ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (172/5) deliver a telling blow to Pakistan's semi-finals chances with a 5-wicket win over Sri Lanka (171)

Regardless , their pace reserves are terrible. After Matt Henry , they have one mediocrity after another.

Jamieson hasn't really lived up to his potential and has struggled after injury.

Ben Lister , Henry Shipley , Jacob Duffy , Blair Tickner are the next in line .

They make PAK trundlers look decent
Lol what trundler are you talking about.??
Haris is the fastest bowler in the world cup on average speed. He may not have had a good world cup but he is the fastest bowler in the world.

Lol Indian bowlers can't even match mohd waseem's speer let alone Haris rauf.

Sri Lanka should bowl out Madushunka early. He can get 5 or 6 wickets quickly.

Kiwis are quite strong against pace. Madushanka shouldn't be an issue.

Only spinners may pose an issue but this SL side doesn't have any major spinner.

I expect NZ to come out all guns blazing to try and get this total before any rain arrives and also to boost nrr

Southee is an absolute trundler. The likes of @Aman consider this dibbly dobbler as part of their first choice attack.

As if this trundler would have made any difference with his presence in bilaterals.
He might still be enough for rohit.
Gill is another one who is laughable Vs swing and spin

Kiwis are quite strong against pace. Madushanka shouldn't be an issue.

Only spinners may pose an issue but this SL side doesn't have any major spinner.
Theeksana hardly a spinner and totally put of form

New Zealand is chasing it in 20-25 overs.

We’re done and dusted.

Deservedly so.

If NZ chases it down in 25 overs, Pak will have to beat Eng by 250 runs approximately.
Unless Sri Lanka win this, we can safely assume Pak are out, regardless of nrr calculations. Although possible mathematically, in reality the equation for nrr qualification was always going to be unrealistic.

If NZ chases it down in 25 overs, Pak will have to beat Eng by 250 runs approximately.
Sounds like the most realistic scenario from here on in.

A repeat of a 2019 WC. Where Pakistan needed to beat Bangladesh for like 300 runs I think. I can't quite recall the number.

Angelo Mathews. You wasnt timed out today by you was caught out this match. Let your batting do the talk instead of unprofessionally disrespecting another country which aided you in your country’s economic crisis recently.
Bro there is a video evidence of Matthew being at the crease about to take guard with five seconds remaining. Please look it up.

A repeat of a 2019 WC. Where Pakistan needed to beat Bangladesh for like 300 runs I think. I can't quite recall the number.
Everyone was saying Pakistan would score 500 in that match and would get Bangladesh out for 40 😂😂

I don't think they will want to risk 30 overs if rain is forecast. They will want to finish this in 20 or 25

If they take too much risk, they can lose a lot of wickets. Wicket column impacts Duckworth score.

Better to ensure 20 overs of game first (while keeping wickets in hand) and then proceed from there.

After 20 overs, rain becomes a non-issue.

Very careless approach from them today. Hopes of two Asian nations rest on their shoulders and they’re doing monkey business.

Extremely disappointed as an Asian today.

This is not Asian brotherhood and this is not what would help us achieve the Asian century goal
Asians never help each other. Trashbag of a community. So yea. Expect this.

Yes. We may see a repeat of 2019 WC (Pakistan finishing 5th).

I guess even during the mid innings show of the final between Aus and NZ, the broadcasters will still show daily routine. I mean, how cringey can they be with the daily dose of King Kohli segment 🙏🏻

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess even during the mid innings show of the final between Aus and NZ, the broadcasters will still show Virat's dog's daily routine. I mean, how cringey can they be with the daily dose of King Kohli segment 🙏🏻

Too many cringy stuffs in world cricket nowadays.

I miss the good old days (early-2000's and 1990's) when it was just about cricket. Things were simpler and more entertaining.

Rachin needs to have a bad day at office today. He is scoring runs like anything. This will be chased inside 25 overs if he stays.

I guess even during the mid innings show of the final between Aus and NZ, the broadcasters will still show Virat's dog's daily routine. I mean, how cringey can they be with the daily dose of King Kohli segment 🙏🏻
Well you're watching on sky sports that's why, it's an Indian owned channel

First you said wahab's single event would have somehow got us to win even though aus had more then 17 overs and 6 wickets in hand.

And now you're saying the bumrah event wouldn't matter and change the outcome.
I was just quoting this guy to laugh at him and then realized you'd already said the same.

I had warned him to take a break from cricket last week. It's really affecting his state of mind.

We picked up momentum in 2015 for a turning wins against sa and Ireland, but got beaten to smithereens by Australia.

We picked up momentum in 2022 t20 cup by giving a respite and crushing nz, we still lost to England.

We had momentum through the entire 2021 wc t20 asai cup 2022 and still lost the final and the semi final.

This momentum stuff only worked in 2017, and 1992.

You're acting as if it happens 24/7
Everything sounds bad if you remember it.

Lol what trundler are you talking about.??
Haris is the fastest bowler in the world cup on average speed. He may not have had a good world cup but he is the fastest bowler in the world.

Lol Indian bowlers can't even match mohd waseem's speer let alone Haris rauf.
Doesn't matter what they clock. Rauf has been rinsed worse than a village trundler in this World Cup.

Congrats on winning the speedgun cup - whichever speed gun measures how fast you get smashed out of the park. Rauf is definitely #1 at that

First you said wahab's single event would have somehow got us to win even though aus had more then 17 overs and 6 wickets in hand.

And now you're saying the bumrah event wouldn't matter and change the outcome.

2015 Wahab overs were kind of overrated. Aussies cruised to a win eventually.

2011 Wahab in Mohali was much better. Took a 5-fer.

I was just quoting this guy to laugh at him and then realized you'd already said the same.

I had warned him to take a break from cricket last week. It's really affecting his state of mind.

Before this cup, he said babar azam is the best batsmen produced by cricket all time and wr have a great team. He said this Pakistan team is the best Pakistan team and strong, its no 1 ranked.

Then I wrote an essay to him explaining why he's wrong. And he said this team gives me hope.

After Pakistan lost 4 on the dot, I asked him if the team gives him hope, and he said that he's going to cry on his bed 💀.

He has a habit of doing that. Writing essays to explain why I'm wrong or others are wrong and then when reality hits him, he starts crying and says all hope is lost 😂😂.

That 2015 Wahab spell was kind of overrated. Aussies cruised to a win eventually.

2011 Wahab spell in Mohali was much better.
Ik bro, I already said aus nuked us in 33 overs lol.

Also Watson catch fidnt cost anything.

Smith was bullying us more then Watson and was bullying wahab too, then maxwell came and nuked everyone including wahab lol.

It’s just sad stuff.
Asians are better than this and I will always stand by that.

We picked up momentum in 2015 for a turning wins against sa and Ireland, but got beaten to smithereens by Australia.

We picked up momentum in 2022 t20 cup by giving a respite and crushing nz, we still lost to England.

We had momentum through the entire 2021 wc t20 asai cup 2022 and still lost the final and the semi final.

This momentum stuff only worked in 2017, and 1992.

You're acting as if it happens 24/7
2017 CT final is something I never forget. Amir single handedly won that final. The score was nothing for in-form Kohli, Dhawan and Rohit.
I was sad for team India but in awe of Mohd Amir. What a bowler.

Before this cup, he said babar azam is the best batsmen produced by cricket all time and wr have a great team. He said this Pakistan team is the best Pakistan team and strong, its no 1 ranked.

Then I wrote an essay to him explaining why he's wrong. And he said this team gives me hope.

After Pakistan lost 4 on the dot, I asked him if the team gives him hope, and he said that he's going to cry on his bed 💀.

He has a habit of doing that. Writing essays to explain why I'm wrong or others are wrong and then when reality hits him, he starts crying and says all hope is lost 😂😂.

During the early part of the tournament, I wrote that reaching 12 points didn't guarantee qualification for semi as there could've been NRRs involved.

He scolded me for that. LOL.

Seems like a blind fan.

2017 CT final is something I never forget. Amir single handedly won that final. The score was nothing for in-form Kohli, Dhawan and Rohit.
I was sad for team India but in awe of Mohd Amir. What a bowler.
Pakistan has picked up momentum and been unstoppable 100%.

But thay only happened in 1992 and 2017. My issue is saqib is acting as if it happens 24/7. It doesn't. 2015, 2022 and 2021 was not the case despite picking up momentum.

And even when we do pick up momentum, lucky events are still needed to happen like bumrah no ball.

Had that not been a no ball who knows what would have happened since fakhar did bulk of the scoring.

Sl clearly played for the rain and now close to getting knocked out of the champions trophy as well

This NZ side was expected to be too good for SL. Nothing surprising here.

I believe SL are the friendliest toward Pakistan out of all Asian sides (Pakistan have had conflicts with other Asian boards but not SLCB).

If NZ chase this in 35 overs, PAK have to beat ENG by 225 runs or chase down England's score in 14 overs to beat NZ on NRR

Only option would be to bat first and get 400. NZ will get this in 30 or less you'd imagine. We are mostly out now.

Don't know what can happen here
Last I heard was Sri Lanka have been asking to borrow the special balls india use in their matches

I can see blue sky. There will not be any rain atleast for 2-3 hours, unless the sky is different over Chinnaswamy.

Even if NZ chase this down in 49 overs , PAK need to beat England by 137 runs or chase down England's total in 27 overs.

NZ just need to win here tbh

New Zealand can do this in 25 overs easy. That'll make their NRR jump to 0.716.
Pakistan then will need to chase 300 runs in 6 overs if England Bat first to surpass and get to 0.726.
This is how improbable it has become.

Back