only. Blame Pakistan for being morons.
No one can beat us when we pick up momentum

But we pick up momentum very late. Next World Cup has 14 teams- I bet we would have enough time to screw up and then pick up momentum and still qualify for semis and win the whole thing InshAllah

Every single one of your predictions has gone wrong.

You have set a world record in that field. But khair, team gives you hope.

But we pick up momentum very late. Next World Cup has 14 teams- I bet we would have enough time to screw up and then pick up momentum and still qualify for semis and win the whole thing InshAllah
We picked up momentum in 2015 for a turning wins against sa and Ireland, but got beaten to smithereens by Australia.

We picked up momentum in 2022 t20 cup by giving a respite and crushing nz, we still lost to England.

We had momentum through the entire 2021 wc t20 asai cup 2022 and still lost the final and the semi final.

This momentum stuff only worked in 2017, and 1992.

You're acting as if it happens 24/7

NZ letting it slip and not closing out? 150 + is an improvement on where they were....
not ruthless enough

We picked up momentum in 2015 for a turning wins against sa and Ireland, but got beaten to smithereens by Australia.

We picked up momentum in 2022 t20 cup by giving a respite and crushing nz, we still lost to England.

We had momentum through the entire 2021 wc t20 asai cup 2022 and still lost the final and the semi final.

dil kay khush rakhnay ko ghalib ye khyal acha hai

Let him enjoy his fantasies.

You're living in a fairy tail 😂😂.

In 2015, Rahat Ali's drop catch costed us
Otherwise Australia were down and out

In 2022 final, Shaheen got injured otherwise many ex-cricketers have said we would have won that match. I feel likewise as well

In 2021, Hasan Ali's drop catch costed us. Otherwise that match was won as well.

NZ letting it slip and not closing out? 150 + is an improvement on where they were....
not ruthless enough

Slip really? How much more can the tailenders add even if they play the remaining overs? You think chasing 200 would be difficult for NZ here?

In 2022 final, Shaheen got injured otherwise many ex-cricketers have said we would have won that match. I feel likewise as well

In 2021, Hasan Ali's drop catch costed us. Otherwise that match was won as well.

I like how you have an excuse for everything. Is tara tu, we would've won this world cup had Naseem played haina? We would've won the 1999 world cup had Saeed Anwar not been too old and tired in the final? Let's come up with more of these, I like this.

there is no such thing as momentum in cricket.

If we beat, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Netherlands? THat is momentum? No

You just face a better team eventaully that beats the crap out of you.

@mominsaigol as explained it well

And in the other world cups, CT's , Asia cups...was it El nino, global Warming or the greenhouse effect :)...Meanwhile SL tailenders puuting up a fight

Australia was not down and out. They beat us in 33 overs with 6 wickets in hand? What on earth are you talking about? It's just wahab's spell which was iconic but his spell wouldn't have done a damn thing to the putcome?

As I said you're living in fantasies. Not gonna address the other games cause its a fantasy.

Also that just contradicts your point. You said when we're on a roll we are unbeatable. Now you're saying we lost because we were in a roll but unforseen circumstances happened?

And in the other world cups, CT's , Asia cups...was it El nino, global Warming or the greenhouse effect :)
Australia nuked us in 33 overs with 6 wickets in hand in quater finals bro. They dominated us. Dude is delusional.

By that logic , Bumrahs no ball cost India 2017 CT, and not the fact they were dubbed by a better team on the day?

there is no such thing as momentum in cricket.

If we beat, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and Netherlands? THat is momentum? No

You just face a better team eventaully that beats the crap out of you.

@mominsaigol as explained it well
Bro aus crushed us in 33 overs.

Wahab's spell of Watson would have just made them win by 5 wickets rather them 6 lol.

They killed us, credit to wahab but he wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Guys, this is the Sri Lanka vs. New Zealand thread. For other discussions, use their specific threads.

I don't know for me Latham have captained the nz team better as compare to Williamson last 2 games

By that logic , Bumrahs no ball cost India 2017 CT, and not the fact they were dubbed by a better team on the day?

In 2015 aus beat us by 6 wickets in 33 overs lol. The catch drop of rahat would have made aus win by 5 wickets not 6. But aus had won, they weren't down and out.

In 2021, aus wasn't down and out. They were crushing us and hasan Ali drop catch would have just made them win in the final over and not the absolute end.

2022 shaheen maybe, I don't remember, I need to revisit the highlights for that game

Last edited by a moderator:
They got hammered by 180 runs
A single event didn't change that match

The ones that I have mentioned are matches that were very close and could have gone either way

SL are very strange team. They can score 300+ against SA, score 340 odd against Pak, but lose to Afg, and can bat in extremely poorly get 55 on another day which they got against India!

They got hammered by 180 runs
A single event didn't change that match

The ones that I have mentioned are matches that were very close and could have gone either way
First you said wahab's single event would have somehow got us to win even though aus had more then 17 overs and 6 wickets in hand.

And now you're saying the bumrah event wouldn't matter and change the outcome.

Bro he's lying.

In 2015 aus beat us by 6 wickets in 33 overs lol. The catch drop of rahat would have made aus win by 5 wickets not 6. But aus had won, they weren't down and out.

In 2021, aus wasn't down and out. They were crushing us and hasan Ali drop catch would have just made them win in the final over and not the absolute end.

2022 shaheen maybe, I don't remember, I need to revisit the highlights for that game
Bet, you didn't watch the 2015 Quarter final

It was much more closer than the scoreboard at the end suggests. Watch highlights on YouTube to understand

Even it rains, I don’t think it’ll be heavy enough not to allow 20 overs. Only hope is SRL keeping kiwis in batting for 45+ overs, if they don’t win it outright. But kiwis also know the maths …..

Back